THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    A Bigger Texas Buck has been Killed???
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Bigger Texas Buck has been Killed???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
ALso, just for the record, I will be hunting for a few days in December for the price of a $3 application and the cost of license, gas, etc.

Yep, that's right: on state-owned land in Texas.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9410 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
see, bud - this is what i am talking about. for the cost of a tag and less than 10 dollars in gas (even with an old 73 chevy with a 350 4bbl, a regular joe in montana can be out there shooting whitetails, mulies, pronghorn, elk, birds up the wazoo and lord knows what else. on public or private land.

yeah, Tas, we'd all like to be living in a place where there is unlimited free land to hunt on and undisturbed game. And we could walk out our door and start hunting for free on public land. But that ain't the world these days. There are too many people (most of whom were raised in the city and don't know nuttin' about huntin'). In Texas, there are lots of folks who like/support hunting, but there are not a bazillion acres of free FEDERAL land close by. So we have to pay to enjoy our sport. And even then, we can't afford to pay for several thousand acres to bum around on. So we may have to sit in a stand. But we are part of the hunting fraternity, and it is tiresome to have to defend these good folks, who are ON OUR SIDE against holier-than-thou folks who live where the local situation, demographics, terrain, populaton density, etc. are different.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
tasunkawitko wrote:
quote:
i may have been pulling a few chains earlier, but the discussion on the differences is what i am after.

Yes, there are differences, but those things, for the most part, will not change. Private land will remain private here in Texas. And I hope the public land out West remains as-is: accessible to all.

But to make snide remarks about Texas time and again is a fruitless endeavor and serves no real purpose. beer

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9410 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SkyJacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
KSTEPHENS suffers from classic tunnel vision as it applies to reasoning, logic and the ability to weigh circumstances in a realistic light. Anything that falls outside the parameters of his narrow view are "in the dark" and thus wrong in his mind. And, his ability to comprehend anything outside of or beyond such an embryonic viewpoint is extremely limited, if not impossible, and triggers his often-aggressive rendition of commentary.

In other words, he can go to the store, buy a pint of vanilla ice cream and be convinced that it's butter pecan. The label can say vanilla, the ice cream can look and taste like vanilla -- and a chemical profile can guarantee that it is, indeed, vanilla.

But KSTEPHENS will still argue vehemently that it's butter pecan.

Well this time it looks like he saw vanilla and said it was vanilla. But I'm no expert.

Posts: 177 | Location: Savannah, GA | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i guess the whole question would be moot if some people werent so obsessed with proving thier manhood by shootin a BIG deer.
i have never thought that the size of the particular animal was a variable in the quality of the hunt or an indicator of the skill of the hunter.

i guess when you shoot a big ol monster buck it means you are an expert rifleman, quality game tracker, ethically sound, virile man stud.

not that you can write a check.

amazing how those old guys up in the mountains of west virgina ever managed to get a woman pregnant shooting those mountain does.

maybe someday people will stop having to prove themselves and be able to enjoy the hunt.

for those of you that have ever written that check $3500-$5000 whatever to shoot a big 160"+ deer, after the kill when you were showing off the mount and the pics to the guys at the office did you really "feel" like you were a better man than them or was it that you just needed to have others tell you how great of a hunter you were?

why was it worth soo much money to shoot a deer absed on how big his antlers were?

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
KSTEPHENS,

Different people hunt for different reasons. Some hunt for meat, some hunt for trophies, and some just try to shoot lots of critters. They do it because they like it. Who are you to judge how I hunt? Or how Billy Bob hunts? Or even how the guy that drops $10,000 for a buck hunts? Are we not all hunters? Shouldn't we be standing together against the PETA dickheads? Personally, I LOVE big Whitetail racks. I have yet to kill a true monster though. To date, my biggest buck is an 8-point that scores right at 130 and I hunted all season for that buck and shot him on New Years Day of 2003. But when I hold a set of 170"+ sheds, I am truly mesmorized. It has nothing to do with proving how big my pecker is, or putting my name in a record book. I just LOVE a big set of antlers. You can bet, I'll never put an animal in the record book. I have killed several "record book" quality exotics but none of them are in any books. They're on my wall and that's good enough for me. I'm going to Namibia next year with my family and one of my main goals is a big old "blue bull" Eland that is at least 34-35". The reason for this is because I already shot an Eland here in Texas back in 2003, but I want to hunt Eland again. Putting a size minimum will give me something to shoot for. If I didn't care what size animal I shot, I would simply shoot the first Eland male I saw. So.......before you judge, use your brain a little bit.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
its the quest for these big huge monster racks that led to selective breeding, genetic enhanments and artificial supplements.
as soon as these "ranches" figured out they could grow big bucks they also realized they needed to keep "their" deer seperate so they could charge people to shoot them.
thus high fencing.
the next logical step will be to identify the gene reposible for the antler growth in abnormally large racks and alter deer geneticly to produce those racks.
the problem is when those altered deer also have other genetic abnormalities that are useen.
withing the next 5 years your gonna see deer pushing 225"+ popping up on these "ranches".

rergardless of how you feel about animals, i dont think that you think we should be altering them for the mere point of shooting them, or do you?

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
ALso, just for the record, I will be hunting for a few days in December for the price of a $3 application and the cost of license, gas, etc.

Yep, that's right: on state-owned land in Texas.

good to hear! good luck on your hunt!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olarmy:
quote:
see, bud - this is what i am talking about. for the cost of a tag and less than 10 dollars in gas (even with an old 73 chevy with a 350 4bbl, a regular joe in montana can be out there shooting whitetails, mulies, pronghorn, elk, birds up the wazoo and lord knows what else. on public or private land.

yeah, Tas, we'd all like to be living in a place where there is unlimited free land to hunt on and undisturbed game. And we could walk out our door and start hunting for free on public land.....there are not a bazillion acres of free FEDERAL land close by.......

you missed the part where i including private land. that's where i do all my hunting.

quote:
But that ain't the world these days

you're right, but it is montana, thank God.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But to make snide remarks about Texas time and again is a fruitless endeavor and serves no real purpose.

actually, i acheived my objective quite successfully. i managed to twist a few pairs of panties, and it was a nice ending to an otherwise wild day Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
its the quest for these big huge monster racks that led to selective breeding, genetic enhanments and artificial supplements....rergardless of how you feel about animals, i dont think that you think we should be altering them for the mere point of shooting them,

+1 with a BIG AMEN attached.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
check out these freaks of nature.
do they make a realtree lab coat?
UltraDeerâ„¢

One of Us
Picture of Copidosoma
posted Hide Post
those are some of the ugliest deer I've seen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
they have them registered like show dogs.
thats what its gonna get to. it'll be like the AKC breeders cup.
deer are gonna become the show dogs of the wildlife world.

can you imagine the exessive amounts of calcium those antlers must need?
what does that do to the deers system?

wonder what it would be like if these "hunters" decided that body mass was prized over antler size?
they would be darting them with juice and steroids.
or turkeys w/ spurs the size of swords and beards like zztop.

One of Us
Picture of SkyJacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
i guess the whole question would be moot if some people werent so obsessed with proving thier manhood by shootin a BIG deer.
i have never thought that the size of the particular animal was a variable in the quality of the hunt or an indicator of the skill of the hunter.

i guess when you shoot a big ol monster buck it means you are an expert rifleman, quality game tracker, ethically sound, virile man stud.

not that you can write a check.

amazing how those old guys up in the mountains of west virgina ever managed to get a woman pregnant shooting those mountain does.

maybe someday people will stop having to prove themselves and be able to enjoy the hunt.

for those of you that have ever written that check $3500-$5000 whatever to shoot a big 160"+ deer, after the kill when you were showing off the mount and the pics to the guys at the office did you really "feel" like you were a better man than them or was it that you just needed to have others tell you how great of a hunter you were?

why was it worth soo much money to shoot a deer absed on how big his antlers were?

Well, I hear you to some extent, but there are many hunters EXACTLY like me. I hunt in South Coastal Georgia and our deer are not very big and hunting in swamps in my opinion is the hardest hunting in North America for the smallest of rewards.

4 years ago I took my first trip out west to hunt big white tails. I went to Oklahoma and have been every year since. I paid my $3,500 for a week of muzzle loading season to hunt some pretty nice big buck territory on private land.

The first year I didn't shoot a thing, though I did see deer. The next year I shot a nice big 8 point that weighed over 270 lbs. Its just exciting for me to go hunt deer that are that big, but I don't gauge that as a test to my manhood. I've got smaller bucks on the wall that were harder to kill.

That was the first deer I killed over bait. Since you are from South Carolina, you obviously know about baiting deer as it is legal in SC to bait deer. I never really considered hunting over bait very sporting. But I killed this deer and you know what? It really didn't float my boat as much as I thought it would, but I still enjoyed the hunt and still enjoyed seeing deer in size and rack that I am not accustomed to seeing.

Last year I told the ranch owner I didn't want to shoot over a baited area. I had downloaded topo maps and satellite imagery and sent him 2 locations I wanted to hunt based on my knowledge of his land. Both were in creek bottoms. I ended up seeing more big deer last year than I have ever seen before. Passed up two 140 class 10 points and shot a 150 class 14 point, really a 5x5 with a lot of junk. I felt pretty satisfied with that deer.

This year I'm going back and instead of taking my Thompson Center 50 Cal with a scope, I'm going with a true flint lock Hawkins type rifle. I enjoy the challenge, not the rack necessarily.

Its just personal preference, but I gladly pay my $3,500 to the ranch owner in the hopes that I may see a booner and be fortunate enough to shoot him. Why? Because I just can't get that here in South Georgia and coming out of pocket for a chance at a really nice buck floats my boat.

Am I more of a man? No. But do I think I'm a better hunter than half the people that are at the lodge who hunt over baited fields in a boxed in heated stand? You damn right I do. But I am also smart enough to know that the really really big deer, don't show themselves on a baited field, you have to put a little effort into finding them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
that brings up another subject. some areas in texas seem to be able to feed, genetically engineer and "manage" these mutated, freakish "big" racks, but the bottom line is that they're going on an animal not much bigger than a german shepherd.

is there some "compensating" going on here? bewildered

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SkyJacker:

That was the first deer I killed over bait. Since you are from South Carolina, you obviously know about baiting deer as it is legal in SC to bait deer.

not everywere.
SC is broken into zones.
in the lower part of the state were hunting preserves paid lobbiest to get it passed it is legal to bait. mainly because it provides the Rolex hunters an opportunity to see a deer and be "successfull" thereby bringing them and thier money back again and again.
Here in the upstate (north of columbia) it is not legal to bait deer or even to disk chuffa around season.
In TX the big boys are often shot around the does who are at the feeders.

One of Us
Picture of SkyJacker
posted Hide Post
Which is exactly why I don't think bait is all that sporting. As for the best deer coming to bait, I have a theory on that. They didn't get big by being stupid. There are studies that show that dominant mature bucks stay away from baited fields. Now I don't know about Texas, but from my experiences out west, those studies definitely prove true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/deer/baitlaw/history.html

History of baiting in SC and the difference in such between the Piedmont (upstate) and Coastal Plains (lowcountry).

Posts: 64 | Location: Lowcountry, SC | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let's just say that the state owns the deer as they claim. Then when or how do they intend to compensate the landowners who supply food, water, and shelter. I can't graze my cattle on the neighbors place without paying pasture rent. The state compensates the landowner by allowing him to harvest their animals or by charging others to harvest them.

Landowners don't put up a high fence just for the hell of it. When the ranch next to me was going to be subdivided and sold in smaller plots My partner and I high fenced them out. The fence cost $18,000 per mile and the total ran into six figures. After investing several million dollars in the ranch it would have been foolish to not protect our investment. We still have six miles of low fence so the deer can come and go as they please. People don't high fence when they have good neighbors.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
And just another thought for KSTEPHENS and any others who subscribe to his odd way of thinking. According to the text in the beginning of this thread. This deer was a NATIVE DEER, NO INTRODUCED GENETICS, NO EAR TAGS, just a COMPLETELY WILD and NATIVE deer on a large South Texas ranch. In most of South Texas, the words "large ranch" usually refer to a ranch that is at least 10,000 acres. There are probably bulk feeders on the ranch and it is probably high fenced, but who gives a shit? They can't make the deer eat out of the feeders. I'm sure the deer don't mind. The deer on that property are probably happier since they have an unlimited source of food during hard times when there isn't much green stuff around. If you think hunting the deer on a ranch like that is easy, I will 100% guarantee that you have NEVER done it.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
M16 wrote:
quote:
People don't high fence when they have good neighbors.

thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BongoCongo:

History of baiting in SC and the difference in such between the Piedmont (upstate) and Coastal Plains (lowcountry).

how many deer hunting operations exist outside of the costal plain in SC?

why is that?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tasun...
Texas has millions of public land acres to hunt for the average Joe that is very affordable; gas, gun and cost of Hunters Saftey course.
What is publicized is the upper end private stuff so you dont see the rest which is the norm. Also 1500.00 gets you a YEAR round lease. 90 days of deer hunting with a 5 deer bag, 4 turkeys over 2 seasons, dove for 60 days, quail for 4 monthes, year round camping, hog hunting and fishing, etc... The price of a good lease in Texas is way more afforable if you factor it out over the ampount of days actually spent afield. What most of us do is get 10 of your buddies and split the cost. It makes for great memories with friends and families and is a hell of alot cheaper than a weekend a Disney World.

So F-you Montana!!!

Just kidding, I'd love to hunt Montana.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kstephens

Your class envy is leaking out all over our computers and its not very attractive.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
Kstephens

Your class envy is leaking out all over our computers and its not very attractive.

Perry

is that what it is.
HMMMM.

i thought it was a distain for people who want to associate with real hunters but do nothing more than write a check and tell thier guide how thick of an ass pad they need in the blind.

go figure.

maybe one day i can roll around in my Escalade with my arm hanging out the window showing off my rolex with a $5500 deer in the back.
then wont I be the man, huh?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you may have UNDERSTATED for "once". The cost is perhaps much more than $5500 for the deer!

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
KSTEPHENS,

I noticed that you replied to 2 of the other posts, but not my last post. Why is that? Is it because you can't think of another retarded rebuttle? C'mon, I'd really like to hear what you have to say? coffee

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tasun...
Texas has millions of public land acres to hunt for the average Joe that is very affordable; gas, gun and cost of Hunters Saftey course.
What is publicized is the upper end private stuff so you dont see the rest which is the norm. Also 1500.00 gets you a YEAR round lease. 90 days of deer hunting with a 5 deer bag, 4 turkeys over 2 seasons, dove for 60 days, quail for 4 monthes, year round camping, hog hunting and fishing, etc... The price of a good lease in Texas is way more afforable if you factor it out over the ampount of days actually spent afield. What most of us do is get 10 of your buddies and split the cost. It makes for great memories with friends and families and is a hell of alot cheaper than a weekend a Disney World.

So F-you Montana!!!

Perry

Perry, I'm sorry to say you are wrong, this time, there isn't even "1" million acres of public land in Texas! The Public land license, is restricted to resident hunters, To which I say good! Even with the negotiated private land under the PLL, there isn't even 1,000,000 acres of hunting it Texas. Ther is no goverment owned land in Texas, even the army bases are leased from the state, and access is only their's because of security. hunting by permit is available on them as well. The corps of engineers property is limited to nagavigable water ways, and still belongs to Texas.

Like New Mexico, Montana has vast areas that are BLM land, and the city of Houston has more
population than the whole state of Montana, so the acres to people are huge. However, I assure you if you hunt on private land in Montana, you will pay, or you will not hunt, and the same for New Mexico, and South Carolina, or any place where you have private land! It is just that in Texas we have more people wanting to hunt, than open places to hunt. You know, supply and demand!............. beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Kstephens

Perry

is that what it is.
HMMMM.

i thought it was a distain for people who want to associate with real hunters but do nothing more than write a check and tell thier guide how thick of an ass pad they need in the blind.

go figure.

maybe one day i can roll around in my Escalade with my arm hanging out the window showing off my rolex with a $5500 deer in the back.
then wont I be the man, huh?

Well Mr. Stevens, if you see someone like that in the state of Texas, you can bet he is not a Texan, most likely he will be from the east coast! Maybe even South carolina! You know, one of the rich folks from Carleston's Dunes West, rather than most SC, who live in a 12 wide, with a 78 Trans-am with a confederate flag painted, on the hood,and a spotlight, and 22 rifle, in the back seat, parked in the yard ! I think you have been watching far too much HIP-HOP! Escalades, and Rolex watches are for Snoop Dog, not Texans! Big Grin

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prewar70:
ROLEX
ESCALADE FULL OF CORN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac
I just went to the TP&W website and read that there is 1,135,245 acres available for public hunting in 66 counties. You buy an annual permit and off you go. Am I missing something here???

Perry

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's just say that the state owns the deer as they claim.

as they claim? are you on something?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tasun...

So F-you Montana!!!

Perry

come on up any time, perry. the whitetails here are great, and the mulies and pronghorns are even better!beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
as they claim? are you on something?

Damn right I'm on something. With more land and places to hunt than time permits I am high on life.

The state can claim any damn thing it wants to but that don't make it so. As far as I am concerned for all intents and purposes the property owner owns the wildlife. I can certainly figure up a bill for room and board of "their" animals "they" house on my property.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Damn right I'm on something. With more land and places to hunt than time permits I am high on life.

i'm glad about that.

quote:
The state can claim any damn thing it wants to but that don't make it so. As far as I am concerned for all intents and purposes the property owner owns the wildlife. I can certainly figure up a bill for room and board of "their" animals "they" house on my property.

good luck with that. the state owns them in the name of the people. get used to it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BongoCongo:

how many deer hunting operations exist outside of the costal plain in SC?

why is that?

I do not know the number of hunting operations in or outside of the coastal plains.

The coastal plains historically had a lot of plantations and quite a few today are used to service people for hunting quail, deer, turkeys, and hogs. Hunters, today, are generally attracted to the coastal plains for a great opportunity to get a buck in velvet.

I have never hunted on a deer hunting operation anywhere basically because I don't need to. However, I wouldn't be ashamed to do so if I would like to. I used to do deer doggin a lot, but I stopped about a decade ago.

Texas can take care of themselves as we can take care of ourselves in SC. They don't need an out of state resident to parade on them. Live and let live.

Posts: 64 | Location: Lowcountry, SC | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, Yes that is feed, in fact it is deer corn. Its purpose is to bring deer out of the South Texas brush to a feeder or on too a road or Sendero where they are shot from a stand or blind or by someone hunkering down in the bush on the edge of the clearing. Much the same as African Lions are hunted, Leopards are hunted, bear are hunted, pigs are hunted, coyotes and Bobcats, Javalina and so fourth...It is, in fact, the only way game can be hunted in that area.

I have hunted the So. Texas brush many times and the facts are you cannot walk in most of it, and of course that is where the deer are. The thorns will hang on every part of your clothing to the point that all you do is delicately pick yourself loose, only to be hung up again before you out, your hands will look like a pride of kittens have worked them over and your face will be a nothing but North and South cuts, your wife will throw away your favorite cap and hunting shirt.

If you wound a deer then you must go into hell to retrieve him and I have done that many times, its not fun and games.

In my years of hunting I have found it's always a good idea to have been there before you comment on it..It is usually open mouth, insert foot if you don't, and we all do that from time to time..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mac
I just went to the TP&W website and read that there is 1,135,245 acres available for public hunting in 66 counties. You buy an annual permit and off you go. Am I missing something here???

Perry

I was wrong that there isn't even a million acres of PUBLIC land maybe, because the land included in annual permit's access, includes negotiated private land as well, and 1,135,245 acres is a long way from your statement that "there are several million acres of public land in Texas," even if were all public land! To me several means more than two! I buy the permit evry yr since it has been available, and have the map book in front of me as we speak!

There are some very good places to hunt public land in Texas, but letterly all of it has some real restrictions on means and methods. For example unite #754 has 10,959 acres. and is absolutely crawling with whitetail deer, but you can't hunt them there. You can hunt hogs, squirrel, rabits, and hares, and waterfowl.

you are restricted to muzzel loader,bow, or shotgun. I hunt with double rifles, so had to go buy a muzzleloading double rifle to utilize the resourse. Nearly all are so resrticted that it is a pain in the butt to use most of them, but we have little choice, other than go to New Mexico, where there "IS" several million acres (36,000,000 acres) of PUBLIC land, where you have to ask no one if you can hunt! Buy your license and go hunting!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
texans:

montana has a program called "block management;" whereby landowners give de facto permission to hunt their land for free in exchange for certain considerations and compensations that make it beneficial for all involved. when i was living in a couple of areas of montana that i was unfamiliar with, this program was invaluable because it opened up hundreds of acres of prime private land, usually bordering on thousands of acres of public hunting lands.

does texas have a similar program, and if so, would you rate landowner participation as high and/or enthusiastic?

[edit] that should have said "hunt on their land for FREE, not FEE.[/edit]