THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    A Bigger Texas Buck has been Killed???
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Bigger Texas Buck has been Killed???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted
This was sent to me yesterday by my good friend. This is all I know so far:

Subject: Los Cazadores Buck

Unbelievable. This deer just came into my store about one hour ago. It was shot this morning by one of our customers who has a large ranch in Encinal. They have only native deer on their ranch and have never introduced any new genetics. Gross score was 273+ in velvet. If it holds over 273 it will be the largest deer killed in Texas since 1929 (272 shot in 1966). Anyway not a bad way to start the season.

Steve

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bow? Rifle season doesn't start here until November.

Posts: 350 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 30 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
This year's abundant rainfall is going to produce some interesting bucks this fall.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
This year's abundant rainfall is going to produce some interesting bucks this fall.

Reloader

Rain what is that??

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

very appropriate picture w/ the deer laid up on sacks of feed.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bow? Rifle season doesn't start here until November.

Rifle season on MLD properties started Saturday.
MLD properties season runs from September 29 until February 29.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Beautiful deer!!

Oh......and KSTEPHENS, how bout you just keep your opinions to yourself. Okay?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KS, yeppers and yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeha! We Texans just grow um bigger! Eat ya heart out!

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
quote:

Hey Mr Stevens, you are one sarcastic know-it-all , I don't think you will find a ranch vehicle anyplace that doesn't have feed of some kind in it! Every vehicle on my grand fathers place always had sacks of cattle cake,chicke/turkey laying mash, or pig feed in them.

The fact is, you don't know anything about Texas, that you didn't read in a magazine, or the enter-net. As I told you before, only 1% of Texas ranches are high fence,if that is too hard for you, that leaves 99% of the ranches are low fence, and like SC the only places feeders are used to any extent is in the deeply wooded eastern 1/2 of Texas, where stalking is a very dangerous activity, and ranchers will not allow it, without a $150 per day ranch guide, and some not even then! I would say the percentage of feeders, and tower stands in SC will be far higher than in the state of Texas!

The thing you don't seem to understand is, YOU,are not the rule maker for all hunters,but you seem a little self obsorbed! Get over yourself! moon

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Jealous?

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW!Thats a MONSTER!! archer

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nice little deer.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

My thoughts exactly....

Nice deer though

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
Beautiful deer!!

Oh......and KSTEPHENS, how bout you just keep your opinions to yourself. Okay?

have you got a problem with someone pointing out the obvious?

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
KSTEPHENS suffers from classic tunnel vision as it applies to reasoning, logic and the ability to weigh circumstances in a realistic light. Anything that falls outside the parameters of his narrow view are "in the dark" and thus wrong in his mind. And, his ability to comprehend anything outside of or beyond such an embryonic viewpoint is extremely limited, if not impossible, and triggers his often-aggressive rendition of commentary.

In other words, he can go to the store, buy a pint of vanilla ice cream and be convinced that it's butter pecan. The label can say vanilla, the ice cream can look and taste like vanilla -- and a chemical profile can guarantee that it is, indeed, vanilla.

But KSTEPHENS will still argue vehemently that it's butter pecan.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9410 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The fact is, you don't know anything about Texas, that you didn't read in a magazine, or the enter-net. As I told you before, only 1% of Texas ranches are high fence,if that is too hard for you, that leaves 99% of the ranches are low fence, and like SC the only places feeders are used to any extent is in the deeply wooded eastern 1/2 of Texas, where stalking is a very dangerous activity, and ranchers will not allow it, without a $150 per day ranch guide, and some not even then! I would say the percentage of feeders, and tower stands in SC will be far higher than in the state of Texas!

once again, i say, "thank God i live in montana."

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
KSTEPHENS suffers from classic tunnel vision as it applies to reasoning, logic and the ability to weigh circumstances in a realistic light. Anything that falls outside the parameters of his narrow view are "in the dark" and thus wrong in his mind. And, his ability to comprehend anything outside of or beyond such an embryonic viewpoint is extremely limited, if not impossible, and triggers his often-aggressive rendition of commentary.

In other words, he can go to the store, buy a pint of vanilla ice cream and be convinced that it's butter pecan. The label can say vanilla, the ice cream can look and taste like vanilla -- and a chemical profile can guarantee that it is, indeed, vanilla.

what does any of that have to do with the fact that texas cannot manage its deer population?

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
By the way, how does ANYONE know the sacks of feed are for deer???

Texas is ranching country. Did you ever hear of cattle???

My truck has sacks of various grain in it quite often. So do most folks who raise poultry or livestock.

holycow

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9410 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:

rotflmo clap VERY well said!! thumb

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
tasunkawitko wrote:
quote:
what does any of that have to do with the fact that texas cannot manage its deer population?

Texas' deer population is doing quite well, thank you.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasunkawitko:
once again, i say, "thank God i live in montana."

Boy, I can agree with that. Thank God! dancing

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

who said they were?

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
And I can honestly say, "Thank God I don't live in Montana"

I'm a proud Texan!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
E.S. -

texas is a wonderful state and we're blessed to have it part of the union. rich in everything - history, culture, resources...you name it.

but let's not deny the fact that the texas equivalent of the fish and game department is FUBAR. if it weren't, the state wouldn't be a haven for rich men hunting behind high fences for genetic mutants over a bait can.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
tasunkawitko wrote:
quote:
if it weren't, the state wouldn't be a haven for rich men hunting behind high fences for genetic mutants over a bait can.

Less than 1 percent of the state's private land is high-fenced. It seems your reasoning ability runs along the lines of KSTEPHENS. Are you guys related??? Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but let's not deny the fact that the texas equivalent of the fish and game department is FUBAR. if it weren't, the state wouldn't be a haven for rich men hunting behind high fences for genetic mutants over a bait can.

I have generally learned to respect your opinions over the years. But with that ignorant generalization, your credibility just went down the tube. I can't believe you said that!

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
E.S. -

texas is a wonderful state and we're blessed to have it part of the union. rich in everything - history, culture, resources...you name it.

Well, I don't know anything about genetic mutants or bait cans (what is a bait can by the way?) but I will definitely agree with you that our fish and game department is run by a bunch of idiots. That is not all bad however, because it is also the cause for so many landowners taking matters into their own hands, resulting in some of the finest hunting on some of the most intensively managed property anywhere. Regardless of what some may say, Texas has some of the best hunting to be had anywhere. Anybody who says otherwise is just ignorant and has not hunted much, if any, in Texas. It also has probably the most diverse hunting of any U.S. state. You can hunt everything from dense woods and riverbottoms in East Texas, to brush country so thick you can't walk through it in South Texas, to EXTREMELY rough and rocky areas in the Hill Country (Central Texas), to canyons and mountains in West Texas, to flat prairies and peanut fields in the Panhandle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Texas is ranching country. Did you ever hear of cattle???

My truck has sacks of various grain in it quite often. So do most folks who raise poultry or livestock.

holycow

yeah, its just a coincidence. im 100% sure.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olarmy:
quote:

I have generally learned to respect your opinions over the years. But with that ignorant generalization, your credibility just went down the tube. I can't believe you said that!

olarmy -

forgive me, i mean no disrespect to texas as a state, but i rest my case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prewar70:

i have no doubts that this is just a lucky texas farm box who happened to be huntin out on his family land when this old brusier walked by.
nice Rolex Presidential by the way. Whats that 18K now days?
hes sure lucky someone picked him and his deer up in that Escalade. his old ford probably couldnt handle the weight of that buck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
E.S. -

quote:

Well, I don't know anything about genetic mutants or bait cans (what is a bait can by the way?)

sorry, we don't have those up here....feeders?

btw, i forgot to mention "from a stand..."Wink

quote:
That is not all bad however, because it is also the cause for so many landowners taking matters into their own hands, resulting in some of the finest hunting on some of the most intensively managed property anywhere.

how much does the "regular joe" in texas who doesn't have any rancher friends pay to hunt in texas?

quote:
Regardless of what some may say, Texas has some of the best hunting to be had anywhere. Anybody who says otherwise is just ignorant and has not hunted much, if any, in Texas. It also has probably the most diverse hunting of any U.S. state. You can hunt everything from dense woods and riverbottoms in East Texas, to brush country so thick you can't walk through it in South Texas, to EXTREMELY rough and rocky areas in the Hill Country (Central Texas), to canyons and mountains in West Texas, to flat prairies and peanut fields in the Panhandle.

i don't doubt it a bit, and it would be a fine place to hunt, if things weren't so screwed up. i don't want to turn this into a pissing match between states, but in montana you get hunting that is just as good (albeit somewhat different, depending on region) without the hassle and certainly without the expense. 14 dollars for an antelope tag, 11 dollars for a deer tag, 16 for an elk tag (might have gone up a little, this was in 2005 i think. if it did go up, it wasn't much). whole counties of free, accessible land (public and private). beautiful scenery. no hunting pressure. no tripping over a hundred other bozos, even on opening day. usually, we only see one other hunter off about 4 miles away, other seasons i spent without seeing another hunter at all, except my dad and kids.

one of us
posted Hide Post
"No generalization is worth a damn, including this one"...Ogden Nash.

Your "example of one" may be correct, but it, like many others here is statistically insignificant.

On a related subject, you-holier-than-thou hunters, who live where conditions are different and like to look down your noses at Texas, should instead be thankful for Texas.

Texas is a conservative state with LOTS of pro-gun, pro-hunting folks. We have a lot of stroke nationally, because of our large population. But because of our large hunting population, the lack of public hunting lands, and the strong capitalist attitude in the state, things are different here. But IMO, they are different in a good way. And hunters, shooters, and conservatives everywhere should be counting their blessings for Texas, rather than looking down their ignorant (of the local situation) noses.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
E.S. -
how much does the "regular joe" in texas who doesn't have any rancher friends pay to hunt in texas?

Well......an "okay" seasonal lease can be had for $1,000-$1,500 per gun per year in most of the state for Whitetail. But a very good annual (year-round) lease that is well managed will usually cost somewhere in the $2,500-$6,000 per gun per year range. Then there are opportunities to lease entire properties ranging from $6-$50 per acre per year, with $12-$15 per acre being the norm for most of the prime Whitetail areas at the moment. This is just a general guide, it's actually much more complicated than that.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
re: t-wit and K-S:

I find it amazing that a person could be so wrapped up in a cause as to believe such rabid and misguided generalizations.

You both are looking more and more like candidates for induction into the PETA hall of shame than anyone truly concerned with the future of hunting.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
olarmy -

i can string along with everything you say except this:

quote:
things are different here. But IMO, they are different in a good way.

but just as that is your opinion, mine is mine. i am willing to bet that there is enough common ground in between for a beer beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
amzing how similar the TX crowd here is to the Alaska crowd over at 24 hour campfire.

"you-holier-than-thou hunters, who live where conditions are different ... should instead be thankful for Texas."

oh master teach me the ways of the force so i can be like you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
quote:
E.S. -

Well......an "okay" seasonal lease can be had for $1,000-$1,500 per gun per year in most of the state for Whitetail. But a very good annual (year-round) lease that is well managed will usually cost somewhere in the $2,500-$6,000 per gun per year range. Then there are opportunities to lease entire properties ranging from $6-$50 per acre per year, with $12-$15 per acre being the norm for most of the prime Whitetail areas at the moment. This is just a general guide, it's actually much more complicated than that.

see, bud - this is what i am talking about. for the cost of a tag and less than 10 dollars in gas (even with an old 73 chevy with a 350 4bbl, a regular joe in montana can be out there shooting whitetails, mulies, pronghorn, elk, birds up the wazoo and lord knows what else. on public or private land.

now, it would be nice if he showed up in spring to help out with branding or summer to help out with fencing or winter to help with feeding, but it is not required. a "please and a "thank you are appreciated, though.

and sincerely, i mean no disrespect. i may have been pulling a few chains earlier, but the discussion on the differences is what i am after. beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
oh master teach me the ways of the force so i can be like you

Son, come back when you grow up...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You both are looking more and more like candidates for induction into the PETA hall of shame than anyone truly concerned with the future of hunting.

friend - as far as i am concered, PETA stands for People Eating Tasty Animals. now as i said in the post above, i may have pulled a chain or two, but accusing someone of associating with PETA is a bit over the line! beer

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Well, to be technical, I never said youa ssociated with PETA, did I???

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ