Tools

last male lion shot in bumi
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're having a giraffe aren't you?

I have no idea what that means?

Let's get right to the point. Show me once where you have taken personal responsibility or admitted any on the conversation of who is responsible for a 'bad' kill?

What bad kill? If you are speaking in hypotheticals, the person who pulls the trigger is responsible for the death or wounding of the game, 100% of the time.

Twisted your words, no!! I have only highlighted your belief that all responsibility lies with the PH, outfitter and park governments

You are again twisting my words, I have said the game departments, land owners, concession operators are responsible for the complete management of their resource.

quote:
IF the lion in this case had turned out to be a lot, lot younger whose fault would you have said it was?

If frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their ass when they hop, what are you talking about?

And on a slightly different note how could you possibly make a call together when you have already stated you had no idea how old the lion was?

Very easily, we had this lion on bait with 2 females for 2 weeks, we had seen his tracks, his mane hair, his behaviour at the bait, we had even seen him early in the hunt but he would not stand for a shot. We used our God given ability of deductive reasoning and concluded this was the same cat when he did present a shot, and killed him. Guess what, we were right, it was the same cat, and it was a great lion. Heaven forbid, a hunter succeed.

And with respect coming from a man who wasted bandwidth with an attention seeking thread about being an idiot, please take a look at yourself first.

No doubt, that or this will not be the last foolishness I have partaken in.

Posts: 5179 | Registered: 30 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
505Gibbs,

Sorry my bad i forget i'm not talking to just English folk. Having a giraffe is having a laugh.

quote:
If you are speaking in hypotheticals, the person who pulls the trigger is responsible for the death or wounding of the game, 100% of the time.

Thank you.

quote:
IF the lion in this case had turned out to be a lot, lot younger whose fault would you have said it was?

If frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their ass when they hop, what are you talking about?

Nice avoidance of answering the question.

quote:
And on a slightly different note how could you possibly make a call together when you have already stated you had no idea how old the lion was?

Very easily, we had this lion on bait with 2 females for 2 weeks, we had seen his tracks, his mane hair, his behaviour at the bait, we had even seen him early in the hunt but he would not stand for a shot. We used our God given ability of deductive reasoning and concluded this was the same cat when he did present a shot, and killed him. Guess what, we were right, it was the same cat, and it was a great lion. Heaven forbid, a hunter succeed.

Seems to be some contradiction here. You claimed you had no idea how old the lion was and yet now claim to have been following him for days. Which is it? Did you have an idea or didn't you?

So you thought you knew this was the same cat? Well you no what thought did, dont ya?

Posts: 509 | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
505Gibbs,

Sorry my bad i forget i'm not talking to just English folk. Having a giraffe is having a laugh.

quote:
If you are speaking in hypotheticals, the person who pulls the trigger is responsible for the death or wounding of the game, 100% of the time.

Thank you.

quote:

Nice avoidance of answering the question.

I didn't avoid anything, I assumed you would remember what you read above in my response as to who is responsible for killing game, I just didn't repeat myself.

quote:

Seems to be some contradiction here. You claimed you had no idea how old the lion was and yet now claim to have been following him for days. Which is it? Did you have an idea or didn't you?

Jo, this is one of the problems with this medium, people refer to things that were posted earlier in other "conversations" or even on other forums and consequently you do not know the whole story. This story was originally posted in it's entirety in a hunt report in 2010. It was then abbreviated and posted on this forum a few months back. It was then abbreviated even further by those wanting to make an example of me to people like you. I understand that you would have no frame of reference for these things, but that does not mean that I am changing or adding to my story or recollection of events. And you would be well served to know that you are judging others actions based on incomplete information.

So you thought you knew this was the same cat? Well you no what thought did, dont ya?

All I can speak to is what "thought did" on this occassion as I am not familiar with that slang. This time it resulted in a dead lion, which turned out to be the exact lion we thought it was. It also ended in a tired yet satisfied hunter, a paid operator, well paid locals, factual and financial reinforcement of the lion hunting/conservation business model, established multiple mutually beneficial friendships, should I keep going?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:

Michael,
Do you not work for in some capacity or own in some portion Tanzania Game Tracker Safaris (TGTS)? I had heard from many before that your organization booked more lion hunts than it had tags, I always wrote that off as "sour grapes", until you posted the below on this forum. I actually could not believe what I was reading, so I and 2 others asked you multiple times to say who you were and if you were condoning such practices, you never replied. Perhaps you would like to clarify now, here are 2 questions.

1) Has TGTS ever sold or booked more lion hunts than it had tags/quota?

2) Has TGTS ever allowed a client to come hunting for a "lion" it no longer had tags/quota to hunt as you state below in your post?

quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich
So if you have a quota of 1 lion (which would probably be what is required!) and you shoot it on the 1st hunt and the next 3 hunters along do see a >6 lion on their trip but are not allowed to shoot it because your quota is done, is that desirable?

I am NOT Bwanamich as you know Brad...but to the best of my knowledge...quite the converse is true...TGTS kills far fewer lion than it has tags per year.

In your quote of Bwanamich...I think you have taken him out of context as he is asking a question (see ? at end ) and insinuating that the scenario would be bad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
505Gibbs,

No matter whether i have seen the full story or not you claimed to see the shadow of a cat and not know what age it was. Then you claim you and your PH had been following this cat for days and were pretty sure it was the same one. Now either you saw the cat and knew it was the same one or you didn't?

quote:
All I can speak to is what "thought did" on this occassion as I am not familiar with that slang. This time it resulted in a dead lion, which turned out to be the exact lion we thought it was. It also ended in a tired yet satisfied hunter, a paid operator, well paid locals, factual and financial reinforcement of the lion hunting/conservation business model, established multiple mutually beneficial friendships, should I keep going?

'On this occasion' being the operative words. It all could have turned out so differently.
My point was not about who and who didn't benefit, it was about your contradictory words.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
....with someone as admittedly dishonest as you if I was.

care to explain?

Michael,
Do you not work for in some capacity or own in some portion Tanzania Game Tracker Safaris (TGTS)? I work for TGTS and WWS

I had heard from many before that your organization booked more lion hunts than it had tags, Care to name who these "many others" are? or are you just making this up, Brad I always wrote that off as "sour grapes", until you posted the below on this forum. I actually could not believe what I was reading, so I and 2 others asked you multiple times to say who you were and if you were condoning such practices, you never replied. Perhaps you would like to clarify now, here are 2 questions.

2) Has TGTS ever allowed a client to come hunting for a "lion" it no longer had tags/quota to hunt as you state below in your post?
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich
So if you have a quota of 1 lion (which would probably be what is required!) and you shoot it on the 1st hunt and the next 3 hunters along do see a >6 lion on their trip but are not allowed to shoot it because your quota is done, is that desirable?

As to my quote above from another thread under a different topic and discussion, you have taken it totally out of context. Only you could come to the conclusion you did. Honestly I have no desire to explain it further Brad as you will no doubt retain what meaning you wish to derive from it.

wave

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
you claimed to see the shadow of a cat

I claimed no such thing, and for you to put words in my mouth is consistent with your previous dishonesty.

quote:
Then you claim you and your PH had been following this cat for days and were pretty sure it was the same one.

Once again, I never claimed that my PH and I had been following anything, my advice if you want people to continue engaging with you is to stop lying. Perhaps if you would like to know the entire story, you should go look up the original hunt report and read it in it's entirety, or are you more interested in throwing around accusations and innuendos?

quote:
Now either you saw the cat and knew it was the same one or you didn't?

once again, you are mistaken, it is not "either / or". Of course we saw the cat, if you would like to know the most accurate description of what I saw, go find the original report. We felt with reasonable certainty that it was the same one and we turned out to be right.

quote:
It all could have turned out so differently.
My point was not about who and who didn't benefit, it was about your contradictory words.

You are absolutely right, we could have gone over to the dead cat and it turned out to be an escaped tiger with a snare and a bush around it's neck, or a lioness with multiple glandular disorders, and don't forget the possible alien or unknown species possibility. BUT IT WASN"T, IT WAS EXACTLY WHAT WE THOUGHT IT WAS!!! And as for your accusation of "contradictory words", that is completely false, and you are not doing yourself any favors with your repeated misrepresentations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As to my quote above from another thread under a different topic and discussion, you have taken it totally out of context. Only you could come to the conclusion you did. Honestly I have no desire to explain it further Brad as you will no doubt retain what meaning you wish to derive from it.

Michael,
I have no bone to pick with you or your organization, the quote is exactly what you said, and I am not the only one who was surprised, nor was I the only one to ask you to clarify your statement multiple times. In my mind the request for clarification was an opportunity for you and your organization, I am not sure why you would see it or present it as something else. I will repeat the questions, if the answer is "no", what else could be said? Please feel free to reply here or via PM if there is something I am missing.

quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last night, 1 female came to water, male and 1 female came to bait. It was completely dark, light was not an option as the male would not stand fo it. I could see his mane (outline) in the moonlight and he looked to be 40% larger than the female. i shot him with no idea how old he was, what color his body was, how big his mane was, what color his nose was, if he had spots or black patches on his legs. It was a tremendous experience and I wouldn't do anything different if I had the opportunity to do it again.

quote:
I claimed no such thing, and for you to put words in my mouth is consistent with your previous dishonesty

Sorry my bad you claimed to see an outline.

quote:
Once again, I never claimed that my PH and I had been following anything,

You sure?
Really sure?

quote:
Very easily, we had this lion on bait with 2 females for 2 weeks, we had seen his tracks, his mane hair, his behaviour at the bait, we had even seen him early in the hunt but he would not stand for a shot.

Are you sure you weren't following him?

quote:
once again, you are mistaken, it is not "either / or". Of course we saw the cat, if you would like to know the most accurate description of what I saw, go find the original report. We felt with reasonable certainty that it was the same one and we turned out to be right.

You didn't know it was the same cat at all otherwise you wouldn't have said :-

quote:
i shot him with no idea how old he was, what color his body was, how big his mane was, what color his nose was, if he had spots or black patches on his legs.

quote:
You are absolutely right, we could have gone over to the dead cat and it turned out to be an escaped tiger with a snare and a bush around it's neck, or a lioness with multiple glandular disorders, and don't forget the possible alien or unknown species possibility. BUT IT WASN"T, IT WAS EXACTLY WHAT WE THOUGHT IT WAS!!! And as for your accusation of "contradictory words", that is completely false, and you are not doing yourself any favors with your repeated misrepresentations.

It also could have turned out to be a 3 or 4 year old lion considering you had no idea how old he was as below:-

quote:
i shot him with no idea how old he was

Now please show me where i have been dishonest?
I hasten to add you do not do yourself any favours either with your contradictory words regarding this kill. Oh and if you want me to read the rest please link me to the thread. Or are you afraid i will find more contradictions?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am NOT Bwanamich as you know Brad...but to the best of my knowledge...quite the converse is true...TGTS kills far fewer lion than it has tags per year.

In your quote of Bwanamich...I think you have taken him out of context as he is asking a question (see ? at end ) and insinuating that the scenario would be bad.

J. Lane Easter, DVM
DRSS

Understood, but I feel that I did take it in context (but was not sure, which is why I and others asked for clarification). I believe Michael was debating that if everyone would shoot only >6 yr old lions, there would be no need for quotas, and the operators could shoot as many >6 yr old lions as they could find. Versus a quota of 1 lion which got shot on the 1st hunt and forced the operator to toodle the next 3 hunters around hoping they would not see a >6 yr old lion because they would have to tell them not to shoot.

To be honest, this was a shady suggestion (IMO), but I had no idea who "Bwanamich" was, so I did not give it much thought. Later when I learned he was one of (if not) the elite lion hunting operation on the continent of Africa, it went from "shady" to mind blowing (IMO).

However, perhaps he mispoke, perhaps I took it wrong, that is why I and others asked for clarification, why would he not take advantage of that opportunity?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Last night, 1 female came to water, male and 1 female came to bait. It was completely dark, light was not an option as the male would not stand fo it. I could see his mane (outline) in the moonlight and he looked to be 40% larger than the female. i shot him with no idea how old he was, what color his body was, how big his mane was, what color his nose was, if he had spots or black patches on his legs. It was a tremendous experience and I wouldn't do anything different if I had the opportunity to do it again.

quote:
I claimed no such thing, and for you to put words in my mouth is consistent with your previous dishonesty

Sorry my bad you claimed to see an outline.

quote:
Once again, I never claimed that my PH and I had been following anything,

You sure?
Really sure?

Ya, I'm sure

quote:
Very easily, we had this lion on bait with 2 females for 2 weeks, we had seen his tracks, his mane hair, his behaviour at the bait, we had even seen him early in the hunt but he would not stand for a shot.

Are you sure you weren't following him?

do I really need to reply to this one too?

quote:

You didn't know it was the same cat at all otherwise you wouldn't have said :-

No, actually, the below is what is called "honesty", The lion was wild, my PH had not kept track of his birthdays, I had not x-rayed his teeth, it was dark to the point that I could not tell the difference in tawny or tan color, I could not tell the color of his nose, I could not tell if all of his spots had faded, I could not tell whether he had dark spots on the backs of his legs. Honesty Jo, honesty.

quote:
i shot him with no idea how old he was, what color his body was, how big his mane was, what color his nose was, if he had spots or black patches on his legs.

quote:

It also could have turned out to be a 3 or 4 year old lion considering you had no idea how old he was as below:-

There is that possibility, however unlikely. But, it wasn't, so why are you busting my balls?

quote:
i shot him with no idea how old he was

Now please show me where i have been dishonest?
I hasten to add you do not do yourself any favours either with your contradictory words regarding this kill. Oh and if you want me to read the rest please link me to the thread. Or are you afraid i will find more contradictions?

Go look it up, this site has a search function and I am not your secretary. I understand I have fed your expectations of what I should do for you by continuing down this rediculous trail of questioning, with that said, I am done with you on this topic. I will however share a lesson I have learned from you with some of our other posters, if they are interested....DON"T FEED THE BEARS!! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you need to check the definition of following!!

As for busting your balls i would do the same to anyone whose attitude and contradictions are like yours.

You learnt not to feed the bears from me, really? and how do i compare to a bear. Hope its my teddy like cuddliness!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Jo is asking some hard questions and doing a reasonable job of pointing out the weakness in some of our answers. That isn't a threat but rather a challenge to improve our story.

Obviously on this board you have people that believe hunting will support the conservation of lions but some argument about specifics.

Essentially this boils down to those that subscribe to an age based method and those that subscribe to a quota system.

Both sides have good arguments and both sides have significant weaknesses.

And we have to make this work "on the ground" in various African countries. That alone will make any system difficult.

What all parties need to recognize; anti-hunters, hunters, hunters supporting age criteria, hunters supporting quota, is that there is no perfect system. There is no solution that won't have examples of excess that others can wave around in some righteous way. But if we don't start thinking in terms of what is best for lions then they will likely fail as a wild species. And there won't be any more hunting of them.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good post John, however, I am not telling a "story". Wink
quote:
That isn't a threat but rather a challenge to improve our story.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that. Thats from the sofware industry side of me. In this sense "Story" just means our arguments or reasoning for the continuation of sport trophy hunting.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post