New
Find
Notify
Tools

last male lion shot in bumi
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John- I wouldn't say anything here that I wouldn't say there. The agenda is as transparent as window glass, as I stated there. Some of the posters are spewing venom, and the overall feel is driven by emotions rather that rational thinking. Pompous is a word that comes to mind. You and I both know how much money we all on AR leave in Africa, but not one of the antis want to hear that. I home, for the Lions sake, that the officials of these countries who sport hunt lions don't listen to the babble.

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you think Aaron, you make the call!!

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mart,

You are there...why don't you elaborate a little?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh dear, turns out it wasn't only the last lion but it was only 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 years old too !!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/not...mi/10150358904172044

Posts: 509 | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jolouburn:
Oh dear, turns out it wasn't only the last lion but it was only 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 years old too !!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/not...mi/10150358904172044

5 1/2 years is certainly with in the acceptable margin of error.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Acceptable margin of error?

So the last lion in an area is killed first off and second off it turns out he wasn't of the appropriate age to be shot and was still good for breeding!

A very good advertisement for hunting i'm sure you'll agree.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
5 things:

1) I doubt very seriously that it was the "last" male lion in that area.

2) It was in a hunting block when it was taken...NOT...in a park.

3) Nobody can tell a 5 1/2 from a 6.

4) there is no 6 year old rule in Zim

5) that outfitter tries hard to take appropriate animals.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in the Omay in May of this year and saw two male lions and the tracks of a third large lion.

Posts: 2950 | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ledvm,

quote:
1) I doubt very seriously that it was the "last" male lion in that area.

With respect you 'doubt' but you do not know. The people who have the knowledge that have responded to this thread seem very unwilling to confirm or deny.

quote:
2) It was in a hunting block when it was taken...NOT...in a park.

Correct but reports also indicate it was lured and baited. I again see no proof on the contrary.

quote:

If they had estimated his age about 5 1/2 i would give in to this point but since it was between 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 i doubt it was actually 6.

quote:
4) there is no 6 year old rule in Zim

Rule or no rule from what i have seen here in these forums most people believe it is unethical to kill a lion under 6.

quote:
5) that outfitter tries hard to take appropriate animals.

I'll take your word for that.

quote:
I was in the Omay in May of this year and saw two male lions and the tracks of a third large lion.

Until there is proof i'll stand off from this one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jolouburn:

quote:

Until there is proof i'll stand off from this one.

Basically you are calling me a liar. No matter, I know what I saw. Maybe if you would leave England, go to Zim, and quit drinking the anti Kool Aid you could see for yourself.

We also heard lions killing a buffalo while we were hunting. We avoided the area with great care. I am not sure if those were different lions.

Posts: 2950 | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easy tiger! I like any other person like proof before I decide what I do and don't believe.
I haven't insulted you so give me the courtesy of not insulting me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by martin pieters:
What do you think Aaron, you make the call!!

First off folks, I see Jolouburn claiming the lion was estimated at 4.5 - 5.5 yrs old, who the hell estimated that???

Looking at the one/only pic I've seen, I'd bet money he's over 5, likely 6 plus. But hey, instead you're gonna trust the word of the "Facebook", internet experts, really?

Martin, post some more pics of the lion and I will give me honest opinion?

But holy cow, to claim this is the Last Lion in the area, without any factual or scientific basis is simply irresponsible, and just more anti-hunting, emotional BS. Gee, wasn't that fortunate of them to find/kill the very last lion in the whole area? My lord!!!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

But every PH should be able to tell a 5 from a 6 and be willing to bet his clients "trophy" and criminal record on it? shame

Posts: 5179 | Registered: 30 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:

But every PH should be able to tell a 5 from a 6 and be willing to bet his clients "trophy" and criminal record on it? shame

Nope!! And just as I, Lane has always advocated 6 as the legal/target age, but 5 should be legally acceptable, period! If you're not confident, don't shoot the freakin lion, simple as that!!!!!

As Bwanamich has already said, in TZ, there will actually be an "acceptable" and "unacceptable" catagory. Which likely means, 5 yr olds will pass the test, but 4 yr olds likely won't. Just as it should be.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Frostbit, by law, a lion aged at 5 is illegal and therefore subject to the penalties outlined in the Regulations governing hunting.

My understanding is that they will allocate the lion's into 2 categories; suitable or not suitable. The assessing panel will determine which category. If deemed suitable, they will be cleared for export. If unsuitable, the penalties will be applied.

I am assuming you are talking about the above quote by Bwanamich? Is he not stating that a lion estimated at 5 by the authorities would be illegal or "not suitable"? And the "penalties" would apply? Please clarify if I am misreading this post.

Posts: 5179 | Registered: 30 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post