Find
Notify
Tools

last male lion shot in bumi
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jo, as for your and others inferences in this post and others that Governments will consider the perpetrators intent and state of mind in their decisions on whether to prosecute or not is simply preposterous

Preposterous?
Not really, the luring and baiting of a lion into hunting territory from a park is questionable when legality comes into play.

quote:
They would side with you and rabid anti's in the prosecution of this PH and hunter (if the laws existed to support such prosecution, as they do in Tanzania).

As an aside i haven't insulted you so please give me the same courtesy. There is absolutely no need for calling ie, rabid anti hunters.

As an aside does something really have to be illegal for you to admit that it was wrong?
Is it not possible that this was just plain wrong on ethical grounds?

Posts: 509 | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have repeatedly said 5 should be the absolute cut-off and we should strive to shoot >than 6's actually.

So, would you agree that the 6+ rule in Tanzania would better serve the cause if it was 5+?

Posts: 5179 | Registered: 30 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Preposterous?
Not really, the luring and baiting of a lion into hunting territory from a park is questionable when legality comes into play.

Jo, my reply was not about a lion shot in a legal hunting area (no matter where it came from), rather it was about shooting a lion that would be illegal in other countries due to it's age.

quote:
As an aside i haven't insulted you so please give me the same courtesy. There is absolutely no need for calling ie, rabid anti hunters.

Jo, There was no insult intended, I assure you (as is proven by some of the rediculous posts on that facebook page), there are "rabid anti's" out there (just as there are rabid pro's opposite them). If the shoe fits, wear it, if not, I was not referring to you.

quote:
As an aside does something really have to be illegal for you to admit that it was wrong?

Absolutely not.

quote:
Is it not possible that this was just plain wrong on ethical grounds?

Perhaps there are some undisclosed facts that could make that possible, but from the information that is currently available, I would say no. A legal hunter took a legal lion in a legal manner on a legal hunting concession, and in the process injected 10's of thousands of dollars into the local revenue starved economy. I would guess that hunter did more for the lion as a whole, Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife, the local community and his fellow man than 99% of those pissing and moaning about this situation. Just my $.02

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jolouburn:

Can't speak for the Omay area where this hunt occured but in TZ, the law states one cannot hunt within 1 km of a boundary of a National Park.

Besides, all baiting is by default luring an animal to the bait site. A Necessary (Not unethical) process to help identify the correct specimen to be hunted for ethical, legal, conservation and sustainability reasons Wink

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jo, my reply was not about a lion shot in a legal hunting area (no matter where it came from), rather it was about shooting a lion that would be illegal in other countries due to it's age.

My response to pressing charges was purely regarding this case. I guess we were at cross purposes.

quote:
Jo, There was no insult intended, I assure you (as is proven by some of the rediculous posts on that facebook page), there are "rabid anti's" out there (just as there are rabid pro's opposite them). If the shoe fits, wear it, if not, I was not referring to you.

No problem, people on both sides of the fence are capable and do make ridiculous posts about this topic.

quote:
Perhaps there are some undisclosed facts that could make that possible, but from the information that is currently available, I would say no. A legal hunter took a legal lion in a legal manner on a legal hunting concession, and in the process injected 10's of thousands of dollars into the local revenue starved economy. I would guess that hunter did more for the lion as a whole, Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife, the local community and his fellow man than 99% of those pissing and moaning about this situation. Just my $.02

Legality is not the issue here, ethics are.

IF the lion was 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 as the claim states was it ethical to shoot that lion?
IF the lion was the last male in the area was it ethical to shoot that lion?
IF the lion had just sired 4 cubs which could possibly die as a result of the shooting of this lion was it ethical to shoot this lion?
IF this lion was lured and bated from a non-hunting area into a hunting area was the shooting of this lion ethical?

I will happily piss and moan about the situation considering that the ethics many here claim to or do stand by have possibly being breached by this shooting.
Just for one moment consider that everything reported is true, how do you feel if that is the case?
Are you willing to throw ethics out of the window to suit your cause?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Besides, all baiting is by default luring an animal to the bait site. A Necessary (Not unethical) process to help identify the correct specimen to be hunted for ethical, legal, conservation and sustainability reasons

I know very little about baiting to be honest but i do feel baiting an animal out of a park and into hunting territory is definately unethical.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jolouburn:
quote:
Besides, all baiting is by default luring an animal to the bait site. A Necessary (Not unethical) process to help identify the correct specimen to be hunted for ethical, legal, conservation and sustainability reasons

I know very little about baiting to be honest but i do feel baiting an animal out of a park and into hunting territory is definately unethical.

Again you are inferring that the hunters knew there was a lion in that area of the park, something that is difficult to prove. Secondly, lions, like most animals, do not know boundaries so who is to say that that lion was not in the hunting concession already and that the hunters came across a fresh track which prompted them to place some baits?

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
IF the lion was 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 as the claim states was it ethical to shoot that lion?
I personally do not draw an ethics boundary around the age or size of an animal killed. I feel that parks officials and concession operators should be conservative enough in their population census that an animal of the sex required can be harvested with little to no adverse effect on the population of the area concerned. I would be more interested in knowing how big the Omay is, what it's estimated lion population is, how many tags were issued and how many were filled, than the age of 1 lion harvested.
IF the lion was the last male in the area was it ethical to shoot that lion?
1st, I see no way that a hunter or concession operator could know the answer to this question, so how could it ever enter into their decision making process. However, if that were the case, I would be more concerned about management that issues a tag where there is 1 male of any species left, and I would seriously doubt that happened here.
IF the lion had just sired 4 cubs which could possibly die as a result of the shooting of this lion was it ethical to shoot this lion?
Once again, how would a hunter or operator know this if the cubs and lioness were not with the male? In my opinion, this is where many idealistic groups arguements fall apart, this is life, you cannot control everything, you give something (a lions life) for something more valuable in return (a finite amount of money or in the further abstract, an increased value and reason to protect the species from its real threats)
IF this lion was lured and bated from a non-hunting area into a hunting area was the shooting of this lion ethical?
Absolutely, that lion went from being protected to being fairgame when it crossed that river, it served a valuable purpose on both sides. In Bumi, it provided the opportunity for education, enjoyment and revenue generation by tourist. In Omay, it drew a hunter, his substantial amount of money who took the lion, which consequently will allow another male in to Bumi now to further propogate the species, the operator had a successful hunt which he will use to promote his business and bring more money into a starved economy. My point is that there is give and take throughout this ordeal, it is not "all is lost" as is presented by one side or the other. That lion was a huge asset to the people of Zimbabwe regardless of what side of that river or in what manner he was killed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:
I have repeatedly said 5 should be the absolute cut-off and we should strive to shoot >than 6's actually.

So, would you agree that the 6+ rule in Tanzania would better serve the cause if it was 5+?

As stated no less than thousands of times before...I prefer a system similar to the Niassa point system where 5's are acceptable as exportable trophies but cause a drop in the outfitter's quota.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnHunt:
You guys Ms Jo is referring to an age estimate provided (if you trust the FB poster) by a Dr. Whitman. She helped Packer with his aging lions guide book.

Someone should email her to confirm the estimate.

The nose is very hard to judge as under six but the mohawk says younger.

I wish like hell someone could produce more pics of the lion in question?

Secondly John, nose color has little relevance to age, and the mane in this case means little either. Too many here are looking, but not really knowing what they are looking at. Simply because the lion's mane is not full/complete over the entire head/ear region, DOES NOT mean he's necessarily younger than the "nose color" would indicate, period! Lions grow manes, just like people grow hair, some are thick and full, some are not. Some go down past their shoulders, some do not, etc, etc, etc. Lions from the very same area can vary greatly, and lions from region to region, and country to country, vary greatly too!!! Genetics play a part as well. On and on and on!

If Dr. Whitman made a judgment call, based on the same pic I've seen, then good for her. But, until the scientific "experts" show me their "personal" experience from the area/region in which they are commenting on, I'll pay it little attention.

Case in point, my 2008 lion pictured below from Kilombero - Tanzania. We called this lion "mohawk", and I watched him for a solid 7 days, often from less than 60 yards away. He's 10' 6" nose to tail, has a 26 3/4" skull, his teeth were stained dark yellow, warn down badly, and having weighed several lions I have taken in the past, I guarantee he was pushing 500lbs. No doubt he was well over 6 yrs old, and yet, he has a sparse/mohawk for a mane! Personal, on the ground, lion observing/lion hunting experience all across Africa is what is needed to be an expert at estimating lion ages from different regions throughout the continent.

This is the problem, even with 99% of the scientists I know who claim to be the "lion" experts. I can't name or think of one, that has vast experience throughout southern/eastern Africa with different regions, different lion populations, etc, etc. Using one's scientific evidence from northern Tanzania, to accurately guestimate the age of a lion from 1,000 miles away, in a place in which one has never seen, hunted, or studied the local lions, is simply irresponsible, period!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If Dr. Whitman made a judgment call, based on the same pic I've seen, then good for her. But, until the scientific "experts" show me their "personal" experience from the area/region in which they are commenting on, I'll pay it little attention.

quote:
This is the problem, even with 99% of the scientists I know who claim to be the "lion" experts. I can't name or think of one, that has vast experience throughout southern/eastern Africa with different regions, different lion populations, etc, etc. Using one's scientific evidence from northern Tanzania, to accurately guestimate the age of a lion from 1,000 miles away, in a place in which one has never seen, hunted, or studied the local lions, is simply irresponsible, period!

See Aaron, we do agree on something. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again, case in point!!!! All the lions pictured below are from the EXACT same hunting concession - Zambia's Lunga Luswishi (Kafue). A few of them I have scientific based ages for, and the others are simply examples of how much different lions, from the very same area can look, regardless of their actual or perceived age. Holy cow folks, lions aren't leopards! They're just like a whitetail buck, not a damn one of them looks like the other!!!

1. Scientifically aged at 4 yrs old - Would have never guessed that one.

2. Scientifically aged at 5 yrs old.

3. Scientifically aged at 6 yrs old.

Above are three totally different lions, totally different mane development, different ages, and all from the same place! Who here would have guessed #3 was the oldest of the three??

Below, lots more lions, all from the same place. Tell me, how many of them look alike?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:

Here are the facts on the Bumi/Omay situation.

The operator willingly sent me pics of the trophy lion without me even asking them for them. I asked for permission to share so that they could be used for computer analysis. His agent said OK.

I sent the pics to Karyl Whitman for her to analyze on her software against those we had of the Bumi lion. They matched with a high degree of certainty.

I also submitted the pics I had of trophy along with Bumi lion pics to a panel of experts for age ESTIMATION. This panel consisted of 2 hunting operators and 4 scientists. 5 opined on age (2 of which were hunting operators). They consistently put the lion into the 4.5 to 5.5 range. FYI: the hunting operators were the most critical...both saying not a day over 4.5. The scientist ALL said most likely 4.5 but maybe 5.5...IE: they were MORE lenient.

I, without their input, thought the lion was a 5 year old +/- 1 year...based on the trophy pic.

These are the facts as know them.

I have repeatly defended the operator in this case as I see NOTHING that he did wrong...especially illegal or unethical.

My analysis: I think the lion was borderline acceptable on age. I would have opted to pass on this lion at least for a year. But it was a close call for me. But again...I see nothing done wrong, especially illegal, or unethical in this situation. As we all learn...I think we will begin to all pass these borderline animals.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Here are the facts on the Bumi/Omay situation.

The operator willingly sent me pics of the trophy lion without me even asking them for them. I asked for permission to share so that they could be used for computer analysis. His agent said OK.

I sent the pics to Karyl Whitman for her to analyze on her software against those we had of the Bumi lion. They matched with a high degree of certainty.

I also submitted the pics I had of trophy along with Bumi lion pics to a panel of experts for age ESTIMATION. This panel consisted of 2 hunting operators and 4 scientists. 5 opined on age (2 of which were hunting operators). They consistently put the lion into the 4.5 to 5.5 range. FYI: the hunting operators were the most critical...both saying not a day over 4.5. The scientist ALL said most likely 4.5 but maybe 5.5...IE: they were MORE lenient.

I, without their input, thought the lion was a 5 year old +/- 1 year...based on the trophy pic.

These are the facts as know them.

I have repeatly defended the operator in this case as I see NOTHING that he did wrong...especially illegal or unethical.

My analysis: I think the lion was borderline acceptable on age. I would have opted to pass on this lion at least for a year. But it was a close call for me. But again...I see nothing done wrong, especially illegal, or unethical in this situation. As we all learn...I think we will begin to all pass these borderline animals.

Hey, sweetheart! Send me the pics will ya? I really want to have a look and make a decision based on multiple photos.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pictured below are 2 male lions from Charisa - Northwest Zimbabwe (not too far away from the Omay and the Bumi lion). These pics were taken last month, the date on the photos is in-correct. I've got loads of pics of these 2, and after getting home and looking at them all, I'm 100% confident these 2 brothers are 4 - 4.5 yrs of age. They both have better/fuller mane development on top of the head/ears than the Bumi Lion.

Mane development varies from lion to lion, that simple!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com