THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Remember when we came here for good news, happiness, and joy?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remember when we came here for good news, happiness, and joy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
What is the TOTAL numbers of SCI members?????

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rxgremlin:

. . . we do need a plan. There are firms who specialize in this and they would know how to effectively mount a campaign. I think it goes without saying that this needs to be a proactive effort.

That is really the point. Instead of ad hoc films, articles and Facebook posts, there ought to be a strategy and each activity should support and be consistent with the overall strategy. Companies that do this very well and handle crisis communications well do not do so by accident. They are prepared, have a plan and their communications efforts all support the plan. It is not rocket science but it takes commitment and a firm that knows what it is doing.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree with Lane that there needs to be greater involvement of scientists. They hold the key to influencing policy. Maybe we can start by reaching out to some and seeing if they are willing to speak out.

I would like to see SCI or DSC invite someone like Craig Packer (or even convene a panel) to give a presentation at a convention.

All the major lion scientists I met back when running the Lion Conservation Task Force are still good friends.

I would be happy to take on this role and get scientific speakers to speak if we get the orgs to have interest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

. . . we do need a plan. There are firms who specialize in this and they would know how to effectively mount a campaign. I think it goes without saying that this needs to be a proactive effort.

That is really the point. Instead of ad hoc films, articles and Facebook posts, there ought to be a strategy and each activity should support and be consistent with the overall strategy. Companies that do this very well and handle crisis communications well do not do so by accident. They are prepared, have a plan and their communications efforts all support the plan. It is not rocket science but it takes commitment and a firm that knows what it is doing.

100%

This is one of the number one things we should have on our list to approach the orgs about.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
On the info app:

My idea was to have an app that when you hit the icon and the front page comes up...it has the latest talking points in bullet format as the front page. That way it can be kept current and everyone’s is always up to date.

For the folks who are tech savvy to some extent...there can be a pull-down menu for more info. But if all you can do is hit the icon...you always get a business card size page full of current talking points in bullet point outline format.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
quote:

100%

This is one of the number one things we should have on our list to approach the orgs about.

I would hope that SCI and DSC have consulted firms already. As you said it isn't rocket science. This is a time when I would like the representatives from SCI and DSC come here and say "we are on it" AND then give us specifics.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I agree with Lane that there needs to be greater involvement of scientists. They hold the key to influencing policy. Maybe we can start by reaching out to some and seeing if they are willing to speak out.

I would like to see SCI or DSC invite someone like Craig Packer (or even convene a panel) to give a presentation at a convention.

All the major lion scientists I met back when running the Lion Conservation Task Force are still good friends.

I would be happy to take on this role and get scientific speakers to speak if we get the orgs to have interest.

That would be greatly appreciated Lane.

Anybody have suggestions how to approach the orgs? If it is as simple as writing a letter, I can do that.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Why don’t we form an e-mail “working group” and then write letters with multiple signatures to the different organizations to initiate the conversations with them?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Writing zillions of long letters and going on and on will only bore people to death and chase them away.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I prefer to simply make an open and public invitation. SCI, through both Paul and Rick, have expressed a willingness to engage in a dialogue. DSC has a number of its senior leadership that post from time to time on AR, including Karl, Scott, Dave and others. The offer to share ideas and thoughts on how such organizations might be more effective in carrying the message forward regarding the conservation benefits of hunting has been made. If there is an interest in either organization in having such a conversation, they have multiple ways to contact folks. Personally, I am not interested in trying to push a wet noodle uphill. All the conversation and letters in the world will not force someone to listen that is not truly open to input. I am also not so presumptuous to believe that many ideas expressed have not already been vetted by these groups since their boards and committees are made up of smart people that are also passionate about hunting. That said, there are always new thoughts and ideas out there if you cast a broader net.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am happy to see the inclusion of hunters in President Trump's panel to address new regulations for importation of trophies. However, I fear the lack of professional and researcher experienced scientific professionals.

If any one can get anyone's ear. I do not see why a Dr. Packer and other researchers cannot be added to this council.

Posts: 12072 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I am happy to see the inclusion of hunters in President Trump's panel to address new regulations for importation of trophies. However, I fear the lack of professional and researcher experienced scientific professionals.

If any one can get anyone's ear. I do not see why a Dr. Packer and other researchers cannot be added to this council.

I share the concern that the composition of the panel will make it easier for any conclusions of the panel to be dismissed as biased . . . but that was undoubtedly going to occur anyway regarding any conclusions that support hunting in a positive manner.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
but that was undoubtedly going to occur anyway regarding any conclusions that support hunting in a positive manner.

PLUS ONE on that thought.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I REALLY like the idea of the monthly bullet points!

Damned fine idea.

And getting a group, a focus group, in one of these organizations to really focus on getting our conservation ethos out is great.

I will happily contribute any way possible!

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I share the concern that the composition of the panel will make it easier for any conclusions of the panel to be dismissed as biased . . . but that was undoubtedly going to occur anyway regarding any conclusions that support hunting in a positive manner.

There are "some" appropriate people on that panel and "some" inappropriate. I will leave my comments at that.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone needs to remember that reporters were there ready to pounce at the slightest thing that might damage Trump. I would not expect any miraclous public statements. This of course doesn’t mean that at the appropriate time a well educated conservationist that the media will have a really hard time attacking might not speak up in a very pro hunting way.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

There are "some" appropriate people on that panel and "some" inappropriate. I will leave my comments at that.

Lane I agree and whilst it has some very fine representatives from our industry as you stated earlier it would be advantageous to include more qualified individuals. Just need to get that message across.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I prefer to simply make an open and public invitation. SCI, through both Paul and Rick, have expressed a willingness to engage in a dialogue. DSC has a number of its senior leadership that post from time to time on AR, including Karl, Scott, Dave and others. The offer to share ideas and thoughts on how such organizations might be more effective in carrying the message forward regarding the conservation benefits of hunting has been made. If there is an interest in either organization in having such a conversation, they have multiple ways to contact folks. Personally, I am not interested in trying to push a wet noodle uphill. All the conversation and letters in the world will not force someone to listen that is not truly open to input. I am also not so presumptuous to believe that many ideas expressed have not already been vetted by these groups since their boards and committees are made up of smart people that are also passionate about hunting. That said, there are always new thoughts and ideas out there if you cast a broader net.

Mike,
I see from the date and time on HSUS suit thread...that Rick Parsons had been back onto AR...but mum’s the word to our questions.

Likewise, no one from DSC has made a comment. This has always been my experience. I have found that when we did push the envelope, DSC would listen and act if convinced by one’s data/opinion. SCI...not so much.

Thus, if we as concerned hunters want pro-action...it is my opinion we will have to drive the agenda.

Rx,
I would suggest that you call for PM’s of willing participants’ e-mail addresses and enact a “working group” via e-mail meeting and let’s get started trying to push an agenda before it is too late.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike,

I hear what you are saying. I would love to see some support on this forum from SCI, DSC and other organizations. However, in the absence of such support, I am still willing to try to do what I can to help with conservation. I would rather try and fail then do nothing at all.

On a lighter note, I am going to shamelessly steal your comment about pushing a wet noodle up a hill. I hadn't heard that one before!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Mike,
I see from the date and time on HSUS suit thread...that Rick Parsons had been back onto AR...but mum’s the word to our questions.

Likewise, no one from DSC has made a comment. This has always been my experience. I have found that when we did push the envelope, DSC would listen and act if convinced by one’s data/opinion. SCI...not so much.

Thus, if we as concerned hunters want pro-action...it is my opinion we will have to drive the agenda.

Rx,
I would suggest that you call for PM’s of willing participants’ e-mail addresses and enact a “working group” via e-mail meeting and let’s get started trying to push an agenda before it is too late.

Lane,

You beat me to the punch.

Anyone who is interested in participating in a working group on hunting and conservation can send me a PM. This includes representatives from SCI, DSC et al.

Let's get this ball rolling!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to add if there are any outfitters who are interested please send me a PM.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
To speak of my own thoughts on the subject...I will use my own Thread.

In regards to the recent collared tusker shot outside Gonarezhou:

If the goal is to save African Wildlife...the goal has to be to restore importability of ivory and lion parts to the USA...the market-share is too small with out that ability.

While again I will say the shoot was by all accounts legal...it hurt US (all hunters) immensely!

Why?

Because the USF&WS and the scientific community WILL view it as unethical.

Why? Because the bull was collared and KNOWN to be about.

They expect a pro in areas like this to be competent enough to look for a collar and know before shooting. They see excuses like the mopane was too thick as BS or worse...that we are just trigger happy fools happy to shoot first and look later. At the very least...I would expect the PH to at least say we saw the collar and then made a conscious decision to shoot a legal ele anyway...that would have made the optics slightly better as to professional qualification.

Agencies like USF&WS are looking for cooperation between orgs like Frankfort Zoological Society and hunters...not adversarial roles.

They are looking to see hunters take it upon themselves to make the conscious decision to let ele like these walk and coordinate with park scientific personnel.

When we start showing the world we can and will do these things...you will see the tides begin to turn against the rabid anti-hunters in favor of sustainable ethical hunting as conservation.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Legal or not - ETHICS MATTER!!!!!

If this ele was killed with aid of the collar or tracked electronically - that is pure greed and unethical.

Cecil the lion was somewhat similar. We are accountable for our actions and methods. If you are promised a big "hefalump" and it sound suspicious, check it out. There are no freebies our there.

Again, I have no idea what the truth is in this situation, but rest assure, shooting a collared animal that is well known in the area is not a good idea.

If we do not clean up our ethics, LEGAL OR NOT, hunting will change dramatically.

ETHICS MATTER!!!!

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

If the goal is to save African Wildlife...the goal has to be to restore importability of ivory and lion parts to the USA...the market-share is too small with out that ability.

While again I will say the shoot was by all accounts legal...it hurt US (all hunters) immensely!

Why?

They expect a pro in areas like this to be competent enough to look for a collar and know before shooting. They see excuses like the mopane was too thick as BS or worse...that we are just trigger happy fools happy to shoot first and look later. At the very least...I would expect the PH to at least say we saw the collar and then made a conscious decision to shoot a legal ele anyway...that would have made the optics slightly better as to professional qualification.

Agencies like USF&WS are looking for cooperation between orgs like Frankfort Zoological Society and hunters...not adversarial roles.

They are looking to see hunters take it upon themselves to make the conscious decision to let ele like these walk and coordinate with park scientific personnel.

When we start showing the world we can and will do these things...you will see the tides begin to turn against the rabid anti-hunters in favor of sustainable ethical hunting as conservation.

+1

It is poor judgement for a ph who cannot see a collared elephant.

Shooting leopards when subject to strict penalities for female animals often become a massive committee decision in the save when ph don’t want to be subjected to penalities for wrong decisions.

No one bordering the Krueger ever ends up shooting one of their iconic tickets.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:

They expect a pro in areas like this to be competent enough to look for a collar and know before shooting.

. . . I am reminded of that old saying . . . fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, same on me.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the only lion hunt I have been on, there were collared lions in the area. We looked at 2 and passed on them. When we located a potential shooter, we had to wait until we could see 100% that he was not collared. He wasn't.

Later in the hunt, we saw another collared female.

Avoid the collars...

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Easter do your sources contend or maintain that the Outfitter was informed this bull was in the concession?

Posts: 12072 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
LHeym500,
I have received info in that regard...at this time...I am going to wait for further clarification before commenting on that subject.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dr. Easter do your sources contend or maintain that the Outfitter was informed this bull was in the concession?

"Bush Telegraph" is an option of communication and in such areas and situations where an elephant of particular interest is known to have crossed the border, one should not exclude the possibility that such information is "leaked" out to a 3rd party who would compensate (reward) the informer.

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Why?

+1

It is poor judgement for a ph who cannot see a collared elephant.

Shooting leopards when subject to strict penalities for female animals often become a massive committee decision in the save when ph don’t want to be subjected to penalities for wrong decisions.

No one bordering the Krueger ever ends up shooting one of their iconic tickets.

Mike

The professional hunting community as well as client sportsmen are going to have to be seen by the non-hunting (not anti) community...as the protectors of these treasures and not their adversaries. We need to get along with the photo-safari guides and first and foremost do what is right by wildlife and habitat.

When one can recognize the above taking place...you will see the tides of hate of hunters begin to ebb.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Obama and the tricksters at photobucket is what happened.

That and the repeal of Smith-Mundht Act in the 2012 NDAA. ---Now it is no longer illegal for the Media to use propaganda and manipulation on the masses.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
Obama and the tricksters at photobucket is what happened.

That and the repeal of Smith-Mundt Act in the 2012 NDAA. ---Now it is no longer illegal for the Media to use propaganda and manipulation on the masses.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I know many of you here are not upland hunters nor is this a forum regarding upland hunting but I thought this was a great article and worth sharing...

https://www.projectupland.com/...-hunter-recruitment/

While I agree, we must work to improve our image and rid our ranks of slob hunters, recruiting new hunters to our sport can double our numbers overnight if we take one young person or nonhunter into the field with us to participate in our sport. The war is not going to be won easily or quickly... just stacking one brick on top of another and rebuilding our numbers may. Once folks get into a woodlot or the great wilderness areas, they feel what we feel and what is so hard for us to put into words. And IMHO, wins them to our cause and to our side. Just my $.02 and worth that.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
100% Russell!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane, That's a great photo!

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thank you kindly sir.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane, That is wonderful! How old was he? ( My 9 year old grandson, Jaxon, will hunt some small plains game this year.)

You know how I hate talking about myself but I must tell you this story. This was 45 years ago.

We named our first son Russel. Yes, with one 'L'. We were living in Fort Simpson on the MacKenzie River in the NWT, at the time, and nobody knew how to spell "Russell".
Sandy was seven months pregnant with Russel when we took a long trip in our flat bottom scow, up the Laird River to Nahanni Butte The wind blew against the current and the waves were choppy. The boat slapped the water all day long.
I now tell people that's how Russel got the spelling for his name. The boat shook the "L" out of him. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Lane, That is wonderful! How old was he? ( My 9 year old grandson, Jaxon, will hunt some small plains game this year.)

You know how I hate talking about myself but I must tell you this story. This was 45 years ago.

We named our first son Russel. Yes, with one 'L'. We were living in Fort Simpson on the MacKenzie River in the NWT, at the time, and nobody knew how to spell "Russell".
Sandy was seven months pregnant with Russel when we took a long trip in our flat bottom scow, up the Laird River to Nahanni Butte The wind blew against the current and the waves were choppy. The boat slapped the water all day long.
I now tell people that's how Russel got the spelling for his name. The boat shook the "L" out of him. Brian

rotflmo

That is Martin Lane Easter. He is 8. He loves to boat and fish as well and I always tell him grew into a person on a boat. The summer Kristie was pregnant with him...we fished almost every day.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is awesome. Sounds like it's right out Robert Ruark's "The Old Man and The Boy".

I read "100% Russel" at the top of your post and assumed the boy's name was Russel.