THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Remember when we came here for good news, happiness, and joy?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remember when we came here for good news, happiness, and joy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Well, just for fun I'm gonna tell the story of the time Andrew "Fairgame" Baldry, Bell-Cross and myself were hunting lions in Lunga Luswishi in 2007. Now mind you, the hunt at the time cost me $48k - which to me is a considerable amount of money, so obviously I want it going as smoothly as possible.

Well a few days into the hunt we hear these guys at this 300 acre photo camp (literally - they had 300 acres, what the heck are you gonna do with that???) down river 15 miles or so have been cutting down my lion baits at that end - pissing on them, throwing diesel on them, etc. The report is the white camp manager was ordering his guys to do so - and they told our guys, etc. Well, as you can imagine - we were none to happy about that. Especially considering they were illegally entering the GMA to do so!!!!

Good heavens....I thought Baldry was gonna blow a gasket, he's jumping around like a hound shi**ing a peach seed - I mean this guy is ready for war! flame Of course, so am I - and Bell-Cross is his same mild mannered self. Well Baldry and I insist we head there immediately - we find this little camp manager, and we feed him to the crocs. So we load up, and off we go with my girlfriend in tow. Of course she knows my willingness for a good ole fashion punch-up, Baldry is definitely ready for a scrap too - and she's freaking out that I'm going straight to a Zambian jail, never to be heard from again! dancing

First thing we do is go to our baits, and sure enough - they had been cut down, tampered with, destroyed, etc. So the anger has only heightened now at this point, and even Bell-Cross is racing to the photo camp like its his job! Well like the word seems to do in the bush, the camp manager got word we were coming - and he had escaped to the other side of the river literally only minutes before we arrived! As we rocked up to the camp, I literally jumped off the truck hollering like an idiot - demanding to know who messed with our baits, and ready to grab the first guy by the head who gave any acknowledgement of this "heinous" act, with Baldry right behind me - mad as a hornet, screaming the local language at the camp staff! Looking back on it, its rather hilarious now - but at the time Andrew and I really thought we were gonna sort these dudes out! Smiler

Needless to say, nothing really happened - just a lot of loud conversation (mostly us yelling at them) and heck, I don't even know if they knew what the heck I was saying or not?
Regardless they knew we were upset, so several of the camp manager's guys told our scout and Richard's boys what had happened, how they were instructed to remove our baits - and who told them to do so. We informed them not to do it again, and went on our way!

Now at the end of the day, nobody here cares...I realize that. But I just wanted to lighten the mood with a goofy story, cause I hate to see a lot of us thinking about Africa the way we do now, versus how we did 11 years ago. Hopefully we'll see light at the end of the tunnel?

And no, I did not get a lion on that hunt! It was the only lion hunt I ever did with Bell-Cross (be it my hunt or with a client) where we didn't get a lion!Mad

Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37773 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
THE FAIR CHASE HUNTER:

• Knows and obeys the law, and insists others do as well
• Understands that it is not only about just what is legal, but also what is honorable and ethical
• Defines "unfair advantage" as when the game does not have reasonable chance of escape
• Cares about and respects all wildlife and the ecosystems that support them, which includes making full use of game animals taken
• Measures success not in the quantity of game taken, but by the quality of the chase
• Embraces the "no guarantees" nature of hunting
• Uses technology in a way that does not diminish the importance of developing skills as a hunter or reduces hunting to just shooting
• Knows his or her limitations, and stretches the stalk not the shot
• Takes pride in the decisions he or she makes in the field and takes full responsibility for his or her actions

[Boone and Crockett Club Principles of Fair Chase]

Well I for one embrace those criteria wholeheartedly...as I am sure the vast majority here do as well.

I will even go as far to say that when I book a hunt...those criteria are used in my decision making process.

Here is the tough part though...how do we go from just all agreeing that they are good...to using them to advance our agenda: hunting as conservation?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37773 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
And the american hunters should get rid of organizations like SCI and NRA... they are just digging their own grave and Ours in the long run.

Or at least make them change some focus ...

No offend meant to anyone, but I do not see these two organizations do any good in an international perspecive..

The US hunters should also urge US organzations to work closer with Cites...

Morten

Morten - The NRA was never intended to be an international organization...period! The NRA - with its 5 million members is here to "protect / fight for" the rights of all U.S. citizens to keep and bear arms! The last thing any responsible, gun owning American would ever want is to abolish the NRA....ever! Unfortunately you get too much liberal / biased media in Europe, rather than the truth / facts.

We as Americans live with the greatest "freedoms" in the world, because of organizations like the NRA. I will never denounce the NRA, its intentions, or their continued good work. We Americans don't allow our government to trounce upon or rights / freedoms, and organizations like the NRA are here to ensure those rights are protected for generations to come.

No offense taken of course....but those who don't know / understand the freedoms we have here, will never understand why we Americans are so willing to fight to keep them! Freedom is never "FREE"!

Aaron,

I understand your point and of course we do not know all history or details in the US. At the same time we have a lots of guns in our country and in Europe in general. We also have our freedom. My point is what have been said here in this thread - there are new times: New generations are growing up. New way of thinking- New way of looking at us hunters and weapon owners. I am sure that future will not be like past. Sustainable goals must be adapted. I am not sure that SCI and NRA can be the same in future... but you US guys have to solve that. However, I am pretty convinced that even though NRA ( ans SCI ) is an American organization, their behaviour, statements etc will influence the international opinion in some way.

Morten

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1140 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
And the american hunters should get rid of organizations like SCI and NRA... they are just digging their own grave and Ours in the long run.

No offend meant to anyone, but I do not see these two organizations do any good in an international perspecive..

Morten

Morten - The NRA was never intended to be an international organization...period! The NRA - with its 5 million members is here to "protect / fight for" the rights of all U.S. citizens to keep and bear arms! The last thing any responsible, gun owning American would ever want is to abolish the NRA....ever! Unfortunately you get too much liberal / biased media in Europe, rather than the truth / facts.

We as Americans live with the greatest "freedoms" in the world, because of organizations like the NRA. I will never denounce the NRA, its intentions, or their continued good work. We Americans don't allow our government to trounce upon or rights / freedoms, and organizations like the NRA are here to ensure those rights are protected for generations to come.

No offense taken of course....but those who don't know / understand the freedoms we have here, will never understand why we Americans are so willing to fight to keep them! Freedom is never "FREE"!

100% Aaron...I could not agree more. And same with me Morten...no offense. I am on board most all of your other comments. Smiler

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Morten

Aaron,

I understand your point and of course we do not know all history or details in the US. At the same time we have a lots of guns in our country and in Europe in general. We also have our freedom. My point is what have been said here in this thread - there are new times: New generations are growing up. New way of thinking- New way of looking at us hunters and weapon owners. I am sure that future will not be like past. Sustainable goals must be adapted. I am not sure that SCI and NRA can be the same in future... but you US guys have to solve that. However, I am pretty convinced that even though NRA ( ans SCI ) is an American organization, their behaviour, statements etc will influence the international opinion in some way.

Morten

Morten

Morten,
I agree with you wholeheartedly on the actions of SCI and with the "I" standing for International...you can have the same influence upon them as we...I suppose.

I quit backing SCI when they did not adopt the Definition of a Huntable Male Lion...albeit I am still a Chapter Member.

That said...the NRA does nothing I am ashamed of or disagree with.

Can you give a reason why the NRA gives you pause?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Part of the fun was once sending telegrams or waiting months for mail to be exchanged with operators in Africa. The whole process of organizing a hunt was at least half the fun!!

Then everything changed with the internet revolution, it changed how hunters shop, do research and the unfortunate side effect that is gave the antis an easy way to find and attack the sport. I have posted some politically loaded threads here and have no regrets but to be honest nothing has really changed for the good we are as a whole GUTLESS in defense of our sport. In 2015 I offered EVERY respectable club, writer and TV Show I could reach out to a FREE 2016 Gwiaa Lion hunt with the only requirement being that the hunt be chronicled for public education and clearly show the entire process. Starting with arrival at the airport, the trip to the parks office, the introduction of the game scout etc. so that we could demonstrate that African hunting is the most controlled regulated hunting done anywhere and guess what NO NADDA NOTHING no one and that included an offer to one of the very big clubs that has their own TV show to let them place THIER signs on MY trucks allowing them to take full credit and all I ever heard was crickets. AR is an awesome forum and I don't want to be the constant Debbie downer but this whole hunting thing is going just as fast as libraries, news papers and pay phones. By the time the liberal antis figure out that we were right all along (how they ignore Kenya as an example now is beyond me) it will simply be too late.

So go hunting NOW shoot the s**t out of any ele you can afford, whack a Leopard before they are banned, kill a giraffe just so it irritates some dummy sitting on his futon in Boston, do what you can NOW because soon all that will be left is a bunch of old guys lamenting the day when we could hunt and roam the extinct wilds of Africa.

I hope that the North American hunting groups take notice of how this has all gone down because to think that the BILLIONS of $$ HSA, PETA, 96ELE, Born Free have to work with and have spent in Africa because it was an easy target and an easy win wont be pointed back here (look at the BC Griz ban) would be a severe miscalculation.

SAFARISEAN

Posts: 180 | Location: KC MO> | Registered: 31 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
THE FAIR CHASE HUNTER:

• Understands that it is not only about just what is legal, but also what is honorable and ethical
• Defines "unfair advantage" as when the game does not have reasonable chance of escape
• Cares about and respects all wildlife and the ecosystems that support them, which includes making full use of game animals taken
• Measures success not in the quantity of game taken, but by the quality of the chase
• Uses technology in a way that does not diminish the importance of developing skills as a hunter or reduces hunting to just shooting
• Takes pride in the decisions he or she makes in the field and takes full responsibility for his or her actions

Well I for one embrace those criteria wholeheartedly...as I am sure the vast majority here do as well.

I will even go as far to say that when I book a hunt...those criteria are used in my decision making process.

Here is the tough part though...how do we go from just all agreeing that they are good...to using them to advance our agenda: hunting as conservation?

A start would be for (i) reputable organizations like SCI and DSC to adopt similar principles and make them guiding principles for what the organizations and their members stand for, (ii) for those organizations and hunters to call out actions and practices that are inconsistent with those principles and condemn such actions and practices, and (iii) to make it clear to the public that those are the principles that we hold ourselves accountable by and that they should judge our conduct by as hunters.

Mike

Posts: 21678 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SafariSean:
Part of the fun was once sending telegrams or waiting months for mail to be exchanged with operators in Africa. The whole process of organizing a hunt was at least half the fun!!

Then everything changed with the internet revolution, it changed how hunters shop, do research and the unfortunate side effect that is gave the antis an easy way to find and attack the sport. I have posted some politically loaded threads here and have no regrets but to be honest nothing has really changed for the good we are as a whole GUTLESS in defense of our sport. In 2015 I offered EVERY respectable club, writer and TV Show I could reach out to a FREE 2016 Gwiaa Lion hunt with the only requirement being that the hunt be chronicled for public education and clearly show the entire process. Starting with arrival at the airport, the trip to the parks office, the introduction of the game scout etc. so that we could demonstrate that African hunting is the most controlled regulated hunting done anywhere and guess what NO NADDA NOTHING no one and that included an offer to one of the very big clubs that has their own TV show to let them place THIER signs on MY trucks allowing them to take full credit and all I ever heard was crickets. AR is an awesome forum and I don't want to be the constant Debbie downer but this whole hunting thing is going just as fast as libraries, news papers and pay phones. By the time the liberal antis figure out that we were right all along (how they ignore Kenya as an example now is beyond me) it will simply be too late.

So go hunting NOW shoot the s**t out of any ele you can afford, whack a Leopard before they are banned, kill a giraffe just so it irritates some dummy sitting on his futon in Boston, do what you can NOW because soon all that will be left is a bunch of old guys lamenting the day when we could hunt and roam the extinct wilds of Africa.

I hope that the North American hunting groups take notice of how this has all gone down because to think that the BILLIONS of $$ HSA, PETA, 96ELE, Born Free have to work with and have spent in Africa because it was an easy target and an easy win wont be pointed back here (look at the BC Griz ban) would be a severe miscalculation.

They don't ignore it. In fact they recognize it and say: "We would rather there not be a _____ (insert ele, lion, etc etc) walk the earth than to ever condone you sick psychos (referring to hunters) shooting one as sport."

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
THE FAIR CHASE HUNTER:

A start would be for (i) reputable organizations like SCI and DSC to adopt similar principles and make them guiding principles for what the organizations and their members stand for, (ii) for those organizations and hunters to call out actions and practices that are inconsistent with those principles and condemn such actions and practices, and (iii) to make it clear to the public that those are the principles that we hold ourselves accountable by and that they should judge our conduct by as hunters.

Agreed. That was a similar approach the LCTF took with lion hunting and the Definition of a Huntable Male Lion.

We were successful with DSC...but NOT with SCI which led to the uplist of the lion and the cataclysm thereafter.

So lets approach DSC and SCI about adoption of the above.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I support the effort although I think if an organization is going to walk the talk, that would mean taking a serious look at what "hunts" they allow to be booked at their convention, what outfitters are allowed to be members, etc. Given those economic implications you wonder what sort of reception one might get. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Maybe some of the SCI and DSC folks that participate on AR would be willing to weigh in, perhaps by PM (without attribution) if more appropriate, on the prospects of something like that coming to fruition.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

And you wonder where the anti hunting fraternity gets their ammunition from?

I am not sure about you brother.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9950 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

No kidding. This is a pure case of the Tragedy of the Commons.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Morten

Aaron,

Morten

Morten

Morten - At the end of the day, America cannot force their rights, beliefs, or opinions on other nations around the world! Frankly, whether other nations like / dislike the NRA or our "American" stance on firearms means nothing to me! As an American, with a 2nd amendment "right" to keep / bear arms, I will fight for that right - to the DEATH if necessary. I'll never give up my guns, my right to own them, or my right to protect me / my family from a tyrannical govt. If the govt wants my guns, they can pry them from my cold / dead hands!

I've been to Europe with guns, I've been all around the world with guns - it shocks me as an American, the position folks have on guns? France is the worst......good heavens just the check-in people at Air France were literally shit scared of my guns - in the case.....are you kidding me? A gun is no different than a hammer - its only harmful if someone chooses to use it as such!

The rest of the world has continued down a liberal path, and we all see where that has gotten Germany, France, etc, etc. We here in America are not willing to let that happen, despite what the "world" thinks of the NRA, etc. I for one will never accept a "worldly" goal of dis-armament of the population, for the "good" of the world. History throughout the world has proven that's a really bad idea!

SCI as a hunting organization has made a lot of really bad moves IMO....moves that have been for their benefit and not that of the hunter / sportsman! Ego and self preservation has been more important to them than their "First for Hunters" motto. But I personally would never lump them in the same category as the NRA - of which I am a proud life-member!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Well said Aaron and a big plus one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Andrew - I surely see your point, and its well taken of course. Perhaps the poster could have used better wording, but his message remains. I've told clients this for several years now - if you want to hunt Africa, do it NOW - before the opportunity is gone!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
I support the effort although I think if an organization is going to walk the talk, that would mean taking a serious look at what "hunts" they allow to be booked at their convention, what outfitters are allowed to be members, etc. Given those economic implications you wonder what sort of reception one might get. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Maybe some of the SCI and DSC folks that participate on AR would be willing to weigh in, perhaps by PM (without attribution) if more appropriate, on the prospects of something like that coming to fruition.

I was surprised when SCI said they would not allow sales of captive bred lions (I have been told that is the politically correct term for canned) and DSC would continue to allow the sale at their show. We will see how this all plays out with the lion, it should be interesting.

The Boone and Crockett Club Principles of Fair Chase is a great start for a code of ethics for an organization.

Dr. Easter reminded us about SCI not adopting the shootable male lion. From a post on Africa Hunting President Paul Babaz still stands by that decision. Personally I agree with the standard for lion and even proposed the same be adopted for a cape buffalo. SCI's scoring favors younger buffalo, even though Paul claims SCI did a study that disapproves that idea. However all one needs to do is look at the photos of SCI's top ten buffalo and you will see quite a few immature bulls.

It would be nice to have guidelines (not laws) especially for the younger hunters and even older hunters just starting out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes Mike, but lets have it out in the open! Criticism is not something to shy away from - otherwise how do we rectify the problem?

But we need more than discussion...we need action. Nobody supports SCI more than Larry Shores for example, but he's not shy to point out their faults either. The character of any person is recognizing their faults - and fixing them, not ignoring them!

I've had to work hard on flapping my gums - just cause I can. Many here on AR taught me that civility is a better approach than forcefulness - you included. I learned that over the lion issue years ago. Regardless, my opinion didn't change - but hopefully some of my demeanor did? My point is, few people care about African wildlife more than you, Larry, Jeff, Andrew, Lane, Saeed, and the list goes on. But I think a lot of people don't think they see that "care" from SCI, just a means to an end (i.e. money) I frankly was surprised at their stance on CBL's, but I don't know enough about it - I am not part of the "in" crowd at SCI. However, as you mention - it would be nice to hear SCI's specific / individual take on that decision here on AR, that could help some of us to start to jump back on their band-wagon?

Your thoughts?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:
quote:

Dr. Easter reminded us about SCI not adopting the shootable male lion. From a post on Africa Hunting President Paul Babaz still stands by that decision.

Sir, you hit the nail on the head! This was SCI's single most devastating decision they ever made to / for the hunting community IMO. It is / was simply a guideline, not a "law", not a mandatory requirement of any kind, simply a guideline. One which showed the USFWS a concerted effort on behalf of the biggest hunting organization in the world, was willing to support conservation minded lion hunting practices....nothing more. But since DSC was first to adopt it (along with over 100 PH's, outfitters and agents) they turned their nose up at it, and rejected it. To this day, neither myself, Lane Easter or anyone I know of - has ever seen a legitimate reason for doing so? IMO it was personal, and nothing more.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Been on here for 10 years. knew nothing about African Hunting other than it was a childhood dream I thought I could never be part of.

I only hope a way is found for my young nephews and your sons and daughters to also dream of Africa and somehow find themselves there a decade from now.

It's hard not to be pessimistic with so many factors piling up against us. Yes, sometimes we are our own worst enemies. We bicker and fight about what is right and wrong. Some have criticized posted hunt reports after someone bothered to take the time to write and post them.

Have I mentioned photo bucket sucks!! I hurts me to look at my own reports, now just words with no images to support the narrative.

All that said, Joyce and I owe much to Saeed and countless others on this forum. We enjoyed five safaris and all were amazing experiences I would not trade for anything.

Let's do our best as hunters to, as Andrew put it, look at each others as Brothers (and Sisters). We are far better off united.

Cheers
Jim & Joyce

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7623 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I’ve been a member of AR for 10 years, but didn’t start posting until 2011, when I was planning my first hunt to Namibia. With the help of Jim W (Frostbit) my wife and I had a great trip, both hunting and sightseeing. I posted my first Hunt Report in 2012, and was criticized by a certain frequent poster for using a laser rangefinder and hunting near a dried up waterhole. To his credit, he later apologized for his remarks. I’ve gone on to post four Hunt Reports, and will continue to do so going forward. 99.9% of the comments I’ve received regarding my Hunt Reports have been positive, and I feel honored that people like D. Nelson, Andrew Baldry, Jim W. 2th Doc, Gusteaux and others have taken the time to comment on my efforts.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Dr. Easter reminded us about SCI not adopting the shootable male lion. From a post on Africa Hunting President Paul Babaz still stands by that decision.

Sir, you hit the nail on the head! This was SCI's single most devastating decision they ever made to / for the hunting community IMO. It is / was simply a guideline, not a "law", not a mandatory requirement of any kind, simply a guideline. One which showed the USFWS a concerted effort on behalf of the biggest hunting organization in the world, was willing to support conservation minded lion hunting practices....nothing more. But since DSC was first to adopt it (along with over 100 PH's, outfitters and agents) they turned their nose up at it, and rejected it. To this day, neither myself, Lane Easter or anyone I know of - has ever seen a legitimate reason for doing so? IMO it was personal, and nothing more.

Unfortunately we have many hunters who believe that if an activity is legal where done, then we are ethically obligated not to bitch about it or even worse we have to support them doing it.

"I may not agree with it but I will fight for their right to do it if its legal" 1859 Democratic Party Platform Statement on Slavery.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is the ONLY one of the above I have a problem with:
quote:
, because everyone's definition of Honorable and Ethical is different.

They are Personal/Individual concepts.

As a group, hunters can not afford to try and dictate the behaviors of other hunters. Each of us was reared and grew up and developed our own individual concepts of Honorable/Ethical behaviors or actions and the various Game Departments have a hard enough time getting people to do what is LEGAL.

As a group are we going to have to take another hunter on our hunts to make sure everything we do falls within the, at this point in time, undefinded or legislated parameters of what Ethical and Honorable behavior is.

Thev rest of the parameters are no different than what I have been operating under for 50 years, but I do not see how the Ethical/Honorable aspect can be enforced or how the definitions for enforcement can be established.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike,
I 100% agree with what you are referencing here.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Morten

Aaron,

Morten

Morten

Morten - At the end of the day, America cannot force their rights, beliefs, or opinions on other nations around the world! Frankly, whether other nations like / dislike the NRA or our "American" stance on firearms means nothing to me! As an American, with a 2nd amendment "right" to keep / bear arms, I will fight for that right - to the DEATH if necessary. I'll never give up my guns, my right to own them, or my right to protect me / my family from a tyrannical govt. If the govt wants my guns, they can pry them from my cold / dead hands!

I've been to Europe with guns, I've been all around the world with guns - it shocks me as an American, the position folks have on guns? France is the worst......good heavens just the check-in people at Air France were literally shit scared of my guns - in the case.....are you kidding me? A gun is no different than a hammer - its only harmful if someone chooses to use it as such!

The rest of the world has continued down a liberal path, and we all see where that has gotten Germany, France, etc, etc. We here in America are not willing to let that happen, despite what the "world" thinks of the NRA, etc. I for one will never accept a "worldly" goal of dis-armament of the population, for the "good" of the world. History throughout the world has proven that's a really bad idea!

SCI as a hunting organization has made a lot of really bad moves IMO....moves that have been for their benefit and not that of the hunter / sportsman! Ego and self preservation has been more important to them than their "First for Hunters" motto. But I personally would never lump them in the same category as the NRA - of which I am a proud life-member!!

100%

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
While we may have different opinions about ethics, conservation practices, etc the ultimate goal is to preserve our hunting heritage.

There are people like Aaron and Dr. Easter that put the heart and soul in to saving the lion and lion hunting. Larryshores and mjines have put time and money in preserving our hunting heritage as have many others.

Somebody like Paul Babaz must put his life on hold to spend the amount of time required to be President of SCI and everything that goes with it. He is doing what he believes is best for all hunters even if we (I) do not agree with everything. I could never participate to the level he does.

So to Paul and everybody else that works to preserve our heritage thank you!!

To those who just like to bitch and complain, get off the keyboard and do something that makes a difference. And that is not directed at any one person, but I am sure somebody with a guilty conscience will speak up.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
While we may have different opinions about ethics, conservation practices, etc the ultimate goal is to preserve our hunting heritage.

There are people like Aaron and Dr. Easter that put the heart and soul in to saving the lion and lion hunting. Larryshores and mjines have put time and money in preserving our hunting heritage as have many others.

Somebody like Paul Babaz must put his life on hold to spend the amount of time required to be President of SCI and everything that goes with it. He is doing what he believes is best for all hunters even if we (I) do not agree with everything. I could never participate to the level he does.

So to Paul and everybody else that works to preserve our heritage thank you!!

To those who just like to bitch and complain, get off the keyboard and do something that makes a difference. And that is not directed at any one person, but I am sure somebody with a guilty conscience will speak up.

And if we go back a little more in years, the changes would seem utterly mind boggling.

I remember the first motor car that came into my country!!

Now we have the world's highest building, and one of the world's busiest airports.

I remember the days I used to take my 410 shotgun to school, and leave with a box of ammo behind the class room door.

Shooting birds with it on the way home.

I remember when there was no running water or electricity in the whole country!

Now we have the Internet and we communicate in real time as we are doing right now.

I can go on and on on all the changes that have occurred.

There is nothing we can do about them.

All we have to do is adapt, or get left behind.

You wish to preserve hunting for your kids and grand kids.

Go and hunt.

That is the best way of supporting it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68656 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Mike,
I 100% agree with what you are referencing here.

Let’s give it a few days to see if anyone with SCI or DSC weighs in here or by PM. If not, I will be happy to ping a few of them. I applaud B&C for articulating their principles of fair chase . . . and in doing so acknowledging that such principles must by their very nature involve subjective judgments.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Ever since the Kenyan hunting ban in 1977, it's all been downhill for African hunting.

There have been some plateaus, for sure, but they've been brief, mere respites.

Nowadays, as recent events have shown, the downhill slope has become much steeper, and much more slippery.

It's a sad and regretful thing. Worst of all, is that the game will continue to suffer, and some will no doubt dwindle in numbers all the way to extinction.

Not from legal hunting, of course. But from criminals, in and out of corrupt governments, including commercial poaching rings, and also from the actions of blundering idiots in and out of do-gooder governments, including USFWS.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13619 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Morten

I would have to take strong exception to the NRA. The NRA does not intend to accomplish anything on any international level. It is a single issue organization. The Second Amendment and that is it.

SCI perhaps . Definitely not the NRA. I think if you lived with the issues in this country, you might have a different opinion.

It is obvious things are not going well. I read some things online that boggle my mind. I just dropped out of a large on line group due to the volume of sheer stupidity eminating from the group.

I have decided to not take it lying down. I spend more time and money than ever fighting the issues. Someone has to.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In his 1990 book "Safari Rifles" Boddington said:
"Elephant hunting is closing down very rapidly."
"A sport hunter starting his career has no chance to become an expert on elephant hunting... he may take ONE or TWO reasonable bulls..."
"I do not believe elephant hunting will be a part of the African safari a decade from now."

A lot of guys would laugh to read that now. Guys on this forum have taken a dozen or more 'reasonable bulls.' But to Craig at the time (late 80s) it looked like Ele hunting was over.

I agree that we are in a battle, but the demise of African hunting has been predicted for decades, by many 'in the know.' And look how many great safaris have gone afield in the meantime.

I did give some money to Conservation Force recently, and plan to continue doing so. That's a great organization. And I plan to keep giving money to African outfitters... aka daily rates and trophy fees!

Posts: 447 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Frankly, the NRA has nothing to do with hunting, just as Larry says.

The ball is squarely in SCI's hands, and they have been doing nothing about it.

Hopefully the new management will start doing something.

And to a lesser extent DSC. They have been doing a great job so far, and I hope they continue to do so without being side tracked, as happened with SCI!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68656 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Andrew - I surely see your point, and its well taken of course. Perhaps the poster could have used better wording, but his message remains. I've told clients this for several years now - if you want to hunt Africa, do it NOW - before the opportunity is gone!!!

Brother Aaron You have been saying this for a number of years my friend.

We are not responsible for the demise of wildlife outside of our boundaries. Africa's wildlife is now very much confined to the vast hunting concessions and Parks. I see a movement that now recognises these havens and is starting to accept the presence of legal and responsible hunting and more importantly the communal landlords. Currently there is no model that can instantly replace us without impacting on communities and their lands. The same communities are realising the worth of their wildlife estates as wild Africa crumbles around them.

It is these people these Africans who now remain with some of the most desirable lands on earth and ultimately it is they who will dictate policy and if hunting is deemed a worthy and profitable activity then it will stay.

It is all up to us to prove this worth and the expansive conglomerates of SCI and DCS would do well to attach themselves to every single community in Africa whose lands are utilised in hunting. Make a difference here and this is a starting block.

In addition the likes of SCI should be proactive in discussions with our Government leaders who are probably not aware or simply cannot implement solutions to address the wildlife crisis?

It is not what we should have done but rather what shall we do.

And Crazyhorse you are welcome to use that line anytime you want my brother.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
True and inspiring words, Andrew. I hope that history proves them right.

But I fear the downhill slide will continue, and accelerate.

Every time I have hunted in Africa, and I have hunted there many times, I have felt a nostalgia for each day, even as it was still happening.

Every day, at some time or other, I mourned the loss of something I still possessed.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13619 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize there were so many Freemasons on this site: Aaron, CHC, Bwanamich, Butler and Fairgame himself. Big Grin

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
I didn't realize there were so many Freemasons on this site: Aaron, CHC, Bwanamich, Butler and Fairgame himself. Big Grin

We are brothers in arms.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I just wish Dogcat or Frostbit would hurry up and go hunt some exotic destination with some interesting beasts so they can come back and write about it here. Really do enjoy the hunt reports of those two and the many other scribes that put the effort into the reports.

I second the request to make uploading photos a less complex process. I am on the Bowsite forum and you can post photos without the need for some secondary hosting site like photo bucket or the like.

JCHB

Posts: 422 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't realize there were so many Freemasons on this site: Aaron, CHC, Bwanamich, Butler and Fairgame himself.

CHC???????? Que????

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Brother Aaron You have been saying this for a number of years my friend.

We are not responsible for the demise of wildlife outside of our boundaries. Africa's wildlife is now very much confined to the vast hunting concessions and Parks. I see a movement that now recognises these havens and is starting to accept the presence of legal and responsible hunting and more importantly the communal landlords. Currently there is no model that can instantly replace us without impacting on communities and their lands. The same communities are realising the worth of their wildlife estates as wild Africa crumbles around them.

It is these people these Africans who now remain with some of the most desirable lands on earth and ultimately it is they who will dictate policy and if hunting is deemed a worthy and profitable activity then it will stay.

It is all up to us to prove this worth and the expansive conglomerates of SCI and DCS would do well to attach themselves to every single community in Africa whose lands are utilised in hunting. Make a difference here and this is a starting block.

In addition the likes of SCI should be proactive in discussions with our Government leaders who are probably not aware or simply cannot implement solutions to address the wildlife crisis?

It is not what we should have done but rather what shall we do.

And Crazyhorse you are welcome to use that line anytime you want my brother.

Agreed Andrew! I don't mean to dismiss efforts of folks like yourself...not in the least.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the old days before the Internet, when you came back from a hunt you shared your photos and stories with your friends and maybe their friends who were present. Now you post stuff online and share it with the world. This has certainly not done hunters a favor IMO and anti-hunters have exploited this to make hunters look like killers and portrayed international trophy hunters in bad light. For sure shooting of the Big 5 is not considered cool anymore!!

Remember also that most youngsters are just not as interested in hunting as well to the depth and passion of people in their 50s+++.

As the world becomes more urbanised, there is less room for outdoor pursuits.......

In the meanwhile let the show go on. I will be leaving in a few hours for Africa for a month, hunting buffalo, lion etc with clients.

Arjun Reddy
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628
DSC booth # 1222 (January 4th to 7th)
SCI booth # 5297 (January 31st to February 3rd)

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think there still is a lot of joy and good news, etc on this board.

I found that there are a ton of very knowledgeable people who unselfishly offer their unbiased, advice (based upon experience) when people have questions about the logistics involved in African Hunting (or anything else).

There are some forum members who hope to profit financially from being on this website (free marketing). This is generally okay, but I found that sometimes their advice to be somewhat biased (ex. Zimbabwe or Zambia, etc).

And there is a relatively small minority that seems to get easily offended and ready to go to the mat, if you don't agree with them, or post something that they interpret as a slight to them or one of their forum buddies.

And then there is The Political Forum (a lost cause IMO).

Overall, I think this forum still has a lot more decent people who are genuinely interested in hunting and shooting sports, than it does the ones who just want to make a buck, or seem to have an "forum chip on their shoulder".

As always JMO

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote