THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    TIPS! The Subject Keeps Coming Up Frequently, Please Help.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 24

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TIPS! The Subject Keeps Coming Up Frequently, Please Help.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I'll comment again and touch on a number of topics that others have addressed. First, let me start with the fact that I love Tanzania, I will continue to hunt Tanzania, and I will continue to hunt with the same outfit. Now that changes things somewhat, as others have noted.

Second, in Tanzania, people's estimates of 10 people in camp is ridiculous. Minimum of 16 and up to 20 or more is my experience. So, $100 a day "for the staff" doesn't go very far.

I've never had staff not bust their butt to make me happy, each in their way, based on their respective jobs. So I tend to tip well, based on great effort. As some have said, great effort generates great results, and that has generally been the case.

But it's not the result that generates the "tip". It's a job well-earned. I probably tip too much. I've always tipped over what was "recommended." But I've always felt the guys, and gals in one or two instances, earned it and went above and beyond, including the folks I never saw until the last day.

Plus it's always interesting when you come back and you recognize that tracker or camp staff, who you hunted with before, and remember him by name. If you tipped well the last time they seem to remember you. If you didn't, I suspect they would remember you as well.

I've always expected and received first rate service in Tanzania, but I've always hunted with a first-rate outfit. I will reward that first rate effort and performance. How many times can I do this? And, I can't take it with me.

Hear Hear!!!!

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Several members said they had below par treatment right across the board.

From the minute they were picked up from the airport.

To having to deal with a PH who was apparently upset about something, throughout the hunt.

Others have mentioned that they were promised the camp to themselves. But had to share with others.

In all these occasions, a recommendation for tips was given to them at the end of the hunt.

Saeed:

Your above points are well taken though somewhat unrelated to parting with a gratuity at the end of the hunt.

The question of meet and greet on arrival reflects directly on mismanagement issues and should be taken up with the outfitter.

The issue of a disgruntled PH is indeed a valid point and totally agree that such an individual can totally ruin a safari.

The promise of camp exclusivity is also a point well taken but is the typical marketing BS offered by the outfitter or agent as the case may be, to secure the deal.

All of the above points however have nothing to do with the people who actually provide you with the final service as they are basically third parties who have had absolutely nothing to do with organizing the hunt.
Theirs is the responsibility in doing their utmost in ensuring your stay in camp meets and possibly exceeds your expectations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While always a contentious issue it is an issue that should not be complicated and have to say that Mark Youngs post hits it on the head

posted 14 March 2014 21:03 Hide Post
I don't know why this tipping thing causes such angst. A safari is a commodity. Something you have bought. You own it. Handle all aspects of the tip as you prefer. Don't give a tip. Give a tip. Give what you want to who you want. I think it is only reasonable to consult the PH so you don't upset the pecking order in the camp if you choose to tip but otherwise don't worry about it.

I personally think it is nice to tip and it adds to my safari experience but if it doesn't work for you don't tip and don't loose any sleep over what the safari crew will think of you once you've left. You've already paid to hire them for your safari. You've paid for their service. A tip is something extra.

Whatever tipping structure a particular camp has is not your problem nor is how many people are in the staff your problem. Safari operators often hire a 20 plus person crew because it is politically advantageous to hire as many locals as possible. Don't worry about stretching your budget to give everybody something.

If your going to tip figure out what number works for you and budget for that. If you don't want to tip don't. In either case don't fret about it.

Mark

From an operators point of view some points that may help

1/ WE POSTED AN AVERAGE PER DAY TIP SCHEDULE ON OUR WEBSITE
- The reason we did that was we were asked so many times by clients to do so and were nearly always asked by clients in camp “how much to give?”. This has been well received. IT CLEARLY STATES THAT IT IS PREFORMANCE BASED AND NOT EXPECTED AND ONE CAN LEAVE MORE LESS OR NOTHING!

2/ If and when we have a client that is a “NON tipper” as we do IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE TO EFFORT OR STANDARD OF THE SAFARI. I honestly believe if one runs a good outfit then professionalism will OVER RIDE “outward emotion”. In outward Emotion I mean that no one will show any dissatisfaction towards the client at the end of a hunt should he have not tipped or did not tip a lot. That is not to say that there will not be discussions within the staff about the client once he has left- that’s just human nature! Would they treat him any differently if and when he returned- NO. If I heard that PH/staff did they would be fired on the spot and they know it. I have a client who has hunted with me many many times for elephant and is a virtual non tipper and he is always received with equal enthusiasm as a big tipper- its not Mike Jines by the way!!!!

3/ When a client asks the PH for a recommendation I can say with 100% certainty, within our group of PHs anyway, and I am sure amongst any other self respecting Phs that they would NEVER put an amount against their name. Infact their name would not be there at all.

4/ As to the comment that operators should pay staff a decent wage where by they do not need/ expect a tip. Firstly I think that it is important to understand that from yester year one of the experiences of hunting Africa was the fact that you were waited on at ever second and your every need was taken care of. Labour was ridiculously cheap and one could afford to have 20 people a camp.

Things have now changed and labour is not cheap. It is our single greatest expense every year. Our camps are now down to an average of 5 people per camp which is the bare minuim to run a camp TO OUR CLIENTS EXPECTATIONS. The alternative is Africa turning into a Canadian styled hunt where there is you ,your guide ,your two man tent and your back pack filled with baked beans. I am sure that that is not what the bulk of clients want when it comes to Africa.

5/ There is never general discussion about tips in camp with a new client and Ph will try and turn the conversation away from it at all costs. Obviously this is different when it is a client has hunted with us before and he knows how it works etc. For a PH to initiate a conversation about tipping before the end of the hunt or worse still discuss a previous clients tip good or bad would certainly get him fired by a decent operation.

Bottom line is if you want to tip and you have had a good experience TIP. If you wanted to tip but you had a bad experience DO NOT TIP .If you have had a good experience and you do not want to tip – it is your right DO NOT TIP.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:

For a PH to initiate a conversation about tipping before the end of the hunt or worse still discuss a previous clients tip good or bad would certainly get him fired by a decent operation.

Then of course there is the owner of the operation who discusses a previous client's tip. I guess he probably won't get fired.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Still a good topic and lots of grey areas
More of a light and clarification came out of this discussion, but I don't see much solution yet.
Haven't yet seen admittance by operators that business is good and all their help is getting adequate or better then that wages so tipping some is just icing on the cake instead of a must.
All I ever hear is how tough it is on safari businesses to make a living.
That reminds me contractors here in US. You ask any one of them how is business and all gonna hear is how tough it is and hem and haw
and how they are almost destitute, please spare me.
Yes, it can be tough but that's the way it is.
First at all is that you take care of your employees because they are the ones that will make or break your business .
Let's put tips aside and look at it this way.
Hunters going to Africa pay ton of money for the privilege of hunting and make these businesses possible so everyone in safari business should be happy and any tipping should be last thing on their mind
Some of the comments about guys that shouldn't be able to go on Safari that they saved money for years because they may not have enough money for tips is downright class warfare
Comment about Canadian operators and can of beans is out of line as well
There is always gonna be differences in all walks of life but the fact that someone pays full price and then be expected to pay more can be at times difficult

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:
While always a contentious issue it is an issue that should not be complicated and have to say that Mark Youngs post hits it on the head

posted 14 March 2014 21:03 Hide Post
I don't know why this tipping thing causes such angst. A safari is a commodity. Something you have bought. You own it. Handle all aspects of the tip as you prefer. Don't give a tip. Give a tip. Give what you want to who you want. I think it is only reasonable to consult the PH so you don't upset the pecking order in the camp if you choose to tip but otherwise don't worry about it.

I personally think it is nice to tip and it adds to my safari experience but if it doesn't work for you don't tip and don't loose any sleep over what the safari crew will think of you once you've left. You've already paid to hire them for your safari. You've paid for their service. A tip is something extra.

Whatever tipping structure a particular camp has is not your problem nor is how many people are in the staff your problem. Safari operators often hire a 20 plus person crew because it is politically advantageous to hire as many locals as possible. Don't worry about stretching your budget to give everybody something.

If your going to tip figure out what number works for you and budget for that. If you don't want to tip don't. In either case don't fret about it.

Mark

From an operators point of view some points that may help

- The reason we did that was we were asked so many times by clients to do so and were nearly always asked by clients in camp “how much to give?”. This has been well received. IT CLEARLY STATES THAT IT IS PREFORMANCE BASED AND NOT EXPECTED AND ONE CAN LEAVE MORE LESS OR NOTHING!

2/ If and when we have a client that is a “NON tipper” as we do IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE TO EFFORT OR STANDARD OF THE SAFARI. I honestly believe if one runs a good outfit then professionalism will OVER RIDE “outward emotion”. In outward Emotion I mean that no one will show any dissatisfaction towards the client at the end of a hunt should he have not tipped or did not tip a lot. That is not to say that there will not be discussions within the staff about the client once he has left- that’s just human nature! Would they treat him any differently if and when he returned- NO. If I heard that PH/staff did they would be fired on the spot and they know it. I have a client who has hunted with me many many times for elephant and is a virtual non tipper and he is always received with equal enthusiasm as a big tipper- its not Mike Jines by the way!!!!

3/ When a client asks the PH for a recommendation I can say with 100% certainty, within our group of PHs anyway, and I am sure amongst any other self respecting Phs that they would NEVER put an amount against their name. Infact their name would not be there at all.

4/ As to the comment that operators should pay staff a decent wage where by they do not need/ expect a tip. Firstly I think that it is important to understand that from yester year one of the experiences of hunting Africa was the fact that you were waited on at ever second and your every need was taken care of. Labour was ridiculously cheap and one could afford to have 20 people a camp.

Things have now changed and labour is not cheap. It is our single greatest expense every year. Our camps are now down to an average of 5 people per camp which is the bare minuim to run a camp TO OUR CLIENTS EXPECTATIONS. The alternative is Africa turning into a Canadian styled hunt where there is you ,your guide ,your two man tent and your back pack filled with baked beans. I am sure that that is not what the bulk of clients want when it comes to Africa.

5/ There is never general discussion about tips in camp with a new client and Ph will try and turn the conversation away from it at all costs. Obviously this is different when it is a client has hunted with us before and he knows how it works etc. For a PH to initiate a conversation about tipping before the end of the hunt or worse still discuss a previous clients tip good or bad would certainly get him fired by a decent operation.

Bottom line is if you want to tip and you have had a good experience TIP. If you wanted to tip but you had a bad experience DO NOT TIP .If you have had a good experience and you do not want to tip – it is your right DO NOT TIP.

Buzz,
That was a very professional post and exemplifies a well run outfit.

It also highlights the #1 culprit for this whole discussion and that is rising labor costs.

I dare say that high labor cost is the single foremost reason for the USA's decline in manufacturing and innovation. Labor is a commodity...it is worth only what you can get someone to pay you to perform that labor.

I run a service business, a vet hospital for horses. For my 20 years of being in the business, labor has ALWAYS been the number one expense for the business. But tipping has never been an aspect of compensation and it never will be. That said...artificial forces raising labor costs is one of my biggest concerns as a business owner.

While it has NEVER been a problem with me...amongst hunters I know...it is a source of angst. I suspect the reason is that the concept is just foreign for many US business owners.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
As a long time guide I hate it when you get American hunters who start dropping the hints that you are going to get a big tip if you 'produce' and look after them. I do my best for all hunters and that includes Joe Average, who is stretching things just to go on the hunt in the first place.

Usually the guys who do drop the hints about generous tips are the worst ones to be in the bush with.

I like Macs B's last post. Cynical, but accurate and it made me smile.

Herein lies the rub.

"I hate it when you get Americans"

Long ago, I stopped looking at the Client/PH relationship as one of "friendship." I go into these things seeing it, eyes wide open, as a business relationship.

If we look forward to the safari and pursue a friendship, we are bound to make errors in how WE conduct the safari. You may not complain about something, you may not tell him what you really want to do. You really want him to like you....right?

If I feel good about the thing at the end, tips will be commensurate with the quality of the experience. But it needs to be all about the quality and not trying to "get him to like you."

If you cannot afford to tip the "customary amount" stay home. Safari hunting is expensive, extraordinarily expensive. There is no way to shortcut the experience.

I have a guest editorial coming out in "An African Hunting Magazine", (next issue) that speaks to this exact point. Gonna piss off some folks. But it needs to be addressed by the industry as a whole, not just on AR.

Just one man's opinion.

Steve

The post above by Steve is spot on. Steve is a friend and a VERY experienced Global Hunter. He knows first hand of what he writes and cold hard experience has taught him the lessons that dictate his words.

However, I want to point out a different point of view.

I am one of the principle producers in my business. I work 60-70 hrs per week average. I have worked many 80 hr weeks in my career. I am constantly consumed with either medicine or business management.

When I leave to go hunt Africa. It is my escape. I want it to be laid back and carefree. I like to hunt hard...in fact real hard. But...killing the animal to me is secondary to the overall experience. I WANT to feel like I am amongst friends having a good time and just enjoying the luxury of being in the bush enjoying God's bounty.

Just as soon as African Hunting becomes totally a business relationship requiring all the processes that I am trying to escape...I personally will probably NEVER go again.

Just my perspective and I don't expect anyone else to adopt it.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Easter's point is spot on for me as well.

While I understand that it is business, and that ultimately business is what the folks in camp think it is, a veneer of friendliness is essential.

When I get treated like another cog in the wheel, I would not return to that outfit.

That has happened to me in North America, but not in Africa while I was there.

Posts: 10594 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There lies ground between Steve's and Lane's approaches, and some get to/have to experience it frequently and can handle it without stressing out.

The safari experience is one example, where the relationship is business based, but where a bond of friendship and camaraderie go a LONG way to improving the experience.

There are lots more examples out there though.

Reading posts on this thread it seems that there are many AR members who are just not accustomed to managing people - which is a royal pita at times - and especially managing people they need or want to enjoy more than a purely business relationship with. Some people find managing a "friend" difficult, some don't. But it is entirely doable. You simply have to be able to switch gears and make the switch apparent enough for the person managed to follow along.

So, if you need to address a shortcoming it is best to do it first contact or last and then move on. [There are many first contacts or last contacts through a day - first thing in the AM, last thing before heading to your tent for a shower, before sitting down at the fire for a beer after your shower... lots through a day, so lots of opportunities to address any issues.] To make the gear switching apparent and to insure that the necessity to later address the issue is nil, I find that doing it very directly with enough forcefulness or sternness to leave no doubt that the shortcoming must be addressed works well - and then switch gears to a more pleasant topic, or the weather or anything to make sure that you have communicated clearly that the issue is closed.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you cannot afford to tip the "customary amount" stay home. Safari hunting is expensive, extraordinarily expensive. There is no way to shortcut the experience.

I've been following this thread with interest. There are a lot of grey areas I see popping up. I'm one that is not against tipping and will tip accordingly (for good or bad service, not if successful or unsuccessful).

Now I see some class warfare starting. I'm not a rich man and work hard. How can you say it if you cannot afford the " customary amount" to stay home? Who are you excluding and who are you to say? Why can't I tip what I can afford? Your telling me I shouldn't experience the same hunt as yours just because I can't afford as much as you. It's no different than bidding on a hunt and not paying the full price. We heard many time the right thing to do is to pay the full price. Example. You won a $10,000 hunt for $5,000. Now are you starting to base your tip on $5,000 instead of $10,000? I'm not starting a pissing match but, you cannot exclude people just because they can't afford the "customary amount."

quote:

My wife and I are looking into a Buff hunt in Moz. One PH we have looked into has posted the gratuities as "recommended 10% of total safari cost." Now I'm not positive if that includes your airline ticket cost but, you see how confusing it can be.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Highlander7,

The normal recommendations talk about 10% of the daily rate, not including the trophy fees as well.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Highlander7,

The normal recommendations talk about 10% of the daily rate, not including the trophy fees as well.

That's exactly what we were thinking without asking specific questions.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Highlander7,

To my way of thinking - 'total safari cost' - would include trophy fees as well..

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:
Highlander7,

To my way of thinking - 'total safari cost' - would include trophy fees as well..

I don't use a % of the daily rate or of the total cost of a safari as a basis for tips myself, but if you use % of total cost and include trophy fees some are so much higher than others it distorts results. For example the trophy fee for an elephant far exceeds that for a buff. A lion hunt would also be an example.

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
quote:

While the costs of labor may be increasing, I don't believe that is what is being discussed. The issue is whether or not it is proper to shift the manner in which those costs are paid from being included in the daily fees to being expected to be paid by tips.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never understood the percntage method of determining a tip for a safari. I just quoted a guy on a Tanzanian safari for 21 days. Based on 10% for the fees minus trophy fees the tip would be $10,000. A 21 day safari in Zim might only be half as much so a $5,000 tip? Did the Tanzanian crew work twice as hard? Of course not so why would they receive a tip twice as large?

To me a tip based on number of days worked and performance (not dead animals) makes far more sense.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
To me a tip based on number of days worked and performance (not dead animals) makes far more sense.

Mark:
Makes sense to me. Now, how about comparing a Zim plains game hunt and a Zim lion hunt. Seems to me folks work just as many hours on either hunt yet the lion hunt may cost 10x as much.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal,

To me what it takes to put on a real lion hunt compared to PG hunt is like comparing apples to oranges. Lions require a special skill set and alot of work. PG hunts not so much. Therefore I think the lion hunt or any DG hunt should warrant a larger per day tip if folks choose to leave one.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander7:
quote:

I've been following this thread with interest. There are a lot of grey areas I see popping up. I'm one that is not against tipping and will tip accordingly (for good or bad service, not if successful or unsuccessful).

Now I see some class warfare starting. I'm not a rich man and work hard. How can you say it if you cannot afford the " customary amount" to stay home? Who are you excluding and who are you to say? Why can't I tip what I can afford? Your telling me I shouldn't experience the same hunt as yours just because I can't afford as much as you. It's no different than bidding on a hunt and not paying the full price. We heard many time the right thing to do is to pay the full price. Example. You won a $10,000 hunt for $5,000. Now are you starting to base your tip on $5,000 instead of $10,000? I'm not starting a pissing match but, you cannot exclude people just because they can't afford the "customary amount."

quote:

My wife and I are looking into a Buff hunt in Moz. One PH we have looked into has posted the gratuities as "recommended 10% of total safari cost." Now I'm not positive if that includes your airline ticket cost but, you see how confusing it can be.

Who am I to say? If you cannot afford the entire package from Airfare to Taxidermy, you might want to either, not go or plan a safari you can afford, "soup to nuts"

It would be no different than buying a car you could afford the initial purchase of, yet not be able to afford the tax, title or insurance on. In this case, find a car you can afford. I see zero class warfare here.

A ten day PG safari in RSA could cost as little as 5-6 thousand dollars, the tip would obviously be commensurate with the amount. Conversely, a 21 day safari in TZ or CAR could result in tips of "customary amounts" that overvalue the entire RSA PG hunt. The expected tips need to be included in your hard budgetary numbers or you have done a disservice to both you and the service provider.

No class warfare here. Just opinion.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3377 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now I see some class warfare starting.

I don't see speaking the truth as trying to start a pissing contest. Maybe some of the Outfitters/PH's on here could voice their opinions concerning the comment that if a person can't afford the tips they should not try to do the hunts. Somehow I feel the professionals in the hunting business do not view things from that stand point.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
It is a class warfare any way you put it Steve.
Not a cool opinion.
The comparisons with cars, taxes etc. are like apples and oranges for sure.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
It is a class warfare any way you put it Steve.
Not a cool opinion.
The comparisons with cars, taxes etc. are like apples and oranges for sure.

I can respect but disagree. If you suggest for someone to buy any product or service without taking the total cost into consideration, that is up to the individual.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3377 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have spent time in over a dozen safari camps and in my humble opinion Buzz runs the best most efficient camps in the business. He does it with fewer people that take more responsibility than any other operator that I have been with in both Zambia and Zim. I can't see why five people can't take care of Jane and I for two weeks without regard to country. I have seen camps in Botswana where you will be greeted by a dozen overweight women singing and dancing who must spend half the day washing their uniforms. I am more comfortable with a small tight knit camp such as Buzz has in Dande East than a sprawling network of chalets along a river bed but that's just me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunny:
I have spent time in over a dozen safari camps and in my humble opinion Buzz runs the best most efficient camps in the business. He does it with fewer people that take more responsibility than any other operator that I have been with in both Zambia and Zim. I can't see why five people can't take care of Jane and I for two weeks without regard to country. I have seen camps in Botswana where you will be greeted by a dozen overweight women singing and dancing who must spend half the day washing their uniforms. I am more comfortable with a small tight knit camp such as Buzz has in Dande East than a sprawling network of chalets along a river bed but that's just me.

There were 22 people on the "tip sheet" in Ivory Camp in the Okavango Delta. Including the guy that lights the oil lamps and a separate guy that puts them out.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The larger problem than "class warfare" is that until there is some standardization of the tipping structure, people really don't know what it costs.

Given what Tanzania costs (from a guy who's been there) I would say there is no way to justify 10% of the total costs, or the "daily rate" costs as a tip.

I have been told that I am pretty generous with the tipping by the other folks in the camps at the same time I have been- and it has been nowhere near 10%.

On the other hand, 10% of a PG package price in South Africa seems a little low when you add up all the folks you are dealing with. Not the level of tip I give with DG, but still based on a per day figure in my mind.

Posts: 10594 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
You can't say this is class warfare or anything like that, that's just not true.

Tipping like some of these guys suggest is a purely American tradition. If you try to tell me that every operator out there feels that you have to tip or you should stay home, then explain why they book Europeans. Consider how many operators out there specialize in booking Europeans. No way its because of the tipping. We don't tip or if we do it might be a couple hundred to the cook or camp boss. Is it so hard to understand that everyone in the world doesn't feel the same way about this. tip what you feel is appropriate and works within your budget. The daily rate is just that, anymore is optional.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can't say this is class warfare or anything like that, that's just not true.

It was not an outfitter or PH that stated if you can't afford the tips don't go, it was a hunter/a client, and that is a form of class war fare.

If the professionals were saying such things this conversation would probably take a harsher turn, but they are not the ones saying it. They are in a business and are not going to alienate potential customers by making statements like that.

Clients have no such qualms about making such comments. This is simply another avenue that is pushing hunting toward a rich person's only activity, and Americans are the most guilty.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Chs , you said it right and that is why there is very few comments from Outfitters and agents or if there is they are pretty reserved

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
When I am in camp later this year I hope I do not share it with someone who makes comments like "you should stay home...".

I honestly believe that the outfitter would be offended as much me!

I believe that any discussion here on AR should be like around a camp fire.

It is a pity that some people forget their manners in an international forum.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dla69:
quote:

While the costs of labor may be increasing, I don't believe that is what is being discussed. The issue is whether or not it is proper to shift the manner in which those costs are paid from being included in the daily fees to being expected to be paid by tips.

The cost of labor isn't shifting to the client, it has always been there. Tipping has been a practice from the beginning, thankfully. Because tips are incentive pay.

Buzz informs that labor costs are rising at a rate greater than the past, and in order to keep daily rates (which cover all non incentive labor costs among other costs) safari operators, at least CMS, are trimming camp staff numbers. No linkage, except maybe the typical aggregate tip amount may drop because of fewer staff, or maybe stay the same and each staff member who earns a tip gets a little more, since more or less, the same work gets done, by fewer. But that is the customer's choice.

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We should be looking at the tip from a different
perspective;

It should not be linked at all to the amount of money you are spending with the outfitter on either day rates or trophy fees,

I hunted Tanzania in March 2013 and there were another 2 clients in camp, we were all there for 10 days,

They were both hunting a buffalo and some common plains game species.

I was hunting a full masaai species package which was about 3 times the cost of their day rates,

We each had the same people looking after us in camp and we each had a vehicle, Ph., driver and 2 trackers.

At the end of the safari the outfitter presented us with the Tip book as well as suggested tips,

Because my Safari was valued higher than the other 2 clients, I was expected to Tip more than them.

We should be Tipping a rate per day to the camp, and the value of this should be based on the outfitters daily labour cost. Not the value of the Safari.

JK

Posts: 494 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We should be Tipping a rate per day to the camp, and the value of this should be based on the outfitters daily labour cost. Not the value of the Safari.

popcorn

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
It is the: "what's customary" that bothers most I talk to.

I will go out on a limb here and put out the guidelines taught to me by my mentor in first going to Africa who has been 20+ times.

PH tip:
10-14 day Safari: ~1X daily rate +/- based on opinion of experience.
21-30 day Safari: ~1 1/2X daily rate +/- based on opinion of experience.

Camp staff:
~$50/day stayed divided amongst all. +/-

Trackers:
10-14 day DG Safari: $100 dollar bill apiece +/-
21-30 day DG Safari: $200 apiece +/-

Game scout: highly variable depending on personality/attitude.
If acceptable...110-125% of tracker tip.

sofa

J. Lane Easter, DVM

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Lane,

Please explain the PH tip.

Are you suggesting 100-150% of his daily pay as a tip?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So if I understand correctly,

I pay $1500 per day for hunt, and then I will tip the PH $1500 as a base rate for the Safari,

What about a Tanzania safari where the Day rates are compounded by all the other taxes and fees, you get some Safaris that work out $2500 to $3000 per day.

The Staff and Tracker rates work for me,

JK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a good laugh last night;

I was reminded by my dearest wife about a conversation in SCI with a bunch of African Outfitters one night out at the bar,

Every time you turn around to wipe your ass, you have to tip someone.

Every door that’s opened, every drink that is ordered there is a palm waiting for a couple of $$.

This was the topic for a good few hours, and a good few tips because as the next round or meal was paid an 18% tip was expected.

Every Ph. and Outfitter was bitching and moaning as they were not refunded by the company for tips ,only there true expenses were refunded, this came out of their own pockets.

With the scenario reversed now, they should have at least tipped that cute blond at 100% more and been happy with it because she made sure that here clients were happy, well taken care of always had a full belly and a cold one in their hands after a hard day’s work,

sounds similar to the work done in camp by the staff.

I worked out that for the 5 days in Vegas I tipped a total of $552 that is almost R6000 in South Africa.

Double our minimum wages for a month’s work,

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
This topic is proving to be most interesting. Please allow me to sway a bit from the client tipping to the PH.

On my first Africa hunt, Zimbabbwe in 1994, my PH had to be replaced as the hunt before me was extended bit. A replacement was hired, a young man in his early 20s. Among the things I learned from my youthful and talkative pro was what tips were expected (this on the drive to camp from Harare) and that higher quality animals were saved for more expensive hunts thereby generating a higher tip. The example he gave me was if he knew a 43" buffalo was in a herd that came to drink at a specific waterhole daily he would take an elephant hunter after that buff and not a hunter on a buffalo and plains game safari. While both hunters will be appreciative, the elephant hunter will be able to tip more. Is this common?

It seems everything when one goes to Africa is designed to separate the client from his money. On my the hunt above I called my PH my "really must guide." I was after a few critters but each time we would see another species he would say, "You really must have one of these." The singers and dancers and porters on my Tanzania hunt and climb of Kilimanjaro treated clients like they were ATM machines. The hand came out, both during the climb and after. Six people wanted tips to carry two bags. Like Steve mentioned above , tips to light the lamps and another to put them out.

I understand low income African people wanting additional income but (to me) it takes from the experience to be "nickel and dimed" the entire trip. Tanzania was the worst country for tip begging, in my opinion. Some staff in northwest Zim (game scouts who rode along and did absolutely nothing) threw their tip to the gound as "not enough."

It is also interesting to see how PH and outfitters develop new methods to gain revenue. Tipping is only one. This morning a friend from South Africa send me a contact for a ranch he knows of for a plains game hunt. They charge 10$ for missed shots!

Personally, I'd rather pay more and have one bill to settle. That is why I don't like the European perspective of paying for horns by weight. I just want to hunt and make it as simple as possible.

And then are the outfitters and PHs who keep tip money (all or some) designated for the staff.

Cheers, mates.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
"On my first Africa hunt, Zimbabbwe in 1994, my PH had to be replaced as the hunt before me was extended bit. A replacement was hired, a young man in his early 20s. Among the things I learned from my youthful and talkative pro was what tips were expected (this on the drive to camp from Harare) and that higher quality animals were saved for more expensive hunts thereby generating a higher tip. The example he gave me was if he knew a 43" buffalo was in a herd that came to drink at a specific waterhole daily he would take an elephant hunter after that buff and not a hunter on a buffalo and plains game safari. While both hunters will be appreciative, the elephant hunter will be able to tip more. Is this common?"

I absolutely no doubt that this has happened on occasion, but doubt it is common. From the hunting aspect in free range there are many things beyond the control of the PH when it comes to wildlife movements, even if they wanted to.

I can tell you after 38 years as a big game guide that I have seen a lot of things over the years. Now remember I am speaking here as hiring out as a "guide" to an outfitter.

I worked for outfitters who always gave all of their European clients to their brand new guides because they don't tip. Guides who had worked for the outfitter for a long time and of course his family members, got the US clients and repeat clients that tipped well.

So the new guides not only got a crappy wage, they missed on most of the decent tipping. Sad but true. Others of course will think this is just fine, just capitalism at work. LOL

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
"On my first Africa hunt, Zimbabbwe in 1994, my PH had to be replaced as the hunt before me was extended bit. A replacement was hired, a young man in his early 20s. Among the things I learned from my youthful and talkative pro was what tips were expected (this on the drive to camp from Harare) and that higher quality animals were saved for more expensive hunts thereby generating a higher tip. The example he gave me was if he knew a 43" buffalo was in a herd that came to drink at a specific waterhole daily he would take an elephant hunter after that buff and not a hunter on a buffalo and plains game safari. While both hunters will be appreciative, the elephant hunter will be able to tip more. Is this common?"

I absolutely no doubt that this has happened on occasion, but doubt it is common. From the hunting aspect in free range there are many things beyond the control of the PH when it comes to wildlife movements, even if they wanted to.

I can tell you after 38 years as a big game guide that I have seen a lot of things over the years. Now remember I am speaking here as hiring out as a "guide" to an outfitter.

I worked for outfitters who always gave all of their European clients to their brand new guides because they don't tip. Guides who had worked for the outfitter for a long time and of course his family members, got the US clients and repeat clients that tipped well.

So the new guides not only got a crappy wage, they missed on most of the decent tipping. Sad but true. Others of course will think this is just fine, just capitalism at work. LOL

And so the customers expected to tip, and those known to tip well got more experienced guides. No guarantee, but more experience is generally a leading indicator of success.

And so we get back to MJine's and my comment that tipping well is in your self interests, and as Americans we are fortunate to come from a tipping society.

JPK

Free 500grains

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkhunter:
We should be looking at the tip from a different
perspective;

It should not be linked at all to the amount of money you are spending with the outfitter on either day rates or trophy fees,

I hunted Tanzania in March 2013 and there were another 2 clients in camp, we were all there for 10 days,

They were both hunting a buffalo and some common plains game species.

I was hunting a full masaai species package which was about 3 times the cost of their day rates,

We each had the same people looking after us in camp and we each had a vehicle, Ph., driver and 2 trackers.

At the end of the safari the outfitter presented us with the Tip book as well as suggested tips,

Because my Safari was valued higher than the other 2 clients, I was expected to Tip more than them.

JK

IMO, the tips to the personnel whose work load was unchanged the result of additional hunters in camp should be split among those in camp.

Those whose work load increased ought to be tipped in accordance. If they earned it of course.

JPK

Free 500grains