Notify
Tools

Stu Taylor incident on TV
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FROM CONSERVATION FORCE

Larry,

Until the last few days we were not aware there were any issues on AR and we are not aware of the current issues. We have forwarded approximately 52 thousand dollars to Stu's bank account and charged no fee whatsoever. The account does pay our bank wire transfer charges and credit card charges, i.e. the Fund for Stu bears those out-of-pocket expenses, but not our banking, accounting and labor costs. From the origin we have advertised the special Fund in the Hunting Report and separately in the World Conservation Force Bulletin and the Quarterly Report/periodic fundraiser.

We have asked Stu and his wife about his status and needs on several occasions and understand he is not ready to return to work but we have not policed it more than that. Our involvement began on October 16 at which time we transferred approximately $2,800 within one day, on October 17. Since that time we have made a series of transfers while sensitive to foreign transfer costs on our end, as well as his own bank charges, but in all cases upon request from Stu or his wife.

I hope this helps.

Best,
John

--
John J. Jackson, III
CONSERVATION FORCE
3240 S. I-10 Service Road W., Suite 200
Metairie, Louisiana 70001
Tel: (504) 837-1233
Fax: (504) 837-1145
jjw-no@att.net
www.conservationforce.org

On 9/18/2013 8:20 PM, Larry Shores wrote:
Good evening.

Would it be possible to publish a statement about how much money was raised for Stu Taylor? A lot of questions are being raised on Accurate Reloading. I think a statement may help raise more money for him.

I have given Stu money directly twice and purchased one if the hunts for his benefit.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Thank you for posting this here.

I am sure glad to hear that CONSERVATION FORCE is not charging anything for their service.

Very commendable indeed.

Like yourself, I have transferred money directly to Stu, as I wanted to avoid going through a third party, which worked just fine.

I think we should not let any negative thoughts regarding this stop us from helping a fellow hunter in need.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67042 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree Saeed. Stu needs financial & medical help. I urge everyone to contribute what they can.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Nice going Larry, John, and all that have contributed!

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Kudos to John Jackson and CF. Good man.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I see people who have the big picture in mind on page 8. I'm hoping we can all keep the big picture in mind. Thanks for the update Larry.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
FROM CONSERVATION FORCE

Larry,

Until the last few days we were not aware there were any issues on AR and we are not aware of the current issues. We have forwarded approximately 52 thousand dollars to Stu's bank account and charged no fee whatsoever. The account does pay our bank wire transfer charges and credit card charges, i.e. the Fund for Stu bears those out-of-pocket expenses, but not our banking, accounting and labor costs. From the origin we have advertised the special Fund in the Hunting Report and separately in the World Conservation Force Bulletin and the Quarterly Report/periodic fundraiser.

We have asked Stu and his wife about his status and needs on several occasions and understand he is not ready to return to work but we have not policed it more than that. Our involvement began on October 16 at which time we transferred approximately $2,800 within one day, on October 17. Since that time we have made a series of transfers while sensitive to foreign transfer costs on our end, as well as his own bank charges, but in all cases upon request from Stu or his wife.

I hope this helps.

Best,
John

--
John J. Jackson, III
CONSERVATION FORCE
3240 S. I-10 Service Road W., Suite 200
Metairie, Louisiana 70001
Tel: (504) 837-1233
Fax: (504) 837-1145
jjw-no@att.net
www.conservationforce.org

On 9/18/2013 8:20 PM, Larry Shores wrote:
Good evening.

Would it be possible to publish a statement about how much money was raised for Stu Taylor? A lot of questions are being raised on Accurate Reloading. I think a statement may help raise more money for him.

I have given Stu money directly twice and purchased one if the hunts for his benefit.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

tu2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36649 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
I see people who have the big picture in mind on page 8. I'm hoping we can all keep the big picture in mind. Thanks for the update Larry.

Brett

Are you a "Big Picture" kind of guy Brett?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's concentrate on getting Stu more money. He needs it from what I am told.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's concentrate on getting Stu more money. He needs it from what I am told.

Larry incoming PM tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Larry for all of your help with this!

Donation has been made!

Shane

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work Larry, and hats off to John. Now we are getting some helpful input. Does not mean we are done with relief efforts, just have a clearer picture.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Hi Larry,

First.
Respect to you and the team for your work on this issue.

Second.
Have you considered effectively gearing "the fund" by using the capital to purchase insurance cover for those PHs willing to co-fund the premiums on a heavily subsidised basis?

I am, of course, not attempting to tell you how to do things and have not thought this through in any great depth but this approach may be more systemically productive than raising and storing donations in order to make direct payment to distressed PHs on event-driven draw downs.

As I say, I have not thought this through but anything that effectively gives more reach and positive outcome on the back of every penny raised might be worth considering.

Best wishes,
Milo.

quote:
Originally posted by BigBBear:
I have seen enough mention and noise here that a couple of things need to be said regarding our new 501.c.3 just so there is no confusion and you have confidence that something is coming. This is of course not the way we wanted to do a roll out but it seemed something was needed here.
As has been mentioned we are in the process of forming an organization to deal with injured PH’s. We are not ready to roll out yet due to a couple of items. I am not sure how many different posts this is being referred to but this one seems to have the most attention and I will not search out the other references so this is it.
First, final IRS approval is not in our hands and until then we cannot directly operate the organization under nonprofit status. There are things we can do however and we are working to get those items moving within IRS guidelines.
Second, I do not want to discuss names here (our org) as although we have domain names secured we want to announce the org when we have the website finalized. It will be a few more weeks and we can then do that.
A little history in that many of you will remember when John Greeff was attacked by a leopard in 2010 and I organized (with huge help from many of you) a fund raising effort. This was of course successful and I was asked to become part of the Something More Safaris (SMS) board to do more of the fundraising. Sometime later, Paul Reed then also joined the board and began to help me with fundraising and organizing around helping PH's. We then ran into complications with the mission of SMS and what we felt we needed to do so Paul and I began organizing a new 501.c.3 organization with the knowledge and concurrence of SMS. All of the paperwork and associated actions have been completed and submitted to the IRS for the new organization.
As Larry Shores said, bureaucracy is a pain in the ass but it is the way to get it done and we are in process of that. We then formed a board and asked Larry Shores to be our 3rd board member which he has agreed to do and also his accounting firm will validate our financial statements and tax returns so that all is clean and clear. I only mention these things so you can see we all had a foundation in fundraising for injured PH's with Paul and I on the former board and Larry of course being very instrumental in the support we gave to John Greeff. We all deeply cared and thus, this is what got us together.
At this point, we are trying to define how to function and do business as a "for profit" until we get our approval but we do not want to jeopardize our long term goals and mission by doing something in haste. Painful yes, because we could do things but this is our direction for the next few weeks. As soon as we have the opportuntiy Stu will certainly be one of our firt intentions to help.
FYI, a lot of regulars have been involved in some level of coaching and advising us on getting this established. We will have a "real" announcement for you hopefully in October with plans to have some face to face with key people at DSC and SCI. Notables on here other than the board members that are somewhat aware of our plans are Saeed, Dave Fulson, Buzz Charlton, Myles, Frik Muller, Ivan Carter, Martin Peters. We ask that you please be patient and I equally encourage you to do as Larry Shores said and that is to help in any way possible via direct contributions, Conservation Force, etc. We may have a way soon to help facilitate funding but that is unclear at this time.
Thanks and I only wrote this at this time to clear up references and let you know a tool and resource was coming. Saeed has agreed to allow us to use AR as an announcement platform which we will do. I apologize but I am not as profilic on AR as I have been and if you want to make sure you talk to me, Paul, or Larry, you can of course post which they may see you are welcome to PM me.
Thanks for reading,
Larry

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Milo;

While something like you discussed is certainly a worthwhile idea, it is not what I had in mind. I had in mind helping those that were hurt already. Further, I have my doubts if the IRS would grant tax exempt status for an organization that subsidizes private insurance.

Insurance for PH's in multiple countries is a FAR more complex matter than would appear on the surface. Arranging insurance, if at all possible, and the subsidy of the insurance for an entire industry would likely end up being a full time job for more than one person. Frankly, I do not have the time.

When it comes to insurance, I think a far more workable solution is to have the professional hunters association in each of the respective countries find a policy that is LEGAL in that country. After finding the policy & the pricing, add a surcharge to every safari to pay for this insurance.

Of course, insurance is only good if they pay the claims. I understand that Stu's policy did not pay. No idea why.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Milo;

While something like you discussed is certainly a worthwhile idea, it is not what I had in mind. I had in mind helping those that were hurt already. Further, I have my doubts if the IRS would grant tax exempt status for an organization that subsidizes private insurance.

Insurance for PH's in multiple countries is a FAR more complex matter than would appear on the surface. Arranging insurance, if at all possible, and the subsidy of the insurance for an entire industry would likely end up being a full time job for more than one person. Frankly, I do not have the time.

When it comes to insurance, I think a far more workable solution is to have the professional hunters association in each of the respective countries find a policy that is LEGAL in that country. After finding the policy & the pricing, add a surcharge to every safari to pay for this insurance.

Of course, insurance is only good if they pay the claims. I understand that Stu's policy did not pay. No idea why.

Larry is correct. While conceptually insurance would give more bang for the buck, realistically it would be a red tape nightmare that would yeild only frustration and no results. It would be impossible to implement.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Hi Larry,

Understood. Thanks.

Best wishes,
Milo.

quote:
Milo;

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Milo, I think you were asking me but as we are two Larrys (I am the better looking one Smiler) I will also take a shot at your questions although I am in agreement with Larry Shores answer. Our new organization is of course in its infancy and we have a lot of processes to define but in general:

Insurance is only some actuarial calculation by someone with funds and it is simply a gamble that the costs paid out are smaller than the premiums + admin charged. It appears that it would be extremely difficult to get a legitimate insurance enterprise to insure PH's. I think the idea of medical/other policies in the country or region are good ideas.

Our mission is not to tell a PH how to manage his affairs, business, and risks as they need to conisder all of these things as part of their career choice. Not meaning to sound harsh with that, but many of us that have hunted Africa through the years have come to see many of these guys as family. Our intention is to have a living fund that we can be able to step in when that worst of worst things happen and they really get messed up. Insurance even cannot not cover all the things that are needed. Sadly, and I am not sure why the cases of bad happenings seems to have increased in the last 5 years.

I will close with the emphasis in that we do not want our new org efforts to distract anyone from helping either Stu or any other injured Safari Professional. We will start a new thread as promised in October to announce names, structure, status, etc. but in the meantime, DO NOT WAIT ON THIS TO HELP STU. From what I hear help is needed immediately.

Thanks again for the idea and for reading,

Larry Burgin

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Larry B, but not on who is better looking. LOL! Stu need help NOW. Please help him in any way possible.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
I understand that Stu's policy did not pay. No idea why.

Larry,

I have no way of knowing if this is true or not, but from what I understand, his policy did not pay out because he was insured in Zim, but hunting in Moz at the time. The insurance company weaseled out on that technicality. Again, just what I heard. Don't know the level of validity to this statement.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
I understand that Stu's policy did not pay. No idea why.

Larry,

I have no way of knowing if this is true or not, but from what I understand, his policy did not pay out because he was insured in Zim, but hunting in Moz at the time. The insurance company weaseled out on that technicality. Again, just what I heard. Don't know the level of validity to this statement.

That is a really good reason why EVERYONE should know what the terms of their policies are.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd, I almost always agree with you when you join a topic, but I have to disagree with you on the insurance weaseling out comment.
Insurance companies make exceptions for all kinds of reasons like sky diving or other dangerous activities. In this case there was a "where" in the policy.
Like Larry said, that is a good reason why everyone should know what the terms of their policies are.
This whole thing sucks.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago when I was shopping around for life insurance, most companies would not cover me if I were killed in Zimbabwe where I like to hunt. My agent had to look around to find a company that would pay off no matter where I might die. You have to ask questions and be sure of the details.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something just triggered a thought. Remember the Punki incident where Brittany Boddington shot a tracker? As I recall, Punki's employer's insurance would not pay because he had a policy for the RSA and Punki was shot in Namibia.

There should be a lesson learned here.