New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stu Taylor incident on TV
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Our local cable description says that The Zone show tonight will be about the Stu Taylor incident.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
starting in 5 min
Something to learn for all of us hunters from someone else's mistake.
And I think lots of us were close to accidents like these or very similar in our lifetime.
Kudos to Tim and The Zone to put it on prime time and show us what can happen and does happen handling guns under different conditions.
Thanks Tim for having balls to show this.
You are Da Man.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is The Zone and what channel is it on?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
starting in 5 min
And I think lots of us were close to accidents like these or very similar in our lifetime.
Kudos to Tim and The Zone to put it on prime time and show us what can happen and does happen handling guns under different conditions.
You are Da Man.

I'm curious as to ya'lls thoughts on this accident. The host seemed a little hesitant to admit any wrong doing in this case. He was obviously remorseful but kept refering to the whole thing as an accident that is part of buffalo hunting. I have never been in a dangerous game situation so I am very hesitant to draw any conclusions. Did he do anything wrong or is what happened just part of hunting dangerous game? For the record, I am really asking this honestly. I am not trying to stir the pot or pass judgement on a situation I have no first hand knowledge of.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I just finished watching it and I want to thank Tim and Stu for airing the incident as it happened. It is brutal to watch. I could not imagine how brutal the experience was on everyone involved. I called my 17 year old son in because there is a lesson there for all of us, especially young hunters. The sight of Stu staggering to the truck with the bullet hole through his shoulder streaming blood is burned in both of our memories. You can bet gun safety will be foremost in our minds on our future hunts!

I wish Stu a full recovery and once again, thank Tim for airing it. He didn't cover anything up, just the opposite, he made it as public and as raw as it can get. No doubt some on AR will start the name-calling bullshit again, but how many of us would have the courage to air that episode knowing full well he will become a lightning rod regarding the accident. Tim I admire you for that.

And for Stu, it reminded me his fight continues and it is time for me to drop another check in the mail to help a good guy out.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I know Tim personally. These things are absolutely an accident from my way of looking at it. Hunted buffs and elephants and got charged one each.
It's crazy how fast they can move and you have to be ready and when you are ready to shoot you can trip. Such a jungle out there plus every good PH will try to get in between client and DG to protect you. Those guys are amazing and they readily put their lives on line for you, no questions asked.
In nutshell it happens so fast, nothing prepares you for it.
absolutely unfortunate accident and PH lived to tell the story.
Tim is such a great guy and just the fact he and the company put it on TV speaks for itself as him being class act.
Last year in Zim, neighbor PH got shot by client as the client was putting gun in rack in the truck.
Again, very unfortunate, but handling guns, accidents happen and lots of factors weigh in.
DG hunts are such a rush and can be so exciting, that simply put there should be a lot more accidents and there are not and that tells me, majority of hunters are very safety conscious even in stressful situations.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Tim is a stand up guy and a class act all the way. I'd hunt DG with him in a heartbeat.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
quote:
starting in 5 min
You are Da Man.

I'm curious as to ya'lls thoughts on this accident. The host seemed a little hesitant to admit any wrong doing in this case. He was obviously remorseful but kept refering to the whole thing as an accident that is part of buffalo hunting. I have never been in a dangerous game situation so I am very hesitant to draw any conclusions. Did he do anything wrong or is what happened just part of hunting dangerous game? For the record, I am really asking this honestly. I am not trying to stir the pot or pass judgement on a situation I have no first hand knowledge of.

Perry

Perry,

I have heard of this accident, but, sadly unable to see it because I am not in the US.

But, trying to answer your question regarding hunting dangerous game and what might happen.

I have been hunting dangerous game for over 30 years, and relate that this was nothing but an unavoidable accident.

Unavoidable in the sense that one has to have a loaded rifle in his hands, and in any sort of close range charge situation, accident can happen, regardless of how careful one is.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67041 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
I just finished watching it and I want to thank Tim and Stu for airing the incident as it happened. It is brutal to watch. I could not imagine how brutal the experience was on everyone involved. I called my 17 year old son in because there is a lesson there for all of us, especially young hunters. The sight of Stu staggering to the truck with the bullet hole through his shoulder streaming blood is burned in both of our memories. You can bet gun safety will be foremost in our minds on our future hunts!

I wish Stu a full recovery and once again, thank Tim for airing it. He didn't cover anything up, just the opposite, he made it as public and as raw as it can get. No doubt some on AR will start the name-calling bullshit again, but how many of us would have the courage to air that episode knowing full well he will become a lightning rod regarding the accident. Tim I admire you for that.

And for Stu, it reminded me his fight continues and it is time for me to drop another check in the mail to help a good guy out.

I took my 15 year old to RSA this past summer and I must say I was proud of how he handled himself and his rifle.

My 10 year old just passed his Hunter Ed course this past weekend. And I'm also proud how my little guy handles himself and his rifle.

And I just finished watching the show on DVR. They'll both be watching this show this weekend.

Not to make in anyway light of the situation, but what do you call a guy quietly sitting on a log with a .500" hole bored through his shoulder just moments before, smoking a cigarette.....one tough man!

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed's post is instructive. In the US there are very few accidents. In the US we are almost programmed to find fault and run to a lawyer the first chance we get. In the rest of the world it's a horrible accident, period.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
What cable channel is the "zone" on. I would like to see this show.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frostbit,
It's on the Sportsmans channel and airs again at 2100 hrs, in 5 min. It will be on again Friday at 0700 hrs.

Posts: 55 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 28 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LegioX:
Frostbit,
It's on the Sportsmans channel and airs again at 2100 hrs, in 5 min. It will be on again Friday at 0700 hrs.

Thanks!!

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I caught up with stu a week ago. He seems fit with all the gym and Physio work BUT he is still having trouble lifting his arm high and still requires pain killers daily. Sadly with his disability he can not work his trade this season but is very keen to get back to it next season. Its been a hard twelve months for the guy and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
Coincidently I'm one of the guys lifting him up on the film.

Also he again expresses his thanks to all the kind words and donation which have helped immensely.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
say Hi to him Ozhunter.
It could have been any one of us that ever hunted DG, so we all feel for him and wish him fast track back to his beloved job as PH
One hell of a tough Dude he is.

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Sportsman Channel again Friday at 10 a.m. (our area = ch. 131).

Posts: 4859 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Any of us who have hunted and shot guns our whole lives can probably reach back into our memory and recall an incident that could have easily turned into a disaster, but, for some reason, it didn't. I know I can think of one that still scares the daylights out of me. Sometimes no matter how careful we are, shit still happens.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen

Thanks for the insight. I wish Stu a full recovery. As it sounds, this was an unavoidable accident. I really feel for Tim. I know I couldn't go a day without being sick at myself. I hope he works through it completely.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course he did something wrong! The army and osha teaches that accidents are preventable and that is correct. That being said they are called accidents for a reason

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
quote:
starting in 5 min
You are Da Man.

Perry

Perry,

I have heard of this accident, but, sadly unable to see it because I am not in the US.

But, trying to answer your question regarding hunting dangerous game and what might happen.

I have been hunting dangerous game for over 30 years, and relate that this was nothing but an unavoidable accident.

Unavoidable in the sense that one has to have a loaded rifle in his hands, and in any sort of close range charge situation, accident can happen, regardless of how careful one is.

+1

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Just a little side note,
When i was at SSG last year i told nixon about this. Nixon says, what a terrible accident. I watch every client to see how they handle a rifle. Tim is one of the safest people i have ever seen.
Goes to show you it can happen to anyone.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have not seen it, but agree that it took some guts to air it and suffer feedback from Monday morning quarterbacks. Thankfully not many of those are on AR so far. Maulings, gun accidents, acts of GOD, snakebite and the list goes on can happen to any of us every day we unzip the tent on safari. This goes a long was, as Russell said so well, to make us all more aware and careful in the field. My very best to Stu on his recovery.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw it last night. It made me cringe to see Stu. My girlfriend is a surgeon. She watched it with me. Her eyes got very wide. She says that Stu was extremely lucky to be hit exactly where he was hit. It wouldn't have taken much change in point of impact to be fatal.

He was damn lucky. Had it been a soft or a couple of inches different the result would have been far worse.

In my old age, I think about things differently. I think about the chain of events that had to take place at precisely the same time for this to happen. For example, what if Tim (or Stu) were standing a few inches away from where they were? What if Tim was holding his rifle at say a 5 degree different angle? What is the buff made his move 1 second earlier or later? When one thinks about all of these factors that had to be so precise for this unfortunate event to occur, it is amazing.

I agree, it took a lot of courage to air this show. I am glad they did.

If nothing else, this serves as a reminder of how careful we all need to be.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
Any of us who have hunted and shot guns our whole lives can probably reach back into our memory and recall an incident that could have easily turned into a disaster, but, for some reason, it didn't. I know I can think of one that still scares the daylights out of me. Sometimes no matter how careful we are, shit still happens.

Well said

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Now that sounds like a good one to make Mrs.Shores....a surgeon who watches hunting shows.

Is she a blond?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank:

Actually, she is!

One of Us
Picture of Venture South
posted Hide Post
quote:
He was damn lucky. Had it been a soft or a couple of inches different the result would have been far worse

I am going to insist on clients carrying solids from now on jumping

Specialist Outfitters and Big Game Hounds

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Winston Churchill

Posts: 779 | Location: Namibia Caprivi Strip | Registered: 13 November 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Frank:

Actually, she is!

If she anything close to the last 2 I saw you with...dam!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Very tragic. I was able to watch the show this morning. I agree with the other posters, Stu was incredibly lucky the shot was not a couple of inches further to the right and that it was solid. A painful episode to watch but an excellent reminder to each of us that all hunting involves risks and of the importance of firearm safety. In that regard, I will remember this episode far longer than I will ever remember virtually any of the more "standard" hunting show fare. That being the case, at least some good comes out of an otherwise absolutely horrible situation.

Mike

Posts: 21242 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Would love to see it, but unfortunately I only receive the Outdoor Channel. thumbdown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It took an awful lot of courage to air this tragedy. Kudos to Tim for having the balls to do it.
I remember when he reported it that he said they were planning to air it.
I pray that both Stu & Tim make a full recovery.
By the way, I had a pistol go off & shoot me through the right leg & nobody was touching it.
Accidents do happen.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe this show to be the most important TV "hunting" show to ever air! An accident could happen to any one of us and to think otherwise is dangerous.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
That's exactly why I would like to see it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just watched it again. It is sobering to say the least.

It is awfully easy to fall in that thick stuff. Horrible accident. I feel for both of them.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

He was damn lucky. Had it been a soft or a couple of inches different the result would have been far worse.

Absolutely

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
I would guess that Tim is following this discussion so; Tim is it possible that those of us that can not see the show could see a video?

Good Hunting

Carl Frederik

Posts: 489 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

Well! I just watched the show. I kind of othought I was pretty crusty but I have to say I was effected by the show. What a fuckin' nightmare for all involved.

A great show in my opinion and it really does bring to everyone's attention that things can go to shit for any of us anytime.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12877 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just saw the show. Tim, I applaud you for telling the story in such a graphic and honest way. As a fellow African hunter, TV producer, and friend, I believe you made everyone of us more aware of the tragic possibilities we face hunting truly dangerous game. We have carried out a dear friends body out in a blanket from a buffalo hunt gone horribly wrong, so I understood the look of pure pain on your face during the ordeal and the re-telling. A sobering lesson indeed, and a reminder for all of us to be thinking about whenever a firearm is in our hands. A true'BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD GO EVERYONE OF US" who play this game. Thank you for the courage it took to air that Tim. My hats off.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's not forget that Stu needs help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you do anything long enough, the odds are the odds will catch up with you. PH’s know that sooner or later something is going to bite or gore or otherwise get you. You hope it’s not your client, but it does happen. There are more than a few trackers and PHs have been shot through the years and some with tragic consequences.

There are a lot of dumb client stories out there, but this is not one of them. I feel for both Tim and Stu.

A cringe worthy story.

As an aside, I know far more hunters that have been shot while duck, pheasant, dove, turkey, and deer hunting than I know African PHs being shot by their client. I've been on more frightening dove hunts than buff hunts and I have shot a lot of buff through the years.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote