Notify
Tools

An Open Letter from Mark Sullivan
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
shot 29 bulls in 30 years, and 26 of them scoring over 350" B&C!

DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!!!!!

Oh sorry, but thats my Bullshit alarm in full song going off just now.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3523 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DTala:

Holy Crap thats FUNNY!!!!

I just sprayed milk out of my nose all over my keyboard!!

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3523 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By ISS

He does personify the cowardly anonymity of the internet, wouldn't you say?

Answer: No more than this anonymous member who has left out his address, phone number, and e-mail address.

Date Registered: 19 December 2005
Karma Title: one of us
Interests: Big bore rifles
Send Private Message to Idaho Sharpshooter
View Forum Posts by Idaho Sharpshooter

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Around here (SEMO) most would say "prove it"!

Never make a statement or a claim you can't back up with proof.

Yes.....you are a damn liar

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Ted,

mighty deer slayer, are you up to calling me a liar?

Rich

It was a compliment Rich....you have a gift. (improv)

As far as a mighty deer slayer...You got me all blushed, awww shucks nobody ever said anything to me like that, thank you.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is one way for ISS to prove it to me at least. Every Elk hunter keeps the Ivory. Lets see a pile of Ivory and I'll stand corrected.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
quote:
He does personify the cowardly anonymity of the internet, wouldn't you say?

Rich:

How do you figure? Ted is one of the few folks on AR that posts using his full name, unlike yourself. Rather than Ted, it seems like you are the one that cloaks himself in the very anonymity you believe is cowardly.

By the way, do you notice a consensus building here? Maybe you should give the keyboard a break for a week or four.

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
How does this all relate to Mark Sullivan?
It is amazing how the bullshit flows--but it is amusing.
I'm disappointed how this forum degenerates. Maybe it's time to go back to NE.com.
(Maybe I'm just a bit cranky from shooting my .600 too much this weekend.)
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
Cal is right. The reason I wrote my open letter to Mr. Sullivan was to encourage a dialogue between him and the members of this forum. He was kind enough to reply and has indicated a preparedness to re-post upon his return from safari later this month.

The petty feuding that Mr. Sullivan's reply has spawned is hardly an inticement for his continued participation. Like him or not, he is a major figure in our industry, and AR is both more interesting and stronger with his active participation.

Perhaps these side disputes might be taken to their own posts - or a school yard - instead of having them hijack the intent of the original poster.

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys are both correct, It's just when ISS goes off it's hard to stop. Big Grin

Cal, Hope your well,
Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:
You guys are both correct, It's just when ISS goes off it's hard to stop. Big Grin

Cal, Hope your well,
Steve

Understood. That's why I'm asking Rich to show some economy in his posting - at least on this thread. Mr. Sullivan appears to bring out the worst in him.

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe we should let this thread decide how it is going to die?

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
aw, come on guys- we all know ISS is the greatest slayer of elk and VC/NVA since man invented the rifle. his record speaks for itself( at least he says it does). and never mind the thinly veiled death threats that come from disagreeing with him( i still have those saved in my in-box). they were just a joke. ask the others who received them.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13391 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
So, if I posted pictures; will you then claim that they do not all look like they will score at least 350? Or will it be that I did not keep the racks with my tags on them? Or that I need to post closeups so you can make sure my name and the year are readable? I sell them to a gentleman who comes thru the valley every late fall and buys them for several dollars a pound. There's no pleasing a few of you. Save it for Reno, we can chat then and there.

This is like me asking one of you if you have any nude pictures of your wife. Then asking you if you want to buy some.

Pictures, heck I don't even have any pictures of my ex-wife.

I will confess, that I finally put someone on ignore. Even Busheler was unable to elicit that response. But, AN did. I think he averaged four PMs a day to me for the last month.

Rich

First off Rich, we know you don't have the pictures, cause it never, ever happened. Secondly, if I sent you 4 PM's a day for the past month that would be roughly 120 PM's, correct? Well please feel free to post just 12 PM's to you, from me in the past month. That's only 10% of your claim, but we both know that won't happen either, cause I did no such thing. Honestly Rich, do you ever tell the truth?

jumping Big Grin hammering

Aaaaah never a boring day on AR

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
Maybe we should let this thread decide how it is going to die?

No, ISS is going to decide how everyone who posted on this thread is going to die.

Chuck Norris has a picture of ISS that he looks at every day just to remind him that even Chuck Norris is mortal.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
I see that Mr. Sullivan claimed that "There are two kinds of buffalo; those that run and those that charge."
"Ninety-five percent of all wounded buffalo fall into the first category. Those that run will never charge." That leave 5% who fall into the “charger” category I calculate. I also take from reading in Context that Mr. Sullivan means “wounded” buffalo in the above statistical analysis.

Saeed: you say "Having shot quite a few buffalo, my experience has been the exact opposite of what Mark claims."

Please explain. By the way; I have never seen a Sullivan video or hunted Cape Buffalo so I have no platform other than reading comprehension to stand on.

best regards,
dmw

OK, I've got to respond!

I've defended MS a bunch of times in posts on this and other forums. But now that the man himself is here and posting, anything Mark Sullivan says is now fair game to comment on and criticize. I'll still defend certain things but call BULLSHIT on others.

Fury You need to watch some of the videos to make an objective comment.

FWIW, I have seen a bunch of Mark's movies; I admit I own a bunch of them. I enjoy them, but I also can see through the BS.
MS is a brilliant salesman and markets these movies for profit. Plain and simple.
When you watch these, put your brain on the shelf and watch them for what is there. But don't expect this is normal safari hunting behavior in any way.

I know of guys that have hunted with MS and had nothing bad to say about the experience.

BTW, I'm not buying the BS that buffalo that run off won't charge! Not for a second! Watch "Death at My Feet"
The signature sequence in that movie, involves a buffalo that is shot, runs off, is pursued to where they find it hiding in the long grass.
MS and his client approach, MS does his, "Now the buffalo is going to chose how he is to die..." thing, then the buff' tosses his head and comes. Of course it is killed in spectacular fashion and dies right at their feet. But that buffalo absolutely ran off after absorbing the first volley of shots!

I admire the balls that MS displays, I respect his shooting ability.
But I think it's absolutely daft to do what he does, no matter how he explains it or justifies it. Why? Because he is risking the life of clients, camermen every time he pulls that off.

Would I hunt with Mark? Oh hell... yeah, probably, I dunno... maybe...
First I'd hafta drink a beer with him, tell him he's wrong, argue with him etc...
see if we understood each other and take it from there.

Godspeed Mark and hope that .600 never misfires on ya'.

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you plan on sending me a Birthday Card?

99% of the members here do not list personal information. You only do because you are running your internet business here and want us to spend money with you.

I will be at Reno, save your breath for there.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
aw, come on guys- we all know ISS is the greatest slayer of elk and VC/NVA since man invented the rifle. his record speaks for itself( at least he says it does). and never mind the thinly veiled death threats that come from disagreeing with him( i still have those saved in my in-box). they were just a joke. ask the others who received them.

Hey Mate,
I and many others would love to read the "death threats", just for a giggle.

Did the great hairy buffoon tell you how you were going to die, or was he keeping that a surprise. animal

Ignore the idiot, he thrives on attention.

Reality is not in his vocabulary, beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not siding with ISS or anyone else, but I have had a couple dozen sets of elk ivory from the bulls I have taken and only kept one set--from the very first bull I took with a bow many, many years ago. I would have to do a extensive search around the homestead to find those two I imagine. Having a pile of ivory elk teeth really never turned me on I guess. Gave most of them to friends and others who were wanting to make rings and other jewlery. And being somewhat of a capitalist I sold some of them.

Glad this MS thread keeps rolling along, no matter what detours it takes!!

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
There is one way for ISS to prove it to me at least. Every Elk hunter keeps the Ivory. Lets see a pile of Ivory and I'll stand corrected.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend here asked me to let this go and get the focus back on MS.

I am going to do so.

One last thing, between us the word is "Abide".

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This whole thread started when I was in the Himilayas so I have not read every post. (If this was a mountain climbing forum ISS would probably claim to have climbed any number of 8K meter peaks.)

ISS, if you shot 29 bulls over 350 you could become wealthy telling us exactly how you did it.

As for keeping the ivory, I don't keep mine either. However, I do keep all of the antlers. To say you sold these racks and don't have a single one is so much BS.

Let's put it this way ISS: you don't have a single guy on this site who thinks you have done this. And not to have even a single photo of an elk or even the rack? Come on, you posted pictures of your African trips (funny how that word "trips" becomes plurals whether you have gone twice or twenty times) so why no elk?

And please, spare me the PMs calling me a wannabe, etc.

I have to say telling Aaron you shot 28 350 plus bulls has got to be the biggest piece of BS in the history of hunting on the internet. Does anyone have one better than this one?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
I once shot a pea green elephant.

72&68.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
I once shot a pea green elephant.

72&68.

Amir buddy, i think i told you to stay away from the absinth, it can really play some nasty tricks on you.

cheers

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Not siding with ISS or anyone else, but I have had a couple dozen sets of elk ivory from the bulls I have taken and only kept one set--from the very first bull I took with a bow many, many years ago. I would have to do a extensive search around the homestead to find those two I imagine. Having a pile of ivory elk teeth really never turned me on I guess. Gave most of them to friends and others who were wanting to make rings and other jewlery. And being somewhat of a capitalist I sold some of them.

Glad this MS thread keeps rolling along, no matter what detours it takes!!

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:

I suppose everybody keeps different momento's, I keep osiks (sp?) elk ivory and cat floating bones.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have one set of antlers and maybe one set of ivory from the dozen or so bull elk that I have shot. I guess the memories are enough for me.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am going to do so.

Rich

Rich, true or false, is not mine to judge, but you must know that you can't sattisfy the folks here! You can't prove you did, and they can't prove you didn't, but one thing is clear, when you find youself in hole stop digging,
diggin and let them think what they want, because you will not change their minds, and it is evident they sure than hell ain't gonna change your's.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am going to do so.

Rich

You have a friend here?

Posts: 10359 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
I don't have one set of antlers and maybe one set of ivory from the dozen or so bull elk that I have shot. I guess the memories are enough for me.

465H&H

How many were 350?

In 2008 I shot the biggest elk to come out of Moose Creek (at the time) according to the guy who does most of the flying. It might have been 350, but I don't think so. I never measured it. My taxidermist was impressed.

I never met a guy yet who cared enough about antler size to score them who then gave them away.

ISS: Didn't you say you were mounting the buffalo? How many mounts do you have today?

465: how many animals have you mounted?

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Frederick:
quote:

Hey Mate,

Did the great hairy buffoon tell you how you were going to die, or was he keeping that a surprise. animal

the phrase he used was squash me like a bug and never think twice about it. i guess he has big feet.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13391 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Gents:
How does this all relate to Mark Sullivan?
It is amazing how the bullshit flows--but it is amusing.
I'm disappointed how this forum degenerates. Maybe it's time to go back to NE.com.
(Maybe I'm just a bit cranky from shooting my .600 too much this weekend.)
Cal

Agreed. Just had brief look over this and the thread could do with a new title.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by John Frederick:
quote:

Hey Mate,

the phrase he used was squash me like a bug and never think twice about it. i guess he has big feet.

If big feet are synonymous with big mouth, you maybe right. Wink

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

A bit personal wouldn't you say?

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:
quote:

Shit that was funny.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:
quote:

Shit that was funny.

Okay, I am laughing too. The point is 465 may not care to "mount" anything he shoots - which would explain why he doesn't keep an elk antlers. But I think ISS has said he is "mounting" his stuff from Africa.

So let me get this straight...he shoots some stuff that in Africa is not very remarkable in terms of trophy quality, but spends the money to put it on the wall. But he shoots a shitload of HUGE bull elk and doesn't put a single one on the wall? Not even a picture?

Let's put it this way: you got no pic or trophy, all you have is bullshit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The story ISS has some truth to it but has been stretched a little over time. It was about 1982 near the town of Ellensburg, Washington during it's elk season an individual did shoot a horse thinking it was a cow elk. I was there when it happened. Here is the rest of the story. A hunter was riding a grey horse with floresent ribbons hanging from it. Another hunter, saw a movement another side of some brush about 75 yards away. He fired a shot with a 30/06 hitting the horse just in front of the riders leg. The horse and rider went down. The shooter ran up, thinking he shot an cow elk. Well things got pretty heated and the local game officer was called. Upon contacting the rider of the horse and getting statments from other hunters. He then contacted the shooter only to find out he did not have a cow tag but his daughter did and she was back home in school. The hunter was charged shooting live stock, hunting cow elk without a tag. The result was he was convicted in the local court on both charges. Fined $1500, 30 days suspended sentence and paid $2,000 for the loss of the horse and lost his hunting privilges for life. Now you can believe it not but this did happen.

Wecome to AR Mark, I hope you have successful season

Brooks

Posts: 179 | Location: Virginia, NE. USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We just kill Elk for the meat. Places I hunt are away from motorized traffic, so the Elk get big.

Thanks Brooks.

Rich
Abide...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And I have some real estate in Florida you may want to buy...

Do you think everyone here has "stupid" written across their forehead?

Posts: 265 | Location: Hammertown, USA | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
For reference, here is a photo I took from the internet of a 350 bull elk.

If you are hunting meat, you take a cow or spike. A bull of this quality does not come along very often.

I call bullshit.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a problem shooting a 350 bull 20+ years in a row if you can afford White Mountain. You can go to Africa for that!
That is the only place I know you can consistantly see Elk that size.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote