THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    45-70 bullets for elk, moose and grizz
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45-70 bullets for elk, moose and grizz Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hyak55171:
quote:
Originally posted by 4sixteen:
Like the idea and nostalgia of cast but experiences with less than stellar accuracy have led me to dismiss these for use in hunting rounds. Continued reliable results with jacketed and brass solids.

For example Hornady 45 caliber 500gr RN at 1600 fps impact speed punch clear through broadside on Moose. Wide wound channel. Plenty of shock at this higher impact speed. Prefer a fast handling rifle with quick repeat fire capability when hunting in big Bear territory - lever or bolt action.

Could a guy get more info on this load? Thinking thatd be fin with a 500gr woodleigh

Hyak55171,

4sixteen is very shy about publishing any of his load data.
It is well known that 1800 fps with the Hornady 500-grain DGX will go 1800 fps from a 22"-long 1:20" twist barrel with Ruger No.1 rifle,
but requires 2.925" COL.
Hornady shows IMR-4198 47.6 grains and IMR-3031 53.1 grains, both doing 1800 fps.

I guess for the Marlin the COL has to be limited to 2.550".
The flat meplat of the 500-grain DGX will help with keeping COL short.
An extra cannelure might not be very functional on the ogive of the nose, but it would not hurt a ShortCOL load.
I find this very interesting to consider with either H4198 or BENCHMARK,
with loads reduced enough to give 1600 fps.
4sixteen has proved it can be done,
with whatever powder charge and COL that he is not talking about.
He is quite the tease.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:
Originally posted by Hyak55171:
quote:
Originally posted by 4sixteen:
Like the idea and nostalgia of cast but experiences with less than stellar accuracy have led me to dismiss these for use in hunting rounds. Continued reliable results with jacketed and brass solids.

For example Hornady 45 caliber 500gr RN at 1600 fps impact speed punch clear through broadside on Moose. Wide wound channel. Plenty of shock at this higher impact speed. Prefer a fast handling rifle with quick repeat fire capability when hunting in big Bear territory - lever or bolt action.

Could a guy get more info on this load? Thinking thatd be fin with a 500gr woodleigh

Hyak55171,

4sixteen is very shy about publishing any of his load data.
It is well known that 1800 fps with the Hornady 500-grain DGX will go 1800 fps from a 22"-long 1:20" twist barrel with Ruger No.1 rifle,
but requires 2.925" COL.
Hornady shows IMR-4198 47.6 grains and IMR-3031 53.1 grains, both doing 1800 fps.

I guess for the Marlin the COL has to be limited to 2.550".
The flat meplat of the 500-grain DGX will help with keeping COL short.
An extra cannelure might not be very functional on the ogive of the nose, but it would not hurt a ShortCOL load.
I find this very interesting to consider with either H4198 or BENCHMARK,
with loads reduced enough to give 1600 fps.
4sixteen has proved it can be done,
with whatever powder charge and COL that he is not talking about.
He is quite the tease.
tu2
Rip ...

I suppose I'll have to experiment a bit with my 500gr woodleighs, take a bit off the tip to flatten the nose

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Hornady Handbook (1st or 2nd edition?) has load data for the 45-70 Winchester 1886 and 500gr Interlock. Could be adapted for developing safe loads for the Marlin. With my 24" barrel Marlin XLR I could safely get 1625 fps mv with the 500gr IL (discontinued).

With my 18.5" barrel Marlin GBL I safely get 1500 fps mv and acceptable accuracy with 500gr DGX.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hyak55171,

Yep, 4sixteen is like a lawyer when it comes to revealing load data.

You got me interested in that load, I will run a QuickLOAD for what it is worth.

But first, since sharpsguy has got me interested in his all purpose bullet,
I have coaxed him into having his wife message some pictures to me:

I might have exceeded the flood limit on posting pics, more to come ... groups on steel and some game animals bagged well by Bagwell.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Home on the range:

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
^^
Very fine shooting!

And nice trophy Jackalope.

Great fun to lob heavy bullets down range accurately -

45-70 Ruger No.1 group

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The wife's a decent shot. In 2006 she won the ladies NRA Mid-range National Championship at Raton with her 40-65.That is a 200, 300, and 600 yard aggregate score. In 2007 she won the ladies NRA Long Range National Championship which is an aggregate of 800, 900, and 1000 yards. In the process, she set a ladies national record that stood for a couple of years, but it has since been broken.

I got that jackalope when I lived in Louisiana. There are a couple of good stories that go with it, and I have had a bit of fun with the little critter.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sharpsguy does it only with iron sights, correct sun, and superhuman eyes.

I have more to add but am getting timed-out on the internet here.
Never seen this before.
Maybe too many Kentuckians on the internet?
I'll add more later.
Now let's see if this reply will "upload" ...

It worked, see more pics added to the two replies above, adding more as possible ...

Last two of sharpsguy for today:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hyak55171,

I have chosen to use the Hornady 500-gr DGX for this QuickLOAD.
It is a long one, 1.398", but already has a flat meplat for safety in a tubular magazine.
The Woodleigh 500-gr RN SN is only 1.305" long,
so if you put a flat nose on that, it will be a lot shorter than the DGX.
And you will be able to do more velocity and lower pressure with it than with the DGX.

In other words, the below data would err on the safe side if you substitute the Woodleigh for the Hornady, 500 grain bullets.

This assumes acceptance of 50,000 PSI as MAP.
OK for sure in a Ruger No.1, maybe a little hot for a Marlin M1895 lever action.
Sumbuddy who know should opine on 50,000 psi in a Marlin.

I trust this edition of QuickLOAD for the lots of AA-5744 and H4198 that I am using.
There may be better powders but I will not vouch for them.
I kind of like AA-5744 and H4198 for this application.
22" barrel data, assuming a Ruger No.1 barrel,
I do not think a 22" Marlin barrel would be significantly different.

If 22" barrel is shortened to 18":
With AA-5744: Subtract 46 fps MV
With H4198: Also subtract 46 fps MV
What a coincidence.

AA-5744:

H4198:

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Norma lists 45-70 data for 3 pressure levels: 29,000, 43,500 and 58,000 psi. Note 500gr bullet load data at 29,000 psi. Sources vary on the safe maximum pressure level for the Marlin.

29,000 psi: https://www.norma-ammunition.c...ta/45-70-Government/

43,500 psi: https://www.norma-ammunition.c...overnment-43500-psi/

58,000 psi: https://www.norma-ammunition.c...overnment-58000-psi/

Z299.4 lists 28,000 psi MAP for the 45-70. Assumed then typical 45-70 factory loads (Federal 300gr HP, whatever) are loaded to this level?

https://saami.org/wp-content/u...-14-Posting-Copy.pdf

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
If only Elmer would of had a smartphone maybe folks would have believed him. I commented to a friend the other day that most folks believe only up to the limits of their own abilities.
Thanks for sharing Sharpsguy!! Thanks to RIP for posting.
Btw. Jackalopes are very hard to kill. Can’t be done with only one shot.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank all of you for your input! This thread took a turn i hadnt expected with jacketed 500gr bullets. Maybe i should make a post asking about 800gr hard cast for my 500 nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good Sharps rifle is a remarkable instrument, and not everyone that has one knows how to shoot it. You also have to feed it the right ammunition. I spent years learning how the old buffalo hunters used their rifles and sights, and once I figured out how to eliminate uncalled flyers in the ammunition, it all got a lot easier.

I hear that cast bullets aren't accurate, and are unreliable on game a lot sometimes, and decided to let RIP post some pictures of some of the results I have had over the years. I wouldn't trade the results and memories I have had with cast bullets and a Sharps, and wanted to share a bit of my success and dispel a few doubts.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is some load data for a 500gr. Hornady Solid at 2.55” OAL.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...751083181#2751083181

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you think you need to go to that heavy a bullet for moose then a cast bullet like RCBS 45-500 FNGC is quite a useful mould to use. The crimp groove is in the right place for use in a Marlin 1895. Bullets drop closer to 520gr when cast from Lyman No.2.

Beartooth bullets used to publish loads for their heavy “Piledriver” cast pills doing around 1600 FPS.

RIP - the RCBS mould might also be a useful candidate for your 458 trials when powder coated and loaded long in a 458.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Wow! Whatever you are doing, write a book and sell it. I want an autographed copy. I’m inspired.

quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Home on the range:

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
35,000 cup 500gr FMJ factory load available, 1550 fps mv (22" barrel), apparently suitable for the 45-70 Marlin -

https://www.garrettcartridges.com/4570exitertech.html

18.5" barrel should be 1500 fps mv, what I get with my 500gr handload.

Another 500gr FMJ factory load at 1590 fps mv (18.5" barrel), apparently suitable for the 45-70 Marlin -

https://www.buffalobore.com/in...product_detail&p=154

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy reading that long range, iron sight shooting is still being done!! Beyond my ability, but you have my admiration!
Love the whitetail next to the door with all the mismatched horns too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it. RIP is the one who convinced me to post. That deer was taken on a friend's ranch in Bosque county in central Texas three or four years ago. Not a big bodied deer, but he was a ten point and clearly dominant. He had three tines broken off one side, and one off the other from fighting.

I shot him at 130 yards on a high shoulder shot with my 40-70 Sharps Straight and a 385 grain round nosed paper patched bullet, and he went straight down, right now. My friend was with me, and we were surprised, even a little shocked at how quickly he went down, and how loud the sound of the bullet strike was.

So far, that is the only animal I have taken with a 40 caliber, but I plan to use it and my 40-65 some this year. My friend in Oklahoma has used his 40-65 on deer to good effect and gives it good marks with a 400 grain flat nosed bullet. It's not a 45, but we'll see how it works.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got no pony in this race; I don't shoot or know much about black powder or cast bullets (although I will admit that I've always been in awe of the Sharps!) That being said, I look at the pictures of sharpsguy's gun room, trophies, and photos, and I think to myself that this is a man who's really enjoying his life. I'm impressed - hats off to you sir!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cdsx:
I've got no pony in this race; I don't shoot or know much about black powder or cast bullets (although I will admit that I've always been in awe of the Sharps!) That being said, I look at the pictures of sharpsguy's gun room, trophies, and photos, and I think to myself that this is a man who's really enjoying his life. I'm impressed - hats off to you sir!

AMEN !
Except for the part about no pony.
This thread is rich in material for the .458 Lott "Pity Party"
and inspiration for .458 WIN LongCOL loads. Big Grin
I hope to mimic sharpsguy's BPCR loads with the .458 WIN and the .45-100 2.6" Sharps Winchester Throated.
That is external and terminal ballistic mimicry, even if not spooky accurate like sharpsguy.
Remember, the .458 WIN LongCOL 3.6" can beat a SAAMI .458 Lott on the top end with jacketed bullets,
and perhaps can do sensible cast-bullet loads aplenty, sub-MOA.
I am not striving for sub-0.2 MOA like sharpsguy does.
Those rifles of sharpsguy are "special throated" I dare say.
Not as long as the .458 WIN but longer than the SAAMI .45-70 Govt.
Hey, the .458 WIN throat is excellent for paper-patched bullets.

Colt Commander: Thanks for the link with your load data for the 500-gr DGS 2.550" COL .45-70.

JFE: I have ordered that RCBS 45-500 FNGC mould. Thanks for pointing it out.
Lots of similarities to the Lyman 457121PH that sharpsguy works wonders with in BPCR.
I'll give that Lyman a go in the Pedersoli .457"-grooved barrels with BP and smokeless.
The RCBS will be cast hard and painted and sized to .461" for the .459"-grooved barrels and smokeless, as you say.

I will put a scope on my lead slingers and hope to someday shoot as well as sharpsguy's wife does with iron sights and cast bullets.
She has a good coach.
I am learning lots from him too.

sharpsguy: Any critique of the RCBS 45-500 FNGC for smokeless use would be appreciated.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharpsguy:
Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it. RIP is the one who convinced me to post. That deer was taken on a friend's ranch in Bosque county in central Texas three or four years ago. Not a big bodied deer, but he was a ten point and clearly dominant. He had three tines broken off one side, and one off the other from fighting.

I shot him at 130 yards on a high shoulder shot with my 40-70 Sharps Straight and a 385 grain round nosed paper patched bullet, and he went straight down, right now. My friend was with me, and we were surprised, even a little shocked at how quickly he went down, and how loud the sound of the bullet strike was.

So far, that is the only animal I have taken with a 40 caliber, but I plan to use it and my 40-65 some this year. My friend in Oklahoma has used his 40-65 on deer to good effect and gives it good marks with a 400 grain flat nosed bullet. It's not a 45, but we'll see how it works.

Yes, nine deer with the little 40 to date with nine complete pass throughs, from all conceivable angles from 6 yards to over 200.

RIP, Bagwells lovely Wife is quiet the cook too, I have spent no less than a dozen and a half weekends at his place over the years shooting, casting bullets, and paper patching them too for these Sharps rifles, then enjoying her cooking at meal time, what a treat.

Bagwell and I have both taken African game with Sharps rifles with cast lead bullets and black powder, with my 45-70 alone I've taken an old hard bossed dagga boy cape buffalo and zebra stallion, in my opinion there is no more satisfying way to hunt.

I have also witnessed some of Bagwells accuracy first hand, I was in his spotting scope when he fired a 2" three shot group with a 40-70 Sharps straight on his 500 yard ram, and another three shot group with one of his Sharps 45-70's on his 400 yard gong that measured an inch and a half, all with buckhorn barrel sights, black powder and either grease groove or paper patched bullets.

Quiet a sight to see and learn from, i'll be out at first light Sat morning after doe deer over in Arkansas with an original 150 year old Sharps rifle in 45-110, Bagwell gave me a paper patch mould made by Mos that throws a 513gr bullet at 35 to 1 alloy, it's the kind of big round nose paper patch bullet the Buffalo hunters used to work themselves out of a job.

If anyone ever has a question about the effectiveness of Sharps rifles, big chunks of lead powered by black powder, one only has to ask themselves where all the Buffalo went. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only regret I have had in my shooting life was not getting one of those Shiloh Sharps and in 45/120.

Yes, I knw the 45/120 is not the best choice as compared to the smaller 45s but it is high on desirability factor for me like the 378 Wby.

I always enjoyed shooting at long range with reduced loads in the 458 and 460 even into dams a long way out. Just something about shooting big 400 grain plus bullets at 12-1300 f/s over a long distance.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the longest shooting you have done with your sharps? Meaning, rocks or dirt clumps and such at 1,000 yds?, not just for group size.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
These rifles will throw a bullet a bit over 3700 yards. Your personal maximum range is limited by your skill to a great extent, but mostly by your eyesight. There is a group of guys in Wyoming that have a range set up where their targets are a mile--1760 yards away. They have special tang sights with additional elevation capabilities on their rifles that let them reach this distance. I have never shot there, but I know most of the guys, and they say it is great fun.

The ones that really get my attention are the guys that do it with barrel hunting sights. I have a friend in northern Illinois that went on a buffalo hunt in South Dakota. At the ranch there is a full sized steel buffalo silhouette hanging on chains. It is 1580 yards from the firing point to this steel buffalo--only 180 yards less than a full mile.

My friend posted a picture after he and his buddy took a few shots with their hunting Sharps with barrel ladder sights, and there were six or eight hits on the freshly painted target, and they were all in the front or heart/lung portion of the target. No gut shot, no hits in the butt.

When I got my friend on the phone, he said that after they figured out the wind and bullet drift due to precession, it was relatively easy to stay on the target. When I asked him about elevation, he said he had just over a half inch more available on his sight staff. Now THAT, my friends is impressive.

When you read accounts of the old buffalo hunters working at 900 to 1100 yards, you can't discount it out of hand.
You just have to figure out how they did it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

When you read accounts of the old buffalo hunters working at 900 to 1100 yards, you can't discount it out of hand.
You just have to figure out how they did it.

I have no doubt. I have used the 375 with 300 Hornady round nose to very long range on kangaroos and aslo the 458 with 400 grain Speer flat nose at 2000 f/s. Also 400 grain Speer flat nose at just over 1300 f/s with 28 grain of Ho Scor 700X in Mark V 460 and also 303 Jungle carbine with open sights. Used all of the above along aside a 270.

Talking about lots of shooting or high volume and what seems to happen with the low speed stuff is after a day you "seem to get onto them".

I know that will sound ridiculous but the low speed stuff seems to have some "feel" about them. No doubt in the very early part of the shooting trip the 270 is in front but by day 2 that starts to change.

We were not at 900 to 1100 yards but 500 to 700 yards for most shots and of course several shots much longer.

I have no idea about dear but with kangaroos, even the big Red roos, at very long range it does not matter where you hit them or what you hit them with but they don't generally go anywhere. It is like they are the dazed and even with the 174 grain 303 Maark VII FMJ ammo they won't hop off.

I reckon if you were shooting roos for a week or two (and big numbers) and one bloke had a 270 (or similar) and the other bloke had one of those Sharps and this is on real flat country, I reckon the tally the end of the week would be similar and maybe the bloke with the Sharps would be in front at the end of a week or two. On the fist day and especially the first half day the bloke ith the 270 would be in front.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry,

Good to hear that you have been so well educated by Mr. Bagwell and so well fed by Mrs. Bagwell.

Bill,

You must write a book about your shooting and hunting passion.
You have plenty to tell about accuracy and effective hunting loads.
BAGGING WELL by Bill "Sharps Guy" Bagwell.
OK, I am sure you can do better on the title.
Some celebrity "tell-all" tales should not be neglected.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP--Jerry has been an apt student and has turned into a very good friend. My wife and I both hold him in very high regard. I promise you don't want him shooting at you with a Sharps, or anything else, for that matter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, maybe the 500-grain Woodleigh with a flat meplat would be as good as a sharpsguy 480-grain cast lead bullet if you cooled it down to 40,000 PSI in an 18"-barreled Marlin 1895?

H322 like Colt Commander used seems to be one of the best picks for this.
I will also vouch for my lot of H322 as compared to this edition of QuickLOAD,
due to my experience with it in the .500/.338 Lapua Magnum Improved aka 12.7x68mm Magnum:

Take your pick of pressure level with H322 below,
except I do not know how close to reality the volumetric loading percentages are:

Above is for 22" barrel. Subtract 51 fps for 18" barrel.

H322 seems to be best choice for idiot-proofing.
QuickLOAD says that 105% load is less than 40,000 PSI using the 500-grain DGX.
Hard to screw up with that.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Speer 45-70 Marlin load data held to 28,000 cup maximum. Hornady and Barnes say 40,000 cup maximum.

Remington 405gr JSN recovered from Bull Moose. 1600 fps impact speed. Angle shot. Penetrated about 15" thru shoulder bone and spine. Penetration limited by wide expansion. Expect similar results with Speer 400gr JSN.

Hornady 500gr IL at about same impact speed go clear thru broadside on Moose. So should 400gr Barnes Busters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the trick with the low velocity stuff is you have do be doing it all the time.

For a year period in the 1970s I onlu used the 458 M70 and Mark V 460 and the vast majority of loads were reduced and very reduced., 1300 f/s stuff with 400 Speer. High volume shootibg and flat count as far as the eye could see. In that 2 years period the 458 and 460 were the only two rifles I owned.

I do think you get used to holding over and judgement. Use a 270 or 270/308 Norma, 300 Wby etc. then most of your shooting does not involve holding over.

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Ballistic reticles work. No guessing. My 45-70 Ruger No.1 - aimed with reticle 4th circle on this target at 220 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ballistic reticles DO work, no doubt about it. And they take the guesswork out of where to hold.

Looking at the recovered bullets from your moose--nice moose, by the way--I felt like I was looking at deja vu all over again. About ten years ago, four of us shot a buffalo apiece off of a ranch in east Texas. One of the guys was shooting a 1895 Marlin and 405 grain Remington factory ammo. It took two shots behind the shoulder to put the bull on the ground from 100 yards, and a third in the ear to close the deal. One of the bullets behind the shoulder looked like the one you recovered from the moose, and the other two completely shed their jackets. The round in the ear penetrated about seven inches before coming apart.

The rest of us were shooting cast bullets, and one of the three shot his buffalo twice behind the shoulder, once with a 450 grain paper patched bullet that was recovered. His second shot was with the 480 grain Lyman 457121, and it went through and through. This was with a 45-90 Sharps from 140 yards. Velocity was 1260 fps.

A third buffalo was shot square between the eyes from 85 yards with the 457121 and the bullet exited the rear of the skull, leaving a baseball sized exit wound. This was with a bull barreled 45-70 Shiloh. I was watching through binoculars from about 250 yards away, and the buffalo went down so fast that I momentarily lost sight of the animal, and thought my friend had missed. I had loaded this ammo, and it had chronographed 1242 fps.

I shot mine that day with a 45-110 and a 511 grain paper patched bullet at 1360 fps, one shot behind the shoulder, down and done with a complete pass through behind the shoulder.

I asked the ranch manager what was the largest number of buffalo taken from the ranch in a single day, and he replied that four was it. He said four was all that his processor could handle in a day, and that he had never had anyone able to put them on the ground as fast as we did.

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Good results with 300gr TSX loaded in my 45-70 Ruger No.1 at 2600 fps mv. 1 broadside shoulder shot DRT at 150 yards. Massive shock at higher impact speeds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ballistic reticles DO work, no doubt about it. And they take the guesswork out of where to hold.

Looking at the recovered bullets from your moose--nice moose, by the way--I felt like I was looking at deja vu all over again. About ten years ago, four of us shot a buffalo apiece off of a ranch in east Texas. One of the guys was shooting a 1895 Marlin and 405 grain Remington factory ammo. It took two shots behind the shoulder to put the bull on the ground from 100 yards, and a third in the ear to close the deal. One of the bullets behind the shoulder looked like the one you recovered from the moose, and the other two completely shed their jackets. The round in the ear penetrated about seven inches before coming apart.

The rest of us were shooting cast bullets, and one of the three shot his buffalo twice behind the shoulder, once with a 450 grain paper patched bullet that was recovered. His second shot was with the 480 grain Lyman 457121, and it went through and through. This was with a 45-90 Sharps from 140 yards. Velocity was 1260 fps.

A third buffalo was shot square between the eyes from 85 yards with the 457121 and the bullet exited the rear of the skull, leaving a baseball sized exit wound. This was with a bull barreled 45-70 Shiloh. I was watching through binoculars from about 250 yards away, and the buffalo went down so fast that I momentarily lost sight of the animal, and thought my friend had missed. I had loaded this ammo, and it had chronographed 1242 fps.

I shot mine that day with a 45-110 and a 511 grain paper patched bullet at 1360 fps, one shot behind the shoulder, down and done with a complete pass through behind the shoulder.

I asked the ranch manager what was the largest number of buffalo taken from the ranch in a single day, and he replied that four was it. He said four was all that his processor could handle in a day, and that he had never had anyone able to put them on the ground as fast as we did.

Apart from the extra weight of your bullets I would imagine penetration would have been much greater than the 45/70 factory load because your bullets were round nose and not flat nose.

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Penetration limited by wide expansion. Remington 405gr JSN and Speer 400gr JSN tend to flatten out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sharpsguy et al....
i have 4 45-70s that i cast for and rarely shoot due to circumstances. but will again. a remlin cowboy, 2 "real" marlin 1895s and a BFR. you guys knowledge and experience blow me away. so i have question. need advice. have been reloading and casting since 1966. this has me stumped. i have had to go to powder coating my 405s because i can't get em to run thru a star or a rcbs sizer/luber. they get stuck. i can't even beat em out. i have to get a torch and heat the die till they get soft then force em out. not every one. just 9 out of 10. i have tried straight WW, 50/50, and softer. don't water drop. someone mentioned dipping in lube. would that be pan lubing or ?? asking this question may be a little premature as again, due to circumstances, i can't get to em to mike em (for awhile) and the molds, like everything else are packed away. but i have measured em and they were with in limits. 3 diff molds. i cast 405s and 350s and a heavier one. with and w/out gas checks. sometimes as i remember the ones that would feed didn't even come out sized, just lubed. i have heated the star up to ease the process etc etc. no help. i cast for 7 (?) other calibers and don't have this problem. frustrating as hell. anyways, hell of a thread and any help appreciated.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, I can't give you an honest answer about your problems with lubing and sizing bullets with a Star or rcbs lubrisizer, because I have never used either one, and have never even seen one work.

What I do is melt my lube in a small cast iron pot, hot enough to melt the lube, but not hot enough to make the lube smoke. I use a ten dollar electric hotplate for this. I dip the bullet base first into the melted lube and sit it nose up on a piece of wax paper to cool. DO NOT set the bullet on a paper towel to cool, as the paper towel will wick the melted lube out of the grooves before it sets up. BTDT. When dipping the bullets in the lube, wearing a thin rubber surgical glove helps immensely in holding on to the short nosed 350 and 400 grain bullets

I then run my bullets after they are lubed through a .458 Lee push through sizing die. This die is quite inexpensive, about fifteen bucks, IIRC. Before loading the bullets into the case, I wipe the excess lube off of the bottom of the base using a folded paper towel. Hope this helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
4sixteen, I wholeheartedly agree that the 405 Remington is too soft for anything that is big or where penetration is needed. I saw that years ago using a clay bank as a backstop. The jacketed bullets came apart and often completely shed their jackets, whereas the cast bullets usually mushroomed nicely and often retained 90% or more of their weight. That and the fact that the cast bullets were practically free and the Remingtons were somewhere around 30 cents apiece pretty much gave me a bias toward the cast bullets early on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
John, I can't give you an honest answer about your problems with lubing and sizing bullets with a Star or rcbs lubrisizer, because I have never used either one, and have never even seen one work.

What I do is melt my lube in a small cast iron pot, hot enough to melt the lube, but not hot enough to make the lube smoke. I use a ten dollar electric hotplate for this. I dip the bullet base first into the melted lube and sit it nose up on a piece of wax paper to cool. DO NOT set the bullet on a paper towel to cool, as the paper towel will wick the melted lube out of the grooves before it sets up. BTDT. When dipping the bullets in the lube, wearing a thin rubber surgical glove helps immensely in holding on to the short nosed 350 and 400 grain bullets

I then run my bullets after they are lubed through a .458 Lee push through sizing die. This die is quite inexpensive, about fifteen bucks, IIRC. Before loading the bullets into the case, I wipe the excess lube off of the bottom of the base using a folded paper towel. Hope this helps.

gonna have to try this when i can get back at it. thanks

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote