THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles
Page 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 69

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
Dave

For the B&Ms to work in the BLR, I think the best chance one has to make that work proper would be with a rifle chambered in WSM. Or at least WSM magazines. I may be wrong, like I said, I never even laid hands on a BLR, but just knowing how things work, a little anyway, I think one of the rifles in WSM would be an easy convert to begin with.

But, I would think that length is pretty much the same in these? I think a B&M cartridge will fit in a 450 Marlin magazine, might not work proper, but get an idea of what could be done anyway. ????? We can see.

I think Max is going active hunting down a BLR in one of the WSMs. I might help find one too.

Magazine length in WSM has to be at least 3.00 inches, if you keep to 400 gr bullets in the 458 B&M, or less, then I think it will work fine, in fact, easy. Many of the larger bullets by CEB will work as well, I know I load the 450s and 480s to 2.95 and work dandy in the M70s.

Does anyone think the BLR can handle 60000 or so? I don't know. If so, then you would have a power house with the 458 B&M on a lever gun!

Michael

I agree. I went down to my local gun shop this morning. They have a used .243 BLR. The externals of the magazine are the same. In other words, that .243 magazine will fit into my 450 Marlin. Of course, the internal dimensions of the .243 were different. While I was there, we pulled out a 325 WSM. I could fit one into my magazine but there is a piece of sheet metal in my magazine that limits OAL to something around 2.61 so I couldn't get anymore WSMs in.

As you suggested, I think the solution would be to use a magazine from a 325 WSM which should work.

All the BLRs will handle 60,000. It is chambered in all the WSM cartridges.

The question is will a .458 B&M or .458 B&M SA clean up a 450 Marlin chamber? I am thinking that Cappy was right. I believe that a .458 B&M SA loaded with flat nose bullets typical for the 45-70/450 Marlin would be the answer. But then again, the 50 B&M Alaskan looks even better. Big Grin

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I just quickly hit up browning BLR on gunbroker, got 11 pages of BLRs. Gees--I had no idea there were so many models, chamberings and such for that thing! I like the looks of the pistol grip version for the heavy hitter, that stock will handle better than the "guide gun" type stock, I am sure of it.

I see they are chambered in all the WSMs, so they are easy to find, lot's of them.

I sent Brian an email at SSK just now and asked him about this. Maybe he knows something about them that we do not. ??????

I have to say, if a 458 B&M or 50 B&M could be chambered in one of these, it would be the most powerful lever gun ever known by mankind! At least that I am aware of!

Dave, would have to be one of the 50 B&Ms, not the Alaskan as it's rimmed and for the Marlins and M71s or single shots.

Maybe we find out something?
Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have to say, if a 458 B&M or 50 B&M could be chambered in one of these, it would be the most powerful lever gun ever known by mankind! At least that I am aware of!

Michael

Yea, the light is finally going on. This is like the day the "short and handy" light finally came on at my house shocker Michael, I am thinking that if a .458 B&M or a .458 B&M SA would clean up a 450 Marlin chamber, all you would have to do is the chamber job, replace the magazine with a 325 WSM magazine, and check the feeding. Can we please call it the .458 B&M Bushwhacker?

Mine is a blued pistol grip take down model and it is a joy to handle and shoot. If Brian says is will work, I'll foot the bill for the first one in .458 B&M or B&M SA.

You have come a long way in your voyage of discovery grasshopper Smiler

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
They make BLRs in longer magazine lengths too but the WSM conversion might be best. Make it a take down version and 7 lbs. I don't think the stock design would not be good for more than a short action big bore like the B&MSA or B&M. The B&MSA could be more flexible and not limited to 45-70 bullets.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Dave, Glad the light came on! Wink I've been looking all over to find a WSM magazine in town so that I could measure it. No luck so far. And here you have a .450 Marlin BLR and could be the first to convert it. Darn knife

Michael, Yes, the pistol-grip stock looks great and handles nicely. They make two pg stocks, a wood and a gray-black laminate. And yes, I'm actively looking. The comment about cleaning up the 458Mar chamber is a concern to me also. BUT! A rebarrel using a 1-10" or 12" twist vs the marlin 1-20" twist would be a very good benefit with BBWs and non-cons.
.475 on back burner until you receive dies and do your magnificent testing.

On the bullets, considering the case capacity of the .458 B&M, I don't think there will be much of a limitation. 500gr bullets may have to be seated too deeply to be of any use, but if 450 and 480s have to be deep seated, I'd be Ok with that.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The 458 B&M should clean up the chamber
The SA would leave some neck length but that would not be that big a deal.

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Boomie, I think you and Cappy are right. The two inch 450 B&M SA might be just the ticket.

Prof242, I don't think I would convert my 450 Marlin. I like the cartridge too much. I would probably just buy another on in 325 WSM for the conversion. I think you could be right about the re-barrel to get something with a faster twist.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Browning idea is very interesting--

a consideration-Will the alloy reciever hold scope mounts under 458 B&M recoil? coffee

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
There are a few steel receiver ones out there.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
The Browning idea is very interesting--

a consideration-Will the alloy reciever hold scope mounts under 458 B&M recoil? coffee

SSR

Cross, I don't think that would be a problem since the gun is chambered is some other hard kicking cartridges. Steel bases and rings would probably solve any problems.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Dave,
tu2 I'm thinking to get a .325 WSM for the conversion. Yeah, more expensive with the new barrel, but I could get the 1-10" twist that has shown such an advantage with Michael and Sam's bullets. Even a 1-12" twist would work with the bullets under 500 grains.

Boomy, thanks for the info on cleaning up the chamber. Your thought on a steel receiver had crossed my mind too. That is what I am looking for, but, if an aluminum is found at the right price, I'll buy it.

Cross L, I had that question about the aluminum receiver too, but was advised that just going to 8x40 screws should take care of the problem...if it ever were to be a problem. 8x40 screws have helped a lot of other big bores on all steel guns.

Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Just hold on for a bit guys on any BLR conversions. Brian is concerned about the barrel diameter and hanger on the forend. He thinks that may be a problem, however I have some more questions in to him about this today. So don't spend money just yet until we can take a look at this?

Speaking, Dave, what is the diameter of the barrel on your 450 at the muzzle?

It may be that the 450s have a wider, bigger hanger and forend, and I can't see where that would be a problem? Possible the smaller calibers are not the same? Might have to consider one chambered in 450 Marlin, and use WSM magazines, or something such??? But just hold on until I can get some more out of Brian and JD.

Damn Dave, he turned the page on me here and I don't think anyone paid any attention to my new bastogne blanks!

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think I mentioned the other day that I bought some NEW bastogne blanks from Accurate Innovations! Wes sent some photos. They look good to me, I bought them, or traded actually, Wes and I have a trade going on, these eat up the rest of the trade and then some! HEH.... I could not refuse them!

Excellent
Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
From Brian at SSK

quote:
I see they offer the 450 in the BLR. Would need to see one. Might be possible. The barrel threads into a steel insert that fits into the aluminum receiver or they used to.

Need one to look at. Barrel setup uses a steel insert, like an AR-15. Can't always get them apart. Not sure the inserts can be bought separately if need be.

OK there you have it, project is not DEAD YET. What Brian needs is a BLR chambered in 450 Marlin just to take a look at and see if it is possible!

Does anyone know someone that MIGHT have a BLR in 450 Marlin??? I wonder??? rotflmo

I see Midway has WSM magazines for M81 BLR for $55.00. Does anyone have a BLR in a WSM or might find one that we could BORROW the magazine to see if it fits in a 450 Marlin BLR?????

If someone could FIND a 450 Marlin BLR for Brian to LOOK at and would send it to Brian, and we can't find a WSM magazine for LOAN--I would foot the bill on a new WSM magazine to see if it would work?

Man, if we only knew someone that had a BLR chambered in 450 Marlin?
rotflmo

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Michael!
You Da Man! I bow to your thinking and gracious nature. patriot

As to your stocks, I am in awe of the grain on them. Uh, wanna see my birch stock? rotflmo

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Okay, okay, I'll be the guinea pig. Plus, mine is a take down model anyway so it will be easy for Brian to look at.

I'll pull mine apart this morning. I am not sure Brian is correct. I think that the bolt is timed to lock directly into the barrel. There is no stress on the aluminum receiver. You can find a picture of it here:

http://www.browning.com/produc...pistol-grip-firearms

According to Chuck Hawks, "The Browning BLR lever action rifle has all of the fine qualities of a good lever action with the inherent strength and accuracy of a bolt action. The BLR is essentially a "lever operated bolt action" because multiple locking lugs on the head of the bolt rotate into the breech end of the barrel to create a very strong action."

Michael, I've been wrong plenty of times before and usually when I am the most certain about something but I can't see any reason that the 300 WSM magazine wouldn't just slip right in to my 450 BLR. I think this will work but I an now thinking that the simplest route is simply a re-chamber of a 450 Marlin and using the 300 WSM (or 270 WSM) magazine. That would require staying with the 1/20 twist but that's not so bad either.

I'll call Brian today.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Dave

I have been wrong myself, once or twice that I recall! HEH........

I have not looked at one, or ever in my life had a BLR in my hands that I remember. But I can't see a manufacturer making a huge change in an entire receiver to accommodate another cartridge? I too believe that a WSM magazine would slide right into your receiver, lock up, and work fine. Internal of the magazine changes--Yes, I think so of course, but a major change in the receiver, no I don't think so. I concur with your assessment, but hell, we both might be stupid! animal

OR

cuckoo

LOL

Hey, with a 67% meplat, we can work with a 1:20 twist, remember?

OK, Dave, you are the Goat on this one, you send the rifle--I will purchase a WSM magazine from Midway and send it to Brian, but before sending it, I will check and see what all will fit in it first!

Deal Done.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
WSM BLR Magazine ordered, and on the way!

FYI

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Hey Dave, I looked at that link you gave--you know, that thing is not as ugly as I thought it was! I have to ask this however, does it say Browning on the receiver, or the barrel?

bewildered

Wonder if I could scratch that Browning off of it, and put Winchester?

Hmmmmmm????????

Gee, the take down looks like it would be easy as hell to monkey with? But I don't know!

M

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
Michael!
You Da Man! I bow to your thinking and gracious nature. patriot

As to your stocks, I am in awe of the grain on them. Uh, wanna see my birch stock? rotflmo

Thanks Max, Birch Plywood perhaps? HEH HEH.......

Damn, those blanks look pretty spiffy to me! Now, waiting for the other 3 bastogne stocks to be checkered and delivered SOON I HOPE!!!!!

Now with two more blanks--What can I put them on? 9.3 perhaps? Maybe I need a new rifle? Hmmmm?

M

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Michael:

It measures about .735 at the muzzle.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Michael:

It measures about .735 at the muzzle.

That's a good bit smaller than the B&Ms at .785 I think, or close. But, that's of no matter I don't think. I was just curious as compared to standard contour I use on the Bolt guns. Ain't nothing to turn it down a notch I don't think.

Good Deal. I have magazine on the way! Should be here by Friday!

M

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Michael:

I just got off the phone with Brian. I thought the bolt locked directly into the barrel itself. However, as you indicated, he is pretty sure that the barrel is screwed into a steel insert. He says if the steel insert is indeed the case it could be done but would probably have to be a re-barrel job. He has doubts that a .458 B&M will clean up a 450 Marlin chamber because of the belt on the 450 Marlin. That left me scraching my head a bit because the belt on a 450 Marlin measures .532 and the base diameter of the .458 B&M measures .553. Will try and get my gun off to him today or tomorrow.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Michael:

I just got off the phone with Brian. I thought the bolt locked directly into the barrel itself. However, as you indicated, he is pretty sure that the barrel is screwed into a steel insert. He says if the steel insert is indeed the case it could be done but would probably have to be a re-barrel job. He has doubts that a .458 B&M will clean up a 450 Marlin chamber because of the belt on the 450 Marlin. That left me scraching my head a bit because the belt on a 450 Marlin measures .532 and the base diameter of the .458 B&M measures .553. Will try and get my gun off to him today or tomorrow.

Well Dave, these sort of things go beyond my area of expertise, so I leave it to Brian to sort out! He tries very hard to teach me things, but I don't listen well! In fact, sometimes I just stop him, and tell him "Don't tell me about the labor pains--Show me the Baby!" I don't need to know as I can't do it anyway! HEH.......

Send it to him, let him do a little study for us and we see what we see!

In the meantime, I should have the mag by Friday afternoon, now that is something I can do, see what fits in it! HEH....

Excellent! I will snatch the barrel off one, scratch browning out, and color WINCHESTER on it somewhere and build one myself too, if we can get it to work!

How about accuracy of these things?

M

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I haven't got a scope mounted on mine yet but I have been shooting it with the iron sights at 40 meters. Even with my 63 year old eyes, I am able to shoot nice little clusters with open sights. The factory sights are more target sights and would be tough for rapid acquisition of a moving target.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
In just about 12 weeks two new 458 B&M rifles will leave SSK, one bound for Carl in Rapid City and the second one to me in San Jose. We settled on this caliber with a 20" barrel and these will replace our 458Lott rifles, a Dakota 24" and RSM 22". They will be lighter to carry and quicker on target than the Lotts. I may even think of selling my beloved Winchester Custom Shop .416Rem as well as the RSM.

Our .458Lott rifles will have their last dance on Ele next month. The B&M rifles will accept that responsibility in future.

A big THANKS to Michael for all his effort and dedication in developing and then field testing this caliber and rifle combination and for his generosity in willingly sharing with all the proprietary information he has produced.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
LionHunter:

Can you tell me what you expect they will weigh?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Dave-

As is the case with all rifles, the determining fact will be the stock chosen for a particular rifle. These B&M caliber rifles are built on a receiver taken from a CRF Winchester WSM - Carl had one that was built in SC whereas I bought a used one on Gunbroker which was built in New Haven. Although there are differences between the two, they are not significant to the build. Carl is looking into a Hogue synthetic with the aluminum bedding. I hope to use the Winchester laminate stock and will have it bedded to the action. Michael likes wood and is very happy with the AI stocks.

Because we chose the 20" bbl over the 18" bbl - both are options - I expect our rifles to weigh between 7-8 lbs with open sights installed.

More information about both the B&M calibers and rifles is available on Michaels website:
http://www.bmriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Dave, I looked at that link you gave--you know, that thing is not as ugly as I thought it was! I have to ask this however, does it say Browning on the receiver, or the barrel?

bewildered

Wonder if I could scratch that Browning off of it, and put Winchester?

Hmmmmmm????????

Gee, the take down looks like it would be easy as hell to monkey with? But I don't know!

M

Michael

Since Browning and Winchester are owned by the same company now, just add;

By Winchester- under the Browning name--

Browning

by

Winchester

beer

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Hey Cross

Yeah, I think that works for me--Browning by Winchester. HEHH..... Hey, I like those high grade M71s that browning did in 1986, that's what I have used to covert my own 50 B&M Alaskans. It only says browning on the barrel--no where else. Since we snatch the barrels off, then there is nothing on them anymore, so I figure they are Winchesters and who is to say different? That's my story anyway!..

Dave and Mike, I have that 20 inch 458 B&M, it's stainless, with a Claro AI stock, it weighs in at 7 3/4 lbs. 8 3/4 with a 1.5X5 Leupold. Mike, this one has a barrel band sling stud. HEH..... Looks spiffy on 20 inches--not too good on 18 I think. Claro is light however, English or Turkish would take it up to 8 even without scope. That laminated stock is not light either, I would guess it will come in at 8 as well. Carls will come in at 7 or so. Spot on at 7-8 lbs, depending on the stock. Oh and Mike, thank you, but no thanks needed, my pleasure, especially the field testing! LOL.... Well, someone has to do it!

M

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen (and I use this term sincerely),
Thank you for all the work that you are doing in trying to bring the BLR .458 B&M to reality. Anyone at the DSC show in January will definitely get the drink of their choice on me...the cost, not the drink. rotflmo
With help like this, I am blessed.
Max

P.S. Michael, got the package from you today!

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc m,
Yes, prettiest wood I have ever seen for a gunstock.
thumb
Glad I prefer synthetics or I wood be green with envy. Big Grin
I have the M71 on the way from that pawn shop in Florida. M71: 1886 Winchester-Improved tu2

What is the best source for order of .50 B&M Alaskan reloading dies?
Layne Simpson's magazine articles show pictures of RCBS dies.
I like either Hornady or RCBS, thanks.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And where is the .395 B&M in all of this?

All I've ever heared about the BLR was bad from a bunch of haters.
I guess I'm going to have to check them out. The take down looks sweet. tu2

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you for all the work that you are doing in trying to bring the BLR .458 B&M to reality. Anyone at the DSC show in January will definitely get the drink of their choice on me...the cost, not the drink. rotflmo
Max

Max
Excellent! I will take you up on a beer then! HEH..........

Sent some dummies, I think as well? Can't remember what I threw in the bag?

RIP

"Wood Be Green" HEH.... Good one!

M71 on the way, the one we looked at? Looked Nice!

Dies---I have 5 on order from Hornady, they should be here any day? RCBS can also make them, but honestly, I think I like the Hornady just as well, and they are 1/2 the price.

Phats, I will make the same deal on a 395 B&M as I did on 410 B&M and 375 B&M. I will get the reamer, it can be part of the B&M family, but someone else is going to do the first rifle! HEH....., And the load data too!

Trying to get to the range this morning?

Michael

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Max

Prof242:

I will get my BLR off to SSK today. If this works it is going to be very cool. I have been searching through Michael's .458 B&M load data and there is a load using 61 grains of IMR 4198 and a 400 grain bullet at 2150 fps. The 400 grain BBW#13 solid has the cannelure set to function in a 45-70 or 450 Marlin. Remember now that back in the day the 450/400 was the all around African rifle with a 400 grain at 2050 fps. This one load would eclipse the 450/400. 450/400 guys will argue that their bullets have better sectional density to which I say moon This BBW#13 or a Woodleigh Hydro will sail through a cape buffalo at that velocity and that's a low powered load.

Can you tell me, what are the dates for the DSC and where do the AR guys usually stay. I think I am going down this year.

There is a bit of irony here. If this works, I'll bet Ron will be forced to order another 450 Marlin for the conversion! rotflmo

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Dave,
The DSC will be held Jan 5-8, 2012, in Dallas. For more info, you can look them up on the web and get the latest on the show.
Many of us stay at the Comfort Inn. JudgeG has reserved a number of rooms for AR members so all you have to do is call CI and reserve yours. We have a dinner one night and a party in the hotel on another night, both great events.

Thanks for volunteering your .450 BLR for SSK to look at. Very courteous (or should that be courageous Eeker) of you. We'll now get the naswers we need first hand from the pros.
Your load sounds like a good one. Will be prepared for it.

Ron? Forced to order another 450 Marlin? From what I've seen Ron isn't forced into anything, he just gets a wild hare (great shooting) and goes. dancing

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Michael and prof242:

I dropped my BLR off at our local UPS hub this afternoon. They thought that it would be delivered to SSK on Tuesday afternoon. I am anxious to find out what Brian has to say. Nothing ventured, nothing gained right?

Even if this doesn't work, I will be happy with my 450 Marlin. I am pretty sure I can get those 400 grain BBW#13s up to 1900 fps in the 20 inch barrel and that, plus the 400 grain Hydros should do anything that needs to be done with a lever gun.

Michael, I think Boomie has this figured out. With a 400 grain BBW#13, Hydro, or a NonCon, overall length would only be about 2.745 I think.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phatman:
And where is the .395 B&M in all of this?

All I've ever heared about the BLR was bad from a bunch of haters.
I guess I'm going to have to check them out. The take down looks sweet. tu2

Cheers, John

Phatman,
Brian Alberts at SSK refused to use a McGowen Barrel on my .458 B&M, so I settled for a Pac-Nor, 1:10" twist, the first ever .458 B&M with such a fast twist, maybe still the only one, no?
Brian was bumfuzzled over letting me use that twist at first, finally agreed, very cautious fellow that he is. Big Grin

McGowen is the only source for .395 barrels, so SSK won't be building any .395 B&M. Big Grin
I already have 75% of the world's existing supply of .395-caliber rifles,
and prof242 has the other 25% share,
and his .395 Ruger Max will out-do a .395 B&M ballistics, just takes a rifle with a 0.4" longer action.
No big deal.
I am sure Doc M could not care less about another kiss-up over a .395 B&M.
He has enough irons in the fire right now,
me too, for what little my little self can handle right now.

Working on:

49-10 No.2 (FN Mauser) with Duane Wiebe 6MX 3+1 box formerly for 500 Jeffery, now even better on this ".500 Lapua." patriot
404 RIP, finished, is the Dakota M76 rebarreled from .395 Tatanka, just needs to be loaded and chronographed salute
.395 Tatanka No.2, barrel taken off Dakota and moving to a CZ, since the .395 Tatanka Ruger No.1 is so sweet. thumb

I have my oddball fix for now, will shoot the .348 Win M71 for a while before getting it rebarreled to something in .500 caliber. Big Grin
.348-caliber bullets, only factory rifles ever being the Winchester M71 produced from about 1936 to 1957 or thereabouts, and the Browning M71 repro, from about 1987 to 1990, or thereabouts ...
I want another one before they all get converted to .50 B&M Alaskan. Big Grin

BTW:

Easy to get the 45-70 up to +2000 fps with a 400-grain bullet in a 22" barrel: 52 grains of RL-7
I even fired that 3 times in a Marlin, but stopped when I noticed every screw in the gun was starting to loosen.

Ammoguide case capacities are notoriously inaccurate, calculated values using their "special algorithm."

Use Winchester 45-70 brass and it has a greater case capacity than the 450 Marlin.

Jeepers those aluminum-actioned BLRs are homely!
Detachable box magazines are a real no-no for a DGR.
Oh I forgot, they are not meant to be DGRs, just toys.
Ok, as you were ... Big Grin

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't mind me, I'm just stir a little.
I really am interested in how the BLR works out. Lever guns are just too much fun. tu2

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Dave

Excellent, Brian will take a look, and see what we can do, if anything. I should have that magazine in by this afternoon, shipped Wed, should be today. Then we will know for sure what will fit the magazine, then I will get it off to Brian on Monday, he can see if it fits in your rifle!

RIP

Your 458 B&M is still the only 1:10 twist that I know of. The new 475 B&Ms and Super Shorts all have 1:10 twists. But, are a bit hard to get right now. Waiting on some to come in, I have a stainless gun up there now waiting for a barrel. Brian will get several barrels while at it as well.

And yes, we both have a lot of irons out there right now for sure.

404 RIP, ok, I have a full load of .423 BBW#13s coming. I already have 350 BBW#13 Solids in hand, 400s on the way, and then the Matching NonCons as well. We did a run of 15 boxes of each on those, CEB is keeping 1/2 the run in inventory, I am getting the other 1/2 run here for you guys! I think you and Jim are hot on these, so I will have them by the first of the week I think.

M71 into something in .500? Wait a damned minute, better be 50 B&M Alaskan! hilbily

I think I kept one M71 Hi Grade as 348 Winchester. I don't know, can't get much interest in it. That's why I converted 3 of them at this point to .500. LOL............

Have plenty of .500s on the shelves!

I can't keep 458s however, Lionhunter and his buddy Carl empty the shelves faster than Dan can make them!

Yes, have to keep the screws tight on the Marlins! Doing the pressure traces on the 50 B&M AK I forgot to check screws, you know, busy, thinking of pressure traces, working, and before long the thing was falling apart for real. Hell, right now the loading gate is out of it, have to order a new screw, but have been busy, forget it, and have been using it working the pressures without the loading gate. For a long time it just floated in there until Sam took it out for me, no way I was going to take that thing apart!

quote:
Jeepers those aluminum-actioned BLRs are homely!

animal

Ain't it the truth! A M71 or M1886 it is NOT! No doubt. It just does not have that traditional lever look, and not only that, being chambered in non-lever cartridges was never appealing to me either.

But I will have to say, the prospect of one of these chambered in a full B&M cartridge is somewhat "intriguing" to me, has my attention you might say! Replacing my traditional M71s in 50 B&M AK--NEVER EVER, or my Win M70s, but interesting non the less. Maybe it will look better with a 18 inch barrel, barrel band front sights?

Michael