THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles
Page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 69

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Dave

I think the 338 Win is too big a rifle these days! I have had them, still have some stashed away. Just big and long. That HH based case needs that barrel to burn proper. I have had very very good results from the rifles from New Haven, but all mine were from the custom shop at the time, so they got a bit of extra attention.

I bought 5 of the SC rifles recently to build B&Ms on. They look fine, no issues. We are building a 9.3 on one of them now. I have not decided what to build on the other 4 yet? Not sure of the new trigger on a big bore? I suppose it will be fine?? Really like the old triggers a lot. All my B&Ms have been built on New Haven guns, of course that leaves ONLY the action anyway, but they have been superb and very happy with that, but we put bigger bore barrels on them!

NEWS FLASH

Sam and I did a lot of work today! Great time. Concerning the B&M thread directly, we did some Pressure traces on the 458 B&M and the 458 B&M Super Short with the new CEB BBW#13 bullets, 400/370 combo, 325/295 Combo! Some incredible tests in particular in the 458 Super Short. How about the 295 BBW#13 NonCon HP at over 2500 fps in the little gun, 56000 PSI!!!!! Smoking for that little gun. Now, that is great, but the story of HOW we got there is FAR better, and extremely interesting. I hope I don't forget by tomorrow, I will tell you about this!

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
So did the 458 SS cross the 2,400 mark with the 325's?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats an under statement!

Posts: 2832 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Boomy

I think Sam might have been thinking the 458 B&M. We did pressure traces in addition to terminals yesterday on the new .458s from CEB.

For the 458 B&M we never completed those, got sidetracked with an issue I will mention below. With the 20 inch 458 B&M set up with the pressure trace, We did take the 400 CEB BBW#13 Solid to 2407 fps at 60626 PSI with 69/RL 7, and the matching NonCon 370 CEB BBW#13 HP to 2450 fps with the same 69/RL 7 for 59477 PSI. There is a little room to move on this, but I see little point in it personally, you can get all the performance in the world with terminals, without pushing the limits, and this gives you a very safe margin with max PSI at 65000. In reality with these cartridges you can WAY exceed 65000 PSI before you get a sticky action. Sam and I had one 458 Super Short bust 71000 PSI yesterday and it did not get sticky. Would not wish to give that a steady diet however. But if you stop at 60000 to 63000 you leave yourself some margin to play with, that's what I tend to do if I am happy with the load. Sometimes even far less.

Now moving to the 325 BBW#13 in the 458 B&M we only tested one load 75/RL 7 and 2614 fps at only 54529 PSI. Lot's of pressure to work with, not much case capacity left with that powder.

With the matching 295 NonCon we took it to 2716 fps with 77/RL 7 at only 54419 PSI. Again, probably a different powder might get some more velocity out of that, if you wanted. For myself, I doubt I will look very hard as this is plenty. Who Knows? Maybe when I am not so busy with other projects as well.

Then we get to the little 458 B&M Super Short, 16 inch barrel, 6.25 lb mini gun! We made some headway with the 325 BBW#13 Solid at an excellent 2311 fps at 57217 PSI. Room to work there for sure. FYI,the 330 Barnes Banded would only go to 2270 fps at 62000 PSI, max safe margins. This 4 band CEB bullet lowers pressures, of this there is no doubt. Much like the North Forks! Not much difference.

Then we got very sidetracked with the 295 NonCon HP.

Sometimes one runs into anomalies that is hard to work through, we run into one yesterday! Tested the 295 with starting load of 45/LilGun for 2324 fps at 51655 PSI! Lot's of room there. So I worked up to 47/LilGun 2390 fps 53443 PSI--Good load, good numbers all the way. 49/LilGun 2422 fps but at 53086 PSI??? Huhhhh? I blamed a connection maybe? Anomaly maybe? Anyway, moved to 51/LilGun for 2463 fps at 56423 PSI. More like it, up in velocity, up in pressures, the correct trend.

Then we moved to 53/LilGun, no increase in velocity, and pressures all over the place? Sam suggested we move from a Fed 210 Primer to a Fed 215 Primer. Light bulb came on from a couple of years ago, where in 458 B&M I was getting some nutty velocity from light loads with Fed 210s and even out with 215s. So yes, that was it! We loaded some with 53/LilGun and Fed 215s. No gain in velocity at 2483 fps and pressures to 55469? Same as 51/Lilgun and Fed 210??? Did not make sense at all? So at only 55000 with 53 grs we decided to try 55/LilGun and a Fed 215. MAN pressures went crazy, huge velocity spreads as well. We got 2507 fps at a big cost 69135 PSI. Still crazy!

OK new plan! Go back load 54/LilGun and a Fed 210--Good numbers, 2483 fps and 55946 PSI. I can live with that load. But still not fully satisfied, I wanted to break that 2500 fps barrier with this tiny short rifle! So 55/LilGun Fed 210 Primer--2543 fps at 63256 PSI. Yes, this did it, but with an EXTREME SPREAD--I did not like. From 2569 to 2518 fps--I was not happy with that.

Sam and I had been doing a primer test some weeks ago. It's rather extensive calling for 3 different cartridges to be tested with all the various rifle primers. 9.3 B&M--458 B&M--50 B&M. We only completed the 9.3 B&M portion, only 1/3 of the test. During this test Sam really wanted to know about some MagTech Primers. He had bought about a million of them, cheap! So they were included in this test with the 9.3 B&M. Well, turns out, they are a superb lot of primers! In fact, I was amazed at this, as I am a Federal Primer Freak! But there was no denying this. Sam said lets try the MagTech primers!

Now, back to the lab, load 55/LilGun and Magtech Rifle Primers! Results--2519-2501--18 ES--2510 Average at 55390 PSI!

The factors; Cartridge and design makes a difference in how different powders burn! This is no doubt. A shoulder on a 458 cartridge is a different animal than a straight case .458. This causes some powders to burn differently and can cause some anomalies, and it took a Primer to bring it under control! Now how that MagTech lights off different than some of the others--In this particular situation, you got me, I don't know, I just know it works! This does not mean the Fed 215 and 210 is bad, just that in this particular situation the Magtech brought things in line. Next time, different bullet, powder it might be the Fed that does the same thing! Who knows, until you try?

This was rather unusual, and I have not run into this sort of thing as a normal occurrence, so that is why I felt like it needed to be reported so in case any of you run into something crazy like this, try some other options! Might just bring things right into line where you want it to be. Of course, I may have never known this had we not been watching both pressure trace and chronograph, and I might not have clued in without Sam's suggestion! Sometimes two thinking on a project is better than One!

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boomy, Yeah I was not thinking right about the SS speeds. Still very impressive for a 16 inch gun. That 600 OK may have rattled my brain a little.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sam and I had been doing a primer test some weeks ago. It's rather extensive calling for 3 different cartridges to be tested with all the various rifle primers. 9.3 B&M--458 B&M--50 B&M. We only completed the 9.3 B&M portion, only 1/3 of the test. During this test Sam really wanted to know about some MagTech Primers. He had bought about a million of them, cheap! So they were included in this test with the 9.3 B&M. Well, turns out, they are a superb lot of primers! In fact, I was amazed at this, as I am a Federal Primer Freak! But there was no denying this. Sam said lets try the MagTech primers!
Very interesting test results…most definitely want to see the full primer testing. How ‘bout you PM a bunch of us so that we can bulk buy some of what works best before their prices go through the roof as a result of your published testing!!!

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Jim

HEH--The primer test is an eye opening experience thus far. As we know, different cartridge designs, shoulders/necks and so forth react differently with different powders/primer combos. So I picked the 9.3 B&M, 458 B&M and 50 B&M to conduct this primer test with. Each with two different powders to work with. The 50 B&M acting as a straight case, which always seems less effected by a change in primer, than those with shoulders. I won't be able to complete this test until I return it appears, just too much do do before I leave. It's fairly extensive, as it is being done with the pressure trace that picks up all tiny changes that a chronograph does not pick up. Using both in combination gives us some very solid and reliable data to work from.

We have some interesting rifles arriving today. My friend Daryl Lenkic in Australia had a 475 B&M Super Short built, along with a 458 B&M SA on a short action Remington! Now I did have a small hissy fit over the "R" build, but finally relented to Daryl's wishes. Recall the 458 B&M SA is designed for the big heavy DPMS semi's, which require a Semi-tractor trailer to tote them around! This little rifle of Daryls has a 16 inch barrel which should be interesting to say the least. ????? Will post some photos maybe tomorrow.

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam and Michael -

When will you try some real 600 OK velocities? Smiler Ie 2200-2400 fps with 900 grainers??

Ulrik

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
HEH HEH Buffalo!

Well now is Sam's big heavy season. I won't see Sam for a few months now. That leaves me to do the heavy shooting. On medical leave from 600 OK and 500 MDM until mid May now. When I crank up the heavy hitters, I will be "Dropping" velocity of the current 600 Load, not increasing! Yep, that's right! WHY???? Got to know what the bottom end of shear is on the NonCons, and how much penetration we get with the 900 BBW#13 at low velocity as well, simulating 50-75 maybe even 100 yd impacts with 600 Nitros! So, that puts me down into 1650 to 1700 fps test work next.

Then we bump up to the other series of tests with the 600 OK. I want to test at 2150 to 2200 fps the range of bullets that CCMDoc sent, and the CEBs.

Then, I might bump up the 825 NonCon a notch to see what happens then! That's the 600 OK plan right now. But, I have to get off medical leave first!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
From a phone camera earlier today from the NRA Show. First up is Corbin holding Wes's 458 B&M with a Accurate Innovations stock. Looks pretty good, the rifle of course! Not that square head!

And again, left to right, Wes, Corbin, and Josh. 3 of our own!

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
On their way to Australia!!!!!!

First ever bolt gun built on a 458 B&M SA---the 2 inch RUM case designed for the DPMS. And also a 475 B&M Super Short. Both on their way to Australia to my buddy Daryl. As you can see these have no sights on them yet. Daryl is going to do some modifications once he gets them. I think he is even changing the stock on the 458 B&M SA.

Now, I was able to get some 458 B&M SA brass made this morning, I was curious as to what it would shape up to be, and in the middle, between the 458 B&M and the 458 B&M Super Short, here it is.

Next up in comparison to the 50 B&M SA.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Without these two guys the B&M rifles/cartridges would not have been so easy to create and make work!

JD Jones and myself from one of his recent visits. Holding my personal favorite 458 B&M.

And of course our Boy Brian Alberts here with Wes at the NRA show last weekend, holding Wes's favorite 458 B&M as well!

Part of the B&M team!

Michael

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quite the Rogue's Gallery here.
Hobby friends and enablers are so nice! beer

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
Now, I was able to get some 458 B&M SA brass made this morning, I was curious as to what it would shape up to be, and in the middle, between the 458 B&M and the 458 B&M Super Short, here it is.

Next up in comparison to the 50 B&M SA.

Michael
Very nice! It appears overflow capacity is about 84grs…which slots nicely between the 458 B&M SS (overflow capacity of 69grs) and the 458 B&M (overflow capacity of 99grs)…will be most interesting to see what performance it’ll get from a bolt gun.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did I somehow miss photos and spec on the 475 B&M SS?

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
Did I somehow miss photos and spec on the 475 B&M SS?

SSR

Nope, not yet, photos anyway.. No Hornady dies, yet for the 475s. When I get dies, I go to work and make some brass and loads to photo. Specs are on ammoguide. With these new CEB bullets I just received, I think the 475s might actually be good rifle/cartridge combination! Now to be complete I need the dies, and the new bullets from North Fork that are designed for these cartridges.

I have just had a bug in my head about .474 since the fiasco with the Capsticks. So you can see the 475s are the last ones to be done. I suppose that will be the end of the B&M line, last cartridge that I can imagine that will be useful.

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Did you forget I made you a sizing die for your 475 B&Ms?

Sam

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Michael,

Did you forget I made you a sizing die for your 475 B&Ms?

Sam

Sam

Almost, sorta, forgot, but have not had time, with the surgery, the real work, and all the other stuff as well going on.

Maybe I get in there in the morning and see if I can at least fire form some proper brass to see what they look like???? If I don't forget?

Corbin stopped by this afternoon! Dropped off my fire wood for me! Now I really don't know what to do with it? I think, 500 MDM, 50 B&M, and maybe even that new 475 B&M????
Or, maybe 458 B&M, 50 B&M, 9.3 B&M? Or Blah Blah BlaH?????? I don't know, even more confused! Maybe you should decide?

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Just kidding and its a wonder I remembered it. Don't hurt the neck! You have to go shoot buffalo soon. I shouldn't have let you shoot my 45-70 the other day either.
Firewood! Don't ask me which one to put it on, maybe a gold plated AK. I know Corbin would love that.

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask Mom what to do with one piece of it. Surely she shoots some?

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Stock #2 would look extremely nice on #1 Boss' rifle! And #2 Boss will appreciate it as well in few years.

There, problem solved...now you only have two blanks to worry about.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:

SSR

Momma is OUT on this deal! I showed her the blanks after Corbin left yesterday! She was Mad at me! "You spent that much on those and where is my custom dining table now" "Maybe take those stock blanks, saw them up and use them for my dining table"

NO WAY!!!! Could be a "Domestic" over that!!!!!

Bad thing is, I don't even remember anything about a new "dining table"??? I don't know where that come from?

So I officially REMOVE her from this process!

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo rotflmo

shocker

I saw a real nice Mesquite dining table at DSC. they only start at about $10,000 and are custom. Want me to forward the addy to her?

Big Grin

SSR

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
rotflmo rotflmo

shocker

I saw a real nice Mesquite dining table at DSC. they only start at about $10,000 and are custom. Want me to forward the addy to her?

Big Grin

SSR

Hmmmm, Maybe I should hold that AI stock of yours for ransom, just to make SURE no adverts show up to Momma for a "Mesquite Table"?

It's on the "Shipping Table" Now, waiting for pickup!

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have those blanks sliced really thin and get your wifes table made out of them, You can then at least look at the stock shapes in the table top. Might look pretty good with those pretty blanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check this out:
mailto:info@austinmesquiteworks.com

they sure pretty Wink

and the rocking chairs are super comfortable

rotflmo

Thanks for handling the stock thing, with any luck i will get some loads for the 416 with trailboss powder worked up this week.

SSR

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

SSR
Momma is OUT on this deal! I showed her the blanks after Corbin left yesterday! She was Mad at me! "You spent that much on those and where is my custom dining table now" "Maybe take those stock blanks, saw them up and use them for my dining table"

NO WAY!!!! Could be a "Domestic" over that!!!!!

Bad thing is, I don't even remember anything about a new "dining table"??? I don't know where that come from?

So I officially REMOVE her from this process!

Michael
Uh oh… shocker You missed the subtle AND the obvious hints!!! homer You are in deep doodoo now! sofa Blame it on the surgery and medication. tu2

So… Momma’s getting a new custom dinning room table for Mother’s Day… Right! old Best get that sucker on order pronto!

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Hum... Things are very quiet... MM must be out shopping for that custom dining table...or perhaps back in the hospital recovering from a concussion. hilbily

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I am on the range today! HEH......... Getting 458 B&M and 500 MDM POI and RTG! In and out of the lab working loads and fine tuning.

M

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
BOOM
How do you feel?

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Doc

No pain. No blood. Didn't seem to tear anything loose? Used protection. Started with 458 B&M, then 500 MDM.

About 40 rounds each gun. I had enough of the 500 MDM, so it was time to quit. Started out very good, ended up like shit. But I do think I have it pretty well fine tuned and the issue at the end is me, having been off too long. So I will take it up again either tomorrow or next week. Then I might hook up the 600 as well.

Thanks

M

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I can once again announce that in all the many directions I get pulled to, I found that I missed something, and did not fully investigate it as I should have. This happens, but eventually I seem to discover it, one way or the other.

Back in the day, working up loads for the 458 B&M I worked a great deal with RL 10X. Being lazy, and not putting that powder on the pressure trace until late, it was giving good results with the heavier bullets, 450s and 500s. Later I went to AA 2520, giving extreme results with the 450-500s. But, I never revisited RL 10X with the new CEB BBW#13s. I should have long before now. Another 458 B&M Fan, 450NE bumped me on this a couple weeks ago, it stuck in my mind yesterday! Now dead in getting rifles RTG and POIs done, I was not much into changing powders right now. I tried some RL 10X, with the main bullets I intend to work with, the 450/420 BBW#13s. Starting at 66 grs going to 70 grs slick as can be, but I could tell that 70 was getting close. Velocity was superb and some more than AA250 in the 18 inch English 458 B&M I am working with. Running the 450 BBW#13 at 2246 fps and the 420 at 2280, in the 18 inch gun. Now, I went ahead and set up the Pressure trace rifle, 20 inch gun, to get pressures and see for sure. In the 20 inch rifle the 450 give 2276 fps and the 420 2311 fps. 15 fps per inch of barrel increase, the difference between 18 and 20 inches is worth that sacrifice to me.

Now, max with AA2520 is giving me 2205 fps with the 450 and 2250 with the 420. Not a lot of difference and none to be really concerned over, no animal is going to tell me that he can tell the difference in 30-40 fps. Big difference is RL 10X is burning more complete, providing more energy with 70 grs, than AA2520 is with 78. I could care less about a few grs less, but AA2520 is crunch and munch seating at 78 grs!

Top it off the new 370 BBW#13 NonCon shoots dead 1 inch above the 450/420 combination---well within POI. the 450/420 are in the same hole at 50.

Now this week I will start running some more POIs on some other bullets to see what else fits in with the RL 10X loads. Might even work some terminals in with the new .458s 295 and 370 at higher velocity.

Why did I not revisit RL 10X from some years ago??? At the time I did traces on RL 10X I was working with 450 Swifts, 450 Barnes, 500 Woodleighs and hornady and getting top loads with the 450s at 2160-2190. I had not thought that the CEBs with the new bands lowered pressures, and hiked velocity. But of course they do.

RL 10X seems to be quite the powder for many of the B&Ms--it's top dog in the 500 MDM, no doubt about it. Top dog as well in the 50 B&M Alaskan lever guns as I recently learned. I will have to revisit RL 10X a bit more in the 50 B&M as well, but it seems RL 10X is dragging a bit behind H-4198 and IMR 4198. With a nod going to H-4198 now.

Always room to discover, revisit, especially when a new bullet is introduced. I suspect it will still take some time for me to catch up, but we never stop here, it's just which direction we may take at any given time is always in question?

Well, seems I am back in the shooting business! Been shooting steady since Friday with no ill effects. I assure you RIP and CCMDoc were correct, I needed that time--Listen to our Docs, they actually know! I have to admit, the 458 B&M is a sweety to shoot, just nothing, but jumping on that damned 500 MDM is another story, takes some getting used to after being off it completely a month!!! I am not immune by any stretch to recoil, no superman, nothing like it. Normally shooting anything from 100-200 rounds of bigger bores a week, one gets used to it, and pays it less attention. After being off a month, the 500 MDM gets your attention! It's 8.5 lbs, and even reduced loads of 460 BBW#13s at 2530 fps and 500 gr BBW#13s at 2380 fps does get your attention on the bench. Friday I ended ugly--Saturday I ended up with 500 BBW#13s in the same hole, dead center, 1 inch high! RTG---Almost! Damned scope turned during this time, so I had to come in, loosen the scope, straighten it up, so not sure where I am now? But no worries, I will sort it out. It's time with the 500 MDM to 100% sight it in, test all loads and bullets that are going, and put it to the side, RTG and leave it. Almost ready.

I think this week I will start work on Docs 600 OK too. Starting with low velocity loads, I want low velocity impacts to begin with to check the 825 noncons, and Michael throat as well, before I start working up to my test goal of 2150 or so.

That's it for now. Oh wait, one more item. Have the bastogne blanks in hand now, and almost decided which rifles--One is going on a 500 MDM and the really super stock is going on the "flagship" cartridge that started all this crap, a 50 B&M. One of these, still hanging, maybe 9.3 B&M, maybe 475 B&M, still pondering that one blank?

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still think you need a really neat 9.3, never know when you will need to repel rats and such.
rotflmo

SSR

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I have two rifles that are on the way--No Stocks yet now! A 9.3 B&M built on one of the new SC rifles--First one ever! I suppose we will see how that turns out. It is GunKoted, 20 inch barrel--think I will put it in the stock I have on the stainless gun now, and put the stainless in a Ultimate stock.

Then a new hi polish blue 458 B&M 18 inch, built on a New Haven gun. No stock, but have a claro it will fit in, or maybe a couple of stocks it will fit with. This one is for sale by the way. I think this is one I sent for Stockbroker to have built, then he ended up getting one I had, and I continued to build it anyway. So it's an extra 458 B&M if someone needs one, or wants one???

Should be in by tomorrow.

Cross your stock should get there today, tomorrow latest I think.

Let me know how it does for you!
Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send those blanks in; We can pull off a dining room table no sweat.
Oh, and don't let anyone know I just got a load of maple that puts your stock to shame... well, maybe not shameful, but it's very nice maple...like dining room table leg kinda nice.

SB

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have two rifles that are on the way--No Stocks yet now! A 9.3 B&M built on one of the new SC rifles--First one ever! I suppose we will see how that turns out. It is GunKoted, 20 inch barrel--think I will put it in the stock I have on the stainless gun now, and put the stainless in a Ultimate stock.

Then a new hi polish blue 458 B&M 18 inch, built on a New Haven gun. No stock, but have a claro it will fit in, or maybe a couple of stocks it will fit with. This one is for sale by the way. I think this is one I sent for Stockbroker to have built, then he ended up getting one I had, and I continued to build it anyway. So it's an extra 458 B&M if someone needs one, or wants one???

Should be in by tomorrow.

Cross your stock should get there today, tomorrow latest I think.

Let me know how it does for you!
Michael

Michael:

Could you tell me again what velocity you are getting out of your 9.3 B&M with the 20 inch barrel and a 286 grain bullet?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Hi Dave

Yes, the 9.3 B&M with 286s can run 2500-2550 depending on the bullet. The CEBs I can get to 2550 without issue, others slightly less. Personally I like the 250s for this cartridge/rifle the best, running all from 2650 to 2750 fps depending on the bullet. Barnes TSX and CEB #13s over 2700 and stay under pressure. 250 Accubond to 2750 fps.

It's my new medium for the my future use, I just have not taken it out yet. I think I will take it to Australia next year for some of that buffalo shooting. Get a taste of 9.3 anyway. That 280 BBW#13 Solid will run through a buff end to end I am sure. It's excellent.

Almost have the 500 MDM RTG for June! Just about there!

I wish I had that Horneber brass? Supposed to be on it's way???

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael

Stock got here this AM. Looks great,thunderstorms this afternoon, hopefully will get to try it out tomorrow.

SSR

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Michael

Stock got here this AM. Looks great,thunderstorms this afternoon, hopefully will get to try it out tomorrow.

SSR

Cross

Fit the rifle ok? Fit your short arms OK???

Man I have been catching hell here since Friday getting the rifles ready. Friday, kept noticing that my cross hairs did not look just right on the 500 MDM? After a good session, I noticed the scope had turned in the rings, cross hairs crooked! Damn! OK, straighten scope up--shoot saturday, again, scope turned in the rings.

During this time I was fiddling with RL 10X also, in the 458 B&M. Changed kegs of powder, and learned the new keg was much hotter! All the work I did Saturday with the older keg, out the door! Set up pressure trace again! New keg of RL 10X running 2 grs less in the 458 and 3 grs less in the 500 MDM to get the same pressures and velocity! OK. Lot's of shooting, and wasted time--Not to mention boxes and boxes of CEB BBW#13s going in the hole! POI on the 458 led me back to AA 2520 with most loads anyway! Oh Well!

Take another scope off the other 500 MDM, has been shot many many times, and it did not turn, so I will try it on the rifle I am taking! Scope turned in less than 10 rounds this morning??? OK, take scope out of rings--run sandpaper on the inside of the rings to rough them up some--Don't tell anyone, but I also took a damn punch and ran a few stipples around too! Tired of this crap! Took that scope out, sighted in, very good, shot about 25 rounds or so, did not turn! I would take this one as the spare scope-it's ready.

Now, I put the other scope back on. Rough the rings up, even do some punch work too! Start shooting! Man I don't think the cross hairs are straight. Now I am paranoid about it, and have become somewhat "obsessive" as well! Straighten it up, tighten down, strip the damned base of the rings! Not the screw-the bottom rings! What the hell, strip another one too! OK, back to the drawing board, spare set of rings, scope back on straight, having a bite of lunch now!

Back to the range to see what else I can break, strip, rip and tear!

Damn near got to make an emergency order for more bullets too!

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael

dancing

It feels great dryfiring, short enough so i can work the bolt from the shoulder. Major thunderstorms rolling in so livefire has to wait.

SSR