THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    West Coast DRSS and Big Bore Association Hoot and Shoot
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

West Coast DRSS and Big Bore Association Hoot and Shoot Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Was seeing if Rigby might want to attend the meeting. Craig Boddington I think lives in that area... he might want to come.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well...I am in if its within 3 hours of SF

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
3.5 hours... that is what my gps says but that usually means 3 hours.
It would be great for those in LA and the Bay Area to carpool to make it more enjoyable and less expensive.

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Darn, that's in my backyard but I've had that weekend booked to out of town clients for quite a while. Too bad, it would have been fun to blow the dust off a couple rifles.

Kyler

Posts: 2509 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Folks,

We are tyring to work up different scenarios for the course of fire.

It would be helpful to know who is coming and what they are all bring as far as rifle type:

Bolt, SxS, o/u, and lever as well as caliber.

Please post a reply

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
So is there a real West Coast DR Society? How would one join? Can I participate in the shoot?
SxS DR; Falling Block Singles; 12 bore Paradox

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would really like to attend. I don't have a double but could bring a .416 Rigby and a .375 H&H bolt action. Please let me know more details.

Greg

Posts: 201 | Location: Sonoma, California | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
So is there a real West Coast DR Society? How would one join? Can I participate in the shoot?

The DRSS is in its infancy. You can do a search here to get the low down.

Yes! please come and enjoy hanging out with like minded big bore nuts.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigChev4x4:
I would really like to attend. I don't have a double but could bring a .416 Rigby and a .375 H&H bolt action. Please let me know more details.

Greg

Big bores are big bores be it double or bolt or lever or single shot. Bring em with lots of ammo! BOOM

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike for lending your great depth of experience to this tu2

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:

Don't listen to this upstart.. The real DRSS West Coast has already had several shoots this year! But it's not these southeast wanna be's Wink.. It's up here on the real west coast. Alaska

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Don't be a hater Mr Brooks
The lower 48 WCDRSS BBA might be new but we outnumber you flame

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
So as Mike said, Who's coming?
The shoot will be in the Santa Lucia mountains just west of Paso Robles. It's about 3 hours drive down 101 from San Jose, about 3 1/2 hours drive from LA up THE 5 then west on THE 46.
It will be on my place so we are talking VERY casual. No wanna be Marine Drill Sgt range masters. Dust off those big bores.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the tradition of the Houston Hoot-n-Shoots, just a little fun and an extended BS session.
My .470 and I will be there.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
I will try to make it. Going to disguise this to the wife as a trip for us to my folks condo in Pismo. Very busy that time of year but if I can make it I'll bring a Blaser R93 in 375.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Don't be a hater Mr Brooks
The lower 48 WCDRSS BBA might be new but we outnumber you flame

Hardly a hater Boomy! Just a Razzer! Big Grin

And as far as the numbers.. Big deal! It quality over quanity anyday! tu2

I hope you guys have as much fun as we do!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I will do everyhting I can to get there...

I am not sure what I will bring...

376 Steyr

18x70mm

375hh

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is going to be fun! I think we should franchise it.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
This is going to be fun! I think we should franchise it.

Rich
DRSS

You are right .. please sumbit franchise payment .....

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39714 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Will you take an IOU? Wink

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IOU sounds good to me; I'd much rather owe it to you than try and beat you out of it!

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Looks like we might be blessed with some ultra cool B&M rifles to shoot and ogle.

All franchise fees should be smiles, good times and lots of lead in the air!

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
My Sabatti 500 NE arrived yesterday. I was looking forward to bringing it to the shoot for comments and evaluation. And I am really bummed that I will be in Alaska on the date of the DRSS West Coast meet. Frowner

BTW, it looks very nice with upgraded figured walnut, hand checkering and Oak Leaf & Acorn engraving.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Well maybe the next one for you.
Please post pics of this beauty

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Hey Lion Hunter,
Just let Mike pick it up on the way down and we'll put it through it's paces for you. BOOM

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
And throw in 200 rounds to make it worth our while Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Hey Lion Hunter,
Just let Mike pick it up on the way down and we'll put it through it's paces for you. BOOM

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LionHunter:
And I am really bummed that I will be in Alaska on the date of the DRSS West Coast meet. Frowner
QUOTE]

Drag it up with you and bring lot'sa ammo! We'll be happy to help break it in..

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
guess I will also come I can bring 5 or six doubles up to 577 but will need to know how much ammo to load for each what is the near airport for a 210

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stradling:
guess I will also come I can bring 5 or six doubles up to 577 but will need to know how much ammo to load for each what is the near airport for a 210

Will be great to have you. It would be great see the big doubles like the 577 there. When we get the shooting stations figured out we will know how much to tell people to bring for the course but as Kipling said you can never have enough red wine, books and ammo. I am sure others would want to shoot them if you are open. Once we know all the guns that will show people can buy ammo to shoot in others guns or pay to shoot ammo if so agreed so bring some extra bucks to compensate. One attendee is a future big bore owner but does not have any yet but would love to shoot if someone is open to letting them use their gun.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stradling:

Paso has a nice airport PRB. It's about 3 miles east of town off of hwy 46. That's where I keep my 182. We'll arrange ground transportation.

Have gun- Will travel

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
ok landed there few years ago

will bring 470shooter if I can talk him in to it

he has 2 doubles as well

when we do this kind of a thing I like for folks to try there hand shooting the doubles
will bring

375 flange - 450 400 - 500 ne - 577 ne

could bring a 510 wells bolt action 458 lott

or wildcats in 425 express and 375 & 416 taylors also 375 40 deg imp if folks would like to shootem

may drag along the 378 416 460 weatherbys just for a few extra kicks

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, do I bring the 505 Gibbs or not?

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Yes! And the 550 Gibs with whomper loads to have new inductees! BOOM
I am sure some there would love to feel what 200 lbs of recoil feels like Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
This is not too far from me, but all I have is my little 375, nothing like the big doubles.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Teat Hound:
This is not too far from me, but all I have is my little 375, nothing like the big doubles.

Come! gun or no gun. There will be plenty of guns to shoot.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Boomie and Blacktailer my June work schedule still looks like I'm good for the 26th.

You mentioned a bar-be-que, what can I bring?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Good to hear! Well I'll put a list together of needs once we have a good idea of the number of participants and let people volunteer for items or dishes to bring.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Boomy,
This is what we got up to on the weekend. Started 4 years ago with the 458AccRel trio of me, Short&Fat and paz ... now its what we'd call a 'yippie shoot' with guns and shooting galore.

http: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mVgWGMWNs0&feature=player_embedded

Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow guys, this sounds like a real great get together. I'd love to come up, my work calendar I think is open enough that weekend, just gotta check with the commander when she gets up and make sure personal calendar is open.

I don't have anything on hand (416 taylor won't be done till next year) bigger than my 375, and it's bolt trash anyways, but if you guys want I can bring it. I'd just like to come meet everybody, stare at your sexy rifles, and have a good time. I like me some good drinks and cigars and bbq'n.

You gin drinkers ever try hendricks? it's my latest thing, i hate gin but this stuff is great, had a party a weekend or so ago and it was the first bottle empty. I also make what many consider to be a very fine bbq sauce.

is there camping in the area or we looking at motels?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will this be a sat. only event or will their be something going on Sun.? 900 mile drive for us, will have to leave before dawn to get their in one day. Thanks, JS

Posts: 332 | Location: eastern oregon usa | Registered: 21 February 2010Reply With Quote