THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    West Coast DRSS and Big Bore Association Hoot and Shoot
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

West Coast DRSS and Big Bore Association Hoot and Shoot Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
We are planing on Sat afternoon shoot and BBQ. Mrs Blacktailer says we can use the backyard fire pit for the BBQ and swimming pool as long as we have a 10pm curfew. There are several hotels in Paso Robles which is about 8 miles from my ranch. The nearest one is a Hampton Inn at Hwy101 and 46 West which is only about 6 miles away. There are also a couple of campgrounds with trailer hookups in the area.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Y'all please keep an eye on Rich when he shoots that Gibbs! Flame out of the muzzle will roast those chickens in the hen house!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2kuduhunter:
Will this be a sat. only event or will their be something going on Sun.? 900 mile drive for us, will have to leave before dawn to get their in one day. Thanks, JS

There is plenty to do and see in the area. Maybe there could be a few activities on Sun but not on the ranch. Open to ideas. Maybe a range day and lunch at a local eatery.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
it looks like this might work out well
for me. I am scheduled to be camping at San Simeon that weekend with the family. if I cover for the commander while she kayaks durig the day I should be able to get a pass to come that afternoon. and then I won't be able to drink my usual too much and risk being a fool. Smiler.

how many of you gents are cigar smokers? I'm excited to meet everybody!

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Boomy I sent you a PM

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Cigars? Hell yes!

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Cigars? Hell yes!

I always have some. Smiler

I'm just trying to keep the post on the first page for maximum visibility!

Oh yeah, add one more person to the list, I'm bringing a friend of mine along who is an engraver. He does some work for Rigby there in Paso Robles is curious about the guns that we're all bringing.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
My wife bought us some Hendrick's Gin ...
oh, its horrible..
boycot it
tell you local store to send it back

so i can buy this AMAZINGLY good gin cheaper!

H/T DAgo

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39714 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
We need sombody to bring a 20 ga o/u and a 20 ga sxs both with ejectors...

I will explain later

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hendricks, cigars, good guys, man this sounds like it's gonna be grand, not to mention all the gorgeous guns.

I'll try and remember to bring the wives camera so I can get some pics.

I have in the locker some nub habano's and some isla del sols (flavored cigars, but still good) hopefully those will go over well.

Red

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is plenty to do and see in the area

Both Castoro and Wild Horse Wineries are close. Local Zin is some of the best on Planet Earth.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
did the address already get posted and I missed it? if not would it be possible to have it PM'd to me maybe? I'll just throw it in the map on my iphone and should be able to find the place that way. very excited.

Red

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
We need sombody to bring a 20 ga o/u and a 20 ga sxs both with ejectors...

I will explain later

Mike
I have a little 20 ga citori o/u with ejectors I will toss in. I will firm up if can make it or not soon.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Too all who are coming,
email me and I will give you directions. Your GPS or map software will get you to our mailbox (if you are lucky) which is a mile from the house.
randrmoore@hughes.net
That will also give us a firm idea on how many are coming so we can plan accordingly.
Looking forward to seeing you all and don't worry if you don't have a double, I am bolt rifle trash and proud of it.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Too all who are coming,
email me and I will give you directions. Your GPS or map software will get you to our mailbox (if you are lucky) which is a mile from the house.
randrmoore@hughes.net
That will also give us a firm idea on how many are coming so we can plan accordingly.
Looking forward to seeing you all and don't worry if you don't have a double, I am bolt rifle trash and proud of it.

Email sent. (shameless bump to the top of the board)

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
It would be really helpful to know how many people are coming so I can bring enough game meat for the bbq...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
We are one week out. Would be great to know the yes and maybe list now so we can best prepare.
Thanks and looking forward to a great time!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm in, plus a friend.

Since Mike is generously bringing game meat, I'll bring some side dish like potato or macaroni salad.

(and some extra cigars)

I'm also bringing my LH M70 375H&H in the fancier stock (Thanks to M1 Tanker), unbedded and not sighted in. Big Grin

Frank

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
I’m back in town for about six weeks so am able to make the Hoot & Shoot. I'll try to sweet talk the wife into some cup cakes and gooey butter cake since I’ve not seen any deserts offered up as yet; do we have an approximate attendance count?

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
To all who have received directions via email or PM, there is a MISTAKE in the directions. Following are the CORRECT directions.
So far we have the following attendees. If anyone else can make it PLEASE let us know by posting here.
Blacktailer
Boom Stick
Mike Dettore
Fjold
no splam
Capoward
Dago Red
Sevenxbjt
Idaho Sharpshooter
Sorry for the confusion on the directions but I don't want a bunch of guys with guns showing up at my neighbor's Big Grin
Directions to Blacktailer's
Russ cell 805-423-7413

From LA
Take I5 North
Turn on Hwy46 West to Paso Robles
Turn South on Hwy101 go about 4 miles
Take Hwy 46 West Cambria Hearst Castle exit turn Right go 4 miles
Turn Right on Oakdale go ½ mile
Turn Right on Las Tablas Willow Creek go 1 mile
Turn Right on Niderer Rd go 1 mile
You will see Pipestone Vineyards just past Pipestone
Turn Right on Via Munoz (gravel road) go ¼ mile at the first fork
Bear LEFT go ¼ mile at the next fork take the center road
Go ½ mile up a BIG steep hill when you hit asphalt and see a big green barn
Our house is on the left

From San Francisco
Go South on 101 Take Hwy 46 WEST exit and follow above

From Sacramento
Take I5 South
Turn West on Hwy 41
Turn West on Hwy 46 and follow above

Have gun- Will travel

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
OK Boys,
Mike has generously offered to bring some elk and hog for the BBQ. Capoward has offered to bring green salad. I will make a pot of beans. We still need more side dishes, appetizers, desert and some rolls?
Anybody have any specialties they would like to bring? Of course bring your beverage of choice.
Lets pop some caps! flame

Have gun- Will travel

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I have a bottle of scotch for afterwards that I have been saving for a while.
If you see some wild turkeys roaming around use your fishing net and grab a few @ 40 MPH from the car. I keep seeing them on the side of the road whenever I head to that area. Elk and boar chilli?

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
I am planning on attending. I am trying to contact a friend who lives in northern California, and if I do I will ask him to come as well.

The gun and rifles I will bring:
1ea 12 gauge H&H 'Royal' hammerless ejector Paradox gun with H&H factory loads
1ea 1903 Rigby Farquharson single shot rifle, .450 Rigby (450 NE 3-1/4")
1ea H&H magazine rifle (aka bolt action), .375 H&H Rimless Magnum

I can bring some extra H&H Paradox ammo but only for use in original H&H Nitro-Paradox guns and only for guns that will be shot at this event. If you have a need, please PM me.

I am assuming scopes will not be allowed. Is that correct?

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
I'll be in Vegas with the Fam, but I wish I could make it. I've really been wanting to shoot one of the big 458s.

I'm sure you dudes are going to have a good one.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

My regrets but I was just informed that I have to be in Illinois tonight. I just went home, packed a bag and I'm on my way to the airport. My flight lands in Indianapolis at midnight and then it's an hour and half drive to southern Illinois.

Unfortunately I will not be done until Sunday or Monday so I'm not able to attend the shoot at Blacktailer's place this Saturday.

Wifezilla's not pleased either as our 32nd wedding anniversary is this Friday.

Frank

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Too bad Frank we will miss you. Can you send your avatar in your place?

Have gun- Will travel

one of us
posted Hide Post
I should still be there as long as my wife gets to kayak, if she don't have fun she won't let me. Smiler it'll be me and probably a friend that's camping with me.

I can't really cook anything for it but am very willing to pick something up on the way, or bring something that is non-perishable. you guys let me know what you'd like. If it is something fresh give me an idea please on where to shop?

Am looking forward to meeting all of you.

Red

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
I should still be there as long as my wife gets to kayak, if she don't have fun she won't let me. Smiler it'll be me and probably a friend that's camping with me.

I can't really cook anything for it but am very willing to pick something up on the way, or bring something that is non-perishable. you guys let me know what you'd like. If it is something fresh give me an idea please on where to shop?

Am looking forward to meeting all of you.

Red

Red,
How about some potato salad? If you come in on 46 from Fresno go straight under 101 and you will be on 24th ST. Turn left on Spring ST (2nd light?) and there will be a Scolaris Market on your right at 21st and Spring. When you leave there, continue South on Spring and it will put you on 101 South. Follow the directions from there.

Have gun- Will travel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was planning on the potato salad bit.

What should I bring instead?

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also,, I can't seem to locate the email with the start time. Could you let me know again?

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I think it sounds like you guys are not going to have any time to do any shooting at all!

You will be too busy eating! Is this a picnic or are you actually going to shoot some rifles?

rotflmo

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
A start time would be good to know for those of us driving that morning.

Michael…we West Coasters like to have fun…which includes shooting and eating…sometimes both together...does get complicated though when the wifes aren't taking care of the feeding part! hilbily

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Besides shooting irons and ammo, what should I bring? What is needed?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Start at 2:00
if you want to lend a hand in setting up early that can help a lot too. Side dishes and meat to BBQ are key. Favorite drink and cigars is a bonus if you can. I am bringing a bottle of scotch too.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Boomy

Scotch at a shoot? Now you talking my kind of shooting. Hell I love to drink and shoot! rotflmo The more I drink the better I shoot, or at least I think I shoot better anyway??? HEH! yippie!

I think some of you boys must have roots in South Carolina?

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Scotch for after the shoot only if you survive the charge simulation popcorn

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
I'm bringing the green salad so wife is leaving for the store shortly to pick of a few of the standards dressings...let me know if any special varieties are needed!

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Boomy,
I hope y'all have very enjoyable time at the shoot! Wish I could have made it!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Take lot's of photos and get them posted. We all want to see how this comes out.

have a blast guys!

Boomy, don't send any B&M ammo back, you guys must shoot it up!

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope it rains,snows,hail and Jerry Brown shows up looking for votes!!! I really wanted to be there but just couldn't get er done. Maybe next time. I can hear the guns going off from here.

Posts: 332 | Location: eastern oregon usa | Registered: 21 February 2010Reply With Quote