THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Cutting Edge Bullets: 49-Bore/.500-Caliber/.338LM Improved of 2010 ... 12.7x68Magnum
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting Edge Bullets: 49-Bore/.500-Caliber/.338LM Improved of 2010 ... 12.7x68Magnum Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
An embarassment of riches arrived at my house yesterday.
Wife gave me hell for a while about ordering near 50 pounds or $2000 worth of bullets.
She shut up when I told her I didn't do it,
that the mad scientist, Doc M, who wears black lab coats did it!
I was just flabbergasted by it all.
I reckon I won't have any urgent need of .500-caliber bullets for some time, yet to come:

OH MY GOD...........
LOOK AT ALL THE BULLETS........
CHRISMAS THAT EARLY.........

Just jealous.....had a Dealer here contact CEB to get their .375-320grs Match + some of the .500" cal. Bullets.
Answer: NO SHIPMENT OUTSIDE US.......

Best
2RECON

Posts: 140 | Location: GERMANY | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
But Horneber can ship brass to US?
Things are getting tough in the US. Roll Eyes

I had some fire forming of 49-10 brass today, six pieces flawlessly, watched the Master Gunsmith Rusty McGee do the honors.
I will make dummies for the feed job now.
Shoot some real loads eventually and get Redding dies.
More dummy pictures coming ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
YEah, CEB does not have an Export Permit. May get one later on I think, and still working on maybe going through another exporter. All issues on our side of the pond. I won't forget my buddies outside our borders, so I keep trying to work on that. I think I have Australia and Canada sorted out, with exports there. But not just anywhere else yet.

Some time is all!

Keep us posted RIP--interested in how that rifle is going to function and retain!

Using you as a guinea pig! LOL

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael 2RECON and Michael458.
How did it work out to get that many bullets from the US to Germany?? Any problems?

(meaning - Can I do that Wink)

Ulrik

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
buffalo,
If you are asking about those 50 pounds pictured above, they were shipped from SC to KY, all within the USA. Wink

A la Doc M's MIB extractor headspacing research:

Using the extractor of a Winchester M70 and the rimless-rim of the case for headspace on fireforming:
Just touch off a standard .338LM in a 49-10 chamber.

The .500/.338 Lapua Magnum brass that results ends up 2.707" long.
This extends well beyond the max spec brass length of 2.657", trim to 2.647".
You can see that the fireformed case extends beyond the chamber case mouth, which is about 0.012" longer than the max brass length.
Chamber minimum: 2.669"
Brass maximum: 2.657"

The bright ring in the middle of the neck of this brass is where the original .338LM neck-shoulder junction was, former neck-1.

The beautiful annealing was done by Lapua after they necked it down to .338LM, before I watched Rusty McGee blow it out to .500/.338LM.

Anneal before necking up and after necking down.
The way I remember that is simply to think of .338LM new brass. hilbily

Should be able to neck size this stuff with .500 S&W dies, trim to 2.657", load some bullets for dummies and fireforming at full pressure,
then get proper reloading dies made. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
@RIP,

looking BEAUTIFULL......!!!!
To be honest, my only concern was not to have enough shoulder.
See the pictures, and look how few shoulder a .505 Gibbs has seems to work.
Closing my eyes i see a Mauser Mag Take down in 375+500 Cal............OH BOY´s........

Best
2RECON

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:

2Recon

What's the worry about the shoulder, looks great to me? stir

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
quote:

2Recon

Michael

Shoulder looks good to me. Lots of other skinny shoulders out there besides the POTUS. 10.75 x 68, 500 A2, 505 Gibbs, 666 Teufel ...

tu2

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
quote:

2Recon

Michael

Shoulder looks good to me. Lots of other skinny shoulders out there besides the POTUS. 10.75 x 68, 500 A2, 505 Gibbs, 666 Teufel ...

tu2

500 MDM almost nothing but a ghost shoulder! 50 B&M--NO SHOULDER AT ALL!!!!!!! Yes, this is what I am stirring the pot over---EXTRACTOR--EXTRACTOR--EXTRACTOR---Don't give a damn what the cartridge is, belted, shoulder, rimless shoulder, mouth, don't matter, can't go any further into the chamber, than the "Extractor" will allow it to go! It stops, it ends, it is controlled, by the extractor. OK OK, done preaching, you guys already know this, I was just fishing-----

hilbily

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
(.500) Toronado

Very Powerful ... Big Grin

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
quote:
(.500) Toronado

Very Powerful ... Big Grin

Redneck-----

jumping

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only if it's lifted with Super Swampers ...

Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, my Pop had one of those when it was a new thing. So did Mannix! First front wheel drive on the market, and a muscle car at that.
Not redneck at all, not a pickup truck, afterall. Wink
I appreciate the comparison of that trail blazer to the 49-10. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Hey, my Pop had one of those when it was a new thing. So did Mannix! First front wheel drive on the market, and a muscle car at that.
Not redneck at all, not a pickup truck, afterall. Wink
I appreciate the comparison of that trail blazer to the 49-10. tu2

Yep. Those were some cool old bombers. Great for cruzin' along the GulF Coast in the summer, industrial AC and an assorment of 8-Tracks, all on Paisly sateen seats.

jumping

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes! The 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado was ahead of it's time, and its time has now gone.
425 Cubic Inch V8 cranking 385 BHP in 1966, a "split transmission," torque converter located behind the engine and connecting to the gearbox under the left cylinder bank via a chain drive and sprocket:
Compact drive train all up front, and worked great, near indestructible. Steered well, perfect front/rear weight distribution for a big front-drive car.
It ran quietly at 100 mph and topped out at 135 mph "even with the standard final-drive ratio."
Most outstanding Oldsmobile of the 1960's for sure!
No drive shaft hump in the passenger compartment, plenty of room for happy feet, and 8-Track stereo equipment.
Joe Mannix and my Pop were no ignorant rednecks. beer

Here are the feed dummies for the 49-10:

North Fork 375-grain CP copper: 3.337"
North Fork 450-grain CP copper: 3.351"
SSK/Lehigh 450-grain HP brass: 3.494"
CEB/BBW 500-grain FN brass: 3.258"
North Fork 450-grain FP copper: 3.481"
SSK/Lehigh 510-grain Ogived-FN copper: 3.494"

All of these could be seated to shorter than 3.4" to fit in a standard mauser length box.
Some, and other bullets too, could be seated out to 3.6" and still fit the M70 Winchester box.
Thanks to michael458, Doc M of MIB, for "sample" bullets aplenty!
Thanks to Rusty McGee, Master Gunsmith and Mechanical Engineer for accepting this mission!

Trimmed to 2.647" brass, max brass 2.657".
Loaded brass neck diameter is 0.527", using Lapua brass.
Chamber reamer neck diameter is 0.531": Perfect thumb

I neck-sized the initially foreformed brass using .500 S&W dies.
Then trimmed it with a .495" diameter pilot from Forster, marked ".500" as for the .500 S&W.
Chamfered case mouths with a 50BMG handtool.
Seated spent primers below flush.
A semi-crimp was put on by using the base of a castoff .308 WCF seating die only on the case mouth.

OD of brass neck before seating bullets was .523", and ID was .495".
No puny-thin blown out case neck wall thickness here, it is about 12 or 13 thou per side.
No sign of dreaded donuts yet either ...
Perfect.
Like a 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
@RIP,

LOVE those pictures......BOTH !! Cases + CARS !!

Would like to see the results MV/ME of that 500grs.CEB/BBW one.
Quick-Load, you remenber with the 500grs. Hornady, said 110grs. of VV N-540 to get about 2400fps. So i think startig-load should be about 100grs. from your ??? what 28"BBL ???
Best
2RECON

one of us
posted Hide Post
2RECON,
My barrel has been bobbed to 24", the barrel as shipped from Pac-Nor was indeed 28".
PhotoBucket is down for maintenance, hopefully the photos will be back soon.
Yep I like the idea of anything from 450 to 500 grains at 2400 fps or better.
Should be very manageable.
Rusty is ordering a Williams extractor from Brownells for the M70 feed job ... finer points of the fine tuning are being addressed. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, OK, Photobucket works again. I was one of the last of the 0.20% of users to be restored belatedly from the recent disaster, the first since I've known them.
Oh well, nothing lost but the down time. It's back up now.

Back to the 49/.338 Lapua Magnum:

Rusty McGee has moved into a new shop, near Falls Of The Rough, KY.
He is a mechanical engineer degreed by my alma mater, University of Kentucky, a US Army Veteran, worked last as engineer at Remington R&D, did not own the place like he does now, as gunsmith at his shop.
Once a mechanical engineer, always a mechanical engineer, but all along Rusty has been doing the full range of gunsmithing,
from building flintlock Pennsylvania/Kentucky Long Rifles of finest quality and historical trueness to the various schools,
to general repairs and fixes,
and even building my wildcat rifles and sorting out the feed jobs of rifles built by others for me.
He is a genius Master Gunsmith.

The Williams extractor for the M70 arrived.
Feed job still pending.

I will fire some full power loads and get Redding reloading dies made when Rusty finishes the feed job, on the "Forty-Niner-Naught-Ten" (.500/.338 Lapua Magnum).

Rusty had an empty wall in one corner of his shop and was kind enough to allow storage of my 2001 Botswana trophies.

That is a 42" Cape Buffalo from the Okavango, shoulder mount.
52" Kudu European Mount.
23" Red Lechwe "Ear Mount."

Alas, that is all the skin that was fit to mount, after the trophies sat in quarantine for a year in Francistown, Botswana.
Maybe the salt was bad, it was a budget hunt.
Thus the rest were skull mounts, due to ruined capes:
22" Impala,
28" Blue Wildebeest,
and Warthog.

Just visiting Rusty now and then to check on progress. He has the .395 H&H in the werkes too. tu2

OOPS! "Falls Of Rough" not "Falls Of The Rough." It is only a 3-word community, not a 4-word community, in nice country,
near Rough River Reservoir and State Park, where I learned to swim when I was nine years old. hilbily

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know it's too late to do you any good, but I'm much taken by this head down mount.

http://www.jonasbrotherstaxidermy.com/services.php

And it doesn't take much cape.

Maybe it'll help someone else.

coffee

one of us
posted Hide Post

That is nice, and compact, very well fit for filling a wall with many buffalo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay,
Even Peter Sellers could not put a shine on that bit of cow patty, or moose nugget, or whatever it was ... that was bad, really bad. holycow

Actually the local taxidermist did a bull moose with blue eyes for a local Pizzery & Brewery, Turoni's, in Evansville, IN.
On your birthday it will sing to you in the voice of Frank Sinatra, Ol' Blue Eyes.
He also did a turkey that sings like Elvis for the cross-town location.
animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talking Turkey ..?? Really?

Is the second location a Chinese restaurant?

jumping

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
RIP

Thank you for the 500 Mbogo data and blessings on the 49 Lapua project.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
416 Tanzan,
You might be the second person in the world interested in the 500 Mbogo?
It is a perfected cartridge,
blooded in Tanzania,
perfect match of reamer, dies, brass, for a CZ 550 Magnum action.
It is released to the gun trade. Have at it. Big Grin
The first shot at game was recorded by Bwana V, working for Saeed:

http://www.accuratereloading.com/2009/2010ronbuf.wmv

Back to the 49-10, being fitted with this Williams M70 part:

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 49/.338LM aka .500 Tornado QuickLoaded to stay below 63,000 psi in a 24" barrel:

Benchmark (107.3 grains)(100% fill)
450-grain North Fork CP at 3.550" COL >>> 2650 fps and 7015 fpe

Benchmark (107.1 grains)(100% fill)
450-grain North Fork FP at 3.481" COL >>> 2648 fps and 7007 fpe

Benchmark (97.5 grains)(101% fill)
500-grain CEB DGBR BBW FN at 3.400" COL >>> 2464 fps and 6739 fpe

H335 (101.4 grains)(94% fill)
500-grain CEB DGBR BBW FN at 3.400" COL >>> 2513 fps and 7011 fpe

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Am I assuming correctly that the 49 Lapua and 49 Acc Rel are approximately the same cartridge, .498" bullets?

On bullet availability, wouldn't it be better for someone like Cutting Edge to do a run of .498" rather than swage .500" bullets?

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
For RIP,

the concept of a ".510" Rigby" is a natural, similar to the belted A-square and Wells.

Are you telling me that you are the only one currently using a ".510 Rigby" Mbogo?
Did you get the debated/unnecessary 'sporting registration'?
Or is that part of the reason for your 49 Lapua?

I had seen the video you mentioned. It was expecially gratifying to see the buffalo go back on his back legs from the impact. That hit him hard. It looks like a great buffalo cartridge. The video didn't show the recoil clearly, but it looked pretty smooth if wanting to get a second shot ready.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:

Q: Am I assuming correctly that the 49 Lapua and 49 Acc Rel are approximately the same cartridge, .498" bullets?

A: The 49/.338LM is a "490-bore" using .500" bullets same as the .500 MDM, .50 B&M and .500 S&W.
The .498-caliber bullets are for Jeffeosso's 49 AccRel.
Not my "Forty-niner Aught Ten."
Hey, if the old .510-caliber cartridges are .500-bore/.510-groove and shoot .510-caliber bullets, and are called "Fifties" (50 BMG) or "Five Hundreds" (500 NE),
it only makes sense to call the .490-bore/.500-grooved rifle a "Forty-Nine" or "Four Ninety."
The Pac-Nor .500 barrel is bored closer to .491", for the end user, not for the tight pressure test barrel.
The 49/.338LM (.500 Tornado) brass is indeed very similar to the 500 AccRel and 49 AccRel:
all are about 2.65" in case length and based on either the .416 Rigby or.338 Lapua Magnum brass: Rigby-headed all.

Q: On bullet availability, wouldn't it be better for someone like Cutting Edge to do a run of .498" rather than swage .500" bullets?

A: No. Sizing readily available bullets from .500" to .498" is easy.
I had to size-down the .GSC HVs from .512" to .510" for my .500 Mbogo.
A 30-dollar Lee bullet sizing-push-through die and some STP automotive oil treatment as lube will do the trick. Thanks to prof242 for that tip on the lube.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For RIP,

the concept of a ".510" Rigby" is a natural, similar to the belted A-square and Wells.

Are you telling me that you are the only one currently using a ".510 Rigby" Mbogo?

Though John Buhmiller may have done a .510/.416 Rigby before 1950 (???), and Dave Estergaard toyed with the idea of necking up his 470 Mbogo in the late 1990s, yours truly (RIP) is the only known owner and shooter of the unique "500 Mbogo 3-Inch." A second 500 Mbogo has been languishing with a very busy third-year medical student/gunsmith since last fall. It has a Pac-Nor 1:9" twist barrel, yet to be tried out.

Did you get the debated/unnecessary 'sporting registration'?

No.

Or is that part of the reason for your 49 Lapua?

No.

I had seen the video you mentioned. It was expecially gratifying to see the buffalo go back on his back legs from the impact. That hit him hard. It looks like a great buffalo cartridge. The video didn't show the recoil clearly, but it looked pretty smooth if wanting to get a second shot ready.

The 500 Mbogo is about 5 grains bigger in case capacity than the 500 A2, and about 5 grains smaller than the 500 Jeffery.
It does have some advantages over both of those, at least in my mind.
It is a legend in my own mind, even if not a legend in its own time.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I assuming correctly that the 49 Lapua and 49 Acc Rel are approximately the same cartridge, .498" bullets?
NO .. .500 in RIPs round, a 50 caliber, .498 in mine, a 49 caliber .. and yes, in my opinion, .002 makes a difference ..
quote:

On bullet availability, wouldn't it be better for someone like Cutting Edge to do a run of .498" rather than swage .500" bullets?

"better"? it would cost thousands to have a production run made, once -- vs 130 bucks for a draw die that can handle solid copper bullets...

On the 500 Mbogo - please recall that the 470mbogo techincally uses proprietary brass of 3", vs the ~2.95 you can get from straightening a rigby case .. and if .002 matters, then 25 times that certainly does. Therefore, a 500 mbogo, by specification, is unique compared to a 510 x rigby.

there's been a couple attempts at .510xrigby .. rip has the first 2 rifles in 500 mbogo .. just as i have the first .510xrigby short ...

which will become the first of the true 49 calibers (sorry hijack your thread, RIP) that is not a .500 anything, and would therefore be outside legal grounds of a .500 restriction.

like a lawmaker would know the difference in a 50bmg or a 500 smith -- but 500 has got to be bigger and badder, right?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
NO .. .500 in RIPs round, a 50 caliber, .498 in mine, a 49 caliber .. and yes, in my opinion, .002 makes a difference ..
quote:
. . .

. . .

On the 500 Mbogo - please recall that the 470mbogo techincally uses proprietary brass of 3", vs the ~2.95 you can get from straightening a rigby case .. and if .002 matters, then 25 times that certainly does. Therefore, a 500 mbogo, by specification, is unique compared to a 510 x rigby.

there's been a couple attempts at .510xrigby .. rip has the first 2 rifles in 500 mbogo .. just as i have the first .510xrigby short ...

which will become the first of the true 49 calibers (sorry hijack your thread, RIP) that is not a .500 anything, and would therefore be outside legal grounds of a .500 restriction.

like a lawmaker would know the difference in a 50bmg or a 500 smith -- but 500 has got to be bigger and badder, right?

OK, some of this is making sense, some of it isn't.
I understand that the 49 AccRel will be .498" instead of .500".

So far so good.

But on cases, the 500 Mbogo and 500 Acc Rel already have availability through Quality Cartridge, Yes?

If so, then a 2.95" resized "510Rigby" would be irrelevant
(unless cannibalizing some rounds in Africa. That might oughta work since the 458 Winnie can be shot safely in a 458 Lott. I've cannibalized many a round in Africa in my day, but in much lesser calibres. 0.002" diameter means much more to me than 0.05" at the case mouth. The former could probably mess up accuracy nicely with 'blow-by' and bullet-shimy down the barrel, while the case length would mainly contribute to potential erosion at the end of the chamber.)

Normally, a person would just buy headstamped cases for either cartridge.

And both cartridges use the "standard" .510" bullets.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

And both cartridges use the "standard" .510" bullets.

You can get headstamped brass from qualcart.

500 tornado uses .500 bullets, and is still a 50
the accrel is going to NOT be a 50 .. only just, but when it comes to regs, not is not.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey! The SAAMI MINIMUM spec for the .500 S&W barrel is this:

.4880" bore dia.
.4983" groove dia.
Twist: 18.75"
6 grooves

My Pac-Nor stainless Super Match Pac-Nor No. 6 Sporter Contour, 6-groove, 1:12" twist slugs thusly at first blush/crush/guesstimation with a muzzleloader ball of lead:

.4915" bore/land dia.
.5000" groove dia

Tricky revolver that .500 S&W:
Rifle pressure (62Kpsi) and bullets bigger than groove diameter, and frog-hair's thickness cylinder gap.
And zero brass case taper, and only 0.0012" taper per inch of chamber! nilly

Luckily the .530" max brass diameter becomes actual .526" diameter straight cylinder in loaded ammo.
And the chamber tolerance is +.004",
so .008" extra slop is allowed by tolerances.

Above reworded from a contribution elsewhere by me, recapping:
Interesting.
Obviously the .500 S&W works for extraction, of the short (1.625") case that is straight cylindrical 0.530" diameter MAX from just in front of extractor groove, all the way to the case mouth.

I measured some CBC factory .500 S&W loaded ammo and it is 0.526" diameter straight cylinder.

According to the SAAMI drawing, the chamber MIN tapers from .5328" near base to .5312" at 1.500" forward of the breech face.
Then on down to .5310" at the chamber case mouth, neck diameter.

BUT: There is that tolerance note on the CHAMBER:
"Unless otherwise noted all dia. +.004" (0.10mm)
Length Tol. +.010" (0.25mm)"

Chambers must be polished smooth, jawohl, and polished to a +.004" extra clearance.

Agree with 2RECON.

My concern with no-taper case would be poorer feeding and no slop for grunge in field/practical conditions, if there is little clearance.

.500 S&W is further odd in having .4880" bore and .4983" grove.
Grooves designed to be smaller than bullet diameter!

The chamber throat is like a 5-degree shotgun forcing cone from .531" diameter down to .5000" diameter over a run of 0.1773", then .5000" parallel-sided to the cylinder-face/barrel-face with minimum gap.

That is a tricky revolver!!!

Could be .008" of extra clearance with minimum brass and maximum chamber diameters within tolerances.

Jeffeosso:
.4983" groove diameter, does it already exist in .500 S&W factory barrels?
Or is that just the minimum tight pressure barrel?

My Pac-Nor barrel seems to be .4915"/.5000".

OK, Jeffeosso,
The end-user "loose"/safe barrels for .500 S&W will be called .492"bore/.500"groove.
SAAMI minimum spec for .500 S&W barrels is .4880"bore/.4983" groove.

Somebody has made your barrel before, "almost," for lab testing at SAAMI at least.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 49/.338LapuaMagnum aka Forty Nine Aught Ten aka .500 Tornado is shop mule ready!
I'll be fully fireforming brass with some hot loads and getting dies made next.

Rusty McGee, Master Gunsmith and University of Kentucky Degreed Mechanical Engineer is a perfectionist.
Feed job: They all feed fast.
The CEB BBW FN nose profile and SSK/Lehigh ogived FN dummies feed slick fast or slow, long or short COL.
The North Fork FP and CP will hang up a little if fed slowly as molasses in winter, but bump on in if fed briskly.
However, seating the North Forks deeper slicks it up even on the slow feed.

The windowed RUM box was windowed a bit more by Rusty.
Minor shaping, beveling, and polishing, of rails, ramp, breech face, and extractor cut were done.
A Williams extractor was perfectly fitted to the M70 bolt face opened up to Lapua/Rigby size.

The thusly rigged magazine box will hold almost three down, and closing the bolt CRF's the top cartridge into chamber, leaving two cartridges resting comfortingly in the magazine for rapid repeat fire.

Our own I Bin Therbefor, John Poparad, got the news at the same time as I did.
He and the Missus attended the Corvette Show in Bowling Green, KY Saturday, then drove an hour and a half north to visit at Rusty's shop.
The lovely Lady Jane, Sweetheart to IBT for forty-nine years, was also in attendance for the christening of the new baby, the first fully functional49/.338 Lapua Magnum.
Numerologically an excellent omen: Forty-Niners

Mrs. IBT wants Mr. IBT to buy a Corvette so he will quit whining about not having one!
Now that is some tactic Mr. IBT has been working on Mrs. IBT.
I hope he has not been whining for all those 49 years! Wink

Left, John, right, Rusty, center, 49-10:
(Behind John's left ear is the .395 H&H in the works, just under 7 pounds in Brown Precision Pounder stock.)

Jane and John:

Near Falls of Rough, KY:

The shop side of the building:

Lucretia Borgia the .50-70 Needle Gun is being rehabilitated.
She just needs her 1866 vintage wood repaired, and a muzzle crown. She will ride and shoot again! thumb

Rusty has his own 100-yard range for work and recreation on one of his land holdings. Picnic table too, for Rendezvous, or waiting your turn to shoot:

Rusty's youngest son Austin is a chip off the old block, he was tutoring high school students in algebra while he was in the eighth grade,
and he is an apprentice gunsmith, already hand making some beautiful knives:

Range Officer Rusty observing me shooting his straight-pull Swiss Army Rifle, K31?
It is sub-MOA for three shots at 100 yards, with surplus military ball ammo:

Rusty shoots a .223 M700, and then spots the 100-yard target:

An old double-fireplace chimney still stands on Rusty's land. It needs reclamation by having a log cabin built around it:
It might be as old as an 1866 Needle Gun:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jane and I enjoyed the hospitality and fellowship. It's always nice to put faces and voices and names together.

Ask for my famous technique, it doesn't always work but it's the martyr approach, "I'll scarifice my Corvette for the good of the family". Of course, it only works when your spouse really loves you and that love includes wanting you to be happy. You also have to be a bit of an opportunist, as in, "Why don't I have Rusty build me a 395 Ruger Max instead of spending all that money on a Corvette"? Before you ask, no we're not there yet, but I'm working on it. Jane's famous come back is, what are you going to do with it if you get it(whatever it is that I'm scarificing for the good of the family at that time). She asks that question because after 49 years of marriage and having known each other sence she was nine and I was thirteen, she knows there's always a plan behind the plan, as in, I need the 395 Ruger Max for the African hunt I'm planning. dancing

one of us
posted Hide Post
IBT,
It was really nice meeting you two. Jane has got to be a saint, putting up with 49 years of martyrdom on your part. Wink
Why do you "need" a Corvette?
The obvious choice is the .395 Ruger Max and a safari, and Saint Jane shall accompany you for good luck!
Rusty built my .395 Max, he can build one for you too. Max, prof242 got first blood with his,
Colorado elk, Colorado gunsmith. His buddy has one too. So your would be the fourth.

Just mail (USPS preferred by Rusty) your Ruger M77 MkII or Hawkeye donor rifle,
or hand deliver it, like I do.
I am close enough to check on progress frequently.
Now that Rusty has "retired" to full-time gunsmithing, he is very prompt.

If the reamers get dull, I will have them sharpened by Dave Manson or Dave Kiff, wherever they originated.

Some other wildcats that Rusty can do with my reamers, or some of his that used to belong to me, and others of his that I do not even know about:

49/.338 Lapua Magnum
500 Mbogo
.395 Tatanka
.395 H&H
.395/400 Nitro Express 3" Aboriginal
and many more wildcat and standards too numerous for me to recall, like ...
.35 Brown-Whelen
.416 Taylor
.500 A-Square
.404 Dakota
.404 Jeffery
.375 Ruger
.375 Weatherby Magnum

Dave Kiff (PT&G) reamers:
.338 Lapua Magnum
300 Lapua Magnum
12 Gauge 3.5 "
12 Gauge From Hell 3.85"
20 Gauge Hellboy 3.5"
et cetera, et cetera ...
It would take some study to list them all. nilly

one of us
posted Hide Post
I want to test Saeed's favorite scope (2.5x-8x Leupold) on the 49/.338LM "Forty-Nine Ought Ten," aka .500 Tornado.
Spray paint is Krylon, to cover all the scratches on the gloss black scope, taken off a .358 STA.

The dry weight rifle is just 1/2 ounce under 8 pounds.Call it 8 pounds even.
With scope and rings, it is exactly 9.0 lbs.

The Torx 6x48 Leupold QRW base screws were converted to 8x40 stainless slot-head screws.
And JB Weld epoxy "glass beds" the bases to receiver. thumb

Verified: 8-groove Pac-Nor rifling, 1:12" twist, 0.785" diameter at the 24" muzzle,
No.6 Pac-Nor sporter contour, stainless super match barrel.

Breaking News!!!

Usama Been Hiding aka Osama Bin Laden is dead ...
Killed in Pakistan ...
Yes, I listen to Fox News TV while posting. patriot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fire fight today by U.S. Special Ops, boots on the ground, killed Usama Bin laden. Big Grin

The M70 Winchester has a 0.7" (0.695") bolt diameter just like a Standard or Magnum Mauser, CZ 550 Medium or Magnum, Dakota 76, etc.
You have to use a Granite Mountain with 0.750" bolt diameter to get a bigger bolt face, etc.

Bolt diameter ia a non-issue with the Rigby/Lapua case head.
Actual as-manufactured brass rim diameter is 0.585" to 0.586" for either .338 LM or .416 Rigby, just measured the Norma made stuff for giggles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Posted on the gunsmithing forum looking for some pointers on bottom metal:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...9411043/m/9291070651

For now, I am happy as a pig in slop, with my 3-shooter.
It will close the bolt on 3-cartridges-down in .338 Lapua Magnum, and feed them slickly from the magazine.
Only 2-down and one in the chamber for 49/.338LM.

Fired some more brass yesterday, still just the initial fireforming.
Next will be some hot loads for sharpened-shoulder brass, for Redding to make dies.

The shop mule works. Hee haw. hilbily