Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 winchester magnum Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Egad! Less than 20 inches of barrel on a .458 Win. Mag! That would be like female circumcision! Genital mutilation!
The opposite of gilding the lilly! Wipes the lipstick off the pig!
Makes a sow's ear out of a silk purse!

I must admit that besides Finn Aagaard my rifle tendencies were probably most influenced by Ross Seyfried who only became a "blowhard" IMHO
after he came out of the closet as a .458 Win. Mag. hater.
Possibly a personality change of early dementia?

In his December 1990 G&A article "A Professional's Rifle" he wrote this:

"Barrel length also works into the formula. I personally do not favor very short barrels. A 24-inch barrel, possibly an extreme minimum of 22 inches,is right for me. I don't find that a shorter barrel helps much in the brush and it can again make the front of the rifle difficult to 'feel.' Many of the early British and European sporters had long, slender 26 to 30-inch barrels. While they may have carried barrel length to an extreme, in open country they are absolute delights to shoot."

I concur. Heck, Dan'l Boone's rifle "Tick Licker" and Davy Crockett's "Ol' Betsy" had barrels about 40 inches long.
And they made do in southern vegetation much thicker than any northern spruce thicket. Cane breaks and blackberry thickets, etc.
My heroes! Wink

Ross Seyfried's comment about "feel" of the front of the rifle refers to balance, discussed on the page previous to the above quote.
Quote:

"A major aspect of a shootable rifle is its balance. If the arm is too light on the barrel end it becomes 'invisible' to your muscles. You cannot tell where the rifle is pointed. A barrel-heavy rifle is dull and slow to respond to your commands. Adding a very heavy barrel to a rifle as an attempt to reduce felt recoil can backfire. These ill-balanced arms arms often seem to slap me harder under recoil while feeling clubby, where a rifle weighing a pound less but perfectly balanced is quick to point and doesn't seem to wallow in its own recoil. A rifle that is balanced nicely should have its center of gravity near the front guard screw (sic, he shows a picture of himself balancing a Rigby on one finger, on the front action screw, captioned: 'The author's classic Rigby rifle balances perfectly -- at a point just ahead of the magazine well.'). If you need more weight to combat recoil, be sure to add it both fore and aft, maintaining the balance. A mixture of #9 lead shot and epoxy makes perfect ballast."

Ross in his prime sure had a way with words.
Muscles could both see and feel.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
Plump simple ! jumping

It took exactly 44 pages to prove what all have said all along ! The 458 Win loaded with a 500 gr bullet caliber depth just does not have enough powder space...... so now you play around by loading less than caliber depth Roll Eyes

As a old Indian once said.... its only a white man that can cut a piece off one end of a blanket, sew it to the other side and claim he now has a longer blanket Wink

Fact is any metallic cartridge only has X amount of ( gross) space available for a charge mass. No more, subtract the space occupied by the projectile and you have the Net space available for the charge... no more.

Common wisdom chooses at least one caliber length of neck purchase. Especially with big recoil big bore.

No rocket science this ! Confused

ALF,
Roll Eyes
It was a a re-cap of what has been said in the earlier pages of the thread, for a doubting Thomas.
horse
You still avoid acknowledgement of the good ju-ju of the throat.
Accidental genius by Winchester engineers?
Alien technology from a UFO?
ALF: Alien Life Form.
That's it! Alf invented the .458 Win. Mag., and is just playing ignorant.
You remain blissfully ignorant by choice, eh?
Still no other throat like it known to man?
Thanks for the reply.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Egad! Less than 20 inches of barrel on a .458 Win. Mag! That would be like female circumcision! Genital mutilation!
The opposite of gilding the lilly! Wipes the lipstick off the pig!
Makes a sow's ear out of a silk purse!

I must admit that besides Finn Aagaard my rifle tendencies were probably most influenced by Ross Seyfried who only became a "blowhard" IMHO
after he came out of the closet as a .458 Win. Mag. hater.
Possibly a personality change of early dementia?

In his December 1990 G&A article "A Professional's Rifle" he wrote this:

"Barrel length also works into the formula. I personally do not favor very short barrels. A 24-inch barrel, possibly an extreme minimum of 22 inches,is right for me. I don't find that a shorter barrel helps much in the brush and it can again make the front of the rifle difficult to 'feel.' Many of the early British and European sporters had long, slender 26 to 30-inch barrels. While they may have carried barrel length to an extreme, in open country they are absolute delights to shoot."

I concur. Heck, Dan'l Boone's rifle "Tick Licker" and Davy Crockett's "Ol' Betsy" had barrels about 40 inches long.
And they made do in southern vegetation much thicker than any northern spruce thicket. Cane breaks and blackberry thickets, etc.
My heroes! Wink

Ross Seyfried's comment about "feel" of the front of the rifle refers to balance, discussed on the page previous to the above quote.
Quote:

"A major aspect of a shootable rifle is its balance. If the arm is too light on the barrel end it becomes 'invisible' to your muscles. You cannot tell where the rifle is pointed. A barrel-heavy rifle is dull and slow to respond to your commands. Adding a very heavy barrel to a rifle as an attempt to reduce felt recoil can backfire. These ill-balanced arms arms often seem to slap me harder under recoil while feeling clubby, where a rifle weighing a pound less but perfectly balanced is quick to point and doesn't seem to wallow in its own recoil. A rifle that is balanced nicely should have its center of gravity near the front guard screw (sic, he shows a picture of himself balancing a Rigby on one finger, on the front action screw, captioned: 'The author's classic Rigby rifle balances perfectly -- at a point just ahead of the magazine well.'). If you need more weight to combat recoil, be sure to add it both fore and aft, maintaining the balance. A mixture of #9 lead shot and epoxy makes perfect ballast."

Ross in his prime sure had a way with words.
Muscles could both see and feel.
tu2
Rip ...

Again , kind of a specialty situation .
When the first time a problem can be seen is 4 rifle lengths away, long barrels don't help. Lots of snort in a relatively precise area is what's needed. At least that has been my experience.
For a hunting rifle, a bit of muzzle hang is nice.
A friend's Remington 700 Custom Shop 416 has just the right amount of muzzle hang to make accurate offhand shooting relatively easy. To the point that I've watched him center punch clay pigeons at 200 meters off hand.
But then I've done some good shooting with the Spruce King from time to time. But the most important shooting was done at such close range that sights of any kind weren't all that important. But, they weren't a hindrance either.
The other thing that helps mitigate recoil is a good noisey muzzle brake. Keeps the muzzle down and blows the rain and sweat drops off the glasses all at the same time. tu2

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Big Grin RIP you remind me of the dude who has a hard on for the only girl in town never mind that she has a snaggle tooth Roll Eyes
Man you got get out a bit and savour the fair out there.

One thing I have to say though I admire your persistence !

So by this analogy should we shoot 38 specials loaded long off course from a 375 gun ? what about a 38 special from a 375 Maximum ? or what if we load long on the 375 from a 375 maximum?

Alf means ".357" wherever he typed "375" above.

Or we can go 450 3 inch express and go long on the 458 win...... still in contention ?

Just pondering the options popcorn

And from Alf's ".416 Ruger Snake Oil" thread:

quote:
ha caught them all Snake oil salesmen ! Big Grin Big Grin

Just like RIP's 458 thing ! Roll Eyes

Now if you Mcgiver the Ruger with a 300 ,320 this and that but never a 400 gr shame then this suddenly becomes the best thing since David converted his slingshot to a 38 special.

The same applies to RIP's 458..... not a peep about the 500 gr, always something less, 400 or 350 perhaps, not to forget loaded long then of course it becomes next years long range plinker dancing

Now back where I hail from the rules of the game were simple ! 400 gr for the 40 class and 500 gr for the 458 class ! and loaded 1 caliber depth, bullets of this weight love a little loving about the neck. Especially those poor bastards sitting in the mag all the time ! This is where hammer strikes the anvil !

Thanks for the reply Alf, supplemented by the other thread.

You totally fail at addressing the throat of the .458 Winchester Magnum.
I was just kidding about you inventing it back in 1956.
You were still in diapers then, weren't you?

You seem to need education on this.
Do you not understand how I have not had any pressure signs when loading the 500-grain TSX with 83.0 grains of AA-2230 at 3.780" COL
for 2342 fps MV in a 24-7/8"-long CZ .458 barrel,
chambered for .458 Win. Mag?
Yep, plus-6000-ft-lbs., and not bad accuracy,
but it is a bugholer if you find the accuracy node for your rifle.
Mine was at 2250 fps.

Do you know nothing about the effects of throat on internal ballistics?
Let us stick to pressure effects first of all, and worry about accuracy issues later.
I am serious.

Here is the Western Powders Handloading Guide Edition 1 (2017) data on the .458 Lott versus the .458 Win!Mag!
Read it and think about your selective ignorance:

No compressed powder with any of the loads here,
and the AA-2230 load with 500-grainer is limited to 3.305" COL in the .458 Win. Mag.

To get any significant advantage, the .458 Lott has to go longer in COL and step up to low-60K-PSI,
instead of the low-50K-PSI of the shortCOL .458 Win. Mag.

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Hot Lott, WinnieMag Winnebago.

Me thinks you're discussing the 308 vs 30-06 at times. Now what could a 308 do with a long leade? What could a 30-06 do with a long leade?

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:

For a hunting rifle, a bit of muzzle hang is nice.
A friend's Remington 700 Custom Shop 416 has just the right amount of muzzle hang to make accurate offhand shooting relatively easy. To the point that I've watched him center punch clay pigeons at 200 meters off hand.
But then I've done some good shooting with the Spruce King from time to time. But the most important shooting was done at such close range that sights of any kind weren't all that important. But, they weren't a hindrance either.
The other thing that helps mitigate recoil is a good noisey muzzle brake. Keeps the muzzle down and blows the rain and sweat drops off the glasses all at the same time. tu2

CTF,

Very interesting that you mention clay pigeons at 200 yards with an M700 .416 Rem. Mag.
Here is Ross Seyfried, in a picture from the article quoted above, busting a double in sporting clays with his
M700 .416 Rem. Mag. "Professional Rifle." Wink

It is a rework of a factory barreled action, 24" barrel.
He had about a pound turned off the barrel, and about a pound taken off by restocking with a Brown Precision.
It must be about 7.5 pounds after addition of Bondo to raise the comb to where he felt best with irons and scope.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
Hot Lott, WinnieMag Winnebago.

Me thinks you're discussing the 308 vs 30-06 at times. Now what could a 308 do with a long leade? What could a 30-06 do with a long leade?

Mighty lame, but about as good as can be expected from the anti-four-five-eight lunatics.
Thanks for the reply.
We await Alf's detractions from the throat of the .458 Win. Mag.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bingo! Page 45.

I have a file of Ross's writings dating back to June 1986.
I have been reviewing them and finding startling signs of incipient dementia developing early in his career as a gunwriter.
These are his disparaging remarks about the .458 Win. Mag. occuring prior to his meltdown in January 2004 when he wrote "In Defiance of the .458 Winchester."

I trained as a psychiatrist for a year and a half of that residency, until I noted that I scored better on the "In-Service Training Examination"
than even the fourth-year residents (scores were posted by ID number and I scanned the entire list to see how I stacked up),
and noting that one child psychiatry professor had hung himself, and a 4th-year chief resident overdosed on Elavil while I was there,
I figured I knew all there was to be learned there about "psychiatry," and so moved on to another
medical specialty.

So, I feel well equipped to analyze Ross's slip from a grasp on reality.
Documenting it will provide many more replies to this thread.
Onward to page 304 and beyond.

I will not be building a .458 Win. Mag. based on a factory-barreled M700,
but a 7.0-pound Winchester M70 3.6"-Boxer is an interesting proposition:
No.4 sporter and Brown Pounder.
My face is fat enough that I will not have to put Bondo on the comb.
That will save some weight.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
G&A October 1999 "Common or Custom?"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rifle 185, September-October 1999: "A Professional's Rifle"

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
So does dementia work in reverse?

quote:

For my adult hunting life, mostly Africa-based, I have never understood the place for a 308 Winnie. The -06 had 30-cal covered, and the 300's were around to blow up lightweight cup and core bullets. Both could do a job with 180's and 200's.

And now I'm thinking of getting a Kimber Hunter 308 for the grandkids.
Go figure! popcorn

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So does dementia work in reverse?

quote:

And now I'm thinking of getting a Kimber Hunter 308 for the grandkids.
Go figure! popcorn

416 Tanzan,

Hmm, I see, have a lie-down on the office sofa there and tell me about your concerns regarding "reverse dementia."
Did your mother love the .308 WCF?
I had a Kimber Montana .308 WCF.
It had a 1:12" twist barrel, shot OK with 150-grain bullets, but nothing heavier.
Maybe they have learned to use a faster twist on the Hunter?
Now, look at my pocket watch swinging like a pendulum before you ...
you are getting drowsy ...
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
It's morning, here.
And yes, the Kimber Hunter now uses a 10" twist for all the good and new bullets.

But for grandkids I'll probably have light loads of 130gnTTSX at about 2600-2800fps and then something heavier and more robust for adult hunters.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Descent of Ross Seyfried into Defiance of the .458 Winchester

This chronicle begins with a bit of irony.
In GUNS & AMMO/JUNE 1986 Ross Seyfried "wrote large" about the 1967 wildcat by Elmer Keith and R.W. (Bob) Thomson.
Article title:
KING of the LONG-RANGE MAGNUMS
.338-378 KT

The blurb in large type below the title:
This mighty wildcat shoots flatter than a .270 ... with more wallop than a .458!"
And the first paragraph of the article begins like a joke about two guys and a unicorn walking into a bar:
"If someone walked up to you and said they had a rifle with the same muzzle energy as the .458 Winchester, that would hit with more 'punch' than a .375 H&H and had the same trajectory as a 7mm Remington Magnum at 600 yards, your reply of, 'I doubt it,' wouldn't be unexpected."

So which is it, "more wallop than a .458," or "the same muzzle energy as the .458 Winchester," hmm?
This is a slightly mixed message. Does it signify an early ambivalence?

So we see that early in his writing career Ross Seyfried might have seen the .458 Winchester Magnum as a powerful cartridge, a standard of power by which to evaluate other cartridges.
Or was this a subtle disparagement of the .458 Winchester Magnum's trajectory?
Might this signify the nascent love-hate relationship that eventually blossomed into full-blown defiance?
coffee
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Dude, that was one of my favorite articles.
Dreamed of building one, got a 416 Rigby instead. Bouya.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Made it to 45, now the march to 50!!

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So , I'm waiting to hear back from NightForce as to whether the NX8 will stand up to the 458.
It has 3.75" of eye relief. And a nice short length from the power ring to the back end of the eye piece. Full mil/mil or moa/moa reticle and turrets. And ! It only weighs 17 oz . This may be an expensive discovery for me. 1 for the Spruce King . 1 for the 375 Ruger Guide Gun and 1 for the Kimber 338.
Tho most of the time I won't need to be ranging with the reticle. It happens often enough that I don't want to be without that ability. Would be nice to have the identical reticle as the SWFA 1-4×24 SS Classic . Course, if that SWFA had 4" of constant eye relief I wouldn't be having this trouble.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
RIP,

You wouldn't mind posting the entire G&A article of Ross's .416 would you? For "book review" purposes of course. Big Grin

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
CTF:
from another thread:

The Nikon Inline 3-9, parallax at 100yards, and the Nikon Slughunter 3-9, parallax at 75yards, are the toughest scopes I know.
Set them at "3" in the forest, and crank up to "9" if you need a 300 yard shot. Eye-relief throughout both scopes is 5 inches.

If you want an illuminated reticle, you will need to go to the Nikon 24mm scopes. A little heavier and bulkier, but good for a bright dot.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
posted Hide Post
16, 17 oz isn't really bulky.
And it has 4" of eye relief.
https://swfa.com/nikon-1-4x24-...mm-riflescope-1.html
It has a nice reticle also. If it can stand up to the recoil. It would make a good spare scope at least.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rip,
Do you really think your post is valid, most of us that have hunted a lot, HAVE CHANGED OUR MIND, Is that not allowed anymore...Im sure like Ross, you have done a few turn arounds in opinions concerning hunting and guns, I sure have and for instance Ive changed my mind as to hunting style, scopes, calibers, Ive changed and contradicted myself on guns in general, I will continue to do so, I have that right..We all do..If you knew Ross, you would realize what a informed hunter and rifleman he really is..

I would also suggest you read Phil Shomakers and Finn Aaggards script, much the same as Ross seyfrieds, at some point the realized what was best for the pro guide, and pretty made little difference to either of the 3..A glass or Bondo stock that shoots good is all that's actually needed IMO, all three have such rifles..Maybe your the one that needs a shrink, I'll be glad to share him with you!! rotflmo

Oh btw, owning one .308 makes not an expert on the caliber, that applies to any caliber, I have owned perhaps two dozen over the years, and excuse me but I can't tell any difference in killing and animal with a 308 than with a 30-06, which I wouldn't be without btw..Both are excellent..I separate the two by what I intend to hunt and how Im hunting..I use my 308 Savage 99 almost exclusively for hunting horseback, or hunting deer from a blind etc. the 06 when Im on foot or in rough country most of the time, but in each case that's my call, nobodys elses..

What I really think is your trying to keep this rediculas thread that no longer has Jack s--t to do with the .458 Win..Your present goal is to stir up the masses (and me!)..Its working so congrats on that, but I have to confess that you have turned to evil and treacherous means to accomplish your evil deed, to be the administrator of the longest running thread for less than intelligent conversation, shame on you, I know you know better!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dude, that was one of my favorite articles.
Dreamed of building one, got a 416 Rigby instead. Bouya.

416Tanzan,

You are a scholar and a gentleman, and a riflecrank of highest order. Please let us know if you dig up anything on Ross Seyfried and the .458 Winchester Magnum.
Thanks for the reply. The new goal of this thread is to make it to page #458.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray B:
Made it to 45, now the march to 50!!

Ray B,

Thanks for noticing.
Onward to page 458.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
RIP,

You wouldn't mind posting the entire G&A article of Ross's .416 would you? For "book review" purposes of course. Big Grin

Cougarz,
Too much of a jackalopement right now!
Show a little respect for the .458 Winchester Magnum, please.
Ross did two articles about his general thoughts on "A Professional's Rifle" that I am aware of: Dec. 1990 G&A, and Sep-Oct 1999 Rifle #185.
The Remington M700 .416 Rem. Mag. you mention is not the primary subject of either article.
I cannot even get a weight of that rifle so far,
but for "almost 2 pounds lighter than the original factory rifle."
He does speak in another article of firing a 7.5-pound .416.
I assume that is the iron-sighted, possibly loaded with 4 rounds, weight of the M700 rifle.
I am not going to further dignify a Remington M700 .416 Remington here.
Just another sign of poor judgement on Ross's part, like his opinion of the .458 Winchester Magnum.
You will see that he would go to great lengths (pun intended) to longCOL load a .416 Taylor, yet he poo-poo-ed the Mighty .458 Winchester Magnum. nilly
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post

Is that a HS Precision stock? Do you recall the pattern description and/or model #? Thanks.
Bro' Dart

I have a long neck, and high cheek bones. I use a lot of bondo making Monte Carlos on butt stocks.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Atkinson,

Thanks for the reply.
I can work with about anybody in furthering The Mission, whether they get it or not.
Here goes:

quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Rip,
Do you really think your post is valid, most of us that have hunted a lot, HAVE CHANGED OUR MIND, Is that not allowed anymore...Im sure like Ross, you have done a few turn arounds in opinions concerning hunting and guns, I sure have and for instance Ive changed my mind as to hunting style, scopes, calibers, Ive changed and contradicted myself on guns in general, I will continue to do so, I have that right..We all do..If you knew Ross, you would realize what a informed hunter and rifleman he really is..

Yes, Atkinson. We are all human. I have been clipping and filing Ross's writing since 1986.
He is truly a writer with heart and soul. I view his IPSC World Championship as a mere side adventure with handguns.
His true passion is as a riflecrank. Reviewing his development up to and beyond "Defiance of the .458 Winchester" is a window into my soul.
Subconsciously, I must have been adapting my riflecrankery to mostly mirror what Ross has done.
The mirror was shattered in 2004. rotflmo
If you do not get this schtick, that's OK. You can still play along too, and be played for whatever it is worth.
tu2

I would also suggest you read Phil Shomakers and Finn Aaggards script,

Hey! I have Oxford binders with sheet protectors on those two also.
Finn Aagaard's starts in April 1983, AMERICAN RIFLEMAN ... and you can bet your sweet bippy I pour over any old gunrags I seek out.
Phil Shoemaker is also of highest order in the pantheon of gurus.

much the same as Ross seyfrieds, at some point the realized what was best for the pro guide, and pretty made little difference to either of the 3..A glass or Bondo stock that shoots good is all that's actually needed IMO, all three have such rifles..Maybe your the one that needs a shrink, I'll be glad to share him with you!! rotflmo

That is funny Atkinson! I am the redneckiest of Bondo-stocked riflecranks. Love those ugly rifles!

Oh btw, owning one .308 makes not an expert on the caliber, that applies to any caliber, I have owned perhaps two dozen over the years, and excuse me but I can't tell any difference in killing and animal with a 308 than with a 30-06, which I wouldn't be without btw..Both are excellent..I separate the two by what I intend to hunt and how Im hunting..I use my 308 Savage 99 almost exclusively for hunting horseback, or hunting deer from a blind etc. the 06 when Im on foot or in rough country most of the time, but in each case that's my call, nobodys elses..

Your semi-relevance and pseudo-impertinence to the thread is appreciated.
Keep it coming!

What I really think is your trying to keep this rediculas thread that no longer has Jack s--t to do with the .458 Win..

Now that is just plumb nasty and ignorant. But that is OK, your opinion, everybody has one right?

Your present goal is to stir up the masses (and me!)..Its working so congrats on that,

Thank you, my pleasure, to be sure.

but I have to confess that you have turned to evil and treacherous means to accomplish your evil deed, to be the administrator

No, not administrator, just the perpetrator. The perp'.

of the longest running thread for less than intelligent conversation, shame on you, I know you know better!! rotflmo

Thanks, Atkinson.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:

Is that a HS Precision stock?

Yes.

Do you recall the pattern description and/or model #?

It was the model they used to make for the Ruger M77 Mark II. Full bedding block,
no crossbolts or secondary recoil lug needed on a .458 Winchester Magnum.
I picked it off the shelf at a Sportsman's "Whorehouse"/Warehouse Store in Lexington, KY,
over 10 years ago, IIRC.
It also worked just fine for fit on the earliest make of Ruger M77 Hawkeye African .375 Ruger with 23" barrel.
I will have to Google HS Precision and see if they are still making it.

Thanks.
Bro' Dart

I have a long neck, and high cheek bones. I use a lot of bondo making Monte Carlos on butt stocks.

You must be built like Ross Seyfried.

https://www.hsprecision.com/shop2/rifle-stocks/ruger/

Ruger Rifle Stocks
Our Ruger Rifle stocks are built one at a time from the highest quality raw material. We start by CNC machining the aluminum bedding block. Every stock we produce will have an aluminum bedding block that is machined specifically to the dimensions of the barreled action it will be used with. The aluminum bedding block is then placed into a mold. Both sides of the mold are hand laminated with Kevlar, fiberglass, and carbon fiber. We use an abundant amount of these material for added strength and durability. Next we inject the mold with a proprietary mixture of a dense polyurethane foam material. This will give us the general shape and design of the stock. We spend the rest of the time hand finishing the Ruger stock to ensure that it is perfect and ready for your needs.

We're currently working on bringing you a new Ruger M77 stock.

Tentative release in the Fall of 2018

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Before resuming psychoanalysis of Ross Seyfried's "Defiance of the .458 Winchester,"
I stopped by the local emporium and found that one of the old "long-tailed" 577/450 Martini-Henry rifles had appeared on the used-gun rack.
Except for the buttstock being loose, it seems to be in working order.

Hold my horses! There is the answer for the Ruger No.1.
A 577/450 MH throated like a .458 Win. Mag. on a Ruger No.1 might work out.
That is the biggest rim anyone seems to be able to do on a Ruger No.1, i.e., like 577 NE?
The 577/.458 Winchester-Martini: I'll put that in my pipe and smoke it.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Part 2:

GUNS & AMMO/MARCH 1987
THE "INSIDE" STORY ... BIG GAME BULLETS
By Ross Seyfried

Near the beginning:
Page 43: "The first big game bullets were chipped flint, tied to the end of a spear or arrow shaft."

Big Game bullets evolved. Ross said this about monometal copper and bronze solids:
Page 44: "Because they are made of a material that is less dense than lead, these bullets are longer for any given weight than a solid with a lead core. There are times when this extra bullet length can cause problems.
The .458 Winchester, with its all-too-small case capacity, is one of them. (emphasis added by me)
Barnes makes a lighter .458 bullet that works well, and there are the Trophy Bonded solids that still use a lead core and are the same length as conventional bullets."

So what does Ross do with the .416 Taylor, similarly limited in case capacity?
He chose it for an earlier season as a PH in Africa, where it performed admirably,
even though he was using it in a Blaser rifle, Eeker
prior to his use of the M700 .416 Rem. Mag.
Did he actually load it like shown on page 45?
Behold the .416 Taylor LongCOL:

BC = Before Condemnation, year 2003 and prior.
AD = After Defiance, year 2004 and subsequent.
These are the eras to be used in reference to the writings of Ross Seyfried.

I have independently arrived at the 3.540" COL as the maximum COL that will allow me to eject .458 Win. Mag. unfired ammo from the chamber of a Ruger M77 Mark II, with no modifications to the action.
I now wonder if Ross Seyfried is to blame for me ever venturing down the LongCOL road.
The human mind is a funny thing ... (self-psychoanalysis)

The picture of the .416 Taylor cartridge was just popped into the article with no other reference to it nor discussion of the .416 Taylor in the article.
No mention of LongCOL loading of the .458 Winchester Magnum.

Have you noticed that even in the BC era, Ross refused to call it the ".458 Winchester Magnum."
He always clipped off the "Magnum" part.
To him it is not a magnum.
It was just the ".458 Winchester." animal
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ross refused to call it the ".458 Winchester Magnum."
It was just the ".458 Winchester."

Not a bad call, though.

Over 40 calibers need a little extra capacity to push all that weight accumulating at "volume-cubed" rates. Just to be normal. Just to have a trajectory worth hunting with.

In .458" I would call the Weatherby, Rigby and Dakota "magnums." In .416" only the Rigby and Weatherby are worthy of 'magnum,' if loaded to use their capacity. Yes, in relation to 30-cal, everything over-40 might be "magnum," but case capacities in the 90-100 grain range are just ho-hum, plain jane.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

one of us
posted Hide Post
416Tanzan,

Thank you for your further belittling of the .458 Winchester Magnum aka .458 Winchester.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Part 3:

2000 BC: Disdain for the .458 Winchester Magnum had been festering for decades when Ross Seyfried wrote the following:

Handloader 204, April-May 2000
Reloading the .416
"Getting the best from the heavy hitters!"
By Ross Seyfried

"Somewhere around 1983 ... with the help of Chet Brown, my Blaser Ultimate became a .416 Taylor. It held three rounds, was a takedown, had a single set trigger, was non-rusting, carried a Zeiss scope in quick detachable mounts, shot 1-1/2-inch groups (with four different bullets), weighed in at 7-3/4 pounds with its Kevlar stock and kicked like a mule. But it was magic because this diminutive package delivered Rigby horsepower. Making cartridges was as simple as necking down the essentially useless .458 Winchester brass and adding W-748 Ball powder ..."

Apparently the Blaser Ultimate could handle a COL longer than 3.340" and Ross's .416 Taylor was throated long enough to allow it.
Just guessing, I know nothing about Blasers.
I guess it never occurred to him to LongCOL load the .458 Winchester Magnum. rotflmo
No wonder Ross quickly replaced the Blaser .416 Taylor with a Remington M700 .416 Remington.
A Remington M700 sure beats a Blaser.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
416Tanzan,

Thank you for your further belittling of the .458 Winchester Magnum aka .458 Winchester.
tu2
Rip ...

The 458 WM is the 308 of the 45 calibers. That is actually praise, at least in many people's eyes, and I'm planning to get my first 308 when I can work out the logistics.
A comparison with the 308 neither belittles nor magnifies the cartridge, but lets it stand on its own merits. I don't think of a 416 Ruger as a magnum, either. Hey, maybe it's not, since it doesn't wear a belt? beer

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I was just pulling your string to start with, I certainly enjoyed your well thought out reply it was elegant and well versed, a bit wordy, but allow me to think about it for awhile! Maybe you will turn me into a dyed in the wool 458 lover..Ive been on the brink for some time now!! hammering

BTW, PHil is a good friend of mine besides being my favorite gun scribe, Finn was also a good friend. Both are/were .458 Win. fans. But their rifles were not fancy and they had nothing against Bondo, glass, or rawhide for that matter, nor do I, other than I use my Glass, bondo and rawhide on wood! Plastic sucks! wave To be continued in 10 days, a hunt starts Sat. nilly

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Ross refused to call it the ".458 Winchester Magnum."
It was just the ".458 Winchester."

Not a bad call, though.

Over 40 calibers need a little extra capacity to push all that weight accumulating at "volume-cubed" rates. Just to be normal. Just to have a trajectory worth hunting with.

In .458" I would call the Weatherby, Rigby and Dakota "magnums." In .416" only the Rigby and Weatherby are worthy of 'magnum,' if loaded to use their capacity. Yes, in relation to 30-cal, everything over-40 might be "magnum," but case capacities in the 90-100 grain range are just ho-hum, plain jane.

As I say, just call it the 450 Rimless Nitro Express and leave it at that...Satisfies everyone...well, me at least...

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Part 3:

2000 BC: Disdain for the .458 Winchester Magnum had been festering for decades when Ross Seyfried wrote the following:

Handloader 204, April-May 2000
Reloading the .416
"Getting the best from the heavy hitters!"
By Ross Seyfried

"Somewhere around 1983 ... with the help of Chet Brown, my Blaser Ultimate became a .416 Taylor. It held three rounds, was a takedown, had a single set trigger, was non-rusting, carried a Zeiss scope in quick detachable mounts, shot 1-1/2-inch groups (with four different bullets), weighed in at 7-3/4 pounds with its Kevlar stock and kicked like a mule. But it was magic because this diminutive package delivered Rigby horsepower. Making cartridges was as simple as necking down the essentially useless .458 Winchester brass and adding W-748 Ball powder ..."

Apparently the Blaser Ultimate could handle a COL longer than 3.340" and Ross's .416 Taylor was throated long enough to allow it.
Just guessing, I know nothing about Blasers.
I guess it never occurred to him to LongCOL load the .458 Winchester Magnum. rotflmo
No wonder Ross quickly replaced the Blaser .416 Taylor with a Remington M700 .416 Remington.
A Remington M700 sure beats a Blaser.
tu2
Rip ...

Seyfried would have been miles ahead to just piss on the Blaser rifle in general and forget about dissing the 458! Those rifle abominations are truly hideous!

Just helping out the cause RIPster!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You must be built like Ross Seyfried.

That hurts, but it is true.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how long the Zeiss scope held up ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 458 WM is the 308 of the 45 calibers.

Good point, the .458 Win. Mag. is to DGR as the .308 WCF is to deer rifle. Both more than adequate nowadays. tu2

That is actually praise, at least in many people's eyes, and I'm planning to get my first 308 when I can work out the logistics.

Everybody needs one or more .308 WCFs, for many reasons. Ditto the .458 Win. Mag. for many reasons also. tu2

A comparison with the 308 neither belittles nor magnifies the cartridge, but lets it stand on its own merits. I don't think of a 416 Ruger as a magnum, either. Hey, maybe it's not, since it doesn't wear a belt?

HA ha ha, that is funny about the belt. "450 Marlin" is not a "Magnum" either, even with an oversized belt.
And of course the ".416 Ruger" is not a "Magnum," because it was not SAAMI specified in the name,
unlike the ".458 Winchester Magnum,"
which was so named not just to put some pepper in the fly specks.

beer

Nowadays the .458 Win. Mag. (with standard SAAMI throating) is fully the equal of the .458 Lott (of current standard SAAMI throating)
if both are limited to 3.6" box length.

In the beginnings of the .458 Lott it was specified to have the identical throating as the .458 Win. Mag.
It could do marvelous things then.
Now with the latest SAAMI spec on the .458 Lott throat, short-throated, it sure ain't no "Magnum,"
not even by name only,
unlike the .458 Win. Mag.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
... Maybe you will turn me into a dyed-in-the-wool 458 lover ... I've been on the brink for some time ...
... To be continued in 10 days, a hunt starts Sat. nilly

What a cliffhanger!
dancing
Can't wait for the next episode!
tu2
Rip ...