New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 winchester magnum Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah,

I wore cheaters all through med school to prevent headaches and back aches. (I was a compensated Hyperope). I never needed glasses to fly until my mid forties, but a lot of the LTCs in the Air Guard were wearing spectacles, as in four members of my last squadron. A zilion guys had lasic surgery done in their early thirties.

The best guys at seeing planes at REALLY long ranges were, and are, compensated Hyperopes. FIRST SIGHT WINS FIGHT.

I know two backseaters with glasses who made the jump to the front seat, and did so wearing glasses.

The guys who did the best as fighter pilots were those who could turn on the hate once they were in the cockpit. That was the difference between the Alphas, and the others who were merely human JOE BAG OF DONUTS wingmen.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose in a climate controlled cockpit there is no problem with eyeglasses fogging. On the ground in 90 degrees and 80 percent humidity it was a little bit different; but we still appreciated hearing those J79s.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Descent of Ross Seyfried into Defiance of the .458 Winchester
Part 6:

Weatherby .340 THE LEADER OF THE PACK!
By: Ross Seyfried
GUNS & AMMO/SEPTEMBER 1989

Pp. 76-78:
"Whenever Weatherby rifles are mentioned, the subject of "freebore" arises. I have never been able to prove or disprove that the freebore, or long throat, had any great effect on velocity or accuracy. Weatherby guarantees 1-1/2-inch groups with their rifles and ammunition. My experience is that they will do that and often much more. In fact, the most accurate sporting rifle I have ever fired was an old West German .340 with 210-grain Nosler factory ammunition.

"My 1986-vintage Mark V Fibermark .340 has a .500-inch throat from the case mouth to where a .338-inch bullet engages the rifling. My Champlin .340's throat measures .350 inch. Accuracy is similar with both rifles, and both show very similar pressure signs using the same loads. It is interesting to note that the Champlin, with its 24-inch barrel, usually chronographs within 20 fps of the Weatherby, with its 26-inch barrel. This is probably due to minute differences in bore and chamber dimensions. Certainly, the Weatherby's longer throat isn't causing great velocity increases."

faint
Of course the longer throat is not causing velocity increase with the same load! horse
It will cause velocity decrease with the same load, all other factors being equal.
More powder must be added to get pressure and velocity to equal the shorter-throated rifle.
But the potential is there, to beat the shorter-throat velocity by handloading.

Anyway, Ross's example of a pair of .340 Wbys with different "bullet jump" in the throats,
0.500" on the Fibermark and 0.350" on the Champlin,
is insignificant when compared to Ray B's extreme example with the two .257 Wby.Mags.
In fact, Ross's little throating difference, described above,
is about like the difference between a .458 Lott and a .458 Win.Mag. when both are loaded to same COL.
The advantage is to the .458 Win.Mag.

So we see a bit of ignorance even in the elite gunwriter?
Ross may not have been an "elitist" but he knew he was the "elitest" of the crowd.
Could this have been a selective manipulation of thought, getting readers to ignore throat?
Mind control? Setting us up for bashing of the .458 Winchester Magnum?

My first .340 Weatherby was a Fibermark. I blooded it in October 1986 on Kodiak deer.
I also fired it from inside my tent one moonless night when an 8-footer (young Kodiak) pressed his nose on the wall of the tent.
That rifle was a comfort.
IIRC, it was the first factory centerfire rifle to offer a synthetic stock, and it was a McMillan, with black wrinkle paint,
offered first in 1983 (American Rifleman "Dope Bag" Feb. 1984)
before McMillan had learned to mould in the color and the checkering?
I might have gotten mine in Blairstown, MO, 1985, if not in Anchorage, AK after I arrived there late August 1985.
Might be one rifle I had before Ross Seyfried.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
[b]
Could this have been a selective manipulation of thought, getting readers to ignore throat?

tu2
Rip ...

To agree with that would mean that I would accept the premise that the gunwriter had a strategy and a plan. I am not ready to yield that much credit to most of the recent era of gunwriters. But then an English professor I once had did state that if there was an infinite number of typewriters (I'm old) and an equal number of monkeys with an equally infinite amount of paper and ribbons, that sooner or later one of them would type "to be or not to be". So it is possible that there was a plan to deceive in place.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray B,

Are you saying that a bunch of monkeys typed that article for Ross Seyfried? animal
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not saying that they DID; but Quantum Theory and a time frame of Infinity would indicate that such an event is at least POSSIBLE

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suppose in a climate controlled cockpit there is no problem with eyeglasses fogging. On the ground in 90 degrees and 80 percent humidity it was a little bit different; but we still appreciated hearing those J79s.

The F-4 cockpit was anything but climate controlled. In hot weather the a/c would not cool the cockpit; it would just spit chunks of ice at you. In the winter, the heat didn't always produce actual heat. The biggest cause of glasses fogging was sweating by the aircrew. The biggest problem in the cockpit was getting thrown around by violent maneuvers.
I cracked a couple helmets, even though I pulled the safety straps as hard as I could to hold me in place.
The most troublesome time was when you were twisted around in your seat, checking six, and you suddenly had to reef on the stick for all you were worth.

The plane looks to be smoothly flying from the outside, but the environment in the cockpit got downright violent during any hard maneuvering, which I tended to do on all my tactical rides. In the weather, I would never spill one drop of coffee from a cup, or saucer.

With my tall sitting height, my brain bucket was within 3/16" of the canopy - not very far. Having been a grunt medic myself, I took my CAS duties very seriously. CAS is best done with an A-1 Skyraider, or an A-10, not in a fast mover. More than one F-4 in Vietnam returned to base with bits of skulls and brain matter smeared all along the wings. Having been Army, I was a true believer in the combined arms concept. The concept was really perfected by the P-47s working with the third Army in 1944/45.

We keep refining it though. I hope Congress and the Executive branch force the USAF to keep the A-10 in service for another twenty five years!

I was offered a dual doctor pilot slot in the USAF in the A-10, but I just couldn't do it. Flying fast movers forever spoils you against slowing down.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
[b]

The explanation is much more mundane. Follow the money. A gunwriter often sets up a straw dummy to knock down. At the time the article in question was written, the 416 Rigby had just been revived, and the 416 Remington had just been released. The companies wanted to sell guns and ammunition. Laayne Simpson wrote an article about the Rigby, and another about shooting a moose with the 416 Remington, Joe Hoffman penned one about the 416 Rem Mag, and Ross Seyfried also wrote one about the 416 Remington. That same year I went to the RMEF meeting in Denver. The Weatherby reps only wanted to talk about the 416 Weatherby. Less than a year later, I walked into a Gunshop in Boulder, Colorado, and bought my Sako AV Hunter in 416 Rem Mag. Three months later I owned TWO 416 Rigbys, and found that my CZ 416 swung like a shotgun for me. It is still my truck gun. I had no history with the .458, so I fell in love with the .416 bore size, and am still in love with it, at sedate velocities, even.

Occams razor tells me that the gunwriters in 1988-1991 were flogging the 416 to sell rifles for Weatherby, Ruger, Remington, CZ, etc. They were also helping to sell Federal, and Remington Ammunition. Everyone who wanted a 458 Winchester Magnum already had one. It was time to trigger a new round of impulse buying by all us rifle loonies.Sometime I want to build a new 416 Taylor to replace one I sold. Why? Well I have the brass, bullets, and powder, and that is my favorite medium bore bullet diameter.

I did try to buy a 458 a few years back, but the owner had already sold it. To be honest, I forgot why I wanted it. If I were a few years older than 62, I would likely have owned a 458 for many years now. I just got bit hard by the .416 and 9.3mm bullet diameters in this life.

Oh my. Did I start a new page?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose, in some form or fashion, gunwriters have sold me on most all of the various rifles / cartridges that I have. Particularly the medium/larger bores, as in the 458 Lott, 458 Winchester, 416 Remington, 416 Ruger, 375 H&H, 375 Ruger, 338 Winchester.

This influence would also include the ones from 8mm to 223's. I had to get the initial information from somewhere to create the urge to buy. Otherwise I would have a single 30-06 or 270 Winchester. Or perhaps I would have owned both.

The 416's, 375's, 338's, and even the 325 WSM still firmly hold my interest. And, unfortunately this thread has rekindled the urge of having a stainless 458 Winchester on a Ruger Mark II put together. This was high on the to-do list prior to getting and using the 416 Ruger.

Posts: 426 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suppose, in some form or fashion, gunwriters have sold me on most all of the various rifles / cartridges that I have. Particularly the medium/larger bores, as in the 458 Lott, 458 Winchester, 416 Remington, 416 Ruger, 375 H&H, 375 Ruger, 338 Winchester.

Idmay,
interesting.

As I look back I see a different starting point but similar interests and influences.

I chose the 338 WM after carefully studying reloading manuals.
I had a 270 and 222, with access to 375's for hunting buffalo. The 338 seemed a great all-around rifle for Africa and was buffalo-legal where I was, at least for locals. Maybe a little O'Connor logic influenced that choice: get an adequate rifle that one can use a lot and be absolutely confident with. Bigger isn't necessarily better, and the price of 338's was considerably less than 375's back in the day. 375H&H is still more expensive, in many cases.

But then came "the Ross" and that article on the four-six-teenie. Maybe here was a better all-around African caliber! Yes, the 416. Well, I still think that a 416 Rigby is a great choice. Hard to beat. There had been a time when some countries had a +40 cal rule. Everything was fine, a couple decades went by, until I started thinking, "But what about a 'stopper'?" I'd seen buffalo absorb 416's, saunter off, and die, but not terrified and hurting like what a 338 does to a hartebeest.* Enter the 500 Acc Reloading. Yes, that should be a stopper. Maybe, we'll see. Animals can be tough. Bullet integrity and placement is key, of course. We're just waiting for TZ to re-open local hunting.

Nowadays in the US I use a 338 for deer. I'd probably be a 338-hunter if I only had one rifle. I do have a 416 Rigby in the US, but the rifle is a tad heavy to want to carry for deer.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
PS: (RIP, you happy to divide the post, yes?)
quote:
not ... hurting like what a 338 does to a hartebeest.*

With a 270 I had shot several hartebeests over 250 yards in the heart and/or solidly in the lungs that had run or walked off relatively long ways [100-400 yards]. The first hartebeest that I shot with a 338 was just about 300 yards and took a forward quartering shot in the lungs over the heart. He took two or three sickly steps forward and collapsed. My son, who had 'inherited' the 270 was thoroughly impressed with the difference. That distinction continued to play out, although I must also state that the 270 had some spectacular kills on occasion.

The 270 seems about right as an adequate, solid, hartebeest gun. But the 338 is more of an absolutely excellent hartebeest gun. (Disclaimer: bullet placement, as always, is critical.) As an analogy, what the 338 is to hartebeest, the 270 is to cob/puku/impala.

Recently, a few years ago, I snuck up 300-400 yards on a feeding hartebeest across a very wide grassy forest opening. At about 275 yards out the hartebeest stopped feeding and stood erect. I chose the 338 over the 416. The bullet put a hole in the heart and the hartebeest stumbled about 30 yards before keeling over. I still think the 338 is an absolutely great hartebeest round. We can always quibble: wouldn't a 300 mag be as good, 3600 ft# equal the 4000ft# muzzle? Yes, probably. But bigger bullets win out in this comparison, especially with buffalo around.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
RIP,

One last INTERLOPER diversion then back to the 458 discussion.

BOOM

Spectacles in fighters. For us NAVY guys, you could not require glasses up to the time of receiving your wings. Corrected 20/20 was supposedly not good enough for landing on carriers at night. (Don't get me started on that particular level of insanity but the very first guy who stood up in a ready room and said "Hey Skipper, let's see if we can do this at night", should have been given a proper blanket party!! Enough so that the second azzhole with the same idea would have enough sense to keep his pie hole shut!!) . shame But I digress.

Once you had completed the program to the point of being awarded your wings, approximately 2 years into the training program, corrected vision to 20/20 all of a sudden became no issue. Lots of LCDRs and above flying off boats with glasses.

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ldmay375:

This influence would also include the ones from 8mm to 223's. I had to get the initial information from somewhere to create the urge to buy. Otherwise I would have a single 30-06 or 270 Winchester. Or perhaps I would have owned both.

The 416's, 375's, 338's, and even the 325 WSM still firmly hold my interest. And, unfortunately this thread has rekindled the urge of having a stainless 458 Winchester on a Ruger Mark II put together. This was high on the to-do list prior to getting and using the 416 Ruger.

You could name it after one of Southeast Stevadoring's tugs and call it The Kodiak King ! dancing

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for interesting replies.
416Tanzan has the right idea with splitting that long one into two, for The Mission. tu2

Regarding Mind Control Gunscribes: Hindsight is 30/30, eh?
If we only knew then what we know now about guns ...
The .340 Wby.Mag. Fibermark served well as a Kodiak deer rifle and bear persuader in October 1986,
and exploded a crow at 100 yards and dropped a triple on caribou out to 350 yards, one November 1986 morning on The Peninsula.
But that Kodiak bear's nose on my tent wall right near my face in October 1986 inspired some bigger bore collecting.
In rapid succession, all arriving by mid-1987:
.375 Wby.Mag., .416 Barnes Supreme, and a .450 Barnes Supreme, all on Whitworth Mark X Mausers.
Just before the factory .416 Remington, Rigby, and Weatherby started showing up. faint

December 1986 I used a .458 Win.Mag. Remington M700 "Safari" to take a tasty cow moose.
Same 500-grain Hornady RNSP worked wonders on a hoary marmot/rockchuck at 100 yards also.
Who says the .458 Win.Mag is not versatile?

If only I had the current AA-2230 and GSC .458/400-grain HVs back in 1986,
my total centerfire rifle battery might consist of only three rifle:
.30-06 SPRG Ruger M77 "Roundtop" in a Brown Precision stock.
.340 Wby.Mag. Mk V Fibermark
.458 Win.Mag. M77 Mk II Stainless in an HS Precision stock.
The .458 Win.Mag. would be my Kodiak Deer Rifle.

Just fooling on a limit of only three rifles. Boring! A riflecrank's battery knows no bounds.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Alder Queen, Alderella, has been test-fired.
She is currently getting a trigger job at the Spa for Wayward Rifles.
I think her barrel is going to start off at about 27-5/8" long.
Apparently taking a half inch off the 3"-long knoxform of the breech made it a swell fit in the barrel channel of the HS Precision stock.
The front of her box will be glass-bedded against the front wall of the magazine well.
Trigger job to 2.5# pull, which apparently required a lighter trigger spring and smoothing some surfaces.

There will be no overtravel stop, as recommended by Ross Seyfried for the Professional's Rifle.
Overtravel stops are for benchrest rifles only.
stir
If she breaks out of the epoxy, she might come home tomorrow.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .458 Win.Mag. might take care of rimfire and shotgun duties too,
in addition to all plains game and dangerous game, with the right loads.
Roundball loads for barking squirrels.
A column of birdshot contained between two gas checks to work as a shotgun.
Lee Factory Crimp over the inverted top gas check.
Have to try patterning that.
Maybe that long .458 Win.Mag. throat will let the shot column skid along without spinning.
A shot & ball gun, or a new form of Paradox Gun. hilbily
If sumbuddy has done any of this before, please do tell.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The front of her box will be glass-bedded against the front wall of the magazine well.

Might consider having a 1/8" thick piece of steel brazed, or welded to the box to cut down on the spalling. Epoxy might shatter and crumble with repeated blows.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Writers and publishers of gun/hunting magazines are in a difficult position. they desire to get paid to do something they like, i.e. playing with guns and going hunting, then writing stories about their activities and the various implements. When a person starts into this variation of the journalism profession they soon learn how the funding is obtained. Initially the writer is under the impression that if he writes entertaining and informative articles That the publisher will pay him and then the publisher will be paid by those readers that subscribe to the magazine. Depending on how perceptive the aspiring writer is he may learn that this process only applies to those giving testimony to Congress. The real source of the publishers income, with the flow-down effect to the writer is the advertising. So what happens looks the same as the first model but instead of writing a story about how his adventure with said implement, he writes a story about how his adventure COULD have gone. Amazingly enough how the adventure could have gone always results in glowing reviews for said implement. For the glowing review the implement maker buys a full color full page advertisement in the magazine. If the article is really well done there may be two or three pages of advertisements placed throughout the magazine. So instead of the cashflow consisting of the writer, publisher and reader it has advertiser added. So the process becomes: gun maker has a new gun to sell so sends a demo (carefully quality controlled) to the publisher. the publisher sends the gun along to the writer who at least claims to have "put it through the paces" and taken it on some canned hunt where he obtains photos then with the animal (he claims was killed by the demo gun) and follows all of this adventure up with a glowing article praising the gun. For publication of such an unbiased and trustworthy product testing the publisher is rewarded with a sizeable advertising contract- the funds of which dwarf the revenue obtained through the monthly subscription payments. So everyone seems to be happy. The writer because he can continue to be paid to play with guns and go hunting, the publisher because he gets paid handsomely for doing very little, the gun maker because he has an expanded market for his products and lastly, the fellow that read the article and determined that when he buys the new gun, with it will come the answers to all of his dreams. It all goes quite well until the new wears off and the gun owner realizes that his new gun not only doesn't fulfill his dreams but it doesn't even perform the designed functions as well as his old gun that the writer said was obsolete. To see the sequence of dominos that fall review the events regarding Winchester Repeating Arms Co in the years following the "upgrades" of 1964. My late friend Bill Steigers had a term for such writers that were willing to sell their soul for a magazine writer job, he called them "P cubed". Translated it was Prostitutes of the Printed Page.

If you want to see how unbiased an article is, determine the object of the article, then skim through the magazine and count the number of advertisements placed by the manufacturer or distributor of the highlighted item. The total may be enlightening.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
quote:

Might consider having a 1/8" thick piece of steel brazed, or welded to the box to cut down on the spalling. Epoxy might shatter and crumble with repeated blows.

We have done the steel plate brazing to the front of the box many times, on CZ 550 Magnum and M70 rifles.
With the HS Precision stock for the Ruger M77 Mk II, there was not enough room for that unless some of the bedding block was milled away.
That is in the critical area that backs up the primary recoil lug on the action.
With such a thin layer of epoxy to eliminate air space from between the sheet metal box front and the bedding block magazine well front wall,
it is unlikely to crack, and if it does it matters little.
Because if that cracks then the whole danged bedding block is probably cracked!
(Won't happen.)
We'll see how it works.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or The MatSu Mauler.

quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:

You could name it after one of Southeast Stevadoring's tugs and call it The Kodiak King ! dancing

Posts: 426 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray B:
Writers and publishers of gun/hunting magazines ... My late friend Bill Steigers had a term for such writers that were willing to sell their soul for a magazine writer job, he called them "P cubed". Translated it was Prostitutes of the Printed Page.

If you want to see how unbiased an article is, determine the object of the article, then skim through the magazine and count the number of advertisements placed by the manufacturer or distributor of the highlighted item. The total may be enlightening.

Bill Steigers is well known to me from the printed page from way back. tu2
His "P cubed" terminology is more applicable than ever, in this era of fake news,
what with the Democrats and their "golden showers" and such.

The Ad Index at the back of the magazine helps with sniffing out the golden showers of the prostitutes of the printed page.
Peee-yooo on P-cubed.
No fetish of mine, but sometimes we just have to accept them and get out the umbrella and rubbers and wade through it.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or The MatSu Mauler.

quote:

Wasilla Whomper might work for the next one.
The Alder Queen's full name: Alderella Knik Knocker.
I just call her "Knockers" for short.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also poured over all reloading manuals. And of course reading the lead-ins for each cartridge. But, the new arrivals were always brought to my knowledge by gun magazines.

The 338 Winchester would be my pick for a single rifle cartridge for Alaska and likely many other locations. I nothing but good to say about it.

I will blame Ross for my presently unquenched desire for a 340 WBY. I have had a donor rifle and brass for years. Just cannot convince myself that for me the possible benefit is worth the effort. Guess I can thank him for the plunges that I took with the 475 Linebaugh and 45 Colt.

To the 458 Winchester I will blame Finn and Phil. If I had one in a stainless rifle, I would certainly give it whirl with the 400 GS Customs. Might anyways, that and the Lott. I have an Interarms in 458 Win and a synthetic CZ modified by AHR. I am sure that if Barnes would have continued the 400 grain in the TSX line, I would be heavily involved with 458's and maybe not the 416's. I like both rifles, but had prefer to spending the wet seasons with stainless.

quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
quote:

Idmay,
interesting.

As I look back I see a different starting point but similar interests and influences.

I chose the 338 WM after carefully studying reloading manuals.
I had a 270 and 222, with access to 375's for hunting buffalo. The 338 seemed a great all-around rifle for Africa and was buffalo-legal where I was, at least for locals. Maybe a little O'Connor logic influenced that choice: get an adequate rifle that one can use a lot and be absolutely confident with. Bigger isn't necessarily better, and the price of 338's was considerably less than 375's back in the day. 375H&H is still more expensive, in many cases.

But then came "the Ross" and that article on the four-six-teenie. Maybe here was a better all-around African caliber! Yes, the 416. Well, I still think that a 416 Rigby is a great choice. Hard to beat. There had been a time when some countries had a +40 cal rule. Everything was fine, a couple decades went by, until I started thinking, "But what about a 'stopper'?" I'd seen buffalo absorb 416's, saunter off, and die, but not terrified and hurting like what a 338 does to a hartebeest.* Enter the 500 Acc Reloading. Yes, that should be a stopper. Maybe, we'll see. Animals can be tough. Bullet integrity and placement is key, of course. We're just waiting for TZ to re-open local hunting.

Nowadays in the US I use a 338 for deer. I'd probably be a 338-hunter if I only had one rifle. I do have a 416 Rigby in the US, but the rifle is a tad heavy to want to carry for deer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Or The MatSu Mauler.

quote:

There ya go, Moose Flats Flattener !!!

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks to all for interesting replies.
416Tanzan has the right idea with splitting that long one into two, for The Mission. tu2

Regarding Mind Control Gunscribes: Hindsight is 30/30, eh?
If we only knew then what we know now about guns ...
The .340 Wby.Mag. Fibermark served well as a Kodiak deer rifle and bear persuader in October 1986,
and exploded a crow at 100 yards and dropped a triple on caribou out to 350 yards, one November 1986 morning on The Peninsula.
But that Kodiak bear's nose on my tent wall right near my face in October 1986 inspired some bigger bore collecting.
In rapid succession, all arriving by mid-1987:
.375 Wby.Mag., .416 Barnes Supreme, and a .450 Barnes Supreme, all on Whitworth Mark X Mausers.
Just before the factory .416 Remington, Rigby, and Weatherby started showing up. faint

December 1986 I used a .458 Win.Mag. Remington M700 "Safari" to take a tasty cow moose.
Same 500-grain Hornady RNSP worked wonders on a hoary marmot/rockchuck at 100 yards also.
Who says the .458 Win.Mag is not versatile?

If only I had the current AA-2230 and GSC .458/400-grain HVs back in 1986,
my total centerfire rifle battery might consist of only three rifle:
.30-06 SPRG Ruger M77 "Roundtop" in a Brown Precision stock.
.340 Wby.Mag. Mk V Fibermark
.458 Win.Mag. M77 Mk II Stainless in an HS Precision stock.
The .458 Win.Mag. would be my Kodiak Deer Rifle.

Just fooling on a limit of only three rifles. Boring! A riflecrank's battery knows no bounds.
tu2
Rip ...

So , what became of your 416 and 450 Barnes Supremes??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Or The MatSu Mauler.

quote:

Wasilla Whomper might work for the next one.
The Alder Queen's full name: Alderella Knik Knocker.
I just call her "Knockers" for short.
tu2
Rip ...

tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BULLWINKLE BOPPER or Big Bopper for short.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CTF,

I still have the Barnes Supreme .416 and .450 rifles.
Dang Alaskan gunsmith had reamers, barrels, actions, dies, and brass.
When I went to pick up the .375 Wby.Mag. I was a pushover for two more rifles.
I’ll dig them out and for show and tell ... later.
Anything for another reply toward The Mission.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mission central. tu2

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mission central. tu2

416 Ruger tu2

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have done the steel plate brazing to the front of the box many times, on CZ 550 Magnum and M70 rifles.
With the HS Precision stock for the Ruger M77 Mk II, there was not enough room for that unless some of the bedding block was milled away.
That is in the critical area that backs up the primary recoil lug on the action.
With such a thin layer of epoxy to eliminate air space from between the sheet metal box front and the bedding block magazine well front wall,
it is unlikely to crack, and if it does it matters little.
Because if that cracks then the whole danged bedding block is probably cracked!
(Won't happen.)
We'll see how it works.

Shim stock (the thickest available), or thin cold rolled steel might just fit. Anything to prevent the whole assembly from getting a running start at the bedding block.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the front of the box ever gets dimpled by bullet noses, we'll try something else.
No problems.

Here is Alderella Ruger aka "The Knik Knocker":

She weighs 8 lbs 14 oz as shown with 27.5" barrel.
She'll get a little lighter when barrel is shortened.

Sourdoughs will know to pronounce it "Kuh-nik Kuh-nocker."
"Knik" is a native Alaskan word. Yup'ik?
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glassing for bear:

Grandpa of these siblings is a Gunsmith who builds great .458 Winchester Magnums, as well as taping together a toy wooden gun, with a real scope!
He says "The apple does not fall far from the tree."
There is hope for the human race.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The young man's name is Oakley and the young lady's name is Kimber. Their future is foreordained.

(You can't fix stupid)
Falls of Rough Ky University
Our victory cry is FORK U!

Posts: 218 | Location: Falls of Rough, KY | Registered: 29 June 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roughone:
The young man's name is Oakley and the young lady's name is Kimber. Their future is foreordained.

Tough as nails, smart as tacks, cute as can be, Oakley and Kimber are quite a team!
Good work Granda Rusty. I'll sleep better knowing that the A Team is in training.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
SPORTS AFIELD
May/June 2018, pp. 80-84
FOUR-FIVE-EIGHT: THE .458 WINCHESTER MAGNUM SETS THE STANDARD FOR A DANGEROUS-GAME CARTRIDGE.
Story and Photos by Kelly Ross.

"Recently chronographed loads of factory ammunition from Winchester, Norma, and Federal yielded muzzle velocities of between 1,950 and 2,250 fps with
500-grain bullets of various makes and with a 24-inch barrel."

Kudos to Kelly Ross for daring to praise the .458 Win.Mag. in print. clap
Secure in his manhood, eh?
However, the above quote is a bit vague, and not supported by any identified, maker-specific data.
No exact numbers.
There really is nothing in the article we have not beaten to death here, and gone beyond.

I'll shoot Alderella first with Hornady DGS 500-grain factory loads, comparing her 27.5" Shilen barrel to what I got in two other rifles, with same ammo:

24" Whitworth Mk X factory barrel: 2124 fps MV, 10-shot average, 68*F, St.dev. = 8 fps,

24-7/8" CZ barrel on a Pre-'64 M70: 2094 fps MV, 5-shot average, 55*f, St.dev. = 8 fps

I have never bothered to break in a barrel before,
but I hope to do it with Alderella: Clean after each shot for 30 shots.
I'll check MV for first 10 shots,
then for 10 shots after the "break-in."
Then cut and crown the barrel and check it again, for velocity loss per inch shortening,
noting ambient temperatures along the way.

The WinCzechster may have been 30 fps slower than the Whitworth, though temperature was only 13*F warmer with the Whitworth.
The WinCzechster has .459" groove diameter, though 7/8" longer barrel.
Temperature difference might not explain everything.
I have not slugged the Whitworth or Shilen yet, but I will. They might be 0.458"-grooved?
SAAMI bullet diameter spec is .4590"-.0030": 0.459" maximum
SAAMI barrel minimum: 0.458" groove, 0.450" bore,
all chamber minimums may be +.002" for diameters,
"unless otherwise specified."
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you knock her knickers you'll have to get a 416 Ruger tu2

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

one of us
posted Hide Post
So, the rifle will be a hoped for cure to ADHD. Sounds fair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the front of the box ever gets dimpled by bullet noses, we'll try something else.
No problems.

She weighs 8 lbs 14 oz as shown with 27.5" barrel.
She'll get a little lighter when barrel is shortened.

Sourdoughs will know to pronounce it "Kuh-nik Kuh-nocker."
"Knik" is a native Alaskan word. Yup'ik?
tu2
Rip ...

I think Athabaskan , but not positive. 99% sure it is not Upik or Inupiat.
I'm not zakly sure what tribe was on the shores and upper end of Cook Inlet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For The Mission: Preserving the Inupiaq language, and getting to page 458 ...

The term "knik," present in the names of the river, the arm of Cook Inlet, and the glacier, as well as the communities of Knik-Fairview and Knik River, derives from the Inupiaq word igniq ("fire"). The Denaina term for the Knik river was "Skitnu", (meaning Brush River) though this is now archaic, and not commonly used.
https://findwords.info/term/knik%20river

The Iñupiaq language is an Inuit-Yupik-Unangan language, also known as Eskimo-Aleut, has been spoken in the northern regions of Alaska for as many as 5,000 years. Between 1,000 and 800 years ago, Inuit peoples migrated east from Alaska to Canada and Greenland, eventually occupying the entire Arctic coast and much of the surrounding inland areas. The Iñupiaq dialects are the most conservative forms of the Inuit language, with less linguistic change than the other Inuit languages.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inupiaq_language

The Inupiaq language consists of Inuit-Inupiaq families of polysynthetic languages spoken from Siberia [Yup'ik] to Greenland [Inupiaq]. For Inupiaq People language is very important to Inupiaq culture and traditions. The languages of the Inuit peoples constitute a subfamily of the Eskimo Aleut language family. A major linguistic division occurs in Alaska, according to whether the speakers call themselves Inuit (singular, Inuk, as in Inupiaq) or Yuit (singular, Yuk, as in Yup'ik). The eastern branch of the subfamily generally called Inupiaq in Alaska but also Inuktitut (meaning "like an inuk") in Canada and Kalaallisut (Kaladtlisut, meaning "like an kalaaliq") in Greenland stretches from eastern Alaska across Canada and through northern into southern Greenland. It consists of many dialects, each understandable to speakers of neighboring dialects, including speaker of distant dialects found in Greenland [Inupiaq] or Russia [Yup'ik]. [1] R. Craig, [16]
"Because these languages are among the most complex and difficult in the world, few explorers or traders ever learned them; instead, they relied on a jargon composed of Danish, Spanish, Hawaiian, and Inupiaq or Yup'ik words. The Inupiaq and Yup'ik languages themselves have a rich oral literature, and a number of Greenland authors have written in Greenland Inupiaq." [16]
Like too many Indigenous Peoples, the Inupiaq were literally forced to learn English. If the BIA teachers heard Inupiaq being spoken, the transgressor(s) was swiftly punished, Alaska Natives did not escape this tragedy.
https://nnlm.gov/archive/20061109155450/inupiaq.html

Knik Knocker: Fire Knocker.
A "fire knocker" as in being used to knock some fire into yonder beast. One-shot kill and grill.

Lucky me, pulled that one out of the hat.
What if "knik" had meant "minnow" or "tiny fish" in Inupiaq?

BTW, Knik Glacier was where they filmed Star Trek VI movie, "The Undiscovered Country." It served as the filming location for the frozen planet.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102975/
Strangely enough, once upon a time, I rode a 4-wheeler ATV from the Glenn Highway all the way up to that glacier, accompanied by, strangely enough, a gunsmith who was riding another 4-wheeler.
We pitched tents and spent the night at the base of the glacier, rode out the next day.
No bears were seen from our noisy machines, but we were ready. hilbily

One of the machines broke down on the way out.
I was truly impressed watching the gunsmith repair it using only his bare hands and rocks as tools. clap
tu2
Rip ...