one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I found that a cow moose was harder on the old 1980s Hornady .458/500-grRNSP than either Finn's softpoint test medium or an African lion.
I could not speak as highly of it as he did,
but the cow moose did die instantly, from the bullet fragments,
one of which was an empty jacket.

Interesting to read that Finn noted how squirrely the roundnose solids were, on both elephant skulls and in his test media.
He later helped Jack Carter develop the flatnose solid, Trophy Bonded Sledge Hammer.

Table from above scanned from the 1984 magazine:

tu2
Anyone who claims the .458 Winchester Magnum is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own sheepishness.
Rip

one of us
posted Hide Post
I gotta go rake leaves, clean rifle, load ammo (not done with 400-grainers yet), eat turkey, go shootin', and give thanks for the .458 Winchester Magnum.
tu2
Anyone who claims the .458 Winchester Magnum is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own sheepishness.
Rip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you RIP for that article and making that thread still alive.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im thinkin I,ve read all this stuff in magazines and books, but it took me 50 years, if I had just waited and read it all at once..The thread should be published, it would create WW3... Smiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apart from Saeed, RIP absolutely leads the parade when it comes to posting pictures.

And as a bonus he puts up articles.

Much appreciated.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So best I can tell after scanning this thread, and remembering all the articles from the past; the end of the matter is obvious. The 458 Win Mag is a morally inferior choice.

Even though the ammo issues have been fixed for the last 4 or 5 decades, and it has reliably killed thousands of dangerous game animals, and it has been a common choice of PHs, and it matches the velocities of the 450 and 470 NEs which have a stellar reputation on DG; the 458 Win is still a poor choice.

The morally superior choice is the 458 Lott and because the Lott adds another 100 fps, it is VASTLY superior to the 458 Win.

Did I get all this right? Wink

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by INTJ:
So best I can tell after scanning this thread, and remembering all the articles from the past; the end of the matter is obvious. The 458 Win Mag is a morally inferior choice.

Even though the ammo issues have been fixed for the last 4 or 5 decades, and it has reliably killed thousands of dangerous game animals, and it has been a common choice of PHs, and it matches the velocities of the 450 and 470 NEs which have a stellar reputation on DG; the 458 Win is still a poor choice.

The morally superior choice is the 458 Lott and because the Lott adds another 100 fps, it is VASTLY superior to the 458 Win.

Did I get all this right? Wink

No, you did not get it right Big Grin

Simply, the Lott does the 2100 with ease, room to spare and with more powders.

And of course it can do the 2100 with what amounts to backed off loads.

I know this hard to believe but not all shooters live in America Big Grin a land of all sorts of powders and brass.

In Australia there is way more 375 brass than 458 brass and it is 100 times easier to make cases for the Lott from 375 than it is for the 458.

In short, if you like a challenge then the 458 Win is better than the Lott or 450 Ackley. Smiler If you prefer maximum loads instead of backed off loads then the 458 Win is the answer.

Apart from replicating the the450 and 470 Nitros etc. that 2100-2150 is also important for another reason and that is recoil ... and the simple fact is the 458 Lott/Ackley does it with ease and room to spare.

Now I know RIP (and other desperates Big Grin)will talk about seating bullets out in the 458 Win to an OAL of 3.6" and thus have a Lott. but what a fucking pain and a piece of shit to look at. What if you use 500 rain Hornadys and others and want to crimp your ammo?

In addition seating the 458 Winchester to 3.6" OAL is completely negated if your action is limited to standard length.

I could go on but RIP will already chastise me Big Grin

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I could seat my Lott to 3.8” in my CZ, so wouldn’t that overwhelm any 458 Win advantage?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike,

I could seat my Lott to 3.8” in my CZ, so wouldn’t that overwhelm any 458 Win advantage?

That would have been my next stage and also a Mark V in 458 Lott/Ackley.

A 458 Win with OAL of 3.8 would be real good Big Grin and especially with 400 grain lead core bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
quote:
Mike,

That would have been my next stage and also a Mark V in 458 Lott/Ackley.

A 458 Win with OAL of 3.8 would be real good Big Grin and especially with 400 grain lead core bullets.

Maybe they could glue in the bullets? Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe they could glue in the bullets? Wink

When RIP returns from MIA I am very sure he will have a special glue. You simply can't keep a good man down. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf,

Great post, much biltong to chew there. Pass me a Tusker. beer

As for a couple of miscreants' posts preceding ALF's,
you have given me much material to work with in correcting your distortions and misconceptions.
I'll get to it later, add to the page count here.
But I got some other stuff to do right now,
Mama always said I was a "busy baby."
Here is a busy image:

tu2
Rip

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
In the seemingly mad rush to generate quantity over quality I will contribute to the thread.
Besides, I like Tusker. beer

quote:
Anyone who claims the .458 Winchester Magnum is ineffective has either not tried one ...

So -- I claim that the 458 WM is an ineffective oribi, impala, and hartebeest gun at 200-300 yards, especially those folks that use irons instead of a 5"-eye-relief Slughunter or Inline.
Oh, you can make the 458 work, but the same 350grain bullets aren't usually the best for buffalo, too. popcorn

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
In the seemingly mad rush to generate quantity over quality I will contribute to the thread.
Besides, I like Tusker. beer

quote:
Anyone who claims the .458 Winchester Magnum is ineffective has either not tried one ...

So -- I claim that the 458 WM is an ineffective oribi, impala, and hartebeest gun at 200-300 yards, especially those folks that use irons instead of a 5"-eye-relief Slughunter or Inline.
Oh, you can make the 458 work, but the same 350grain bullets aren't usually the best for buffalo, too. popcorn

RIP, will shortly put you in your place.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:

jwp475,

Nice article in Dec. 2017 American Hunter, congrats on the .454 Casull "Lucy" mountain lion. tu2

I have decided to let some of the dotards of this thread go unchallenged. That sort of "quantity" is really not worth the depreciation in "quality."
Some of them are my elders and I do not want to be accused of elder abuse.

Besides, if you wrestle with a dotard, they usually spill their drool bucket on you.

do·tard
[ doh-terd]

NOUN
a person, especially an old person, exhibiting a decline in mental faculties; a weak-minded or foolish old person.
doater.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/dotard

tu2
Rip

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
The H322 is great with 400-grainers.
AA-2230 is a little faster, but not as accurate.
Adding a 1/8"-thick foam wad over the 80.0 grains of AA-2230 seems to have no effect,
except preventing the 95% full load from moving inside the case.
Such a trifle is meaningless.
If I get some .458/400-grain HV bullets,
I will resume with 80.0 grains of AA-2230 and work up to a 100% volumetric filling load, or pressure signs,
whatever comes first.
Likewise resume with 76.0 grains of H322 and work up with compressed loads.
I have had only low-pressure loads so far. tu2

The rifle is still sighted dead-on at 100 yards with the 300-grain TTSX at 2640 fps, a fun load, great for deer hunting, and most accurate so far.

If I get a 400-grain HV to do 2500 fps and 0.5 MOA for 3 shots, I will re-zero the rifle. tu2

Of course a 450-grain North Fork at 2400 fps and 0.5 MOA would be worth a re-zeroing too.
Let the lighter and heavier bullets impact where they may. tu2

450-grain North Forks are next.
GSC makes a .458-cal/450-grain HV also ...
tu2
Rip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am way late to this thread, but it isn’t really complicated. The 458 Win works great and the Lott adds another 100 fps and with that a little more flexibility in load development. I just don’t see what the argument is about......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am way late to this thread, but it isn’t really complicated. The 458 Win works great and the Lott adds another 100 fps and with that a little more flexibility in load development. I just don’t see what the argument is about......

It is an Internet forum. Like the 270 Vs the 280 Remington etc. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Without getting into the discussion between the .458 WM/Lott comparisons, I've always wondered if the real reason Winchester made their .458 the length it is was because it's made to fit into the .30-06 length pre 64 model 70 action without alteration?

Yes I know they also chambered the .375 H&H in it but since they likely also had in mind even in 1956 a family of short magnums ( .264, .300 & .338) that would be introduced later. No gun manufacturer ever dumps several new cartridges on the market at once.

It also makes on wonder what they would do today with the new m70 classic's that fixed several limitations of the pre 64's, one being the action length? Food for thought.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some of them are my elders

I wonder.
RIP, were you born before or after the mid-mark of the last century? I landed on the watershed year.

Anyway, for me the thread pre-sages a decision that I may face in 5-10 years. If one uses one rifle in a forest, and 6000ft#-muzzle-energy-and-up starts to feel excessive, then how does one downsize?

Does one take a 458WM?
Or does one grab a 416Ruger?
Or does one go all the way down to a 375Ruger?
(You can see that I value simple practicality and portability over nostalgia. We all make our choices.)

I've assumed that the 416Ruger would get the nod, but I'll wait until the time arrives. And I will have the memories of this thread to help with the choices. The 458 isn't a bad caliber.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:

jwp475,

Nice article in Dec. 2017 American Hunter, congrats on the .454 Casull "Lucy" mountain lion. tu2

I have decided to let some of the dotards of this thread go unchallenged. That sort of "quantity" is really not worth the depreciation in "quality."
Some of them are my elders and I do not want to be accused of elder abuse.

Besides, if you wrestle with a dotard, they usually spill their drool bucket on you.

do·tard
[ doh-terd]

NOUN
a person, especially an old person, exhibiting a decline in mental faculties; a weak-minded or foolish old person.
doater.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/dotard

tu2
Rip

That should keep them in line for a while. tu2

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to page 26.

quote:

Go back and look at the drawings of the SAAMI .458 Win.Mag. throat superimposed on the SAAMI .458 Lott throat.
You will see that you can WinMag-ize a .458 Lott by adding some leade to the Lott,
simply by running a .458 WinMag reamer into the Lott.
A .458 WinMag re-chambered to .458 Lott is similarly gifted.
You can beat any .458 Lott load in a .458 WinMag,
if the bullet is long enough.
I have proven that some short, light bullets, and even cast bullets
can be used with sub-MOA accuracy and good, gamefield velocity in a SAAMI .458 Win.Mag.

I just don't see how the .458 Lott is more flexible for load development, when you can load the .458 Win.Mag. to longer COL than you can a Lott,
and you can certainly load the .458 Win.Mag. to shorter COL than you can a Lott.
animal
Rip...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

and you can certainly load the .458 Win.Mag. to shorter COL than. you can a Lott.

What if you use the 458 Win brass in the Lott?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
quote:

and you can certainly load the .458 Win.Mag. to shorter COL than. you can a Lott.

What if you use the 458 Win brass in the Lott?

Mike,
Do you really need that explained to you?
I think you are smart enough to figure that one out for yourself.
rotflmo

I do think Hornady used a trick out of the .458 Win.Mag. bag for their factory .458 Lott loads.
Lo and behold, the factory ammo brass (.458 Lott) after firing and re-sizing once, is only 2.775" long.
Hornady shortened the case to give the bullet a little longer jump, to keep pressures down.
animal
The Hornady handloading data for a .458 Lott shows 24" barrel attained only 2250 fps (500-grainers) with one powder: Win 748.
TAC and H335 got 2200 fps.
All other powders tested maxed out at 2150 fps or less.
(see previous Ross Seyfried article on the .458 Lott).

Most factory ammo ballistics on the package are a bit on the optimistic side,
usually explained away by "tight barrel grooves" or "26" barrel" or longer.
In most .458 Lott rifles Hornady factory ammo does a bit less than the 2300 fps that they claim on the package for 500-grain softs and solids,
which I have found to be more like 2200 and 2250 fps respectively, in a 25" CZ-USA, factory-chambered .458 Lott.
Guesstimate that at 2175 and 2225 fps respectively for a 24" barrel.
Maybe the CZ barrel is loose, .459"-grooved?

That great early reporting on the wonders of the .458 Lott was derived from early rifles reamed from .458 Win.Mag. to .458 Lott with no setback.
They still had that long leade from the original .458 Win.mag. chamber.
Probably same applies to .450 Ackley, etc., me-toos.
They all rode on the coattails of the .458 Win.Mag.
tu2
Rip...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Welcome to page 26.

quote:

Go back and look at the drawings of the SAAMI .458 Win.Mag. throat superimposed on the SAAMI .458 Lott throat.
You will see that you can WinMag-ize a .458 Lott by adding some leade to the Lott,

My Lott has more than enough lead to allow a magazine length 3.85" bullet seating depth with the 1.6" long Barnes 500 grain TSX. It has even more lead with a conventionally shaped bullet like the Hornady 500 grain DGS.

quote:

At best the 458 Win could EQUAL the Lott if the bullet is long enough and the magazine short enough. The longest bullet I have is the 500 grain TSX. They are about 1.6" long. In a 3.6" magazine box a 1.6" bullet leaves 2" for powder. In the Win Mag there is .5" of bullet in the case and in the Lott there is .8" of bullet inside the case. In this scenario velocities should be the same and each cartridge has adequate bullet grip.

Now in a 3.85" magazine like with my CZ there is 2.25" for powder, and seating to magazine length will give the Win mag .25" of bullet in the case and the Lott .55". In this scenario the Win mag does NOT have enough bullet grip while the Lott is fine. The Win mag would need to be seated at 3.6" while the Lott could be seated to 3.85" and thus the Lott--having more powder, will produce a higher velocity.

If we run the numbers with a more conventional length bullet, like the Hornady 500 grain DGX which is 1.375" long, the Winny can't even take full advantage of a 3.6" magazine while the Lott can.

Let's take this further. A 45-70 vs a 458 Win in a 3.34" magazine, which is what the 458 Win was originally designed for. Using the 500 grain TSX, there is 1.74" of powder space available and the 45-70 has a 2.10" long case. The first groove on a 500 grain TSX is at .36" so it could be crimped there. So in a 3.34" magazine (Pre 64 M-70 "short" magnum" or a post 64 with the stupid magazine spacer not removed), the 45-70 should be able to equal the 458 Win Mag with a 500 grain TSX.

quote:
I just don't see how the .458 Lott is more flexible for load development, when you can load the .458 Win.Mag. to longer COL than you can a Lott, and you can certainly load the .458 Win.Mag. to shorter COL than. you can a Lott.

458 Win Mag velocities are indeed acceptable. Because the Lott has more case capacity it is able to achieve acceptable velocities with a wider range of powders, and can if desired exceed Win mag velocities at the same pressure levels.

All that said, I can't imagine that someone else hasn't already pointed all this out in this thread. I think what likely bothers you, along with the old articles that trash the 458 Win, is how the data for a 458 Win is based off a 3.34" magazine box that few people will limit themselves to. That extra .26" x .45" of powder space is not insignificant in an underbore chambering like the 458 Win, so factory ammo and handloading data understates the 458 Win Mag's true potential. BTW, they do the same with with the Lott, also an underbore chambering, by limiting it to a 3.6" magazine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A better drawing has been found than that hand-sketched one by Jack Lott, previously posted on this thread:

(Nick Harvey, GUNS AUSTRALIA "The .458 Lott - A Whole Lotta Gun" October/December 2001, pp. 64-67.)

quote:
quote:
Welcome to page 26.

quote:

My Lott has more than enough lead to allow a magazine length 3.85" bullet seating depth with the 1.6" long Barnes 500 grain TSX. It has even more lead with a conventionally shaped bullet like the Hornady 500 grain DGS.

Minor technicality: The Barnes TSX has NO LEAD, it is made of copper only. If you meant LEADE, well, all bullets have no leade. Throats have leade, bullets have ogives.
You get it, I know, just a typo.

quote:

At best the 458 Win could EQUAL the Lott if the bullet is long enough and the magazine short enough.

I assume you mean if the .458 Lott magazine was short enough to handicap it to 3.6" COL?
Forget the magazine lengths on both for sake of the discussion.
Either rifle could be built with box from 3.4" to 3.8",
you could always trim the .458 Lott brass shorter if need be.

The longest bullet I have is the 500 grain TSX. They are about 1.6" long. In a 3.6" magazine box a 1.6" bullet leaves 2" for powder. In the Win Mag there is .5" of bullet in the case and in the Lott there is .8" of bullet inside the case. In this scenario velocities should be the same and each cartridge has adequate bullet grip.

Oversimplified, neglects the solid case head brass thickness, same for both, but OK for sake of discussion.
Also the .458 Win.Mag. initial millisecond volume of combustion chamber will be effectively enlarged by slightly longer free travel before engaging the rifling. But that is just free-bore effect, attribute that to throat effects, which is pepper, not fly speck!
See throat length at end of this post.

Now in a 3.85" magazine like with my CZ there is 2.25" for powder, and seating to magazine length will give the Win mag .25" of bullet in the case and the Lott .55". In this scenario the Win mag does NOT have enough bullet grip while the Lott is fine. The Win mag would need to be seated at 3.6" while the Lott could be seated to 3.85" and thus the Lott--having more powder, will produce a higher velocity.

Congratulations, you must have a Lott with remnant .458 WinMag throat.
I have a .458 Lott that was chambered with a SAAMI .458 Win.Mag. throat and it will accept the 500-grain Barnes TSX crimped on the 4th groove
(about 0.480" from base of bullet to top of 4th groove, which is next to last of the 5 grooves on the bullet)
and not the 5th groove, it runs out of throat.
My SAAMI .458 Win.Mag. will accept the 500-grain Barnes TSX crimped on the 5th groove
(about 0.360" from base of bullet to top of that groove).
With the excellent cannelures for crimping offered by the TSX grooves, I would not think of adding any, nor in seating beyond the 5th groove.
I do believe that 0.3" is plenty to get adequate neck tension with a cannelure added when one is not already located there,
plus use of the Lee Factory Crimp die.
It works for me.

If we run the numbers with a more conventional length bullet, like the Hornady 500 grain DGX which is 1.375" long, the Winny can't even take full advantage of a 3.6" magazine while the Lott can.

That bullet works fine in the .458 Win.Mag at 3.340" COL, 2200 fps,
and at lower pressure than is required for the Lott at nearly 3.6" COL to move it along at 50 fps faster.
Both maxed out.
I'll take the .458 WinMag at 3.340" COL at 2200 fps.
The shorter COL seems to be a better feeder in the longer box with FN solids, as an added benefit.

Let's take this further. A 45-70 vs a 458 Win in a 3.34" magazine, which is what the 458 Win was originally designed for.

OK, strong single-shot .45-70 Govt. versus magazine repeater SAAMI .458 Win.Mag.

Using the 500 grain TSX, there is 1.74" of powder space available and the 45-70 has a 2.10" long case. The first groove

I called it the 5th groove above, reversed numbering.

on a 500 grain TSX is at .36" so it could be crimped there. So in a 3.34" magazine (Pre 64 M-70 "short" magnum" or a post 64 with the stupid magazine spacer not removed), the 45-70 should be able to equal the 458 Win Mag with a 500 grain TSX.

Only if you gave the .45-70 a throat like on the .458 Win.Mag.
Man this is really old hat!
Everybody knows a Ruger No.1 in .45-70 Govt. can cook with gas!

quote:
I just don't see how the .458 Lott is more flexible for load development, when you can load the .458 Win.Mag. to longer COL than you can a Lott, and you can certainly load the .458 Win.Mag. to shorter COL than. you can a Lott.

458 Win Mag velocities are indeed acceptable. Because the Lott has more case capacity it is able to achieve acceptable velocities with a wider range of powders, and can if desired exceed Win mag velocities at the same pressure levels.

And when you load the .458 Win.Mag. long, you open it up to all the "flexibility"
with many powders, same as in the .458 Lott.
You also improve accuracy of the .458 Win.Mag.
something for which the .458 Lott is not particularly noted.
Plus, whatever the max you can do in the .458 Lott is, you are going to have a little more room for pressure let off by the longer leade in the .458 Win.Mag. You will have to add more powder and get higher velocity by the time you get your pressure back up to what the Lott is doing.

All that said, I can't imagine that someone else hasn't already pointed all this out in this thread.

Actually, you said you have not read all of the thread, and that comment says so again.

I think what likely bothers you,

What? Bothers me? I am not bothered at all. I am having a great time, rediscovering the .458 Win.Mag., the much maligned "bastard" of a cartridge that is much better than what the sheep have been bleating about it.

along with the old articles that trash the 458 Win, is how the data for a 458 Win is based off a 3.34" magazine box that few people will limit themselves to. That extra .26" x .45" of powder space is not insignificant in an underbore chambering like the 458 Win, so factory ammo and handloading data understates the 458 Win Mag's true potential. BTW, they do the same with with the Lott, also an underbore chambering, by limiting it to a 3.6" magazine.

Finished with a good thought anyway.

Difference between the throats by SAAMI, measured simply as distance from breech bolt face:

.458 Lott: The leade reduces to .458" in diameter at 3.0143" from the breech bolt face.
.458 Winchester Magnum: The leade reduces to .458" in diameter at 3.1725" from the breech bolt face.

That is a Whole Lotta Throat on the .458 Win.Mag.
A SAAMI .458 Win.Mag. can be loaded longer than a SAAMI .458 Lott.
Dang the torpedoes, full speed ahead!
I cleaned that last line up a bit.
tu2
Rip...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A better drawing has been found than that hand-sketched one by Jack Lott, previously posted on this thread:

(Nick Harvey, GUNS AUSTRALIA "The .458 Lott - A Whole Lotta Gun" October/December 2001, pp. 64-67.)

quote:
quote:
Welcome to page 26.

quote:

Minor technicality: The Barnes TSX has NO LEAD, it is made of copper only. If you meant LEADE, well, all bullets have no leade. Throats have leade, bullets have ogives.
You get it, I know, just a typo.

quote:

At best the 458 Win could EQUAL the Lott if the bullet is long enough and the magazine short enough.

I assume you mean if the .458 Lott magazine was short enough to handicap it to 3.6" COL?
Forget the magazine lengths on both for sake of the discussion.
Either rifle could be built with box from 3.4" to 3.8",
you could always trim the .458 Lott brass shorter if need be.

The longest bullet I have is the 500 grain TSX. They are about 1.6" long. In a 3.6" magazine box a 1.6" bullet leaves 2" for powder. In the Win Mag there is .5" of bullet in the case and in the Lott there is .8" of bullet inside the case. In this scenario velocities should be the same and each cartridge has adequate bullet grip.

Oversimplified, neglects the solid case head brass thickness, same for both, but OK for sake of discussion.
Also the .458 Win.Mag. initial millisecond volume of combustion chamber will be effectively enlarged by slightly longer free travel before engaging the rifling. But that is just free-bore effect, attribute that to throat effects, which is pepper, not fly speck!
See throat length at end of this post.

Congratulations, you must have a Lott with remnant .458 WinMag throat.
I have a .458 Lott that was chambered with a SAAMI .458 Win.Mag. throat and it will accept the 500-grain Barnes TSX crimped on the 4th groove
(about 0.480" from base of bullet to top of 4th groove, which is next to last of the 5 grooves on the bullet)
and not the 5th groove, it runs out of throat.
My SAAMI .458 Win.Mag. will accept the 500-grain Barnes TSX crimped on the 5th groove
(about 0.360" from base of bullet to top of that groove).
With the excellent cannelures for crimping offered by the TSX grooves, I would not think of adding any, nor in seating beyond the 5th groove.
I do believe that 0.3" is plenty to get adequate neck tension with a cannelure added when one is not already located there,
plus use of the Lee Factory Crimp die.
It works for me.

That bullet works fine in the .458 Win.Mag at 3.340" COL, 2200 fps,
and at lower pressure than is required for the Lott at nearly 3.6" COL to move it along at 50 fps faster.
Both maxed out.
I'll take the .458 WinMag at 3.340" COL at 2200 fps.
The shorter COL seems to be a better feeder in the longer box with FN solids, as an added benefit.

Let's take this further. A 45-70 vs a 458 Win in a 3.34" magazine, which is what the 458 Win was originally designed for.

OK, strong single-shot .45-70 Govt. versus magazine repeater SAAMI .458 Win.Mag.

Using the 500 grain TSX, there is 1.74" of powder space available and the 45-70 has a 2.10" long case. The first groove

I called it the 5th groove above, reversed numbering.

on a 500 grain TSX is at .36" so it could be crimped there. So in a 3.34" magazine (Pre 64 M-70 "short" magnum" or a post 64 with the stupid magazine spacer not removed), the 45-70 should be able to equal the 458 Win Mag with a 500 grain TSX.

Only if you gave the .45-70 a throat like on the .458 Win.Mag.
Man this is really old hat!
Everybody knows a Ruger No.1 in .45-70 Govt. can cook with gas!

quote:

And when you load the .458 Win.Mag. long, you open it up to all the "flexibility"
with many powders, same as in the .458 Lott.
You also improve accuracy of the .458 Win.Mag.
something for which the .458 Lott is not particularly noted.
Plus, whatever the max you can do in the .458 Lott is, you are going to have a little more room for pressure let off by the longer leade in the .458 Win.Mag. You will have to add more powder and get higher velocity by the time you get your pressure back up to what the Lott is doing.

All that said, I can't imagine that someone else hasn't already pointed all this out in this thread.

Actually, you said you have not read all of the thread, and that comment says so again.

I think what likely bothers you,

What? Bothers me? I am not bothered at all. I am having a great time, rediscovering the .458 Win.Mag., the much maligned "bastard" of a cartridge that is much better than what the sheep have been bleating about it.

along with the old articles that trash the 458 Win, is how the data for a 458 Win is based off a 3.34" magazine box that few people will limit themselves to. That extra .26" x .45" of powder space is not insignificant in an underbore chambering like the 458 Win, so factory ammo and handloading data understates the 458 Win Mag's true potential. BTW, they do the same with with the Lott, also an underbore chambering, by limiting it to a 3.6" magazine.

Finished with a good thought anyway.

Difference between the throats by SAAMI, measured simply as distance from breech bolt face:

.458 Lott: The leade reduces to .458" in diameter at 3.0143" from the breech bolt face.
.458 Winchester Magnum: The leade reduces to .458" in diameter at 3.1725" from the breech bolt face.

That is a Whole Lotta Throat on the .458 Win.Mag.
A SAAMI .458 Win.Mag. can be loaded longer than a SAAMI .458 Lott.
Dang the torpedoes, full speed ahead!
I cleaned that last line up a bit.
tu2
Rip...

I obviously spoke past you—magazine length is CRITICAL to understanding each cartridge’s potential. Throats are easy to change and thus not as limiting. The bottom line is the Lott will generate more velocity at similar pressure levels as the Win do to the Lott’s increased case capacity unless you maximize the Win and constrain the Lott. There is no more “ancient hat” than concept of increasing case capacity to increase velocity and it is silly to quibble and say otherwise. When both are throated properly with optimum length magazine boxes, the Lott has about 10% more powder capacity and in these very efficient underbore cases that seems to give the Lott another 100 fps over the Win. That isn’t anywhere near the 400 fps claimed in Cartridges of the Word, but more case capacity equals more velocity in all but carefully configured scenarios.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah ha! I see!

I want to keep the standard SAAMI chambers, for the two standard cartridges,
and put the cartridges in any action length that will accept both,
either 3.6" or 3.8".

But you want to quibble over easily changing the throats?
That creates a new cartridge, which steals the SAAMI .458 Win.Mag.'s "Longclaw" thunder.
You want to make a Non-SAAMI .458 Lott "Longclaw," eh?
shame
I've got a couple of those, and one of them is getting turned back into a SAAMI .458 Win.Mag.,
with a 3.8" box length.
Standard SAAMI chambers only.

I will keep the 3.6"-boxed .458 Lott "Longclaw" as a conversation piece, a reminder of what not to do to a SAAMI .458 Win.Mag., maybe use it as a gunshow exhibit to educate kids.
And besides it is so ugly it is cute.

tu2
Rip...

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
RIP, has this figured out he has the spec’s, the facts. tu2

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
RIP, what if your rifle is chambered for the 458 Watts?

- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
RIP, has this figured out he has the spec’s, the facts. tu2

jwp,

Flattery will get YOU nowhere, but keep it up.
I am just trying not to be a sheep.
tu2
Rip...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Then I will be able to fire .458 Lott ammo in a pinch.
That extra .050" of case length on the .450 Watts Magnum chamber gives it that sort of "flexibility" anyway.
rotflmo
Some truly wild claims were made about the .450 Watts:
"400 grain Barnes bullet, 2943 fps"
"500 grain Barnes bullet, 2563 fps"
according to Harvey B. Anderson, Sr., in a 1950 advertisement.
"These loads give well over 7,000 lbs. muzzle energy. Pressures are at or below 50,000 lbs. per square inch, which is normal, with the bolt action."
Harvey was a snake oil salesman and talented gunsmith. He was also landlord of James Watts.
James Watts was the guy who invented almost everything,
with half his brain tied behind his back.
tu2
Rip...

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Then I will be able to fire .458 Lott ammo in a pinch.
That extra .050" of case length on the .450 Watts Magnum chamber gives it that sort of "flexibility" anyway.
rotflmo
Some truly wild claims were made about the .450 Watts:
"400 grain Barnes bullet, 2943 fps"
"500 grain Barnes bullet, 2563 fps"
according to Harvey B. Anderson, Sr., in a 1950 advertisement.
"These loads give well over 7,000 lbs. muzzle energy. Pressures are at or below 50,000 lbs. per square inch, which is normal, with the bolt action."
Harvey was a snake oil salesman and talented gunsmith. He was also landlord of James Watts.
James Watts was the guy who invented almost everything,
with half his brain tied behind his back.
tu2
Rip...

I understand that all 3 458 Lott, win mad and Watts could be fired in the Watts chamber. My question pertains to loading the Watts case and firing in this chamber, is there any gain to be made?

- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
jwp475,

Thanks for your enhancement of THE MISSION of the Four-Five-Eight Brothers (page count).

Probably many of the .450 Watts Magnum rifles (2.850" brass) out there are converted from .458 Win.Mag. factory rifles.
They are indistinguishable ballistically from a .458 Lott made the same way with 50-thou-shorter brass.
You just have to be sure not to pinch your case mouth by loading Watts brass into a .458 Lott chamber.

I have never seen the ORIGINAL .450 Watts Magnum reamer drawing to look at the throat specs.
I am beginning to wonder if Winchester copied the original Watts throat to come up with that wild, wide, long, leade-only-funnel throat.
Only amateurs such as Watts and Anderson could come up with something so daring, eh?
Maybe, maybe not.
Well, it worked out well, however it happened, and it is better now than it used to be,
and that is pretty dang good.

The stated goal in development of the .458 Express (3") by those reprobates in South Africa:
To re-chamber .458 Win.Mag. rifles of the BRNO and CZ ilk.
shame
The performance levels they got were no different than a .458 Win.Mag. LongCOL/Longclaw.
tu2
Rip...