THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Terminal Bullet Performance
Page 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... 304

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terminal Bullet Performance Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC RIP loaded some 3/8" brass all thread in something or other .375 ... maybe he can report the result ...

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Michael:

I'm betting those 250 grain 9.3 Banded Solids are going to surprise you Big Grin

Dave

I wish you to be correct! But if I was a betting fellow, this one I would bet on to lose. I wish it wasn't so. As you see they are ready to go. I may be able to get to them in the morning??? But no promises just yet, it is wicked hot here, even the indoor range is rather warm.

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Sounds great Micheal. Thanks.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Excellent work! It is interesting to see how much difference the meplat size makes in straight penetration. Now if we can see how the modifided hydro bullet works. Corbin's bullet worked great and let me know before you put an order together because I might want to get in on it. Those wadcutter bullets did pretty good but we need to figure out what resistance the sides of the bullets makes in how they penetrate. Does a rounded side work better than an angled side? Next maybe a finned dart solid in a sabot. I think you will someday find that perfect solid to go through both your boxes and into the back wall!

Sam

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The multigroove seem to be a shorter hybrid version of the barnes banded. You could put one groove on the bottom and then skip a goove or two and leave the multi crimp on the top to lessen bearing surface even more.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Very interesting results with Corbin’s 510gr MG FNS…70-inches of straight line within mass penetration! I pulled up your load sheet for the 510gr SST FNS to compare results; 2225fps impact speed @ 22yds resulted in 64-inches of straight line within mass penetration…same penetration as the 510gr 2-Groove Solid.

Sam’s 438gr and 460gr Wadcutter Solids also did very well…right there with the 455gr JDJ FN; it’ll be interesting to see the penetration with a Wadcutter Solid at 510gr or 550gr.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Got my big Barnes banded in 500 and 577 yesterday so we can try those doubles again soon. I might just make some wadcutters for them too for fun. I will put more bands on the next ones. So is 65% to 70% meplat the ideal size?
I see that my goofy bullets still did as good or better than Woodleigh round nose solids. I bet those wadcutter bullets would make a good wound channel.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Sam

Today I believe that 65% is about optimum for driving straight and deepest penetration. Above 65% is good, but I think when we start to get to 75% that penetration is less above that point. Dead straight, and more trauma to target, but starting to get lesser penetration. What we need to do in the future is pick a design, hard to be the barnes banded profile, then make meplats of 80%-70%-60%-50%-40% of caliber. Another good one that we could work with and you already know, is the modified hydro you did, that would work also.
Close to the same weight is needed. At least 2 each to begin with. This would answer the meplat size question once and for all.

My bets are here

80% dead straight but less penetration than 70%

70% dead straight, more penetration than 80%

60% will do good if the twist is fast, might penetrate deeper than 70% but will loose stability at the end of penetration, last few inches.

50% will have to have a fast twist, will not stabilize in slow twist

40% may not stabilize even in a fast twist and will veer off course early.

I bet if you measure those 500s and 577s Barnes you will see something around 65% meplat of caliber! I also place big bets they will drive deep and straight on their own, regardless of the twist rate in the doubles!

We will see won't we?

Oh and yes your goofy Bottle Necks did better than RN solids, but that ain't saying a whole lot. HEH! The big wadcutters did 100% dead straight! But I knew they would.

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Boomy

You are correct, as are the SSK bullets, I am responsible for the use of that nose profile in the .500 calibers to be honest.

Jim

I am pretty much online with the multi grooves now. I just have to see for myself, and shooting some of these this week seems to confirm. The multi groove and the 2 groove were shot side by side. A little bit more velocity in the multi looks to have got a bit more penetration? Of course really this is not a big enough sample to confirm that. Don't have that many to work with, and I knew regardless that both would work great, thus the smaller sample. But it seems to have added that question.

M

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
Jim

I am pretty much online with the multi grooves now. I just have to see for myself, and shooting some of these this week seems to confirm. The multi groove and the 2 groove were shot side by side. A little bit more velocity in the multi looks to have got a bit more penetration? Of course really this is not a big enough sample to confirm that. Don't have that many to work with, and I knew regardless that both would work great, thus the smaller sample. But it seems to have added that question.
M
Michael,

You’re lucky in that you’ve already validated the .500 caliber SSK bullet line and now have benchmarks to compare prototype bullets against. It’ll be interesting to see the initial results hold true with a greater sample test.

Here’s a couple questions to consider, “Using the same powder lot and powder charge amount…are you receiving an increase in velocity simultaneous with a decrease in pressure with the 510gr Multi-Groove Copper FNS bullet vis-à-vis the benchmark 510gr SST Copper FNS bullet? And what additional performance benefit, if any, would reducing the engraving footprint of the upper and lower bands provide?”

Just something to ponder should you decide to do a greater sample test of the Multi-Groove Copper FNS bullet. Roll Eyes

Edit Added: Driving bands…few-wide, swoopy, many-narrow, or blunted-saw tooth…many options, but which is most efficient? From a bullet seating option standpoint the many-narrow bands are at the pinnacle, followed by the blunted-saw tooth, swoopy, and lastly the few-wide bands. From a pressure and velocity standpoint…while I have no empirical evidence to substantiate my listing I believe it would be listed as follows: swoopy at the pinnacle, followed by the many-narrow and blunted-saw tooth, and lastly by the few-wide bands. Through in a mix of band styles and widths and the bullet may move up or down in the listing. Perhaps with this latest testing Michael will reveal some insight into whether one receives a free ride with some styles over others…meaning an increase in velocity simultaneous with a decrease in pressure…of course would require Michael using his pressure testing equipment along with his chronographic equipment…

Michael…Just thought of something…this would merge Boomy’s and my comments regarding the bands and grooves. Why not have David produce a small sample of .500 caliber Copper FNS bullets for testing…using the current bullet length and nose profile of the 510gr SSK Copper FNS but with revised bands: start the bands at the current upper band position but style all bands and grooves from top to bottom after the 330gr 416-200 .416 DOA HP bullet. This might give a good comparison alternative to the 510gr Multi-Groove Copper FNS to determine which being slightly different from Sam’s banding style…could lead to identifying the most efficient banding/grooving scenario for .500 caliber hunting bullets.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Jim

I have to admit, I am interested in the driving bands myself. In the near future we can set up a test and see just what the story is. This would require like bullets, exactly as you suggested the 510 SSK Solid would be perfect for this. However getting David to run a small sample just seems to be near impossible these days, getting to be even more difficult to get an order done it seems.

I will see what I can get done on that soonest. I think probably the best bet right now would be to get Corbin's new guy to make a run for me. Seemed to be superb bullets! And also give us a second source, which would be important to me.

I was afraid at some point you would want to hook up the pressure trace! I probably do need to do some work on the 500 MDM anyway, so would probably choose one of those for that.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Dave, there is no joy or happiness in the 9.3 camp tonight!

Now can someone tell me why the 320 Woodleigh FMJ does so good in straight line penetration, but the 286 cannot repeat or do the same? Same nose profile as far as I can tell???

M

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Dave, I did expect this however.

With the experiences of the 286 Barnes Banded I did not expect the 250 version to do well. It seems that my prediction was correct on this one. What I do want to point out below is the differences between the 9.3 Barnes banded and the 338 Barnes Banded. As I recall, nearly all the Barnes Banded meplats run around 65% of caliber as we measure from stampings. Very consistent, 510s, 470s, 458s, 416s, all running at or around 65% of caliber. Why in the world would Barnes change that and the nose profile on the 9.3 versions? I have no answer. As you can see, big difference.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Michael:

Thanks for doing the test. I was hoping that something about the Barnes 250 banded solid would work and was, like you, very, very surprised that the 286 Woodleigh didn't do better. I really like the 250 TSX in my 9.3 but this means that I have to go back to the drawing board and I am not sure what I am going to do. On the upside, Jason Morton at CZ advised me that Swift is coming out with a 286 grain .366 bullet in the very near future. I know I can get around this with my Blaser with two scopes, one for the 250 grain TSX bullets if I wanted to shoot plains game and one for the 320 grain Woodleighs if I wanted to use my 9.3 for Buff/bison. I am going to get a note of to Barnes and let them know what you found out.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Well you were right the meplat on the 577 Barnes is about 65% so it should do well.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Dave

I was very surprised at the poor showing of the 286 Woodleigh when the 320 makes such a good showing????

I like the 250 TSX myself, probably my favorite 9.3 bullet in the 9.3 B&M. Extremely accurate.

But hold on before going overboard. I am placing an order, right now, on the other computer for some 286 North Fork solids. I suspect that is going to be the answer!

There is a Barnes tech that is supposed to be lurking around somewhere, maybe he can chime in on this for us?

Sam

Yes, every Barnes we have measured comes in around 65% meplat. Why in the world would Barnes make the 9.3 different?

Man, those big 577s will be a hooooooooot!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Michael:

I just got off the phone with Ryan at Barnes customer service. I told him what you had found and pointed him to this thread and these results. He was going to talk to one of the bullet designers and drop me an e-mail. I will let you know what I find out.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
> Dave: "I am going to get a note of to Barnes and let them know what you found out."

A Barnes rep was watching the thread a few months ago. So they may already know at Barnes, but a note would help. I'm just glad for my 338s that we have a solid backup to the 225 TTSX, 250 TSX and now a 265 TTSX that I haven't tried yet (all in 338).

Anyone on this thread want to request a lightweight 300 grain TTSX in .416 from Barnes? Seems to me that the better BC would be useful if someone goes to the 300 grain for added velocity. They've got the .338 and .375 pretty well covered, but the 416 is a little thin with the changes over the years. Very happy for the .416 350's, of course, with or without the blue tip. I see the 300 grain 416 as one of the last of the calibres that one might want for double duty at long range (300-400 y/m in Africa is very long range).

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Dave

Sounds fine. Corbin has also mentioned this very same thing to some at Barnes too. Maybe we get an answer of why the change in the nose profile and the smaller meplat?

North Forks are ordered and should have them next week! We will give them a go and see.

Also got some 416 caliber 370 CPS to try too.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Tanzan

There is a 300 TSX, it has been shooting great and good terminal performance too in my 416 B&Ms.

The 350 TSX are fantastic. We have been using those on plains game and such and they work as good as you can ask for.

M

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
The only issue with the Barnes 9.3 banded is the nose profile and the meplat. If they would change it to match ALL their other banded solids it would be a big winner. Same nose profile, and 65% meplat for caliber, that's it!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jim

I have to admit, I am interested in the driving bands myself. In the near future we can set up a test and see just what the story is. This would require like bullets, exactly as you suggested the 510 SSK Solid would be perfect for this. Yep…established benchmark bullet. However getting David to run a small sample just seems to be near impossible these days, getting to be even more difficult to get an order done it seems. Unfortunately success seems to generate backlogs and delayed delivery timeframes.

I will see what I can get done on that soonest. I think probably the best bet right now would be to get Corbin's new guy to make a run for me. Seemed to be superb bullets! And also give us a second source, which would be important to me. Agree with second source and his saw tooth banded bullets work very well. How about approaching him to run a few…say 20 bullet batches…of some alternative style bands and groove configurations? Once a band/groove style is settled upon perhaps he’d a run a version of the 470gr SST Copper HP with the new style band/groove configuration.

I was afraid at some point you would want to hook up the pressure trace! I probably do need to do some work on the 500 MDM anyway, so would probably choose one of those for that. LOL Obviously this is why you need to keep all of the new 500 MDM rifles so that you’ll always have one ready for pressure trace work!

Michael
Michael,

I’ve added some comments in red to your post. Big Grin

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Just to bring this back up again! Kinda ugly with all my ugly comments on there!

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tanzan

There is a 300 TSX, it has been shooting great and good terminal performance too in my 416 B&Ms.

The 350 TSX are fantastic. We have been using those on plains game and such and they work as good as you can ask for.

M

Yes, the 300 TSX is available. I held off this year because of the low BC and we already have plenty of 350s. The 350 has plenty of range and energy to about 300 yards, but starts to drop off towards 400. (Actually, I've only used smaller calibres over 250 yards, but it is sometimes nice to know that one can go flat if one has to.)

I only get about one chance a year to carry stuff over to the Continent, so I'm hoping that a 300 TTSX might be available by early 2011. If not, I'll just have to flip a coin about more 350s or adding a box of 300s. These are the difficult choices in life. beer

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Yeah those 577's are really cool looking. I can't wait to smack an elephant in the face with one from about 15 feet.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Tanzan

I like the 350 TSX and 350 Banded combo in the 416 B&M. In 18 inches of barrel I can run them at 2425 or so and use them in a pinch for buffalo should I choose to. And since I can't see 300 yds I damn sure don't need to be shooting 300 yds! HEH! So I will just have to continue to be sneaky!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Michael,

Yeah those 577's are really cool looking. I can't wait to smack an elephant in the face with one from about 15 feet.

Sam

Sam

That works for me! Just imagining the powder burns! LOL

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tanzan

I like the 350 TSX and 350 Banded combo in the 416 B&M. In 18 inches of barrel I can run them at 2425 or so and use them in a pinch for buffalo should I choose to. And since I can't see 300 yds I damn sure don't need to be shooting 300 yds! HEH! So I will just have to continue to be sneaky!

Michael
I can definitely attest that the 350gr TSX, along with a couple of other manufacturer’s 350gr C&C spire points, are accurate at 325yds from Michael’s 18” barrel 416 B&M M70…I just cranked the scope up to 5X power and could see that pair of skivvies quite well. With a little more time with the rifle and fine tuning the scope for my eyesight and method of holding the rifle and I would have no qualms whatsoever of that bullet/cartridge combinations ability to cleanly/humanly kill hunted game at 300-350yds even though with my eyesight I prefer to keep long shots within 200yds.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:
quote:
Tanzan

Michael
I can definitely attest that the 350gr TSX, along with a couple of other manufacturer’s 350gr C&C spire points, are accurate at 325yds from Michael’s 18” barrel 416 B&M M70…I just cranked the scope up to 5X power and could see that pair of skivvies quite well. With a little more time with the rifle and fine tuning the scope for my eyesight and method of holding the rifle and I would have no qualms whatsoever of that bullet/cartridge combinations ability to cleanly/humanly kill hunted game at 300-350yds even though with my eyesight I prefer to keep long shots within 200yds.

Ya, I'm right there with you Jim. No doubt at all. I think it is an 'OK' 400 yard cartridge with just a little practice. I to was very impressed, and also surprised to see the results at those ranges. Not yardage handi-capped at all for the type of game I would use that gun for. Hmmmmmmm, now that I think about it, I would probably even use it for jack rabbits on up just to stay practice'd up with that cartridge and gun combo. For now, my .375 will have to suffice.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dave, there is no joy or happiness in the 9.3 camp tonight!

Now can someone tell me why the 320 Woodleigh FMJ does so good in straight line penetration, but the 286 cannot repeat or do the same? Same nose profile as far as I can tell???

M

You may be tired of hearing it but the 320 grain has a SD of .341 and the 286 is .305 while the 250 grain is .267. That seems to mimic the depth range of penetration you saw. Also the 338 250 grain has a SD of .313 while the 9.3 250 grain is .267. Although differences in nose shape will also influence penetration depth.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
H&H

Nope, SD don't wash this clean. Is SD responsible for these tumbling and veering off course? No no no. SD is at the very bottom of the list on factors that influence straight line penetration and even depth of penetration of todays modern solids, if it even belongs on the list at all. Nose profile, meplat size top of the list. Somehow the 320 Woodleigh is able to stabilize itself during terminals, the 286 does not? I don't have a good answer, to be honest I am not really interested in looking for the answer, more interested in finding what does, and what don't. I am moving on to the next, and as far as I know the last commercially available 9.3 solid, the 286 North Fork. I am quite sure it will put on a good show. However, if it does not my next move for a proper 9.3 Solid is to get in touch with JD and David, and or our new CNC guy and have some made wit a proper flat meplat, at 65% of caliber.

No my man, SD has nothing to do with this. In particular the case of the Barnes banded that is all nose profile and meplat size--zero doubt, no questions whatsoever on that. But if you want, we can play SD for a second.
Like you said, 286 9.3 is .305, the 250 Barnes is .267 and we have from 22-30 inches STRAIGHT line penetration with those. Ok now we have the 330 gr 458 caliber Barnes Banded with an SD of .225. Now I have tested this in the same mediums and it gives 50 inches dead straight penetration in the 458 B&M, and slowed down to 45/70 velocity it goes 40-42 inches. Ok, if SD is the answer, then it would be impossible for this to happen?

Nose Profile, Meplat Size, Twist Rate, Velocity, Construction, Maybe SD, but only with equal nose profiles and meplat size, velocity, twist rates, and construction.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Sam

I did get those photos of those new Barnes in .510 and 577, along with the photo of your bullet. Excellent. I will see if I can get those posted up tomorrow. Your bullet really looks great, and big meplat. I have no doubts as to what all three will do. But, I will place a little bet with you, while your bullet will drive dead straight, it will also produce a larger wound cavity, but it will come short of depth of penetration compared to the barnes, just because of the large meplat. Not a bad thing at all, just what I would expect. Can't wait to see them, especially loaded in those big cases!

M

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I see we just turned to Page 75! Hmmmm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

I'm not betting you on what a bullet will do! You are the man!

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael

How come when I carried my 9.3 and pumped a few Woodleigh solids into a Buff they went in a straight line but in your box they don't.

That's what I can't understand about your box performances.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
500N

Constant, 100% consistent denser aqueous medium. Animal tissue if made up of different density of medium, voids, organs, muscle, more voids, and so forth. Animal tissue is actually less likely to turn or veer a bullet than the test medium because of it's inconsistency, but the potential is there, and these bullets do and will veer off course, I have seen it. Not all the time, not 1/2 the time, all depending on many factors in the field. Also consider that you will get substantially deeper penetration in animal tissue than in the test medium, with solids along the lines of 35% as best I can correlate with data currently available. With expanding from 80% to 100% more penetration in animal tissue. Also, as you very well know, it's extremely difficult to detect a veering off course in slack dead animal tissue. Entrance--Exit pretty close, but dead meat slips and slides too. 500 N, we have been here done that, and discussed this. Remember, what is successful in the test work, is successful in the field. What fails in the test work, does not ALWAYS fail in the field, but has a great potential to do so. Test medium, regardless of what it is as long as it is "reasonable test medium" gives us excellent comparisons between bullets, designs, nose profiles, construction, and so on. A reasonable medium will give us very strong indications of what can and will happen in the field with many different kinds of bullets. In particular with solids it will tell us a great percentage of the time what will be successful. If it is successful in this test, I will guarantee that it will be successful in the field, barring acts of god not foreseen, which happens in the field as you very well know. So, we test, we pick the best of the best and that's what it is about. If we are smart we will choose to use the best.

Michael

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
500N

Hey, be on the lookout I think in July issue of Australian Shooter, or something like that, an article coming on the B&Ms in Australia!

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heh Michael, I'm looking forward to reading that one. Can I get it on line?

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
500N

Hey, be on the lookout I think in July issue of Australian Shooter, or something like that, an article coming on the B&Ms in Australia!

Michael

Yes, I saw that was coming.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
500N

Constant, 100% consistent denser aqueous medium. Animal tissue if made up of different density of medium, voids, organs, muscle, more voids, and so forth. Animal tissue is actually less likely to turn or veer a bullet than the test medium because of it's inconsistency, but the potential is there, and these bullets do and will veer off course, I have seen it. Not all the time, not 1/2 the time, all depending on many factors in the field. Also consider that you will get substantially deeper penetration in animal tissue than in the test medium, with solids along the lines of 35% as best I can correlate with data currently available. With expanding from 80% to 100% more penetration in animal tissue. Also, as you very well know, it's extremely difficult to detect a veering off course in slack dead animal tissue. Entrance--Exit pretty close, but dead meat slips and slides too. 500 N, we have been here done that, and discussed this. Remember, what is successful in the test work, is successful in the field. What fails in the test work, does not ALWAYS fail in the field, but has a great potential to do so. Test medium, regardless of what it is as long as it is "reasonable test medium" gives us excellent comparisons between bullets, designs, nose profiles, construction, and so on. A reasonable medium will give us very strong indications of what can and will happen in the field with many different kinds of bullets. In particular with solids it will tell us a great percentage of the time what will be successful. If it is successful in this test, I will guarantee that it will be successful in the field, barring acts of god not foreseen, which happens in the field as you very well know. So, we test, we pick the best of the best and that's what it is about. If we are smart we will choose to use the best.

Michael

Michael

A good and interesting answer.