THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Terminal Bullet Performance
Page 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 304

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terminal Bullet Performance Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D B Cooper:

From what I've been reading, it appears that a couple of folks here would use a Ball Peen hammer to drive nails. How's that working out?

Excellent analogy!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39683 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
No interest in driving nails...

I like smashing stuff and for that I like a sledge hammer...

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:

From what I've been reading, it appears that a couple of folks here would use a Ball Peen hammer to drive nails. How's that working out?

Excellent analogy!

Ditto!
Luddite Lapdog Logic: Smart as a sack of hammers???

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collani
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10,3x60r:
Hi Michael,
you have probe the IMPALA bullet on the .416?

@10,3x60R

I did some tests with the solids IMPALA from South Africa
http://www.impalabullets.co.za/

I got some cartridges in 9,3x62 and I have done some tests in a ballistic labor. Quite funny results. The bullet tumbled after about 16 cm of penetration.

If you are interested in pictures, I can provide some of those pictures.

Good shooting and good hunting
Collani

Gian Marchet Colani - the most famous mountain chamois hunter in the European Alps....

Posts: 118 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Hi Collani

Welcome! Yes, we all love photos of bullets as you can tell! Can you post them? If not you could send them to me and I can post them????

Either way, yes we would like to see them, and some more information on the tests.

Thank you!

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 31/2Makesmelaugh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:

Well one could paper patch one for sure. But I forgot that I have a Ruger #1 in 470 Capstick that SSK built for me some years ago. You know all those #1s sit in that cabinet and I just forgot about it being there! So all I would have to do is set that rifle up with a scope or something, test with it. I know the barrel is good in that!

M

Michael, send all of those neglected SSK single-shots my way and I will put them through their paces regularly! Big Grin

"Archery enshrines the principles of human relationships. The Archer perfects his form within himself. If his form is perfect, yet when he releases he misses, there is no point in resenting those who have done better than him. The fault lies nowhere."(Confucious)

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
'Twould be interesting to know what twist SSK used on the 470 Capstick.

Sam's 500 NE might have the CIP standard twist of 1:15"???
That is why the 500 NE has such a sterling reputation. tu2

RIP

I thought I had asked Brian about the twist on the Capstick, but I did not, but I will now. What I asked him some time ago, and I FORGOT already, was all the .510s, the 50 AKs and the 510 Wells. Which I also forgot, going back in my emails looking for the 470 which I did not ask about, I found the .510s--all at 1;15 twist rate! Don't let me forget, because I already forgot if I added that info to the master sheet we have been posting???? Maybe???? I forgot? Whew, busy here!

DBCooper
Welcome out of the innocent by-stander mode!!!!! It appears you might not be so innocent anymore??? I hope that is not the case!

Hope you can get something out of our little thread, which is now 65 pages, I told these guys no one would be interested in this stuff! LOL.

Glad to have you!

Trophyhunter

I like to smash'em too! Especially buffalo! Hell, I like to smash em so good I'd shoot cows in the field if someone would let me?

HEH?????

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 31/2Makesmelaugh:
quote:

Well one could paper patch one for sure. But I forgot that I have a Ruger #1 in 470 Capstick that SSK built for me some years ago. You know all those #1s sit in that cabinet and I just forgot about it being there! So all I would have to do is set that rifle up with a scope or something, test with it. I know the barrel is good in that!

M

Michael, send all of those neglected SSK single-shots my way and I will put them through their paces regularly! Big Grin

31/2

HEH! Have not messed with the #1s in a couple of years. I have one out now in 50 AK that I need to test Js solid with at 1850 fps or so, other than that I forget what's in there, 470 Capstick, 458 Winchester, 458 Lott, 50 AK, 416 Rigby, 416 Remington, 35 Whelen, and that's what I can remember about the #1s, oh, wait one of those 50 Ann 45/70s is somewhere? Might be somthing else?

I like my 1885s better
M

One of Us
Picture of collani
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi Collani

Welcome! Yes, we all love photos of bullets as you can tell! Can you post them? If not you could send them to me and I can post them????

Either way, yes we would like to see them, and some more information on the tests.

Thank you!

Michael

@Michael458

Here the link to the pictures
Terminal Bullet Performance

Sorry, but this presentation is only in German available.

Collani

Gian Marchet Colani - the most famous mountain chamois hunter in the European Alps....

Posts: 118 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
DBCooper
Welcome out of the innocent by-stander mode!!!!! It appears you might not be so innocent anymore??? I hope that is not the case!

Hope you can get something out of our little thread, which is now 65 pages, I told these guys no one would be interested in this stuff! LOL.

Glad to have you!

Thanks Michael,

I lost my innocense along time ago.

That little .50 is a sweetheart, but a tad too short for me, I would need about a 14" pull. The knuckle on my "Tragger Fanger" is a bit on the tender side today. Still a kick in the ass to shoot.

"Isn't it pretty to think so."

Posts: 148 | Location: Cascade Foot Hills | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
quote:

Trophyhunter

I like to smash'em too! Especially buffalo! Hell, I like to smash em so good I'd shoot cows in the field if someone would let me?

HEH?????

Michael

tu2

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
DBCooper

Glad to have you!

Thanks Michael,

I lost my innocense along time ago.

That little .50 is a sweetheart, but a tad too short for me, I would need about a 14" pull. The knuckle on my "Tragger Fanger" is a bit on the tender side today. Still a kick in the ass to shoot.

DB so some of those photos I have of you and Dwright out there with the 50 eh???? Look here, gotta hold on tight to those things keep them from moving on ya! HEH! I have so much going on here today, have not had much time to do anything, in fact all week, but I hope sometime today to post some photos of you and Dwright over on the B&M thread!

Back at ya Trophy!
tu2

M

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by collani:
quote:
Hi Collani

Thank you!

Michael

@Michael458

Here the link to the pictures
Terminal Bullet Performance

Sorry, but this presentation is only in German available.

Collani

Thanks Collani

Let me digest that and I will get back to it!

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SEE ARTICLE 12, Paragraph C, subsection 4 below.

Posts: 148 | Location: Cascade Foot Hills | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya, DB, but yur always having to keep something from biting those knuckles of yours! Hell, remember just last week when we were running from the herd of 'naked, lesbian, pigmy' woman. That after they surrounded yur ass, roped you and pulled you into that big hot tub of stewwed tomatoes and had their way with you?. Ya. . . and you said you had a hard time enjoying being sexually assaulted cuz it reminded you of being in the vagina of an large estrus whale? Heh? Remimber that? Ya, I thought you might; well, I remember how you damn near fell as you were running away when you finaly broke free and stepped on one of um. . . . . ? Runnin, and screamin like a little kid. . . . . . .

animal

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DWright:
Ya, DB, but yur always having to keep something from biting those knuckles of yours! Hell, remember just last week when we were running from the herd of 'naked, lesbian, pigmy' woman. That after they surrounded yur ass, roped you and pulled you into that big hot tub of stewwed tomatoes and had their way with you?. Ya. . . and you said you had a hard time enjoying being sexually assaulted cuz it reminded you of being in the vagina of an large estrus whale? Heh? Remimber that? Ya, I thought you might; well, I remember how you damn near fell as you were running away when you finaly broke free and stepped on one of um. . . . . ? Runnin, and screamin like a little kid. . . . . . .

animal

Ya'll boys do some strange things out there on the west side! Hmmmm? I'd be a little curious as to how DB knows what the inside of a whales............never mind, ain't that curious, don't think I really want to know!

HEH
M

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:

Dwright

Now you did it! DB is doing an Alf!

hilbily
M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Dwright

Now you did it! DB is doing an Alf!

Hmmm, not exactly, said he was gunna re-write the other post to one up me before the fact. he's sneeky thataway. . . . . . but then he got all side tracked and hadn't got back to it yet.

hilbily
M

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, I'm still here. I was going to replace the post with something a bit more derogitory, but got called off on an issue.

Not sure who Alf is, but it ain't me.

I was just saying that the .50 stock is too short for me.

I see DWright is off his meds again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sam

Not smarter, just determined and impatient!!!!!

Don't be embarrassed about the bullets, and I did try, I flitzed, I scrubbed, I steel wooled, I tried everything I had, no go!

I ordered two packets of the brass balls, 1/2 inch, they are not cheap, about $.78 each. Just to see what they do.

quote:
260 is cartridge brass. Same stuff cases are drawn from. Not likely you're gonna get it down the pipe unless it's undersized. Patched 52100 steel balls would be tougher and cheaper.

So J you think I should or should not push a couple of these down a .500 barrel????

M

Dunno ... if it was tightly patched I suppose it wouldn't be bouncing off your rifling. Good idea to get a material spec on the balls. Could be soft or not.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yup, I'm still here. I was going to replace the post with something a bit more derogitory, but got called off on an issue.

Not sure who Alf is, but it ain't me.

I was just saying that the .50 stock is too short for me.

I see DWright is off his meds again.

Yup dancing Heh. . . . who said that. . . . ? sofa

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
.500" brass round balls @ 3,000+ fps should be a decent wound channel.
They would be good for 50AE and 500 S&W for non expanding light solid.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Boomy

I received those brass balls today! I only ordered them yesterday afternoon! Fast delivery! I have 20 of them.

J, don't forget my barrels are .500, not .510. Should not rattle down the bore? 1/2 ball.

Very busy here this week. I am not so sure I am going to get to shoot anything this week?

Lab locked up for the night, have not had time to measure the balls for sure, will measure them in the morning. Should be .500

M

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Michael... You have a lot of balls!!!
Call them non tumbling RNRT Round Nose round tail Big Grin
Good for hogs I bet.
What is the cost per ball?
Please note weight as well.
500 MDM for max velocity?
Looking forward to the results when you have time.

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Boomy

I am not sure what they would be good for just yet. I think I will start them off in the 50 Super Short to see what is what first. Accuracy might be an issue??? Very expensive, .78 cents each. I won't get any test work done today, but I am going to sneak out of this office today and do some shooting anyway, if I can get by the boss! I have to check on my new formed 400 Sierras and 500 Hornadys, and see if I can punch a couple of these balls down a super short just to get a feel for them. I must see if I can trap one too, I want to see what is engraving on them?

M

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Minimal engraving so good for doubles! 577 balls? Good thin skin bullet. Seeing the 2,150 and 3,000 fps results would be cool. What about your DPMS for this?

I would think that a cnc lathe can pop these out of 1/2" bar stock pretty cheap say 15 cents a pop for materials.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rounds balls from Big Bores like 4, 8, 10 etc absolutely flatten Buffalo according to a mate
who had someone hunting with them.

Knocked a Charging Buffalo off it's feet.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Boomy

Man, I don't know? I'd rather start with the super short, would be easier, move from there and see. CNC? Just about anything about these balls, I don't know? CNC ?
I confess freely my ignorance!

Price just went up on the brass balls to $1.00 each, got invoice via email few minutes ago including shipping! A bit expensive.

500N

I don't doubt that one bit, got a lot of diameter and mass hitting, which counts for a whole lot!!!!!!!! I would think .500 caliber balls are small bore in that arena!

Like I said, will do my best to start some down the bore this morning, just to see what's what!

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
50 cal round balls. . . . .
This is going to be very interesting for sure.

coffee

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Well, have some ???? about these brass round balls???? I decided to try some out, just load and accuracy in one of my 50 Super Shorts. Just to get a feel for them. Measured and weighed, they are .4995 and weigh 140 grs. I will take some photos later and post. So I figured to start out low, check accuracy if they were going to work. 50 Super Shorts love WW 296. I use a Fed 210 in them. Light load 35/WW 296, loaded 3 to check accuracy. Not having a clue as to where they are going to hit, I shot at 25 yds. This did extremely well, 1988 hi 1963 fps low average 1971 and all three touching at 25 an inch hi and inch left. Good to go. So I proceeded 1 load at a time, I only have 17 left now. So I went 40 grs, 45 grs and 50 grs of WW 296. 40 gave 2174, 45 gave 2542, 50 gave 2747 fps. OK, moving along correctly, everything looks great, no issues, so I came in loaded one with 55 grs WW 296. 55 gave 2012 fps???? What? Chrono? Anomaly? OK, load another at 55 it gives 2025 fps? Ok something does not make sense. I chrono a known load and it is spot on for 3. Not chrono. OK, back to 50 grs which gives 2747 a bit ago. OK, now 50 grs gives me 1930 fps???? Starting back down??? That's where I left it. Shot some more known loads with the 400 Sierra, 44/296 giving 1920 fps, exactly correct, 47/296 giving 2020 fps, exactly correct. So not chrono issue? I don't know. Small variances, round ball, maybe, but 700 800 fps and going back down the ladder, after climbing perfectly up for the first 4 loads? I don't get it. What am I missing? Possible that not enough pressure to burn the powder consistently, getting some blow by, even with 50-55 grs? I am missing something for sure?

Accuracy of all the X1 loads which was 6 was one hole (almost) think I pulled one about 1/2 inch left, other 5 in the same hole. Accuracy at 25 very adequate. Surprised a bit. 50 who knows? Problem is I only have about 11 left so not much more to test with, as I wanted to get velocity up a bit. But I am dropping instead of going up.

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Try a felt or cardboard wad under those balls to get a good gas seal. Walters fiber wads would work also. Toilet paper wads would be a quick try.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Sam
Excellent Idea. I will try that, I have plenty of good wads from back when I was playing with some shotshells for these guns! That's exactly what I will do.

M

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Glad the size is perfect!
at 180 grains it is like shooting a nominal weight for a 30-06 but pre expanded.

Would be great to see some high velocity terminal reports. You the man Michael. Maybe we can see a revival of men playing with er um... men having um I mean balls shooting oh that does not sound good... A renaissance and resurgence of sphere shooting.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
140 grs Boomy. I was thinking about the wad over the powder, then the ball, as Sam suggested, I bet that sorts out the issue with the balls. If not??? I don't know. Will try again first of the week. Run out of weekend now.

At 55 grs of 296 I should have been at 3000 fps with the 50 Super Short! The 50 B&M will take it on up pretty high I would think, 500 MDM would shoot it to the moon I suppose. For now however I will keep it in the Super Short.

By the way Colin, thanks for the tip on where to get them! Fast next day delivery too!

That place has the Balls for sure!

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something ironic popped up this morning:
http://www.ballisticproducts.c...fo.asp?number=TXRB50

Also contacted my tungsten guy and they said they could do 18g/cc tungsten balls any diameter for a $200 set-up fee, but he could do some samples after that to make sure they are right. They can even polish them perfectally round if you like. In perspective, lead is 10.8-11.2 (alloy to pure soft), and this tungsten composit is as hard as steel, if not more. Hope that helps.

-Extremist
"Pain is weakness leaving the body" -Instructor
Victory in life is dying for what you were born to do.
"I hope you live forever" -300
"Never judge an enemy by his words, he might turn out to be a better shot then a writer"
http://www.gscustomusa.com

Posts: 213 | Location: Auburn, IN | Registered: 16 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Hi Extremist. Tungsten balls would be great for a big bore smooth bore but can you add a jacket as to not harm the rifling?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that can be done fairly easily. I know of two sorces that will plate the bullet, but only one is really worth your efforts. Thing about them is they like very large numbers. Big company, big machines, very expensive stuff, but more precise then your barrel! They can do pure copper, nickle, nickle/PTFE, black nickle...and a bunch of stuff. Just get the balls undersized and plate up to size...(this can get ugle :-) Anyways, it's not tough, but is there a calling for it?

-Extremist
"Pain is weakness leaving the body" -Instructor
Victory in life is dying for what you were born to do.
"I hope you live forever" -300
"Never judge an enemy by his words, he might turn out to be a better shot then a writer"
http://www.gscustomusa.com

Posts: 213 | Location: Auburn, IN | Registered: 16 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
It is too ahead of the curve now but brass will have to do for now. If it means 70% more gain in weight and wont harm barrels it is interesting.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Boys, the balls are getting way to expensive I think for the value! Tungsten + plating would be astronomical and for what return?? I am not sure, but I have doubts that a ball can give us anything beyond something to play with, taking into account the expense of it. Now plinking around with lead balls, cheap and fun to play with, another matter. Even these damn brass balls ended up at $1 each! That's the price of a TSX or a banded solid?

I am going to attempt to stabilize velocity probably tomorrow with the brass balls. Then if I can do that, maybe get a quick test in with them. If all that occurs I might be able to get some .510 solids tested too, this is my goal anyway!

M

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Maybe we should have a TBP donation to keep this non profit but high entertainment and info thread going. I would think that 500 S&W and 50 AE shooters would be interested in the results.