New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lion Skull Size vs. Lion Age!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He gets plenty of that from our side but the fact is we are few they are many and no matter what you or I believe politics plays a role. I would love to show them pictures of lions being killed by locals but they are smarter than us they do not show the whole world they are doing it.We do and brag about it and then defend it. Believe me we are not just working on shooting young lions we are working on the local people, PH"S and outfitters and yes politicians. But the number one thing that is killing us right now on THIS petition is SHOOTING YOUNG LIONS. all of the other things are mentioned and we send volumns of how much money we spend for conservation and protecting habitat and they like to her it but our point is a couple of pictures pull more weight. Why? should probably be answered by Paula but the answer I have heard is that if we hunters only take older mature lions that lion populations are sustainable and will not cause a drop in population. Thats why, the scientist tell us and them. You ask why and that is one reason. why do you find their answer so hard to believe as they are the only ones spending that much time in the field and are regognized as lion authorities.right or wrong those are facts.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canada has been begging us to allow polar bear to be imported and they are a big country but the antis carry votes and we will not let them in. I for one do not understand that and that is why some of our sane arguments do no good we just have to pick our fights that we are told we have a chance to win.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smarterthanu:
quote:
EVERY SINGLE LION EXPERT AGREES, THE SHOOTING OF YOUNG/IMMATURE LIONS, THOSE UNDER 5, IS DETRIMENTAL TO THE SPECIES. INCLUDING DR. PAULA WHITE, WHO HAS BEEN OPERATING THE ZAMBIAN LION PROJECT FOR 6 - 7 YRS NOW, AND WHO IS MORE PRO-HUNTING THAN ANY NON-HUNTER/SCIENTIST I HAVE EVER MET.

Why Arron? Why? They all say that but no one has said why. They are all slinging a broad brush and no one is contemplating the exceptions nor are they contemplating the interspecies translation this can have on your industry. I have asked here twice why and have yet to get an answer. Have you ever asked them why? Then ask them why we are spending all that thought and money on a minor issue that might be a problem and no one has an answer to solve the real lion conservation issue.

STU - Yes, I have asked em why! And yes, I have received the answers, and yes I follow the science as well. Dude, I can only type so much, so fast, as I am literally challenged. How about I give you the direct e-mail address to Dr. Packer, Dr. White, Dr. Begg, and Dr. Hunter. Without question, these 4 are the world's leading scientific experts on the African Lion. Then, you can ask them yourself, and you can argue the science with them too.

If you want to do this, PM me, and I will give you their e-mail addresses. Obviously I'm not gonna put them on a public forum.

Look, I agree with you, and everyone one of the scientists, Dr. Easter, and the LCTF will agree too. Hunting/Hunters are not the REAL issue, or the biggest problem facing the lion, we have said this time and time again. So, take Zimbabwe for example. Is it even possible in your opinion, to convince 16 million blacks to conserve the lion, conserve the wildlife, conserve the environment, conserve the habitat, etc? Especially when the leaders are at the root of the problem! Fact is Ben, hunting is only a fraction of the potential problem, but we have to fix what we can, not what is IMPOSSIBLE!! And without me going into great detail, you know EXACTLY what I am talking about. So yes, we recognize the bigger picture, but changing that, is Mt. Everest, compared to changing the hunting industry. Does that make more sense?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why? should probably be answered by Paula but the answer I have heard is that if we hunters only take older mature lions that lion populations are sustainable and will not cause a drop in population.

Gerry you just answered the question with the same conclusion I have been asking why to this entire time. I will try and ask the question more clearly. Why will killing young lions lead to a population drop if your quotas are set properly and not influenced by corruption?

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Canada has been begging us to allow polar bear to be imported and they are a big country but the antis carry votes and we will not let them in

Gerry I am pretty sure the people who have restricted polar bear importation are appointed and not elected. I could be wrong on this but I am sure someone here would be in the know.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
STU - Yes, I have asked em why! And yes, I have received the answers, and yes I follow the science as well. Dude, I can only type so much, so fast, as I am literally challenged. How about I give you the direct e-mail address to Dr. Packer, Dr. White, Dr. Begg, and Dr. Hunter. Without question, these 4 are the world's leading scientific experts on the African Lion. Then, you can ask them yourself, and you can argue the science with them too.

Wait. You are the leader of the LCTF and I need your help, and your answer is to pass the buck??????

If you want to do this, PM me, and I will give you their e-mail addresses. Obviously I'm not gonna put them on a public forum.

Look, I agree with you, and everyone one of the scientists, Dr. Easter, and the LCTF will agree too. Hunting/Hunters are not the REAL issue, or the biggest problem facing the lion, we have said this time and time again. So, take Zimbabwe for example. Is it even possible in your opinion, to convince 16 million blacks to conserve the lion, conserve the wildlife, conserve the environment, conserve the habitat, etc? Especially when the leaders are at the root of the problem! Fact is Ben, hunting is only a fraction of the potential problem, but we have to fix what we can, not what is IMPOSSIBLE!! And without me going into great detail, you know EXACTLY what I am talking about. So yes, we recognize the bigger picture, but changing that, is Mt. Everest, compared to changing the hunting industry. Does that make more sense?

I know this is a giant problem but the international community has yet to even acknowledge it. If we can't convince the same people who are so anxious to rid us of our hunting heritage then there is no chance the problem will be solved. Don't give up because the challenge is great.

One of the greater questions I have also had is what is the goal of you and the scientists in getting only old non-breeding lions to be shot? Is that goal altered from hunting area to hunting area? Is that goal going to interfere with other management goals of other species within the hunting area and the fiscal goals of the hunting companies. Is anybody studying this? Does anyone care?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will try and ask the question more clearly. Why will killing young lions lead to a population drop if your quotas are set properly and not influenced by corruption?

It may be a day or 2 before I have the time to engage in the conversation again at a lengthy level but as soon as I get the time...I will answer your question.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
In the short period of time we have been operating...we have already made progress. What have you done to stop the decline in lions and bring both sides.....to the table???

................what??? Stirring the pot and being idiot on internet forums doesn't count? Roll Eyes Keep up the good work Lane! Ignore them. They aren't worth the effort!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
................what??? Stirring shit and being idiot on internet forums doesn't count? Keep up the good work Lane! Ignore them. They aren't worth the effort!

Yes brett. Us and them. Thats how to approach a problem. Snobbery will make everything OK. The anti-hunters defeat another one. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now lets talk about the real problem again. How do we keep Temik from being exported to Nations that are whiping out their lions? Has this been brought up to anyone? Has anyone looked at this. Who would we talk to about a trade ban such as this? What are the other poisons of choice for herdsman in TZ, Zim, and Zambia?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sure the LCTF would welcome you to join and head up that fight. We don't have the muscle to fight it all yet but if you are interested in fighting for that ban we would welcome you and give it full support.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am sure the LCTF would welcome you to join and head up that fight. We don't have the muscle to fight it all yet but if you are interested in fighting for that ban we would welcome you and give it full support.

I don't know how to do that. I have no experience or connections in politics. The LCTF does. I am not looking for support I am looking for know-how. So why not quit making excuses and start fighting the real threat to lion conservation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
STU - I'll let Dr. Easter answer the question about WHY! He' better qualified to answer that one, in scientific terms.

As for the BIG PICTURE, the BIG FIGHT, and we both know to what I am referring to! Come one man, stop being argumentative, and be realistic. We have to tackle the issues that we really can change, period! Ben, I think you need a better understanding of the African Culture, before you go telling us how we should do it. I'm referring to the political culture, the black vs white culture, etc.

I also think you need a better understanding of how important hunting is to the overall longevity of ALL of Africa's wildlife! Something we have discussed many times, and one where Lion Hunting is the MOST important element of all, in countries like Zambia/Tanzania. We must start doing it right! If we don't, and if we lose it, almost all wildlife in places like TZ/Zambia, is finished.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smarterthanu:
quote:

I don't know how to do that. I have no experience or connections in politics. The LCTF does. I am not looking for support I am looking for know-how. So why not quit making excuses and start fighting the real threat to lion conservation.

Dude, do you think we are a bunch of politicians? Hell no, we are a group of guys that give a shit, that's all!

So what you're really saying is, you're happy to complain about all the problems, but you're not willing to try and be part of the solution?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried to see your points but after offering you a chance to help and seeing your response I now see what this thread has been about . You are a bitcher and moaner and will do nothing. I started because I wanted to help and I am no politician or had any knowledge other than hunters need help and I hoped I could contribute. You are either scared you will be exposed as a non doer or you really are not on the hunters side at all. If you don't know how learn, try and help instead of trying to tell people that will go out on alimb to help how wrong they are. You exposed yourself on that post my friend!