Rock Bottom For Boddington
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I agree with Mike's post. His rant was his and did no hrm to Boddington. He owned up to his mistake and it would be a shame if he got fired over this, even though ForrestB painted a funny vision of his next career.

Do you really believe that?!

I have been a Boddington fan for years. I met the man once and he was one heck of a nice guy.

Having said that, Conrad's rant underscored the lack of forethought that went into this venture. I am shocked and disappointed that CB would allow an ass such as Conrad to use his image/reputation to try to drum up $9k.

Last time I checked Conrad's campaign had netted $120.00. Do you think CB was pissed when he realized that his reputation was taking a hit over Conrad's failed campaign?

I wonder if Conrad made his apology because he was truly contrite, or if it was prompted by an irate CB asking him, "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!?!".

When someone is forced to apologize the apology has no value, IMO.

Yes, I really do. I really don't think it is that big of deal. I respect your right to disagree.

IMO, being a part owner of Rigby and then writing about Rigby guns in glowing terms is a VASTLY bigger deal than this guy's blunder.

Let's switch gears here and use a different example. My software company has software that mines data from data historians. We license this directly, we license it and run it as service for our customers, and we license it to companies who use to show how well their products work when used by their customers.

We have licensed our application to a very large chemical company, which will call company Y, who sells chemicals into industry X. We license our software to companies in industry X and also provide consulting services to companies in industry X. Our first contract with company Y had a large bonus for us if their profit increased by an amount "B" in industry X after two years.

Stay with me, please. We were often asked by our customers in industry "X" to evaluate the chemicals provided by "Y" and assess if the chemical trial showed value and was worth buying. We could have lined our pockets by stating every trial was wonderful, thus bringing in lots of business for company "Y" but we obviously did not. We ALWAYS presented the actual data and then reminded our customer more than once that we had a commercial relationship with company "Y."

We always, and continue to this day, tell our customers that company Y is a customer of ours, even though almost everyone in industry X knows who we are and knows that we have a commercial relationship with company Y.

I am surprised any publication would allow Boddington to write glowing articles of what was apparently a crap gun; to me the risk of being sued if a reader ever found about this arrangement and thought he had been misled would be enough to stop it. Perhaps the editors never knew. Maybe they should ask more questions; maybe they should make every writer sign a statement that they have no commercial interest in promoting products and services they write about.

I am simply stunned that most of you think this is a perfectly acceptable way to conduct business. Now, maybe there is an explanation for it, but so far I am not hearing one.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter54:

Exactly! +1.

Aaron Neilson has not disclosed how much he's paid for not has he mentioned the vested interests he has on most of his hunts.

As an agent, he isn't obliged to. The interest he has in the hunt is clear. He's an agent. He sells the hunt for a commission. An agent endorsing a hunt is advertising his services, not necessarily the service of the outfitter.

Plus, you have it backwards. The outfitter didn't pay him to hunt. He paid to hunt. Therefore it can not be a paid endorsement.

Exactly Wendell. His job is to sell hunts, not stories.

Now, if he recommends his booking agency on Sports Afield, he should make it clear he is an owner/employee, etc.

I like how Tim Herald does it. He has said on AR that he is paid by T/C; he uses nothing but T/C on his hunts. To me, it is obvious he is paid by T/C, which means he is making his commercial relationships transparent. Maybe the reason he never got a chance to shoot a Kri Kri ibex was because Remington footed the bill for that hunt and left him out. Oh well - at least he has put all his chips with one vendor and believes they can deliver. I once challenged him on a hunt he posted about here on AR and he did admit it was free. What is so hard about just saying you were the "guest of Browning" or something similar?

We all laugh at Shockey "trusting" his life to Nosler or whomever is the highest bidder at the time, but at least we know who is paying (or some of) the bills. But in his stories he really should acknowledge that relationship; on TV, there is an announcement "brought to you by..." which clarifies the commercial relationships.

Boddington paid for his Mexico sheep hunt with money he saved from being activated. He said that in his story and I respected that a lot; I figured he did his due diligence to pick the right outfitter. Big difference from shooting Kri Kri ibex on Remington's dime...

IMO this an industry issue, not just a CB issue.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
I agree with Mike's post. His rant was his and did no hrm to Boddington. He owned up to his mistake and it would be a shame if he got fired over this, even though ForrestB painted a funny vision of his next career.

Do you really believe that?!

I have been a Boddington fan for years. I met the man once and he was one heck of a nice guy.

Having said that, Conrad's rant underscored the lack of forethought that went into this venture. I am shocked and disappointed that CB would allow an ass such as Conrad to use his image/reputation to try to drum up $9k.

Last time I checked Conrad's campaign had netted $120.00. Do you think CB was pissed when he realized that his reputation was taking a hit over Conrad's failed campaign?

I wonder if Conrad made his apology because he was truly contrite, or if it was prompted by an irate CB asking him, "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!?!".

When someone is forced to apologize the apology has no value, IMO.

Yes, I really do. I really don't think it is that big of deal. I respect your right to disagree.

IMO, being a part owner of Rigby and then writing about Rigby guns in glowing terms is a VASTLY bigger deal than this guy's blunder.

Let's switch gears here and use a different example. My software company has software that mines data from data historians. We license this directly, we license it and run it as service for our customers, and we license it to companies who use to show how well their products work when used by their customers.

We have licensed our application to a very large chemical company, which will call company Y, who sells chemicals into industry X. We license our software to companies in industry X and also provide consulting services to companies in industry X. Our first contract with company Y had a large bonus for us if their profit increased by an amount "B" in industry X after two years.

Stay with me, please. We were often asked by our customers in industry "X" to evaluate the chemicals provided by "Y" and assess if the chemical trial showed value and was worth buying. We could have lined our pockets by stating every trial was wonderful, thus bringing in lots of business for company "Y" but we obviously did not. We ALWAYS presented the actual data and then reminded our customer more than once that we had a commercial relationship with company "Y."

We always, and continue to this day, tell our customers that company Y is a customer of ours, even though almost everyone in industry X knows who we are and knows that we have a commercial relationship with company Y.

I am surprised any publication would allow Boddington to write glowing articles of what was apparently a crap gun; to me the risk of being sued if a reader ever found about this arrangement and thought he had been misled would be enough to stop it. Perhaps the editors never knew. Maybe they should ask more questions; maybe they should make every writer sign a statement that they have no commercial interest in promoting products and services they write about.

I am simply stunned that most of you think this is a perfectly acceptable way to conduct business. Now, maybe there is an explanation for it, but so far I am not hearing one.

Speaking of California Rigby's , I have handled two, shot two and they are not very well made. One was a bolt in .270 and the other was a double in 500NE. Both were pretty but accuracy was over 1" on the bolt and over 2" on the double. They unsold me on one very quickly.

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
Ah give the guy a break.

It's possible that he's a not a complete douchnozzle and has sinned through earnestness rather than malice, isn't it?

Although he did rather throw himself into the deep end of a 75ft pool with his early comments he had a taco and saw the light.

The real question this all boils down to is this; do you think he would have voted for Obama?

Au contre' the question is:

What was in that taco?

must have been some good shit--it sure changed his outlook---

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of this really amazes me.

A fund raising effort was made by either CB or someone CB authorized. After all, there was a link to this fiasco on his Facebook page. Why is that hard to understand?

There is a lot of twisted logic (IMHO) related to endorsement/sponsorship fees. When Shockey makes his "I trust my life to Nosler comment" does anyone really think he isn't getting paid? I don't. When Ivan has the Hornady logo on his shirt, does anyone think he isn't getting paid? I don't. I don't see a thing wrong with that, nor do I see a problem with discounted hunts for writers and/or TV personalities.

I personally am not going to buy a product because XYZ professional hunter uses it. I may buy a product because a friend of mine has had good luck with the product but not because some celebrity endorses said product.

Having said that, both are fundamentally different that writing about a product made by an entity for which one has a ownership interest with no disclosure. There may not be any laws on these matters, I have no idea. Perhaps there should be. I know in my business, I have to make all kinds of disclosures to clients for relatively straight forward transactions. For example, if I get a fee from a buyer for finding a seller, there are massive disclosures I have to make.

I have never met CB. I don't care if I ever do. I do like his writing (generally). I do like some of his TV appearances. I do think that at bare minimum, something is very odd about the fund raising effort.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

....I do think that at bare minimum, something is very odd about the fund raising effort.

This is definitely a new trend for funding startups. Think of it like being a micro venture capitalist. It seems to be common among younger, hipster folks trying to develop 'green' ideas that are 'socially responsible', LOL. But you can do it for just about anything. Someone has what they think is a good idea. They tell folks about it and solicit funds for their idea. The more you give up front, the more you 'get'. A few bucks and they say 'thanks', a few more gets you a t-shirt or something, and the top tier guys get all that and one of the final product (if it is a product and it gets past the proto-type stage) or something similar like dinner with the founder or whatever.

The problem is such fund raising is completely unregulated, so buyer, errr, investor, beware.

The fact dude wanted to 'honor'CB with a website with such funding is kinda weird.

I guess I'm just old school. If I want to do something nice for someone, I pay for it myself, and my gift is commensurate with my ability to afford it.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:

....I do think that at bare minimum, something is very odd about the fund raising effort.

This is definitely a new trend for funding startups. Think of it like being a micro venture capitalist. It seems to be common among younger, hipster folks trying to develop 'green' ideas that are 'socially responsible', LOL. But you can do it for just about anything. Someone has what they think is a good idea. They tell folks about it and solicit funds for their idea. The more you give up front, the more you 'get'. A few bucks and they say 'thanks', a few more gets you a t-shirt or something, and the top tier guys get all that and one of the final product (if it is a product and it gets past the proto-type stage) or something similar like dinner with the founder or whatever.

The problem is such fund raising is completely unregulated, so buyer, errr, investor, beware.

The fact dude wanted to 'honor'CB with a website with such funding is kinda weird.

I guess I'm just old school. If I want to do something nice for someone, I pay for it myself, and my gift is commensurate with my ability to afford it.

Duckear:

It is illegal to raise equity investments without SEC registration. There are certain exceptions made for what are called "accredited investors." But right now, it is not legal to raise funds for new startups by simply appealing to the general public. This is not my area of expertise, but I have invested in PE stuff as an AE, so I know enough to make me dangerous.

The site trying to raise money for Boddington is a pure "brother, can spare a dolla?" kind of thing, with no promises of equity. You want to give, give. Incidentally, I think the site itself keeps 9% as its fee.

Once the law changes, then crowd funding will take off. But right now, it is illegal to solicit funds in exchange for equity without registering with the SEC.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
A lot of this really amazes me.

A fund raising effort was made by either CB or someone CB authorized. After all, there was a link to this fiasco on his Facebook page. Why is that hard to understand?

There is a lot of twisted logic (IMHO) related to endorsement/sponsorship fees. When Shockey makes his "I trust my life to Nosler comment" does anyone really think he isn't getting paid? I don't. When Ivan has the Hornady logo on his shirt, does anyone think he isn't getting paid? I don't. I don't see a thing wrong with that, nor do I see a problem with discounted hunts for writers and/or TV personalities.

I personally am not going to buy a product because XYZ professional hunter uses it. I may buy a product because a friend of mine has had good luck with the product but not because some celebrity endorses said product.

Having said that, both are fundamentally different that writing about a product made by an entity for which one has a ownership interest with no disclosure. There may not be any laws on these matters, I have no idea. Perhaps there should be. I know in my business, I have to make all kinds of disclosures to clients for relatively straight forward transactions. For example, if I get a fee from a buyer for finding a seller, there are massive disclosures I have to make.

I have never met CB. I don't care if I ever do. I do like his writing (generally). I do like some of his TV appearances. I do think that at bare minimum, something is very odd about the fund raising effort.

Very well said Larry!! tu2

Anyone who dosen't realize an industry professional is receiving some type of compensation for writing about, speaking about, or featuring on DVD or Television show, a product or service, is simply naive. Anyone who purchases that same product or service simply because of "hero worship" without doing their own due diligence is doubly naive. Personally, I'm not in favor of passing every law possible to save people from their own stupidity! I don't believe in the "Nanny State" mentality!!

As far as Aaron's hunt is concerned, he doesn't owe anyone any explanations as to what he did or did not pay for that or any other hunt! He's a booking agent. He gets paid a commission to match hunting clients to outfitters. His role is clear. He only books clients to outfitters he or his associates have hunted with and checked out himself. That allows him to have control over the quality of the outfitters he associates his company's name with. If he booked hunts with questionable outfitters, his business would dry up quickly. See the 23 pages or so on Blair World Wide Hunting!! It's his business, and his alone, what he negotiates with the outfitter regarding prices paid for a hunt to check out the quality of the area, PHs, and outfitter's services necessary to associate his name with!

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I view commercial hunt reports and gun/equipment reviews with a grain of salt. It's pretty simple. I'm sure the guns and equipment sent to writers are not just random samples off the assembly line. I also feel the same about golf equipment.

No offense to. Aaron, but I do believe he sold his interest or moved on from booking hunts and is now filming for a new tv show. I think he made a post here about the transition a while back. I hope I'm not mistaken. It makes no difference to me. He seems like a guy with whom I'd share a sundowner with, just like 99%, well 80% of you. No offense meant there either.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
quote:

I thought he was on the lion hunt filming a tv show. Maybe not, I dunno. Truth be told, I really don't care either. Just thought it odd that CB was getting hammered for not disclosing when the same exact thing is happening here with no recourse or bad mouthing at all.

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Anytime I see a TV program or read an article, by anyone, singing the praise of any product, I KNOW he is being paid.

I have absolutely nothing against that whatsoever.

Same with websites that claim to "review" products.

It does not take long before one realizes that they are pushing one product over all others.

But, back to this topic.

I get the feeling that there is more to this than has been posted.

Whatever it is, I wish Craig all the best.

From the little communications I have had with him, he always came through as a true gentleman.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68628 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunting For Adventure:
quote:

I thought he was on the lion hunt filming a tv show. Maybe not, I dunno. Truth be told, I really don't care either. Just thought it odd that CB was getting hammered for not disclosing when the same exact thing is happening here with no recourse or bad mouthing at all.

Really? Same thing is happening with Aaron? Damn this discussion has gotten convoluted to the max! Can we try to clean it up a bit and at least define what we are talking about?

Craig Boddington - This thread was started about his representative starting a creepy and cheesy fund raising campaign asking his potential customers to fund his "Internet Storefront" in the form of a website so that he can sell his products to those same potential customers. Kind of like a McDonalds franchise owner soliciting the local community for funds to pay for building his McDonalds restaurant so that he can sell burgers, fries, and shakes to those same customers! cuckoo

Then an off topic, side issue started about him not disclosing that he is being compensated for promoting hunting/shooting products and outfitters. Does anyone really believe Boddington promotes these things for free. Or let me ask it in another way, other than his service in the Marine Corps reserves, during which time he has been called to active duty on occasion, has Craig Boddington ever claimed another source of employment and income other than being a hunting/shooting celebrity? He has made it clear that he derives his income by writing and promoting hunting/shooting industry products and services. Just as a cross reference, check out his FaceBook wall, under employment, and see what is listed there!! Hello?

AAZWriter has a point concerning promoting a company (California Rigby) that he was a partial owner and director in without disclosing that connection, and evidently soliciting funding while the company was heading for Bankruptcy, but that is different from promoting products he has been hired to represent, which falls squarely within the definition of his job as an outdoor activity/product writer/promoter.

Aaron Neilson - Is a hunting booking agent. Sold part of his company awhile back, but made it clear that he was continuing to act as a booking agent for the new company. Take a look at his current signature line from the reference I've posted below. He's still a booking agent as listed.

As far as this particular lion hunt is concerned, has anyone seen the possible TV show episode aired yet? If I'm not mistaken, Aaron is still in the field hunting. THE SHOW HASN'T BEEN AIRED!! Since the show hasn't been aired yet, how can anyone claim he has hunted using certain products with a certain outfitter without disclosing what products or outfitters he is promoting for compensation on the show that hasn't been aired yet? bewildered

As far as I can tell, the only thing that Aaron has done so far concerning his lion hunt is that he's posted pictures of the lion on his FaceBook page and here on AR. I seem to remember that he stated on the Hornady DGX/DGS thread, that is currently running here on AR, that he used the DGX bullet with success, not only on this lion, but on a South American buffalo, as well as a cape buff, and a DGS on a hippo during the first day of this hunt. He also specifically stated that Hornady doesn't pay him a dime! So it seems that although the lion hunt episode hasn't aired yet, he has stated what bullet he's been using lately, and disclosed that the company making the bullet is not paying him. Hmmmm ... sounds to me like disclosure on the one product he's commented on in terms of performance so far. He did mention using a .416 Ruger but technically, that is a caliber, not a rifle if we are to pick-nits! But if not picking-nits, and taking that statement literally in terms of using a Ruger rifle, he did not comment on the rifle's performance, only the bullet's performance.

Here is the reference: http://forums.accuratereloadin...361019881#1361019881

As I've said several times, I could care less about who discloses what company is paying a celebrity hunter what compensation. I assume they are being compensated if promoting a product unless they state they aren't being paid. But can we at least keep the statements accurate before we end up with another Sullivan is an Alien type thread? killpc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread. From my side two points that I have personally experienced related to TV personalities mentioned here are

1/I have shared camp with Craig many years ago in Sapi- I found him both pleasent and humble. Certainly someone that I would have no problem sharing another camp with

2/ We had the pleasure of having Tim Herald come on a tuskless /buff hunt with a group. He has made two shows I believe out of that hunt. He never asked or got a reduced rate- he payed the full fee.

In my eyes I will never give a "special rate" to a writer/tv personality for the simple reason that I believe that they must pay the full rate and then they are entitled to write what they want about the hunt- Good of bad!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my eyes I will never give a "special rate" to a writer/tv personality for the simple reason that I believe that they must pay the full rate and then they are entitled to write what they want about the hunt- Good of bad!

Bravo.

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Walter Mitty cameramen making spliffy posts is not much of an issue. A bit of light relief, if anything.

But the Miller/Rigby gig certainly got my attention when it first came out. Very poor show indeed.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
AnotherAZWriter,
I know it is illegal to solicit equity investments. I never said it was legal. I detailed how those funding site work now. You get a tshirt, one of the first products to roll off the line or some such token of thanks. Certainly not shares in the company.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Aaron Neilson - ....Take a look at his current signature line....

I tried to read it the other day and made it about halfway through before I had to go to bed. I might try to read the rest later Big Grin

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:
Interesting thread. From my side two points that I have personally experienced related to TV personalities mentioned here are

1/I have shared camp with Craig many years ago in Sapi- I found him both pleasent and humble. Certainly someone that I would have no problem sharing another camp with

2/ We had the pleasure of having Tim Herald come on a tuskless /buff hunt with a group. He has made two shows I believe out of that hunt. He never asked or got a reduced rate- he payed the full fee.

This is exactly why disclosure would help those choosing who/where to go...how many watched the show and thought you gave away free hunts to drum up business? Clearly many here would have.

Duckear: I misread your post; sorry. My error.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
quote:

I tried to read it the other day and made it about halfway through before I had to go to bed. I might try to read the rest later Big Grin

Hysterical. You have to order the supersize Kindle just to download a post.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
quote:

It's that public school education coming out in you Drum. Smiler try sounding out the words phone-et-ick-lee. It helps me and my Texas Tech edumacation. I always seem to get hung up at Trijicon, I just don't remember them teaching us that word in school.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kind of like a McDonalds franchise owner soliciting the local community for funds to pay for building his McDonalds restaurant so that he can sell burgers, fries, and shakes to those same customers!

You D-Nozzles just need to scrap your Victorian ideals and "ethics" and blast into 2013. This is how us hipster/twitter types do it now. Eeker

Sorry, I was channeling Conrad there for a moment. I've had a taco and feel much better now. Smiler

I'm all for a vibrant hunting advertising industry. Just disclose it. I used to love guns and ammo as a kid. I understood that it was 1/2 ads and 1/2 articles. When it became 1/2 ads and 1/2 articles that were sponsored by those same advertisers it died. There were suddenly no more articles about anyone who hadn't purchased ad space, and those were of course 'suspect.' We really need a Consumer Reports type hunting/gun rag, as SCI is bought and paid for and the net has its perils too.

One of the most unpleasant hunting experiences I've ever had was the brief meeting with a doc and his vapid wife who were on a Hornady sponsored elephant hunt to test their 470 ammo. He freely admitted he didn't think much of their ammo and so pulled the bullets and loaded his own, but was still there on their dime (and with their cameraman). Needless to say Hornady got the glowing reviews they paid for, and we're all the poorer for it. I have to think this kind of double dealing isn't an uncommon occurrence given the limited market and the fierce competition for it.

Bob (not a hater, just a wanter of full disclosure)

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say I know CB well but we have bumped into each other a few times and we have emailed a fair bit over the years and in all my dealings with him, he's always been a thorough gentleman.

We've never hunted together but did look into it once or twice and dates were always a problem. I also know several people he has hunted with.

It's not at all unusual for some hunting 'personalities/authors/magazines/TV companies' to ask for discounts and sometimes (perhaps often) even free hunts. We ALWAYS turned such requests down flat but I do know of several companies that play the game.

However, I've never known or even heard of Craig ask anyone for any kind of a discount, let alone a freebie.

As for many of the comments here, I just pray you blokes never hear if I get sick because some of you buggers will have me in my coffin before I've even consulted a ducking foctor! rotflmo Wink

ADDED

I wouldn't hesitate to say I consider Craig to be an absolute gentleman in every possible way as one would expect from someone of his abilities and achievements and I'd be happy to share a campfire and a bottle with him anytime. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SAEED - First off, you are wrong on one thing. I don't get a DIME from Ruger, Hornady, Leica, or any of the other companies that sponsor the shows produced by SAFARI CLASSICS, period!!!!!!

Secondly, as I mentioned on the other thread - for anyone to think these outfitters "give me or hugely discount me" a Lion hunt, you're delusional, period! Good lion hunts are like hens teeth, they aren't gonna give one to me or anyone else. In case your interested in my disclosure 54Hunter, or whatever your name is. I'm paying $55,000.00 OUT OF MY OWN POCKET - you knob head! The only thing I get is my 15% commission on the daily rates, like I get for selling any other hunt.

Good lord, stop speculating and know before you speak!!!!

I pay for, and hunt the lion cause its was I LOVE TO DO - period!!!!! Ask Dave Fulson what I paid to hunt lion in the Zambezi Valley last year if you think I'm getting some "free/discount hunt", he can tell you, cause I paid the money to SAFARI CLASSICS!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the other thread where 54 has a question.

Andrew, that can't be so? Surely you and Richard were giving me free lion hunts? Hell, just ask goofball54, he can tell you all he knows about my biz.

By the way goofball54, I stand corrected. I checked my contract 5 min ago, for the hunt I am on now. 18 day lion/buff safari at $53,500.00 to include trophy fees. Of which, I've taken both already. 2nd buff for $5k trophy fee, plus I'll have several thousand in tips too! If you can add, that's over $60k. Anymore questions?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
From the other thread where 54 has a question.

Andrew, that can't be so? Surely you and Richard were giving me free lion hunts? Hell, just ask goofball54, he can tell you all he knows about my biz.

By the way goofball54, I stand corrected. I checked my contract 5 min ago, for the hunt I am on now. 18 day lion/buff safari at $53,500.00 to include trophy fees. Of which, I've taken both already. 2nd buff for $5k trophy fee, plus I'll have several thousand in tips too! If you can add, that's over $60k. Anymore questions?

So you mean that when I become a booking agent I am not going to get free stuff and hunts for next to nothing? Wendell told me I would get money for nothing and the chicks for free, or maybe I heard that on the radio. Dammit. I guess it is back to the fall back plan to become a high paid outdoor writer. Frowner

Mike

Posts: 21667 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am going to make one more comment, and then I think I will be done. And lest you think otherwise, no one has PM'd with some dirty laundry, called me, etc. This whole thread is emotionally draining and depressing.

I spent a lot of time this weekend thinking about my own ethical behavior. Like many of you, as I get older what used to be acceptable behavior no longer is.
I reviewed some things that I wrote years ago, and some of the practices that I used to follow and recommended to others. I was pretty surprised - was that me? Where was the disclosure? Granted, this was years ago, but there is no half life for the written word. I know most of you don't think disclosure is a big deal, but it is to me and I have made it a big deal here on AR (don't worry, I was never a director at a gun company). My own ethical positions in this industry have evolved over time but time erases a lot - unless you documented them in writing, which I have. So perhaps Craig thought at the time the Rigby thing was okay, but now feels he would not do the same thing today - and looks back thinking, "What the hell was I thinking?" One can only hope. He certainly cannot change what he did. And I am pretty sure he isn't the only one who wrote about matters with which he had a financial stake. So while I don't think he is the epitome of virtue, few if any of us are, including me (and for the sake of levity I will include Wendell). Hopefully we get better with age by acting differently in the future.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am going to make one more comment, and then I think I will be done. And lest you think otherwise, no one has PM'd with some dirty laundry, called me, etc. This whole thread is emotionally draining and depressing.

I spent a lot of time this weekend thinking about my own ethical behavior. Like many of you, as I get older what used to be acceptable behavior no longer is.
I reviewed some things that I wrote years ago, and some of the practices that I used to follow and recommended to others. I was pretty surprised - was that me? Where was the disclosure? Granted, this was years ago, but there is no half life for the written word. I know most of you don't think disclosure is a big deal, but it is to me and I have made it a big deal here on AR (don't worry, I was never a director at a gun company). My own ethical positions in this industry have evolved over time but time erases a lot - unless you documented them in writing, which I have. So perhaps Craig thought at the time the Rigby thing was okay, but now feels he would not do the same thing today - and looks back thinking, "What the hell was I thinking?" One can only hope. He certainly cannot change what he did. And I am pretty sure he isn't the only one who wrote about matters with which he had a financial stake. So while I don't think he is the epitome of virtue, few if any of us are, including me (and for the sake of levity I will include Wendell). Hopefully we get better with age by acting differently in the future.

I agree and like much of what you write. Just out of interest what does AZ stand for?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I Shared a camp with Mr. Boddington last summer. I had a great experience with him. He shared a stalk with me and took pics the entire time.
Craig is a person who i hold in high regard.
Just my experience.
WSmiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
SAEED - First off, you are wrong on one thing. I don't get a DIME from Ruger, Hornady, Leica, or any of the other companies that sponsor the shows produced by SAFARI CLASSICS, period!!!!!!

Secondly, as I mentioned on the other thread - for anyone to think these outfitters "give me or hugely discount me" a Lion hunt, you're delusional, period! Good lion hunts are like hens teeth, they aren't gonna give one to me or anyone else. In case your interested in my disclosure 54Hunter, or whatever your name is. I'm paying $55,000.00 OUT OF MY OWN POCKET - you knob head! The only thing I get is my 15% commission on the daily rates, like I get for selling any other hunt.

Good lord, stop speculating and know before you speak!!!!

I pay for, and hunt the lion cause its was I LOVE TO DO - period!!!!! Ask Dave Fulson what I paid to hunt lion in the Zambezi Valley last year if you think I'm getting some "free/discount hunt", he can tell you, cause I paid the money to SAFARI CLASSICS!!

I would just like to add PERIOD exclamation point!!!!!

I'm kidding with you. Quit looking at AR and get back to hunting. If you wash your shirts they're worth nothing to me.

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just out of interest what does AZ stand for?

AZ is the abbreviation for the great state of
Arizona.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

So you mean that when I become a booking agent I am not going to get free stuff and hunts for next to nothing? Wendell told me I would get money for nothing and the chicks for free.

No, you are right, that's how I roll. Aaron must be doing something wrong.

How's that for disclosure?

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Wendell told me I would get money for nothing and the chicks for free

Well you are in dire straits then, aren't you Big Grin

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
It's that public school education coming out in you Drum. Smiler try sounding out the words phone-et-ick-lee. It helps me and my Texas Tech edumacation. I always seem to get hung up at Trijicon, I just don't remember them teaching us that word in school.

It wasn't the words that got me, it was the length. I read The Old Man and the Boy by Robert Ruark quicker because that was only 320 pages. Have you seen Nielsons "signature"? It's brutal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AZ, on ethics, I stand by a couple of standards. 1. Would I want my 9 year old daughter to see or know what I am doing? 2. Is it right? If it is not or "gray" - do not do it.

On CB, he seems a good guy, writes well, hunts a lot. He has represented nearly every bullet, gun, agent, clothes, outfitter out there. I watched " Boddington on Buffalo". He represented A-frame bullets, Swarovski Optics and Dakota rifles. On other DVD's he reps other stuff. In his reviews, hr rarely ever says anything controversial or derogatory about a product. However, he is on his 4th marriage, he has been involved in the Rigby's Rifle fiasco, his daughter shot a tracker and he tried to sell hunts and guns to pay for the hospital bills, I have spoken to two PH's that I followed his hunts on and they said the circus was a little over the top. They said CB paid for the hunts but hinted at "consideration" for the advertising, both declined.

I think he and his posse are trying to tap into the hero worship market with this cameraman mess. He is short on quick cash opportunities when Ivan Carter took over his TV gig. I suspect that he asked for too much money and Ivan was a fresh face that would work for less. The TV people like to change and like to make more money. CB is a writer and not a PH. Nice change for the TV people, not good for CB.

He was hustling money and running out of options.

Anyway, now that I am a douchenozzle, my opinion is not so popular.
Oh well....

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
as i posted out earlier, i am still looking for money for nothing and chicks for free- apparently it isn't found in the outdoor writer biz. i guess i should just move on to the rock and roll biz...any i really think douchenozzle is 2 words, not 1. in the interest of full disclosure, however, i will state that i am on the research staff of Massingale(sp??) feminine products. i am the sniff tester.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13390 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I have been Crossfitting so much my Cleans, Jerks, Snatches, and Overhead Squats have made my delts massive. rotflmo
Therefore my SheSafari gear no longer fits as comfortably through the shoulders.

After reading through this humorous thread I realized there's gold in them there shirts.

I would like to offer my "Francolin Shirt" for sale. Maybe I could get Andrew Baldry to autograph it and remember, Wendell was once in the same house as the shirt. Very unique provenance. Yoyo out to my man Wendall.

I could offer it here on AR first before hiring Conrad as my marketing agent.

Let the bidding begin! jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are we going to do with an Extra Small shirt though Little Miss? bewildered

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
how much and where do i send my money??

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13390 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
What are we going to do with an Extra Small shirt though Little Miss? bewildered

You are forgetting the Baldry/Wendall angle. You could frame it and hang it on your wall!! beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
how much and where do i send my money??

Just for full disclosure, I do not come with the shirt! sofa