Find
Notify
Tools

Rock Bottom For Boddington
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I will give you a first hand example of why it matters if someone fails to disclose their financial interest in a product, service, hunt, etc.

A number of years ago, after watching a show on the Outdoor Channel hosted by a fellow named Keith Warren, I booked a whitetail deer hunt in Seguin, Texas. On the show, Keith talked about what a wonderful ranch this was, how he had never seen so many deer, that the quality of the deer was outstanding, the ranch had a aggressive management program, etc. I ended up booking a hunt there and was less than pleased with my experience. Subsequently, I learned that Keith not just hunted on the ranch, he OWNED the ranch. That was something that NEVER was mentioned on the show, on the website for the ranch, anywhere. He used the show as an infomercial for his ranch without ever disclosing his financial interest in the ranch. Had he disclosed his interest, obviously I would have been much more skeptical of claims on the show. In retrospect, I should have done more due diligence anyway and I learned a valuable lesson from that experience. I have no problem with shows having sponsors, featuring the sponsored products, and the like; without such sponsorships the shows would never be possible. What I do have a problem with is the deception that is frequently practiced of not being completely candid about having a financial stake in products, services, hunts, etc. that outdoor writers and television hosts tout in their writings and on their shows.

Mike

Posts: 21697 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CB has had a tough road on this site. His daughter was horribly scrutinized regarding the accident while Leopard hunting. God forbid a situation such as that ever befalls any of us.
I suppose being a celebrity of sorts has its pitfalls.
It seems our culture these days is so focused on the misery of others.
CB may be thinking of changing his name to Kardasian. He is getting about as much play on this site.
Oh well....

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I will give you a first hand example of why it matters if someone fails to disclose their financial interest in a product, service, hunt, etc.

A number of years ago, after watching a show on the Outdoor Channel hosted by a fellow named Keith Warren, I booked a whitetail deer hunt in Seguin, Texas. On the show, Keith talked about what a wonderful ranch this was, how he had never seen so many deer, that the quality of the deer was outstanding, the ranch had a aggressive management program, etc. I ended up booking a hunt there and was less than pleased with my experience. Subsequently, I learned that Keith not just hunted on the ranch, he OWNED the ranch. That was something that NEVER was mentioned on the show, on the website for the ranch, anywhere. He used the show as an infomercial for his ranch without ever disclosing his financial interest in the ranch. Had he disclosed his interest, obviously I would have been much more skeptical of claims on the show. In retrospect, I should have done more due diligence anyway and I learned a valuable lesson from that experience. I have no problem with shows having sponsors, featuring the sponsored products, and the like; without such sponsorships the shows would never be possible. What I do have a problem with is the deception that is frequently practiced of not being completely candid about having a financial stake in products, services, hunts, etc. that outdoor writers and television hosts tout in their writings and on their shows.

'Don't often hear "whitetail deer" and "Seguin" in the same sentence. Good farm land. Good "Lute-r-an" school (actually pretty liberal now). Not so much big deer.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
AAZW,

I understand very well that you have issues with hunting industry guys making money from what most of us consider to be our fun or sport activities. It's a common theme in your posts. I understand it makes a difference to you. I don't know why, because as you say, you don't seem to be hurting financially and can do whatever hunts you desire. It bothers you, it doesn't me. Anytime an industry professional is publicly promoting or writing about a product or outfitter, I assume there is compensation going on. The only time I would think otherwise is if the guy specifically states that NO COMPENSATION is being paid. A bit like Shockey stating that he doesn't charge SCI for the advertising spots he does for them on his show. Now, if we found out later that SCI does pay Mr. Shockey for those spots, then I'd say we were lied to and I'd have an issue with that. But I start from the assumption that payment, in some form is being made and proceed accordingly.

As far as what a hunt costs and how that cost is derived as a result of free hunts given in return for publicity, again, I don't see how that affects me. I doubt that it makes much difference. For example, if a certain outfitter can get $25,000 for a certain hunt, I doubt he will drop that price to $20,000 if a celebrity happened to hunt with him earlier and paid full price. In other words, if he can get $25,000 for the hunt, he's going to charge $25,000, regardless of whether or not he gave a discount to a celebrity hunter earlier in the season.

And Mike,

If you guys are booking hunts or buying products solely because you saw the latest hunting hero shooting that rifle, scope, ammo, or hunting with a certain outfitter, then find yourself in a less than optimum position, who is really to blame there? Again, anytime I see an industry professional using a product or hunting with a certain ranch or outfitter, I realize some form of compensation is in play. One way or another. I use those shows or articles mostly for entertainment but realize it's a business. Money has to be made to provide that entertainment. From that standpoint, the shows or articles alert me to a potential product or outfitter for which I begin doing my own research on, to convince myself that it is all that it is cracked up to be.

I like Don Henley's music. I haven't contributed to the Walden Woods Project! I like George Clooney as an actor but I didn't vote for Obama. I'm friends with Tim Herald but I don't shoot T/C rifles or Nosler bullets. I'm friends with Dave Fulson but I don't shoot Hornady DGX or DGS bullets. I do like the Trijicon line of optics however, which I learned about on TAA. I did my own research on those products and decided which ones I though were for me and which ones were not.

BTW, I've also been on a hunt that didn't turn out to be all it was cracked up to be. It would be easy for me to blame others, but the bottom line is I didn't do my homework and suffered the consequences thereof.

I am in full agreement however that Craig Boddington, who has done as many hunts as he has, doesn't need my $20 contribution toward building an "internet storefront" for him to sell his own wares. I might buy a book or two from him; in fact I have in the past. He can use whatever profit is generated from those sales of items that have a real value to fund the building of his "internet storefront". A promise to "put my picture on his wall" or send me a "picture of Craig in a classic grip and smile pose standing over one of his trophies" doesn't seem to be fair value in exchange for him getting a place to sell his stuff. And I damn sure don't need a soiled T-Shirt!! That's ... really ... strange! If not down right nasty!!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
BTW, I've also been on a hunt that didn't turn out to be all it was cracked up to be. It would be easy for me to blame others, but the bottom line is I didn't do my homework and suffered the consequences thereof.

Not sure I was suggesting otherwise, perhaps I was too pithy. Wink

Mike

Posts: 21697 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd:

I have no problem with anyone making money in the hunting industry, I really don't. I have said TV is actually much more transparent than writing, because the commercials and the sponsor announcements are obvious. I have never said anything different. There is disclosure there. That same disclosure is lacking in written publications. However, some are getting better. I pointed out in a recent thread that the latest issue of American Hunter acknowledged who paid for what, and I really appreciated that.

I also recently posted that I thought CB's story in the 40th HUNTING anniversary issue was excellent; I stand by that. I enjoyed the story immensely (it was about a hunt with Bob Petersen with no mention of products). I also enjoy CBs books, because they don't generally talk about products. I have said that before here as well.

Twenty years ago writers didn't endorse products the way they do today; you wrote a story and got paid for it. Today, you have no idea if the Surefire flashlight is mentioned because the author believes it to be good or because he is paid to say that (or received a free hunt for it).

Some of my friends are guys who make their living in this industry, including writers, booking agents, and manufacturers. More power to them.

One guy I have a huge amount of respect for is John Wootters, who died last January. He told me he was really saddened by the way the industry has changed. I imagine he is rolling over in his grave now.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I deleted my original post.

I did not handle my response well and my temper made the situation worse.

I felt badly that Craig was being attacked for something I did (The indiegogo.com campaign) It was sincerely just an effort to be a good friend. I reacted badly in defense of Craig's reputation.

I genuinely was just trying to do something nice for Craig. There was nothing else to it.

I apologize for making this situation worse.

Conrad Evarts

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well... there ya go. A real sincere dadgum apology.

ALL IS WELL

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ConradEvarts:

I felt badly that Craig was being attacked for something I did (The indiegogo.com campaign) It was sincerely just an effort to be a good friend. I reacted badly in defense of Craig's reputation.

I genuinely was just trying to do something nice for Craig. There was nothing else to it.

Conrad Evarts

Ah, there you go, Conrad. Contrition is good for the soul. The first step to becoming a codger is accepting responsibility. Not sure what it'll take to make you a fellow "douchenozzle", however, but trust me you'll get there.

Now all that's left for you is waiting to hear what Craig has to say about your many and varied efforts on his behalf. Whatever that might be, you've more or less forced him to respond in some way to this PR nightmare. If you're really his friend, you might suggest that.

No doubt an ignominious start, but perhaps you'll fit in here after all. With your flair for insults you'll be a natural on future posts involving Mark Sullivan.

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
WOW! I mean WOW!!!!! I just read this whole thread and my mind is melting......... killpc

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Greetings.

Firstly, thanks to the folks who withheld judgement and showed respect to Craig Boddington. He's a great guy, friend, father, hunter and veteran. I was trying to do something nice for him by creating the indiegogo.com campaign and the subsequent website.

This is Conrad Evarts. A cameraman who you can Google and find out much of my professional background. Novel idea right? Instead of just gazing wet eyed into this clunky, outdated website populated by graybearded paranoids who don't realize the internet evolved. No, seriously this website sucks The fact that you nuts are on here gives me a great deal of insight into your mindset.

School is now in session. Let's start by taking our tinfoil hats off and putting our thinking caps on. Hopefully when we're done the paranoids here can get their nurse to administer their meds, put them to bed and unplug their computers and the rest of the haters can return to their bunkers to polish their 30,000 rounds of ammo.

I am real. I was trying to do something nice for someone I respect. Craig Boddington was not terribly savvy on my effort because he spends all his time in the boonies but trusted me to try and make this work.

More importantly, outside of your antiquated worlds crowd funding sites like www.indiegogo.com and www.kickstarter.com are very acceptable ways to raise money for business endeavors. There are many for profit businesses using them. These include everything from musicians and movie studios to bakeries and websites.

Set down your tattered Jack O'Connor bible, get in a friggin' time machine and blast yourself to 2013. All sorts of businesses are using crowd funding. It's not strange at all.

So, in conclusion:
-I am real. Google me.
-This was not a scam and is totally normal these days.
-Craig Boddington was not entirely savvy because he is of your generation. This was not his fault and besides that if it wasn't for you crusty old haters this would be totally cool and worked and created something great for a new generation of hunters.
-Craig Boddington did not take a vow of poverty to be who he is. If someone like me can help him raise money to create a site that would only be judged by a total commie.

If you don't like the idea of me raising funds to put together a totally positive and interesting website as a favor to a friend you don't have to contribute to it.

Craig asked me to disable the campaign. I did so out of respect for him not to placate you blood sucking, paranoid savages. You haters are pathetic.

And "Lonestar 2075"...Tim, I know who you are. You know who I am. I've been to your crappy little shop in Texas to repair an episode your operation screwed the pooch on years ago. You're a coward and an embarrassment. Grow a pair and put your name up.

Finally, I've stepped in the ring with you ladies now. Go warm up a stack of Hot Pockets and get your mommy to ice down your 12 pack of Mountain Dew because I don't tangle on the internet often but when I do, it isn't pretty.

Thanks again to everyone who showed respect to Craig. I meant what I said, I spent a great deal of time with him in the field. I respect him and he's a good person.

Sincerely,

Conrad Evarts (proud friend of Craig Boddington)

shocker

Wow!!! All I can say is that I am proud to not be of that generation and if I am a hater...what is he Satan hisself!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:

Conrad Evarts

tu2

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I felt badly that Craig was being attacked for something I did (The indiegogo.com campaign) It was sincerely just an effort to be a good
friend. I reacted badly in defense of Craig's reputation.

Conrad Evarts

Good restart Conrad, thank you.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Conrad Evarts

tu2

I suspect this is more along the lines CB would write.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done, Conrad. Most of us with more than 100 posts have written plenty of things we'd like to take back, if we could.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Must have been a great taco!!!

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KPete:
quote:

Conrad Evarts

Ah, there you go, Conrad. Contrition is good for the soul. The first step to becoming a codger is accepting responsibility. Not sure what it'll take to make you a fellow "douchenozzle", however, but trust me you'll get there.

Now all that's left for you is waiting to hear what Craig has to say about your many and varied efforts on his behalf. Whatever that might be, you've more or less forced him to respond in some way to this PR nightmare. If you're really his friend, you might suggest that.

No doubt an ignominious start, but perhaps you'll fit in here after all. With your flair for insults you'll be a natural on future posts involving Mark Sullivan.

Oh, it sure sounds like CB is all too aware of Conrad's rant by now.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! I cannot believe this.

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samir:
yuck

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will believe Conradbag sincerity when Craig clears him of any wrong doing. In the mean time I will just continue to be nozzle head or whatever.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty easy going but this whole thread has me scratching my head and wondering. I guess I don't understand why anyone would give a rats behind if CB or anyone on his behalf (with or without consent) sold products to benefit a website for Craig. He could sell dirty underwear and i could give a crap less (pun intended). It has no bearing on my life, family or finances. I guess I don't get it.

And as for the disclosure stuff; sure there are always benefits from working in any industry. There are perks in every industry from free golf to free ski weekends in Europe. Some agents get lots of very discounted or free hunts (lion and DG included...), writers and TV personalities get free swag and trips, and industry reps (bullets, arrows, etc) get all sorts of free stuff. I do agree that disclosure is necessary but I am smart enough (as I would sure as hell hope most everyone on here is) to realize that it is just the nature of business. I don't hold it against anyone nor would I make a financial decision based upon it. That is similar to a kid buying Michael Jordan Nike's because it will help you dunk. Give me a break.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
quote:
Originally posted by samir:
yuck

I think he was served a big shit taco courtesy of Craig Boddington.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Come on, guys. The man apologized.

Don't be a lot of crusty douchenozzles.

He gave a real apology. Not a Bill Cinton apology, as in "Mistakes were made."

I'm buying it.

Conrad, go and sin no more.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
And I thought he was going bear hunting!

Apologies or no apologies.

One thing is for certain.

The true character and colour of this individual have come right through.

Glowing with pride!

I never for a million years would have imagined a gentleman like Craig would have someone remotely resembling our Conrad as a friend.

This is how that old saying came about.

With friends like this, who needs enemies?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
For a lawyer in the NE, you are a forgiving soul.
I am still hoping CB comes here and lays out what the truth is. You never know what the truth will be.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
I really laughed at this. Bravo

quote:
Finally, I've stepped in the ring with you ladies now. Go warm up a stack of Hot Pockets and get your mommy to ice down your 12 pack of Mountain Dew because I don't tangle on the internet often but when I do, it isn't pretty.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have all my life heard the term 'feeding frenzy' and this thread demonstrates it perfectly. Just out of college I worked for Armstrong Rubber. As a supervisor I was allowed 1 set of tires per year. Any size to do with as I pleased. If were at a certain level they would even mount them and balance and rotate for the chance to check specs,etc. I then worked for PPG industries in the Glass Division,again in a supervisory capacity. We were allowed so many square feet of the glass of our choice and when I transferred to the division that made windshields we were allowed a windshield, and recieved 5 white shirts per year along with a pair of safety shoes of our choice. All supervisors were required to wear a white shirt and tie. From there I went to a subdivision developer and received my home at a vastly reduced price. I finished my work career with a concrete/asphalt company where I was allowed so much concrete or asphalt per year. Did I ever advertise these facts,no but neither did involuntarily disclose them. Did I ever reccomend the products produced or sold by them you bet your bottom dollar I did. I would venture few if any of these forum members are any different. This thread is an example why I take such a jaundiced view of this forum. The value gained is not worth the chaff most of the time.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, this is some funny stuff! When I read the definition of codger "douchenozzle" I laughed so hard I cried! Haven't done that in quite awhile. Here all this time I've just been trying to figure out how to get my rifle to shoot straight.

Posts: 41 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why does anyone even care about this? If you like the guy take some of his advice if not don't. I know and like him. Does that mean I am going to buy stuff just because he endorses it or "donate" to his website? Hell no! Not anymore than I would anyone else.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:
Originally posted by KPete:
quote:

Conrad Evarts

Oh, it sure sounds like CB is all too aware of Conrad's rant by now.

It would have been interesting to have sat in on that conversation....... Eeker

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Conrad:

Meth and/or speed are a bad thing. They make you seem to accomplish a lot without accomplishing anything, but it's still not a good idea. Glad you seem to have come down again.

I'd check with Craig before I did anything else on his behalf. I doubt seriously if he woudl approve of what you have done thus far.

However, it does not surprise me that Craig regarded Conrad as a friend. Have any of you ever known Craig to meet a stranger, not treat you as a long lost friend, etc.? Maybe he should be a bit more selective; I guess that's up to him.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked a perfect time to be in bed with the flu. This thread has been awesome.  I'd burst out laughing and then hold my head in excruciating pain. 
Not one time did my respect for Craig Boddington waiver. 

I would like to see some more of the  "Yo Yo, Hater, Bitch stuff from Wojo and Wendell

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the rest of you, but I was a lot happier two days ago than I am now.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I don't know about the rest of you, but I was a lot happier two days ago than I am now.

I can see why after some of the post you made on this thread.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dog Man:
quote:

Don't confuse sadness with regret. The issue of Rigby is pretty serious IMO. Maybe not to you, but it is to me. Anyone who thinks otherwise is willing to sweep journalistic ethics under the rug.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
I have all my life heard the term 'feeding frenzy' and this thread demonstrates it perfectly. Just out of college I worked for Armstrong Rubber. As a supervisor I was allowed 1 set of tires per year. Any size to do with as I pleased. If were at a certain level they would even mount them and balance and rotate for the chance to check specs,etc. I then worked for PPG industries in the Glass Division,again in a supervisory capacity. We were allowed so many square feet of the glass of our choice and when I transferred to the division that made windshields we were allowed a windshield, and recieved 5 white shirts per year along with a pair of safety shoes of our choice. All supervisors were required to wear a white shirt and tie. From there I went to a subdivision developer and received my home at a vastly reduced price. I finished my work career with a concrete/asphalt company where I was allowed so much concrete or asphalt per year. Did I ever advertise these facts,no but neither did involuntarily disclose them. Did I ever reccomend the products produced or sold by them you bet your bottom dollar I did. I would venture few if any of these forum members are any different. This thread is an example why I take such a jaundiced view of this forum. The value gained is not worth the chaff most of the time.
I have absolutely no problems with writers or presenters receiving goods and payment for endorsement... in terms of the hunting 'industry', it simply makes a lot of this work. We should be thanking sponsors for their involvement.

But what you have written here has almost zero to do with these endorsements; what you receive as perks of employment has nothing to do with journalists and celebrities gaining by endorsing products. There are whole rafts of Federal legislation on this - look up US Federal Trade Commission - endorsement guidelines. tu2

quote:
quote:

I agree.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am getting asked why did we delete Conrad's posts.

We did not.

He did that himself, that is why I copied his initial outburst to save it from being deleted.

"...Finally, I've stepped in the ring with you ladies now. Go warm up a stack of Hot Pockets and get your mommy to ice down your 12 pack of Mountain Dew because I don't tangle on the internet often but when I do, it isn't pretty.
.."

Obviously, the ladies he stepped into the ring with are more than he can handle! clap

Dave, please be careful not to touch him. You will need lots of disinfectant and antibiotics to get rid of the germs you might catch rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I am getting asked why did we delete Conrad's posts.

We did not.

He did that himself, that is why I copied his initial outburst to save it from being deleted.

"...Finally, I've stepped in the ring with you ladies now. Go warm up a stack of Hot Pockets and get your mommy to ice down your 12 pack of Mountain Dew because I don't tangle on the internet often but when I do, it isn't pretty.
.."

Obviously, the ladies he stepped into the ring with are more than he can handle! clap

Dave, please be careful not to touch him. You will need lots of disinfectant and antibiotics to get rid of the germs you might catch rotflmo

Classic!

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would like to see some more of the  "Yo Yo, Hater, Bitch stuff from Wojo and Wendell

Bitch ate my Moose stew and still calls me a hater. The stew had nothing to do with his balls swelling either.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I really feel sorry for Mr. Boddington. He is so well known that it draws out all sorts of admirers - ALL sorts. He seems to be a stand-up fellow and I think he has a big heart. I don't think he was taken advantage of but I do think he is a victim of the worst form of fan-warship. It is "favors" like the promotion site that he could really do better without.

I have been reading Boddington since his articles first appeared in the gun magazines. I always think of him as the guy who wrote about this or that. I consider him an experienced hunter and writer but, to me, he falls short of being a true authority on guns and hunting. To me an authority is someone who does what he does, he becomes expert at it, and writing about it is secondary. Whereas Mr. Boddington does what he does with the express purpose of writing about it. Perhaps, I guess, that makes him an authority on writing. But isn't that what he is supposed to be all about anyway - reporting, comparing, talking up guns, ammo, and hunting? And, because he is very good at it, I enjoy his writings.

Having his pictures, books, and articles shared by hundreds of thousands of consumers brings Mr. Boddington no little popularity. And with popularity comes a readership that grows to feel they know him personally. Some may even go beyond fan to fanatic. Once that line is crossed, people act out of emotion. After this experience, Mr. Boddington will, no doubt, be a little more wary of the calamity that can be brought by a well intentioned fan blinded from clear thought by the stars in his eyes.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote