New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rock Bottom For Boddington
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron Neilson, thank you you put into word what i would have like to. it's no ones business but Craigs.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
There's a whole lot of truth in this thread...and a whole lot of running for cover it seems!

Big Grin

Frankly, I don't give a damn about how a guy makes his money or how he relates to his own family or who his friends are....except when those financial or biological or social relationships are concealed (or at least not revealed) and it comes to impact me and my decisions in a manipulative way. If a writer gives good reviews to a hunting area run by his brother in law, I deserve to know about that relationship. If a TV host films a hunt on his good old friends ranch and gets a cut of future hunt revenue, I deserve to know about it. If a guy pays less than the market rate for a hunt because he has promised an article on the subject, I deserve to know about it.

Have I received deals because of pieces I wrote? Probably...but I never got a deal BEFORE having written the article and never had a deal promised for the future before having written anything. It's not my livelihood so I don't go looking for those deals, have no reason to be less than honest in an assessment, and have no reason to not be up-front if such financial arrangements came to exist. It's a pity that the pros can be less than forthright.

If writers and TV hosts aren't open with those payment arrangements and back room deals, the consumers of what is put out there by them have no choice but to assume that ALL pieces of writing and TV hunting shows are severely tainted in favor of whatever outfitter is being profiled. This is, quite frankly, a wise suspicion to follow but it is a shame that it is encouraged by folks being less than transparent.

Are you really that naïve as to believe that deals weren't struck on pretty well every hunt a television personality or writer goes on....come on seriously man. Take that as a given and then look at the credibility of the person giving the endorsement. Some people can be paid, get a deal or whatever and still maintain honesty and integrity and others will always be sell outs. Getting paid or getting a deal doesn't instantly mean the person is a sell out or shill....it means it's their freaking job and it's how they pay the mortgage. Some do that work with honesty and integrity and some don't......be smart enough to figure out the difference and don't paint them all with one brush. It says a lot about you when you do.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by jwm:
quote:
Originally posted by RaySendero:
I have no "irons in this fire" but found this thread entertaining. Even to the point of finding this pic of CB with CE:

That picture is shocking! I had concocted a mental image of Conrad...he looked about 15 years old, wore baggy pants hanging off his ass and had on a baseball cap worn sideways. Now that I see his much-more-mature countenance, I realize that he is practically old enough for honourary douchenozzle status.

He looks old enough to know better.

My thoughts exactly. I was expecting a community college drop out in his mid twenties.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:

Are you really that naïve as to believe that deals weren't struck on pretty well every hunt a television personality or writer goes on....come on seriously man. Take that as a given and then look at the credibility of the person giving the endorsement. Some people can be paid, get a deal or whatever and still maintain honesty and integrity and others will always be sell outs. Getting paid or getting a deal doesn't instantly mean the person is a sell out or shill....it means it's their freaking job and it's how they pay the mortgage. Some do that work with honesty and integrity and some don't......be smart enough to figure out the difference and don't paint them all with one brush. It says a lot about you when you do.

I am not naive but actually a natural skeptic. However, it's clear that your reading comprehension needs some work. I don't believe I ever said that people could not maintain objectivity in spite of being paid. I was however, being critical of the "it's no one's business" line when in actuality it IS my business...whether it's a hosts friends, family, or monetary arrangements in question. If I am to take a writer or TV host seriously enough to act upon their recommendation, they really should be straight up about what is pretty obvious to most people. Otherwise, there is really no option but to assume that the individual is not only being paid...but taking measures to hide it and appear "squeaky clean" when saying what a great hunt they had. Is to act in such a way really exhibiting "honesty and integrity"? Frankly, to paraphrase Bogey, I can tolerate a shill...what I can't stand is a cut rate one who awkwardly tries to hide the reality.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess thanks to a previous relationship with CTB, I have been contacted several times for my opinion. It has been as follows "Boddington, Dave Fulson, Aaron, Shockey and the list goes on, each are in this game to make money. As every AR poster is in their business . No problem. My company raises our money through the sale of sponsorships for our TV show. We try to be very transparent as to who our advertising partners are. Our five major sponsors have been with us for eight years, and each has been satisfied with the branding we do to the point that they have migrated to our new series as they evolved ( Dark And Dangerous, World Of Sports Afield)
This thread started because one TV personality accepted, with full knowledge if you read his facebook pages prior to them being deleted, help in raising public funds for his private, for profit business. THAT IS THE ISSUE that started this. My opinion is, as I have stated when asked, is that while I think it is one of the worst thought out, ill conceived, and foolish PR blunders I have yet to see in my many years in this business, it is not illegal as far as I know. But why not stand by it? If it was good enough to run out there in the first place, why not stick to your guns, public opinion be damned and seek public funding? There are things deserving of public funding such as the generous AR response to the financial realities caused when our PH friends were injured and killed last season. Hats off to everyone that stood up for that! But to create a website ??? I can assure you that I want to make a decent living in an industry I love, but I promise you I will not be asking you guys to fund it for me. If you buy a sponsor product after researching it, and make a sponsor happy with our outfit, GREAT. But that is about as far as it goes. If you trot it out there...OWN IT, is my feeling.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I am not naive but actually a natural skeptic. However, it's clear that your reading comprehension needs some work. I don't believe I ever said that people could not maintain objectivity in spite of being paid. I was however, being critical of the "it's no one's business" line when in actuality it IS my business...whether it's a hosts friends, family, or monetary arrangements in question. If I am to take a writer or TV host seriously enough to act upon their recommendation, they really should be straight up about what is pretty obvious to most people. Otherwise, there is really no option but to assume that the individual is not only being paid...but taking measures to hide it and appear "squeaky clean" when saying what a great hunt they had. Is to act in such a way really exhibiting "honesty and integrity"? Frankly, to paraphrase Bogey, I can tolerate a shill...what I can't stand is a cut rate one who awkwardly tries to hide the reality.

When you hire a plumber do make him disclose what suppliers offer him a discount or buy him a drink at Christmas. When you need a mechanic do you care if he got a deal on his car or if a parts supplier took him fishing. I mean seriously, writing and television are jobs like any other...assume people get paid, make deals, etc.....they need to pay their mortgages. Be smart enough to figure out which ones do it with integrity and which ones don't.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
Aaron Neilson, thank you you put into word what i would have like to. it's no ones business but Craigs.

Then why did he feel compelled to share his business with the hundreds of millions of people that frequent the internet if it was just his business and no one else's?

Mike

Posts: 21697 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:

Then why did he feel compelled to share his business with the hundreds Kenzie, your mom is n the Emergency Room. Her incision opened up while we were at dinner. She is trying to reach you but doesn't want to ruin your prom. Please call. She's ok I am with her of millions of people that frequent the internet if it wasjust his business and no one else's?

Exactly.

I one read a quote that went something like the following.

There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see.

Seems on point here.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where's Craig?

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
When you hire a plumber do make him disclose what suppliers offer him a discount or buy him a drink at Christmas. When you need a mechanic do you care if he got a deal on his car or if a parts supplier took him fishing. I mean seriously, writing and television are jobs like any other...assume people get paid, make deals, etc.....they need to pay their mortgages. Be smart enough to figure out which ones do it with integrity and which ones don't.

No, but then I don't pay my plumber $50,000 to unclog a drain either.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where's Craig?

Rightfully staying away...

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

No, but then I don't pay my plumber $50,000 to unclog a drain either.

And just what do you pay a writer or television personality directly for? As with all things, it's buyer beware. You said you aren't naïve but just naturally a sceptic.....and likely rightfully so. My point is that all people in all jobs have undisclosed relationships and it's important to know who has integrity and who doesn't and not paint the entire industry with one brush. Some just work hard with companies they choose to and are proud to work with and they have no trouble looking in the mirror or sleeping at night...others, possibly not. Pretty much the same with the plumber and mechanic. But at the end of the day, the details of any business relationship are really none of yours or my business as long as I know it's business is all that really matters. Television and writing are a business.

One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity

What's the record for most pages on one topic?

And what's the longest a thread has actually stayed on topic?

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
+1.

It is at least POSSIBLE that CB has some company handling FB and his website on his behalf. Perhaps he doesn't know. I am betting be does.

Interestingly, I just saw someone else trying to raise money this way. It was a bunch of college kids trying to raise money for an APP.

I have to conclude one of the following. Either -
(A) CB is in trouble financially or
(B) CB has total morons handling his affairs on his behalf.

I pick A and B.

Also, who in their right mind has someone "handling Facebook" when it is all about you?

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:

Also, who in their right mind has someone "handling Facebook" when it is all about you?

I would say the ALOT of the "celebrities" does that.

Just skimming Shockeys FB and Im are certain he does not handle his FB page.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
Where's Craig?

Dave

Too bloody smart to comment on this in public, especially on the internet.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a wild guess on what happened.

Conrad had success on another project using idiegogo and got excited about other possibilities.
Coincidentally CB needed a new website.
Conrad thought it would be a good idea to use this indiegogo gig to raise some money and help his friend create his website.
CB (in a way) co-signed it when sharing the link on his Facebook page. I'm guessing somewhat reluctantly but what do you do when a friend is trying to help you out. Puts CB in a weird situation.
A day or two passes and CB realizes how bad of an idea this was and asks Conrad to stop the whole thing.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could be.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobby7321: Just a wild guess on what happened...Conrad had success on another project using idiegogo and got excited about other possibilities...
The other fund raiser he has running is "Invest in Kenyan Computer Shop"

http://www.indiegogo.com/proje...kenyan-computer-shop

This looks like a noble cause and admirable effort, but unfortunately it is only at $600 of the $6000 goal. This despite being referenced on Craig's Facebook.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
maybe success isn't the best word Smiler but you get what I mean

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
quote:
Originally posted by bobby7321: Just a wild guess on what happened...Conrad had success on another project using idiegogo and got excited about other possibilities...
The other fund raiser he has running is "Invest in Kenyan Computer Shop"

http://www.indiegogo.com/proje...kenyan-computer-shop

This looks like a noble cause and admirable effort, but unfortunately it is only at $600 of the $6000 goal. This despite being referenced on Craig's Facebook.

Just damn amazing.....

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gayne C. Young:
Just out of curiosity

Doesn't really answer your question, but.....

By my count, here are the topics in this one thread:

Craig Boddington financial status
CB's ethics regarding California Rigby
Crowdsource funding in general
Crowdsource funding for a 'personal' website
Relative worth of sweat stained articles of clothing of the rich and famous. And the not so rich and famous.
The ethics and necessity of disclosing conflicts of interest
Conrad Evarts ego
Conrad Evarts relation to CB
Aaron Nelson's ability to afford a lion hunt
Aaron Nelson's need to disclose conflicts of interest

Please feel free to add any I may have missed.

Big Grin

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:
Just out of curiosity

Relative worth of sweat stained articles of clothing of the rich and famous. And the not so rich and famous.
Conrad Evarts ego
Wendell's frequent use of the word Hater

Big Grin

Fixed! Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few thoughts on financial status. I have been fortunate to weather the tough economy over the past 6-7 years and have been lucky enough to actually grow a business and hire people.
I have also witnessed the other side where I see 50 year old men and women working at a fast food restaurant that come across far more qualified than what is required for their job. These folks apparently lost their jobs and rather than collect unemployment they got what job they could and swallowed their pride. Those folks are the real fabric of our nation.
Not easy getting a job when you are over 50.
I have no idea of CB's financial status or do I care but if he is in a short then he may be doing what is necessary to get by and besides I can guarantee you there are some worshipers on this website. Likely took the shirts off because they "SOLD OUT". (LOL) CB has been doing the same thing for +30 years and it is probably about all he knows. Cannot blame him one bit for following his dreams.
If I see him working at a McDonalds I will treat him like I would any other time, perhaps better.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:
Just out of curiosity

Conrad Evarts ego

Big Grin

What about the discussion concerning the definition and proper usages of the term "Douche Nozzle"???? Big Grin

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where's Craig?

What difference does it make? He has been tried and found guilty of high treason for simply trying to make a living.

Fascinating group of individuals on this site.

We really seem to believe that holding someone to a higher standard than we hold ourselves is the way life is supposed to work.

Each and every one of us have had to do what was necessary to get to where we are at today and I seriously doubt that any two of us have followed the exact same path to get to this point in time.

Maybe that is the problem and it seems to be a recurring theme. As a species modern humans are totally lacking in what could be considered "Heroes", so when someone like Mr. Boddington allows, for whatever reason, the fact that he is merely a human trying to get by as best he can, people feel betrayed.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of you good folks can call me as many nasty names as you would like if I could only have as many hunts under my belt as CB.Nobody has mentioned how jealous most of you sound. Hell--I would be glad to endorse any of you if only you'll pay for me a hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[Crazyhorseconsulting,
clap clap clap beer salute salute

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
Where's Craig?

What difference does it make? He has been tried and found guilty of high treason for simply trying to make a living.

We really seem to believe that holding someone to a higher standard than we hold ourselves is the way life is supposed to work.

Each and every one of us have had to do what was necessary to get to where we are at today and I seriously doubt that any two of us have followed the exact same path to get to this point in time.

Maybe that is the problem and it seems to be a recurring theme. As a species modern humans are totally lacking in what could be considered "Heroes", so when someone like Mr. Boddington allows, for whatever reason, the fact that he is merely a human trying to get by as best he can, people feel betrayed.

+1

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nopride2:
Where's Craig?

No kidding !
Why is he up in Alaska brown bear hunting with his wife? He should be holed up in his office explaining all of this and answering these questions. 
He sure as hell better not go on another Pakistani Markhor hunt before this is settled. 
And to think he might not even be paying full market rate for these hunts has just got me in a terrible fret.  Wink

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Epic first post by evarts. This clown has been around hunters for quite awhile it would appear and yet he was of the opinion that ANY hunter would be interested in some sweat-stained shirt as a form of idol worship? I'd offer that good judgement isn't this guy's forte.

Merle said it best....

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
Where's Craig?

Do you blame him? AR scared him away once, why would he come back now?

For what it's worth, I don't blame him for leaving. Nobody likes being heckled by the drunk guy in the back row. Which, is essentially what happened to him.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
Where's Craig?

Do you blame him? AR scared him away once, why would he come back now?

For what it's worth, I don't blame him for leaving. Nobody likes being heckled by the drunk guy in the back row. Which, is essentially what happened to him.

Not strictly true Wendell.

He came over with guns blazing, basically telling us that we are a bunch of stone age old ladies.

And he wanted to bring us back to 2013.

He was soon brought back to reality.

Our sort of reality, not his.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craig, did this?

Of course one must remember reality on AR is not reality in the real world only that (world) of the few that geather here to pontificate.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I certainly hope that CB is not in a desperate financial situation . If he his , it WAS no ones business until money was publicly solicited on his behalf. That opened the door to public discussion . Either CB or his representative did this. If they don't like it, don't make public pleas for money.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

I was talking about Craig, not our eloquent creative writing buddy Evarts. Smiler

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
I certainly hope that CB is not in a desperate financial situation . If he his , it WAS no ones business until money was publicly solicited on his behalf. That opened the door to public discussion . Either CB or his representative did this. If they don't like it, don't make public pleas for money.

It's actually not unusual for sites, especially large ones to offer people the opportunity to donate to them and even Wikipedia do it...... As I see it, that's nothing more than a business decision. Some site owners ask and some don't and some visitors are happy to make a donation and some/most are not.

As for sweaty shirts, I certainly wouldn't want one but I think I've seen several famous sportsmen offering such things and I guess if someone is silly enough to want one and be willing to pay for it then perhaps why not?

One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
Where's Craig?

+1

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Where is Craig???

According to Craig's FaceBooks posts, he and his wife are in Alaska on a double bear hunt. I wonder how far putting those hunts on hold would have gone toward funding that $9,000 website?

Tell me again why I was supposed to contribute to his "internet storefront" so that he could sell me other things? Oh yea, I was going to get a dirty T-Shirt, a picture of Craig in a "Classic Grip and Grin" pose with a recently deceased trophy animal, and the holy grail of having my picture posted on his "wall".

Where's my checkbook! 2020

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
LOL...a guy is trying to sell something you aren't interested in buying...who really cares....just don't buy it and move on. Some people may be interested in buying and the seller makes some money.....that capitalism at its finest. There is stuff all over the internet you likely aren't interested in.....life is like that. I'm sure CB is laughing all the way to Alaska regarding all the attention that is being showered on him here. At the end of the day his product is himself and you are all lapping it up. It astounds me why anyone really cares what he is selling. People's fascination with celebrities borders on the absurd sometimes.