Find
Notify
Tools

Karl Stumpfe - Complaint to NAPHA
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Why are we arguing who gets what permits? Has Karl denied it was his reponsibility to obtain the Botswana permit? Who gives a shit what everyone has done in RSA and Hosea Kutako International Airport? Each country is different and the Kasane and the Ngoma bridge border crossing are not RSA and Hosea Kutako International Airport. I've obtained my own permit in RSA and Namibia and had outfitters handle it in other countries (Zambia for example). The only time I was to transit Bostswana with my firearm in order to hunt the Caprivi, my outfitter asked me ahead of time for my firearm information so he could arrange for the permit without my asking. Therefore, I don't think it is that unusual for outfitters to obtain Botswana permits for their clients. Ironically, I chose to forego the hastle and use my outfitter's rifle.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
I started reading but realized this was going nowhere so jump to the end to add my small piece. Regardless of wrong right or indifferent - africa is a place of challange and if something is going to go wrong chances are it will - but that is what attracts thousands of hunters to africa each year.
Never go to africa with bad paper work this will lead to hours lost in delays if not days - its a rubber stamp continent, but do go with a great attitude and I ask you to read bcoylers hunt report - his ammo never showed up and he made a plan with huge positive attitude added , still things went wrong but he adjusted again and had a great safari - but it was only great because he was determined to have a great safari, it was his safari and no matter what, he was going to have a great time - he lives by this code and guess what - he has a great life as well , regardless of what it throws at him. Our job is to try make africa work for the hunter but the single most important ingredient for a successfull safari to africa is the attitude of the hunter.

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
africa is a place of challange and if something is going to go wrong chances are it will - but that is what attracts thousands of hunters to africa each year.

Damn, could've fooled me. I always thought it was the game. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
Dave I hunted with Karl couple years ago

Namibia for a PH Namibia is a much less profitable and more ridged environment than most of the adjacent states the margins are thin for a PH

the fees they pay [not keep] are to a large part no refundable
when I took my hunt with Karl lots of things changed before I got there and a bit when I arrived my flight to vic falls stalled at maun Botswana and I was a day late getting in Big K holed up in a bar in vic and waited me out almost chartered a 210 to camp but namib air finally loaded us up and delivered us 29 hrs late Karl was right there loaded me up cleared my rifle into zim Botswana and then Namibia

we got to camp a day late and a dollar short in the dark of night

next day we also had a adjustment to make with the local conservation people --concerning my hunting tag-- to sort out that's just Namibia I was right there watched it happen and it did minor paperwork needed to be sorted out on the local level can't do that by email out there

were to fly camp in the national park

now we stayed at his well appointed tent camp and drove in to the hunting area each day
I was really looking forward to the fly camp looking back glad we did not do that that way

well we hunted for 4 5 days I got a 44+55 lb so right at 100lb total elephant

I -quite walked out- and plenty excited- shot it to for forward and high should have never tried that head shot from 40+ yards

k cleaned that up and quick

just what doctor orders when you are hunting elephant some of us are quite soft hunters when push comes to shove

had 20 plus bush trackers find that thing for me

we had tracked in about 3-4 miles to the kill site I had just had 2 hip replacements and a new knee put in should have not really gone just then but I did

and I did not tell him all this relevant medical stuff- as I feared he would not take me- and yet he preformed but I bet that pissed him off I never saw him blink on that not once

we got the el and I went home he handled the ivory and all details exactly as spoken no contract all ended as per spoken agreement

now here is the real issue another PH not for me to name took a guy out and stayed in Karls camp for free and "to quote I doc took him for a walk" Karl paid all that camp cost for his PH friend lots of promises were made and not kept

and I saw Karl mop it all up and offer the guy a hunt on K's dime a year later

that's quite something

have been in Africa hunting a bit first time I seen that

Karl is not getting rich its a labor of love this hunting elephants and he is as good at it as one can get has given up a lot for the privilege and may not be able to pay the cash to
you that he spent non refundable with Namibia game people I get your point one in a life time hunt want to be sure but we need to understand the issues and the forces in play

and work to gather as a hunting community

wish I had noticed this post sooner

we all need to report the good with the bad

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
horse
Try and learn to roll with it. You will be a lot happier! Those around you will be a lot happier! In the end the majority of the time it all works out. Now if something is really wrong like they confiscate your trophies, you have a valid complaint and should speak up. Too many people sweat the small stuff. It is Africa not Europe, the US or Australia. Relax
take a deep breath and try to sort out whatever it is. Just remember you are playing by their rules not yours.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just found this post and came to the following conclusions:
1. I am fairly sure that I would not want to hunt with Karl Stumpfe.
2. I am absolutely certain that I would never want to hunt with David Duffy.

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I spent the entire month of July in Namibia. During my stay I learned quite a bit about Mr. Stumpfe. Most of it not very flattering. There are several outfitters/PH's claiming he owes them money for hunts already conducted. I wonder if he would care to clarify on these alegations. I have known Karl for a few years and thought he was an honorable guy. I hope I didn't misjudge him.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1262 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brain, I also have heard "horror" stories about Stumpfe while in Namibia. Also some unflattering stories from booking agents here in the states. These stories pre-date Tim Heralds fiasco, BTW.

Maybe just bad rumors, but at this point there is enough smoke for me to suspect a fire...

Namibia is a great country with a lot of great PHs...no need to book with a suspect one.

"I spent the entire month of July in Namibia. During my stay I learned quite a bit about Mr. Stumpfe. Most of it not very flattering. There are several outfitters/PH's claiming he owes them money for hunts already conducted. I wonder if he would care to clarify on these alegations. I have known Karl for a few years and thought he was an honorable guy. I hope I didn't misjudge him."

Posts: 552 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stradling:
Dave I hunted with Karl couple years ago

Namibia for a PH Namibia is a much less profitable and more ridged environment than most of the adjacent states the margins are thin for a PH

the fees they pay [not keep] are to a large part no refundable
when I took my hunt with Karl lots of things changed before I got there and a bit when I arrived my flight to vic falls stalled at maun Botswana and I was a day late getting in Big K holed up in a bar in vic and waited me out almost chartered a 210 to camp but namib air finally loaded us up and delivered us 29 hrs late Karl was right there loaded me up cleared my rifle into zim Botswana and then Namibia

we got to camp a day late and a dollar short in the dark of night

next day we also had a adjustment to make with the local conservation people --concerning my hunting tag-- to sort out that's just Namibia I was right there watched it happen and it did minor paperwork needed to be sorted out on the local level can't do that by email out there

were to fly camp in the national park

now we stayed at his well appointed tent camp and drove in to the hunting area each day
I was really looking forward to the fly camp looking back glad we did not do that that way

well we hunted for 4 5 days I got a 44+55 lb so right at 100lb total elephant

I -quite walked out- and plenty excited- shot it to for forward and high should have never tried that head shot from 40+ yards

k cleaned that up and quick

just what doctor orders when you are hunting elephant some of us are quite soft hunters when push comes to shove

had 20 plus bush trackers find that thing for me

we had tracked in about 3-4 miles to the kill site I had just had 2 hip replacements and a new knee put in should have not really gone just then but I did

and I did not tell him all this relevant medical stuff- as I feared he would not take me- and yet he preformed but I bet that pissed him off I never saw him blink on that not once

we got the el and I went home he handled the ivory and all details exactly as spoken no contract all ended as per spoken agreement

now here is the real issue another PH not for me to name took a guy out and stayed in Karls camp for free and "to quote I doc took him for a walk" Karl paid all that camp cost for his PH friend lots of promises were made and not kept

and I saw Karl mop it all up and offer the guy a hunt on K's dime a year later

that's quite something

have been in Africa hunting a bit first time I seen that

Karl is not getting rich its a labor of love this hunting elephants and he is as good at it as one can get has given up a lot for the privilege and may not be able to pay the cash to
you that he spent non refundable with Namibia game people I get your point one in a life time hunt want to be sure but we need to understand the issues and the forces in play

and work to gather as a hunting community

wish I had noticed this post sooner

we all need to report the good with the bad

Is this poor writing a deliberate effort? This is impossible to follow.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
When I first saw stradling's post I thought he might have written it while he wasn't exactly sober - may be after some celebration!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Stradling also misspelled his location wrong. I believe his Nevada location is spelled Minden. Roll Eyes

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe he doesn't even live in Nevada?? Confused

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think English is Stradling's first language.

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a word is misspelled wrong, is it spelled correctly?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunt4:
If a word is misspelled wrong, is it spelled correctly?

Yes.......,

Hunting is not a matter of life or death....It's much more important

Posts: 338 | Location: Abbotsford BC | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Damn! eight pages? Man you guys are really on to Karl! ...............The fact is "TIA" (That Is Africa) Murphy just got in the mix! Shit happens!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac, I'm with you on that. I'm sure many contributors to this post don't know anything about hunting in Africa, have never been to Africa, and will never go to Africa. Karl is a great PH and a great friend, so if you don't know him, just STFU.

Posts: 20160 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't believe this is still going on, just put a fork in Karl he is done.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Mac, I'm with you on that. I'm sure many contributors to this post don't know anything about hunting in Africa, have never been to Africa, and will never go to Africa. Karl is a great PH and a great friend, so if you don't know him, just STFU.

What is the point of having a discussion forum if people are supposed to STFU?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs, ol friend opinions will differ but can remain friends.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frankly, I'd have gone anyway.

Now, I realize that may be a leap of faith, but consider this: Right now, there are probably several dozen hunters from all over different parts of the world either just arriving in Zimbabwe, or on their way there, who were originally supposed to hunt in the Save Conservancy. When they left home, all they knew (or should have known) is that their Save dreams were abruptly killed -- but they went anyway without a clue where they were going to hunt.

Why do they risk it? Because they have faith that Southern African professional hunters in general, and Zimbabwean PHs in particular, are the best in the world at taking care of their clients. They will find them a place to hunt, and they will make every effort humanly possible to get them the licenses for the trophies they originally were to take in the Save.

They are also making the trip because time stands still for no one, and none of us know when, or if, we'll ever get back to the sights, sounds, smell, taste and sense of adventure that is Africa!

God, I wish the only obstacle standing in the way of my returning to Africa was the lack of a firearms permit! Leave the damn things at home and trust in the "camp rifle." Take yours and trust that you'll get a permit upon arrival. Do whatever it takes. But not go?

No way, no how, am I not going!

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GAHUNTER:

Now, I realize that may be a leap of faith, but consider this: Right now, there are probably several dozen hunters from all over different parts of the world either just arriving in Zimbabwe, or on their way there, who were originally supposed to hunt in the Save Conservancy. When they left home, all they knew (or should have known) is that their Save dreams were abruptly killed -- but they went anyway without a clue where they were going to hunt.

Why do they risk it? Because they have faith that Southern African professional hunters in general, and Zimbabwean PHs in particular, are the best in the world at taking care of their clients. They will find them a place to hunt, and they will make every effort humanly possible to get them the licenses for the trophies they originally were to take in the Save.

They are also making the trip because time stands still for no one, and none of us know when, or if, we'll ever get back to the sights, sounds, smell, taste and sense of adventure that is Africa!

God, I wish the only obstacle standing in the way of my returning to Africa was the lack of a firearms permit! Leave the damn things at home and trust in the "camp rifle." Take yours and trust that you'll get a permit upon arrival. Do whatever it takes. But not go?

No way, no how, am I not going!

tu2

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Amazing all the guys willing to post vague negative comments, using anonymous aliases.

Making comments like "I've heard some guys ..."

Really that is worthless, man up and name who is saying what, otherwise it is just worthless innuendo.

thumbdown

John Hahn

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the point of having a discussion forum if people are supposed to STFU?

Saeed, I'm not implying that folks aren't entitled to an opinion. But if someone is going to make a public comment about a PH's reputation without knowing the PH, the original poster, the true facts, and without knowledge of the vagaries of hunting Africa, I think they're irresponsible. "I once heard...", or "a friend of a friend told me..." are not facts that should be stated in a public forum unless corroborated beforehand.

Especially for a small operation, a PH's reputation is his greatest asset. Without the budget for advertising, shows, and sales agents, most of such a PH's bookings come from referrals and from his reputation in the marketplace. To post negative here-say in a public forum that could impact his career and success is irresponsible, IMHO.

Posts: 20160 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why do they risk it? ....

I am guessing losing their paid in full daily rate and more likely than not non refundable airfare has more to do with it than their 'unwavering faith' in their PH. LOL

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:

I am guessing losing their paid in full daily rate and more likely than not non refundable airfare has more to do with it than their 'unwavering faith' in their PH. LOL

All the more reason to have taken the "leap of faith" and gone anyway.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:

All the more reason to have taken the "leap of faith" and gone anyway.

If you buy travel insurance and go, then try and make a claim, the fact you went makes a recovery more difficult.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read no more than the first couple of pages because all the arguments just repeat.

The problem is that the vendor (Karl) needs to COMMUNICATE, COMMUNICATE, COMMUNICATE with the customer (Duffy). This means answering every query quickly and thoroughly.

I hunted with Gavin Rorke Safaris last year. Every Email was answered within a few hours. While Gavin was out in the bush, he communicated to Harare each evening via radio, and his wife, Debbie, answered my Emails promptly.

African hunters about to spend a small fortune are justifiably apprehensive about things. The safari company needs to be reassuring.

How the heck was Duffy supposed to know if Karl could handle any paperwork screwup? This whole thing could have been avoided if Karl had just answered Duffy's questions in a timely manner.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is the crux of the entire 8 pages. A lack of communication for whatever reason between the two parties. Nuff said.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given todays safari prices one can expect reasonable communication and also it is not too much demanded if the hunter insists on taking his rifle. If I understood it correctlyit was one of these tiring but common African efforts to save some incremental money in organizing licences. Frankly I have no sympathy that on expensive hunts corners are cut for a few dollars and a client has to wear the burden. I still have sympathy that the action against the PH is a bit overdoing it on the other hand it cannot be that posters have to shut up because there are some close ties to individual operators. I had my own ( yes, it might be an exception but I do not think so) bad experience with one of the AR's star operators so I guess some difference in opinins should be allowed.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote