Find
Notify
Tools

Karl Stumpfe - Complaint to NAPHA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyger,

I don't disagree. I will try to eliminate all potential problems before I ship out. But I wouldn't stay home because it wasn't 100% worked out when I left. They've got nearly 24 hours to sort things out while I'm on the way.

Plus, once I get there, I'm pretty good at working things out, even without help from the local PH/company, but I welcome their help believe me.

And my hunting rifles, while not cheap, are not H&H Royals or original Rigby's. They can be replaced.

At a minimum, it would make an interesting story. I'd go.

And if my rifles were confiscated, it would give me another point in my running discussion with my wife as to why I need multiple rifles of .40 calibre or over. She pretty much gets it as she's seen rifles go down shortly before a safari, but an outright confiscation would send that message home.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Karl Stumpfe?
Is this the PH who had a stainless Talon 460 Wby rifle on one of those African huntin' TV shows I saw?
After the Tim Herald fiasco, and more, it sounds like Karl is a slob.
Make that SLOB. thumbdown

quote:
Originally posted by 875x:
quote:
Originally posted by David Duffy:
This was to be my second hunting trip to Africa. On my first hunt I got a cape buffalo. As such, there would be people on this forum who have more experience or knowledge of Africa and are more qualified than me to make posts and answer questions about Africa than me. Please note than I am on a different time zone to many of you and as such, my responses may be delayed.

As far as Karl Stumpfe's claim of me having a "buddy" on this forum who was one of the first who responded, none of the respondents have I met or know or have dealt with in any way other than Karl Stumpfe.

I do not see this situation as one where I have cancelled the hunt. It is fundamental to a hunting trip that I be able to hunt. Preferably, with my own rifle. At all times prior to the flight, I was ready to go on my flight if the permit came through or I received confirmation that there would be a suitable rifle that I could use. Neither of these occurred. As far as the claim that my spyware was not allowing the permit to come through, I did receive the first permit with the incorrect dates on it when it was sent and I also received the second permit with the incorrect transit country on it well after my flight had departed.

I believe that there was far too great a risk trying to take a rifle through customs in Johannesburg and also Botswana without the correct documentation. A very likely outcome of doing this would be the confiscation of my rifle which with scope was worth $2000. I do not believe that all the reports of problems with rifles intransit of Johannesburg are fictitious.

There were two phone numbers for Karl Stumpfe that I had. In the months leading up to the hunt, I was never able to contact him on the first number. He confirmed verbally that the second phone number was best to contact him on. Ultimately in the days prior to my flight, there was no reply to either number.

I accept that in Africa things don't always run smoothly. I allowed for this, by requesting that the correct documentation be completed in March, April well before my scheduled flight in July. As far as "getting upset", there is a significant financial loss associated with this matter. At no time did Karl Stumpfe offer any kind of apology for his stuff-ups with the permit.

I think that it is important that hunters know about problems with hunts as well as when hunts are successful. That way they can make more informed decisions.

When i was going thru SA they left the number off the permit in one of the group the first word out of the offical was we are going to have to take you to jail. It was straightened out there is not doubt in my mind I would have did what you did. Its easy to run someone down of the forum its a different story when you are in a foreign country and the first word is jail. No way I woudl go without the right paper work and I hope the people reading this post dont follow the advice to go with out it.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone on AR booked on a hunting safari to Africa ever been locked up or had his firearms confiscated because of a discrepancy in documentation upon arrival at their destination?

Sure would make interesting reading.

Glitches occur, they most always do as customs officials will always try and find an excuse, if a non-existent one, to score a few bob for a beer.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Karl Stumpfe?
Is this the PH who had a stainless Talon 460 Wby rifle on one of those African huntin' TV shows I saw?

quote:
quote:
This was to be my second hunting trip to Africa. On my first hunt I got a cape buffalo. As such, there would be people on this forum who have more experience or knowledge of Africa and are more qualified than me to make posts and answer questions about Africa than me. Please note than I am on a different time zone to many of you and as such, my responses may be delayed.

As far as Karl Stumpfe's claim of me having a "buddy" on this forum who was one of the first who responded, none of the respondents have I met or know or have dealt with in any way other than Karl Stumpfe.

I do not see this situation as one where I have cancelled the hunt. It is fundamental to a hunting trip that I be able to hunt. Preferably, with my own rifle. At all times prior to the flight, I was ready to go on my flight if the permit came through or I received confirmation that there would be a suitable rifle that I could use. Neither of these occurred. As far as the claim that my spyware was not allowing the permit to come through, I did receive the first permit with the incorrect dates on it when it was sent and I also received the second permit with the incorrect transit country on it well after my flight had departed.

I believe that there was far too great a risk trying to take a rifle through customs in Johannesburg and also Botswana without the correct documentation. A very likely outcome of doing this would be the confiscation of my rifle which with scope was worth $2000. I do not believe that all the reports of problems with rifles intransit of Johannesburg are fictitious.

There were two phone numbers for Karl Stumpfe that I had. In the months leading up to the hunt, I was never able to contact him on the first number. He confirmed verbally that the second phone number was best to contact him on. Ultimately in the days prior to my flight, there was no reply to either number.

I accept that in Africa things don't always run smoothly. I allowed for this, by requesting that the correct documentation be completed in March, April well before my scheduled flight in July. As far as "getting upset", there is a significant financial loss associated with this matter. At no time did Karl Stumpfe offer any kind of apology for his stuff-ups with the permit.

I think that it is important that hunters know about problems with hunts as well as when hunts are successful. That way they can make more informed decisions.

When i was going thru SA they left the number off the permit in one of the group the first word out of the offical was we are going to have to take you to jail. It was straightened out there is not doubt in my mind I would have did what you did. Its easy to run someone down of the forum its a different story when you are in a foreign country and the first word is jail. No way I woudl go without the right paper work and I hope the people reading this post dont follow the advice to go with out it.

[ give up. what does a PH's or anyone else's rifle choice have to do with the subject at hand????

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
Has anyone on AR booked on a hunting safari to Africa ever been locked up or had his firearms confiscated because of a discrepancy in documentation upon arrival at their destination?

Sure would make interesting reading.

No, but I had a PH locked up for beating an AK toting Police with the dudes own belt. Roll Eyes

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even with all correct permits in hand, sometimes African officials find something wrong with them Wink and the professional has to "make a plan".

In fact, it isn't suprising if the issuing authority does errors on purpose knowing full well that their comrade will benefit from it. Cool

These things keep us under employment... Big Grin

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
At the very least, in light of the 2 negative reports, it looks like Mr. Stumpfe does not communicate with his clients very clearly. In light of the fact that this is how he makes his living. I think communication is a big thing in running the business.
I don't know how you trust everything to someone you have never met, who has failed on several times on solving a problem that may or may not be a major issue. I can see how there could be a problem and a lack of trust. Hopefully, they can work it out.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Karl Stumpfe?
[/QUOTE]

Just by the way RIP, no that was not me. But feel free to blame the state of your economy also on me! In fact, if you do not know how it works in Africa regarding fire arms getting in and out, or have flown that route specific yourself, or do not know me personally, you do not really have much to contribute now do you?

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hope both u guys can work this out amicably

Posts: 18 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 21 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I am not going to take sides.
Know nothing about either person.

The question is who is going to be the bugger man.

As I see it the hardest thing to do is get a result that both parties can accept.

1. Being australian I under stand why you would not travel with out the correct paper work. We would get locked up and an example made on the front page of the papers for being so silly.

2. Having hunted a little I know sh_t happens in africa and the out fitter should be able to work it out.

Both side think they are correct and now want each other blood.

This is bad for you both and bad for the industry.

I under stand it has both cost you money.

Karl you stand to loose more as every one remembers the thing that go wrong not the 100 that go correct.

Full price should be paid for the hunt.

Karl you should add some value that does not cost you any thing, like some cull animals or ?

As I said who is going to be the bigger man.
No one have lost a life or any thing like that so please sort it out.
There are bigger issues to worry about.

Same as every one else just my 2 cents worth.

Kind Regards Mark

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cameronaussie:

As I see it the hardest thing to do is get a result that both parties can accept.

1. Being australian I under stand why you would not travel with out the correct paper work. We would get locked up and an example made on the front page of the papers for being so silly.

2. Having hunted a little I know sh_t happens in africa and the out fitter should be able to work it out.

Karl you stand to loose more as every one remembers the thing that go wrong not the 100 that go correct.

Karl you should add some value that does not cost you any thing, like some cull animals or ?

Kind Regards Mark

Mark, so far Mr. Duffy has paid me 50% of the day fees. I have offered to him on the phone to come at a later date if that would suit him. He became hard balled and said that he will make sure I pay him his deposit back plus his flight ticket plus some other drummed up charges. Which I never will do, no matter what he said. I nbecame a bit hard balled after that, and told him that if he wants to still come, he needs to pay for the plane ticket again of the PH that has to be flown back to ?Windhoek. But Im afraid he is just out for revenge, he had no interest at all to settle this amicably.

So I really do not care what he says, or where he jumps in and trty and make my name bad, everyone with brain power should be able to see right through him.

Here's his last email to me for instance:

Karl,

Don’t demonstrate your lack of knowledge of contract law, by saying stupid things.

Seems like this is not the first time you have lied and ripped off one of your clients, see if this brings back memories:

So let me say, that my “leopard hunt” with Karl Stumpfe was unbelievably bad. Karl, broke our contracted agreement in numerous ways, and lied to me so many times, I can’t even count them all.

Your comment about my manners and attitude is just hollow talk, as you know. Try to do a better job of discrediting me.

Let me explain something Karl, I am a determined person who is not going to give up on this matter. If you think that I am going to stop, then you are wrong. For example, this evening I have 3 prominent people to copy my complaint to in the US. I will use my spare time to spread the word about you, methodically. In addition, I will do the internet posts. And of course, they won’t be the first bad reports about you on the internet, I’m sure readers will be able to link my posts to the previous very bad posts. I plan to expose you, for what you are, to the absolute maximum I can. And I will keep this up, way into the future.

One thing I am curious about, what was the name of the person you claim you sent to Kasane to meet me? Or was this another lie?
Also, what is the name of your packing company?

Note you have 4 days left.

Regards
David Duffy

Sent: Friday, 6 July 2012 5:26 AM
To: 'David Duffy'
Subject: RE:

Hi David

Good luck is all I have left to say to you David. You cancelled, thus you are responsible for any loss, read your contract. Please send me the remaining balance of my day fees to one of the accounts that you have. This is the last correspondence you will receive from me.

Your manners and attitude sucks, but then again, it takes all types to make the world what it is,

Regards
Karl

Anyone expecting me to be amicable towards such a person?

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Karl,

It is a tricky business bringing rifles into Africa and international clients have no knowledge of local law nor want to deal with problems arising to the export/transit of firearms. That is why we as professionals undertake these delicate tasks.

I read this as Mr Duffy abandoned (not cancelled) the hunt with you due to circumstances beyond his control.

Is it too much to ask to reserve the monies paid as a deposit and Mr Duffy can hunt with you at a later date? If he does not accept this then it is his indaba?

Cheers

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So it's my first or second African hunt. I've saved and scrimped to get the cash together.It's a lot of money and has been hard earned. I've booked months in advance with an outfitter I haven't hunted with before and spent time and effort preparing.I have a favorite weapon (rifle/bow) that I really want to use because (for me) it is part of the enjoyment of my hunt. I follow the rules and want no problems with customs/fiearms so I want everything sorted in advance. Everybody has heard the horror stories and nobody wants to have their possessions seized in a foreign (African) country or be detained. Why is this requirement so unreasonable?
I'm curious, would any of AR's US based members be keen to try this same arrangement (ie doc's and import permits not 100%) when travelling to Mexico for example? No? Why.......
Not everyone has the same threshold for the same type of risk.
I have no dog in the fight but as a hunter who may find themselves in Duffy's position, how would I react or feel? Stumpfe may have a cancellation clause but what if the cancellation is due to the negligence/inefficiency of the outfitter?
Duffy has every right to post his misgivings just like Stumpfe has every right to a rebuttal.
JCHB

Posts: 423 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Karl,

It is a tricky business bringing rifles into Africa and international clients have no knowledge of local law nor want to deal with problems arising to the export/transit of firearms. That is why we as professionals undertake these delicate tasks.

I read this as Mr Duffy abandoned (not cancelled) the hunt with you due to circumstances beyond his control.

Is it too much to ask to reserve the monies paid as a deposit and Mr Duffy can hunt with you at a later date? If he does not accept this then it is his indaba?

Cheers

Andrew that is what I suggested to him on the phone after I learned of the fact that he did not pitch at the airport. This is when he became unpleasant.

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Karl,

Cheers

X2
JCHB

Posts: 423 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LionHunter hit the nail on the head 90 days to get permits arranged is just plain wrong, it may be Africa but that is BS.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl,

At no time have you even bothered to offer an apology for your stuff-ups with the permit. Your only offer to me has been that I can come and hunt with you again provided I pay for the hunt again with all my costs and on top of that, extra costs to re-imburse you for the current hunt that you stuffed-up on with the permit. Don't you think that this was antagonistic and hardly conducive to settling this matter? After that, you refuse to speak to me again.

I really think that it is important that everyone in the hunting industry know the facts about what has happened on this hunt and other hunts. What I really wanted to avoid is some form of settlement whereby we would come to some agreement and I would have to be silent on what has happened. So I have made it quite clear that whether we settle or not, I would be informing other relevant people in the industry about what has happened on this hunt. I have done what I said I would do. You will note however, that I haven't made any false allegations about you, all I have done is state the facts. I don't believe any of the significant facts are in dispute. If they are, please advise what they are. Whilst it is important that I get reimbursed for losses caused through your mistakes, I also believe that if there is a problem within the industry, that it should be exposed so that it is rectified, rather than covering it up. I don't want others to go through similar problems as I have had on this "hunt".

Naturally, as anybody would expect, my responses to you have been "heated", as has been your reactions starting from when you asked me to phone you and you shouted that you were not paying me anything and you terminated the call abruptly. There were far too many things that went wrong with this hunt. There was the issue with the overseas draft, you waited too late to apply for the permit,you wrote the wrong dates with the permit, on the second permit (which was received after the plane took off) was the wrong country (Zimbabwe instead of South Africa). There were other problems as well, such as communication problems. With these problems so far, and the things that had transpired between us, what were the chances that more problems would be encountered if I were to agree on a replacement hunt? So clearly, I am not interested in any replacement hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now all we need is the Honorable Doug Chester to step in with an opinion....

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Karl,

At no time have you even bothered to offer an apology for your stuff-ups with the permit. Your only offer to me has been that I can come and hunt with you again provided I pay for the hunt again with all my costs and on top of that, extra costs to re-imburse you for the current hunt that you stuffed-up on with the permit. Don't you think that this was antagonistic and hardly conducive to settling this matter? After that, you refuse to speak to me again.

I really think that it is important that everyone in the hunting industry know the facts about what has happened on this hunt and other hunts. What I really wanted to avoid is some form of settlement whereby we would come to some agreement and I would have to be silent on what has happened. So I have made it quite clear that whether we settle or not, I would be informing other relevant people in the industry about what has happened on this hunt. I have done what I said I would do. You will note however, that I haven't made any false allegations about you, all I have done is state the facts. I don't believe any of the significant facts are in dispute. If they are, please advise what they are. Whilst it is important that I get reimbursed for losses caused through your mistakes, I also believe that if there is a problem within the industry, that it should be exposed so that it is rectified, rather than covering it up. I don't want others to go through similar problems as I have had on this "hunt".

Naturally, as anybody would expect, my responses to you have been "heated", as has been your reactions starting from when you asked me to phone you and you shouted that you were not paying me anything and you terminated the call abruptly. There were far too many things that went wrong with this hunt. There was the issue with the overseas draft, you waited too late to apply for the permit,you wrote the wrong dates with the permit, on the second permit (which was received after the plane took off) was the wrong country (Zimbabwe instead of South Africa). There were other problems as well, such as communication problems. With these problems so far, and the things that had transpired between us, what were the chances that more problems would be encountered if I were to agree on a replacement hunt? So clearly, I am not interested in any replacement hunt.

David,

While not taking sides, as a previous poster stated, you are not cut out for African Hunting.
Old saying "The Swiss make the watch, but Africa owns the time." There is a leap of faith required and an understanding that Africa is not like microwave western society. That as we say, is "part of the charm"...

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Thanks for not taking sides. I accept that there are cultural and other characteristics of Africa that make it different to the Western World. However what I don't accept is that hunters (or non-hunters) who contract with educated professionals in Africa have to suffer significant financial loss through mistakes that the educated professional has made. I also understand that with a small number of people, there is a bit of an ego thing about being cut out for African hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well after posts like this the faint at heart should never hunt in Africa. Remember Africa has limited, at best email service. I have been in many camps in many countries and the Internet in the bush is almost non existant.
Also you are not booking a vacation on a cruise ship or to Disneyland where you have hundreds of people in support.
The only thing I have ever ask the Outfitter to supply me with is an invitation letter with an address, to put on any visas or gun or travel permits. I have always went out and got my own permits.
I like many others have had great hunts with Karl in many of his camps. Can mistakes be made sure, but does this mean things are do or die? Let gentlemans actions prevail.
I get so sick and tired of character assassinations over a workable situation and when this guy has more than 10 fold positive reports.
Let level heads and fair opinion prevail.
All in all I have outfitters that did not meet all my expectations but I rolled with the punches and made the best of it. That being said I would vouch for Karl 1000%.
So my advise get into a civil conversation with Karl on the phone and make something work there is always a resolve.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also understand that with a small number of people, there is a bit of an ego thing about being cut out for African hunting.

Well put. I'm not taking sides either but from some of these posts you'd think they had been looking for Dr. Livingston. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lavaca:

My lovely wife of 30 years is of Irish descent, and "African time" is only slightly slower than "Irish time", so I've had a lot of practice.QUOTE]

I guess that's why in Africa they have "Now", "Just Now", and "Now Now"!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
Karl Stumpfe?

quote:
quote:

[ give up. what does a PH's or anyone else's rifle choice have to do with the subject at hand????

Nothing other than just trying to recall if I have seen TV footage of a SLOB.
I guess not.
Pretty shabby treatment of a client, nevertheless.
Us little guys need to steer clear of such treatment.
Thanks to Dave and Tim for sparing a few of us.
I have paid my own way to Botswana via Joburg from Atlanta.
I did have to grease some palms with tips going through Joburg, even though my papers were in perfect order.
Corruption is rampant in RSA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I beg to differ on some points:

1. The hunt never materialized so it is not known what the outcome of the botched permits would have been; rifle and hunting permits are issued by govt. offices, not the outfitter who just presents the details which, as Bwanamich quite correctly stated are often conveniently "misinterpreted" by the issuing officer but which nevertheless get circumvented on D-day.

2. Neither will the outcome of the hunt ever be known because the client had set his mind into "stubborn" mode and abandoned ship;

3. Cancelled or abandoned at the 11th hour is tantamount to no show by the client and beyond the outfitter's control - the final decision was made by the client;

4. In any such contract between the parties the cancellation policy is normally set at 6 months prior to the starting date - a last minute decision to abort the hunt squarely dumps the responsibility on the client's shoulders;

5. To be able to have one's own rifle and meticulously reloaded ammo on a hunt is obviously the client's utmost desire and there is no one who will deny him this pleasure except for when either the rifle or the ammo goes in opposite direction, to reappear a few days later, after the hunt or never to be seen again - when this happens I guess the hunter gets on the next flight home?

Most every camp will have spare rifles and if they don't they can be made to appear quite miraculously, most times free, at other times for a minor daily charge (ammo extra).

I honestly do not believe it would have been any different at Karl's camp.

Last but not least, Karl seems to have garnered quite a collection of glowing reports from what could be considered the vast majority of his clients, but as in every basket, out pops a rotten egg.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cameronaussie:

Thus far, that would be Karl Stumpfe.

Thus far, none has emerged.

Kind Regards Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When the client cannot use his rifle on a DG hunt because the airline scews up that one thing and is not the operators fault. If it is because the operator screws up I will go with the client. I want my rifles & my ammo when hunt anything let alone DG. Having been an LE Officers for over three decades I know that in life & death situations a firearm MUST work and that one must be familiar with it and train with it to be proficiant and to minimize risk and have the motor skills to use it most efficiantly. Anyone using another weapon that they are unfamiliar with is increasing risk. I think that safari operators should remember this and do all that is possible to insure that the client gets to use hi/her weapon of choice, it can be a matter of life and death in a some situations. For the record, I have heard many good things about Carl and I hope this does not negatively effect his reutation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayman216:
I want my rifles & my ammo when hunt anything let alone DG. Having been an LE Officers for over three decades I know that in life & death situations a firearm MUST work and that one must be familiar with it and train with it to be proficiant and to minimize risk and have the motor skills to use it most efficiantly. Anyone using another weapon that they are unfamiliar with is increasing risk.

Agreed - although I think it's also perfectly reasonable to make the conscious decsion to used a camp based rifle.

Some on this site universally state things like (1) an o/u double rifle is unsuitable for DG; (2) a double rifle using a rimless cartridge is unsuitable for DG; (3) a magnified scope is unsuitable for a DG follow-up; and the list goes on and on (I'm not making any judgments on any of these things). Might it be a bit hypocritical to now say it's unreasonable for a guy who outfitted his own rifle, worked up his own loads, and trained with his own rifle, to expect (or demand) to be able to use it when he goes on a DG safari?

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elk88101:
Remember Africa has limited, at best email service.

True, but I always find the reports I have read here a bit humorous in that PHs can't seem to call from the bush BUT the trackers can't seem to stop talking on their phones while in the hunting car.
Wink

And as was mentioned before, it is MUCH harder to post something negative here than the typical 'it was great" etc etc.

Sadly, I don't see a happy outcome in this situation at all.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stuff does indeed go wrong in Africa, but gun permits shouldn't be one of them. This is one thing a good agent can take of. But as Fujo points out, what if your guns don't make it? Better have a back up plan.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With 69 posters on this thread and Lord knows how many lawyers have been following the discussion, I'll be damned if one of them has surfaced and voiced an opinion (potential business proposition has to be protected) Big Grin

Back to Duffy:

A refund claim, "it is important that I get reimbursed for losses caused", has been thrown at Karl.

What did the client have to lose had he pressed on with the programme?

It could have ended up as a stunning success or failure.

In all likelihood, given the countless favorable reports to his credit, the hunt would likely have turned out for the better and instead of the bitch that has been thrown, there would have been another positive report to add to the list.

Had it gone down river, the client would indeed have had all the ammunition to blow Karl to kingdom come what with full compensation for a screwed up hunt, a brand spanking new rifle for the one that got confiscated and a lawsuit for the inconvenience and 15 days of his life which had been unnecessarily washed down the drain.

Don't worry about a jail sentence - never heard of one single client even seeing a jail from the outside (not for incomplete paperwork, that's for sure).

Duckear:

"I always find the reports I have read here a bit humorous in that PHs can't seem to call from the bush"

They can and they do but only when they have time - if the posters to those report were to put themselves in the PH's shoes: out at the crack of a sparrow's fart and back in the dead of night; sort out whatever problems may have arisen during his absence; sort out the binding brakes or broken u-bolt, etc. - take a shower, entertain the client over a late drink before dinner - after dinner go check the brakes and other shit has been sorted out;.......get on the internet?.......don't bother going to bed as it will only be for an hour or so before that sparrow shows up.... Big Grin

On the other hand, the client can sit by the fireside sipping gin and bitters on his own, talk to himself until he realizes the waiter is giving him odd looks - goes to a quiet, lonely dinner for one (which won't take too long as he's got nobody to talk to) then hit the sack early as the PH is too busy catching up with office work on the internet.

Which of the 2 would fit the bill?

Your closing sentence regrettably is pointing the right way only because one person is rather obstinate in his line of thought.

AnotherAZWriter: You would be surprised how many permits have been screwed up by either the client who has sent the wrong number (usually one or two digits differ - attributable to poor eyesight or faded benchmarks) or the issuing office and taken for granted by Mr. Runabout who is charged with the handling of the paperwork.
When the error is noticed by the hawk eyed Customs officer (always is) the matter is but always resolved in the most "amicable" manner. Wink

That's how it is in this part of the Dark Continent and I'm pretty sure the neighbors can't differ by much.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
fujotupo,

That all makes sense to us but not to Mr Duffy whose only request was the smooth and efficient transfer of his firearms.

I would not travel with my matched pair of Purdeys under these circumstances.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fujotupu, you make it sound like ther is no staff and the poor PH has to do everything, no appies in camp no staff to handle mechcnical problems, no cook to prepare meal, no wait staff for dinner or drinks all has to be done by the PH and of course there is always the cell phone going ding a ling during the stalk. Frowner Just saying, eh.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the end of the day, just how hard is it to get gun permits correct?

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
At the end of the day, just how hard is it to get gun permits correct?

Bazinga! This whole deal went south because of the permitting screwups.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes exceedingly! Though it is no fault of the client or the outfitter. You either get someone who does not know what they are doing or is looking for a bribe or both. That said learn to roll with it. If you have to use a borrowed gun so be it. It is not the ideal situation but in the end should be fine. I am certainly not going to walk away from a hunt because of it. There is too much finger pointing and blame game. Neither side is right and neither is wrong. There is truth in parts of all of it. I understand disappointment and now anger as tempers flare but to what good? Better to work together towards a solution even if it isn't exactly what either party wants. It is called compromise and negotiation. Would it not be best to put egos aside and talk? That also means really listening to the other parties view. Both of you need to put yourselves in the other persons position. Try mentally switching roles then go back and talk again. hope this helps.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I was in Tanzania in 2006, with about 4 other hunters in camp, whos guns didn't arrive. There were NO camp guns for the other hunters to use, so my buddy and I offered them our second rifles until theirs arrived 2 days later. I don't know about you guys but I wouldn't want to go on a future hunt after having to cancel my safari and having verbal altercations with the PH.It seems it would make for a very uncomfortable hunt.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
fujotupo,

My comment on communication was partly in jest, but the flipping between deepest, darkest Africa vs a four bar cell signal in the land cruiser depending on which extreme works at the time does seem a bit disingenuous at times, wouldn't you agree?

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although I wanted to take and use my own gun, I was prepared to use a borrowed gun as a back-up plan. I asked for confirmation that there would be a suitable borrowed gun, yet I didn't get any confirmation. Karl at no stage mentioned or offered the option of a borrowed gun and on his website, I couldn't find any mention of using a borrowed gun. Details of who would actually be my PH and where we would have the camp in the Caprivi/Kavango area were vague at best. In smaller camps if there is no PH present until the client arrives (Karl said that he flew a PH up from Windhoek to meet me), it is at least questionable whether there would actually be a spare suitable rifle for my exclusive use. Nevertheless, if there was a suitable rifle for my use, I was prepared to go, so long as this was confirmed.

My hunt was to start the day after my arrival. Perhaps I could have wasted a day or more of a 7 day hunt, waiting for a borrowed rifle to arrive in camp, and have a hunt which doesn't allow me to hunt the three species that was agreed upon, or rush each of the species. Suppose with the borrowed rifle which may have a 4 3/4 pound trigger pull and no scope, I wound the kudu instead of making a clean kill on the 4 or 5 day hunt which was supposed to be 7 days. We can't find the kudu and I'm up for the trophy fee. Maybe we then hunt the hyena. Its dark and a suitable hyena has come to the bait. However, I can't see him clearly because of either the iron sights or the quality of the scope doesn't allow enough light to allow a well placed shot. So I don't take the shot, and we see no more hyenas on the hunt. In view of the reduced time span for the hunt, we make the decision to continue to hunt for hyena and to forego the warthog.

At night, we sit around the campfire, and it is pleasant enjoying the company of other hunters (if they are in camp) and at the same time, I keep telling myself not to be totally "pissed-off" because the PH's negligence with stuffing up the permits has set a chain of events which ultimately cause a stuffed-up hunt. At the end of the hunt, I've payed full price for the reduced hunt, shot and wounded a kudu and paid for it, been unsuccessful not through having a hard hunt and being unsuccessful, but ultimately through original stuff-ups by the PH with the rifle permit. Sure, I should have gone anyway! Ultimately, how much am I supposed to risk and compromise for stuff-ups made by the PH?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow
Look what's has happened here we have people that have no idea who Karl is or have hunted with him or even talked or met him personally calling and naming him unscrupulous , a liar, a thief a slob And all other vicious slanders characterization.
And guess what?? They got these opinions from a person they also have never met or ever talked with or come push to shove would give a shit about.
How ridiculous!
Why don't all the nay Sayers if you believe to the morrow of your bones this guy is so terrible please come to the convention in Dallas and tell Karl to his face all these accusations, I am glad he would like to see if you actual have the moxie to discuss your displeasure with him face to face.
I will be there to take notes.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote