Tools

Karl Stumpfe - Complaint to NAPHA
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karl S:
For those of you who are concerned with what happened concerning me and Mr. Duffy, please be advised of the following:
First, I do not personally acquire the Botswana transient permits for my clients. I live and work in the Caprivi of Namibia. I employ an individual in Botswana who provides that service using scanned information that the client provides. The service costs me a bit more than $100 for each permit if done individually (to include courier service, etc. It is much more efficient and cost effective if a batch of permits are presented at the same time. That was the case with Mr. Duffy’s permit.
When the date was found to be improper by Mr. Duffy, a correction was promptly sent back to Botswana to remedy the same. Simultaneously, Mr. Duffy was informed that the correction was being made and what information was being changed. Unfortunately, Mr. Duffy did not notify me that both the original permit and the proposed corrections listed Zimbabwe as an en route stop from Australia.
When the second permit (albeit with the Zimbabwe stop listed) was completed, I sent, by cell phone, a copy of that permit. My laptop often will not have service in the bush. Perhaps that is why (the cell phone origin) his computer rejected my sending it to him. In any event, it was sent two days before Mr. Duffy decided to not travel. Still, I never heard from him until the day he was supposed to arrive. Why he never called or did not receive the document sent by cell phone to his email address, I don’t know, but it was returned to me as “pending” (a copy of which I have still on my phone showing that the address, etc. was proper and showing the time that it was sent).
As to all the suggestions that we come to some form of agreement, I have verbally offered to Mr. Duffy to come at a later stage, at which point he became abusive. (My wife was witness to this conversation, and commented afterwards that she was impressed on how calm I stayed, I never slammed down the phone as it was suggested, and I just ended the call with “Good luck on that, Mr. Duffy.”
Now I believe I am a reasonable man, (obviously not a sentiment all of you share, but then again, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion), but if someone becomes abusive, all negotiations are off.
In his first email to me after HE decided not to come, (which, interestingly enough, he was easily able to reach me, Mr. Duffy had this to say: “If you ignore this email, as you have ignored other emails, then I will instigate the above measures.” I’m not sure what emails to which he refers, but I don’t have them???
Then later on, after I told him that I will not be blackmailed, he changed his tune and said: “. As previously stated, these letters have and will go out irrespective of whether you re-imburse me the $4795.”
So far, NOT doing Mr. Duffy’s hunt, has cost me:
1x PH for 7 hunting days and 2 travel days US$ 900
Camp staff for the period US$ 496.20
1x trip to Kasane to pick up a phantom client US$ 315
2x airplane tickets for PH to and from Katima Mulilo US$ 475.50
Total: US$ 2186.70
Now if I ignore the rest, like lost hunting days, spoilt food, the second gun permit that I paid for, (his first one was wrong and I paid for it anyways) and that I still need to pay 15% VAT (or US$ 277.20) on the deposit of only US$ 2125 that Mr. Duffy paid me, his decision not to come, has cost me US$ 2463.90, or $ 338.90 more than what he paid me so far. So, no, I am not interested to compensate him for his decision not to board that plane, particularly since Mr. Duffy wouldn’t even discuss some type of proration or even listen to what I had to say without threatening me with ruination.
While Mr. Duffy claims he had trouble contacting me by telephone and email (and cell phone and internet service in Africa is sometimes difficult), it is most interesting that he could reach me to make threats of ruining my reputation, etc. at his convenience.
So, yes, the permits weren’t perfect. Yes, I held on to multiple applications until all could be done at once. Yes, there was a mistake as to the date (and the Zimbabwe transit) on the original permit. When the “date” mistake was pointed out to me, it was corrected the best I could do from Namibia, using a service that has been 100% successful in the past. I did not ask to correct the “Zimbabwe” mistake because Mr. Duffy, himself, apparently, missed it too. All that said, if Mr. Duffy had asked, he would have been told that we had great “loaner” rifles to use, if he felt uncomfortable about the permits, but that I am 100% comfortable that we’d have no problem when he got to Botswana with his own guns, even with the wrong transit country and definitely without paying bribes.
I’m not perfect by any means. I do have a temper if threatened. I attempted to discuss a reasonable way that both of us could come to terms (and not limited to another hunt, btw), but Mr. Duffy was adamant, wouldn’t listen to what I had to say and threatened reprisals unless he had his way. His “absolute” way. I couldn’t even ask him if his cancelled airline ticket was partially refundable, if the “shots” (which he does not need BTW) would last through another safari season, if he had called my cell number or that of my wife or home or even if he wanted to discuss any alternate solution. It was his way or nothing. And finally, in his second email after my attempt at a civil discussion, he wanted me to pay him thousands of dollars and he still would try to ruin me. Still, I shouldn’t have gotten mad.
As an aside, I am a rifle nut. (Most people on this site that knows me, knows this.) I never received a single bit of correspondence or phone call about alternate “camp” rifles. Here’s what I had available for Mr. Duffy: 3 suitable rifles in camp, an 8x68 with a 2.5-10x42 Swarovski scope on, a 9,3x64 with a 1.25-4x24 Swarovski scope on, and a .375 H&H with a 2-7x33 Leopold scope. (That’s besides the heavier guns I had in camp, as remember, he was after plains game only.)

I think these rifles would be more than adequate and Mr. Duffy would have also so thought if he had just called at the contact points I had given him, and, at the same time, I could have informed him of what was going on with the permits in Botswana and how we’d make a plan if there were any bumps in the road, so to speak. The fellow who was to pick Mr. Duffy up in Botswana deals with permits every trip there to pick up a client. He, and I, know the officials and seem them several times each season. If Mr. Duffy had called me, we’d have done just fine.
Again, I have no idea why Mr. Duffy did not call me ON MY NUMBER, when he began to get anxious. We’d have worked it out. Likewise, after he decided not to come to Africa (and use the fine rifles and scopes I had available for him if he’d asked), when I talked to him about his cancellation, it became all my fault for my not being perfect, clairvoyant and ready to pay him for expenses that might well have been recoverable by him (i.e., alternate use of tickets, the expiry of the inoculations, etc.)
Yes, my reputation is somewhat besmirched by Mr. Duffy’s postings, but I’ll continue to offer damn good safaris at reasonable prices to those who want to come to Namibia and hunt with me. And, if you do, if you have concerns, please call or email me at the numbers and addresses I’ll provide you when we discuss your safari. It will save a lot of angst and we’ll have a great time when you get here.

A reasonable response that should have been posted five days ago and saved four pages of forum space.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I damn sure wouldn't let minor paper work keep me from going. Sometimes you have to make a plan.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fvh40:
quote:
Also, one lesson that I've learned is to use one of the available services that take care of preparing your rifle permits

tu2

+1

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a mess and a classic example of mis-communications. It seems that many U.S. hunters would have just taken the risks and taken off; in my opinion with the permit foul-ups and with David being from a firearm-phobic bureaucratic country (my guess given the Aussie firearm permit requirements) he should have just left his rifles at home and gone on the hunt. Anyone that travels to hunt knows or should know that the airlines are far more likely to foul up your rifles arriving for the hunt than any African permitting mess (as many hunts as African PHs do they encounter this regularly) which is easily cleared up with a couple of $5 bills. However, if my government threatened me with the loss of my firearms over a paperwork screw-up I might have panicked as well.

Here is a list of lessons I picked up from these 6 pages of mud slinging:

1. U.S. citizens are extremely fortunate to have the 2nd Amendment and we better continue to work our asses off to protect it as it is and will continue to be under attack.

2. Communicate in person with your outfitter and PH if possible and try to get the key understandings in writing; my worst hunt ever was an outfitter bait and switch with a burned-out PH.

3. Make sure the disposition of deposits in case of a cancelled hunt is spelled out precisely. My view (admittedly without seeing any hunt contracts) is that Karl owes David nothing since he chose to make the last-minute cancellation which left Karl needing to use the deposit to avoid taking a bigger loss.

4. Do more and better homework ahead of time; there were some warning signs that Karl has many good hunt reports but also several conflicts have been posted on AR. It appeared that David didn't learn of these or wasn't an AR member until after the mess (is it correct that Mr. Duffy only registered in July of 2012?).

5. If you are hot under the collar or prone to angry outbursts, wait a while before making the call to cool off. Calling someone that you hope to get a refund from and making demands without both sides putting themselves in the other's shoes is a recipe for disaster!

I negotiate for a living and this thing had no hope for any amicable resolution! It all looks like an unfortunate and sadly, a completely avoidable mess with both sides pissed off and suffering similar losses!!!

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunt99:
Anyone that travels to hunt knows or should know that the airlines are far more likely to foul up your rifles arriving for the hunt than any African permitting mess (as many hunts as African PHs do they encounter this regularly) which is easily cleared up with a couple of $5 bills.

I've traveled to hunt a LOT, just not to Africa, though I am going next May. Because of my experiences with permits in other countries, it would never enter my mind that I could just go without the permits and work it out once I got there. Try that in the UK.

Spend your life wisely.

Posts: 49 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WoodsyAl:
quote:
Anyone that travels to hunt knows or should know that the airlines are far more likely to foul up your rifles arriving for the hunt than any African permitting mess (as many hunts as African PHs do they encounter this regularly) which is easily cleared up with a couple of $5 bills.

I've traveled to hunt a LOT, just not to Africa, though I am going next May. Because of my experiences with permits in other countries, it would never enter my mind that I could just go without the permits and work it out once I got there. Try that in the UK.

I've made 7 trips to Africa, 2 trips to Russia, and 1 trip to New Zealand to hunt. I have never had a firearm permit in my hands when leaving the US on any of these trips. I did have advance info sent to the outfitter who met us in Petropovlovsk the first time and Moscow the second time on the Russia trips. Even for Russia, I got my permits once arriving. Australia would be a different story however as would some of the other places.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There was no mis-communication! It is pretty apparent there was no communication at all. As far as the earlier statements about "bribes". Greasing the rails does not automatically mean paying a bribe. I remain friendly, offer to buy the guy a coffee and at times perhaps discuss the problem over lunch on my dime. It is more a point of approach and attitude not trying to hand someone a couple bills and expecting to get your way. That besides being illegal, is also insulting to honest people. It is as much about showing respect as anything else.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by WoodsyAl:
quote:

I've made 7 trips to Africa, 2 trips to Russia, and 1 trip to New Zealand to hunt. I have never had a firearm permit in my hands when leaving the US on any of these trips. I did have advance info sent to the outfitter who met us in Petropovlovsk the first time and Moscow the second time on the Russia trips. Even for Russia, I got my permits once arriving. Australia would be a different story however as would some of the other places.

Well, I'm happy for you. But as you say, some other places are different -- don't use that approach if you decide to hunt in the UK.

The only foreign country where I have ever hunted and did not need a permit in advance is Germany. There I simply needed a letter of invitation. When told that, I was so surprised that I called the German Consulate in the U. S. to confirm it. They had to do some checking, but reported that was indeed the case. Some very friendly people in German Customs took care of my permit when I arrived with the letter.

But if some country requires a permit, you can bet I won't leave home without it.

Spend your life wisely.

Posts: 49 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That would be the reason to come to a forum like this ahead of time. Knowledge is power and it sure helps to be able to lean on the experience of those who have gone before. I certainly did the first time I went. Thanks to AR there were no surprises.

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Lessons learned from this thread!

1. Clients must never post a negative report about an African PH, that is just not acceptable and everyone knows that clients that are not cut out for Africa are liars.

2. All persons desiring to go on an African hunt must be mentored for an unspecified length of time by at least 3 "Veteran" African hunters, and must learn to subscribe too and believe in the concept that firearms permits are not all that important and with just a little wheel greasing, everything will turn out perfect.

3. Persons prone to expecting things to be in some form of reasonable order should never attempt to hunt in Africa, everything over there is chaos and should be accepted as such.

4. The AR Kangaroo Court will be the final authority on such discussions, and judgements brought forth by this August body will be based on the application of #1 above.

It is clear to anyone actually following this thread and NOT letting their egos get in the way, that this situation is not going to be solved amicably. Both sides have locked into their position and that is not going to change.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No but it is Africa, one has to be a bit more flexible at times.

No don't have to be mentored but it sure pays to have some idea what to expect.

As to the kangaroo court, well it is going to do what ever it wants regardless. As far as posting a negative report? Again No. It is just in this case IMHO I think both sides made poor judgment calls. After making the poor decisions it then became a blame game and escalated to this mess. As far as I am concerned they are both wrong. FWIW. End of story I have wasted enough time on this thread. Time to move on.

Happiness is a warm gun

one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Lessons learned from this thread!

1. Clients must never post a negative report about an African PH, that is just not acceptable and everyone knows that clients that are not cut out for Africa are liars.

2. All persons desiring to go on an African hunt must be mentored for an unspecified length of time by at least 3 "Veteran" African hunters, and must learn to subscribe too and believe in the concept that firearms permits are not all that important and with just a little wheel greasing, everything will turn out perfect.

3. Persons prone to expecting things to be in some form of reasonable order should never attempt to hunt in Africa, everything over there is chaos and should be accepted as such.

4. The AR Kangaroo Court will be the final authority on such discussions, and judgements brought forth by this August body will be based on the application of #1 above.

It is clear to anyone actually following this thread and NOT letting their egos get in the way, that this situation is not going to be solved amicably. Both sides have locked into their position and that is not going to change.

Exactly. And just think, had it been for just an elemetry amount of orginization and communication, none of us would have learned these 4 valuable points.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I sent, by cell phone, a copy of that permit. .. I don’t know, but it was returned to me as “pending” ....

Prove it. That's B.S. Nothing gets returned as pending; what gets returned is a cannot deliver message; but since you have his e-mail, this would have gone through.

Besides, what a joke! Only two days before his departure?! That's cutting it too close- how about I send you a deposit only two days before departure to see if you like that!? Sheesh! That's unprofessional.

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Duffy:
Antlers,

Now I'm sure you are not an elitist, being from the Double Rifle Society and owning a Heym 450/400 3" (and advertising the fact), but if my rifle arrives after 24 hours, we don't go to where originally agreed, but we manage to sort it out and I shoot a cape buffalo - thereby implying that I can deal with the African idiosyncrasies when things don't go to plan and still have a good time, yet I'm still not cut out for Africa, what does being cut out for Africa mean?

It really is time to move on.

quote:

Gatogordo,

I am well aware that the quotation by Antlers of Todd's comment may have not been referring to my immediate previous post. However, it is very arguable that it was referring to my post, and could easily be read that way. So I was aware there was ambiguity. If Antlers post was not referring to my post, I withdraw my comment and offer an apology. Please note as explained in earlier posts, that I knew full well that when I made posts on the internet, I knew to be prepared to get some derogatory personal attacks. Some of those personal attacks I have countered, some I have ignored.

For the record, my previous post was not in response to any of yours; in fact, I completed and posted my note before even reaching the end of the thread, where yours ended up immediately preceding mine. No need to apologize or respond to me - I agree; it's time to move on.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

I've made 7 trips to Africa, 2 trips to Russia, and 1 trip to New Zealand to hunt. I have never had a firearm permit in my hands when leaving the US on any of these trips. I did have advance info sent to the outfitter who met us in Petropovlovsk the first time and Moscow the second time on the Russia trips. Even for Russia, I got my permits once arriving. Australia would be a different story however as would some of the other places.[/QUOTE]

Well said Todd!

Permits which are necessary for a safe and legal export/re-import to the hunter's country of residence are the responsibility of the hunter - import/export documents, hunting permits are the total responsibility of the outfitter; how he goes about executing this process is of no real concern to the client.

In some western countries, the responsible office issuing the firearms export permit may require some form of evidence related to the safari whereby a copy of the contract and/or correspondence confirming the hunt is sufficient to secure these desired permits.
I have never heard of reciprocal permits being required from the host country.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm happy for you. But as you say, some other places are different -- don't use that approach if you decide to hunt in the UK.

The only foreign country where I have ever hunted and did not need a permit in advance is Germany. There I simply needed a letter of invitation. When told that, I was so surprised that I called the German Consulate in the U. S. to confirm it. They had to do some checking, but reported that was indeed the case. Some very friendly people in German Customs took care of my permit when I arrived with the letter.

But if some country requires a permit, you can bet I won't leave home without it.[/QUOTE]

This is typical western bureaucracy at work and unfortunately it is a reality.
If however you are part of the EU, holding for example a German firearms license, you will be free to travel throughout the EU without too much fanfare.
These are the same countries that will nail you for the rifle sling that you may have in your bag because it is listed as "part of a firearm" - let's give a big round of applause to our politicians!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Woodsy Al:

I reckon you can thank Tony Blair and all the the bunny huggers for the current UK laws on firearms.
The rest of Europe has still managed to hang on but for how long before you have to deposit your guns with a registered dealer homer

Apologies all - I've drifted off the subject again Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad I've had better luck contacting my PHs on my two hunts in Africa. In his shoes I think I would have left my rifle at home and headed over. Would I have been pleased--no, but I sure wouldn't have lost the money over something a camp rifle would have solved. On the other hand, spending 150 days or so a year outside the U.S. (in Romania right now) it is better to follow the rules than not. Most times it works out for you but when it doesn't you will regret it.

I do wonder though--if the PH had mucked up say a leopard permit would the reactions have been mostly "Its Africa Baby" and head over for a little plains game hunt, maybe "work it out" when you arrive or quite the opposite.

Regards,

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

One of Us
Picture of 450/400 Jeffrey's
posted Hide Post
Don,

Would you have stayed home in this instance?

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 7 day hunt for hyena, kudu and warthog was to cost (including my own expenses) $4795 plus $1250 = $6045
That is how much it was worth to me, no more, no less. I was happy to pay that.

A 7 day hunt for hyena, kudu and warthog without my own rifle is worth only half that to me $3022
To some they don't care whether they take their own gun, but I do. For example, I made preliminary enquiries about a hunt in the desert about 2 years ago. The PH could not give the information to me for me to be able to get a licence to use my own rifle, but said that I could borrow his. I said I wanted to bring my own rifle. I didn't book the hunt.

A 5 day hunt if there is no rifle in camp and we have to get one from somewhere for 2 of the three species is only worth to me 2/3 of $3022 which is $2015.

However, if I had gone without my rifle, I would still be paying $6045.

One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
quote:
A 7 day hunt for hyena, kudu and warthog was to cost (including my own expenses) $4795 plus $1250 = $6045

A 7 day hunt for hyena, kudu and warthog without my own rifle is worth only half that to me $3022
To some they don't care whether they take their own gun, but I do. For example, I made preliminary enquiries about a hunt in the desert about 2 years ago. The PH could not give the information to me for me to be able to get a licence to use my own rifle, but said that I could borrow his. I said I wanted to bring my own rifle. I didn't book the hunt.

A 5 day hunt if there is no rifle in camp and we have to get one from somewhere for 2 of the three species is only worth to me 2/3 of $3022 which is $2015.

Initially I was somewhat sympathetic to your plight but the more you post the less I feel that way.

Time to drop it or take it somewhere else, IMO.

horse

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The difference in how people value things makes the world go round.

For you, it seems to be about the trophies and the dollars and cents.

For me, it's about the experience of being in Africa. I leave Friday for RSA. Not taking my rifle and have no big agenda. We'll sort it out when I get there, and am sure to have a hell of good time.

To each his own.

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter54:
quote:
...I sent, by cell phone, a copy of that permit. .. I don’t know, but it was returned to me as “pending” ....

Prove it. That's B.S. Nothing gets returned as pending; what gets returned is a cannot deliver message; but since you have his e-mail, this would have gone through.

Besides, what a joke! Only two days before his departure?! That's cutting it too close- how about I send you a deposit only two days before departure to see if you like that!? Sheesh! That's unprofessional.

What about this?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunter54:

Trifling things such as dishonest confabulations and
slovenly laziness mean nothing to brown-nosing fans of the hooka smoker.
Thus you are being ignored.
Good catch.

quote:
quote:
quote:

What about this?

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a future customer for a hunt in Africa, the things I've learned by reading every post on here. 1st not to book with any africa outfitter that sided with Karl, 2nd When makng out the terms of the contract if the outftter (ph) doesn't fullfill the terms, permits, ect he doesn't get my money, Because I don't like to gamble my money I might not be right to hunt Africa. To all of the US hunters if this guy goes to DSC and wants our business he needs to abide by our rules. Might be a good guy. I don't know, Aussie same thing. To give your Money to someone for a hunt is a leap of faith. But business is Business and if I'm paying I expect a fair return. Yes sometimes stuff happens, but if your paid to do something do it, that's why I'm paying for it. REMEMBER 1 A SHIT EQUALS 100 at aboy's

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
David,

When I first read the post I was 100% on your side. The more you discuss the need to have to have your own rifle or the end of the world will come the more I shake my head and shy away from you comments. I don't agree with Karl but I do think that you need to back off the rifle thing. I went to RSA last year and my rifles did not arrive. I borrowed the owner's 30.06 that I had never shot before in my life and several animals in the salt later my rifles arrived. I was tempted not to even use my own as we were in such a groove with the current rifle. Back off the rifle thing and resolve the real issue at hand.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
David:
Little Joe is right, give it a rest. The more your rant, the more public opinion is moving away from you.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David,
Yes, stick to the inexcusable failures and false communications of the "professional."
Professional Liability Insurance for PH would be a joke, eh?

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone else has started a thread which is interesting called Using your own Rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one more question for those with a legal background :

If a PH agrees to supply a permit, the permit doesn't get supplied in time so the client would have to borrow the PH's gun to hunt, the client has a reasonable basis to be unsure whether the PH has a suitable gun in camp or can easily get one, the client asks for an assurance that the PH can supply a suitable gun so that the hunt can can place, and no assurance is received, does that constitute anticipatory breach of contract by the PH?

Please no derogatory posts or posts saying they have no sympathy for me or they are sick of my posts. I have referred you to another thread and suggest you stop reading this thread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you voluntarily cancelled your safari, there is no tort. If any of this had come to pass, you may have had a tort, and a legal basis on which to proceed.

Then there is a question of which country's law would apply here. Namibia or OZ. Should it come to litigation, would you file in Namibia? Since that would have been the locale of the "anticipatory breach of contract", it follows that Namibia would hear the case.

Whether such a case was heard by a Magistrate or a jury, a foreigner would have a tough time winning. Beyond the difficulty of minimizing any local expert testimony, you'd need to be Namibia for the hearing. The defendant could ask for endless continuances that could drag on for months.

So it is a waste of brain cells to even contemplate such a notion.

One of Us
Picture of Bill G. in Oregon
posted Hide Post
a little scarry stuff for this old maybe newbie to safari to consider

Posts: 1783 | Registered: 21 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is up to everyone to decide for themselves. Either you trust Karl or you don't. I am afraid this thread has done nothing to improve Karl's reputation.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
450/400 Jeffrey's,

With all due respect, the "cancellation" occurred after the PH failed to provide the assurance that there would be a suitable rifle in camp that was available (after agreeing to supply the permit and failing to do so). It is the failing to provide the assurance which would constitute the breach, under the doctrine of anticipatory breach of contract.

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
David you keep digging yourself a bigger hole. You keep beating the same dead horse and it is getting old. The support you had is continuing to dwindle like it or not.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LittleJoe:
David you keep digging yourself a bigger hole. You keep beating the same dead horse and it is getting old. The support you had is continuing to dwindle like it or not.

x2..... horse

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
X3. THE MORE YOU POST, THE DEEPER THE HOLE.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you demonstrate that you can count past three and address the question? I know this turning out to be a popularity contest, but what are you doing on this thread anyway?

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
David, I'm afraid that you are really not cut out for African hunting.

My thoughts too.

Africa isn't a place for everyone. You have to be more easy going, go with the flow, else you could blow your top every day, and have to cancel every safari, trip, whatever, everytime, the last minute before a flight.

I've only read part of the first two pages, but it reads to me like the client cancelled the safari without due cause.

quote:

On this page of the long thread, the post by DD just reinforces that, how he "prices" a safari, with his rifle, with a loaned rifle, and without presumably ANY rifle!

Imagine asking ANY OUTFITTER or PH for a 50% discount the night before a flight because there was an error on some firearms permit date???!!! The above post is a huge change from the posts on the first page.

Very very unrealistic attitude and just proving, some hunters are not cut out for Africa.

I have also hunted with Karl and found him a good PH, a nice guy, helpful, he worked through issues when they occurred.

I have never re-booked with a PH before Karl and one other is probably the only ones I would. Actually I was talking to Karl about a new booking only a couple of months ago.

I read the complaints as rightfully a permit was sent with the wrong dates, which was not an insurmountable problem. And then an over-reaction.

BTW I know Karl does have a nice rifle in camp, with a "crisp 3 pound trigger pull" (using DD's own terminology of what he requires Roll Eyes ). He loaned it to me, for no charge btw, to try out hunting with a 8x68S, which I wanted to buy a rifle in myself.

edited to add: Having read some of DD's later posts now, especially the one quoted above, I think he will have absolutely no problems with the complaint to NAPHA. Basically the client abandoned his hunt, in effect a last minute cancellation.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Rubbish. It is quite possible to get an email pending message back. I have receieved them many times.

Edited to add: after a few days the email either gets through, or you receive a new message saying the original email has failed to be received.

As DD is in Australia, it is quite possible KS got a "email pending message".

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote