Need Suggestions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter54:
quote:
Originally posted by All Gone:
I absalutly did send an e-mail to the taxidermy co. today asking them not to send the tusks because what i am hearing from people who know that it is indeed a female.

Can the taxidermist confirm it's a bull or not? WE WANT TO SEE SOME BALLS from either you or the taxidermist or Adam on this!

The only person really qualified to confirm the sex of that elephant is the PH and the declaration of the killed animal on the permit: normally shows time, sex and GPS coordinates or defined location- AG has already confirmed that he was dragged off in a hurry in pursuit of the long departed buffalo and once they got back to the carcass there was no evidence left (hmmmmm.....however).

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:

The only person really qualified to confirm the sex of that elephant is the PH and the declaration of the killed animal on the permit: normally shows time, sex and GPS coordinates or defined location-

It should be a simple matter of record shouldn't it?
But if the PH masterminding this fiasco is Tim Lamprecht, can you believe anything he says, or any of his documentation?
Ditto his ex-employer, Wayne Dietrechsen.
ZPHA, where are you?

Sorry, Richard. I'd be losing my mind too, out of control, if this happened to me.
Really a bad situation for you, and any parties involved, other than you, deserve any trouble that can be sent their way.

Africa may be called "The Dark Continent." In this case it may be due to happenings that are like a black hole that never quits sucking.
Not dark comedy or black humor, just horrible.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only person really qualified to confirm the sex of that elephant is the PH and the declaration of the killed animal on the permit: normally shows time, sex and GPS coordinates or defined location-

This gets to my point, is no one responsible for confirming the sex of the animal killed? Would it be possible for a Zim PH, game scout, trackers, skinners, etc. to kill an elephant and not eventually KNOW what sex it is? Zim PH's? Anybody? Or are we sticking with the "it's such a big animal, I couldn't see.", or "I never really thought to look"

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:

This gets to my point, is no one responsible for confirming the sex of the animal killed? Would it be possible for a Zim PH, game scout, trackers, skinners, etc. to kill an elephant and not eventually KNOW what sex it is? Zim PH's? Anybody? Or are we sticking with the "it's such a big animal, I couldn't see.", or "I never really thought to look"

Brad,

Unless I'm mistaken the "legal" answer to your question is in your own quoted post above.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7610 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
I am actually not looking for a "legal answer", I was hoping that an experienced PH would come on and say whether they could see any way in which an elephant could be shot, killed, photographed, skinned, and butchered without the involved parties knowing what its sex was.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Answer to that is NO. It is very obvious.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank You Buzz, I thought so too. However, I have never hunted or killed an elephant, and try not to be one of the local yahoos (sometimes to no avail) Wink

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
All Gone, Adam Clemens
With the above stated, what was the sex of the elephant you shot?

One of Us
posted Hide Post

I think you missed this ealier in the thread and in my hunting report. The ele died just the way it was in the pics, it was not moved. I did not look and if Tim knew he did not say and i didn't ask. We dropped the skinners and scouts off in the morning to make a road to the ele.
They skinned and deboned the entire ele before we got back to them at around 4pm. They did not move it much to do all this because it was still in this position when we returned. I am sure that they and Tim knew but again i did not ask. Yes i just assumed it was a bull.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
RMEF Life member
Pheasants Forever life member
National Trappers Assn. life member
WTA member
Boone and Crocket club member
Wild Sheep Foundation member

Posts: 124 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of white north
posted Hide Post
I did a elephant hunt 4 months in Zimbabwe, and was very happy with my hunt. Money couldnt have bought me a better PH I was hunting with. Also had a very good booking agent, as they got an update everyday on my hunt, an dto make sure everthing was OK. I hunted with Chifuti Safaris, and was booked thru Safari Classics.

AG if you ever go back, I would recommend you go thru Safari Classics and hunt with Chifuti.

White North

Posts: 126 | Location: Arviat, Nunavut, CANADA | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, can't found any pics, where I can found them?

D.V.M.

Posts: 179 | Location: Italy | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:

AG if you ever go back, I would recommend you go thru Safari Classics and hunt with Chifuti.

White North

+ 1 on that!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
quote:

White North

+ 1 on that!

Not sure I would wish that on Andrew and Paul.

Mike

Posts: 21374 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
yuck

One of Us
Picture of wtnut
posted Hide Post
+2 and +3 on Chifuti/Safari Classics

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am actually not looking for a "legal answer", I was hoping that an experienced PH would come on and say whether they could see any way in which an elephant could be shot, killed, photographed, skinned, and butchered without the involved parties knowing what its sex was.

Brad, I've also never killed an elephant. Wink

Buzz said in reply to this question that the answer is NO. Sex is obvious.

I agree, but has anyone here ever seen the size and location of a B-I-G elephant bull's ball-bag? With two exceptions that I know of [there may be more?], if you shoot a mature male land mammal and you turn it on it's side, or on it's back you can see a "ball bag" or more scientifically correct a scrotum somewhere between the anus and belly. An elephant bull aint got one! Sure, a bull elephant has testicles or balls, but they are not in a bag hanging between his hind legs! FYI, they are located internally near the kidneys!

But if you shoot any mature land mamal and lift it's tail [if it has one] and you see an anus or generally know as an asshole, without another orifice directly below it, then it was a male!

Need I say anything about the visibility of a penis or penis sheath of a male land mamal, or in this case an elephant, when being butchered - even a very young calf?

As Buzz said, it's obvious! Wink The whole of the skinning team knows what sex that calf was!
Just ask, one or all of them!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think you missed this ealier in the thread and in my hunting report. The ele died just the way it was in the pics, it was not moved. I did not look and if Tim knew he did not say and i didn't ask. We dropped the skinners and scouts off in the morning to make a road to the ele.
They skinned and deboned the entire ele before we got back to them at around 4pm. They did not move it much to do all this because it was still in this position when we returned. I am sure that they and Tim knew but again i did not ask. Yes i just assumed it was a bull.

Perhaps you should ask Wayne or Adam, are you not concerned?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wayne being the outfitter is solely responsible for all actions, inclusive of those by his employees, related to his activity, and should reveal the sex of the elephant as was ultimately registered on the permit.
Should it be listed as male then he's quite likely screwed the pooch and himself. Wink

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:

Adam Clements, what is the difference in trophy fee's between a bull elephant and a cow elephant?

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Folks

Just to clarify- during the skinning process there is NO doubt on the sex- however I think I need to reiterate an importanat point I made on my first post.

" from the pictures ( now removed) it sure looks like a cow however from Pics alone you cannot be 100%." I do hope that they clear it as a immature bull as it will be alot less problems for all involved. Cheers Buzz

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hi Brad,

I recently took my first as a guide and I will admit having never hunted or really studied the hunting of them much. To me and my equally unlearned client the bull was flipping obvious. Cows are noisy little grey flappy things followed by even smaller little grey flappy things.

Chaps if you do not mix it with your quarry or indeed have time to study your trophy to a certain degree then you are missing out on hunting.

Shit and I thought it was all about dust, cordite, tusks and the rumble of grim beasts.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9901 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cows are noisy little grey flappy things followed by even smaller little grey flappy things.

animal Perhaps you missed the pictures, unfortunately the problem hear is, he shot one of the "even smaller little grey flappy things".

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Chaps if you do not mix it with your quarry or indeed have time to study your trophy to a certain degree then you are missing out on hunting.

Andrew
You and I are of the same mind. I always get in trouble for saying it here on AR, but I really think a hunter misses out on the most important part of the hunt when they take an elephant, lion or leopard right at the start of their safari without actually getting a chance to hunt for it.

Even if AG's elephant had been a good one, I really don't see how it could hold much value to the hunter as just popped it after coming across it in the bush without yet having actually hunted for elephant.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shit and I thought it was all about dust, cordite, tusks and the rumble of grim beasts.

Well put. Cool

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have always enjoyed being part of the skinning and butchering party whenever we have shot an elephant.

It is all part of the hunt.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67390 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Andrew
You and I are of the same mind. I always get in trouble for saying it here on AR, but I really think a hunter misses out on the most important part of the hunt when they take an elephant, lion or leopard right at the start of their safari without actually getting a chance to hunt for it.

Even if AG's elephant had been a good one, I really don't see how it could hold much value to the hunter as just popped it after coming across it in the bush without yet having actually hunted for elephant.

Jason

I can answer that one. I shot my tuskless cow on my first morning. That didn't stop Buzz from taking me close to every elephant we came across for the rest of my hunt. We got chased a few times, our butts puckered no less, maybe more with no tag available and mad cow disease rampant among the family herds.... Quite unforgettable!

That was my best safari ever, I shot elephant, hippo and leopard with some assorted small game plus time for some tiger fishing. There was no shortage of excitement and lots of great memories to boot! I would not change a thing about that trip.

~Ann

Posts: 19225 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm not sure what you meant, but sometimes when elephant hunting, I find the substance highlighted above in my britches. Big Grin

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

What a wonderfully quoteable line that is...even more so after reading JudgeG's take on it!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:

I can answer that one. I shot my tuskless cow on my first morning. That didn't stop Buzz from taking me close to every elephant we came across for the rest of my hunt. We got chased a few times, our butts puckered no less, maybe more with no tag available and mad cow disease rampant among the family herds.... Quite unforgettable!

Great answer Ann. That is definitely one of the benefits of going with a driven PH like Buzz. Most PH would just figure the "elephant portion" of the hunt was over and would avoid them, thereby stealing all those great experiences.

I would think the pucker factor would be quite high, messing with cows with no tag in hand...
Eeker

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The latest Issue of Magnum has a great article about hunters like All Gone. At least in this article the PH and Outfitter seem to be upstanding people though.
Well worth the read, I will try scan it in for those who dont have it. If anyone else has faster access to a scanner and a magnum, it is on page 42.

Also a great article by Ganyana with a great pic of him standing in front of a charging bull.

Ganyana, was that Elephant part of the cull opperation?
Thanks for a good article, HQ

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well worth the read, I will try scan it in for those who dont have it.

Copyright may be a legal issue?

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point Andrew
I will ask Gregor what his stance is.
HQ

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No word from Adam or Richard for a while now...

Has this issue been resolved??

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leopardtrack,

Nothing more has been has been done to resolve the situation.

Wayne e-mailed me and assurred me the tusks are from a male. He also said he would send me the paperwork to prove it.

I found out from the taxidermy co. that its perfectly legal for them to buy my ele skin.

Sounds like our side has changed up some of the paper work needed so 2011 leopard imports have been halted until the other side can figure out out what is required to make things right.

RMEF Life member
WTA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adam C has an interesting reply to a hunt report by Bill73

RMEF Life member
WTA member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Adam C has an interesting reply to a hunt report by Bill73

I am probably going to get dog piled by saying this, but oh well...

Adam's comment was in poor taste with respect to belittling someone's animals. But, put yourself in his place and you might have some idea why he responded that way.

Here is one thing I like about Adam and Mark, esp Mark. Mark takes time to answer our questions. Other booking agents do too. Often the questions are about guns, protocol, etc. - in short, answering them ain't gonna sell any hunts. Mark will often answer a question when he darn well knows the guy asking the question is going to book directly or through someone else. Mark is "one of us."

Some of you may recall a post I made about "discount" vs "cancellation" hunts. The booking agent came on here and belittled me for complaining about a spectacular hunt (it was). That wasn't the point, but I did get several PMs telling me the behavior of that agent was inappropriate. I guess stating so in public would result in being "blacklisted." Oh well; when I wrote my stories the name of that booking agent was left out. To be fair, no else has ever had anything bad to say about the guy. And my issue wasn't the hunt but with semantics.

I think Adam clearly blew this one with AG. Hopefully this causes him to be introspective about how he runs his business and he changes for the benefit of all of us. For all the bad stuff, he ain't no Jeff Blair.

Okay, let me have it.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I really know little about what has and is going on between Adam and AG, I am not going to comment about that now.

But I really find Adam's comment in that post both to be in very bad taste and very childish.
Nothing excuses the post he made there.

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been a member for less than a year.In that time i have learned many things about hunting in Africa from those who post here. I did not post questions here because after reading everything i could on here i thought that i was ready for Africa.

I recently got back from a hunt in Zim. that i booked through a well known booking agent.

I don't consider my hunt to be a bad one. It's that i think it could have been much better than it was due to the actions and behavior of my PH. I won't get into all that happened here but would like to enter a hunting report to let others know about what went on with the PH and hunting outfit so they can make up their own minds whether or not to book a hunt with them in the future.

My concern is my trophys. At this time they are still in Zim. and the booking agent is helping to get things worked out for there shipment home.

The hunt took place in the last half of Sep.. I have not recieved a final bill for the hunt yet.

My main question is when do you think it would be the best time to enter a hunt report? After the money has been sorted out? I did ask for trophy money back because because of the issues with the PH and him telling me,{ not asking if i wanted it or talking it over at all} to shoot an Ele. that was much smaller than i was told was average for the area.After telling this to the booking agent he said there was about 0% chance of ever getting money back. He said ultamatly it was my decision to pull the trigger or not.

Or when i know my trophys are shipped and on there way here?

At this point i'm not sure who i can trust.
I want to trust the booking agent, but trying to get info from him is like pulling teeth. I know he has talked to the owner of the hunt co.
but has not shared any info with me. I think he would like to put this behind him ASAP and move on. And wants me to chaulk it up to an expensive education and get over it.

Tell me what you think,good or bad.

Thanks,
All Gone

Maybe I should know better than to shine a light on this thread once more,but having read every word (belatedly) over the last week.....

AG was very unfortunate to be exposed to T.M. the PH,who should now be in the slammer doing hard labour. (without afternoon naps).

W.D.the Outfitter, should be ashamed of himself for setting the wheels in motion, with who knows,what consequences eventually to AG.

Adam, the Agent, who comes across as a guy trying his best to sort things out,but you have to ask him,why he would trust an outfitter(who has a suspect past and once again proved it) to look out for a virgin African Hunter.

What a mess. This thread started on Nov.5th or what we call 'Fireworks Night' here in the U.K.
It certainly has lived up to that.
AG you did not have to, guild the lily, with the talk of donation to our heroes. Most of the guys here were on your side in order to see fair play prevail.
If any lessons can be learned from this,I hope you have learned the most. And maybe, using your knowledge, go back to Africa for a successful trip/hunt. You got some good advice over the past month here on AR I only hope you take it. And no,before you ask, I have not been to Africa. Good luck.jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jc,

Yes your probably right about the charity. After giving it some thought i could see where it could sound like that but i also believe that most minds where already made up. I wasen't trying to sway anyone. I meant what i said and still do.

The way i see it that money is probably gone. If i was to get any back it would be a miracle so why not spread it around. I am sorry i said it but i'm not sorry for doing it. I give, and for that i apoligize to no one.

Please don't take anything above the wrong way. Everyone has their own way, that happens to be my way. Just sayin.

RMEF Life member
WTA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this the end of your saga?

Any other coorespondance from Adam?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote