Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
And I need to apologize to you and Todd about the closet liberal comment. There are some insults that are simply beyond the pale and over the top. Referring to anyone as a liberal or Democrat is clearly over the line and uncalled for under any circumstances. I might as well have said something about your Mommas. My apologies. Big Grin

Mike,
We are amongst friends!

But...dam...kick my dog or something...just don't call me a Dem!!!

Seriously...we have been arguing for years now...but we are hunting and AR brother! tu2

I know, I realized that was a low blow. Heaven forbid that I might have gone one step further and accused you both of voting for BO. Sheesh, that would have been really reprehensible on my part.

Yep...that would be the ultimate low blow!!!

In fact that is one thing that no one has ever called me...a BO voter. shocker

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
And I need to apologize to you and Todd about the closet liberal comment. There are some insults that are simply beyond the pale and over the top. Referring to anyone as a liberal or Democrat is clearly over the line and uncalled for under any circumstances. I might as well have said something about your Mommas. My apologies. Big Grin

Hey, after you falsely accused me of being a Blaser owner/shooter/lover/molester/what-have-you, I figured I got off lightly! Not to mention that you mentioned my name along with shoot-a-cow in the same subject line!

rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Full Roar:

It would be interesting for some of the Ph's to come on here and clarify what the trackers, skinners, camp manager and other staff earn as wages in a day. Maybe that would help determine what an appropriate tip would be - based upon a percentage of what they actually get paid. I suppose it is possible that they don't want us to know what the staff gets paid, although usually the operators and Ph's are truthful and transparent when asked a direct question. I know in my business that I don't want the customers to know my true costs, but then, even though we provide a service, we don't get or expect tips and my employees get paid appropriately. Most of us can do math fairly well and we would start comparing known operating expenses to daily rates. Not that it would change anything - no offense to anyone mind you
A thought (perhaps delusional) and not to start any poo throwing, is that the staff is not getting paid by the operator and is actually getting paid by the client at the end. Surely this could not be the case?

Full Roar:

I can only give you an insight on Tanzania.

Camp staff wages (market value) ranges from fixed basic which is approx. $100/month for unskilled labour to $200/250 for a chief cook to $300/400 for a camp manager.

Approx. 75% of this labour force is seasonal so without a job in a hunting camp for 6 months of the year as the hunting season in Tanzania is limited to 6 months.

The remaining 25% are usually employed on a full time basis; theirs will be the job of trophy handling/packing, tent and equipment maintenance in general between one season and the next.

The cook/s mostly free-lance their services in the catering field (private parties, part time in restaurants, etc.) - trackers/skinners/unskilled labourers go back to their villages and do whatever it is that villagers do in their spare time.

The tips they accrue over 6 months in the field is a tremendous boost to their livelihood and when times are lean as has been over the past 3/4 years in particular due to negative world economy, this impacts on the source of funds, i.e. the hunting client.
A reduction of clients equates to less business for the outfitter, less safaris, less tips.

So yes, tipping is the norm through most of the African continent even though it may be shunned in some parts of the western world; the lifestyles between hemispheres and can compare between day and night.

The client's generosity is therefore greatly appreciated by those that strive to make a safari a success and this success is not attributable to one man alone (outfitter) but his workforce, as in any business.

It goes without saying however that a bonus for their toils is based on the quality and effort of their service and as stated by many, is not mandatory and to be regarded simply as a token of appreciation.

Most every camp has what could be referred to as a "tipping guide" and to be used in that very manner. One may then choose to give less, more or nothing at all.

The occasional outfitter (few and far between) has already included the tip in his daily rate making for the client to be none the wiser.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you feel the necessity to tip on the basis that you are concerned that if you don't you will never see your trophies, then you shouldn't be hunting with that outfitter in the first place.

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

Hey, after you falsely accused me of being a Blaser owner/shooter/lover/molester/what-have-you, I figured I got off lightly! Not to mention that you mentioned my name along with shoot-a-cow in the same subject line!

rotflmo

Todd,

we all know that you are a Blaser lover ... tu2

jumping
animal

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been reading this thread with great interest.

In Scandinavia it was previously a norm that you tipped the waiter 10% in restaurants and taxi drivers etc. Now a days tipping has become reduced as wages have reached a level that is more comparable to other sectors average wages. In addition going to a restuarant etc is expensive enough in it self and people have started to ask whether you should tip a waiter etc just for doing his/her job !?

In Africa I kind of understand the tipping. The workers do not have a high standard of living, the job is seasonal and a tip is very much welcomed. If the outfitter put the tip as a part of the price - it would be ok as long as the tip really goes to the worker. But since the tip is so personal I would rather keep the system as it is. The only thing is that if the safari industry keep pushing the tip level upwards there will probably be less clients after some time ! I agree when someone said that especially the american hunters should take notice of this.

Some examples how tipping happens around the world could be useful to observe:

In Europe there is a Danish Hunting Agent called Diana. They have developed packages for some European hunts that is fixed price including tipping and the tipping amount is official. It is not expected by the client to pay one dime extra when booking these hunts ! The hunter knows exactly the total cost and thats it !

I have been hunting with a Canadian outfitter that presents a note to every hunter explaining his attitude to tipping and how the guides should behave regarding tipping. ( it is in fact a note that is a part of the contract between the outfitter and the guides ) Any misconduct from the guides regarding these rules may result that the guides are fired ! The note say that a tip should not be expected and any negative comments on a tip received from a hunter is not acceptable behavior from the guide. If a tip is given it shall be seen upon as a personal thanks from the client to the guide.

When hunting Marco Polo in Tajikistan november 2012 I and a hunting friend planned to tip about 600 euros split on the guide and driver + assistand guide and some helping staff. 600 auros is approx 800 dollars. We hunted just 3 days. The outfitter told us that he himself had received several thousand dollars on a couple of occations from US Hunters - up to 7.000 US dollars as a tip. The cost of the hunt is between 20-23.000 euros which is approx 27-32.000 US dollars. A tip of 7.000 makes the tipping 22-26% of the hunt price on top of the hunt price it self. However, as the outfitter is familiar with Scandinavian Hunters he knew that this is not normal in our world and he did not expect such tips for his employees. At the same time we got some thinking ....

Saving money for a expensive hunt is hard enough on the wallet for many including my self. Hopefully the expectations about tipping could be held at a reasonable level in future so that we can continue to do what all of us love so much... go hunting ! At the same time I understand that tipping is a part of the total cost !

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:

The tips they accrue over 6 months in the field is a tremendous boost to their livelihood and when times are lean as has been over the past 3/4 years in particular due to negative world economy, this impacts on the source of funds, i.e. the hunting client.
A reduction of clients equates to less business for the outfitter, less safaris, less tips.

So yes, tipping is the norm through most of the African continent even though it may be shunned in some parts of the western world; the lifestyles between hemispheres and can compare between day and night.

The client's generosity is therefore greatly appreciated by those that strive to make a safari a success and this success is not attributable to one man alone (outfitter) but his workforce, as in any business.

It goes without saying however that a bonus for their toils is based on the quality and effort of their service and as stated by many, is not mandatory and to be regarded simply as a token of appreciation.

Most every camp has what could be referred to as a "tipping guide" and to be used in that very manner. One may then choose to give less, more or nothing at all.

The occasional outfitter (few and far between) has already included the tip in his daily rate making for the client to be none the wiser.

If the outfitter is concerned about the livelihood of their employees, they should pay them more.

There is the unstated but implied use of guilt in tipping. You mention the "client's generosity," i.e., if the client doesn't tip he isn't generous. The tip is a "token of appreciation," so if you don't tip you aren't appreciative.

As for the 'tipping guide,' that would incline me to give less of a tip.

The American, wishing to be seen as generous and appreciative leaves a tip; the more generous and appreciative he wishes to appear, the bigger the tip. This morphs into the American being seen as the rich American. Of course with time, the reputation gets around and the public official, i.e., the police officer and the customs officials also wish to receive tips which the rich (I'll call them stupid) Americans give for perceived help. Then the officials begin purposely messing things up so they can then straighten them up and get a tip. Tipping is corrupting especially when puplic officials are tipped which is really a bribe. You aren't respected for being stupid; I've lived a third world country for quite awhile and know.

Not too long ago a garbage collector in New York was fired from his $70,000+ a year job for accepting a $20 tip. I say good on New York.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
quote:

If the outfitter is concerned about the livelihood of their employees, they should pay them more.

There is the unstated but implied use of guilt in tipping. You mention the "client's generosity," i.e., if the client doesn't tip he isn't generous. The tip is a "token of appreciation," so if you don't tip you aren't appreciative.

As for the 'tipping guide,' that would incline me to give less of a tip.

The American, wishing to be seen as generous and appreciative leaves a tip; the more generous and appreciative he wishes to appear, the bigger the tip. This morphs into the American being seen as the rich American. Of course with time, the reputation gets around and the public official, i.e., the police officer and the customs officials also wish to receive tips which the rich (I'll call them stupid) Americans give for perceived help. Then the officials begin purposely messing things up so they can then straighten them up and get a tip. Tipping is corrupting especially when puplic officials are tipped which is really a bribe. You aren't respected for being stupid; I've lived a third world country for quite awhile and know.

Not too long ago a garbage collector in New York was fired from his $70,000+ a year job for accepting a $20 tip. I say good on New York.

tu2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

J$:

Please understand the last sentence.

The client will by then have concluded the hunt and will not have to worry about having his soup spat in or discovering the effects produced by a hairy caterpillar rubbed through his underwear. Big Grin

Also, do you all for a moment think the outfitter is obliged to pay someone for staying home for 6 months? Remember that these individuals cannot ply their trade (skinner, tracker) off season and will most certainly not find much menial paid work in a village.

So, while they are employed during those 6 months, they have no expenses while in camp as everything is provided for, from food to medical. Season ends they walk off with a lump sum plus, in most cases, an unspecified bonus if they performed well and an invitation to return the following year.

Pole sana if you guys disagree - the same bunch that turn blue in the face at the mention of tipping are quite happy to do so in a restaurant, riding a cab, palming the parking valet, etc. etc. but the crew that has been working at your call for anything up to 21 days, up at 04:00hrs and to bed not earlier than 22:00hrs on a 24/7 are not worthy of a tip?

Strange people with strange ways of thinking IMO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
J$ my apologies.

Please read that as Grumulkin and Ledvm.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Interesting topic as always:

I've been in camps where I was told that I was giving too much (misunderstanding as I had asked about suggested tips for the staff and the PH told me total numbers for our group and I thought that he meant individually)

I've also been in camps where suggested tips were told me to me without asking on the first day there. I was also told how disappointed the staff were because the last client was European and left them little tips.

I've been in camps where it was procedure to distribute the tips individually with the PH sitting off to the side not involved at all.

I've also been in camps where the PH collects all the tips himself privately and takes care of distribution.

I've had staff mention to me that PHs short them on their tips so I could just give him some at the start of the trip to make sure that he got it.

I've seen owner/operators shocked and delighted at receiving a tip and I've seen hired PHs barely acknowledge a tip even though their tip was 50% over the "suggested amount"

I just wish that I could keep it all straight

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

J$:

Please understand the last sentence.

The client will by then have concluded the hunt and will not have to worry about having his soup spat in or discovering the effects produced by a hairy caterpillar rubbed through his underwear. Big Grin

And this is one of the problems associated with tipping. Why should a paying customer, and well paying customer in the case of Tanzania where you're from, have to worry about things such as this in the first place? Personally, I don't think one should have to bribe the staff to not screw with you while in camp! Where I see this as a problem is while on the second hunt with an outfit you hunted with previously without leaving a tip at the conclusion.

Also, do you all for a moment think the outfitter is obliged to pay someone for staying home for 6 months? Remember that these individuals cannot ply their trade (skinner, tracker) off season and will most certainly not find much menial paid work in a village.

Not too sure what your point is here fujo. Let me ask a question, do you for a moment think the client is obliged to pay someone for staying home for 6 months? I never thought of tips as being bankroll for the offseason, but if you frame it that way, you're asking the client to pay tips so that the staff gets by in the off season. Scratching my head on that one a bit. See your last comment on this post!

So, while they are employed during those 6 months, they have no expenses while in camp as everything is provided for, from food to medical. Season ends they walk off with a lump sum plus, in most cases, an unspecified bonus if they performed well and an invitation to return the following year.

Wait ... I thought the tips were the incentive to perform well, similar to a bonus. You're saying now that they get incentive pay in the form of tips AND a bonus from the outfitter!

Pole sana if you guys disagree - the same bunch that turn blue in the face at the mention of tipping are quite happy to do so in a restaurant, riding a cab, palming the parking valet, etc. etc. but the crew that has been working at your call for anything up to 21 days, up at 04:00hrs and to bed not earlier than 22:00hrs on a 24/7 are not worthy of a tip?

Don't be so sure of yourself Pal. Do I pay tips for customary things such as dinning in a restaurant or riding in a cab, etc. Yes, but to the contrary of your statement, I'm not "quite happy to do so".

Strange people with strange ways of thinking IMO.

Some have suggested that adding the tips into the daily rate will somehow cause prices to go up? How is that? Let's see, if the daily rate is $1,000 per day, but I also pay $20 per day each for two trackers and $20 per day for the cook, and $40 per day for all of the general help, another $100 per day for the PH in tips, in the end, how is that different than paying $1200 per day in daily rates if quoted outright? I'm paying the same amount either way. It should be up to the outfitter who hires and fires his employees to make sure the staff performs. That's part of the definition of business management. It shouldn't fall on the customer to discipline employees for poor performance by withholding tips. I say it that way because the tip is expected simply for doing ones job. Strange ways of thinking indeed.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I've been on only 4 safaris with 4 different outfitters. Tanzania on one and Zim for the other three. Never was pressured for tips. Tips were never brought up until I requested a suggested tip list with names. Everytime I have tipped individuals direct. Every safari I have tipped some individuals less than the suggested amount and every safari I have tipped some individuals more than the suggested amount and in some cases over double the suggested amount. It's real easy I base my tip on the service and effort each individual has provided.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some have suggested that adding the tips into the daily rate will somehow cause prices to go up? How is that?

Todd, really, how can it be seriously debated that increasing daily rates to provide for amounts that would otherwise be paid as tips will not cause prices to go up? Think about the absurdity of saying that. In that scenario the daily rate will go up for 100% of the hunters and any ability to exercise discretion to pay or not pay tips is gone for 100% of the hunters. Everyone is effectively paying a tip at the recommended level, everyone. Under the existing system, those that want to tip can, those that don't can refuse and those that want to tip at rates lower than the suggested rates can do so. If just one hunter refuses to tip or tips less than recommended, the current system is cheaper. As I have said before, I have left tips at the recommended amounts, not left tips and left tips at amounts less than the recommended amounts. Why do you want to eliminate my ability to exercise my judgment and discretion in tipping by increasing my daily rates and the daily rates for everyone else?

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd:

Where have you read me saying that a client is obliged to tip his staff?

"The client will by then have concluded the hunt and will not have to worry about having his soup spat in or discovering the effects produced by a hairy caterpillar rubbed through his underwear."

Is not a suggestion that it happens nor will happen nor are tips ever mentioned before or during the hunt.
To the best of my knowledge any discussion concerning tipping is brought up when affairs are being wound up, like the tally of trophy fees, balance on charter, or whatever, hence the above 'facetious' remark.

The statement on seasonal hired hands is merely to bring to one's attention that these people have no other outlet for work. It is therefore in their own interest to make the best they can from the limits of the season; they look forward to a handout as would your cabbie, or waiter and the more generous, the wider the smile and no, it was never said that the client was there to bankroll the individual's off-season.

Todd, scratch your head on my last paragraph where my last sentence was directed not where it suits you.

If tipping the cabbie, waitress and candlestick maker bugs you, why do you do it?

Now for your closing paragraph:

Would you prefer a defined, non-negotiable daily rate and a contract which expressly states "Strictly No Tipping of the Staff" or the traditional quote?

Just go to the offered hunts forum and get your answer. Most everyone expects a full breakdown on where their money is going, and quite rightly so.

Feel free to tip if its a part of you and don't if that too is a part of you. Wink

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Everyone can piss and moan, but the fact that tips can be and sometimes are used as bribe is fact in Africa and lot of other countries around the world especially when it comes to hunting industry and so forth.
I can also attest to the fact that when I was young, nobody ever felt sorry for me for having seasonal job and I didn't get extra and I also never used it against anyone. ( yeah, that would have been a day when outfitter would have said, Hey man, here is extra for next six months while you are not working, Ha Ha )
That is my way of looking at things, always first from my own experience.
I think ultimately every outfitter should have some kinda guide for arriving hunters and be straight with them...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Full Roar:

Camp staff wages (market value) ranges from fixed basic which is approx. $100/month for unskilled labour to $200/250 for a chief cook to $300/400 for a camp manager.

Approx. 75% of this labour force is seasonal so without a job in a hunting camp for 6 months of the year as the hunting season in Tanzania is limited to 6 months.

The remaining 25% are usually employed on a full time basis; theirs will be the job of trophy handling/packing, tent and equipment maintenance in general between one season and the next.

The cook/s mostly free-lance their services in the catering field (private parties, part time in restaurants, etc.) - trackers/skinners/unskilled labourers go back to their villages and do whatever it is that villagers do in their spare time.

fujotupu - very nice of you to provide some of the answers to the questions, and I appreciate the effort.
I agree, tipping is not mandatory-but I have definatly been pressured to hand out tips, not only in Africa but here in the states. Ever go to a strip club and try to get out without tipping the bitchy cocktail waitress?
Personally, I don't find it anyone's fault that the safari industry has turned cold the last few years - other than your own governments incessant demands for more money from us "Rich" Americans
In addition, I do not think it the traveling sportsman's obligation to unilaterally fund the off season for the camp staff that are seasonal. Yes, I understand that you classify it as our generosity and I agree. However, I need to point out that the staff in hunting camps have what are generally the only jobs and are among the better off individuals in their communities
Some quick math calculations incur some questions.
If a normal un-skilled laborer such as a tracker or skinner earns in the area of $200 per month, that equates to $6 to $8 per day. Does it not seem unrealistic for that individual to expect $10 to $20 per day for tips? A 100% to 200% increase over what the operator is paying him?
In addition lets take a look at daily rates we hunters pay
An average for Zimbabwe would be in the area of $1400 per day. Not sure what Tanzania is, but I understand it is significantly higher
So wages paid from that $1400 Daily Rate, and I round things to make them easier to calculate
PH-$200
Tracker #1 - $10
Tracker #2 - $10
Skinner - $10
Assistant Skinner - $10
Waiters 1 - $10
Waiter 2 - $10
Driver - #10
Game Scout - $10
Maid, Cleaning person - $10
This equates to Less than $300 per day paid by the operator in wages, most of which goes to the PH, leaving $1100 per day for the operator. Now I am aware that the operator has costs associated with continuing a safari operation in the form of overhead, which includes concession costs, vehicles, fuel, food etc. required to operate. So for sake of argument we will say that the daily operating cost - or overhead, is $200 per day for maintenance, food, fuel, booze etc.
This leaves around $900 per day for the operator. Not knowing what concession costs are, but assuming that they could not be more than 1/2 of the remaining margin, this leaves around $450 per day profit for the operator. This does not take into consideration the amount of money the operator makes on trophy fees, which I am of the opinion is probably sufficient to take care of the concession fees. Considering that the camp staff costs the operator less than $100 per day, does it not make sense that the operator could afford to pay his staff a bit better, thus making the sportsman less obligatory to provide the additional compensation in the form of the generosity as you described. I look at this and cannot help but think that the operator has built in the anticipated tip amounts to the employee wages to maximize the operators profit margin.
I am not saying that the operators don't deserve to make a profit, and certainly not stating that they are cutting a fat hog. However, from my observance of the larger operators at the various conventions, they do not seem to be hurting for money. In fact, many of them are travelling sportsman also, spending a helluva lot more money on their personal hunting than I am able
Just quick math and an observation. If I am incorrect in my assumptions or assessment's please feel free to correct me, it will not offend me
My personal opinion is that tips should be based upon wages paid. And in this analysis that certainly makes sense

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a way, I like tipping in that it is an incentive pay from ME for good service to ME.

I also despise the way that everyone has a hand out, especially in the US.

I should be able to decide who has done a good enough job to deserve a tip and who hasn't.

One of my peeves about tipping is the association of the expectation that the tip is associated with the price of whatever good or service that one is buying. As far as I am concerned a Tracker in Zim deserves the same tip for the same level of service on the same class of animals as the tracker in Tanzania. Similarly, the waitress at the local pub deserves the same tip as the guy at a high end steakhouse assuming the same level of service. The idea that the waiter delivered me $50 of service (added on as an automatic gratuity) when he did no more than the gal did at Perkins the day before who was happy to get $3.

I do think that people have become obligated to leave something. I don't have a problem if some fat cat leaves an extreme tip, or if some guy who got lousy service doesn't tip at all- but I would like to have a "standard" to compare to so that I can let people know how well I felt they did, and more, they know how I felt they did....

Posts: 11030 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Full Roar:

fujotupu - very nice of you to provide some of the answers to the questions, and I appreciate the effort.
I agree, tipping is not mandatory-but I have definatly been pressured to hand out tips, not only in Africa but here in the states. Ever go to a strip club and try to get out without tipping the bitchy cocktail waitress?
Personally, I don't find it anyone's fault that the safari industry has turned cold the last few years - other than your own governments incessant demands for more money from us "Rich" Americans
In addition, I do not think it the traveling sportsman's obligation to unilaterally fund the off season for the camp staff that are seasonal. Yes, I understand that you classify it as our generosity and I agree. However, I need to point out that the staff in hunting camps have what are generally the only jobs and are among the better off individuals in their communities
If a normal un-skilled laborer such as a tracker or skinner earns in the area of $200 per month, that equates to $6 to $8 per day. Does it not seem unrealistic for that individual to expect $10 to $20 per day for tips? A 100% to 200% increase over what the operator is paying him?
An average for Zimbabwe would be in the area of $1400 per day. Not sure what Tanzania is, but I understand it is significantly higher
So wages paid from that $1400 Daily Rate, and I round things to make them easier to calculate
PH-$200
Tracker #1 - $10
Tracker #2 - $10
Skinner - $10
Assistant Skinner - $10
Waiters 1 - $10
Waiter 2 - $10
Driver - #10
Game Scout - $10
This equates to Less than $300 per day paid by the operator in wages, most of which goes to the PH, leaving $1100 per day for the operator. Now I am aware that the operator has costs associated with continuing a safari operation in the form of overhead, which includes concession costs, vehicles, fuel, food etc. required to operate. So for sake of argument we will say that the daily operating cost - or overhead, is $200 per day for maintenance, food, fuel, booze etc.
This leaves around $900 per day for the operator. Not knowing what concession costs are, but assuming that they could not be more than 1/2 of the remaining margin, this leaves around $450 per day profit for the operator. This does not take into consideration the amount of money the operator makes on trophy fees, which I am of the opinion is probably sufficient to take care of the concession fees. Considering that the camp staff costs the operator less than $100 per day, does it not make sense that the operator could afford to pay his staff a bit better, thus making the sportsman less obligatory to provide the additional compensation in the form of the generosity as you described. I look at this and cannot help but think that the operator has built in the anticipated tip amounts to the employee wages to maximize the operators profit margin.
I am not saying that the operators don't deserve to make a profit, and certainly not stating that they are cutting a fat hog. However, from my observance of the larger operators at the various conventions, they do not seem to be hurting for money. In fact, many of them are travelling sportsman also, spending a helluva lot more money on their personal hunting than I am able
Just quick math and an observation. If I am incorrect in my assumptions or assessment's please feel free to correct me, it will not offend me
My personal opinion is that tips should be based upon wages paid. And in this analysis that certainly makes sense

Your numbers are WAY off. None of these operators are waltzing to the bank.

JEff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't mind tipping but there are two things that really piss me off:

1. I get two guides or two trackers because one doesn't have a client. I tell them upfront I am splitting the total tip between the two.
2. Tipping the camp cook more per day than it costs to eat in a restaurant in the US. Sorry, I don't get it.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
quote:
quote:

Full Roar:

PH-$200
Tracker #1 - $10
Tracker #2 - $10
Skinner - $10
Assistant Skinner - $10
Waiters 1 - $10
Waiter 2 - $10
Driver - #10
Game Scout - $10

JEff

"BWANA BUNDUKI"

These are not my numbers, they are numbers presented by fujotupu, apparently a person involved in the industry, knowledgeable about the labor costs for a safari camp. You are an intelligent individual, please read fujotupu's comments that you copy and pasted into your post and do the math yourself. You will find that I did not extrapolate anything, so I feel that you should defend your statement with facts, in a gentlemanly way
As I insinuated in my post, if I am incorrect with any assumption's or assessment's, please feel free to correct those assumptions or assessment's. Apparently you have some primal knowledge that I quite possibly do not possess. I am anxiously awaiting your corrections
As far as waltzing, well not very many operators would have that particular talent IMO

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is my experience as well . Some individually, some to operator, some are very happy, some don't bat an eye, some are delighted and others just expect a tip. I have had the PH say give the tips to the staff . Of course I have had the Ph keep my Swaro binoculars too LOL . Smiler

I will say that in my owning a offshore charter boat here my captains and mates gauged their day, and our onboard customers by the tip. A couple of times we had groups on that caught big fish and then no tips. The guys were seething and didn't want me to let or have them on again. Sometimes they were walking off the ground as they got a big tip . I could about tell just by talking to them and seeing how far they had run the cart and the boats that day LOL.

But in Africa and with Phs and other hunting camps I don't know that I ever felt that .

In the end I don't worry about it and go with what I want to do . That way I feel good about it and reward good service. I am not too worried about me. Just take care of my girls.

At a big and very nice bird hunting lodge we came off the transport one day and they didn't have nachos waiting at the door. Several of the execs in our party were raising hell and said no tips. That is all too much for me though. The next day when we came off there were nachos and drinks waiting before we got out . My son reached out to get one and I brushed his arm away. I told him I didn't want to get him going that way and spoiled LOL . That he could wait 5 minutes . Me too .

BTW I know a guy that gives the tip in advance . At restaurants too . He then expects the best service. He thinks it works . So there are other ways.

quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Interesting topic as always:

I've been in camps where I was told that I was giving too much (misunderstanding as I had asked about suggested tips for the staff and the PH told me total numbers for our group and I thought that he meant individually)

I've also been in camps where suggested tips were told me to me without asking on the first day there. I was also told how disappointed the staff were because the last client was European and left them little tips.

I've been in camps where it was procedure to distribute the tips individually with the PH sitting off to the side not involved at all.

I've also been in camps where the PH collects all the tips himself privately and takes care of distribution.

I've had staff mention to me that PHs short them on their tips so I could just give him some at the start of the trip to make sure that he got it.

I've seen owner/operators shocked and delighted at receiving a tip and I've seen hired PHs barely acknowledge a tip even though their tip was 50% over the "suggested amount"

I just wish that I could keep it all straight

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Todd:

Where have you read me saying that a client is obliged to tip his staff?

"The client will by then have concluded the hunt and will not have to worry about having his soup spat in or discovering the effects produced by a hairy caterpillar rubbed through his underwear."

Is not a suggestion that it happens nor will happen nor are tips ever mentioned before or during the hunt.
To the best of my knowledge any discussion concerning tipping is brought up when affairs are being wound up, like the tally of trophy fees, balance on charter, or whatever, hence the above 'facetious' remark.

Hey fujo, you brought up the idea of retribution played against the client, not I. And I clearly stated this would be more of an issue for a returning hunter who had stiffed the staff on tips at the conclusion of the first hunt. Whether or not it would happen, the fact you mentioned it is evidence enough that leaving without tipping isn't satisfactory, regardless of whether or not anything is said to the contrary!

The statement on seasonal hired hands is merely to bring to one's attention that these people have no other outlet for work. It is therefore in their own interest to make the best they can from the limits of the season; they look forward to a handout as would your cabbie, or waiter and the more generous, the wider the smile and no, it was never said that the client was there to bankroll the individual's off-season.

Todd, scratch your head on my last paragraph where my last sentence was directed not where it suits you.

Sorry fujo, but many of your recent posts have left me scratching my head. Starting with the one about moving the black and letting it live out it's days instead of generating a huge sum of cash for conservation by hunting it. But I digress to stay on topic here. YOU stated that the staff walks away at the end of the season with a BONUS from the OUTFITTER as well as tips from the clients. I thought the discussion was centered around the tips being the incentive but now there is a BONUS on top of that, and the purpose you stated is to fund them in the off season? Yep, scratching my head on that one! I don't see funding the staff in the off season to be my issue. I see it as being the employer/outfitter's issue to do what is necessary to lure them back for the subsequent season's hunting. I may or not be back in subsequent seasons to hunt with them. Sorry, their off season isn't my problem.

If tipping the cabbie, waitress and candlestick maker bugs you, why do you do it?

Because it's "expected". Just like the safari staff. I still don't like the system. Didn't say I don't play by the rules.

Now for your closing paragraph:

Would you prefer a defined, non-negotiable daily rate and a contract which expressly states "Strictly No Tipping of the Staff" or the traditional quote?

Hmmm ... let me think about that one for a nanosecond! YES! I'd prefer a non-negotiable daily rate and a contract which expressly states "Strictly No Tipping of the Staff"! YES!!!

Just go to the offered hunts forum and get your answer. Most everyone expects a full breakdown on where their money is going, and quite rightly so.

Feel free to tip if its a part of you and don't if that too is a part of you. Wink

Yeah, well, like I said, I play by the rules, so I do tip. I just don't like the system.

Mike, we can take the incentive argument of this debate to the extreme if you'd like. Say, no quoted daily rate or trophy fees at all, but rather a "suggested fee" at the conclusion of your elephant or buffalo hunt. Crappy safari, pay nothing and just go home. Have a great safari and pay $35K or so!! The parks official, outfitter, PH, trackers, skinners, driver, cook, etc. can all stand in line on the last day waiting for their handout by the client! Absurd of course, but hey, that would be one hell of an incentive to put on a great safari, eh?

Look, I've hunted Africa enough to know how the game works regarding tips. I've got a pretty good idea what the total cost will be while planning my hunt. But there are issues with it. Please realize that for the most part, I'm playing devil's advocate here for the purpose of debating the issue and airing it out a bit. But let's look at it from a different angle.

An outfitter gives a quote for an elephant hunt at $35,000 for a German client and $40,000 for the same hunt with an American client! How does that sound? Well, that's the reality of it, isn't it. After all, if the American tips $5K and the German tips nothing, but otherwise the hunt was the same, same PH, same number of days, same area, both take similar bulls, same camp, etc., what's the difference other than the German client got a better deal and the staff got screwed? Not likely to happen you say? Well, on my first hunt to Zim in 2008, I was after ele bull and leopard. There was a German client in camp as well. My hunt was 14 days, his was 18. He finished up 4 days before I did as he had arrived earlier. He left a total of $300 to be shared between the PH, camp managers, and staff. I left $4,000 per the "suggested" guideline. And no, it wasn't OK with the staff as I overheard the camp managers talking about it while using the phone to call home. They thought I was out of earshot, but I wasn't. I wouldn't want to be that guy if he chose to return another year to that particular camp with that outfitter. If the price had been stated as part of the daily rate, the staff would have gotten their pay and he and I would have paid the same amount for the same hunt, the differences in number of days notwithstanding of course. Which makes me wonder, is there a built in "factor" to the quoted daily rate for hunting European clients so that the outfitters CAN pay the staff when they get stiffed? It's a bit like shoplifting in that loss out the front door ultimately causes prices to rise for everyone. But I digress again as that is wandering from the topic a bit too far.

The main problem I have with the tipping issue is one of appropriateness. Honestly, I worry about under tipping more so than over tipping, within reason of course. I also think it's demeaning to the guys to have them lined up with their hands out for the cash at the end of the hunt. I always feel like I need a shower after the tipping ceremony! That's not to mention the regional differences and confusion that creates! What do you think is an appropriate tip for a brown bear hunt of 8 days duration? How about $300 total to be split amongst the guide, cook, and camp staff of 3 people? Well, that's what I was "suggested" on my 05 hunt in Russia! Then in 2012 I hunted New Zealand. The Kiwi's here on AR all say "no tipping allowed" in their homeland. Well, I found that the guide is to be tipped, but not the owner/operator, nor the private chef that was hired to cook the evening meals. So in some places, the tip is more than others and on hunts in some places, some staff gets a tip and others don't? Why not just state it in the price of the hunt and be done with it?

Here is one other little tid-bit about that U.S. hunt story I relayed earlier. So I tipped the guide 2 days worth of what I thought the going rate would be, based on my experience with Africa, even though he completed the hunt by noon on the first day. He was disappointed. What I didn't relay was that there was a hired cameraman in the camp as well. It just so happens that for my stalk and hunt, he tagged along to snag some extra footage that may or may not be used at sometime in the future. Now prior to my tipping the guide as already discussed, which happened on the morning of the second day as we packed to drive home, I offered the cameraman two $20 bills for filming me for about 15 minutes. He wasn't my cameraman, and he wasn't filming for me specifically, but since he did film my stalk and kill, and I wanted a copy of it, I figured it appropriate to offer him something. The look on his face when I offered him the money really took me back. "Dude, I'm being paid to be here. I don't want that"! I got the distinct impression that he was insulted that I would offer him a "tip" as if it put him below me somehow. So I left camp with one guy upset that I offered him a tip in the first place, and another upset that I didn't tip him enough! WTF, over? Really, I don't need that crap.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it is "expected by the outfitter for you to pay it" it is just a fee. That is plain and simple. That is not rocket science for crying out loud.

True, which is why if service was good, I tip over the recommendation.

Posted by Crazyhorse: Just an opinion here, but I believe if a client wishes to tip the staff on a hunt, it would mean more if they did so somewhat discretely, just the client and the individual/individuals they wish to tip. Again, that is just an opinion.

Not adviseable. There are many people who contribute a great deal to your success and comfort on a safari who you may never see unless you make the effort. The folks who do the laundry, cook your food, pack your lunch, work on the gari to all hours after you get in to make sure it it tip/top in the morning, the skinners, and skinners' assistants, the askaris who patrol your camp at night -- you probably never even heard them. You might never see those people or know what they did.

Most PH's recommend strenuously against this sort of tipping. It upsets the balance of the camp -- there is a definite pecking order.

Posts: 10381 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Todd, tell you what, you tell your outfitter on your upcoming hunt in Moz that you want to just agree to pay an extra $XXX on your daily rate in lieu of tips up front. That way you will not have to worry about anyone's hurt feelings, etc. The team should be ecstatic since they are all getting tipped up front at the recommended rate before they have lifted a finger. I will just decide at the end of my hunt in Zim in June whether to tip and what to tip based on how things go on the hunt. That way you get what you want and I get what I want. But advocating a one size fits all approach of increasing the daily rates for everyone, effectively forcing everyone to tip at the recommended level regardless of the experience on the hunt, just seems absurd to me. I sort of like being able to exercise discretion and am not afraid of using my good judgment. By the way, you sure seem to have a lot of drama on your hunts relative to tipping. Guess I lead a charmed life on safari.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Mike, tell YOU what. Why don't you tell Buzz you don't want to have a set price for anything on your upcoming hunt in June, and that you'll just pay up at the end for however you perceive the hunt to go? That way you can exercise all the judgement you want on your safari and can be truly happy in that you didn't have to fork over anything until you see the final result. Personally I'd have no problem asking Jumbo Moore to just give me a bill for the tips and take care of it himself. I'll start from the premise that a top operator will have top staff on the payroll, and if it turns out otherwise, it'll be my last hunt with them! But we both know neither is the way things are done in Africa today. I suspect we'll both play by the rules as we always have.

What I've done on this topic is share an opposing opinion regarding tips and stated some of the reasons why I hold those opinions. Sorry if you don't care for me relaying experiences regarding tipping in hunting camps I've been in and how I perceived the practice to cause some issues that could be avoided. I always show up with enough cash to take care of the situation, but I have my reasons for not liking the practice. As said, it doesn't mean I'll not play by the rules however.

I'm not really sure what has developed here to cause the two snide comments directed my way on this particular thread Mike, other than an opposing view to your own. Surely something as simple as that hasn't put a burr under your saddle, but if it has, so be it!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
No burr just a good honest debate. I do find it curious though that those that condemn and apparently have serious heartburn with the current system of tipping simply elect to go along to get along. My question was really a serious one, if you philosophically oppose tipping in its current form and think tipping is better addressed as part of a daily rate increase set upfront, what prevents you from raising that issue and handling it that way on your upcoming hunt and avoiding any drama at the end?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few things I have learned about tipping.

Never ask your PH or operator for suggestions.
Unlike the old days you can now find that information on the internet.

Don't leave two months wages for a ten day hunt.

Don't discuss tips until you are ready to leave.

Always give them directly to staff.

Decide what you can afford before you go and don't be intimidated by a staff that is twice as big as it needs to be.

Keep in mind that some operators pay their staff with tips and meat which are both provided by you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

JEff

Well said Jeff.

A few off-the-cuff expenditures:

- Concession fees cost in TZ depending on grade ($35 to $60K) each.
- Anti-poaching, if conducted properly 365 days: $10/15K.
- Operating Licenses and end of season maintenance costs on equipment and vehicles.
- 30% taxable on profits.

And to cap it off, Tanzania is just plain damn expensive all round and getting worse by the day.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunny:
A few things I have learned about tipping.

Never ask your PH or operator for suggestions.
Unlike the old days you can now find that information on the internet.

Don't leave two months wages for a ten day hunt.

Don't discuss tips until you are ready to leave.

Always give them directly to staff.

Decide what you can afford before you go and don't be intimidated by a staff that is twice as big as it needs to be.

Keep in mind that some operators pay their staff with tips and meat which are both provided by you.

Bingo, I like that
And I always suspected that many operators pay their staff with room and board ( butt but and meat ) and what tips they can get plus selling biltong from the game

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why don't you tell Buzz you don't want to have a set price for anything on your upcoming hunt in June, and that you'll just pay up at the end for however you perceive the hunt to go?

You can do that?

Who knew?

Buzz Buzz give me a call, I would like to hunt another ele.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I tip, based upon my own feelings of whether or not I have had service that has gone above and beyond that level of service which is to be expected in the very first place. Good or great service is expected. That is the minimum level that anyone should expect. Moreover, I put each individual's tips in their own white envelope, with their name on it, and only give it out at the very end of the hunt. I usually try and give them out privately and thank them individually. I don't like the "whole camp shows up for the tip ceremony" that some PHs like to put on. I never ask what is expected as a tip for anyone. That goes back to my first comment. I tip as to how I personally feel the service from that individual was-not a dictation from a chart, sheet or from the mouth of another. I have tipped very well, well, not so well, and not at all, depending on the circumstances. I have been back with some who did not fare well with tips the first time or on repeated hunts. No one ever invited me not to return. Anyone who would threaten to hold a trophy or to not deliver would be met with the force of whatever means I could bring to bear on that individual's license, credentials or credibility. As to the Las Vegas tipping issue that has been brought up here, yes, this written charting suggestion that was posted seems to be a recent phenomenon here in the Entertainment Capital of the World. As to their suggested tipping scale, I tip whatever I feel is right, and ignore their suggestions-which are nothing more than pressuring you to tip between 18-30% no matter the quality of the service that you received. I have also refused to pay tips that were automatically added to my bill, when service was not up to par. Big Grin Never forget that tipping anyone is totally voluntary, like Mike Jines and others have said. Furthermore, guilt should never become a factor in what you decide to tip anyone, nor should the reaction of those receiving the tip dictate your tip or a supplemental tip, which should be based on your own feelings regarding the level of service that you received. This is just my own opinion and experience.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I tip, based upon my own feelings of whether or not I have had service that has gone above and beyond that level of service which is to be expected in the very first place. Good or great service is expected. That is the minimum level that anyone should expect. Moreover, I put each individual's tips in their own white envelope, with their name on it, and only give it out at the very end of the hunt. I usually try and give them out privately and thank them individually. I don't like the "whole camp shows up for the tip ceremony" that some PHs like to put on. I never ask what is expected as a tip for anyone. That goes back to my first comment. I tip as to how I personally feel the service from that individual was-not a dictation from a chart, sheet or from the mouth of another. I have tipped very well, well, not so well, and not at all, depending on the circumstances. I have been back with some who did not fare well with tips the first time or on repeated hunts. No one ever invited me not to return. Anyone who would threaten to hold a trophy or to not deliver would be met with the force of whatever means I could bring to bear on that individual's license, credentials or credibility. As to the Las Vegas tipping issue that has been brought up here, yes, this written charting suggestion that was posted seems to be a recent phenomenon here in the Entertainment Capital of the World. As to their suggested tipping scale, I tip whatever I feel is right, and ignore their suggestions-which are nothing more than pressuring you to tip between 18-30% no matter the quality of the service that you received. I have also refused to pay tips that were automatically added to my bill, when service was not up to par. Big Grin Never forget that tipping anyone is totally voluntary, like Mike Jines and others have said. Furthermore, guilt should never become a factor in what you decide to tip anyone, nor should the reaction of those receiving the tip dictate your tip or a supplemental tip, which should be based on your own feelings regarding the level of service that you received. This is just my own opinion and experience.

Why did it take me umpteen posts to say what you said in ten lines? You deserve a tip. Wink

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
boys...boys...your making my head spin. I've got to quite reading this and get back to making some money so I can have enough tip money on my next hunt. Let's all take a breather.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Not good when one lawyer compliments another. . . . Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I think , in the end we all know what to do and not to be pressured into it the wrong way.
This has been excellent topic and I wish some of the PH's/operators and agents would pipe in a bit more.
Seems like they somewhat shied away from this one...
Wonder why?

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
I don't think the hunting industry people are shying away. All has been said that can be said since the beginning of the thread.
My 5 cents worth : Tip what you can for good service , no one should prescribe exactly what it should be. Any PH that does that to you on the first day of the hunt should be set straight. It IS a tradition of the Safari business though. Most PH's , trackers and staff work their butts off for their hunters and the tip often makes a big difference to them.
That said , we hear about the cocky PH or outfitter or game scout expecting ( demanding ) a huge tip , but what about the hunter who wounds his buffalo and his lion. Endangers everyones lives in the follow ups and then tips the trackers with a handful of cheap BIC pens .... Really ? I've seen this happen years ago when I was still a rookie. On one other occasion I had a hunter of a very successful big 4 safari tip the head tracker $ 5 . Admittedly I have only seen this twice in my 20 odd year career and a long time ago. The same tracker is still my no.1 tracker and has saved my life on more than one occasion with his keen observation and almost eerie sixth sense. A fantastic man by any account. He laughs about it now , but I remember it was a huge slap in his face back then. I subsequently taught him that should this ever happen again he should say " thank you " smile . return the money and say "you need it more than I do sir "
It would have been better to give him nothing , but shake his hand and told him he was a man and that you truly appreciated his hard work.
But then again , what do I know ? Wink

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the original question had more to do about a standard for tipping, In this case a PH who owns the concession or reserve, not whether or not you should tip
I think the standard amount (s) for tipping is what everyone is in the dark about
This was taken from an article that Jerome Philippe, founder of AfricaHunting.com wrote:

Tipping Guide from Jerome Philippe

Typical personnel to tip
- Professional Hunter
- Tracker(s)
- Driver
- Skinner
- Cook
- Servers
- Maids
- Laundress

Additional personnel you may need to tip
(all of these personnel may not be a part of your hunting safari)
- Meet and greet
- Lodge/camp manager
- Porter(s)
- Game scout/game guards (they expect to be tipped even though they are government employees)
- Tour guide

Who is it normal to tip and why?
A general guideline for me as to who should receive a tip goes back to something I mentioned earlier: the purpose of a tip is to reward and encourage good service. That being said, I believe anyone directly providing service to you should be tipped, as outlined in the list above. This general rule will help you to clarify when or if an outfitter is asking you to tip personnel that should be salaried workers. If someone is driving, cooking cleaning for me or otherwise involved directly in the hunting they should be tipped, however if they maintain the vehicles, garden, pool or other property they should be considered non service employees that the hunting outfitter should pay.

Tipping guidelines to be wary of
Something that I would be very wary of is an outfitter who supplies a detailed and excessively lengthy list of employees who should be tipped and how much. This list may include non service empolyees and in some cases add up to an unreasonable sum of money, not within the guidelines that we discuss below. It may be hard to know if all of those employees actually exist or it may be a sign that some or all of these employees may not be receiving any salary from the outfitter and their only income is being given to them by you and other hunters. It is hard to know where these unethical practices are occurring so it is important to use your best instincts, if an outfitter seems too pushy or they mandate tipping in any fashion, I would avoid hunting with them.

There is a lot of advice and theories out there regarding how much to tip, which often creates more confusion than actually helping you get a better grasp on a fuzzy subject. I will share with you my method for how I decide how much of a tip to leave and knowing from the other side of the equation how much people really do leave. This method really works for all hunting safaris from a bargain plains game hunting package all the way up to a big five hunting safari.

I base my tip for the Professional Hunter on the total cost of the hunt, daily rate and trophy fees combined, excluding tax. Using that figure, I multiplying it by:

For professional hunter:
5% for an average tip
6% for a better than average tip
7% for a very good tip

I believe that this method works well because it figures in the cost level of the hunt, the number of species you take and allows for you to express your appreciation by giving you the ability to choose the percentage based upon your overall satisfaction.

As for the rest of the hunting team and lodge/camp staff I break it down as follows:

For a typical hunting safari:
Tracker: from $5 to $10 per person/day
Driver: from $5 to $10 per day
Skinner: from $5 to $10 per person/day
Lodge/camp staff: $3 to $5 per person/day

Typical personnel for a basic hunting safari:
Hunting team will usually consist of one to two trackers, one driver who may also double as a tracker, one skinner.
Lodge staff will usually consist of one cook, one server, one to two maids, one laundress. The more high end the lodge the more personnel you can expect.

For a big five or concession camp hunting safari:
Tracker: from $8 to $13 per person/day
Driver: from $5 (average) to $10 (generous) per day
Skinner: from $5 (average) to $10 (generous) per person/day
Porter: from $5 (average) to $10 (generous) per person/day
Lodge/camp staff: $3 (average) to $7 (generous) per person/day

Typical personnel for a big five or concession camp hunting safari:
Hunting team will usually consist of two trackers, one driver who may also work as a third tracker, one porter who may also work as a third tracker, one skinner.
Camp staff will usually consist of one to two cooks, two servers, two maids, two laundress. The more high end the lodge the more personnel you can expect.

Additional personnel you may need to tip
(all of these personnel may not be a part of your hunting safari)
- Meet and greet: a tip should be considered for a service outside of your hunting outfitter
- Lodge/camp manager
- Game scout/game guard: $10 per person/day, some hunters give incentives
- Tour guide

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
I wonder for a first timer from Europe lets say Sweden going to Tanzania for a 21 day hunt and in the end are expected to hand out anything between 5-10K in tip jumping That also after spending +100K on a hunting trip..We are not used to this culture..Why not just raise the day rate...

Fujo I know you guided Swedes and other europeans, any stories you would like to share? It must be a few..

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jan, it would be my guess you bonus that tracker as few thousand dollars each year at Christmas and also at the end of the hunting season so it is at least 7% of your annual revenue.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote