New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steve Shakari knows Lion hunting
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted Hide Post

May be this is the sort of lion that has been advertised.

At least that is the idea one would get from a farm raised lion.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68238 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Nice kitty! Look at all the belly hair back of the elbows…….. I wonder what the genetics are on that big boy?

You really have to watch out for those Dachshunds, they are kind of like little land sharks. Smiler

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1837 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

That seals it!! I'm booking that dachshund hunt I have been dreaming about!!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3515 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
quote:

That seals it!! I'm booking that dachshund hunt I have been dreaming about!!

Who has the best area for SCI Gold dachshund? The one on the right looks a little soft...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10176 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have no issues with calling a spade a spade.

Anywhere and any time.

As for the called-out spades, tough. Harry Truman said it best: If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

All the rest is ridiculous melodrama.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13567 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I think, Steve Shakari know more about the lion issue than rest of us combine
Maybe we just ought to hear him out and listen carefully.
I for one would never hunt farm lion, I think, it goes against every grain of hunters ethics.
Done here and go Steve

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I got a message that AR is not very well liked in certain quarters in South Africa and certain "trophy oriented" quarters in the US!

I suppose the truth can be rather telling sometime.

I have always said it, and I will repeat it here.

I have absolutely nothing against anyone shooting anything that is legal.

But, as my friend Mike above stated, call a spade a spade.

And if that does not fit with your own agenda, tough luck.

Posts: 68238 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Amen.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got a message that AR is not very well liked in certain quarters in South Africa and certain "trophy oriented" quarters in the US!

so you don't think SCI will rent you a booth, Saeed?? rotflmo

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13346 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:

I'm trying to think of what his "mandatory" donation would be. sofa

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7617 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:

I'm trying to think of what his "mandatory" donation would be. sofa

That is easy - a fixed banner on all forum post for SCI travel services.

Maybe Saeed will get an inner circle award too.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
This thread seem to be done and dead?

Let's just give a few - not nearly all, but just a few - facts;

1. The "wilding" period that is legally required varies quite a bit from province to province. There was a lot of speculation about how much a trophy size captive bred and then released lion eats in a year. Fact is that the legal minimum wilding period is 96 hours in North West Province!

2. Some other provinces have significantly longer wilding periods.

Considering the fact that a properly "tranquilized to be transported" lion can still have significant amounts of, let's just call it Vitiman-K, left to be under at least partial sedation after 96 hours. It is very unlikely that such a well-sedated lion will even bother to attempt to catch any prey withing the first 4 days after it's release, i.e. before the Vitamin-K has been fully worked out of it's system!

One more [unsubstantiated by myself - but at least believed to be true] fact: The Free State Province has the biggest lion population in South Africa.

Now I will ask everyone to guess in which one of the South African provinces most of the legal captive bred and released lion shooting is undertaken today? Yup! The North West Province, with it's very short time requirement between the release and shooting!

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:
This thread seem to be done and dead?

Let's just give a few - not nearly all, but just a few - facts;

1. The "wilding" period that is legally required varies quite a bit from province to province. There was a lot of speculation about how much a trophy size captive bred and then released lion eats in a year. Fact is that the legal minimum wilding period is 96 hours in North West Province!

2. Some other provinces have significantly longer wilding periods.

Considering the fact that a properly "tranquilized to be transported" lion can still have significant amounts of, let's just call it Vitiman-K, left to be under at least partial sedation after 96 hours. It is very unlikely that such a well-sedated lion will even bother to attempt to catch any prey withing the first 4 days after it's release, i.e. before the Vitamin-K has been fully worked out of it's system!

One more [unsubstantiated by myself - but at least believed to be true] fact: The Free State Province has the biggest lion population in South Africa.

Now I will ask everyone to guess in which one of the South African provinces most of the legal captive bred and released lion shooting is undertaken today? Yup! The North West Province, with it's very short time requirement between the release and shooting!

Thanks for posting that info Andrew.

Reminds me of what a chap told me once who had worked as a 'guide' on an elk 'hunting preserve'. He said that they would sneak up to a clearing the first morning of the hunt and as they glassed the pen raised bulls he would point at one of them and say, "That's a hell of a bull, I have never seen that one before."

Of course he had not seen the elk before as it had just arrived the previous evening on a truck full of bull elk that had been purchased from another elk ranch and were being released for the next crew of 'hunters'. He thought it was funny as hell………….

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1837 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
I for one would never hunt farm lion, I think, it goes against every grain of hunters ethics.
Done here and go Steve

Agree! tu2 Steve is everything he says he is, and he does know a whole lot about lion hunting, & African hunting in general! I feel the same way about this farmed/canned/zoo lion issue!

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Here's a few examples of why I don't post pics any more AND why I'm against posting videos etc on sites like You Tube.

A more radical example can be found on the document that was posted by Animal Rights Africa entitled Hunting In Africa, A Bloody Mess where well over 50 stolen images of hunters were used...... many of those images were stolen right here from AR. I've got the original PDF document on my computer but it's umpteen pages long so I'm not going to post it but I'd guess there's a live link to it somewhere on the net if anyone has the patience to find it.

http://www.cannedlion.org/

http://www.theguardian.com/env...lions-bred-slaughter

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/cam...ties/canned-hunting/

http://www.occupyforanimals.or...in-south-africa.html

and that's without even considering the commercial aspect where people will steal images for their own websites or other commercial purposes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TANZ-PH:
quote:
Done here and go Steve

Agree! tu2 Steve is everything he says he is, and he does know a whole lot about lion hunting, & African hunting in general! I feel the same way about this farmed/canned/zoo lion issue!

I agree with you. I agree with Steve's thoughts about the "canned" lion hunting. This is not what the thread is about. It is about how that knowledge was communicated.

Posts: 12074 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
quote:
Done here and go Steve

I agree with you. I agree with Steve's thoughts about the "canned" lion hunting. This is not what the thread is about. It is about how that knowledge was communicated.

In fairness I've never been known for my diplomatic skills rotflmo but I do feel very strongly about the issue and as I said, I consider the issue far more important than the risk of offending a few people's finer sensibilities! Wink

I've always believed in calling a spade a spade rather than an earth inverting horticultural implement and whilst I'm sorry if that attitude upsets some people, I don't feel sorry enough for me to change my opinion nor how I express it. Wink

I will say that I don't believe this thread was created or was about how I communicate my opinion at all. I believe it was a deliberate attempt by one or two very chilldish individuals to have a pop at me just because they wanted to.

And I don't give a flying fuck that they question that either! animal rotflmo animal

I am what I am. Nothing more and nothing and less and people can take me as I am or do the other thing. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
quote:
Done here and go Steve

In fairness I've never been known for my diplomatic skills rotflmo but I do feel very strongly about the issue and as I said, I consider the issue far more important than the risk of offending a few people's finer sensibilities! Wink

I've always believed in calling a spade a spade rather than an earth inverting horticultural implement and whilst I'm sorry if that attitude upsets some people, I don't feel sorry enough for me to change my opinion nor how I express it. Wink

I will say that I don't believe this thread was created or was about how I communicate my opinion at all. I believe it was a deliberate attempt by one or two very chilldish individuals to cast doubt on my experience and/or ability.

And I don't give a flying fuck that they question that either! animal rotflmo animal

I am what I am. Nothing more and nothing and less and people can take me as I am or do the other thing. Wink

Hi Steve,
I think it is unfortunate you feel this way. There are fewer and fewer hunting reports going up for just this reason.

It is the forum who suffers. Personally (as you know) I send hunt reports to those whom I know and consider friends. It only takes one troll to disuade many from posting them. And no, I do not think you're a troll.

Take trophy room pics for example. Those who I want to see it, were sent some pics. Last time I posted pictures of my old room, It was pointed out, I was an attention whore. Why? Because I have a trophy room and wanted to share it with the forum. Really no different.

I have read hunting reports in the past, where guys, unknowingly post of illegal activity. I have, more than once, Politely PM'd the person and told him he might consider a slight edit. Problem solved, no-ones offended.

Being offened is a human emotion, some are more tolerent of it than others, but at some point we all decide it just isnt worth it.

I also do appreciate you're unencumbered passion for this. This forum needs new blood, lets encourage it, whenever possible.

Regards,

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3514 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Quite honestly Steve, IMO, if there are fewer reports of 'hunts' of that type, it's probably a good thing because it might mean fewer hunts of that type are going on....... and every report of such a 'hunt' means that some other bugger has been taken for a ride.

You'll never see me criticise any fair chase hunt here or anywhere else. Smiler

I also have to say that in that particular case, I rather suspect it was more bait (as in badly thought out sales pitch) than report.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Quite honestly Steve, IMO, if there are fewer reports of 'hunts' of that type, it's probably a good thing because it might mean fewer hunts of that type are going on....... and every report of such a 'hunt' means that some other bugger has been taken for a ride.

I also have to say that in that particular case, I rather suspect it was more bait (as in badly thought out sales pitch) than report.

Steve,

Many of those who participate in this sort of "hunt" don't really like to post hunt reports.

They just like to have an SCI certified measurer - probably the same crooked PH who has arranged it any way..
So he can his name in some silly book, and be part of some silly inner circle, to have his moment of silly fame!

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I think you are right on with this
Saeed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+ 1..

Posts: 3972 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

archer tu2

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where have I EVER claimed to be an authority on anything?... but I never have and never will, claim to be an authority on anything.

Serious? How about the time the the USF&W threatened to seize my tusk? I asked for this communities help, and your answer was - if I would only read your "book" every thing I need to know would be right there. If I recall, my note to you was "nodding wisely while speaking foolishly". That was the day you went on ignore, right up until today.

But still, I was wondering in the bigger picture why I don't come back to this sight and participate like I used to. I notice the same from many experienced members who just fade away. Mr. sure strike's post resonate so true -
quote:
sure strike: There is a huge difference between freedom of speech and troll control and this place doesn't get it.

I've done multiple African hunts in Zimbabwe, Tanzania and South Africa. They are to important to me to have them trashed via hunt report on AR. It is a shame that we can't have intelligent moderation here as there isn't another site that has the depth of experience and knowledge regarding hunting in general than AR. I come here and I still learn some very useful things from our members it's a valuable site. But the background noise is almost intolerable at times.

There it is. Mr. Shakari, most of your holier than thou quotes are a symptom of a problem. One that goes back to the beginning. Some of Saeed comments, anti american, MS, etc set a tone of that is classless, tuneless, sometimes insulting. Setting the table for a whole lot o intolerable background noise.

I'm out

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Jack,

What happened on your leopard permit thread was I proved that you were supposed to get your import permit BEFORE your hunt rather than after it by posting the link and words of the issuing authority that said exactly that.

At no time did I claim to be an expert but as the link proved, I was right.... just as I'm right when I say that lion 'hunt' was not a hunt but a shoot.... or do you think it really was a wild lion hunt as claimed? animal

Fraid I don't remember your tusk problem at all.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is a huge difference between freedom of speech and troll control and this place doesn't get it.

In my experience, people like to have freedom of speech as long as it is their opinion being considered.

If someone else has another point of view, then it no longer is freedom of speech.

Isn't that what our whole society is suffering from right now?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
There is a huge difference between freedom of speech and troll control and this place doesn't get it.

In my experience, people like to have freedom of speech as long as it is their opinion being considered.

If someone else has another point of view, then it no longer is freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech and moderation are two entirely different concepts.

Roberts Rules of Order and other frameworks exist because they are required to have a fruitful conversation, not to curb free speech.

I don't know of a single popular forum that does not have a written moderation policy but I guess you know something that others don't.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vvreddy:
quote:
quote:

Freedom of speech and moderation are two entirely different concepts.

Roberts Rules of Order and other frameworks exist because they are required to have a fruitful conversation, not to curb free speech.

I don't know of a single popular forum that does not have a written moderation policy but I guess you know something that others don't.

Great point. I participate on two other, non-competing special interest forums. One boating, the other a bicycle racing forum. Both are free wheeling, but are moderated.

There really isn't free speech rights on a privately owned internet forum.

My personal opinion is, the forum would be well served by some moderation. The only moderating I ever see here is members being banned for bad behavior. My opinion isn't really important but I see call out threads and pissing matches on these other forums. They get closed, locked, moved but they never are given the latitude to be so divisive, it seems to me it is for entertainment.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3514 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Steve

So it's a free wheeling bicycle forum is it? animal

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

So do the Carmello's, Katz, Shootaways of the world have differing opinions or are they just making noise? Are they not trying simply to draw negative attention to themselves to the detriment of the community at large?

I have no issue with discourse civil or even uncivil if it has a purpose and a direction. But when a two year old child starts screaming during a conversation that child either needs to be removed from the area or the conversation will by necessity cease. While that child may well also have a right to his or her freedom of speech they do not have a right to a freedom of loud annoying noise that disrupts meaningful communication.

These notorious trolls are like 2 year old children who are simply making noise for purpose of attention and disruption. The simple solution is to quietly and immediately remove them from the area so as to avoid further disruption. The only outcome of leaving the squabbling little brat unattended is a decrease in the exchange of information and communication. Leaving these trolls un moderated causes those multiple page meaningless shit storms that we see all to often on AR.

Put the screaming little brats at the children's table where they belong. It tends to make for more a pleasant conversation.

My opinion only of course.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:
quote:

So do the Carmello's, Katz, Shootaways of the world have differing opinions or are they just making noise? Are they not trying simply to draw negative attention to themselves to the detriment of the community at large?

I have no issue with discourse civil or even uncivil if it has a purpose and a direction. But when a two year old child starts screaming during a conversation that child either needs to be removed from the area or the conversation will by necessity cease. While that child may well also have a right to his or her freedom of speech they do not have a right to a freedom of loud annoying noise that disrupts meaningful communication.

These notorious trolls are like 2 year old children who are simply making noise for purpose of attention and disruption. The simple solution is to quietly and immediately remove them from the area so as to avoid further disruption. The only outcome of leaving the squabbling little brat unattended is a decrease in the exchange of information and communication. Leaving these trolls un moderated causes those multiple page meaningless shit storms that we see all to often on AR.

Put the screaming little brats at the children's table where they belong. It tends to make for more a pleasant conversation.

My opinion only of course.

Extremely well articulated!

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
I used to belong to one site where they took the drastic measure of instituting a policy where no negative comments on hunt reports would be tolerated. Unfortunately, after years of abuse many of the posters were lost and never returned. I like reading the reports and have used them as an important piece of research when looking to book a hunt but totally understand why people don't want to post any more.

Unfortunately there are some on these boards that are far more interested in winning arguments and will stoop to any lengths to win, than they are in having a productive and educational discussion. When someone starts posting about scoring points and wining, I know it's time to walk away. There is a ton of knowledge on this board from a very unique group of hunters but often it gets lots in the desire to win an internet argument. Time to step away from the computer and reevaluate your participation at that point.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
When someone starts posting about scoring points and wining, I know it's time to walk away. There is a ton of knowledge on this board from a very unique group of hunters but often it gets lots in the desire to win an internet argument. Time to step away from the computer and reevaluate your participation at that point.

quote:
I reckon I'm well ahead on points but here's another if you're as fed up with me quoting ad hominem as I am of having to quote it because you can't win any other way:

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
― Socrates

jumping

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Frostbit,

Answer me this. Do you believe that lion hunt was a wild lion hunt as claimed in the original post?

Yes or no?

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Frostbit,

Answer me this. Do you believe that lion hunt was a wild lion hunt as claimed in the original post?

Yes or no?

If by "wild" you mean a Lion born in a free-ranging pride never relying on humans for sustenance I would say it's unlikely.

That said I wasn't there so my statement is based on speculation.

This thread isn't about whether that Lion was "wild".

This thread is about you posting and criticizing someone's hunt on their shared hunt report.

Apparently if you would be able to remove the "me" (meaning you) from the topic and forget about "points and winning" you may come to realize that what I started this thread for in the first place was to point out that fewer and fewer hunt reports will be posted because of actions like yours.

Now you can and probably will turn this back to your crusade to ban pen raised Lion hunting but again that's not what it's about.

You don't like the practice. We all get that. Some don't like any high fenced hunting and would never partake anywhere. Look through the hunt reports and you will find some "snide" type remarks even about a Sable hunt in Zambia because the property is fenced.

You crapped on the guy's hunt report Steve. My opinion and we will leave it at that. Now Quid Pro Quo.

I answered your yes or no questions here's one for you.

As I mentioned you can find other emotional opinion statements on hunt reports that are not about pen raised Lions. I pointed out one example.

Do you think when folks like you disrespectfully crap on a hunt report that the number of hunt reports will diminish?

Yes to No?

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I mean Do you believe that lion hunt was a wild lion hunt as claimed in the original post?

To help you, his original words were:

"in brief, Lion was a wild lion taken from game reserve due to bad attitude i.e. fighting other lions, charging vehicles, and killing to many animals"

Do you believe that was a truthful description of the 'hunt'.

Yes or no....... nothing else. No preaching, no lecturing, just a yes or no answer?

Then I'll be happy to address your question(s)

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
I mean Do you believe that lion hunt was a wild lion hunt as claimed in the original post?

To help you, his original words were:

"in brief, Lion was a wild lion taken from game reserve due to bad attitude i.e. fighting other lions, charging vehicles, and killing to many animals"

Do you believe that was a truthful description of the 'hunt'.

Yes or no....... nothing else. No preaching, no lecturing, just a yes or no answer?

Then I'll be happy to address your question (s)

No

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
We will await Steve's answer, but let me predict it's substance. He was doing the hunting community a great public service. Were it not for him being willing to step up and call bullshit, there were many lambs waiting to be led astray. You see most folks that hunt lion really have no appreciation for the difference between a captive bred lion hunt and a wild lion hunt. So if one hunter sharing a report that reflects their memory of a wonderful experience has to called out and shouted down, so be it. Rather than be condemned, he should be rewarded for his bravery and candor in taking the steps necessary to preserve hunting for centuries to come.

You see with Steve he does not see it as anything related to civility, manners, finding the right way to tee up a discussion of a legitimate issue, or anything like that. It is completely lost on him the distinction between what the message is and how the message is delivered. Pity really.

Mike

Posts: 21520 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
In that case, I was right to do what I did..... but before you reply to that statement, do me the favour of going back and carefully re-reading my first few posts.

You'll find I wasn't kaking on him at all but what I was doing was making it clear that the original claims were kak as indeed we both agree they were.

Then use a bit of logic and think about what might have happened if no one had called the original claims into question?

Other members, especially new or innocent ones might read the post and buy similar deals.

Then factor in the fact he's an agent and stop to think for a while what those factors when combined could mean? Note, I'not suggesting what definitely is, just what could possibly be.

As for number of hunt reports, just bear in mind that I've never criticised a fair chase hunt report in my life. I don't care about horn length if it's a real hunt and would have a lot more respect for someone who had shot a small, young truly wild lion than someone who had shot the biggest, hairiest, most MGM like tame lion in the universe.

In my opinion, it'd be a bloody good thing if we never saw a single hunt report of a hunt such as was originally described ever again because it might firstly mean fewer such hunts being sols and secondly it's less ammo passed to the antis to beat us over the head with.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Saeed: Well said, Sir! tu2