THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    my accidental cow video-the jealousy thread
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

my accidental cow video-the jealousy thread
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:
2 Facts here

1/ George is certainly not handicapped in any way- infact he runs a pretty successful little business.

2/If you are hunting Dangerous game and hunting them properly ie tracking them on foot through rough and thick terrain your muzzle is going to sweep someone sometime be it the PH or tracker. Thats a simple fact. What we have to do make sure that that safe is always on and try and limit those sweeps to a bear minimum.

Buzz,
That is exactly my point, It's like getting caught picking your nose. Everyone does it, just try to not get caught at it.

Both you and Fairgame, (Andrew) have made the same comment about "sweeps".

Walking in line twisting turning looking, ducking it is bound to happen. As long as there is complete "muzzle awareness" it is kept to an absolute minimum.

It's easy to be critical in a crowd, against an easy target.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3549 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
1/ George is certainly not handicapped in any way- infact he runs a pretty successful little business.

So he just acts like a retarded sociopath for fun then?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:

Did you ever think, He is just a bit different than others? How about a bit of tolerance?

Honestly, I'd rather share a camp with George than most of his detractors in this thread.

This has shown me what a bunch of sourpuss old ladies this sport has in it.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3549 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:

That is exactly my point, It's like getting caught picking your nose. Everyone does it, just try to not get caught at it.

The above comments and those by Buzz are refreshingly realistic and evenhanded.

I have relayed this story before but...I was on a hunt once and raised my rifle to fire while standing three feet behind and five feet to the left of my PH. He freaked. Of course, three days prior I had fired successfully at game but two seconds later a backup shot from 25 feet behind me and no more than 5 feet to my right had come whistling over my shoulder. Lots more margin for error in the latter circumstance but he would never have admitted it! To see Buzz note that "sweeping" is an inevitability is to me a sign of real professionalism.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Did you ever think, He is just a bit different than others? How about a bit of tolerance?

Honestly, I'd rather share a camp with George than most of his detractors in this thread.

That has the makings of a Group hunt mate.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9962 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
quote:

I have relayed this story before but...I was on a hunt once and raised my rifle to fire while standing three feet behind and five feet to the left of my PH. He freaked. Of course, three days prior I had fired successfully at game but two seconds later a backup shot from 25 feet behind me and no more than 5 feet to my right had come whistling over my shoulder. Lots more margin for error in the latter circumstance but he would never have admitted it! To see Buzz note that "sweeping" is an inevitability is to me a sign of real professionalism.

The other alternative is to not load your gun until you are going to shoot. I am quite adamant about that.

It is very rare that the careful closing of a bolt will disturb game.

Doubles are different but then again no need to load till you are amongst them.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
quote:

The other alternative is to not load your gun until you are going to shoot. I am quite adamant about that.

If I was hunting on a game farm, I might load my rifle just before shooting.

But, walking in the bush where one might come across any one of the dangerous game hunted, I would rather have my rifle chambered with the safety on.

In fact, every time we have been on safari in both Tanzania and Zimbabwe. We chamber a round as soon as we leave the truck.

And our rifles remain loaded until we shoot something, stop for a drink or food, or return to the truck.

This goes for both me and my PH.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68702 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
2 Facts here

2/If you are hunting Dangerous game and hunting them properly ie tracking them on foot through rough and thick terrain your muzzle is going to sweep someone sometime be it the PH or tracker. Thats a simple fact. What we have to do make sure that that safe is always on and try and limit those sweeps to a bear minimum.

Here is the fact. He did it on camera and then said he didn't. That has bugger all to do with how anyone else waives their gun about.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is why people should leave cartridges out of chambers when following someone. I will NOT hunt with anyone anymore who has a hot chamber while sauntering around looking for game. I have had no less than three different people accidentally discharge their firearm within a couple of feet of my face while hunting with the safety on. No thanks. And these nostalgic doubles are joke in any tourists hands.

These hunters who bumble around putting rifles on sticks but can't chamber a round while doing so ought to take up knitting instead of hunting.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
quote:
quote:

But, walking in the bush where one might come across any one of the dangerous game hunted, I would rather have my rifle chambered with the safety on.

In fact, every time we have been on safari in both Tanzania and Zimbabwe. We chamber a round as soon as we leave the truck.

And our rifles remain loaded until we shoot something, stop for a drink or food, or return to the truck.

I 100% agree. This isn't rabbit hunting. It is easy to bump into something that might take great exception to you invading their territory.

I am not going into DG territory without a loaded gun.

Should I do something unsafe,I should catch holy hell for it. No doubt there are plenty of dumb asses carrying guns. I don't want to risk my life because some dumb ass can't safely handle a gun.

Honestly, I have to say that I have had guns pointed at me by PH's in Africa more than anywhere else. Often while hanging the stock or barrel under their arm while glassing. I ain't shy about bringing it up.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hi Andrew,
Where's the fun in that? I'm sure I've picked my nose in front of you. Smiler

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hi Andrew,

Then let us try and find one more nose picker.

Best

Andrew

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I 100% agree. This isn't rabbit hunting. It is easy to bump into something that might take great exception to you invading their territory.

Should I do something unsafe,I should catch holy hell for it. No doubt there are plenty of dumb asses carrying guns. I don't want to risk my life because some dumb ass can't safely handle a gun.

Larry - You're spot on as usual. I've actually been fully charged by a completely un-wounded, not shot at buffalo, even have it on film too. Good thing the PH and I already had our guns loaded, and a bullet in the chamber!!! The outcome might have been gravely different if we were both fiddling with our guns, rather than shooting the buffalo in the noodle? faint

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hi Andrew,

Then let us try and find one more nose picker.

Best

Andrew

God gave us our face, but he lets us pick our nose.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Page 10 is getting closer.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am thinking about a trip to TZ several years ago. We were walking through the bush near some river. All of a sudden a tracker said , "he is here." I was puzzled for about 3 seconds before a hippo bull jumped up less than 10 yards from us and headed our way. Glad I didn't have the chamber empty.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No shit!!!!

Bird hunting is excellent training with safety off only when the act of shooting is occuring. 2nd nature.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I'm with Larry: I'd be dead with an unloaded rifle... me thinks.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7696 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
This is why people should leave cartridges out of chambers when following someone. I will NOT hunt with anyone anymore who has a hot chamber while sauntering around looking for game. I have had no less than three different people accidentally discharge their firearm within a couple of feet of my face while hunting with the safety on. No thanks. And these nostalgic doubles are joke in any tourists hands.

These hunters who bumble around putting rifles on sticks but can't chamber a round while doing so ought to take up knitting instead of hunting.

Funny that.

As I have never had anyone have an accidental discharge while hunting.

We have had many accidental discharges here in the range, but that has always been with people unfamiliar with a particular rifle that has a very light match trigger.

And it has always happened while the rifle is on the bench pointing down range.

So there never was any likelihood of any danger.

Posts: 68702 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Saeed, not African hunting but American, and I have experienced about a half dozen accidental discharges from clients. Luckily no one was hurt, but from experience in the field, an accidental discharge, no matter where the bullet goes, does tend to put a damper on the fun and thrill of a stalk.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Saeed, not African hunting but American, and I have experienced about a half dozen accidental discharges from clients. Luckily no one was hurt, but from experience in the field, an accidental discharge, no matter where the bullet goes, does tend to put a damper on the fun and thrill of a stalk.

I do know some PHs who have instructed their clients to unload their rifles and only load them when ready to shoot due to their bad gun handling actions.

The most reason mentioned is playing with the safety.

Why would anyone do that I have no idea.

The safety on my rifle sits by my thump. And I find myself checking it continuously to make sure it is on while walking in the bush.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have personally had one. It scared the hell out of me.

Someone handed me a loaded gun. I pointed it in a safe direction and took the safety off to unload it and BAM! I never touched the trigger.

This model gun was subject to a recall for guess what? Firing when the safety was taken off.

The world if full of dumb asses. Look at the genius last year in Zim that out the barrel of his 500 NE on his foot and pulled the trigger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Honestly, I have to say that I have had guns pointed at me by PH's in Africa more than anywhere else. Often while hanging the stock or barrel under their arm while glassing. I ain't shy about bringing it up.

+2 On a game farm it is fine to walk around without a round in the chamber. However DG territory is very different. I was recently in the Caprivi for a Ele/Buff hunt. We were constantly bumping into elephant cows with calfs, and buffalo were always around. On several evenings we had some exciting hunts while looking for bushbuck in the thick bush.

I am amazed at how silently elephants can move in the sandy soil of the Caprivi. One day while the trackers were off fetching a canoe, three of us were sitting on a log taking a water break. I look up and see a big elephant cow walking toward us only 10 yards away. At that point we stood up, and then see her calf is even closer to us... only about 5 yards aways. The elephant cow was just as shocked to see us, as we were to see her. Fortunately, the cow and calf immediately ran away, but if she had taken exception to us being so close to her calf, I would not have wanted to be fumbling around trying to load a double rifle.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again, I have 0 experience in Africa, but from my experience, a guide and probably a PH, is so wrapped up in getting their client set up for a shot, that they really don't pay a lot of attention to what is going on behind them during a stalk. Their concentration is focused on trying to get the client a shot, and are seriously hoping their client has the experience and intelligence to know how to properly handle their gun during such a situation.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Funny that.

We have had many accidental discharges here in the range, but that has always been with people unfamiliar with a particular rifle that has a very light match trigger.

It's hardly funny. To be fair though keep in mind I grew up on a ranch in Alberta. I've been carrying a center fire rifle since I was 13 and my friends and I carried our rifles more in a year or two than most people do in a life time of hunting.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:

no way in hell i would "saunter" around Africa( other than a fenced game farm) without a round in the chamber. too many close calls. if you have had 3 people try to deafen you accidentally, you need better hunting companions....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13408 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's hardly funny. To be fair though keep in mind I grew up on a ranch in Alberta. I've been carrying a center fire rifle since I was 13 and my friends and I carried our rifles more in a year or two than most people do in a life time of hunting.

Unfortunately, there in lies the problem. Daily, I have two center-fire rifles, one .22 LR and a shotgun, all loaded all the time in the pick up I drive while working.

In the 40+ years I have been hunting, I can remember only two accidental discharges that I was responsible for, luckily no one was hurt and only one of them happened when another person was present.

It is when someone that does not or may not have the daily handling of guns gets into a tight situation that things go wobbly.

The deal is, as Nganga pointed out, how would ANY of the rest of us look if being filmed during an intense stalk, especially for DG, and I can only imagine the pressure involved during such a moment as I have never hunted any DG.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

Unfortunately, there in lies the problem. Daily, I have two center-fire rifles, one .22 LR and a shotgun, all loaded all the time in the pick up I drive while working.

In the 40+ years I have been hunting, I can remember only two accidental discharges that I was responsible for, luckily no one was hurt and only one of them happened when another person was present.

It is when someone that does not or may not have the daily handling of guns gets into a tight situation that things go wobbly.

The deal is, as Nganga pointed out, how would ANY of the rest of us look if being filmed during an intense stalk, especially for DG, and I can only imagine the pressure involved during such a moment as I have never hunted any DG.

I'll tell you exactly how the rest of us would look, Like George.

Like I said, I looked at hunt reports, including some video's. I "saved" about 7 pictures and one video.

I could do a "Best of Sweeps" thread and get a bunch of people's attention.

I encourage others to do the same. It would be enlightening.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am willing to bet if one looks at the hunt report pictures there will be a lot of surprises as to where the barrels are pointing. In fact, I know so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also looked at Mike Jines cow charge video. I was impressed as hell, even in the heat of an elephant charge, Mikes muzzle awareness is impressive to say the least.

He instinctively raises his muzzle every single time he needs to pass it past someone.

Formerly "Nganga"

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:

no way in hell i would "saunter" around Africa( other than a fenced game farm) without a round in the chamber. too many close calls...

It's amazing anyone gets out of there alive.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

no way in hell i would "saunter" around Africa( other than a fenced game farm) without a round in the chamber. too many close calls...

Hyperbole?

Mike

Posts: 21706 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have to remember to rubberneck here. Roll Eyes
The sweetness and sensitivity angle has entered the wormhole and emerged in Bizarro World, the alternative universe where anything can happen. To psychoanalyze that twist will require the "Freudian Hillbilly" school of psychoanalytic thought. Therapy is simple: Corncob extraction.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Funny that.

I grew up in South Louisiana. I started running traplines and duck hunting with my father when I was kindergarden. Back then, we had a 70 day duck season, and a similarly long deer season. I had a couple seasons, where I duck hunted over 60 days. We also hunted deer, hogs, alligators, rabbits, doves, quail, geese, predators, snakes, blackbirds..... We were in the field a lot with some type of firearm. During all those years of hunting with family and friends, we NEVER had a single accidental discharge. Our fathers and grandfathers drilled it into our heads..."You can't unshoot that rifle". However, when I was 15 years old, I started guiding duck hunts at a big private hunting lodge, and was introduced to the accidental discharge. The lodge was owned by 5 wealthy businessmen that utilized the lodge extensively for business entertainment. Consequently some of the hunters had little to no experience hunting. Furthermore, some had little to no desire to even hunt. They were simply there for business, (i.e. negotiate contracts, resolve problems, and kiss ass), and not to hunt. I had several mornings where I had to teach my sport hunter how to load his borrowed beretta semi-automatic shotgun in the duck blind before sunrise. In the 8 seasons I worked as a duck hunting guide, I saw at least a dozen AD's. I had one sport blow a hole in the bottom of an aluminum boat, and another shoot a hole into a fiberglass duck blind. You'd be amazed at how casual the "hunters" would be about their AD,..like oopps sorry. And it wasn't just AD's. One morning I stepped out of the blind to pick up a pintail drake one of the sports had shot . As I got to within about 10 feet of the duck it started swimming off. Then one of my sports in the blind, shoots at the wounded duck. Then it was ooppps sorry...I'll pay you for the waders.

I look back on that and just cringe. I was young, stupid and loved to hunt,...really loved getting paid to hunt. The tips were great, and I got to hunt nearly every day. It was a lot more fun than bagging groceries or flipping burgers, but I would NEVER do it again.

It can dangerous enough on the hunt being around people that actually love to hunt, but the disinterested hunters are the worse.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

no, it's amazing the number of things in Africa that will kill you- it ain't Alberta

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13408 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was considering joining a private club in north Fl in 2010. I went to visit. I did a morning quail hunt followed by a afternoon hog hunt. I was sent off with a cracker called little Randy. Trust me, he wasn't little but big Randy was a whole lot bigger.

I got the obligatory safety talk before we started on the birds. Off we went. Shortly thereafter, the dogs pointed. The quail flushed, pretty much in my face, and flew behind me. I looked around and little Randy had hit the ground. I had never even lifted my gun. I told Randy, "Brother, I ain't gonna shoot you over a quail, I promise. A pheasant maybe but never a quail." Well Randy started laughing then proceeded to tell stories that weren't so funny.

I think Tx Blue Devil has it spot on.

I am very particular about my guns and even more so about gun safety. I recon being shot by some coon asses when I was in college got my attention. I don't want to do that to anyone else.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
George is certainly not handicapped in any way- infact he runs a pretty successful little business.

Im sure alot of sensible business owners would be rather unimpressed if employees in say a heavy engineering shop,
showed regular careless-blatant disregard for workplace safety.
Yet some of those same 'successful' business owners who are strict on their employees,
then go hunting and themselves show regular blatant disregard for safety with firearms.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I do know some PHs who have instructed their clients to unload their rifles and only load them when ready to shoot due to their bad gun handling actions.

The most reason mentioned is playing with the safety.

Why would anyone do that I have no idea.

A client can show regular foolish disregard for firearm safety, A client can also be a lousy hopeless shot,...[or sadly both.. Big Grin]
One is inviting trouble and much higher potential for catastrophe by accept those types as clients.

but they all still pay money to hunt, hence they are all still catered for by the PH.
...even if it means they make the hopeless client carry an empty gun.
If the dangerous high risk-hazard client is happy to accept that, they can still get his business.

Saeed,

as I recall you would never hunt with Mark Sullivan because of the way he conducts himself.

Q./ Would you hunt with Shootaway?
Q./ Would you hunt with anyone who has shot a PH?

bear in mind, MS is NOT on record for poor gun safety or disastrously shooting another person.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:

Q./ Would you hunt with anyone who has shot a PH?

Truth is, these people might be the safest to hunt with. I had an AD in 1994 (no one hurt, thank God) and not a damn thing in this world will train you to check the chamber EVERY single time like throwing a .357 diameter bullet across a retail establishment! It's the guys who have NOT had ADs who are going to be, on average more careless.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:
However, when I was 15 years old, I started guiding duck hunts at a big private hunting lodge, and was introduced to the accidental discharge. The lodge was owned by 5 wealthy businessmen that utilized the lodge extensively for business entertainment. Consequently some of the hunters had little to no experience hunting. Furthermore, some had little to no desire to even hunt. They were simply there for business, (i.e. negotiate contracts, resolve problems, and kiss ass), and not to hunt. I had several mornings where I had to teach my sport hunter how to load his borrowed beretta semi-automatic shotgun in the duck blind before sunrise. In the 8 seasons I worked as a duck hunting guide, I saw at least a dozen AD's. I had one sport blow a hole in the bottom of an aluminum boat, and another shoot a hole into a fiberglass duck blind. You'd be amazed at how casual the "hunters" would be about their AD,..like oopps sorry. And it wasn't just AD's. One morning I stepped out of the blind to pick up a pintail drake one of the sports had shot . As I got to within about 10 feet of the duck it started swimming off. Then one of my sports in the blind, shoots at the wounded duck. Then it was ooppps sorry...I'll pay you for the waders.

I look back on that and just cringe. I was young, stupid and loved to hunt,...really loved getting paid to hunt. The tips were great, and I got to hunt nearly every day. It was a lot more fun than bagging groceries or flipping burgers, but I would NEVER do it again.

It can dangerous enough on the hunt being around people that actually love to hunt, but the disinterested hunters are the worse.

Theres a whole hunting industry in Africa ready and waiting to accept payment from such cashed-up businessmen,
who have no real sensible focus on hunting or firearm safety.
The industry caters to every potential whim and weakness of the client.