THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Hunt Report Of Our Safari In The Selous With Alan Vincent 2013
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunt Report Of Our Safari In The Selous With Alan Vincent 2013
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Incredible photo's!! Thanks for sharing. tu2

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all that shared this safari with the rest of us.
Hopefully I will have just returned from my Zim safari when next years party breaks out.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We are back home with our families.

At least Walter and I are.

We left Tony, Roy and Rene at Dubai International Airport last night, to continue their journey to their respective homes.

I have started preparing my Hunt Report on the plane from Dar, and will start posting parts as I finish them.

Thank you all for participating in this adventure with us here on AR.

I have a bag full of CF and SD cards with videos from various cameras, in addition to the hunting videos.

We took a number of GoPro Hero 3 cameras, and Garry took some interesting videos with them.

We also had a Phantom Quadrucopter - it is a small drone that carries a GoPro Hero 3 camera.

We had lots of fun with this too.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67485 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shukran

Posts: 72 | Location: Annapolis MD | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have had requests to add some details to the photos posted above.

So you might wish to look at them again.

It will probably take me a while to do all the photos though.

Posts: 67485 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boerbokrib
posted Hide Post
Thank You Saeed for all the hard work so we can share in your pleasure. Really appreciate it.

Posts: 291 | Location: Sourh Africa | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Outstanding photo's, some of the best ever! Thank you Saeed!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

We got the idea of cooking a buffalo from the inhabitants of the Pacific islands.

Where they cook their pigs in banana leaves.

Here we are preparing to cook a whole cape buffalo.

It took 28 hours of very slow cooking for it to get ready.

The taste was some of the best buffalo meat we have ever eaten.

Walter and Rene would not tell us what spices they added.

I know Rene bought quite a lot of spices when she was here.

One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
yuckrotflmo

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

As ever, you did a wonderful job sharing your safari with us

Cant wait to see the videos

Posts: 76 | Location: INDIA | Registered: 27 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Silly me, I though that the above photo was a pit trap that you caught the buffalo in.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12604 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have started adding video clips of our safari, linked on the opening post of this thread for your convenience and enjoyment.

All video clips and a complete Hunt Report will also be linked on this page.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Cannot thank you enough for all the your time sharing with us your safari.

The best,

Mike tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have added a few videos at the beginning of this thread.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

We got the idea of cooking a buffalo from the inhabitants of the Pacific islands.

Where they cook their pigs in banana leaves.

Here we are preparing to cook a whole cape buffalo.

It took 28 hours of very slow cooking for it to get ready.

The taste was some of the best buffalo meat we have ever eaten.

Walter and Rene would not tell us what spices they added.

I know Rene bought quite a lot of spices when she was here.

LOL Hope the cruiser didn't get stuck despite all the branches Wink

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Mich,

We managed not to get stuck while loading and carrying our animals.

Trouble was we did get stuck in the mud many times.

In fact, I think we had only 2-3 days of normal Selous sunshine while we were there.

The rest of the time we had mostly cloudy days with spattering of rain.

Some of the areas had that horrible black mud which water will no penetrate. It becomes like a suction cup for the truck.

I have plenty of video showing that which I will post here.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
What leaves did you end up using? Those don't look like banana leaves. rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Just gotta love these live reports.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9907 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Mich,

We managed not to get stuck while loading and carrying our animals.

Trouble was we did get stuck in the mud many times.

In fact, I think we had only 2-3 days of normal Selous sunshine while we were there.

The rest of the time we had mostly cloudy days with spattering of rain.

Some of the areas had that horrible black mud which water will no penetrate. It becomes like a suction cup for the truck.

I have plenty of video showing that which I will post here.

That sure is an amazing difference from the weather we had last year at the exact same time (35deg C and sunny)!

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Walter was telling us how they load live bulls in trucks in Chile.

He was daring us to do the same with a cape buffalo bull.

He changed his mind when we told him he has to show us, as we have no experience of doing that1

He kept scratching his head and muttering "Hmp, I have to think about that"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Caught me off guard to read the hunt is over.
Gosh, figured it would last another month at least.
Many thanks for sharing all the fun and hunting with us.
B Nelson, I want to thank you for explaining who this joker Walter is. That's impressive. Now we'll all look at him with much more respect than when in the dress. Thanks again for that.

Saeed, JDollar and a couple others check your pm's.
Enjoy being home, all of you.

Fantastic hunt stories and pictures. Can't thank you enough for sharing with us.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have started posting detailed hunt report on the opening page of this thread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Caught me off guard to read the hunt is over.
Gosh, figured it would last another month at least.
Many thanks for sharing all the fun and hunting with us.
B Nelson, I want to thank you for explaining who this joker Walter is. That's impressive. Now we'll all look at him with much more respect than when in the dress. Thanks again for that.

Saeed, JDollar and a couple others check your pm's.
Enjoy being home, all of you.

Fantastic hunt stories and pictures. Can't thank you enough for sharing with us.
George

Georgeld,

Thank you for your words and for seeing Walter differently. Now that you undressed him you need to treat him like an onion...one layer at the time! hahahaha

I´d like to thank Saeed for sharing the experiences and pictures, which are better and better as the years go by. The same with the videos which I have already downloaded and enjoyed.

Hugs to everyone!

Nelson Balladares

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am processing our video footage, and came across Tony with his rifle ready on the shooting sticks, and Dillon behind him watching a herd of buffalo feeding.

Dillon had a grass stick, which he kept tickling Tony's ears with, and Tony thinking it was a fly.

When Dillon needs his hand to look through his binoculars, he put the grass stick on Tony's hat, and then repeats the fly trick rotflmo clap

One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Excellent photos and reports.

I would like to know which rifle Alan uses? The muzzle looks pretty big in the videos. I am guessing it is a .458 Lott?

Best-
Locksley,R

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 795 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is Alan using a 450 Vincent built by Roy? Or the 450 Ackley?
IIRC, they had both in 2010.

Funniest caption: "Walter is giving Dillon instructions on walking."
Something about "Not too fast or far?"

Great reports. Videos too, the "trailers." clap

Love this picture of the hard bosses with tree bark rubs:

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nelson:
You guys are the ones that undressed Walter I sure wasn't in on it.

Last night the zebra fat vid wouldn't open at all. Tonight much improvement. Said it'd take 2hr9min. I'll just let it run til I'm ready for bed and see if it's done or not.
May end up having to wait til the sticks are mailed out to watch 'em.

No matter the camp, or where the hunt in. There's got to be a Joker in the crowd somewhere. Might even be a horse thinking he could buck hard enough to dump his rider in the ice cold crik water but, there WILL be a Joker
somewhere, count on it>

Thanks much,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
George,

Use your mouse to right-click on the file and save it to your computer.

Or better still, get yourself a download manager, it will speed the download process.

There are many available free on the Net.

I am using Internet Download Manager, and it works great. But this one you have to pay for.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
More videos have been added.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I would like some feedback from those who have downloaded the videos and seen them.

What is your opinion of the quality?

One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
Just this minute watched the zebra skinning and it was super sharp and clear with good sound. Anxious to watch them all. Thank you for this sharing!

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Questions have been raised on why I have changed the scope on one rifle.

I heard so much about NIGHTFORCE, I thought I will try one.

Also, I was hoping for a little more magnification than the n8 power I have on the Leupold 2.5-8, for those long distance shots.

We tried looking through both scopes just before sunset with Roy, and sadly were disappointed not to see any difference whatsoever between the old Leupold and the new Nightforce.

In fact, it seems the Leupold had a slightly wider view when set at 8 than the Nightforce set at the same power.

Walter loved the Nightforce, so I will keep it on the second rifle, and will keep my old Leupold on my own rifle.

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
The Leopold is a great scope. "If it's not broke, don't fix it"

If it does break, you can also consider the rugged little Nikon 3-9 'Inline' with 5" eye-relief. Not that you need to worry about eyerelief, but some of your guest shooters may appreciate the 5" buffer.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of the pictures have an unpleasant yellow-greenish tone to them.This has been the case for the last 3??? trips.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Some of the pictures have an unpleasant yellow-greenish tone to them.This has been the case for the last 3??? trips.

This is the first that I have heard of anyone not seeing the photos correctly.

If you are experiencing this, you might need to check your monitor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great movie's Saeed, I think the quality is just great, thanks for sharing Smiler

Terje Kvestad

Posts: 59 | Location: Kongsberg ,Norway | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Just on Saeeds NightForce. Having ever only used cheapie Bushnell scopes, I really liked the NightForce. It's good looking, trim and the reticle, I thought, made for easy use. I used the 10 power to get my first buff as it allowed me to see through the bush it was standing behind, and we weren't that far away from them. It certainly cured me of my open sight fetish I have at the moment. Big Grin

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7996 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Friend Saeed,

You cannot trust that shootaway is not toxic on psychotropic medication, thus his color vision problem.
All pictures great here.

All the videos worked great except video "buffalo2" gave a mediaplayer error message at 10:19, i.e., did not play the last second of the 10:20 (10min20sec) video. Just thought you would like to know. nilly

Proof of life on the videos:

buffalo1: 8:02
There is an abrupt transition from initial video-glassing of the herd to the walk-up for the insurance shot. No killshot captured on video. If cameraman fell asleep, I can understand that, especially if he was jet-lagged, ZZZ ... Things got better fast.

buffalo2: Great shot placement video and shooting stick technique. Now using bamboo tripod shooting sticks as Alan got tired of carrying the 2x2 timber bipod. Saeed grips the forearm of the rifle ahead of the point where it rests in the shooting sticks crotch. Very good technique. tu2
After shot: Cameraman turns camera skyward as if thanking God, captures video of flying birds. No insurance shot required. Video ends abruptly at 10:19 looking at lion wound on back of the buffalo. Bad wound, likely would have become septic. Mercy killing. Lost last second of this gory view. barf

buffalo3: 8:37
Great shot placement video. Lots of video glassing of the herd after the death bellows began, buffalo herd looks toward the out-of-sight bellower for a long while before they run off ... interesting to watch ...

eland: 10:16
Great eland bull ambushed just as he was starting to get frisky with a cow.
Quarter mile away? First shot was a foot below vitals into left upper leg. Subsequent shots into chest and neck after Saeed got his Tennessee Elevation figured?

hyena: 2:42
Another quarter mile shot? background audio while inspecting the kill: "Well done Saeed, nice flinch with the first shot, thought you were going to bend your trigger." Apparently Saeed did remember to push the safety forward and made a one-shot kill after practice flinching on the hyena with his safety on?

kudu1: 6:08
Impressive kudu-across-the-valley-and-through-the-timber one-shot kill. tu2

kudu2: 1:50
Outer Circle Club Kudu. tu2

lunchwithhippos: 5:13
Hippo asleep on his feet with nose in the sand finally lies down in the sand for a midday siesta. Natural history at its finest.

waterbuck: 8:36
Cameraman got wobbly and out of focus just in time for the shot placement to be obscured. Confused Otherwise ... "royal" waterbuck. tu2

wildebeast: 5:17
Nice wildebeest. Well done all. tu2

zebrafat: 5:33
Fascinating Wink look at a zebra fat-storage anomalie that apparently does not detract from the good juju potential for the local witchdoctor's use in folk medicine. animal

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding.

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
RIP,

Sadly. sometimes the video camera is not ready when things happen on our hunts.

We hunt, and take a video of our hunts.

We don't go with a prepared story line and make a video to fit it.

So on many occasions, things happen when the video camera is not ready, or the camera man is in the wrong place.

WE are using Canon XF305 video cameras, which use CF cards for storage.

WE use CF cards of 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB.

It seems the camera takes longer to come on line after being switched on and ready to shoot the larger the CF card is.

Some shots did not even get videoed, as the camera was not ready.

We are trying to find a way to make the animals co-operate in this, but we are not having much success so far. clap

Also, the position of the camera sometimes make it impossible to see what is being hunted - look at the kudu for instance.

In fact, I only saw him pass through a small gap following a cow when I shot him. That could not have lasted more than a couple of seconds.