THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Hunt Report Of Our Safari In The Selous With Alan Vincent 2013
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunt Report Of Our Safari In The Selous With Alan Vincent 2013
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed:
I don't see how you can afford to do all this and just donate it to so many of us. You're more than exceptionala and for sure mightily appreciated.

I'd like to ask a couple questions about your bullets. Partly because I'm about to try my hand at turning some on the lathe.

Whats the width and depth of the grooves? For a .375 bullet, what length did you end up with? Just to give me an idea where to start is all.

What bases and rings do you use on the kickers you do have scopes on? I'm restarting a build for a .358 U/M again. Sure looks like someone stole that one I was working on the stock for. It was nearly completed except finish work and chambering. Damned disgusting for sure.

Many thanks,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5971 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Saeed:

I'd like to ask a couple questions about your bullets. Partly because I'm about to try my hand at turning some on the lathe.

Whats the width and depth of the grooves? For a .375 bullet, what length did you end up with? Just to give me an idea where to start is all.

George

Ignore the hollowpoint depth on this drawing.
Only Saeed knows what the current specs are,
but I got one bullet from Saeed and sent it to John at Bridger Bullets to copy, ~10 years ago,
changed since then:

If you can read toothpicks, this pic shows depth of hollowpoint on top toothpick (round, wooden),
and width of hollowpoint on bottom toothpick (flat,plastic, from a Swiss Army Knife)
recorded in the Tanzanian bush camp, in 2010, left my calipers at home:

End-on view of the hollowpoint opening:

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks RIP:
Didn't expect a print of it all.
Not as many nor as wide as I thought.
Sure looks like they worked fine.

Whats the silver coating?
I'll make a copy of this for my files.

Had been thinking of having the end of a 1/2" sq bit ground with grooves near a 1/16" for both grooves and lands. From this it looks like that would work fine too but these are not as big as I had in mind. Doubt it matters too much., Though its good to see what has already worked great for the same desired use.

Do you know if they tried brass too? OR just the copper these are made of? Wonder how the two metals compare for results.

Looks like the hollow point was drilled with a center drill. That makes it easy to do. I have a handful of them in many sizes.
Thanks again,
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5971 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
George,

The coating is Moly.

It helps greatly in keeping the bore clean. In fact, I use it on all bullets we shoot here.

WE do make brass bullets, but have not used them for hunting.

I think you will find making bullets on a normal lathe to be a rather trying process.

Ours are made on a CNC lathe.

The hole is drilled with a normal drill. I use a center drill just to introduce a slight bevel around the hollow point, although it is not necessary.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67608 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George,

Welcome.
Even if any of my dimensions are wrong on the drawing, Saeed will not comment.
Top secret proprietary, don't you know.
Please feel free to experiment with anything you feel needs changing,
unless Saeed ever reveals any "official" dimensions on the bullet.

As for the cartridge, I have recreated it to the best of my ability, using one cartridge case carried back from Tanzania in 2010,
and what little info Saeed would let go here.
Dave Manson makes the reamer.
Hornady makes the dies.
I sent a set of dies to Saeed and he has yet to tell me whether they work OK in his original rifles.
They sure work fine with Norma 404 Jeffery brass in the ".375/404 Jeffery Saeed of 2012" that is my copycat wildcat.
Wink

Administrator
posted Hide Post
RIP,

The dies you kindly sent work just fine, which means you have managed to reverse engineer my Top Secret Cartridge! beer

Posts: 67608 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed/RIP:
Many thanks for sharing these things.

I was a production lathe man back in the mid 60's for a few yrs. After bitching long n hard over the slack in my Atlas 12"x48" lathe they bought me a brand new Harding Chucker and challenged me to hold tight tolerances. After about 8 months of steadily making pins (miniture crank shafts) I developed an ulcer and had to get off the tension. I was 23 and have had belly problems from it since.
This pin was .5" head w/slot, 1/8" thick, with three concentrics along the shaft with a main bearing on each end, tip had a 1/4"x20 thrd. Everything measured from the bottom of the head and total runout tolerance was .0002-5".
The crank throws all had to be perfect too so the ?????pistons all reached max reach at the designated times. They were quite a challenge as you can imagine. These were all turned Freehand on this lathe. I also ground my own tooling for these things, they had a #25 finish too (mirror like) So I have a good idea what I'm getting into on these bullets. OF course 40yrs with very little lathe work since will no doubt create some challenges. Soon as I feel good enough from this belly surgery from 10/16 I plan to give it a shot or two and see how they turn out and whether I can stand there and turn 'em long enough to produce anything worthwhile.

Friend Tysue says he's willing to load and shoot them for testing in his several guns. I don't have anything larger than .375 and am not up to shooting much with these worn out shoulders either. So it's up to Jack to see whether my lathe work is worth messing with. One of us will report back on the results once it's done. With him doing the shooting, it will keep my prejudice out of the matter.

Saeed: Did you slug the bores? I've always been told/read bullets need to be .001" larger than the bore. I see from this drawing yours vary from 1 under to a flat .375". Please give me your experience on this part too.

Another question: have you experimented with slits down the bore of the HP? to make 'wings' or whatever they're called? On a regular lathe I feel they could be cut in real easy with the chuck stopped and using a proper sized end mill slipped down the hole. On a CNC I don't see how that could be done, but, you know much more about that than I do as I've never worked on one.

Many thanks to you guys for sharing with me/us here. I was hoping you'd used a few brass slugs to compare with. Maybe that will be up to us.
I just bought five 6'pcs of each, brass & copper to play with. IF this does not work out as hoped I'll still have material for other things. Metals never go to waste in a mans shop as long as its out of the weather, right?

IF I can heal things up enough to make a trip to Matts area for buffs n bulls sometime in 2015, thats my goal.
Thanks again,
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
RIP,

The dies you kindly sent work just fine, which means you have managed to reverse engineer my Top Secret Cartridge! beer

Success!
I can quit pestering Saeed now. beer

George,
You know a lot more about "bullet turning" than I do.
I know nothing! Smiler
Good luck with your adventure, sounds very interesting.
Any reports on your results will be very interesting. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIPP:
I've turned a whole lotta things but never a bullet yet. Thats why I've been asking these kid type questions to fill in the blanks.

Thanks again for the sketch and numbers etc.

What did you shoot with these shown? Assume they're some you fired, y or n? Looks like that one hit something pretty hard.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
RIPP:

What did you shoot with these shown? Assume they're some you fired, y or n? Looks like that one hit something pretty hard.

George

George,
These are Saeed's recovered bullets, homemade .375/300-gr Walterhogs all, that killed various African game at various distances, all starting at the same MV:

It looks to me like he needs to increase the diameter of the bullet between the 4th band and the base of the bullet.
There is no reason for a sub-bore-diameter waspwaist there!
Maybe he has corrected this on his latest runs, the above is an old photo.
As many bullets as have gone down the barrel of that rifle, he has probably increased the bore diameter by now,
and it is time to re-fit his bullet to his barrel anyway.
No need to re-barrel. Wink

Saeed's Walterhog is a hybrid of TRUE DRIVE BANDS and FALSE DRIVE BANDS, judging by the ones I have laid calipers on.

I have started a discussion on "TRUE DRIVE BANDS" like GSC makes, over on the Big Bores Forum, entitled
"True Drive Band or False Drive Band: Practical or Inconsequential?"
if you wish to continue discussion about bullets with input from bullet maker Gerard Schultz of GSC, if he is talking:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...4711043/m/2001038391

Gerard is not telling everything about his proprietary band design either, just like Saeed. Wink

Highjack off.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
RIP,

There is nothing to correct on our Walterhog bullets.

They are accurate and deadly.

In one word, they WORK! beer

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
RIP,

There is nothing to correct on our Walterhog bullets.

They are accurate and deadly.

In one word, they WORK! beer

tu2 tu2

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops! There I go again, just yanking Saeed's chain for the fun of it.
I am trying to swear off such behavior. animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats what counts most, right?

Do you recall what and where that "swaged" slug hit? Would like to know to judge how hard/soft they are.
AND would you share the velocity they are fired at?

Hey guys, got to digging again today looking to make sure that rifle I was building wasn't in there so I could contact insurance Monday. Some boxes of scopes and holsters from top of gun cabinet were sitting on the loading desk. Was going to put them back where they belong and damned if that missing rifle wasn't laying on the desk under those boxes. Talk about a shock, just about creamed my panties to see that thing again.
Spent the day working on the inletting. Hollowed out the forearm to drop a 8oz mercury tube in. Plan to epoxy it in later tonight or tomorrow. In a sack I also found the bottom metal, bolt and magazine too. Talk about being a happy man today. Sure changed my attitude for once.

Hell of it is, last night I got the new Shilen .358 barrel blank, reamer, and some other toys from Midway. Now what am I gonna do with another .358 barrel? One's more than enough. Anyone want it for my cost?
It's: 14:1, 6 groove, 28", slugged it @ .359" on the ends. Didn't run the ball clear thru, just got the ends checked. Bore sure looks fine to me. Believe it weighs about ten pounds. I have $140 in it.

Spent a couple hours in the shop today, ran the lathe a bit to make a pair of bolt bushings, what are they called? Couldn't find my dial calipers though, not in the micrometer drawer where they belong.

Plan to make another set of tool blocks for the lathe tool post. Fellow said I could use their milling machine awhile back. Was going to measure the factory tool holders and no calipers so I got busy doing something else.

Anyway,
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Great news about your find mate tu2

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8005 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am sorry I have not posted more videos and hunt reports.

I have been trying to get the video done, which takes time - and finding free time to do it is a bit of a job too.

I have done about 15 hours so far, and I still have a few to add.

I have ordered custom made USB sticks and hopefully they will be here by the time I finish the video.

I appreciate your patience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Patience Saeed,, are you kidding we have all the time that it will take you no rush for sure ...

thanks again for you report and videos .

Phil

Posts: 1807 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW!
Not only sending many hours of hunting vids to all of us. but, CUSTOM made memory sticks to do it with? Goodness Saeed!!

How can we thank you?
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
thanks again for your report and videos

+1 tu2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ladies and Gentlemen,

The video is just about ready, and hopefully by next week we will get the USB sticks we have ordered.

I will let you know when to post your requests for the safari film.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure didn't intend to kill this great thread just over some bullets and bs.

Saeed: would you mind sharing the velocity of that T Rex? I'm curious about that one.
Thanks,
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Administrator
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

The video is just about ready, and hopefully by next week we will get the USB sticks we have ordered.

I will let you know when to post your requests for the safari film.

I am very much looking forward to that.
Your videos are by far my favorite hunting videos from Africa.

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed:
Many thanks, very interesting reading that article and data. No wonder it's a brute. Just think what it would be like without all that recoil reducing stuff.

Way back in ??1956?? I think it was. Rancher friend showed me some Rifleman pictures of Elmer Keith shooting a 25lb single shot rifle over a car roof chambered in .50BMG. Just about stood the barrel straight up. Wish I had that article now, I'd like to read it. Orin and I talked about how it could be used to shoot elk on the mountain side a mile across the canyon that we watched quite often.

Thanks again,
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I think I finally managed top get this finished.

The total footage is over 26 hours, and I have converted it to Apple H.264 1080 Full HD.

It is a video of the whole safari experience. It is not just of hunting and shooting animals.

And from the past feedback which IO have received from our members, I think all of you enjoy it this way.

I hope you enjoy our latest offering.

Once I have things ready, I will ask you to send me a PM with your mailing address.

But please do not do that yet.

Just a word about HD Formats.

There are quite a number of slightly different formats that seem to be relatively compatible with most computers.

These include the Apple format, Youtube format and Vimeo format.

I have tried all of them, and everything seems to work on every computer we have tried it on.

I chose the Apple format because we have a few people here who wish to have the video on their ipads.

This works just about right to fit everything on a 64GB USB3.0 stick.

The custom made stick we have ordered are supposed to arrive any day now, and I will start copying as soon as they do.

We have a 16 station USB copier, which makes 15 copies in about 1 hour and fifteen minutes. Which works out at 5 minutes per copy!!

This is quite amazing considering how long it took us to make a set of DVDs before.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing how far you'll go for friends.
Much appreciated.
Do you think that stick will work on the TV?
This new set has the outlets on it for such hook up's.
Thanks many times over Saeed.
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent Saeed - always look forward to your safari footage.

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Much appreciated.
George

George,

I don't think it will work directly off the TV.

But, you can hook up your laptop to the TV and it works that way.

In fact, that is how we watch them here.

TV manufacturer's have not standardized on a specific format yet.

Also, I think there is some tax angle in this as well.

For instance, in Europe still cameras cannot make videos longer than a certain time, or they fall into another tax category.

I suggest members get VLC media player, which is linked below.

It is free, and it plays practically all video formats.

VLC media player

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have posted a video in my first post in this thread, about a UFO we had seen on safari this year.

I am afraid the video is not too clear, but I will explain what we had seen.

It looked like a round cloud, with a star in the middle of it. It was a perfect circle, and was moving relatively fast, without any perceptible wind.

It continued moving to our left, and then it just seems to dissipate.

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts after seeing the video.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm either oldd fashinoned, or too damned slow.
Re: No laptop, just a desk model and I can barely keep up with it.

Opened the VL?? link you sent. That gives four links to load. Do I load 'em all, or just one? IF so, which one? Am running XP, not sure which issue though.

Thanks for the reply,
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have posted a video in my first post in this thread, about a UFO we had seen on safari this year.

I am afraid the video is not too clear, but I will explain what we had seen.

It looked like a round cloud, with a star in the middle of it. It was a perfect circle, and was moving relatively fast, without any perceptible wind.

It continued moving to our left, and then it just seems to dissipate.

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts after seeing the video.

Walter blew a smoke ring with his cigar and shined a flashlight on it (a torch to a Limey) as it drifted away.

Or, Walter tried out his Star Trek teleportation device, and that smoke ring was all that was left of the frog used as a test subject.
It never made it to UAE for Hessa's zoo.

space

Seriously,

A star-like point of light inside a halo-like cloud that drifts across a windless night sky?
Yep, UFO.
Confused

Nice map with stick pins in the OP.
Needs a UFO pin now.
Eeker

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Much appreciated.
George

George,

I don't think it will work directly off the TV.

But, you can hook up your laptop to the TV and it works that way.

In fact, that is how we watch them here.

TV manufacturer's have not standardized on a specific format yet.

Also, I think there is some tax angle in this as well.

For instance, in Europe still cameras cannot make videos longer than a certain time, or they fall into another tax category.

I suggest members get VLC media player, which is linked below.

It is free, and it plays practically all video formats.

VLC media player

oh heck, Saeed, can't you find a media player that works with iOS( Mac???

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13269 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
VLC works on the Mac too.
You just need to download it from the VLC site.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Tony!! Kinda like having a go at Aussie Rules Football, eh!
The T-Rex has claimed victims, but you would've had a dead buffalo.
So, once again. Well done!!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have finished this year's safari video, and will start taking the names of those who wish to get their own copy.

Please send your name and mailing address by PM.
Please do not make any requests by email, as the only way I can tell that you are a member of AR is to get a it by PM.

Every year I get a number of requests from non AR members, which I ignore.

I will make a list of those who have made a request, and will ship their's.

It is first come first serve basis according to the date on the PM.

I am going to be out of the country for a while, and will start sending them out first week of January.

We have custom made USB 3.0 64GB sticks made.
The total video is over 25 hours, in 1080P Full HD.

It is a video of a safari, which includes all that goes on, on a 21 day hunt.

You will not see any animal charges.
You will not see any adverts.
You will not see hi fives, or any of us squeaking like a teenage cheerleader either.

What you will get is the total safari experience, which we all hope you will enjoy.

A personal letter, with your name on it, will accompany each video.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing technology
Incredible work
Tremendous generosity
Thank you , have a good trip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting the link.
What I need to know now is WHICH ONE/s to download. I'm not computer literate very well.
I have saved the first one. and running XP but, not sure which issue.

Thanks again,
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
George

Double click the downloaded file. You now need to run the download and have it installed. Your PC should automatically update the compatible version. Lots of XP computers still around and they all work fine. I have a couple in my business.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11023 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you so very much ya Sheikh

Saeed Ansari

Administrator
posted Hide Post
VLC works with XP just fine.