THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Hunt Report Of Our Safari In The Selous With Alan Vincent 2013
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunt Report Of Our Safari In The Selous With Alan Vincent 2013
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTHunt:
Folks second PH is Dylan Cloete. expect buffalo to die...

Psychic!
Bloody good show, Tony and Dylan ... you too Saeed and Alan, Roy and Rene, and who is the videographer?
Go-getters all.
beer

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Refinements to The .375/404 Jeffery Saeed Rifles:

Rifle A: Decorative buffalo heads on the scope turret covers. Did Hessa design those?
Did I mention that I like rifles? Especially Kentucky-Fried Rifles like these. tu2

Rifle B: New scope, since when, and what is it? It worked well, I see. Two great bulls. tu2
Did someone bust the old 1990's Leupold?

Enjoy, Tony, you are tied with Saeed on buffalo for one day, but who is keeping score?
clap

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Wow! Fantastic pictures. tu2 what a day!! Congrats to the hunters! Tony! I tried for a double a few times and never did... Great job mate!! The buffalo had a very bad day today. I hope you like oxtail soup!! Wink

I also immediately noticed the scope on 375/404 #1 has changed. What happened?

Did the brake cap get soldered on better this year?

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Funny day today.

Left camp early as usual, saw a buffalo herd in the distance downwind.

We walked trying to get downwind of them.

We then got very close to them in very thick bush, as they fed along. One can hardly see more than a dark shape walking through the grass.

Some were ten yards or less from us.

They were feeding in a direction we thought they will cross a dry river. So we went ahead to wait for them.

They we had heavy rain, in which we got soaked to the skin.

Eventually the rain stopped, and we tried our luck at the buffalo again.

Same thing, and eventually they smelled us as they were on all sides of us.

We gave them up and started walking towards our truck.

Saw some eland far away, and decided not o go after them as between u and them there was a whole menagerie of animals. That included baboons, impala and warthogs.

Then we saw some wildebeest, and as were after meat and the skin, we passed on a bigger trophy for someone else to shoot.

I shot one and we called the truck. Loaded him up and headed for home.

Tony and Dillon came soon after, they have shot an impala.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quality of some of the photographs is simply outstanding, like how you catch the essence of the safari!

Saeed, Please pass on my regards to the Vincents - they are salt of the earth folks.

Cheers,
Brent LeesMay

Posts: 352 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Always truly enjoy your safaris and you know it takes me back to the Tanzania and the Selous.

The best to all,

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loving it Saeed....Thank you!
Looks like all is going well and photos are SUPERB!!! tu2

Can't wait for more!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
In the afternoon we found a herd of buffalo lying in a dry river bed.

We tried sneaking up on them, but they got into the bush before we got close.

We gave up the chase as the bush was very thick, which makes it very hard to pick a suitable bull from amongst them.

We saw some eland far away, and a very nice bull with them.

We followed them for quite sometime, but each time we got over a ridge they seem to be further still.

Then we saw some kudu, with a very old bull with them.

We managed to shoot him, and got back to camp at dinner time.

Just beating the rain, and Walter having just finished the BBQ too.

Had a great dinner with thunder and very heavy rain.

It is pouring cats and dogs right now, and has been for at least 2 hours.

We have no idea what tomorrow holds whether wise, so we are going to play it by ear.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simply Outstanding!

Looks like big fun all around!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Quick check in from me. Had a stalk on some baboons but they gave me the finger and disappeared into the scrub. We then went and hung a lion bait. Found a turtle and Garry stuck a go pro on it. He got some great footage Big Grin

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8053 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DADBURN IT! Where can I get one of those AR Bladetech knives?

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great photo of the elephants in the rain.
Send the rain to west Texas...we will take all you have.
Great reports and photos.
Better tomorrows!

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That laughter photo is brilliant.

Posts: 4605 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Some top shots there but the buffalo cow in the long feed is my pic as the top capture.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:
Originally posted by JTHunt:
Folks second PH is Dylan Cloete. expect buffalo to die...

Psychic!
Bloody good show, Tony and Dylan ... you too Saeed and Alan, Roy and Rene, and who is the videographer?
Go-getters all.
beer

The videographer is Gary De Jong. He's awesome.

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Great photo of the elephants in the rain.
Send the rain to west Texas...we will take all you have.
Great reports and photos.
Better tomorrows!

Good to see elephants period!

Posts: 1924 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Great Safari With a story line and pictures.

Great read

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1628 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,
Thanks for the ID on Videographer Gary De Jong, he is the "V Team." tu2

ID the scope: Nightforce NXS on "Ye Olde #1" .375/404 aka Rifle B? (B Team Rifle)
Best picture yet of scope, with the gang, just after Walter recovered from banging his funny bone:

Similar to this?

What the heck is this? Something shootaway would do to a cow buffalo?
Something ain't right here: Hermaphrodite or prolapse of something from a cow?
Or Tony helping Walter with his tick infestation?

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Loving the photos but the shots of tick infested buffalo scrotes is making me uncomfortable. Roll Eyes
Really like the shots of birds and insects, makes you remember what safari is all about. tu2

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
outstanding, gentlemen. it is so nice to see photos other than the standard camp shot, hero photos, etc. it gives me some great ideas to use in 3 weeks....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
It has been raining all night!

And the only person who likes the rain is Walter.

Those buffalo in the grass were about 10 meters from us, just wanted to show you some of the bush around here.

I will do the kudu photos and upload them later on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
outstanding, gentlemen. it is so nice to see photos other than the standard camp shot, hero photos, etc. it gives me some great ideas to use in 3 weeks....

Agree; that bird photo has me mesmerized...outstanding.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great bunch of pictures, looks like a real FUN hunting party.

So many pics of buff's I've lost count how many have been shot. Could you update on that please?

Very much enjoying this trip, thanks for sharing with us.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Administrator
posted Hide Post
It is midday here, and the rain has stopped a short while ago.

But, we are stuck in camp, waiting for the ground to absorb the moisture and make it easy to drive.

posted Hide Post
Hello. Looks like a fantastic trip! What blocks are these in the Selous?
Regards,
Bwana4711

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for sharing your adventures!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I might look forward to these reports every year as much as Saeed does to the actual hunt.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're doing nothing to help with my desire to go back to Africa as soon as possible.

Wonderful pictures and stories!!! Can't wait for the rest!!

And would that green bird be of the kingfisher group?

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana4711:
Hello. Looks like a fantastic trip! What blocks are these in the Selous?
Regards,
Bwana4711

LU5

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Saeed, the pictures are fantastic. Keep them coming! Smiler

This picture makes me wonder though....has Walter started wearing his hearing aids so that he can hear Tony, or has Tony had to resort to sign language? Big Grin

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
RIP...excellent work on the scope ID. Part of the mystery is solved. Still need the "why" though!

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
An Outer Circle kudu. clap

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Still need the "why" though!

"Nightforce presents Tanzanian Game Trails with your host, Saeed al Maktoum. This week we follow Saeed and his trusty sidekick Walter as they stalk a host of plains game in the Selous with proffesional hunters Alan and Roy Vincent."

Good grief let's hope not!

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think I might look forward to these reports every year as much as Saeed does to the actual hunt.

Same here! I love them. Just pure hunting, no BS, just a bunch of good guys out in the field.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
Still need the "why" though!

"Nightforce presents Tanzanian Game Trails with your host, Saeed al Maktoum. This week we follow Saeed and his trusty sidekick Walter as they stalk a host of plains game in the Selous with proffesional hunters Alan and Roy Vincent."

Good grief let's hope not!

My guess is Saeed isn't writing off the trip on his taxes, either.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Must thank Saeed for this beautiful picture of what I think must be a juvenile bateleur eagle, at extreme range telephoto making it slightly out of focus, softened, the entire picture looks like a painting:

Very artsy-fartsy composition, and the blurred (or well-focused clouds) background looks like big, blended paint brush strokes,
oil or acrylic on stretched canvas or gessoed masonite.
Adding this to my painting idea library. When I quit medicine, I'll paint. They will call me "Grandpa Moses of the Bushveld." old

This is Walter's good luck charm, totem animal, big ju-ju.
Walter will slay beau coup buffalo this year, with a little help from his friends.
When the Bateleur soars overhead, Walter does not miss!

A previous year's Bateleur by Saeed:

Recent snags from the internet:

Smaller juvenile than top photo above:

Adult female:

Adult male:

Soaring for Walter's good luck:

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Walter is wearing his hearing aid, and apparently is enjoying hearings things we cannot!

He has everyone laughing so much as he seems to hear things no one has uttered!

I took the photo of that young eagle at quite a distance, using the Panasonic FZ200 camera.

We hope we can go hunting this morning, as spending the day in camp was not what any of us looks forward too.

We enjoyed all the story telling though, how many of them were true is anyone's guess! clap