THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    African Safari Bookings - Slow/Impaired Market
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

African Safari Bookings - Slow/Impaired Market
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was hunting buffalo in Zimbabwe with one of AR's most glorified outfitters. At one day the idea came up that my girlfriend and I should be limited to one softdrink a day. The friendly camp manager did not insist on that but I will never hunt with that company again.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardAustin:
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
RichardAustin wrote:

quote:
cost of a euro

You really don't know what you're talking about.
A year ago the Euro was worth around $1.30, not it's just over or around $1.10. Try to keep up.

Sure wish I had met you sooner, I guess you've made a fortune trading currencies and stocks. For the less astute such as myself, sometimes as much as 5 years is needed to determine financial trends. 12 months, what do you consider short term, next month?

You apparently don't know the first rule of holes, as you keep digging yourself deeper. Cool

You're so generous with your all consuming expert advice. How does one ever thank you?
Maybe you'd share your secret on how your money has maintained its value and none of your costs have gone up. I'd be most interested to hear, and unlike other experts, your council is free. Imagine that.

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was on a Cape Buffalo hunt with HHK in Zim. Spent a day bird hunting after shooting the buff and at the end of the trip I was charged $1 for each dove I shot and $3 for each Franklin. Pissed me off and I've never hunted with HHK since.

They did the same exact to me, along with re-bottled water and a drunken PH. Wonder how they stay in business?

Posts: 42342 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting that you were on a buffalo hunt with HHK, we spent 15 days on an elephant hunt (did get the elephant but hard tough hunt) more poachers than elephants. We saw one and that is ONE set of buffalo tracks and there was no long grass. The water in camp was BROWN. Food was not good.

How did you do on your buffalo sir?

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sir,

That is scary, could you please PM this outfitter.

Thank You

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
How did you do on your buffalo sir?

This hunt took place quite a few years back. At the time we saw a lot of Buff in the Hwange area and a few Elephants as well. Things may have changed. Quite a few years have passed since that hunt.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a small business owner I totally understand that inflation and corrupt Govt. Officials especially are causing prices to go up every year. Again I totally understand this, and after all, PHs and agents as well need to put food on their table and even make a profitSmiler

So with all that said, the average working guy who could afford a plains game hunt in Namibia is finding it harder and harder to do. I if the trend continues, only the wealthy will be hunting Africa, and the pool of hunters will become smaller and smaller within that circle too.

I understand the issues you face fellas but keep in mind that you are slowly strangling to death the Golden Goose.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it very much.

Photobucket

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Folks,
While we are crapping on the latest state of the economy and where the safari industry goes from here, we do need to take note that there are some really fairly priced hunts out in the market if you are inclined to do something out of the box. West Africa comes to mind. With the dollar's gain on the Euro there are some amazing deals in the countries Europeans primarily hunt. Just a thought if you are wrestling with costs in southern or east Africa.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

In reading through this thread one particular thing jumped out at me that really doesn't have a lot of effect on overall safari pricing which I agree is going up but does in fact effect a client's overall satisfaction with his/her safari. That thing is unexpected costs that seem very petty. If the safari operator's price list does not state specifically who is responsible for birds, drinks etc it should and the client needs to get that clear. Personally I think charging a client for every beer or Coke is petty. Raise your day rate a little to cover this. I do think if a client wants other than local spirits and wine he/she should be willing to pay for that. I can see charging for the birds because if they don't it is possible for a few clients to hammer the flocks particularly of francolin on a property. I've seen it happen but the client needs to be clear that he is paying per bird or a specific day rate to cover what he shoots.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Tough deal overall, but we will keep hunting and PH's will keep taking us. It could be worse. Hell, I bring my own booze and cigars and I'll drink whatever and eat what I kill.
How about beer crisis or some tobacco epidemic.
Sheet, that would be really bad.
I don't want anything for free. I pay my own way.
Anyone one of us who has been in Africa few times understands how tough it is for any supplies and parts to get and how tough it is to deal with African official
Almost as bad as here in States.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have to admit that charging for soft drinks is pretty chicken shit. While I don't drink them, it would piss me off if I did.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
My American Outfitter/Broker for my African PG hunt was Wade Derby from Cross Hair Consulting

He was beyond great....words can't describe how satisfied I am with him..... A+

We used Steve Turner of Travel With Guns to sort out our flight and travel details

Another top shelf guy I highly recomend

My African host/outfitter was Andrew Renton of Kie River Safaris

Andrew matched my wife and I with a great PH that was a joy to spend 12 days with and you can and should use Andrew if you want a fabulous vacation hunt....A+ also

The host families at each property were also great people and helped make our trip feel presonal

Why am I saying this?

Because not all is bad in SA

I watch prices soar and fear I will never get to go back

I took out a loan to do this trip and will have it payed off in 2018...

Can I take out yet another loan and do it again?

Not if the cost keeps going up at the rates they have in the past 3 years over the next 3 years

My first may very well be my last....sad but true

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Naw Ted.. U got a couple more in ya! Not sure if your interested in Namibia but they have some great hunting at very reasonable prices.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Airfares actually cheaper now (SAA) than they have been for a very long time. I see daily rates on PG as low as $300 and that's not expensive by any yardstick considering you are hiring an entire building or two, a vehicle, an entourage of people (some seen, some unseen) to keep you entertained, fed, watered and clean, and several thousand acres of private property as your exclusive playground 24x7. Trophy fees on the common PG species not noticeably different than 5 or even 10 years ago in some areas.

What has gone up? Kudu and Nyala trophy fees generally higher due to demand. Sable due to decimation in Zim. Cat hunts due to limited quotas all over and bans in some countries. And Zim buffalo hunts (the latter due to gov't imposed price hikes but they were cheaper than the other destinations for a long time due to the Bob factor).

Those complaining about paying $3 to shoot a francolin should avoid the UK at all costs. There you pay circa $30 per bird released, not per bird shot. Someone is offering a "discounted" UK bird hunt, 4 days shooting incl accommo and meals, for circa $10K per gun. And horrors, you WILL be sharing "camp" on this hunt.

Those praising fishing as an alternative ... a standard guided bonefish outing runs $750 per day in the Bahamas ... and that is 8 hours on the water, not a minute longer and count yourself lucky to get a sandwich and a soda thrown in. Oh, and accommo is an additional $200 per day.

Imagine if you hired an entire ski area for you and your friends for the day. What would that run? I surmise it would be $10 to 50K PER DAY. That's the closest analogy I can think of to a hunt in Africa.

I think some are used to the "free" self-guided hunting and fishing we enjoy here in the USA on public lands and can't figure out why Africa is not the same. Even then, price a trophy whitetail in TX or elk in CO, or a grizzly hunt in AK and I think you will reconsider your position.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
And you are right Larry
But I go there for hunt, I'll get by on bread and water if need be
And I wanna kill a bushpig bad

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
Naw Ted.. U got a couple more in ya! Not sure if your interested in Namibia but they have some great hunting at very reasonable prices.

I still have a list thats for sure and Namibia is a real option

Eland
Nyala
Zebra
Red Heartabeest

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read it as him saying it was a bad practice by the operator.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
We have to just face the facts. The Safari Hunting Business is a predominantly US fed industry.

The current administration in the U.S. has drained the pot of expendable income in the U.S. population.

Meanwhile...the "Africans" have continued to increase prices to feed their corruption.

Cost has surpassed the means to afford...pretty simple equation.

Vote Republican in 2016 if you want the industry to live to fight another day.

Lane as much as we hate the policies of the Obama administration lets be realistic.

Obama has not increased hunting prices - the african governments and outfitters have.

Obama did not caused the decline in energy prices in 2014-2015-dont known when it ends. The industry, global suppliers and markets have done that.

Obama has raised personal income taxes 500 bps, put the obama care tax of 300 bps and raised long term gains tax 500 bps. All those suck for me and every other us personal who is a african hunting client.

Stock market in aggregate are much better - a lot more credit for that to federal reserve.

A portion of hunting group was fine till 2014 - till energy collapsed.

But how ever much we dislike obama or electing s republican in 2016 ain't going to change energy sectors (will adjust as markets do).

A lot things happen good and bad to stock prices regardless of republican or democratic administrations.

The issue is african hunt prices have gone up significantly - their adjustment has to come at that level.

Mike

Mike,
Diesel was cheaper in 2006 when the Safari Business thought it would never see another poor day. Have been around the oil patch my whole life...this down turn is pretty much par.

As far as what Obama has done...is the increase in income tax and and increase in healthcare cost...the difference in what I pay for those two things now as opposed to 2006 per year...would pay for a buff safari.

Besides that...another aspect of my Republican plug...is ele hunting. Clinton Foundation is squarely behind the ivory ban.

I agreed with you about the cost increase.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Bwana1........... my Swahili is no doubt a bit rusty, but I think Tanz-PH was basically saying he felt sorry for you and then just went on to say what is normal at the outfit he works for.

Just a thought. Smiler

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
Airfares actually cheaper now (SAA) than they have been for a very long time. I see daily rates on PG as low as $300 and that's not expensive by any yardstick considering you are hiring an entire building or two, a vehicle, an entourage of people (some seen, some unseen) to keep you entertained, fed, watered and clean, and several thousand acres of private property as your exclusive playground 24x7. Trophy fees on the common PG species not noticeably different than 5 or even 10 years ago in some areas.

What has gone up? Kudu and Nyala trophy fees generally higher due to demand. Sable due to decimation in Zim. Cat hunts due to limited quotas all over and bans in some countries. And Zim buffalo hunts (the latter due to gov't imposed price hikes but they were cheaper than the other destinations for a long time due to the Bob factor).

Those complaining about paying $3 to shoot a francolin should avoid the UK at all costs. There you pay circa $30 per bird released, not per bird shot. Someone is offering a "discounted" UK bird hunt, 4 days shooting incl accommo and meals, for circa $10K per gun. And horrors, you WILL be sharing "camp" on this hunt.

Those praising fishing as an alternative ... a standard guided bonefish outing runs $750 per day in the Bahamas ... and that is 8 hours on the water, not a minute longer and count yourself lucky to get a sandwich and a soda thrown in. Oh, and accommo is an additional $200 per day.

Imagine if you hired an entire ski area for you and your friends for the day. What would that run? I surmise it would be $10 to 50K PER DAY. That's the closest analogy I can think of to a hunt in Africa.

I think some are used to the "free" self-guided hunting and fishing we enjoy here in the USA on public lands and can't figure out why Africa is not the same. Even then, price a trophy whitetail in TX or elk in CO, or a grizzly hunt in AK and I think you will reconsider your position.

Fishing is cheaper than hunting unless you start buying vikings boats. But hunting and fishing are comparing apples and oranges. I have used fishing as an example more as an alternative for the marginal discretionary dollar.

https://mgfishing.rezdy.com

You will most likely walk away with multiple coolers full of tuna. What I view as the plains game equivalent.

http://www.tropicstar.com/book...y-7-night-trips.html

The big game equivalent of fishing.

If anyone wants from AR wants to do a group trip I am game for both places.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
We have to just face the facts. The Safari Hunting Business is a predominantly US fed industry.

The current administration in the U.S. has drained the pot of expendable income in the U.S. population.

Meanwhile...the "Africans" have continued to increase prices to feed their corruption.

Cost has surpassed the means to afford...pretty simple equation.

Vote Republican in 2016 if you want the industry to live to fight another day.

Lane as much as we hate the policies of the Obama administration lets be realistic.

Obama has not increased hunting prices - the african governments and outfitters have.

Obama did not caused the decline in energy prices in 2014-2015-dont known when it ends. The industry, global suppliers and markets have done that.

Obama has raised personal income taxes 500 bps, put the obama care tax of 300 bps and raised long term gains tax 500 bps. All those suck for me and every other us personal who is a african hunting client.

Stock market in aggregate are much better - a lot more credit for that to federal reserve.

A portion of hunting group was fine till 2014 - till energy collapsed.

But how ever much we dislike obama or electing s republican in 2016 ain't going to change energy sectors (will adjust as markets do).

A lot things happen good and bad to stock prices regardless of republican or democratic administrations.

The issue is african hunt prices have gone up significantly - their adjustment has to come at that level.

Mike

Mike,
Diesel was cheaper in 2006 when the Safari Business thought it would never see another poor day. Have been around the oil patch my whole life...this down turn is pretty much par.

As far as what Obama has done...is the increase in income tax and and increase in healthcare cost...the difference in what I pay for those two things now as opposed to 2006 per year...would pay for a buff safari.

Besides that...another aspect of my Republican plug...is ele hunting. Clinton Foumdation is squarely behind the ivory ban.

I agreed with you about the cost increase.

Lane,

Let's please not look at safari costs on the amount of income one would have to earn before paying federal income tax, state income tax (god bless tax, fla, nh, sd, wy, tn, wa) social security, obamacare, city income tax (f@ck nyc) to have money left over to pay for a safari. Now I am truly depressed.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My swahili is no doubt a bit rusty ....... Tanz-PH was basically saying he felt sorry for you

Skyline: Hardly rusty at all - you are 100% correct!

"Pole Sana" is indeed an expression of sympathy.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The price of oil may be hurting many in the fuel industry but lower fuel prices are helping my household.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reading some of the posts in regard in being charged for menial things. I had a similar experience with HHK.

I have been on this forum for some 15 years now (I was one of those lost in 2000). On my second safari in 1999 I hunted with HHK in Charisa. It was a wonderful safari and I went on two more and then this last one was the worst I have ever been on. There were many issues besides being charged for birds etc. Some of you will remember way back when, if somebody asked with whom they should hunt with in Zimbabwe, I would answer HHK without reservation. Ask me now and I will tell you that the only reason you run from HHK is you cannot fly.

Posts: 791 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I recently returned from my first Safari in Africa and have nothing but positives.

Mayogi Safaris in the eastern cape of South Africa is a quality establishment in every way. I will make a full separate post.
http://mayogi-safaris.co.za/

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1620 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been following this tread some and all the gloom and doom. Yes, some things are going up, that's why I hunt the specials, non-trophy, non-exportable etc. Mark Young has a special with Mokore in Sengwa now where you can combine for a tuskless and non-trophy, non-exportable buf for $17000 including trophy fees. That's $10,000 under the going price. If you consider you don't pay dip & pack, shipping or taxidermy, that's at least $15000 cheaper. There are bargains out there if you shop around.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In light of the fact that the average American household has consumer debt they cannot pay off.....

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog...card-debt-household/

a "bargain" safari is a very relative term.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is still a lot of money for nothing but a photo and perhaps a elephant hair bracelet.

Just shot a record book leopard which I can bring home for not a pile more.

Photobucket

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Thanks to those actually naming their nickel and dime outfitters.

Shame on those that complaint yet don't have the stones to name the piss poor companies.

ETA
HHK seemed to have an excellent reputation here, kinda surprised their name came up so often.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GOB:
That is still a lot of money for nothing but a photo and perhaps a elephant hair bracelet.

Well, I guess that's one way of looking at it, but to me, I got a hole lot more than a photo and bracelet. Actually, I didn't get a bracelet, the bull was so old he didn't have any hair on the tail. I got the full experience of elephant hunting. I've hunted elephant seven times where as if I went on trophy hunts I would only have gone on one. The experience is the most important part to me. But, each their own.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bama15:
quote:
Originally posted by GOB:

Well, I guess that's one way of looking at it, but to me, I got a hole lot more than a photo and bracelet. Actually, I didn't get a bracelet, the bull was so old he didn't have any hair on the tail. I got the full experience of elephant hunting. I've hunted elephant seven times where as if I went on trophy hunts I would only have gone on one. The experience is the most important part to me. But, each their own.

Big +1

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that's a good selling point Wink
quote:
Originally posted by TANZ-PH:
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
About six years ago, I went on a 14 day safari to the Selous with a very well known safari operator. At the end of the hunt, it was time to settle up. The ph produced a bag full of beer and coke bottle caps, and said I owed for all the beverages.
I paid, but will never go with them again!

Pole Sana! But that's absolute rubbish. (I'm surprised he didn't try charge you for ice cubes too! We don't, (and never, ever have) charged our clients a single cent for any drinks; be it: bottled water, Soft drinks, wine, beer, hard liquor & even Champagne!

We always have plenty bottles of Jack Daniels, Beefeaters gin, (or whatever is your requested favorite) stocked in our mess bar. Karibuni!

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
This is a very interesting read, and one of the reasons i'm grateful for finding this website so many years ago.

I leave in exactly one month for my first ever trip to RSA. my "hunting" savings account is not likely to grow anytime soon, as my wife and i are moving to denver in 2 months, then buying a house in a year or so; i'll need all of my available income.

since my hunting fund is finite at the moment, i believe i will leave all of my trophies in africa, and only shoot the few animals on my package hunt (SCI auction, very good price hunt). I will film my dad shooting his animals, and hunt with him, for the experience of hunting more animals.

once i started adding up costs for dip/pack, VAT tax, crating, shipping, etc. etc... it quickly became expensive. i really hate not having my trophies, i LOVE having mounts on the wall. Reading this generally makes me wonder if i'll ever make a 2nd trip to africa (i'm only 34) once my income level is better and shipping trophies is more in my budget....but i wonder if the hunting in general over on the dark continent will be even remotely affordable by then...

Posts: 783 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is interesting is that my 2008 Tanz lion hunt is approximately 1/3 more expensive than the discounted full-bag Tanz hunts now offered. It is a sign of all of the above stated reasons. Honestly, Tanz is showing more opportunity than Zim/Moz/Zambia, with some exceptions in Zambia on a cost average basis.

Luke Samaris and Tanz-PH have a couple of the best offerings available on the advertised hunts. Tanz is a special place to hunt when all is considered.

Without these advertised discounted hunts it is more difficult to find an affordable one unless one is willing to negotiate. Zim is out for me, I'm afraid. With some advertised day rates from $1,450 to $2.050 in Zim it is just a few thousand below these discounted Tanz hunts. Trophy fees in Tanz are less than Zim so it really evens out along with greater game species available in Tanz. Just my 2cents.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
My American Outfitter/Broker for my African PG hunt was Wade Derby from Cross Hair Consulting

He was beyond great....words can't describe how satisfied I am with him..... A+

We used Steve Turner of Travel With Guns to sort out our flight and travel details

Another top shelf guy I highly recomend

My African host/outfitter was Andrew Renton of Kie River Safaris

Andrew matched my wife and I with a great PH that was a joy to spend 12 days with and you can and should use Andrew if you want a fabulous vacation hunt....A+ also

The host families at each property were also great people and helped make our trip feel presonal

Why am I saying this?

Because not all is bad in SA

I watch prices soar and fear I will never get to go back

I took out a loan to do this trip and will have it payed off in 2018...

Can I take out yet another loan and do it again?

Not if the cost keeps going up at the rates they have in the past 3 years over the next 3 years

My first may very well be my last....sad but true

Ted - with the amount of posts and time you spend here in the Africa forum, something tells me you will find a way to do a second safari.

Posts: 179 | Location: USA | Registered: 28 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooperjd:
This is a very interesting read, and one of the reasons i'm grateful for finding this website so many years ago.

I leave in exactly one month for my first ever trip to RSA. my "hunting" savings account is not likely to grow anytime soon, as my wife and i are moving to denver in 2 months, then buying a house in a year or so; i'll need all of my available income.

since my hunting fund is finite at the moment, i believe i will leave all of my trophies in africa, and only shoot the few animals on my package hunt (SCI auction, very good price hunt). I will film my dad shooting his animals, and hunt with him, for the experience of hunting more animals.

once i started adding up costs for dip/pack, VAT tax, crating, shipping, etc. etc... it quickly became expensive. i really hate not having my trophies, i LOVE having mounts on the wall. Reading this generally makes me wonder if i'll ever make a 2nd trip to africa (i'm only 34) once my income level is better and shipping trophies is more in my budget....but i wonder if the hunting in general over on the dark continent will be even remotely affordable by then...

maybe you would think about shoot quite a few culls or a bunch of smaller, less expensive animals. Still fun but most places have quite a few animals listed at $300-400 and often quite a few nusciance animals for free.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
In 2008, at 7.5 Namibian dollars to the US dollar I paid $600 for a kudu, $500 for Gemsbok, $250 for Springbok and $300 for a warthog.

This year, at 12.4 Namibian dollars to the US dollar, I was quoted Kudu from $1400 - $1900 and Gemsbok $800 - $1600, Springbok at $600 and Warthog at $600

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
In 2008, at 7.5 Namibian dollars to the US dollar I paid $600 for a kudu, $500 for Gemsbok, $250 for Springbok and $300 for a warthog.

This year, at 12.4 Namibian dollars to the US dollar, I was quoted Kudu from $1400 - $1900 and Gemsbok $800 - $1600, Springbok at $600 and Warthog at $600

Not even funny is it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

It would be really interesting to see the rates at which the german hunters book hunts. Euro was 1.6 in 2008 and 1.07 today.

Mike