THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    African Safari Bookings - Slow/Impaired Market
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

African Safari Bookings - Slow/Impaired Market
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:

Beretta-Mike, I can assure you that Costco will NOT be marketing hunts...I went to college, through same graduate school, with one of the Co-founders....both of the founders are SEATTLE LEFT WING OBAMA SUPPORTERS....and I am Right Conservative....go figure...and NO I DO NOT SHOP AT COSTCO unless I have no other choice, like in Kona!!

Cheers,

I am a big fan of Costco - it like welfare for upper middle class and rich people. Don't mark up anything more than 13% - 10% if you executive member and use their soon to be discontinued am ex.

https://www.costcotravel.com/S...ffers/LWTBSP20140509

Pretty good package if you want to go to the delta in Botswana - would be nice to combine with a trip to hunt with Jason Bridger at Tholo.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike- As you know there is NO DANGEROUS GAME Hunting in Botswana any longer....and Microsoft Co Founder Paul Allen was part of that decision....he spent lots of money on Eco Lodges and Parks- then proceeded to show Botswana how Eco Tourism will make the Country more money....HA, AIN'T Working!!...but all of the SEATTLE Billionaires are trying to STOP Blood Sports, and they are even buying up all of the properties adjoining the Olympic Rain Forest and ultimately will CLOSE all of the Pristine Steelhead and Salmon rivers...Private Property!! Now that is PROGRESS,EH!!

Not so Cheery Outlook....

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Washington billionaires will go by the wayside
Money cannot buy everything
They are trying but as we know, that has tendencies to turn against them
They are pitiful and they make me laugh

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thought I would bring this thread back to the top. There are several VERY good deals out there now. I took a 10 day, two buffalo, including TF for $13600.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am about to embark on my first safari in almost 13 years. Everything (importing rifles, flying, etc) seems to be more of a hassle and more expensive now.

I hope things seem better by the time I return from my hunt.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
REMEMBER....everything is NEGOTIABLE and don't be afraid to ask. I am wanting to book Taznania for just a few species and see the North and Selous...I just pushed back on an offer....$30k for 12 days hunting in 2 areas....now at $19!!..my partner was $20k now 13K...
Be very vigilant on Dip and Pack, documentation, crating.....then Freight Forwarders who all add fees. It used to be PH's/Outfitters took prepared box to airline and shipped it off....now there are many interlopers...impose on your PH/Outfitter to handle this for you....then do your own clearance on US side...have your Bills of Lading marked NO BROKERS...give the airline your contact numbers ...they will notify you...takes 30 minutes at USF&W to do the paperwork, Customs will stamp it....$30 in fees....commercial clearance starts with $90 in fees!...then load it in your truck and go to the taxidermist....Taxidermists also used to do this to get you business...some still do!!
YES guns do take more vigilance today and best booked through one of the folks like Steve at Travel with Guns or Gracy who are experts in handling the airlines notifications and restrictions now, getting transit through Amsterdam or entry to South Africa even if not hunting here but over nighting!!
Have a GREAT hunt...it is always worth it!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After one plains game hunt and two DG hunts, I'm probably done.

For one thing, it is now basically illegal for Americans to bring elephant tusks or lion trophies home, even if one can afford the very high prices now. I'm not willing to go again to merely shoot another buffalo.

Another factor: The low interest rates and expected low future growth of the US GDP mean investments will earn less in the future (according to my financial advisors). That means that, to support the same lifestyle in retirement, you will have to accumulate a lot more savings.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Slow down on your expectation and go
You will die miserable with no memories
Listen to the old folks
They all wish they did work less and lived more and they can do with less money
It's all relative and only one life
Everyone has got their own priorities

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Indy:

For one thing, it is now basically illegal for Americans to bring elephant tusks or lion trophies home, even if one can afford the very high prices now. I'm not willing to go again to merely shoot another buffalo.

Another factor: The low interest rates and expected low future growth of the US GDP mean investments will earn less in the future (according to my financial advisors). That means that, to support the same lifestyle in retirement, you will have to accumulate a lot more savings.

"merely shoot another buffalo" I bet you hunt with a scoped 375 rifle. rotflmo

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:

Not everyone has sharp eyes as yours to be able to shoot a buffalo with iron sights.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:
quote:

Not everyone has sharp eyes as yours to be able to shoot a buffalo with iron sights.

If you are going to hunt DG in Africa you should at least be able to shoot a buff with iron sights at 25yds.If you don't have the skills to do that then it might not be the place for you.
One is not in Disney land when in the African bush.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
Much of what has caused a slow down on bookings has been touched on above but to summaries and expand :

Africa is closing due to anti hunters being a stronger force than the pro hunters , they raise more money and appeal to more people.
Their cause strikes at the heart of the average Joe and they fund the movement. Emotion is stronger than truth.

The total hunting experience is being diminished and made difficult. Hunting is more than a shoot, it begins with an inspiration when you are young to the reading , dreaming , planning , buying , outfitting, travel , hunt , hunt camp , post hunt , conventions .
Every one of these experiences have been diminished due to political interference whether they be cutting quotas , making licenses more difficult to acquire or more expensive.

Add in the loss of heritage and lack of time to take a child camping / hunting / fishing and the cycle breaks, Hollywood blackens the image of hunting and fathers keep it quiet around dinner tables. John Wayne , Steve McQueen , Rod Taylor, Sean O Connery , etch are replaced with men that look like woman on steroids. Children don't grow up with role models who hunt camp or fish , role models create Facebook , twitter Google and Apple.

Hunts have become outrageously expensive. Shorter in duration and the pressure to collect a full bag. The adventure lost.
There are more outfitters now than ever , every farmer with an acre of land jumping on the bandwagon.

The economy is no worse or no better than before , its always in a cycle of up down , over the last 30 years of sitting around camp fires from Tanzania to Botswana , the conversation has pretty much been the same , hunts are getting expensive , time is getting less. My first elephant hunter in 1996 is a far wealthier man now than then as are all my elephant hunters who hunted in Botswana , they are just more aware how fragile this wealth is.

What has changed is the politics of hunting and conservation , and here is the root of the collapse of hunting in Africa north of South Africa and Namibia. In Botswana in 1998 we had 6 leopards on quota on our ranch , and sold around 20 Leopard hunts a year in the district, in the last year of leopard hunting in Botswana the country had a quota of 13.

Astrologists would say its one of those things where everything is aligned and unique to this decade , tomorrow the sun will shine and we will all be emphatic the golden years of hunting are over .

In November we can only pray for a change in the political climate across the globe that will be less tolerant of lying liberals .

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I am looking to expand my project across the river in unchartered hinterlands. It is the want of an African community and they want the hunting model as it is all they know. In addition they seek from Government changes in the payments of trophies and other archaic safari structures. It is them who are seeking investment and the protection of their dormant lands. Attitudes like this will secure hunting in wild Africa.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Incredibly well put!

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not everyone has sharp eyes as yours to be able to shoot a buffalo with iron sights.[/QUOTE]

If you are going to hunt DG in Africa you should at least be able to shoot a buff with iron sights at 25yds.If you don't have the skills to do that then it might not be the place for you.
One is not in Disney land when in the African bush.[/QUOTE]

What if conditions, terrain and temperament of the animal do not offer the possibility in closing the distance to 25yds and the only available shot is between 75 to 100yds - shoot with irons and run the risk of hitting the wrong target or have a scope and lower the risk?

Just saying of course. coffee

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
It's easier to get within 25 yards of a buff cow rotflmo

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

When I was 20 years younger I was only shooting off irons and could empty the magazine of my 375 into a 9" paper plate and pop both rounds from my 500 into the same sized target at 100 yds.

Shortly after my 50th I discovered I could no longer do so because my shooting eye was unable to line up the target on the irons.
I was therefore obliged to invest in a scope with quick-release detachable mounts, a Rigby peep (which I drilled out to 4mm in the event the scope went south) which was mounted on the cocking piece of the mauser bolt by courtesy of Paul Roberts and a Panorama Red Dot regulated to 50yds for my double.

I dare say this arrangement got me(a red dot on a double in those days was a ticket to coventry - not so in the years that followed) back to where I left off and when I go totally blind in my right eye, I'll call it a day.

Are you still suggesting I and others who share a similar vision deficiencies have no business fart-assing around with DG in Africa simply because we are no longer able to accurately shoot with irons?

Moral of the story:
Shoot whichever caliber suits you best, with or without optical aids as it is the end result which counts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:

When I was 20 years younger I was only shooting off irons and could empty the magazine of my 375 into a 9" paper plate and pop both rounds from my 500 into the same sized target at 100 yds.

Shortly after my 50th I discovered I could no longer do so because my shooting eye was unable to line up the target on the irons.
I was therefore obliged to invest in a scope with quick-release detachable mounts, a Rigby peep (which I drilled out to 4mm in the event the scope went south) which was mounted on the cocking piece of the mauser bolt by courtesy of Paul Roberts and a Panorama Red Dot regulated to 50yds for my double.

I dare say this arrangement got me(a red dot on a double in those days was a ticket to coventry - not so in the years that followed) back to where I left off and when I go totally blind in my right eye, I'll call it a day.

Are you still suggesting I and others who share a similar vision deficiencies have no business fart-assing around with DG in Africa simply because we are no longer able to accurately shoot with irons?

Moral of the story:
Shoot whichever caliber suits you best, with or without optical aids as it is the end result which counts.

Wasting time and energy trying to educate someone who cannot be educated.

We are dealing with one of AR special character - one whose own PH (Buzz) has to come AR and call him out to be a liar.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
It's easier to get within 25 yards of a buff cow rotflmo

Naughty boy Jerry. shame

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Fellas:

I'm ending 2 1/2 weeks in Zim and the PHs I spoke to tell me nearly everyone is hurting from slow bookings. One has no hunts for two months. They blame the economy, Cecil, the US elephant ban, dwindling airlines that carry trophies, and the general public outlook towards hunting. Some tell me it is not a profession for younger men to get in to as the future is bleak.

That said, I've received emails of the instability of Zim and I can say it is peaceful, safe, road blocks are waved through quickly, easy to get in and out of the country with firearms, plenty of food and fuel, etc. I would recommend any and all come on a hunt as all was smooth--Bulawayo, Chiredzi, Gwanda, Harare--no problems or fears at all.

I went to the offices of the ZPHGA and they told me they have meetings scheduled with the USF&W to try to get the elephant ban lifted. They seem hopeful and have a plan for added scrutiny, paperwork, and overseeing the hunting processes and working more against poaching. They are hopeful for 2017 having the ban lifted but when I asked if ivory held in storage for the past couple of years would be included if successful they did not feel that would go through. Time will tell.

Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The market is comatose - an abundance of discounted deals, cancellation hunts, and open schedules.

Posts: 179 | Location: USA | Registered: 28 September 2014Reply With Quote