one of us
posted Hide Post

tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
458 chapters, here we come. I must read your last post RIP, before we click over to 111.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sambarman338,

Home is where the heart is for most people,
and home is where the fart is for other people, they fart a Lott.
I just made that up.
This thread is like home.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Gaur story.

And the 416 Weatherby pic.

A person could do a lot of nice hunting with a 416 Weatherby---says someone who loads the CZ Rigby up to Weatherby velocities. Smiler

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Good Gor reading !! Thanks RIP !

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
Thanks for the Gaur story.

And the 416 Weatherby pic.

A person could do a lot of nice hunting with a 416 Weatherby---says someone who loads the CZ Rigby up to Weatherby velocities. Smiler

My pleasure, .416Tanzan.
The Weatherby factory ammo uses a .416/350-gr TSX at about 2840 fps MV from a 24" barrel.
About like your .416 Rigby loads, but you use the TTSX 350-grainer and shoot flatter than that .416 Weatherby.

The rifle came with a factory target of 3 shots chronographed on an Oehler-logo-ed form.
Average was 2836 fps instrumental, and group was 0.70 MOA for the 3 shots at 100 yards.
I'll accept that for starters.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
Good Gor reading !! Thanks RIP !

My pleasure, CTF.
I learned to pronounce "gaur" from that, yep, like "gore" as in "gore my ox."

I have been distracted by a few other things lately.
Will get back to THE MISSION full blast soon.
.458 FULL NITRO
tu2
RIP ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, it don't get much better reading!!
tu2

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gaur pronounced gor as in blood and gore.
Col. Askins was an "advisor" to South Vietnam and there was an American General, his buddy, on the ground there too, about 1957 when their recreational "gore" hunting with the brand new .458 WIN was going on.
Velly interesting.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
The next year's GUN DIGEST of 1960 showed the following .458 WIN rifles offered,
which would have been from 1959 factory production:

The Boss Rifle

one of us
posted Hide Post
Price On Request

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Very Interesting Rotary Magazine:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecar Scopes and Mounts On Request!

one of us
posted Hide Post
English Made AND Reasonably Priced!
Has integral muzzle brake and integral scope bases, also a "range adapter" for side noise reduction available ... and pushfeed?

Ring-a-ding-ding goes THE MISSION bell.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP, so without reading the whole thread, I am guessing a CZ 550 that was a 458 Win Mag bored out to a 458 Lott if done properly may be the best of both worlds? 2.80 cases with a 500 grain TSX seated out long, Would it have enough freebore to crimp in the 4th or 5th groove?. Would give you a bit more capacity if your shoulder desires more recoil. Looks like to me all you really need is the 458 Win Mag with a 3.8 inch mag and enough freebore to seat the mono's long. More than enough recoil and velocity for most.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
English Made AND Reasonably Priced!
Has integral muzzle brake and integral scope bases, also a "range adapter" for side noise reduction available ... and pushfeed?

Ring-a-ding-ding goes THE MISSION bell.
tu2
Rip ...

Well, RIP, Colin Shadbolt had one, so they must have been OK. I'm not sure about the BESA range adaptor, though. While I'd love to see it used by the noisy b... at our local range, I can't really see how it would help them. Flinches develop at the range, not while shooting elephants, so shutting off the muzzle brake just when you need it might be counter-productive.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sambarman338,

I figured the Pecar scope, P.O.R., on the Leavell Mauser would have gotten more of a rise out of you than the BESA Range Adapter, obviously obsolete.

A Pecar with better eye relief than the setup pictured above, hopefully.
I am sure you could tell us which Pecar that might be.
How much forehead would a good Pecar peck if a good Pecar could peck forehead?
Say that three times real fast. Wink

A screw-on/off muzzle brake and some ear muffs and plugs would be more useful for sure than the BESA integral brake and Range Adapter.
Nowadays there are readily available suppressors that go onto .458 SOCOM's and could be adapted to the .458 WIN,
with a thread to match both brake and muffler.
If I run out of material to get to page 459 on this thread,
I will have to get a "silencer" fitted to a .458 WIN,
with a 1:10" twist and try subsonic and supersonic through the muffler.
The .458 WIN sure is "adaptable."
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
A review for Gale Johnson:

quote:
Originally posted by Gale Johnson:
RIP, so without reading the whole thread, I am guessing a CZ 550 that was a 458 Win Mag bored out to a 458 Lott if done properly may be the best of both worlds?

Yes, that might be so, but you will have to trim the .458 Lott brass a little short
if you want to make full use of the cannelures on the 500-grain TSX to equal the .458 WIN LongCOL,
to get it to 3.780" COL, which is about as long as the .458 WIN throat will handle.

The .458 Lott LongCOL of 3.730" is obtained when crimped on the second cannelure of the TSX 500-grainer with full length brass.
The .458 WIN LongCOL of 3.780" is obtained when crimped on the fifth cannelure of the TSX 500-grainer.
OK, a special case for sure.
With the 450-grain TSX the .458 Lott LongCOL delivers 3.730" COL when crimped on the second cannelure.
But the .458 WIN LongCOL gives a COL of only 3.680" when crimped on the 4th cannelure.
Best it can do with that bullet and making use of a secure crimp in the available cannelures.
Both of those bullets have same nose, 500-grainer has 5 cannelures, 450-grainer has 4 cannelures.
To make either of those TSX bullets fit into a .458 Lott with 3.6" box, with bullet crimped on first cannelure,
the .458 Lott brass has to be trimmed a bit short, like Barnes recommends in their manual.
So it is more like "a wash."
Unless you are sticking to short and light bullets, 400-grainers and lighter,
then the .458 Lott re-chambering into an existing .458 WIN rifle allows the .458 Lott to win
by using that 2.8" brass to seat the shorter bullets out farther than can be attained with 2.5" brass.
Higher velocity is possible, maybe better accuracy with the stubbier bullets too.
But, I have no complaints with 400-grainers at +2500 fps and good accuracy, from the .458 WIN LongCOL.
I have a Whitworth .458 Lott Like Jack Built.
I save it for use with 400-grain and lighter bullets and up to 3.6" COL.

The WARTHOG .458 Lott Like Jack Built
(only in the chambering)

(Ocular bell barely clears bolt handle when mounted this low.)

If you want a .458 Lott CZ, it is indeed best of all to get a .458 WIN SAAMI chamber and run a .458 Lott SAAMI reamer into it.
That creates a ".458 Lott Like Jack Built."

2.80 cases with a 500 grain TSX seated out long, Would it have enough freebore to crimp in the 4th or 5th groove?.

No, you are limited to the 2nd cannelure on the 500-grain or 450-grain TSX as explained above.
Crimping in the third cannelure gives a COL of 3.840" for the .458 Lott LongCOL and that is too long to fit in the residual .458 WIN throat
in a .458 Lott Like Jack Built.
You cannot even use it as a single-loader.
Some of the old, original, CIP homologation .458 Lott chambers will allow for .458 Lottsmoor COLs of over 4 inches.
That was a for a 2.8" case with the .458 WIN Leade reamed onto the end of it.
The revised CIP .458 Lott is short-throated, like the one and only SAAMI version of the .458 Lott,
which is not the .458 Lott Like Jack Built.

Would give you a bit more capacity if your shoulder desires more recoil.

Yes, the .458 Lottsmoor wildcat chambering was described by member srs shooter.
Perfect for a Ruger No.1 single shot that Kicksmore, and shoots like 450 Dakota factory loads.

Looks like to me all you really need is the 458 Win Mag with a 3.8 inch mag and enough freebore to seat the mono's long.

Yes, that is exactly what a CZ 550 Magnum with a SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum chamber is.
It allows the 500-grain TSX to be seated and securely crimped at 3.780" COL.
That is just barely off the lands and produces bughole-accuracy at 2250 fps and sub-1.5-MOA accuracy at 2342 fps
from the CZ 550 Magnum factory barrel that I had shortened from 25" to 24-7/8" length and installed on a Pre-'64 Winchester M70.
That is Ms. Chimera WinCZechster, with 3.4" magazine box, shoots LongCOL as a single-loader.

Ms. Alderella Shilen-Ruger, the stainless Knik Knocker, also has 3.4" box length.

Restocked:

I had a CZ 550 Magnum .458 Lott Like Jack Built ...

... but converted it back to .458 WIN with a 25" Shilen barrel:

That is Ms. Bobbarrella CZ-Shilen, with 3.8" box, a six-shooter magazine-repeater with LongCOL loads.

Of course I now need a .458 WIN with 3.6" magazine box length, and maybe a 1:10" twist, all the others are standard 1:14" ...
M70 Winchester, MRC M1999, or CZ 550 Magnum ...
maybe a shorter barrel too ...
decisions, decisions ...
M70 Super Grade .458 WIN, 3.4" box:

Whitworth MkX converted to .458/.416 Ruger due to ringed chamber of a factory .458 WIN, 3.4" box:

Most likely organ-donor rifle, with 3.6" mag box:

More than enough recoil and velocity for most.

Yep, more than enough, that is the .458 WIN in either 3.4", 3.6" or 3.8", pick your poison.
Or make it a .458 Lott like Jack Built.

With the 500-grain TSX, 3.788" was a NO GO in at least one of my .458 WIN rifles, it contacted lands on chambering.
So far 3.780" has been off the lands in all my SAAMI .458 WIN rifles,
with the 500-grain TSX, that special bullet.
The old Barnes X-bullet has a pointier ogive and it is a GO at 3.797" COL, in chamber and in magazine box of the CZ 550 Magnum.

Flattening the exposed lead of the Barnes Original 600-grainer (with a seater plug for FN)
makes it fit into 3.700" COL when seated with Can-Tool cannelure as shown.
That chambers in any SAAMI .458 WIN.
Works through the CZ 3.8" mag box.

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, thank you very much for the more than sufficient response. I have approximately 70 pounds of 450 and 500 grain TSX's, need to get a CZ 550 in 458 Win Mag set up soon. I see you also tested some Northfork's. How did they get along? I have used them on both of my first two safari's exclusively.

Thank you for the reply

Posts: 1013 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
sambarman338,

I figured the Pecar scope, P.O.R., on the Leavell Mauser would have gotten more of a rise out of you than the BESA Range Adapter, obviously obsolete.

A Pecar with better eye relief than the setup pictured above, hopefully.
I am sure you could tell us which Pecar that might be.
How much forehead would a good Pecar peck if a good Pecar could peck forehead?
Say that three times real fast. Wink

A screw-on/off muzzle brake and some ear muffs and plugs would be more useful for sure than the BESA integral brake and Range Adapter.
Nowadays there are readily available suppressors that go onto .458 SOCOM's and could be adapted to the .458 WIN,
with a thread to match both brake and muffler.
If I run out of material to get to page 459 on this thread,
I will have to get a "silencer" fitted to a .458 WIN,
with a 1:10" twist and try subsonic and supersonic through the muffler.
The .458 WIN sure is "adaptable."
tu2
Rip ...

Sorry RIP,
I've been a bit preoccupied preparing for my trip to your great land, and haven't even got back to read the story about the seladang.

Anyway, I think Leavell's Pecar is the 3-7x36 (or x35 - there seems to be some conjecture. I had one and assume that if the donor bell was from the 4x81, the objective lens should be 36mm.)

I don't recall that the eye relief was anything special but I think it had a bit of flexibility. As I've said, the name probably represents the pronunciation of the letters PK in German. The only other possibility I can see is the Spanish word for sin Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gale Johnson:
... I see you also tested some Northfork's. How did they get along? I have used them on both of my first two safari's exclusively.

Thank you for the reply

And thank you for THE MISSION support.

I have only about 50 pounds of North Fork 450-grainers in my stash of .458 bullets.
With 70 pounds of the TSX heavies in your stash, you are blessed indeed!

Either North Fork 450-grainer at 2450 fps
or 500-grainer at 2300 fps is great.

In the 404 Jeffery, the .423/380-grain North Fork SSP at 2500 fps is a stellar buffalo killer, a one-shot wonder.

The Cup Point might be even better.
Even more so if it is a .458/450-grainer in the .458 WIN LongCOL.
No doubt.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

Thus wrote Warren Page in GUN DIGEST 1961.
With all that good press for the .458 WIN, it is no surprise that a conspiracy arose to throttle The Boss Cartridge.
Parallels abound in politics today, with emphasis on fake news, zero vetting of wild claims, and fact-checkers needing fact-checking on themselves.
Too many satisfied riflemen is no good for future rifle sales of resurrected old cartridges and new creations yet to come.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for more good reading.

Page said he could write a book on rifle trios beyond the 30-06/375HH/458.

I think he is right for the non-handloader. I do respect those three calibers even though I've usually opted for slightly more velocity with the 270/338/416. I guess it's a Keith vs. OConnor sort of thing. I love Jack's logical smooth writing, yet I probably lean more to Keith in appreciating bore-size, using 338 for deer in North America. We've shot quite a few Spur-wing geese with the 270, a field-dominating gun up to impala/kob/puku size. But for hartebeest on up one can really warm to the 338 or 416. And what did we get Lady Tanzan for her Africa rifle? A 375Ruger. She shoots golf balls from a rest at a 100 yards so she's good to go. (She is a septuagenarian and only started her red-line hunting career with a deer at 70):

PS: A discussion of a three rifle set is iconic with the beginning of page 1 1 1.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
PPS, follow up on rifle trios mentioned above:

Here is a congratulations-picture of Lady Tanzan's first deer. Her hair color is natural, she just hasn't greyed much yet.

208 yards from the tree line across the opening, young Calif forky mule-deer.
The rifle: Tikka with after-market stock, 270 Win, using 110gn TTSX at 3350 fps.
The deer did not move.
Pretty nice for a first deer at 70.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

one of us
posted Hide Post
416Tanzan,

You have added a great new dimension to the .458 WIN thread.
The .458 WIN Poster Girl!
An old girl that looks like a young girl!
More photos of this phenomenon welcome, y'all.
It epitomizes the .458 WIN,
the 1956 cartridge that beats all the whippersnappers of lesser years and lesser versatility.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course, the 3-rifle battery is an important concept:
Of many excellent trios, my first choice would be all on Winchester M70 actions with 3.6" magazine box length:
.458 WIN LongCOL
.375 Weatherby Magnum
.264 WIN LongCOL
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post

Note joking reference to "a 395 Whistlepoof Magnum" by Warren Page in 1961.
I swear that Warren Page had nothing to do with the 2006 resurrection of the .395 caliber, a bullet caliber possibly first used in 1870's British BPCR.
The .395 Tatanka aka "the .40-07" is my favorite odd-ball.

Future material related to the .458 WIN, to be considered for THE MISSION, all suggestions welcome:

1. Fast twist barrel with suppressor and subsonic and supersonic loads with VLD bullets.
2. How light can a .458 WIN rifle sanely be?
3. Paper-patched bullets in the quest for cast-bullet versatility.
4. More .458 WIN Poster Girl photos.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of many excellent trios, my first choice would be all on Winchester M70 actions with 3.6" magazine box length:
.458 WIN LongCOL
.375 Weatherby Magnum
.264 WIN LongCOL
tu2
Rip ...

We're working on a modern update:

500 Acc Rel
375 Ruger (hers), 338wm (his)
308 Win

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
quote:
.458 WIN LongCOL
.375 Weatherby Magnum
.264 WIN LongCOL
tu2
Rip ...

We're working on a modern update:

500 Acc Rel
375 Ruger (hers), 338wm (his)
308 Win

RIP--
you could make your trio more accessible, as Warren Page was trying, by shifting to

458 Win
375 HH or Ruger
308 Win

Of course, if I were trying to get similar actions,

one could do the following in Ruger Hawkeye:
416 Ruger
375 Ruger // 338 WM (Hawkeye) though some might want to substitute the 9.3x62 in the Hawkeye 2019 special)
308 Win (Hawkeye)

But I might trim down to

416 Ruger (Ruger Hawkeye)
338 WM [though our TZ rifle is Tikka]

and Lady Tanzan
375 Ruger (Hawkeye Alaskan 20" LH)
308 Win (Kimber [OK, a bit inconsistent, but super light to compensate for being forced to a RH gun])

Hmmm, those are only two gun batteries. Oh well, it's off season at the moment.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
Picture of 458PHCAPSTICK
posted Hide Post
I want to load a 400gr.bullet in my 458 rifle with H4895 and try to duplicate the old 404 Jeffery load of 60grain cordite @ 2125fps.
How much H4895 should get me to that original 404 load? Iam guessing 72 grs?

Posts: 216 | Registered: 28 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458PHCAPSTICK:
I want to load a 400gr.bullet in my 458 rifle with H4895 and try to duplicate the old 404 Jeffery load of 60grain cordite @ 2125fps.

I think that will be close.

In a pair of M70 Post 63 Super Grades with 22" barrel, 70 grains of 4064 and the 400 grain Speer gave right on 2000 f/s. 70 grains of an Australian powder that was just like 3031 gave 2100 f/s.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458PHCAPSTICK
posted Hide Post
Thanks tu2

Posts: 216 | Registered: 28 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458PHCAPSTICK:

Sounds about right, depending on barrel length, COL and what 400-grain bullet you are using, of course.
Here is an H4895 starting load for Chimera WinCZechster with a 24-7/8" CZ barrel:

400-gr Barnes Original SSSP (BC = 0.389)
Hornady Brass 2.495" trim
F-215 primer (same as GM215M)
COL 3.395" crimped on a Can-Tool cannelure

H4895 76.0 grains >>> 2267 fps @ 5 yards = 2278 fps MV, corrected

Try 72.0 grains H4895, like you estimated.
Might be just right, depending on your barrel length, COL, etc.
If you have to go lower than 72.0 grains to slow it down to 2150 fps MV,
use a filler like Dacron fluff or caulk-backer foam wad and you might find a bugholer load.
Please report back on any results and specifics of your rifle and handload,
for THE MISSION.
tu2
Rip ...