THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Terminal Bullet Performance
Page 1 ... 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 ... 304

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terminal Bullet Performance Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
GREAT! Although I plan on using the 577NE on my hunt in 5 weeks, I'm using the 9.3X74R as a scoped backup gun just in case. I just received, yesterday, what I thought was to be my final CEB shipment of bullets prior to the hunt. 9.3 Non-Cons of the 6 petal design but with tips! I can't keep up! Guess I'll need some new 3 petal units prior to leaving. Maybe I'll just stick to solids if forced to the 9.3.
Perhaps work up your loading with the 6-petal NonCons while requesting expedited delivery of a few boxes of 3-petal NonCons. The Talon Tips are the same and your POA/POI should be the same. If buff is your smallest game the take the 3-petal NonCons for your 9.3; if non-DG are also on the list then mix the 3-petal and 6-petal #s accordingly.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Cappy:

Three petals. Six petals. Three band. Four band. Tips. No tips. Good heavens. I think a 9,3 with a 280 BBW#13 in each barrel would be just the ticket for buff but if you want a "soft" for the first shot, why not just use a 286 grain North Fork, Woodleigh, or Nosler to go with your 280 grain BBW#13 and be done with it? At 9,3 velocities, those bullets will all perform perfectly. We are "over thinking" this stuff.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Would not a tipped 3 blade non con be better on a buff in a 9,3x74 or 375 flanged than a solid?
Maximize impact velocity and damage. These hollow point brass bullets love velocity.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27588 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
All this repeated blather about medium calibers (9.3 & 375) for Buffalo bores me to tears. How many times does this need to be reviewed? As I have said before...

If you are satisfied with a "minimum" or "adequate" caliber for Buff then that's your choice. A .416 will do anything a .375 will, but will do it better.

Personally, I will always opt for something more. I killed my first Ele bull with a .375H&H and immediately started looking for a bigger rifle. I've never shot a buff with less than a .416 and the rest of my Ele have been killed with a .458.

Michael - perhaps you should again post the Buff heart shot by Beau with a .416Rem NonCon last month.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Michael has come to the rescue and we have it sorted out at this point. Thanks Michael. As much as anything, I was just taking the opportunity to bitch! Cool

Dave, the issue with going to a NF at this point is I don't have time to start over with that rifle. Remember the problem I had finding a load that would shoot to regulation with the scope? Yeah, I know your next comment! Take the scope off, it doesn't belong on a DR anyway, right?!! But remember, I have this gun as a back up and light rifle to my big boomer. My interest right now is to do some Double/Double safaris.

If I end up needing the 9.3 on a buff, I'll probably load a NC and Solid in each barrel. If I need more than those two rounds, hopefully I'll have the chance to switch back to the big gun.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Quarter million views served. That's a lot of myth busting education.

Posts: 27588 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
All this repeated blather about medium calibers (9.3 & 375) for Buffalo bores me to tears. How many times does this need to be reviewed? As I have said before...

If you are satisfied with a "minimum" or "adequate" caliber for Buff then that's your choice. A .416 will do anything a .375 will, but will do it better.

Personally, I will always opt for something more. I killed my first Ele bull with a .375H&H and immediately started looking for a bigger rifle. I've never shot a buff with less than a .416 and the rest of my Ele have been killed with a .458.

Michael - perhaps you should again post the Buff heart shot by Beau with a .416Rem NonCon last month.

Mike,

I agree with you 100%. The 9.3 in this case is a plains game rifle with the potential for back up duty only. Otherwise, I wouldn't consider it beyond shooting "rats" as Michael puts it!!

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Todd,

You are going well armed and I would expect no problems with your rifles nor your loads. I know you consider your 9.3 only as a back-up for Buff and Ele. Your 577 NE will handle the big boys just fine. And you are right not to mess with your loads at this point!

I expect my next Buff & Ele will fall to a 500 NE, a favorite DR caliber of mine. Wink

Keep well.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

I expect my next Buff & Ele will fall to a 500 NE, a favorite DR caliber of mine. Wink

A favorite of mine as well. Caliber and rifle!! Wink

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
animal

I knew that I could wake up this crowd!!!!!

Gees, been running my ass off today, and can't get caught up. Believe it or not, I actually do have a real job.

OK you guys have run on with the 9.3/375 thing more than I can even comment on, or even care to. Ya'll know by now what I think when it comes to buffalo! I love buffalo, I think about buffalo all the time. When I think about bullets--I think about shooting buffalo and how that bullet will do on buffalo in given caliber. My personal recommendation to anyone that wants to listen when it comes to buffalo--MINIMUM 416 caliber and me personally I'd rather start with .458 and go UP. Bullets? Is there anything besides a BBW#13 of whatever sort and North Forks? Does anyone need more than that? I think those will do, they will for me.

Now anything other than buffalo--my 9.3 B&M put things in the dirt like they were struck down from heaven, plains game and such. First time in my life I ever took the 9.3 to the field in April. I can't remember everything, but 3 zebras, 2 wildebeast, 2 hartebeast, assortment of impala, blesbok, and maybe even something else, but they were hammered, and better than any medium like 358 or 338 I had ever used on the same type animals. Little 210 Gr ESP Raptor 2950 fps in that little 19 inch gun of mine. So for such as this, excellent, buffalo--different story. But, we all know that already!

quote:
quote:

I expect my next Buff & Ele will fall to a 500 NE, a favorite DR caliber of mine.

A favorite of mine as well. Caliber and rifle!!

According to what Sam and I witnessed you would be just as well off with a 50 B&M Super Short!
rotflmo

CHeaper too--don't weigh but 6.25 lbs, 36 inches total length! Slams hell outta buffalo too!
hilbily

500 Nitro as a cartridge has always been about the perfect caliber/cartridge/velocity combo that always impressed me, until I did my various .500s on the Winchesters. My goals were to strive to be as effective on the animals I wanted to take as the 500 Nitro would be, with proper bullets. I achieved that goal and went beyond it. But, could not get there without proper bullet design, and "Over Thinking" it! And I am still at it too!!!!!

Dave, I know you don't understand or like the concept of the NonCons, and that is and always has been dandy with me, it's a hard concept to grasp no doubt. As for me personally, it's no skin off my ass one way or the other. But, since you have yet to see one in action, on animal tissue, then maybe you really should try one on something sometime? See for yourself! I have shot a lot of animals in my days afield, with many of the very best of bullets in many different calibers. I have gone to the field with Swift, Woodleighs, and Barnes many many many times. I have gone to the field with Hornady, Sierra, Speers, Noslers, Cast Performance, Oregon Trail, Kodiaks, Lehighs, Remingtons, Winchesters, and probably some more I just can't think of right now. I have studied internals, saw lot's of guts and such! LOL...... Spilled a lot of blood on the ground! The common catch phrase from everyone, including myself is this "I have never seen anything like that in my life". Now this is not coming from Joe down the street that shot one whitetail 10 yrs ago! This is coming from very experienced PHs, experienced shooters, hunters, you name it, that have seen literally 1000s of shots, does not matter, all the same story, "I never seen anything like this before" or similar to that statement.

So here is my deal to YOU---Pick out something you want to go hunt in the near future, I don't care what it is, deer is fine if you want, pick a caliber I deal with, and I will send some bullets to you for this adventure, no charge, no worries, just try them ONE TIME. One time only! If you don't like what you see, you ain't out nothing! Hell, if you do like it, then you don't even have to admit it in public, you can just tell me that is all, and I will even keep your secret safe, rest assured! You and I are pals as far as I am concerned, and it will remain that way too, but, if you don't try this one time, --------------------------------! 9/7/12-I have amended the end of this statement-It was an ugly thing for me to say-I am ashamed of myself-and too ashamed for it to remain seen!
LOL........ hilbily
beer

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
253 pages, 10103 posts, 250'074 Views!
shocker

Are we having fun yet?

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Michael does not just want to kill the buff but have them flip over, blood spewing drop on the spot. The 9,3 and 375 rack up some good numbers but some like to hammer them without chasing them.
So since no animal seems to run more than 50 yards with a non con or raptor in a decent shot I figured out that if hunting DG just know where the 50 yard line is Smiler

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Michael does not just want to kill the buff but have them flip over, blood spewing drop on the spot.

Works for me!

Reminders;

Buffalo Heart from 500 MDM 460 BBW#13 NonCon 2400 fps--This is cleaved in half--bad photo was taken in the dark in the shed.

Buffalo heart, frontal shot, 420 BBW#13 NonCon 458 B&M 2250 fps.

Top of a crocodiles head after he ran into a 420 BBW#13 NonCon from that same 458 B&M

Eland

Others

Hmmmmmm!
M

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

Michael,

No doubt in my mind about the 50B&M Super Short, and I may end up with one some day. But I have always had an urge to hunt Ele with a DR in 500NE; even tried the Sabatti (x2) in that caliber (before returning them). Would need BBW#13s, of course.

BTW, nothing could drop an Ele more effectively than my 458B&M shooting the BBW#13 450gr solid did last month! One shot to the CNS and the fight was over!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Holy Moly - impressive photos Eeker

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
253 pages, 10103 posts, 250'074 Views!
shocker

Are we having fun yet?
Oh yeah!!! And only in 34 months...

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD999:
Holy Moly - impressive photos Eeker
Lots of impressive information backed by photographs throughout this thread. If you've not read from page 1 to present you should do so.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many blades on that .620 NonCon? Is it suitable for anything bigger than jackrabbits?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2972 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
How many blades on that .620 NonCon? Is it suitable for anything bigger than jackrabbits?

Andy

I don't know man, I suppose it depends on just how big that jack is? Some really big ones, you might be a little "UnderGunned"---- rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Let me clue you guys in a bit, a little history on the BBW#13 NonCons!

Originally, there was not going to be any NonCons except for the bigger bores. These bullets were designed Very Very Specifically FOR BUFFALO! From 416 to .510 caliber. There were not going to be any others. Once the BBW#13 Solids were perfected, with all the tweaks, adjustments, and improvements, the #13 NonCons were the "First Strike" Buffalo bullets. With absolutely no intentions of them going any further than that.

The damned things proved so successful in how they worked, trauma inflicted, penetration achieved they naturally migrated into what is now a Vast amount of bullets, in every caliber, Raptors, Lever Gun designed, short nose for tips in bolts, the tips themselves, and so on. We now have #13 NonCons from .224 caliber up to .620 caliber, in several configurations to meet that calibers and specific cartridges within that calibers needs. I have never and I don't think there ever has been such a vast array of bullets put together in this amount of time in history. You see the catalog--that is a lot of bullet design. A hell of a project! And, if you have paid attention to this thread, you have watched it every single step of the way, the ups, downs, failures, and the successes, all right here. Most questions answered, right here.

Once and awhile, now that I have a bit more time on my hands since terminals are not an everyday affair, then I answer a few more questions that comes to my mind.

One of these questions concerns this, "To Tip or Not".

There are obvious situations to adding the tip and it has EVERY ADVANTAGE and zero downside or compromise. Double Rifles #1 on that list. Shoot a double rifle with BBW#13 NonCons, put that tip in, it makes a world of difference at Impact Velocity, no matter what the range, 10 yds or 50 yds. Same with a Single shot rifle as well.

We run into tip issues with bolt guns, limited by magazine. Someone here is pretty damned smart! Since this bullet tech enhances all cartridges, we have carried over to the Lever Guns. Lever guns have to have the bands moved forward, and short noses, to run through the limited length actions available. This short nose, band forward design is conducive also to using that same bullet, seated deep for bolt gun cartridges, add the tip, and fits the magazine. Dual use bullets, lever gun or bolt gun. In this capacity the Big Bore Raptors are designed for this as well.

Compromise????

Yes, unfortunately sometimes there is a compromise, and we as shooters/hunters live with compromise in everything we do or choose. It is in some way, a compromise of some sort.

Big Bore Raptors! We all know, I don't care much for the big bore Raptors, and some of that is because of the B&M cartridges. Short and too much case capacity is removed with them by using a Raptor. Also by design, seating the BBW#13 Solid end down in the case, it tends to push powder to the side when compressed, not straight down like a flat base does. This action limits case capacity even more, as the case tends to bulge, and this causes chambering issues. Compromise? If you want the Raptor, then you will compromise a few more grains of Case Capacity because of the bulging issue.

Flat Base Lever Gun Bullets! These bullets also are seated deep by necessity to work through lever gun actions. They too take up case capacity, but with this bullet you can compress more powder because it compresses straight down, not to the side. Still, you can only do so much before running into those same bulging issues, or pressure issues, depending on the powder of course. This makes a dandy bullet to use as a deep seated NonCon for use with tips, and fit the magazines of bolts.

Standard BBW#13 with a Long Nose Projection! These have the bands more to the rear, longer nose projection from .600 to .700 out of the case. You increase Case Capacity greatly, reducing pressures and gain much more muzzle velocity. But, you cannot use this bullet tipped, and it still fit in the magazine, too long. One can take this bullet, add a tip, single load it up front and back it up with standard NonCons or solids in the magazine.

With these things in mind, my question was this;

What gives the highest "Impact Velocity" at 50 yards? Tipped Lever Gun Bullet, starting out at lower velocity, Standard NonCon starting out at much higher velocity, but no tip?????

Well, we just happen to have two bullets to do this with. Both .458 Caliber, both 295 grs, #13 NonCon for Lever Guns, and a long nose version designed for the 458 B&M Super Short.

I ran this test with two chronos, one up front, and one at 48 yards. Distance between the two Chronographs is 42 yards for those of you who want to run BC. I am not interested in BC on this test, I want to know what the Impact Velocity is, which of course is governed by BC.

I used a 458 B&M with 18 Inch barrel! To equal pressure the 295 #13 NonCon Lever Gun seated deep I can use 73/H-4198. The 295 #13 NonCon long nose, or SS bullet I can use 78/H-4198. Equal Pressure.

Results!

Summary

You see 3 different tests.

#1--295 Lever Gun seated deep, with tip. It starts out at a full 100 fps less than the 295 SS, but yet it arrives at target with a Impact Velocity of 66 fps MORE than the 295 SS with no tip!

While that may not seem like a big deal, it is in fact rather substantial.

Moving to the 295 SS bullet pay particular attention to the "starting Velocity" with the tip added to that bullet! 46 fps MORE with the tip, than without the tip! Reason? The chronograph is set up 6 yards in front of the muzzle, it seems to have gained velocity, true, but more Truthful, you have Lost Less Velocity at 6 yards, 46 fps! In many cases, that's 2 grs of powder, and increased pressure, and this is for "Free". LOL... At a full 48 yards with increased velocity up front, you hit at 48 at 2628 fps, a full 142 fps faster than the 295 LG Tipped, but having to start out at lower velocity because of the seating depth.

Are you beginning to see some of the compromises one must choose to make?

I hate compromise! But in some cases, there is no choice, and every choice is a compromise, regardless of which choice you make!

That's it for me today! At least anything that could possibly be considered of any consequence anyway!
beer

Michael

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
The quick down and dirty estimation is 0.176 BC w/o the Talon S Tip and 0.338 BC with the Talon S tip...

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Michael does not just want to kill the buff but have them flip over, blood spewing drop on the spot.

Works for me!

Reminders;

Buffalo Heart from 500 MDM 460 BBW#13 NonCon 2400 fps--This is cleaved in half--bad photo was taken in the dark in the shed.

A question. Which will die quicker. A buff with a shot like above or one with an 1/1/2" hole through the top of the heart or the aorta? Also why do you think so.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:
The quick down and dirty estimation is 0.176 BC w/o the Talon S Tip and 0.338 BC with the Talon S tip...

Doc M,
I'll drink to that too. beer
I just got back into "The Dark and Bloody Ground" after 3 months in the Dakotas.

When I get caught up on the snail mail, I will try those samples (thank you very much)
of CEB .458 ESP S300 Raptor 300-grainers in my .458 B&M,
with and without tips forward, as softs,
and as solids, with hollowpoint trailing.

Will fill that trailing hollowpoint with Dacron fluff filler and use the same charges for all.
Just an experiment to avoid powder charge tinkering, for those so inclined.
I expect it will work to my standards of easy accuracy.tu2

Then I have those samples (thank you very much)
of CEB .500-caliber NonCons to try in the 49-10:

DGBR-HP W14LG LEVER GUN NonCon .500 375GR BBW#13
DGBR-HP W16 BRASS NonCon HP .500 375GR BBW#13
and
DGBR-HP W21LG LEVER GUN NonCon .500 365GR BBW#13

Also my North Fork .500-caliber 450-gr and 375-gr FP copper solids, with new nose shape, have been lying fallow too long.
49-10 load tinkering coming up.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
quote:
[QUOTE]Michael does not just want to kill the buff but have them flip over, blood spewing drop on the spot.

Works for me!

Reminders;

A question. Which will die quicker. A buff with a shot like above or one with an 1/1/2" hole through the top of the heart or the aorta? Also why do you think so.

465H&H

If you split the heart, there will be zero blood flow out of the heart to systemic circulation.
If the hole is "only" 1.5" through the great vessels or atria at top of heart, then there is a chance of some greatly diminished, but continued, systemic circulation for a few seconds longer.

Split heart dies a few seconds faster. A few seconds less chance for mischief with a split heart. coffee

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:

465H&H
If you split the heart, there will be zero blood flow out of the heart to systemic circulation.
If the hole is "only" 1.5" through the great vessels or atria at top of heart, then there is a chance of some greatly diminished, but continued, systemic circulation for a few seconds longer.

Split heart dies a few seconds faster. A few seconds less chance for mischief with a split heart. coffee
This statement I agree with along with its underlying rational.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
These bullets are a real "Heartbreaker" Wink
If they can only run 50 yards without lungs or heart just be sure to know where the 50 yard line is Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Does anyone else here not think that what Sam and Michael observed in Australia was interesting regarding a fast light 50 Non Con was more effective than a heavy slower Non Con? The Super Shorts were more effective with the lighter bullets than the 500 NE with heavies. Yes don't try light and fast with a conventional bullet but WOW! These bullets love velocity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw it this year with a 235 gn Woodleigh Hydro
doing the same job in terms of damage and penetration on Buffalo.

Where as I would normally use a 300 gn in a 375H&H, the lighter versions of these bullets do it just as well.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Uh oh, there he goes again, mentioning a .375-caliber rifle for buffalo hunting ... on Doc M's thread ... faint

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Uh oh, there he goes again, mentioning a .375-caliber rifle for buffalo hunting ... on Doc M's thread ... faint

Not only that but "Woodleigh" as well!! Whistling

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Michael, regarding start velocity and impact velocity discussion... the 458 bullets seem to be the max diameter for most big bore shooters unless getting into custom or expensive guns. In a 458 win mag a tipped raptor can maximize impact velocity so that is a good niche for the 300 grain 458 ESP Raptor. Regarding the bulge issue for highly compressed loads... Are there other powders that you have used that show good results without compression?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boomstick,

I don't think I ever said the super shorts with light bullets were more effective than the 500NE with heavies. I did say that I saw in my 500NE that the tipped 475 gr non con was more effective or showed more shock than the 535 gr non tipped non cons. The super shorts both in 475 and 500 caliber were very effective on buffalo and I think with BBW#13 non cons and Northfork CPSs in these super shorts made them more effective than maybe a 500NE with conventional soft point bullets. Hope this clears things up. Sorry I wasn't able to meet you when you came by Michael's.

Sam

Posts: 2827 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Sorry if I misquoted. Yes would have been great to chat and meet. I was posting about how well the large light fast bullets seemed to be quite capable on the buff from reports. You guys proved the big bore super shorts can be an effective killer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Works for me!

Reminders;

465H&H

RIP,

My thought was that if the heart is split open and can no longer pump, the amount of blood loss is then related to the size of the vein feeding blood to the heart. That amount would drain just as quickly from a 1/1/2" hole as a split heart. If the bullet puts a 1 1/2" hole in the aorta then when the heart pumps the blood will follow the path of least resistance and go out that hole rather than into the arteries where resistance is much higher.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Michael:

You know that I think that the BBW13 solids you and Sam developed are incredible. You and Jeff were the guys who got me hooked on 'LIGHT AND HANDY". You are a real gentlemen and nobody appreciates all your hard work more than I do. However, you are right. I just don't have any interest in the non cons, especially when there are superb alternatives available from North Fork, Barnes, Swift, Nosler, and Woodleigh. I also don't share your views about the 9,3 or .375 so, I will take your advice and just "shut up". If I have offended you in any way, I am truly sorry. coffee

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Afraid of a little competition that works ?

Both animals would have died from the first heart shot ....

I also took photos of the heart of one of the
animals as the effect of the Hydro was to create a huge V in the side of the heart as opposed to a nicer ragged 1 inch hole that normal lead bullets create.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Michael:

You know that I think that the BBW13 solids you and Sam developed are incredible. You and Jeff were the guys who got me hooked on 'LIGHT AND HANDY". You are a real gentlemen and nobody appreciates all your hard work more than I do. However, you are right. I just don't have any interest in the non cons, especially when there are superb alternatives available from North Fork, Barnes, Swift, Nosler, and Woodleigh. I also don't share your views about the 9,3 or .375 so, I will take your advice and just "shut up". If I have offended you in any way, I am truly sorry. coffee

Dave

No man! Honestly, I might have been a little on the rough side on that comment! I apologize, and really did not mean or want you to take it that way! You have no need at all to apologize! No, you have not offended me at all! I know where you stand, you know where I am, and I don' t disagree with you, North Forks are great bullets, and I support that 100% as well, I have shelves full of them! Barnes TSX, excellent bullet, but Barnes is on my shit list for being traitorous bastards! Swift, used many a Swift always with success. Nosler, not so much a fan of Noslers, not for the buffalo world. I can get by for the rest of my days with CEB and North Fork, never need any of the others for anything.

So we are not far apart, and I know how hard headed you are! hilbily And my god, you have come around to my way of thinking on many many things, I can let you by with one that you don't! LOL.....

Please, don't shut up, and forgive my choice of words please. I consider you a great asset to any thread or conversation I am involved in! And, enjoy you being around!

Sincerely
Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
quote:

Afraid of a little competition that works ?

animal animal animal animal

I am so sorry to tell you ole boy, but you cannot in any way possible, no matter what you do, no matter what you come up with, if you try for the next 1000 years, you cannot compete with Me!

I am not in the bullet business!

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael

That comment of mine was directed at RIP,
not you. I know you are not in the bullet business,
just providing a superb service to hunters with
your testing.

I enjoy our, sometimes heated, discussions on here tu2 Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
Michael

That comment of mine was directed at RIP,
not you. I know you are not in the bullet business,
just providing a superb service to hunters with
your testing.

I enjoy our, sometimes heated, discussions on here tu2 Big Grin

Then don't get your panties in a bunch over a .375-caliber joke on the Big bore forum!
Glad to see you included a Big Grin when you adjusted those panties above.

I actually like .375 Caliber rifles for things bigger than rats.
But a .375 with a Woodleigh bullet: Rat gun only!!!
Big Grin
(Hint: That was a joke too.)