Find
Notify
Tools

Mini Action
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
As noted above, if the magazine (w/solid floorplate) is long enough, a .250 Savage cartridge in the small gun is excellent. My Zastava action was modified and a #1 contour bbl chambered for .250Sav put onto it. I did have to seat the bullets a little deeply, but it's a dream to carry and shoot...until my left-handed granddaughter shot it once and batted her eyes at her grandfather...

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McGowenRifle:
Ouch!

Dan

I know, tuff crowd Mad

animal
Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan ,
Do you have a web-site where we can visit and learn more ??????

Posts: 343 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what is so hard about taking a G.33/40 action, shortening it 1/2 inch, and putting a straddle floorplate on it? You would have the perfect mini action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allen Martin:
Dan ,
Do you have a web-site where we can visit and learn more ??????

Allen,

Not yet. I am currently working on a temporary website for American Gun Company. The website address will be http://www.americangunllc.com when it is complete. Should be in a few days. I won't have any vital information or images on the website until we have the design finished, prototyped and tested but will try to keep everyone informed as to the progress

Dan

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
I don't know about all the 'traditionalists' not liking a DBM. Get over it! if you don't want to remove it, don't!

Fish,
it's not the removable part...

it's the FUGLY part that I can't get over on a cz 527

FUGLY

NOT fugly
AMAZING
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:

These pictures have cost me a small fortune Big Grin That is one beautiful barreled action.

Terry

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39577 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post

Surface grind the billboard off the side, replace the bottom metal with a bow release straddle floorplate, put a 3-postion safety on (optional) and a new bolt handle (also optional) and you would have the nicest mini action ever made!

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surface grind the billboard off the side, replace the bottom metal with a bow release straddle floorplate, put a 3-postion safety on (optional) and a new bolt handle (also optional) and you would have the nicest mini action ever made!

Terry[/QUOTE]

Wait till you see ours.

Dan

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Here's a good reference pic for a mini action.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1860 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, I will take one. Chambered for .250 and a swept back handle like you did on the little Kimber and the MiniX would make my day.

Posts: 109 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

Terry

Wait till you see ours.

Dan

Will do, I promise! I'm just pitching the things I think would make your action a winner. I assumed you started the thread looking for idea's. I'm on your side on this Wink

Just build the one like gunmaker pictured and you'll have a waiting list for these! dancing

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm really chomping at the bit to show everyone what it will look like but I have to step back and take a deep breath and just say "wait and see". I think the wait will definately be worth it.

Just to mention one minor detail (can't help myself) the bolt handle will be the customers choice.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After speaking with the boss we just wanted to reiterate that we will be making traditional bottom metal for the mini action with a floorplate etc. I know that there were those who did not like the removable box magazine look on the action (such as the CZ 527) so we will offer those who don't want it the more traditional look.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That will sell you more receivers Dan.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,
I just received images of the bottom metal configuration with the removable box magazine and I believe that each and every one of you( okay, maybe not all) will like the clean look of it. If I knew how to post an image from my computer (image is not on line) I would show you the difference.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's a good reference pic for a mini action.

Gunamker

Remind me again, what is that gorgeous action. did you do the custom barrel on that rifle? Gorgeous work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey guys,
I just received images of the bottom metal configuration with the removable box magazine and I believe that each and every one of you( okay, maybe not all) will like the clean look of it. If I knew how to post an image from my computer (image is not on line) I would show you the difference.

Dan

McGowen

Go to Photobucket and sign up for a FREE account. Then, upload your photos on your computer to that free account. Then, when you want to post a photo here, Post the URL of the photo on Photobucket in the Photo box (next to last icon above when you are posting) and hit the okay button. Try it and if you need help with it we can walk you through it. We want to see photos of your action!!!!!!! popcorn

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim-

Is that the Hein short action?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
It's a Harre Mini action. Bolt diameter is around .550". I did the bolt, barrel, recut bases & rear tang etc.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1860 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I somehow missed SDH's post when I read this thread earlier. He accurately said exactly what I was thinking. I have seen a lot more actions talked about than ever built. I am on the short end of one of those "real cool short action" deals even as we speak. Frowner

It is just like the keyboard cowboy ass kickers on the net. I have seen many, many, many orders of magnitude more people say "If I were you, I would go kick his ass! I meann it!" than I have ever seen actual ass kickings in real life. Hell in theory we can all be what we want to be, right!?! rotflmo

OK, last edit thing i forgot to say-

Jim, once again you have set a high bar for which the rest of can strive. Your work is always excellent. THat reciever looks great after you worked it over thumb

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who is Harre?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
Excuse em, but haven't we heard All of this before? Yawn......
I've got my own dreams going so please don't wake me up until you've got an action for sale.

Here's a Granite Mt. shorty, yes, it is a real action and last I heard could be purchased.

Now you can explain how much better you're dream will be and how much less it will cost.
Yawn.....

Not from us you haven't

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
quote:
Hey guys,

Dan

McGowen

Go to Photobucket and sign up for a FREE account. Then, upload your photos on your computer to that free account. Then, when you want to post a photo here, Post the URL of the photo on Photobucket in the Photo box (next to last icon above when you are posting) and hit the okay button. Try it and if you need help with it we can walk you through it. We want to see photos of your action!!!!!!! popcorn

22WRF, Thank you I'll go there.

Please remember that this is a computer image generated from the CAD files. I will only show the bottom metal at this time as I have said before we are currently in the process of fine tuning the design and parts of the design are going to be patented.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan-

Will the McGowen Mini Action be able to handle the .22 Hornet?

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was it ever established that this mini action is going to be a controlled feed action?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30 Caliber Mag Fan:
Dan-

Will the McGowen Mini Action be able to handle the .22 Hornet?

Mark,
I talked to Ken inquiring as to whether it could be made to work. He said that it would require a different mag box and he didn't believe our extractor would work. He suggested the 221 Fireball.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
22WRF,
It will be a push feed.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
22WRF,
It will be a push feed.

Dan

Thats too bad. thumbdown

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who is Harre?

That's a good question. I don't know if he's an idea man or a gunsmith. bewildered

Dan
If you're planing on using similar rails (guard screw spacing) for hinged floor plate and drop box magazine you better make sure there's enough room for the hinge mortise between the front guard screw and the mag box. The CZ doesn't have enough room. Building a hinged plate for a CZ 527 would require something to FIX this problem. From looking at your picture it looks like it's about as short as the CZ from the mag to front screw. The release in the bow is a nice touch. A friend of mine built a hornet with a drop magazine that used the 09 style release years ago. Pretty slick way to get that custom look.

If you guys are serious about getting something patented just remember that anything that has been in use for a year or more cannot be patented. I don't mean the patent won't be granted, I mean it won't hold up in court $$$. It's also not the job of the Patent Lawyer to get you a bullet proof patent. It's the job of the lawyer to MAKE MONEY. If he gets you a patent on something like say a spiral fluted barrel and these have been made and used years before then you have to PAY the patent lawyer to defend a patent that shouldn't be granted in the first place. The lawyer will make more money and the patent may ultimately be useless. Except to the lawyer. He still got paid. TWICE! If you guys come up with a novel idea and wish to patent it just remember if someone can prove that the idea had been in use for at least a year before the filing of your patent then it will do you no good. If you get a bullet proof patent thumb it does mean that NO ONE can make the patented item EVEN FOR PERSONAL USE. This would be infringement of patent. Not sure why so many think otherwise?

Hope you guys get it built. As others have said, it's one of those common pipe dreams that many like to talk about. horse

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
22WRF,
It will be a push feed.

Dan

Thats too bad.

Expecting a charging groundhog or antelope?

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Who is Harre?

That's a good question. I don't know if he's an idea man or a gunsmith. bewildered

Dan
If you're planing on using similar rails (guard screw spacing) for hinged floor plate and drop box magazine you better make sure there's enough room for the hinge mortise between the front guard screw and the mag box. The CZ doesn't have enough room. Building a hinged plate for a CZ 527 would require something to FIX this problem. From looking at your picture it looks like it's about as short as the CZ from the mag to front screw. The release in the bow is a nice touch. A friend of mine built a hornet with a drop magazine that used the 09 style release years ago. Pretty slick way to get that custom look.

If you guys are serious about getting something patented just remember that anything that has been in use for a year or more cannot be patented. I don't mean the patent won't be granted, I mean it won't hold up in court $$$. It's also not the job of the Patent Lawyer to get you a bullet proof patent. It's the job of the lawyer to MAKE MONEY. If he gets you a patent on something like say a spiral fluted barrel and these have been made and used years before then you have to PAY the patent lawyer to defend a patent that shouldn't be granted in the first place. The lawyer will make more money and the patent may ultimately be useless. Except to the lawyer. He still got paid. TWICE! If you guys come up with a novel idea and wish to patent it just remember if someone can prove that the idea had been in use for at least a year before the filing of your patent then it will do you no good. If you get a bullet proof patent thumb it does mean that NO ONE can make the patented item EVEN FOR PERSONAL USE. This would be infringement of patent. Not sure why so many think otherwise?

Hope you guys get it built. As others have said, it's one of those common pipe dreams that many like to talk about. horse

Gunmaker,
We have taken a hinged type floorplate design in consideration, but I do thank you for your input, it is always welcome as there are no bad ideas. Once the design is complete on the floorplate design I'll see what I can do about posting some type of image of it here if I can.

For everyone who wanted a CRF type mini I think you'll like what we have in store for you on this action. Unfortunately everyone will have to wait to see.

We'll get it built. As I have said in previous posts our boss is passionate about the industry and so far really likes the mini design. We are approximately 85% done with the design now.
Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As I have said in previous posts our boss is passionate about the industry and so far really likes the mini design.

With all due respect, that is what seems to be the problem with many of the guns being made today. The boss really likes the design. Maybe a lot of folks will too, and you will sell a lot of them. None to me though.

If it were me, I would let my customers dictate the design whether I liked it or not!! stir

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan -

Nobody on this site knows me from Adam. I am an innovator and inventor and I know that you must not bow to "the crowd" when you know you have a better mousetrap.

Show them! thumb

Best of luck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will it have an integral recoil lug?

posted Hide Post
I am an avid varmint hunter and can not wait to see one of these new mini actions. I would suggest to all you people with negative comments to withhold your opinions from this forum until we have more information on the final design. Watch out for thoses charging gophers!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I agree that it would be pretty foolish of me to judge American Gun LLC by someone else's unfulfilled promises or premature marketing. As far as I'm concerned, Dan deserves the clean slate that he's bringing with him. It's his word that he's putting up; and that's still a serious enough thing to me not to preemptively devalue it. So as of now, I'm definitely one of the genuinely excited on-lookers (especially for that left-bolt version). Wink

Posts: 215 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1894mk2,
Yes it will have a integral recoil lug.

Ian,

Thank you for your comments. The one thing that I have always tried to do on here is be as up front as possible. There is absolutely no way that you can make an action that will appeal to 100% of the public. We believe that what we will be making will have widespread appeal to it once we can disclose the design. I have also been very careful not to fall into the trap of "guaranteeing" the delivery or availability of the action. Even after the design work is done there are still quite a number of steps we must go through before we release any of these to the public. We are not in this for the quick buck, we expect to be around long after I have left this world.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
As I have said in previous posts our boss is passionate about the industry and so far really likes the mini design.

With all due respect, that is what seems to be the problem with many of the guns being made today. The boss really likes the design. Maybe a lot of folks will too, and you will sell a lot of them. None to me though.

If it were me, I would let my customers dictate the design whether I liked it or not!! stir

22WRF,
I respect your opinion on this subject, but I can assure you that the boss is not your average businessman. His knowledge on guns and their history is astounding. He listens to our ideas, gives a few of his own and we sit down and put them together. I can also assure you that if the design was not up to our standards the idea of it would have been scrapped long ago.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan, it is very shrewd of you to listen to your potential customer base. The Internet offers potential for this unheard of in the past.

I hope the participants here will prove experienced enough to understand at which level of the process this action is currently at: early design level. That means, no promises have been made in terms of when this product will hit the street in commercial numbers. In all the action development processes I have followed over the last 4-5 years, *something* has always managed to delay the new products in one way or the other. This action is not likely to be an exception in this respect. What matters is that it does eventually happen, and that the product is right.

-mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe this has already been posted elsewhere. McGowenRifle where can one find you contact info.........website address............pricing and purchasing and specs etc on your products?

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote