Notify
Tools

Mini Action
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Lovely,.......yes..yes...lovely....oh..yes..yes..very..very..lovely...it's...very..very..lovely.
rotflmo
Timan

Posts: 1225 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
Lovely,.......yes..yes...lovely....oh..yes..yes..very..very..lovely...it's...very..very..lovely.
rotflmo
Timan

Couldn't say it better myself.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd love to even see a sketch of this new action, or a solid CGI model of it..

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
I'd love to even see a sketch of this new action, or a solid CGI model of it..

Go to http://www.americangunllc.com/223mini.htm you'll see a ghosted image of it in the background. Right now that is the best that I can do until testing is complete.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there a price for the barrelled actions yet?

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No CM? Too bad I will choose to pass now.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like stainless, I'll still take a couple!

Looking forward to it!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this available in stainless only ......????

Posts: 343 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in CM only, but if it looks like a 600 Rem. and has a separate recoil lug, No thanks.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trouthunterdj:
Is there a price for the barrelled actions yet?

Not yet, due to the fact that we are still in the testing phase of the action, we don't want to give out preliminary pricing on it before it is 100% ready to go.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Howard:
No CM? Too bad I will choose to pass now.

There might be a chance that we offer some in chrome moly, I'm sure that we can throw in some in chrome moly. Like I said, most of the people we have talked to (not all) have said that they wanted stainless. And our experience in a previous company with pre-orders for their mini action the vast majority of the orders were stainless.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I would be interested in CM only, but if it looks like a 600 Rem. and has a separate recoil lug, No thanks.
Butch

Butch,

Please read my response to Howard on the chrome moly. It is not a Remington 600, but that is the closest thing to it. It is an action all its own. I think that once we throw out some images of the action you may (maybe not) change your mind on the lug.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allen Martin:
Is this available in stainless only ......????

Allen,

Our initial thought was to do only stainless but by reading the posts here we are rethinking our stance on that.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know that this blog is about the Mini but thought that I'd mention that we are also cominig out with a 1885 Hi Wall action. Should be available within the next month.

Dan

posted Hide Post
So is pricing known on the Hi Walls or is it a secret also? I presume (and hope) the Hi Walls will NOT be stainless steel! Is this a faithfull copy of a Hi Wall or has the design been altered? If so, how?

Posts: 57 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dedseven:
So is pricing known on the Hi Walls or is it a secret also? I presume (and hope) the Hi Walls will NOT be stainless steel! Is this a faithfull copy of a Hi Wall or has the design been altered? If so, how?

There are no secrets, we are working with vendors right now on all the machining, pins, springs, screws and all so until I have all of those figures in my hands I could only guess at the price of the action. I would hate to come in here or anywhere else and say "the price of the Hi Wall is $500.00" and find out that the "cost" of making the action is $499.00. Once everything is in place, I will be the first one in here to give you a price. It is only in Chrome Moly, there will be no stainless in this action whatsoever. It is a true copy of the High Wall, in fact I believe according to one of our good friends in the industry that it will accept original Winchester parts.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Dan (and Guys)

I was surprised (very pleasantly so) to see that you may be offering a Hi-Wall. If you can bring this to the market at $600-$800 as a true copy I think you will get some sales, certainly one from me down here in NZ if your agent does not gouge us.

I also frequent the ASSRA (American Single Shot Rifle Association - www.assra.com ) forum, but have seen no mention of your action there. It might be useful to discuss it with the significant number of very knowledgeable folks who hang out over there.

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dan,

Thank you for the information on your Hi Wall actions. It is very good news that it will be a faithful copy of the original! I anxiously await their release. I have been looking at your website and it appears that your actions are sold only with one of your barrels. I am sure that you fellows make a fine barrel, but some of us prefer cut rifled tubes. Any chance of getting actions separately?

Posts: 57 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McGowenRifle:
I know that this blog is about the Mini but thought that I'd mention that we are also cominig out with a 1885 Hi Wall action. Should be available within the next month.

Dan

Great news indeed. I guess if you're still working with vendors then the bold bit above is a typo? I'm looking forward to seeing them.

cheers,
- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am interested in if it will eventually be available in a left-bolt, right-port configuration...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is getting irritating to me, and I'm betting a few others. Why don't you report back when you CAN give us some usable information.

Cheers!

Posts: 325 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 11 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have a single digit serial numbered, left handed, stainless, MRC short action and the wait for information on this action is nothing like it was for that one.

At least McGowan has not taken deposits and changed their delivery date by years. I was on the list for a LH MRC PH action a loooooong time before I quit.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
I am interested in if it will eventually be available in a left-bolt, right-port configuration...

That is our plan right now is that after our standard version comes out we'll go ahead and do a left hand bolt, right hand ejection.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hardin284:
This is getting irritating to me, and I'm betting a few others. Why don't you report back when you CAN give us some usable information.

Cheers!

I apologize that I cannot give out too much information. As with any new product whether it be a rifle action or a toaster you have to go through the testing of the product to ensure that there are no problems and that there are no modifications necessary to make it perfect. Believe me when I say that I want this out as much if not more than anyone out there. Finally I get to work with a product that from everything we see so far is flawless. I know that doesn't do much for you guys right now but I think that again, the finished product is definately worth the wait.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I have a single digit serial numbered, left handed, stainless, MRC short action and the wait for information on this action is nothing like it was for that one.

At least McGowan has not taken deposits and changed their delivery date by years. I was on the list for a LH MRC PH action a loooooong time before I quit.

Thank you! I understand about the other as I was there from the beginning of the 1999. We are being very careful what we are putting out there and even more careful not to say "It will be ready on this date". We are trying to do this process right, go from design to prototyping to testing to any modifications necessary and once all testing is done, production!.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any news/updates you can share with us about this product development effort?

Posts: 215 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTT

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McGowenRifle:
It is a true copy of the High Wall, in fact I believe according to one of our good friends in the industry that it will accept original Winchester parts.
Dan

Dan, IF it accepts original parts then it will sell quite well. If it does not accept original parts then it will not sell well, and the lower sales will be in proportion to the interchangability. IMO if you're making it so that original parts won't interchange then I think you've wasted your money. Perhaps the chief advantage and reason for the overwhelming popularity of the Winchester wall actions is their parts availability and interchangability. To abandon this interchangability would be, IMO, the height of foolishness. That's why many of us curse the Italian action (re)designers, they messed up at least three good action designs. Hope your action is OK in this respect.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any updates?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The prototype guns and actions were on display at the Shot Show and the ACGG Show.

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So ????

Posts: 375 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would really like to hear about this action.
I heard it was really nice.Very innovative.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would really like to hear about this action.
I heard it was really nice.Very innovative.

...yeah, but so are many other one-of-a-kind creations. I'd really like to hear about a mess of identical littermates to this action...

Posts: 215 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the prototypes were at SHOT and ACGG and the website is "taking orders". I'm sure that people aren't buying them unseen, so doesn't seem unreasonable to post a couple real pictures and prices.

Posts: 109 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, I see that McGowen is still taking orders for these mini actions but I don't see a price or even a photo of one of the actions. Anybody know what's going on here?

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Last time Dan posted on this thread was Sept of last year. If I wanted more info I would pick up the phone.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpepper:
I'm sure that people aren't buying them unseen.

rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

Yeah, no one on this board has ever posted about a vaporware action they paid for several years ago that has never materialized. rotflmo

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sorry Guys,

It has been quite a while since I last posted. Here's our latest update on it.

The first round of prototyping is complete. After the first prototypes were done we found some minor issues that we needed to correct. The issues were nothing more than assuring that the action would feed and function flawlessly. While the first prototype did function, it wasn't up to the high standards that we want in a custom rifle action. The last thing we want to do is produce something with known issues and spend unnecessary time in correcting problems. We want it perfect the first time, every time. We have started the second round of prototyping and so far everything looks good. We didn't expect any issues at the beginning so it kind of caught us a little off guard. When you look at CAD files and drawings everything always looks perfect, it's not until you actually make one do you find items that you didn't expect. This is why we have tried not to give any definate date on the release of the action. We don't want to fall into the same catagory as other companies that have given release date after release date just to change it constantly. No offense to them but this is not who American Gun Company is, and I can tell you without any reservations that the owner of American Gun Company won't be satisfied with just putting out an "ok" rifle action.

If anyone has any questions whatsoever about this action or any others that we are going to produce you can either email Jon at info@mcgowenbarrel.com or you can email me directly at admin@mcgowenbarrel.com we are all to happy to answer any questions you may have.

Regards,

Dan

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpepper:
If the prototypes were at SHOT and ACGG and the website is "taking orders". I'm sure that people aren't buying them unseen, so doesn't seem unreasonable to post a couple real pictures and prices.

Can someone show me how to put images on here and I'll put some on immediately.

Dan