New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mini Action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wanted to let everyone know that we had a long meeting with the boss today and our designers and the Mini Action design has been approved by all parties. We should see the final drawings within the next 2-3 weeks. Once those are done we will go directly into prototyping and testing. After all testing has been done and the necessary changes have been made we'll go into production. Once production starts we'll notify everyone of the design and first date of release. Price wise we won't know until it is all completed and we have the final drawings ready for quoting. The action will be machined and offer a removable magazine. Currently the first will be the 223 length then we'll add in a 308 length.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again left handed?

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
J Zola,

Same thing with the PH. We are also looking at doing a left hand bolt, right hand ejection model for the pistol guys.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McGowenRifle:
J Zola,

Same thing with the PH. We are also looking at doing a left hand bolt, right hand ejection model for the pistol guys.

Dan

Dan,

I like the left hand bolt with a right hand ejection port on rifles also.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Just curious. Why even mess with a detachable magazine? I can't imagine there are more people interested in buying a detachable mag than just a quality action with a normal hinged floorplate.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1860 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, nice straddle bottom metal attached to a mini action fit for a 250-3000. I will take it!

Posts: 109 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
NO DETACHABLE MAG...

that's why there's not a cz in 7,62x39 in my gunsafe..

i'll take a mini, blue, square bridges, 7.62x39, but ONLY if it has a floorplate, ... straddle would be nice, not required... i can't stand the 527's look on the @#$@#$@ mag

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the other posts of no detachable mag, just a good honest floorplate (with release in the trigger bow IMO). This goes double for the Pro Hunter action for big bores that may be used for dangerous game.

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan:

Looking forward to seeing your product. will it have Mauser extraction?

Thanks,

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we've had some people ask for a detachable magazine on the mini. I am currently pushing for having it available with both a detachable and a hinged floorplate.

Because we are still working on it and there are some proprietary items to it I can't say too much other than the typical stuff. Hope you guys can understand that. The extraction system will be very strong.

Dan

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
we've had some people ask for a detachable magazine on the mini. I am currently pushing for having it available with both a detachable and a hinged floorplate.

Because we are still working on it and there are some proprietary items to it I can't say too much other than the typical stuff. Hope you guys can understand that. The extraction system will be very strong.

Dan

I have a CZ 527 with the detachable box magazine. Basically, this magazine and that insufferable single-set trigger are the only things really wrong with it.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those of us that signed up a couple of years ago for the mini action, are we still on the list? Still dreaming about adding a 223AI to my gun cabinet.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another choice in a "mini" -- similar to a Sako L461, Kimber 84, or Zastava Mini Mauser, is a welcome addition in the market.

HOWEVER, what is missing is a really good "micro" action for the Hornet/Bee series of cartridges, or for a 5.7 FN and similar. How about it, McGowan?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I think mini
I think Hornet, Bee, 25-20 and 32-20 and they need a removable magazine.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clowdis,
Sorry different company.

Dan

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
My granddaughter got my Zastava mini. I now need another left-hand mini action.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
prof242,
We are currently looking at doing a left hand bolt, right hand ejection once the right handed version is up and running.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan

Please excuse me for not being up to speed on your new venture in actions. I have seen several come and go with unfulfilled promises.
Can you give me a brief description of what you have in mind?
Will these actions be a platform for customization or barrel ready?
Will you make a standard/magnum length action? This thread is on the mini and you have another on the Pro Hunter.
I would like to see a 375 length, square bridge action in the $500.00-$750.00 range to build off of. I build probably 10, 375 length rifles to 1 Pro mag. In my customer base they don't seem to want to get the snot kicked out of them. On the other hand minis are picking up.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
James,

Our mini action will start with 223 length cartridges and then there will be a version for the 308 size cartridges.
It will be built to accept either clip style magazines with 5 rounds being standard. We are making it so that standard Remington mounts will work on it as well as aftermarket Remington triggers.
We will be making a standard short type action to handle the 308 and WSM type cartridges as well as one that will handle the 30-06 length cartridges up to 375.
Our PH action will be built to handle anything that is standard magnum length up to the large Jeffrey/Rigby type cartridges. The longest magazine as asked for here will be 4.125" long.
At this point I cannot say what the price will be but we will do everything we can to keep manufacturing costs down to keep it reasonable. We won't know those details until we start the prototyping phase. The mini (223) will be first into prototyping at this point. The standard 308 length and long 30-06 length will probably be next. The PH will be the last but will be designed immediately after the other 2. We are IMO about 75% complete in the drawings on the mini. Hopefully will have complete drawings & CAD files before the end of this month.
The actions will be ready for barrels. As we are machining these we could make a barrel that is ready to go all you have to do is install it. The mini has some really cool attributes to it that I can't say now but once we have gone through prototyping and testing we will be able to let the design out to the public with pricing, etc. The mini will also be a great platform for the pistol arena. We've already had tons of input from the pistol and rifle guys on this and what they would like to see. We are always open to suggestions, but I think that after our 2 day meetings with machining companies, designers and the owner the design is set.
We are fortunate that we have an owner who is very excited about these projects and also has the money to make them reality.
As I have said before we don't want to promise delivery or pricing on these actions until they are well on there way to reality. I have also been on both sides of that fence and believe me when I say that is not a situation that any of us will ever get into again.
Just one more tidbit. We are looking at a single shot too.......

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ireload2
I'll have to check on those cartridges for you.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ireload2
I'll have to check on those cartridges for you.

Dan

Dan,
Thanks but I don't expect them to create any demand. Not enough flash and thunder for these days but they are big on fun for me. I know a bit about developing a new product and that ugly word "reality" though. It is a good way to make a large fortune into a small one.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
McGowenRifle,
OK, so how do we keep up with whats going or how do we get in line to have a look at one of the early actions from your company? The world is full of "standard" and "magnum" actions, but there really is a nich market for mini's and PH models I think.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
clowdis,

I'll try to keep everyone informed as to the progress we are making in the mini. Once I have the drawings completed we'll go to prototyping of all of the parts and then send it off for destructive/safety testing. Once we have done that we'll know whether there will be any requirements to modify anything on the action. If all the tests come back favorable, then we'll start the production cycle. Only then will we be able to set a price on the action and then we can start taking orders.
I don't want to get into a situation here of taking orders for something we don't have and have no idea of when it will be available. Been there, done that.
We are trying to build a reputation in the industry of quality, reliability, delivery, and affordability. But above all else we want to maintain our integrity. Customer service becomes very difficult when you promise things that you can't deliver or set a units sold requirement prior to start of production.
As I have mentioned before the start of production will be all machining, we may look at other manufacturing processes to speed production and to lower production costs, but initially the bolt/receiver will be machined from solid bar stock.
When we started working on the actions our thought was going to a 30-06/375 length action first. The design has been started on this action but is not complete. We then turned our attention to the mini action as the design we have come up with will be easier and less expensive to reproduce. As I have said before, right now we are somewhere around 75% complete with the drawings and should wrap them up in the next few weeks. Hopefully prototyping will start in early December. This is not a guarantee of production dates, just an estimate of the progress.
The PH Action has not been put on paper yet. We have chosen Accurate Reloading to do a survey as to what everyone wants in a PH action. Not every recommendation will be incorporated in the design, but the vast majority or most popular recommendations will.

I hope that this answers your questions. Sorry to be a little bit secretive on the design but there are those out there that would love to try to grab your design and call it their own.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan, there are several Remington clones on the market at the present. I believe that you will need some unique features to break into this market. How about an intregal recoil lug, a 2 or 3 position safety, and an external bolt release.
Just my ideas.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

I can tell you that there are some features you won't find on any Remington clone in our mini. We are making it user friendly as far as Remington Mounts and triggers but beyond that there is no comparison. There is a 3 position Remington Trigger available now, it is not the swing safety more of a 2 position front rear and then a push down position to release the bolt for safe cartridge removal. It will have a external bolt release.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan:

Will the Mini be in the footprint of a Sako L-461 as far as stocking it?

Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Longshot,

It will be a round bodied action. I know everyone will say "Remington clone" but it really isn't. It will be really easy for any stockmaker to pattern for. Once we have it into production we'll start sending out receivers to the stockmakers to pattern for it.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan, don't let the guys talk you out of a "clip"/ detachable magazine on the Mini..... I own a Sako L461 6X47, and an L46 222 Rem.; which, of course, has the detachable mag. I wish they both were the "clip" model...
Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan

I would think it prudent that the Mini be offered in 3 possible configurations.

1. Solid bottom single shot

2. Floor plate model maybe use aftermarket floor plate like PT&G is offering.

3. Detachable magazine model. I would suggest single stack type so CRF will be possible.

With a good trigger, bases and rings this could become a great platform for F-Class shooters.

Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oldmodel70,
Definately not. We are proceeding with the removable magazine model as planned. And we are working on making it available with bottom metal also.

Longshot,
You brought up a point that I don't think that I considered previously. A solid bottom, I have a meeting with the designer today so I'll bring it up.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for a solid bottom, single shot mini.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked to our guy who designed the mini action and he said that would be no problem. We'll talk to our CAD guy today about it.

Dan

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has a Cascade Arms Mannlicher-style carbine with 19" barrel in .250 Savage. The action is a perfect fit to that round. It is one of the nicest little custom rifles I have yet seen. If you make actions like that one, you will not be able to make enough of them!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldmodel70:
Dan, don't let the guys talk you out of a "clip"/ detachable magazine on the Mini..... I own a Sako L461 6X47, and an L46 222 Rem.; which, of course, has the detachable mag. I wish they both were the "clip" model...
Grant.

Dan, + 1, One big 1.

I don't know about all the 'traditionalists' not liking a DBM. Get over it! if you don't want to remove it, don't!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fish,
Thank you. Right now the removable box magazine version is going to be the first to be made. We still have to work out some technical stuff for those that want traditional hinged floorplate models.

Dan

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
quote:
Originally posted by Oldmodel70:
Grant.

Dan, + 1, One big 1.

I don't know about all the 'traditionalists' not liking a DBM. Get over it! if you don't want to remove it, don't!

The problem is it's far too easy for the 'traditionalists' not liking a DBM TO get over it. They simply won't buy one. I know I won't. CZ and SAKO already make that. As a matter of fact I'm talking to someone right now that's very serious about making a hindged straddle floorplate and 3-position safety for the CZ 527 now. If it happens I'll be out of the market all together because I can't think of a nicer package once slicked up. The idea is to sell as many of these as possible and I bet when they hit the shelves the floorplate models will out sell the removable magazine models 2 to 1 if they actually become avalible. I would think the idea would be to make something most people want, but nobody else makes. Maybe I'm wrong.

Dan's action, my money. Only time will tell.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fish,
Thank you. Right now the removable box magazine version is going to be the first to be made. We still have to work out some technical stuff for those that want traditional hinged floorplate models.

Dan

Gotta say it again.. i am NOT INTERESTED in a detach mag... which, like terry says, is why I don't have a cz 527 ...

let me know when you plan to do a traditional...

think PARK GUN not clip feedbolt gun

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:

Fish,
it's not the removable part...

it's the FUGLY part that I can't get over on a cz 527

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ouch!

Didn't realize everyone felt so strongly about it. I will ensure that our designer upon finishing the design on the removable magazine gets in gear on the floorplate model. I'm pretty sure ours won't look like the CZ527 either.

Dan