Find
Notify
Tools

The World of Custom Actions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I received my refund from Stuart today

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should have eloborated: (ad infitinum) The refund is going to Granite Mountain Arms...their delivery has always been timely. Mike Roden tells me the mfg. system is more streamlined than ever..they're making their own bottom metal and triggers so they no longer have to rely on Blackburn...yes, there is some work to do afterwards, but so is H&W at twice the price. Delivery times are coming way down...hard to beat!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dempsey:

One step closer to 700. jumping

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:

FAST996, Idared and others.....do you still believe we should have let the thread drift off to page 27 etc.

Posts: 425 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 08 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WbyPower,

I understand you have experience ordering several high dollar custom rifles from a name-recognizable maker in the U.S. Could you tell us (a) what the initial estimate of delivery time was, (b) what the actual delivery time was, and (c) was the quality up to your expectations.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a) 12 months approximately to Australia.

b) As promised

c) Fully up to expectations which is why I repeated the exercise twice and I got 3 out of 3

My observation is that the factory based rifle will cost a lot more than a custom gunsmith rifle, where quality is comparable.

If my interest had not been for 378 based calibres I would probably have had a gunsmithed rifle done in Australia on an M70. Since I was not interested in CZs as a basis I did check into other actions suitable for the 378/Rigby case but for me red lights were coming on everywhere and since I already liked Wbys the answer was easy.

I do beleive cost is a key point. For example, a Wby Accumark style gun with Kreiger cut rifle barrel and action work will cost quite a lot more than the HS Precision rifle. But I can tell you Wby is so far in front on service and reliability of delivery etc. that there is no comparison.

JohnS could comfirm this but I think D'Arcy Echols will only use H&W action if bigger case than suitable for M70.

Posts: 425 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 08 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
do beleive cost is a key point. For example, a Wby Accumark style gun with Kreiger cut rifle barrel and action work will cost quite a lot more than the HS Precision rifle. But I can tell you Wby is so far in front on service and reliability of delivery etc. that there is no comparison.

I was under the impression that the Krieger barrels that are on the Wby's are button rifled. I had heard that John put in some new machinery just for that contract. Am I mistaken?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On standard Wbys...yes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wbypower, so that we have some sort of gross yardstick, can you tell us approximately what those 3 custom rifles cost?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
I was under the impression that the Krieger barrels that are on the Wby's are button rifled. I had heard that John put in some new machinery just for that contract. Am I mistaken?

Criterion Barrels is a subsidiary of Krieger that manufactures the button-rifled barrels used on the standard Accumark; Krieger Barrels only produces cut-rifled barrels.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About $5000 each

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WbyPower:
quote:

FAST996, Idared and others.....do you still believe we should have let the thread drift off to page 27 etc.

WbyPower

I can believe this could go to 27 pages quite easily if a few really want it to.

First let me say it is not my intent to make light of the fact that several people on this thread have legitimate complaints and it would appear they were obviously told things less than the truth. That is an obvious fact and I sincerely hope all those who are personaly affected come to some agreement, whether it be refunds or new dates shipment. But, if you count the people who had no stake in the matter who simply add to the feeding frenzy it would appear to me they are simply adding to their post count. It really amounts in reality to what dempsey's photo shows.

I will also say I have learned a valuable lesson again in all this. In the future I will try not to ask questions about either manufactures or tradespeople on a forum such as this. I will conduct such things by P.M.s or the like. I will also try my best not refer to any suppliers or tradespeople in my posts. The reason for this is that regardless how talented a manufacture or tradesperson is, some other person's Uncle's, Brother's, Cousin's Friend had a bad experience with them and folks will come out of the woodwork to put in their ninety-eight cents worth. In the big picture I have never seen anything accomplished by this.

I know it is frustrating to sit and wait for something that is months behind the time it was promised, and it has happened to me a couple of times also. I'll admit I traded both rifles off as soon as I got them and one of them for some factory Winchester 70 pushfeed Featherweights so you know how soured I was on the whole deal. I am also reminded what one gunmaker once told me. He said "It's only money, it ain't blood." Perhaps if it was blood I, and no doubt a few others, would be more careful how I spent it. We are after all spending money on big peoples toys if the truth is really known.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idared,
You got any stake in this? Just piling on too?
I'll be able to dispense with phrases like "Stuart Tax" and "WIPping it out Satterlee-style" when I have the refund, and the check does not bounce. I will happily report that and never mention Satterlee again. Counting the days now instead of months and years ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a Granite Mountain Arms action 3-19-07 with a promised year delivery...just got it!

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I received a check from Satterlee today.

One last time, this dispute was not about time, it was about honesty. Hopefully some good will come from this.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Idared,
You got any stake in this? ...

If I do, and I might, you will never hear about it from me on here.

Definately not piling on. If you read what I wrote, I said some folks had legitimate complaints. If you are one of those who do, fine, then do what you think fit. If keeping this going for 27 pages, as was aluded to, is what you think is fit have at it.

I hope you get your refund, if that's what you want, but I suspect that some will never let this subject completely die. I hope I'm wrong about that though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My refund arrived in the mail, and some .375 Ruger dummy cartridges were returned too. If the check does not bounce then I am out of here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indared,

By drift off to page 27 I meant if only a few people posted then the thread would have been on page 27 of this forum in no time flat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got my refund check from Stuart today.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the funds Goin'out, does that mean the ARCustomActionInquisition, is now over? Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
With the funds Goin'out, does that mean the ARCustomActionInquisition, is now over?

Does this mean that Stu will actually start producing finished actions on a time table of delivery? Eeker

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Does this mean that Stu will actually start producing finished actions on a time table of delivery? Eeker

I think its a good idea to rattle someones cage now and then, if its done tastefully they actually enjoy the attention Wink but in the mean time, Lets call off the hounds, get our heels of his head, release the pressure off the choker chain, and see what Stu can Do!...and if he f*x up again,... hangm' High jumping

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
4-07-08 is the date.

Bruch
Weibe
Berry
All will get a refund those will go out 2-8-08.

MHC, 4-07-08 works for me if it works for you.

Mildot, which action did you order. call me, I don't know who you are.
Stuart

As we discussed on the phone, that date works for me. I expect the ordered action delivered by 4-07-08 or my $1500 deposit to be returned.

Mike

I decided to go with one more final delivery date for my action of April 7, 2008 or my deposit. Hopefully we will see some pictures of the action as it progresses, which would probably be benifcial to everyone involved including the Satterlee business.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If someone has recently dumped an order that they had with Satterlee for an in the works 30-06 length/bolt face receiver, I may be willing to show some faith and get behind the wheel where you left off,...pending what delivery times im given, cause to be fair, my stocking smith has a workload to plan and income to earn also.....this would save me from having to do an stainlessM70 with canary yellow Mcmillan to brighten up my day and break the bordem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With all due respect to those on both sides of the aisle...this thread has drifted into the world of custom actions...which is good! If someone wants to change the heading, that might be just plumb swell!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
With all due respect to those on both sides of the aisle...this thread has drifted into the world of custom actions...which is good! If someone wants to change the heading, that might be just plumb swell!

Done. Like I said, I am out of here unless the check bounces. The thread is now entitled "The World of Custom Actions."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sheesh-

Another holocaust revisionist.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flaco:
Sheesh-

Another holocaust revisionist.

flaco

What is a "holocaust revisionist" and does it relate to this thread?

Which country/city is your place of residence........or is that a secret?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear flaco,

From a post you made on this thread

For others--a majority, I would expect--the monetary loss is pretty much chump change.

What is not "chump change" is time. Time fucking wasted. All the money in the world will not buy back the time.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WbyPower:
Dear flaco,

From a post you made on this thread

For others--a majority, I would expect--the monetary loss is pretty much chump change.

What is not "chump change" is time. Time fucking wasted. All the money in the world will not buy back the time.

Well allow me to be the exception. To *ME* Six grand is NOT CHUMP change. I'll keep the forum apprised on my apparent emerging "issues" with WF HEIN. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When the title of this thread changed, it confused me greatly. Confused

one of us
posted Hide Post
Once a buff gets a look at my Satterlee 458 Lott rifle with whole integral barrel,double square bridge action,integral bolt handle,and engraving,it it sure to DROP DEAD ON THE SPOT! No CHEAP stuff here.It should be ready in a few months.I hope I get it before my RENDEZ-VOUS with AFRICA,the Masai and the great CAPE BUFFALO.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
When the title of this thread changed, it confused me greatly. Confused

Dan,

You pulling our legs mate? Wink

Big Grin Big Grin

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes it confused me also!

I looked at the title and saw 7 or 8 pages
all looked at (blue) but was sure I hadn't read
THAT title.

It made me chuckle after I realized what happened in a few moments.

Thought I'm to young for Dementia!
Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
This is almost as bad as the Tanzania fiasco from about 3 years ago.

Probably worse.

Called my gunsmith today to find out what the status was of my custom 358 Norma, the status is that he as of yet has not ordered the parts needed to build the rifle.

So if you have an extra 375 or 458 barrel laying around let me know. I am going to change it to a 375 Ruger or a 45 Blaser.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did Satterlee deliver as promised and does anyone know if he has any of his reverse safeties in stock for delivery?

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was wondering if anyone has gotten any of the Satterlee actions they ordered?

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote