New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insect Repellent
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there any restrictions on carrying spray insect repellent like permethrin? I have generally just taken military deet lotion but I have a leopard and buffalo hunt in Zim in August. I think I might need something a little stronger.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never had a problem as long as it was only one or two cans. If it is a pump, non-aerosol, there is no problem. Either way, pack in a heavy ziploc with some paper towels, if it leaks it will at least be contained.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I believe it is illegal to transport it via air in any container. In any event, why not simply spray your clothing before departure, as I do. It will last through many washings while in camp and is much easier to do at home. You DO NOT want to apply Permethrin to your skin!

Try 3M UltraThon for your skin. Lower Deet percentage but more effective and also seems to lessen the severity of the Tetse flies. This formula was developed for the U.S. military and was tested extensively in real world environments.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Skin contact with permethrin seldom causes any problems, and, in fact, it is used to treat head-lice (1% solution) and scabies (5% cream to entire body for 8-12 hours). The solutions for application to clothing are generally 0.5%-2% spray. If you have horses, you may already have a concentrate fly-repellent solution that usually contains 10% permethrin that would need to be diluted 4:1 to make 2% spray. A 9:1 dilution would yield a 1% solution. 19:1 would yield 0.5% (same as Sawyers clothing spray)

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I generally carry anything that could leak or break in ziplok bags so that's covered. I generally spray everything down ---boots, jacket, sweater, clothes, etc. before I leave anyway. This is a 15 day hunt so my concern is that nothing will hold up thru washings for that long. I just checked and the military insect repellent that I picked up is the 3M product. I have never carried the spray before but I have never had my bags searched either. There is a first time for everything I guess. I do have a couple of the pump spray bottles for repellent, just not the good stuff for ticks.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi, send me you phone# and I will call you and or send me a e-mail and tell you about my exp.Jim

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
My phone number is 336-476-7134 or cell 336-688-1642. I'm in North Carolina. My email is at the bottom of this post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can also buy the stuff in Harare- the mozzie shop at Newlands stocks it.

I would still treat kit before coming though.

What is the best tsetse fly repellant? A fat American 2 paces behind you in a dark shirt Big Grin

Sorry, couldn't resist that one- people with high body fat and high blood fat are always targeted by tsetse fly before skinny guys like me Big Grin. Research shows that mozzies prefer blood group O followed by A. If you are blood group B you seldom get bitten. How that works I don't know Confused

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the best tsetse fly repellant? A fat American 2 paces behind you in a dark shirt

well now there's a diet scheme if i ever heard one Wink

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thought on this is to permethrin spray your shirts, trousers, socks and put them all in plastic bags until you wear them in the field.
Regards

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:
Thought on this is to permethrin spray your shirts, trousers, socks and put them all in plastic bags until you wear them in the field.
Regards

It's been suggested to me to take a small spray bottle and treat the mosquito net over the bed.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I've never had any problems carrying Permanone in a can. I put them inside my boots; one each. As suggested, it is good to spray your hunting clothes before you go and pack in a vacuum type bag. The danger of contracting any number of diseases is well worth the preventative measures. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I have sprayed my shirts and pants in anticipation of Mozambique trip in 3 weeks. The permethrin should stay absorbed in the cotton without needing any plastic covering, as evaporation of other than the solvent (water) should not occur. Will also take a few ounces of 10% solution and a small spray bottle for mixing with water at a 9:1 ratio for a 1% clothing and mosquito net spray.
For malarial prophylaxis, will use daily doxycycline and for 5 weeks post-trip. If malaria does develop during trip, will have Quinine available to take at 600mg three times daily along with a double dose of doxy for 3 days, which should be enough for the worst of malaria cases. Quinine used to be $5.00/bottle, but is now $5.00/pill in US, but can be ordered from internet pharmacies in India for about $0.50/300mg pill.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SG/Steve - Have a great trip in Moz. We will be off to there August 28th so can imagine your anticipation. One question sir? In looking for permethrin spray I found some, but it lists the active ingredient at just under 5%. Is this the normal configuration for permethrin spray? Will be using Melarone for preventative. Thanks.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
I have sprayed my shirts and pants in anticipation of Mozambique trip in 3 weeks. The permethrin should stay absorbed in the cotton without needing any plastic covering, as evaporation of other than the solvent (water) should not occur. Will also take a few ounces of 10% solution and a small spray bottle for mixing with water at a 9:1 ratio for a 1% clothing and mosquito net spray.
For malarial prophylaxis, will use daily doxycycline and for 5 weeks post-trip. If malaria does develop during trip, will have Quinine available to take at 600mg three times daily along with a double dose of doxy for 3 days, which should be enough for the worst of malaria cases. Quinine used to be $5.00/bottle, but is now $5.00/pill in US, but can be ordered from internet pharmacies in India for about $0.50/300mg pill.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
Larry,
The Sawyer pump spray that I like is .5% and I think .1 to .5 is the norm.

LionHunter,
I do not know what airline regulations are, but I did find this on Sawyer's FAQ page regarding bed bugs "Permethrin pump sprays are preferred because they are not restricted for airline travel."

On short trips I would not worry about retreating, but since the effectiveness is listed at 2 - 3 weeks or 6 washings which ever comes first on a longer safari retreating may be necessary. Sawyers also stated "In studies performed by the U.S. Army, about 20 to 30 percent of the permethrin treatment was removed after the first laundering. Thereafter, about 3 to 5 percent was lost to each cycle through ten launderings." So you may not want to wait for the 6th washing.

Charles

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
You can also buy the stuff in Harare- the mozzie shop at Newlands stocks it.

I would still treat kit before coming though.

What is the best tsetse fly repellant? A fat American 2 paces behind you in a dark shirt Big Grin

Sorry, couldn't resist that one- people with high body fat and high blood fat are always targeted by tsetse fly before skinny guys like me Big Grin. Research shows that mozzies prefer blood group O followed by A. If you are blood group B you seldom get bitten. How that works I don't know Confused

That's good to know. I think. I'm O pos, but I'm down to 168, what with all the walking I've been doing. My buddy's 180...

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CharlesL,
I have looked at several places locally and cannot find anyone that has a source for the Sawyers in the pump spray. Do you kjnow where it can be ordered?

One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
Ed,
You can find it online at sites like Amazon.com. I normally pick it up at Gander Mountain, but the last couple times I was there they didn't have the pump spray.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After a few phone calls to Gander Mountain and other sporting goods stores in the area here in North Carolina, I searched several online spots I normally look at then found it at Amazon.com sure enough. There are three places listed on amazon.com that list it available.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does the non-aerosol survive the flights? I've taken non-aerosol hairspray before and most of it leaked out of the container. I did take aerosol bug spray in checked baggage recently and the TSA did search my bag but they didn't take the aerosol can.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will find out if it leaks in a couple of weeks when I fly out. There is a statement on the Sawyer website that would indicate that taking the aerosol on the airline is prohibited.

posted Hide Post
As they say, when in Rome...

Why not do as the locals do?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get BullFrog sunblock w/the bug spray already in it.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I purchased my Permethin at a local REI store. On my last trip to Zim the TSA folks at Dulles airport kept looking at the permethin in the pump bottle for quite some time. I told the person it was bug spray but they didn't even respond. Several of them kept looking at the container in a zip lock bag then decided it was OK.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2294 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote