New
Find
Notify
Tools

577 A NEW EXPLORATION
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam, the old 577 BPE rifles just went up in value today!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
650 #13 Solids at 2278 fps 39500 PSI........ 600 Raptors at 2319 fps at 35500 PSI....

Yes, I would say this is wicked, and I think unheard of in 577 NE? Of course these are not 750s, but why do you need a 750 anymore? Not required by any stretch, this 650 Solid will out penetrate any conventional 750 Solid ever made in history...... Its only competition would be a 750 at equal velocity........ 600 Raptor at 2300 fps! shocker In a double? At 35500 PSI shocker Hmmmmm.......... I would not want to be the buffalo on the receiving side of this............. Me thinks, buffalo won't be near as tough as they used to be...........

M

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had a hard time finding it but got some Black MZ blackpowder substitute which really turned out to be a winner

Maybe I am a bit picky...... OK wait one, just looked again at the data, I did NOT like the load of 130 BMZ with the 1/4 lube wad... Way too much ES in pressures, 9400 PSI.... 150 without any filler was much better, but still 28500 PSI.... Maybe 140 with no filler????

M

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,

I hate to bust some old bubbles but many 577BPE shooters brag on 78 grs of IMR4198 with a 650 grain lead bullet and dacron filler being a good load. Its velocity when we tested it with a fiber filler was 1816 fps and pressure at 30696 psi. With same charge and dacron filler we had a velocity of 1807 fps and pressure of 36258 psi. With RL-15 we were able to drive a brass mono 2022 fps with a pressure of 28285 psi and no filler.

Had my figures off so it has been edited.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Michael 28500 psi is about what old good blackpowder did every time.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Hey Michael 28500 psi is about what old good blackpowder did every time.

barf

HEH....... So smokey on the range made me sick....... I'd rather shoot the #13s with RL 15 at 28000 PSI... Not near as NASTY............. Or STINKY...............

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
78 grs of IMR4198 with a 650 grain lead bullet and dacron filler being a good load

One of those "THEY" things, They say a lot of things, don't mean its so........... I'd like to see how many of "THEY" would shoot this in their very expensive doubles after they watched what happens with pressure spikes........ instead of reading it in a book somewhere.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
quote:
78 grs of IMR4198 with a 650 grain lead bullet and dacron filler being a good load

One of those "THEY" things, They say a lot of things, don't mean its so........... I'd like to see how many of "THEY" would shoot this in their very expensive doubles after they watched what happens with pressure spikes........ instead of reading it in a book somewhere.....

Michael, you have probably written it somewhere and I have probably read it somewhere, but how does your pressure testing in psi relate to original British loads in tpsi? for example, a tropical load for 500/450 may be listed as 12tpsi and full load 15.5tpsi, how does that relate to your testing?

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1976 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll answer that one. It doesn't relate to British tons. The one comparison is we use original Kynoch cordite ammo during each test to compare data. The Kynoch ammo is always in the 45000 psi range which we call maximum.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
but how does your pressure testing in psi relate to original British loads in tpsi?

Chris........

cuckoo

Correct answer.... I don't know?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok. Thanks.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1976 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got my 577 load all tweaked and ready to go. This group was shot at 50 yards with a CEB 600 grain Safari Raptor in the right barrel and a CEB 650 grain Safari solid in the left barrel. Total 8 shots. Both bullets are right at 2300 fps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's damn nice shooting! Looks like you got it dialed in. Now just go kill something.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holy smoke Sam... that is impressive... clap

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Wow, good shooting.. Looks to me a new gun could be regulated and chambered 577 2 3/4 650 and weigh 11 lbs... Super.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Sam,

That is great shooting!

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Excellent groups!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, Yep I'm pretty happy with it. If I'd only stopped at 6 shots, number seven is the one out of the group. I always do that wanting to see how many I can keep in the group. Off to Zim in two weeks for buffalo, hippo on the ground and tuskless.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tankhunter, CEBs are only about $2 each here. Bertram brass is probably $10 each for 577. If I'm going to be shooting animals that cost $3500 to $5000 each what's a $2 or $3 bullet. I want the best I can get.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good hunting Sam Smiler

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Tankhunter, CEBs are only about $2 each here. Bertram brass is probably $10 each for 577. If I'm going to be shooting animals that cost $3500 to $5000 each what's a $2 or $3 bullet. I want the best I can get.

Excellent point and one I've thought over many times both when hunting and at the range. We double rifle folks are an interesting group. I always pick up brass in the field when the shooting is over. At the range I often joke with my mates that we are shooting rifles up to $100K in value (some higher) yet we dash towards the targets to pick up our 25-cent wads between strings of shooting. The best bullets are trivial compared to the cost of the hunt. For that matter so are scopes, binocs, shoes, and even some rifles.
Cheers, mates.
Cal

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tankhunter:
always a bonus to find a less expensive projectile that still does the job

Its called a cast bullet.