Find
Notify
Tools

577 A NEW EXPLORATION
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Sam,

Where did you post your hunt report with your 577? Sorry new and not too good at navigating yet..
Also have a 577 and would like to try something other that woodleighs.
Thanks for all the info
Leon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wowo, welcome to AR. We've got lots of 577 fans here, and Sam has loaded for several. I'll send him a PM (private message) for you so he knows you're looking.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leon,

The hunt report is several pages back on page 4 African hunt reports and is titled Baobab Safaris hunt in Gache Gache Zim.

I love the 577 and with the lighter 600 and 650 grain CEB bullets it hammers game and not you.
You can find some of the data I worked up on Michael458s B&M web site under addictional research.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the 577.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,
Thanks for the warm welcome! I've really learnt a lot and enjoyed AR tremendously! Can get lively at times which makes it interesting!
Certainly seems that there are some devout 577 fans. I love mine dearly.
AR probably hosts the most the collective knowledge and experience available to shooters and particularly African hunters!
Many thanks
Leon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take my hat off to you fellas who can effectively handle and shoot the big .577, a cartridge I greatly admire for its unadulterated energy.

Never having been one overly sensitive to recoil, I certainly found my limit when firing Sam's new Heym earlier this year.

salute to all you .577 boys out there !

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam,

Very well done on your hunt. Really enjoyed reading your report. If you haven't had days like that then you haven't hunted. Its days like that we learn from! I used to have the same problem with brass!!!
Thanks for sharing your invaluable info on loading for the 577, trying to tweak it and make it a bit more manageable! A big thank you!
I'm waiting for some GS Customs to arrive in 640gr FN. When they do and I get a chance I will get intouch with you.
Best regards
Leon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

When I was offered mine the decider was that I didn't want to find myself lying in a hospital bed with a buffalo horn in my butt and saying to myself I SHOULD HAVE bought THAT 577!!
Mine paid for itself on its first outing of the season... I got for the specific purpose of dealing with "ninjas" (dugga boys) in Masailand (Kitijangari). Particularly bad tempered old buffalo bulls that are not shy of expressing themselves. These bulls inhabit the thorn thickets and have accounted for quite a few scrapes and worse over the years.
Thats why I lug and have learnt to shoot it.

It definitely is different and requires serious commitment to learn shoot well. The trackers LOVE it too! Those that know it tend sometimes to put too much faith in it!
Regards
Leon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leon,
I understand your reasoning entirely and whole-heartedly agree with your sentiments, and for the purposes described.... you undoubtedly have a very effective weapon giving confidence and safety.

Personally, for my own "weeding-out" I have had to stop at the .500 N.E as that is the very limit of my effective shooting/handling capabilities.

In saying that, I just love the aura, nostalgia and "presence" created by the mighty .577

Good health and good hunting to you !

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Let's say we want to carry a lighter weight than
typical, 577 NE double, which I believe is 13
pounds. Further, we want to feel less recoil than
we would using the typical 13 pounder firing 750
grain Woodleigh Solids at 2050 FPS.

If we want to fire a .585 inch diameter, CEB solid
bullet; and we want to:
1- stay at 2050 FPS
2- use the 2.75 inch brass length

how many grains should the CEB solid weigh for
it to attain equal penetration to, (or better
than) the 750 grain Woodleigh solid into elephant
skulls, through cape buff front to back, etc.?

What should the rifle weigh using the lighter
grain weight CEB bullets? Thank you!!!
wave salute patriot

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Heym 577 weighs a little under 13 lbs and I think it is still too heavy but it works. I shoot the CEB 600 gr Raptor and 650 solid in my gun at almost 2200 fps. These bullets penetrate just as good as the 750s and hammer what they hit. The hippo I shot last season was shot twice broadside thru shoulders, both of those exited and the third shot quarterings away hitting the hip stopped in the back of skull. I think that is plenty of penetration. The 650s were also used on elephant charge and even though I missed the brain it knocked the elephant down even with a broadside neck shot.

The 650 grain bullets make the 577 a pleasure to shoot also.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Truccolo:
... I just love the aura, nostalgia and "presence" created by the mighty .577

clap

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
My Heym 577 weighs a little under 13 lbs and I think it is still too heavy but it works. I shoot the CEB 600 gr Raptor and 650 solid in my gun at almost 2200 fps. These bullets penetrate just as good as the 750s and hammer what they hit. The hippo I shot last season was shot twice broadside thru shoulders, both of those exited and the third shot quarterings away hitting the hip stopped in the back of skull. I think that is plenty of penetration. The 650s were also used on elephant charge and even though I missed the brain it knocked the elephant down even with a broadside neck shot.

The 650 grain bullets make the 577 a pleasure to shoot also.

Sam

My 577 weighed 14 lbs with the butt stock weights in, 12.5 lbs with them out. I still thought that was too heavy as well. I think a 577NE can easily weigh 11 to 11.5 lbs and be just fine, assuming the stock fits the shooter. At 12.5 lbs, with the 700gr Non-Cons, and 750gr BBW#13 solids, I never found the rifle to be unpleasant to shoot. I found it very similar to my current 500NE at 10.25 lbs. If I have another built, I'm with you Sam ... lighter is better!

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thank you Sam and Todd. salute

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
so.....does the 577 work as good on whitetails as the 223? just wondering.......

quote:
Originally posted by srose:
First kill with a 600 grain CEB Safari Raptor out of a 577 NE. No tracking required.

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you put the bullet in the right place! A 22LR will drop one in its tracks with the right shot. I still like the big bores.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam ,so which powder in your opinion after your tests would you recommend as the best for the 577 ? the one giving the most consistent velocities ,full case etc ?

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RL-15 is hard to beat but RL-17 and Hybrid100V have there place too. You can see data on Michael458's B&M site under addictional research.

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thankyou Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're welcome and this study isn't over yet. My plans are to do a lot more BPE and light bullet loads for the 577.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Sam,

Have you chrono'd your 577 using TrailBoss?

One of these days I'll do so in my 600 just to see what it is but I'm sure it'll be enough for local critters (whitetails, black bear ... maybe enough for rabbits. Maybe).

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CCMDoc,

Yes the only load I tested with Trailboss was 30 grs TB with a 650 gr cast bullet. Velocity was around 1130 fps and pressure was up at 24889 psi. For nitro gun no problem but I would not use Trailboss in a BPE gun and try to get it to regulating velocity. Pressures would be way too high. Accurate 5744 seems to be the best powder for lite loads in the 577.

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the water capacity of a 577 NE case ? tried to find it on the net but no luck !
Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tankhunter:
What is the water capacity of a 577 NE case ? tried to find it on the net but no luck !
Thanks

185grs as per QL for 3 inch the 2.75 inch 171grs of water

Cheers

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thankyou freischuetz ! im trying to work out some loads for my 585 Hubel Express ,so i have been comparing loads used here[Aust] for the 577NE ,577 Rewa ,585 Nyati
Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tankhunter:
Thankyou freischuetz ! im trying to work out some loads for my 585 Hubel Express ,so i have been comparing loads used here[Aust] for the 577NE ,577 Rewa ,585 Nyati
Cheers

QL list the 585Nyati with 185grs of water what powder you use? & what bullets I can have a look on QL for some Data.

Cheers

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed, has loads listed on ammo guide. I use RL25 in mine but I have one of the break action NEF's.

Posts: 72 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank nilgai ,yes i will have a look on there ,
freischuetz,i have been trying the Australian made ADI powders 2213sc and yet to try slower 2217 the same i believe as H1000 which ED recommended.
There was a load for a Farquarson 577 here with 147gr AR2213sc for 2050fps.
Im only using 750gr projectiles as im not interested in the 650s.
There was also a load i found for the 577 Rewa[dont know what rifle ] 165gr H4831 @2150 fps.
i believe the water capacity for it is 216 gr.and the 585 Nyati is 213 gr
cheers thanks again

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm getting ready to start back on this project. Does anyone have two rounds of new factory Kynoch (Kynamco)577 nitro ammo they would sell me? Even better a whole box. I have not been able to locate any of this ammo, even Kynoch USA said they don't have it and will not have it. I did locate some old cordite ammo that I will pressure test again but I want some of the new ammo to test.
Also if any of you 577 shooters want me to pressure test the loads you are shooting I'll be glad to do that for you. This means black powder to full nitro loads. I will be doing lots of work with lighter cast bullets and loads for my BPE guns.

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam, check your PM's

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

L-R 3x .577 750gr Woodleigh FMJ (recovered from elephant); 2x .577 750gr Woodleigh SN (frontal brain on a buffalo recovered 6" under skin behind the head, mangled the brain and spine..) eland;last one is .500NE 570gr Woodleigh FMJ.
Reason I don't like woodleigh solids too much in .577.
Not to highjack the thread but to support the CEB/GS Custom explorationWink Thanks again to Sam Michael458 and others for all the "hard" work.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Wowo......

Well, looks like you have about as much luck with the 750 Woodleigh FMJ as Sam did in his very first terminal tests here with me, one of the reasons we went on the mission to find a better bullet......

Congratulations on your education, you earned your degree the hard way........

quote:
2x .577 750gr Woodleigh SN (frontal brain on a buffalo recovered 6" under skin behind the head, mangled the brain and spine..) eland;last one is

I reckon not too bad for a conventional bullet.....

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael458,
Fully support what you're all doing. Would like to see a north fork in .577 Smiler
Expecting some GCS in .577 sometime and will share info I gather. Probably will be asking advice from the ProfessorsWink

All the best
Leon

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Leon...
I will stay after North Fork on some larger calibers.. But......?????

If you get to South Africa Dawid can get the #13 Solids for you......

Keep us posted on the GSC....... They should do very well for you......

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wowo:

L-R 3x .577 750gr Woodleigh FMJ (recovered from elephant); 2x .577 750gr Woodleigh SN (frontal brain on a buffalo recovered 6" under skin behind the head, mangled the brain and spine..) eland;last one is .500NE 570gr Woodleigh FMJ.
Reason I don't like woodleigh solids too much in .577.
Not to highjack the thread but to support the CEB/GS Custom explorationWink Thanks again to Sam Michael458 and others for all the "hard" work.

Yep this was an eye opener for sure. I had always heard the mighty 577 would out penetrate anything out there. The first time I met Michael458 at his range I had brought my 577 loaded with the mighty Woodleigh Solid to show him how this big bore penetrated. He just laughed and said We'LL see! Much to my surprise the bullet turned sideways at 14 inches and went way off track into the bottom of the penetration box. The bullet had tumbled and didn't go 36 inches in paper pulp. I had a home made flat that we shot next and I think it went 50 inches maybe and dead straight. I was one of those old fuddy duddy round nose lovers until I saw what happened with my big 577. Fellers that's what started it all for the search for a better solid for me and Michael458 made it possible for me to experiment with lots of crazy stuff. Some real information has come out of all the work Michael has done. He has proved all of his theories on bullet design. He had a little help from a bastard file.

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam,
Thats why I appreciate yours and Michael efforts so much! The softs worked like a hammer and the solids aren't too bad on buffalo but not 100% reliable on Elephant..
Thanks again
Leon

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Same recovered bullets just a different angle to give you a better idea about how badly deformed these are..

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Got a box of .577 750gr Degol bullets from Belgium but haven't gotten around to trying them yet. Anyone tried these? I heard that Holland & Holland use them in there ammunition, any truth in this? I was told the jackets on these are a bit heavier then the woodleighs...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wowo,

Yes the Woodleigh softs are great conventional bullets for doubles and are very consistent. Those Belgium bullets look nice but I've never seen them before. Nice in bulk pack to. How is the cost on them?

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam,
Was hunting with another real double enthusiast, a German fellow. I showed him the bullets that I posted in your thread and he would do some research when he got at to Germany.
A few months later that box of bullets arrived in the post! I've tried to look them up but can't anything of substance, was hoping someone on here would know..
As an aside this same gentleman had a lovely old 476 WR drop lock, in mint condition, that he bought from a little old lady for a song.... Turns out that this rifle was only one or two serial numbers away from his 425 WR..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did a little more testing today to see if I could get those velocities up on the 600 gr Raptors and 650 grain Safari solids. I've got a double T-Rex now I think. I now have to most powerful 577 double there has ever been and buffalo better look out. Michael and I really learned a lot today and got some really good data with the CEB light 577s. The very top loads crossed a bit at 50 yards but even after we lower the load my velocity was still way up there. All loads were very safe in my gun and we used some older loads to check that our pressures were right. We also shot some original Kynoch cordite loads to check that again. Even with a hangfire the Kynoch was spot on as always. One very intering test we did was with A powder someone here on AR put me onto and wanted me to test. I had a hard time finding it but got some Black MZ blackpowder substitute which really turned out to be a winner. I think this powder will turn out to be the replacement to C&H No6. Velocites were really good and even adding 20 grains of powder didn't add much pressure but gave almost perfect velocities for BPE guns. I really need to do a bunch more tests with this powder.
Michael will post the data probably on his web site .

Sam