Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 176 | Location: Earth | Registered: 18 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I'd like to know how and when you killed thousands of whitetails? What round did you use?
Actually it is many thousands of Deer.

There are still parts of the real South with very old Plantations which are able to grow crops year round. When they have too much crop damage from Deer, the Game Depts issue Depredation Permits(or Predation Permits depending on the local) which allow 24hr Deer Killing during the "Off-Season". During the actual Deer Seasons, the normal Rules & Regs must be followed.

So, when you carry a rifle for 350days per year for many years and you are where there are thousands of Deer, the Kills mount up. Fortunately there is an abundance of field hands on all those old Plantations who welcome the meat. Otherwise, you simply bury them whole with a backhoe when your freezer is full.

Have used a lot of Calibers from 45-70 down through 243Win and lots inbetween. Probably Killed more with the excellent 308Win than anything else though.

As the Calibers get smaller, the clean Killing ability is reduced. As the Velocity decreases, the clean Killing ability is also reduced. It is easy to see that trend when a person actually has Experience Killing, compared to the rookies who believe they know it all based on a couple of Kills with Inadequate Cartridges.

Due to that, there is no need for me to go to anything smaller than a 243Win, since the results of the other cartridges show the 22cals would be even less effective than it is.
-----

I realize you did not intend your question to be civil, but I tried my best to answer it as if it were.

If any of you have more actual First-Hand Killing Experience than me, let me know. I'm always ready to learn from someone who actually knows what they are talking about.

How `bout you Gatogordo, are you in the multiple thousands of Deer Kills?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
You haven't killed thousands of deer. Reminds me of the time you tried to present yourself an authority on shooting dangerous game animal. Anybody remember that one?

You try too hard Roll Eyes

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
You haven't killed thousands of deer.
Really? How many have I Killed? rotflmo

You are closer to the lying sack of obummer, teanScum, than I imagined.

quote:
Reminds me of the time you tried to present yourself an authority on shooting dangerous game animal. Anybody remember that one?
Can you elaborate on that a bit or provide a link? I'm not sure what you are blowharding about. I do realize you don't know what you are talking about, so the lack of a link would prove it. You sniveling punks crack me up. clap

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
In another thread, he's an "engineer." I don't know many engineers who carry a gun "350 days a year" and work outside on a daily basis.

Plus, I have a few friends from the South, and one of them does indeed shoot deer on depredation permits -- and he does so exclusively for several large parcels of property. Including the 3-4 deer he shoots while hunting during the season, he says he normally kills maybe 15-20 per year on the high end and perhaps 14-16 on an average.

He is not aware of anyone or any area that needs to kill "many thousands" of deer for depredation -- not even over a lengthy period of time.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Come on HC, even the people I don't agree with on this thread deserve better.
Roll Eyes

Shame the devil and tell the truth rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:

I like the myth busters show. Although not on TV, this discussion is somewhat of a myth buster -
KB

The myth has been busted by those who have shot deer with the 223 and had great success. Many have posted some great pictures to illustrate this. Most all those who object to it's use, and have posted on this thread repeatedly have never shot a deer with one. I agree KB, myth busted.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
quote:
the 223 is a real deer rifle
KB

This is too fun.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
quote:

I couldn't have said it better myself.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kabluewy:
the 223 is a real deer rifle
KB

This is too fun.

At least when I quote you I don't chop or alter the quote so that its original meaning is skewed. I don't know where you got such a quote from, but never mind - quote this:

Apparantly the 223 is a real deer rifle - in the minds of some - but belief doesn't transform ballistics, because they are a scientific and mathmatical fact. It's a real deer rifle because obviously it can kill deer often enough for the satisfaction and standards of those who believe in it. In the hands of an impatient or less skilled hunter its inherent odds of merely wounding deer is much greater than if a bigger caliber is used to better match the task.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KB, you have got to stop and think about the following very real fact. If you punch a hole thru an animals lungs/heart with a bullet of even 17 caliber going over 2000 FPS it will destroy tissue and vital organs that the animal needs to continue living. No animal is going to run more than 100 yards or so if it is double lunged with any rifle bullet. On the other hand if you shoot an animal in a non vital place with any gun it may not kill them despite the caliber. One exception noted I saw a fawn that had been shot thru the pelvis broadside with a 12 guage full caliber rifled slug which killed the animal and it was recovered. There was light thru the hole.

Your feelings on this are simply personal prejudice. Finally I guess I am going to have to get that 375 Ruger anyway just "because".

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Darn Jimmy, that was a good post, leaving some but not much room for argument. No flames there. I didn't think you were up to it. Now that I said that I'll probably get flamed, just because some seem to want opposition.

KB

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJ_Miller:
I picked up some Federal 62 gn Fusion ammo in 223 today.

Now seeing as how they are tipped with a Fusion bullet will they take a 150 lbs whitetail.

Our whitetail they are only` 12 inches through the chest side to side

Whay says board.............................JJ

Yes, they will work just great, especially with that bullet.

I think all on this thread would agree. Good luck.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
In another thread, he's an "engineer." I don't know many engineers who carry a gun "350 days a year" and work outside on a daily basis. ...
Shows you don't know near as much as you think you know. rotflmo

I'll try to calculate how little I care about what your firends do or don't do. Nope, can't go that small. moon
-----

Where's your blowharding link tc1? Looks like you are as big of a lying sack of obummer as "my hero" teanScum. But, we already knew that.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
I'd like to know how and when you killed thousands of whitetails? What round did you use?

bsflag

TFF!

Come on HC, shame the devil and tell the truth. jumping we all know you're full of shit on this one.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy P Coaltrain:
I love the internet and this is a great forum. Finally I see the light, I am buying a Ruger 375 for deer and not looking back.
JP,

120 grain to 180 grain bullets hit hard enough at 300 yards. There are a number of non-magnum rounds that can drive them fast enough. You don’t need a 375 but what ever turns you on, the 375s will do the job just fine. Depending on the weather, the deer may move out of my hunting grounds before I have a shot. The deer generally move down to lower ground when the snow hits the 16-24-inch depth at 9,500 feet above sea level. How deep does the snow get in Georgia? Big Grin

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
From some of the threads above it seems as though Hotsh$t is making some outlandish claims of harvesting 1000's of whitetails.

I know that that sounds way out there but perhaps we have been too harsh on the old boy. This gun toting engineer (perhaps he carries a mouse gun to the office) has some skills that are basically unknown to the majority of us mere hunters. I believe I has discovered the source of his success.

It's all done with ricochets!!!!! Truly this is his secret as with a ricochet it is possible to take multiple whitetails with a single shot. Couple this with his "flock shooting" skills he has learned from his companion, Kaboom, and you can see how these numbers can really multiply so quickly. In fact if there weren't seasons imposed in his state he would have eliminated the whitetail completely in that state.

We must remember that he is carrying a shooter 350 days a year!!!!! I wonder if the other 15 days of the year he was on vacation, oh well. But alas he has told us that some of that time was spent road hunting for chipmunks.

Oh well I'm sure he would never deceive us with his postings. (notice flare!)

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Overstatement, Hotsore ...
thanks for sharing ..
Many -- more than 10, in the SMALLEST number.

LEGALLY HUNTING, if one is allowed TEN a year, then that's 1000 years of hunting...

culling
100 a year is 100 years of hunting..

one a day, nearly 30 years of one deer a day ..

unlikely ..

what are you, 150 years old?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Hot Core wrote:
quote:

How about some pictures? Heck, even 10 percent would be decent validation. I'll even upload them to photobucket for you.

So send those 700 or 800 pictures to me, and I'll get busy.

Or how about you give us the regions and the plantation names. We can clear this up by checking with DNR rcords. Records of depredation permits are kept, you know...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
And the waiting begins... coffee

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A long time ago in the hills of Kentucky, an old woman said..
"You can't no more give away what you ain't got, than you can come back from where you ain't been!".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy P Coaltrain:
I love the internet and this is a great forum. Finally I see the light, I am buying a Ruger 375 for deer and not looking back.
JP,

120 grain to 180 grain bullets hit hard enough at 300 yards. There are a number of non-magnum rounds that can drive them fast enough. You don’t need a 375 but what ever turns you on, the 375s will do the job just fine. Depending on the weather, the deer may move out of my hunting grounds before I have a shot. The deer generally move down to lower ground when the snow hits the 16-24-inch depth at 9,500 feet above sea level. How deep does the snow get in Georgia? Big Grin

Mick, as I am sure you know my 375 Ruger post was a bit satirical (I am still planing on getting one however as i just want one) but maybe this is more simple to read between the lines here....... ..I have thousands of rifles and have shot thousands of deer with each one of them during deer culling operations in the East Ardvark Islands back when Teddy Roosevelt and I were hunting together....satire right?

I have discovered that any man that tries to impose his opinion on another man is an idiot, a democrat, or a bully and sometimes all three together. HotKBcore can believe what they want but don't BS to convince others especially on a subject so trivial.

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rotflmoThe above know-nothing fools responses are why I very rarely mention the number of Kills I've made. It matters not to me what they think, becausee I know what I've done. And my buddy John actually Killed more than I did.

A 22cal on Deer over 50# shows the VAST lack of first-hand Experience of the fools using them. Just that simple.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
rotflmoThe above know-nothing fools responses are why I very rarely mention the number of Kills I've made. It matters not to me what they think, becausee I know what I've done. And my buddy John actually Killed more than I did.

A 22cal on Deer over 50# shows the VAST lack of first-hand Experience of the fools using them. Just that simple.

how MANY is many thousand? its a SIMPLE question .. I guess we could call the local game warden's as ask who are their top two depredation animal shooters are ..

You mught just step away from this whooper, son .. its too big a fish tale to swallow

many thousand .. MANY thousand .. man, what a RIOT

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
And the waiting begins... coffee

yuck

476AR,

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Come on, Hot Core, instead of resorting to name calling, how about you give us the info to clear the air once and for all -- either way -- on your MANY THOUSANDS of deer killed?

We're waiting... popcorn

The suspense is killing me... rotflmo

Or wait...maybe it's the LAUGHTER... jumping

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
You know, ol' Hot Core has diggin himself in so deep this time that there is no way out. He's come close before, but this one is a real doozie.

You can tell when he's backed into a corner, though, because instead of presenting facts, he resorts to the only thing he has left to deflect attention: name-calling.

I guess he never matured beyond first-grade social skills. Roll Eyes

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Time to hoist the flag boy's. Roll Eyes
bsflag

You never mentioned it before because it's pure BS and never happened. The truth is you have no real experience with the subject at hand and you never killed
quote:
"many thousands of deer."

You try too hard and it shows. rotflmo

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
You know, technology is a neat thing. It tells me ol' HC has come to this thread several times between 7:12 and 7:54 this morning -- AFTER he posted here at 7:10.

Like a politician, maybe he's considering damage control at this point... rotflmo

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well known Texas Parks and Wildlife biologist (who wrote a book about whitetail deer) did, in fact, not in his mind, kill over 2500 deer while doing research and culling with his .22-250. He obviously didn't know what Hot Core knows.

I also know a predation deer killer and he would be extremely lucky to kill 100 deer a year but he only does it on weekends normally.

Now, if Hot Core did, in fact, not in his mind, kill that many deer I'd think it would be extremely easy for him to mention where and when he did it. IMO it would be very hard to forget a location that has that large a deer population.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That biologist should have consulted Hot Core first. Heck, for all we know, all those deer could still be alive after being hit with that measly round... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
In Louisiana, we generally have large numbers of deer, especially compared to some Wester/Northern states, and thus, for management purposes, we kill a lot of does. I view doe shooting (with a rifle) more as harvesting than hunting, and I pretty much just do head shots to save meat and avoid tracking. For head shooting a doe, I would have no qualms about using a .223, though I would actually use my 220 swift, since I don't own a .223.

popcorn

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Like a politician, maybe he's considering damage control at this point... rotflmo
What damage are you refering to? When you tell the truth, there is nothing to back away from.

But, I can understand how you all, who have rarely shot a Deer, could have serious doubts. Fortunately, you all know from my past posts that I never Lie like teanScum. Don't need to.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
If it is indeed the truth, then why don't you try and verify it for all us doubters? As you can tell, there are doubters and, so far, NO believers.

You could fix that quickly, though. How about it?

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo wrote:
quote:
Now, if Hot Core did, in fact, not in his mind, kill that many deer I'd think it would be extremely easy for him to mention where and when he did it. IMO it would be very hard to forget a location that has that large a deer population.

Yes indeed... thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it is indeed the truth, then why don't you try and verify it for all us doubters? As you can tell, there are doubters and, so far, NO believers.

You could fix that quickly, though. How about it?
OK, just for you - I did it! rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
JP

quote:
Mick, as I am sure you know my 375 Ruger post was a bit satirical (I am still planing on getting one however as i just want one)

I would love to play around with one myself. Wink

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well folks, I haven't killed many thousands of deer but I'd guess maybe a hundred over the last forty five years and if I was to throw in maybe another hundred that I've seen killed by folks I was hunting with or came upon in the woods etc and it's likely that the hundred is over stated but not by a factor of two or more, Big Grin and I've used weapons from the .223 to the .375 H&H, I'd have to say the firearm I used wasn't as important as a good solid hit in the rib cage!

Further I'd say the calibers I've been most happy using were .25 and .26 caliber as they shoot very accurately for me and have a lot of energy to expend upon contact.

I like to use bonded bullets in the event I am offered a quartering away shot at a trophy size buck as penetration will help if I decide the shot is "doable". Usually I'll wait for a better shot but at times one has to shoot or pass and having a well constructed bullet is a great benefit.

No way would a .223 be in the cards for such a rare shot. That said, it'll do fine if one can blow one through the ribcage as I've done it with great success on a few occasions.

IMOm of one is prepared to wait for the presentating to match his gun's abilities then any .223 and similar cartridge will do just fine.

BTW, I've seen more deer wounded with a .30-06 than any other cartridge and not for it's lack of power!

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
rolltop
quote:
BTW, I've seen more deer wounded with a .30-06 than any other cartridge and not for it's lack of power!

The 270 Win is right there with it. Bad shooting is just bad shooting.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
What damage are you refering to? When you tell the truth, there is nothing to back away from.

But, I can understand how you all, who have rarely shot a Deer, could have serious doubts. Fortunately, you all know from my past posts that I never Lie like teanScum. Don't need to.

lying is lying .. and you aint killed MANY thousand of deer .. you aint even come close to saying how MANY that you think many is ..

exceptional claims require exceptional proof ..

you aint even offer regular proof

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't killed thousands, but a hell of a lot more whitetails than most. My 7-year old grandson will kill one during the youth season with my AR15 loaded with 68 Hornadys because it has no recoil and a collapsible stock so it is short enough. I'm betting the deer will die with one shot, as he was busting clay pigeons at 50 yards off shooting sticks Sunday. I'll load two shells in the mag, and be there to help dress his deer.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
jstevens-

Good luck to your grandson, and be sure and post some pictures after he bags his first deer.

Our oldest is now 17 and took his first deer at the age of 8 using a Handi Rifle in .223 shooting a handloaded 64 grain WW Power Point. He dropped the doe on the spot, and the bullet performed perfectly.

He had taken a couple hogs by then using a Mauser 94 in 6.5x55 using reduced loads (129 grain Hornady) but wanted to use the .223 for his deer hunt. Today, he shoots a little of everything, from a 7.62x54 to a 25x30-30 and a few things in between (including that old Swede!), but he knows how to place his shots. And if he told me he wanted to use a properly-loaded .22 centerfire for a deer hunt, I'd have no qualms giving him the green light and would be confident that he'd put the bullet where it belongs -- and that venison would be on the ground in short order.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ