New
Find
Notify
Tools

Driven Boar Trip Proposal
 Login/Join

Picture of Eatie
posted Hide Post
Tommo would not give you the wrong info so I am wrong.
I am not on your trip, so really I should keep my nose out but I have been with Tommo and am going again with him in January, so although I am not there with you, still feel part of the excitement of your trip Smiler
Sorry Frowner
I have two other trips to the same area as you in November and December with another Agent and have been on five trips over the last few years and we always go from Heathrow and at that time to get us there to allow time with the Police in Zagreb and to get to the accomodation.
As I say, your trip is completely different so sorry for giving you a shock!!!
Your trip is something special

Posts: 70 | Location: England/Wiltshire | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Artemis1
posted Hide Post
Hi guys,

Cohannon you were right and this is the booking I got from Cro airlines:

19.-23.11.2009 15 osoba, treba let nakon 11am
RP/LONOU0103/LONOU0103 3S/GS 31JUL09/1258Z 4DF8PQ

0. 15ARTEMISHUNTING NM: 0

1 OU4495 G 19NOV 4 LGWZAG HN15 S 1640 1955 *1A/E*

2 OU4494 G 23NOV 1 ZAGLGW HN15 0815 0935 *1A/E*

Unfortunately the manager of Cro airlines called me to say that all afternoon flights from Gatwick on Thursdays are cancelled.

This is what I got for the AR group and that is the time what Eatie mentioned:

RP/LONOU0103/LONOU0103 3S/GS 2OCT09/0916Z 4DF8PQ

0. 5ARTEMISHUNTING NM: 0

1 OU 491 G 19NOV 4 LHRZAG HK5 1 1050 1405 *1A/E*

2 OU 490 G 23NOV 1 ZAGLHR HK5 1405 1530 *1A/E*

Hunting is a lifestyle more than anything else. http://www.artemis-hunting.com/

Posts: 199 | Location: UK | Registered: 13 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Tomo, this is out of order. I have booked connecting flights to facilitate the Gatwick flight.

I don't even know if I can get to Heathrow for a morning flight without over-nighting.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cohannon
posted Hide Post
I must agree Brian, other parties knew before we booked flights that it was changed to Heathrow.

No changes or refunds available from FlyBe. No availability Heathrow for early Thursday morning and insufficient time for taxi transfer from Gatwick. Would have to overnight London on Wednesday and now have client commitments which would make that difficult. thumbdown

Posts: 90 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Artemis1
posted Hide Post
Hi guys,

I'm really sorry for this but unfortunately is out of my hands because Croatia airlines did what STARALIANCE group wanted.
Other parties didn't know anything before because flight from Gatwick was always there but they've changed it without notice. Also, I intend always to go from Heathrow because earlier flight suits to my clients and me as well but I arranged this flight just because of you guys from NIreland.

For me is not the problem to pay you another flight to London and it is difficult for me to explain how I feel about this.
I wish I own a plane but unfortunately I rely on them as all of you.

I'm sure that we can sort this out Frowner
quote:
Originally posted by Cohannon:
I must agree Brian, other parties knew before we booked flights that it was changed to Heathrow.

No changes or refunds available from FlyBe. No availability Heathrow for early Thursday morning and insufficient time for taxi transfer from Gatwick. Would have to overnight London on Wednesday and now have client commitments which would make that difficult. thumbdown

one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
We are now one month away from our hunt.
Who will be there? Do we have a final list?

B.Martins

What every gun needs, apart from calibre, is a good shot and hunter behind it. - José Pardal

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cohannon
posted Hide Post
I, for one, have heard nothing from Tomo or Gabe since my last PM to them on the 8th October over the cancelled flights issue. As a result I have made other arrangements and will not be attending.

Posts: 90 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
I spoke to Boggy a few hours ago

He is in scotland at the moment hunting.

I dont think he will be able to answer anything here for a few days.

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is this expedition slipping a bit? sofa

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Artemis1
posted Hide Post
Hi AR members,

Finally I got some connection.
For last 8 days I ve been hunting in Croatia with American clients.
We are after a bear and chamois.It is hard hunting and at the moment I'm in hunting lodge far away from civilisation at 1230m above sea level. Thanks to the geeks that I can use low signal wireless connection.

I apologise to Cohannon but I have so many e-mails that some PMs slip away. Sorry for that but I spoke to Brian and he promissed to sort the issues with the flight with you.
Also I gave him a few infos and 2 days ago he sent me an E-mail that he'll give me the flight details in a two days. I didn't get it but I presume that he is too busy.
I'll call him tomorrow to see what is going on.
I'm really sorry that you've decided to not to attend our hunt because everything looks good so far.You've had my phone number which you've used before when we spoke about AR hunt and putting 9.3 on your FAC.

This expedition is not slipping at all and Gabriel, Brian and Londonhunter put a lot of efforts to sort issues with the flight.
Brian sent his copies of FAC and passport 4 days ago as well as all the other members.

Please if you have any question to send me an e-mail to artemissvetic9@googlemail.com or on the phone +4477950-84055.
Unfortunately PM doesn't work everytime on my Blackberry.

Best regards to all of you wherever you are,

Tomo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tomo, I have arranged alternative flights to suit the Heathrow departure, looking forward to it.

Ben, is Jean coming?

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
There are problems in releas EU Gun Card. Police is waiting the furniture of documents from Rome. When I called today they were sending a fax to speed up the shipment.Frowner

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Malinverni:
There are problems in releas EU Gun Card. Police is waiting the furniture of documents from Rome. When I called today they were sending a fax to speed up the shipment.Frowner

I picked up today the export licences for our guns (for mine and those of my three friends) from the police. The guns are also registered on the EU Gun Card. The flight tickets are on our possession, so everything is in order now:

Have gun. Will travel.

B.Martins

What every gun needs, apart from calibre, is a good shot and hunter behind it. - José Pardal

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Brian

Since we met last year Jean have bought my Mauser 03 which I used last year in Germany and have been dry mounting everynight in anticipation !

I will get my plastic Howa out from storage in the next few weeks and as they say boys "bayonets on".........

I have been handloading my double rigby shooting rabbits for practice. (I know I know but you only live once right?)

If weight is not an issue with this ariline, I might bring that as well ! With handloading each shot now cost about £1.20 rather than £16.00 shooting Federal safari premium! oooooooooouch..

They can't hide behind trees then. Then again how thick are the trees in Croatia Tomo ?

Only joking

I am really looking forward to hunting with friends on this forum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ben, you have to bring the Rigby, leave that Howa at home!

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Yes Sir

Reporting for duty

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
This may seem a bit of a limp wristed question but is wearing ear protection seen as a no no or is it acceptable on a driven hunt?

Is it a particular disadvantage at all?

Thanks

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon, I have been 4 times now, never saw anyone wear hearing protection.

Depending on the terrain and the dogs, it may well be a disadvantage. With one exception, I have always heard the pig before I saw it. Much like rough shooting here I suppose.

Saddle up, come with us and find out!

Picture of Eatie
posted Hide Post
The only form of hearing protection I have seen being worn are those Electronic ones that amplify normal sound and help to hear game game approaching but close down when sudden loud noises are made.
The guy that had these looked a right 'Charlie' he bought them in America and they were called 'Mega Ears' When wearing them he hit them every time he mounted his rifle, he only wore them the first day Big Grin
Not a limp wristed question at all. There is nothing like the sound of gunfire in the distance getting closer all the time, in a game hunting situation of course!!
By the time the Boar are near you your nerves are like a knife edge but when you fire you don't even remember the bang Big Grin

Posts: 70 | Location: England/Wiltshire | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Your hearing is most precious so please wear something. No matter how much I enjoy hunting I would not trade hearing acuity for anything.

I use sonic II plugs and usually bring 02 clean pairs to all shooting venues.

Just a video to amuse ourselves
Please dont practice this way. I forgot who sent this to me last week - THANKS

http://s650.photobucket.com/al...ent=Italianexper.flv

We actually build this rig at my shooting club a few months ago secretly and we are having great fun shooting slugs. You can change the target from a Buffalo head to your
favourite politician !

AKA Osman, Mao, George, Gordon,
et al ...........

http://s650.photobucket.com/al...current=Practice.flv

By the way that's not us shooting in the video !

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
That's interesting fellas - thanks

Brian thanks it sounds like a great trip you are all booked on. The reason I am interested in this thread is that I have been invited (courtesy of my French brother in law) to attend a two day driven hunt in France in Jan 10.

I have never been on a driven hunt before but this thread has been very useful listening to the advice of the experienced etc.

I would prefer to wear hearing protection of some description but I take Eaties point about mounting rifles etc

London can I ask - are the Sonic II plugs the Green Leopard ones?

Thanks again

Jon

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
No Sonic II are plastic plugs with a fiter not as air tight as green leoplard and cheap in comparison. Very effective. I have been using it since I started shooting DG. I recall my PH's initial reaction when I put them on "I wouldn't do that if I was you son"...........

After a few times out with him I have gina his trust adn confidence in my ability not a muiss a thing with them on.

Bottomline is what ever you do you have to have the confidence your equipment is part of you. i.e. you are making NO comprimises.

I use it for all forms of hunting and dip it in C2H5OH afterwards for sterilisation.

Usually 10 -15 pounds a pair in UK and 12 USD a pair from the Canada

Green leopard are too good i.e. too air tight and I personally find that I lose balance after 10 minutes and my scores will drop. But for competitions in tropical country it is perfect.

just my 02 cennts worth.............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys, just back from up North, the trip is definitely still on though I don't know what to bring with me!

Alan, I will contact you offline. I didn't realise you were expecting an answer from me.

I usually wear EMTEC noisebreakers or amplifying ear muffs when using unmoderated rifles. May look like a nerd, but I'm with LH in wanting to preserve what hearing I have left.
Best

Gabriel

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gabriel/Tomo, the departure is close at hand; would you post an up-to-date list of committed fellows?

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the short term I would wear electronic muffs and adjust the mounting side to clear the butt. Alternatively spend £1k on custom electronic plugs which are much more comfortable but provide less protection

Muffs get a bit painful after 90minutes or so.

I don't find sonics provide enough protection in the long term. Their fit is questionable and the amount of attenuation quite low. That said they should at least prevent immediate mechanical damage even if they only diminish gradual hearing loss.

In 20years time you will pay ten times what you didn't spend to get rid of the tinnitus - unfortunately you won't be able to.

Picture of Eatie
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys,
I bet you are getting a bit excited as the time nears.
I am not on your trip this time but am going out this coming Thursday so you can imagine how I feel Smiler
I hope none of you have to go what I am just going through.
I zeroed my 30-06 rifle last week-end and after a 60 round shooting session found my 'scope had 'rattled' to bits.
It is a three year old Schmidt and Bender Zenith 1.2-4x24 Flashdot.
The retailer offered to send it back to the manufacturer under warranty but said it would take six to eight weeks Mad no offer of a loan 'scope during the meantime!!
I contacted Germany direct and spoke to a very nice man who offered to turn it round within three days if I got it to him in time.
I DHL'd it to them and they received it on Friday, they have acknowledged it and said they will try their best to get it back to me by Tuesday so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
During the meantime I have mounted my other S&B Zenith 3-12x50 Flashdot on it and will use that if the other doesn't turn up in time.
Even if it doesn't turn up in time for this trip it will certainly be back in time for my next trip which is on 3rd December.
Weidemans Heil,
Eddy T McC

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm about as bummed-out as I can get from missing this trip.

They've put off my hip surgery until after the Holidays and if weren't for a good supply of Vicodin I'd be climbing the walls.

I hope you all have a great time and get a lot of shooting. We're going to need some good after-action reports with lots of photos.

I've already told my wife I'll be in Croatia nexxt November if I need to hire 2 people to carry me.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Just a note to say if any oversea member on this boar trip needs a lift between station or airport please PM me.

As my handle say I live in London ! HAH

Picture of Eatie
posted Hide Post
Just a rider to my above post.
German Efficiency wins hands down clap clap
My 'scope came back to me midday yesterday Tuesday, mounted on my rifle and zeroed by mid afternoon an am now ready to go Big Grin
In fact, it is all packed, as is my suitcase, and loaded in my vehicle all ready for the off at 5.30 tomorrow morning Smiler
I might not shoot any this trip, not everybody does, but I'm sure my group will shoot some, so I'll make sure we leave a few for your trip next week jumping Wink

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
I guess nobody needs a lift then.

OK see you all at the airport.

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
i hope you all have a great time and take lots of pictures.

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Peter has serial number 0001 rifle gone yet?

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by londonhunter:
Peter has serial number 0001 rifle gone yet?

it depends on which grade you are talking about, but PM me and we will chat Smiler

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Good luck!
Waiting for a detailed report.. Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
EU firearm pass arrived jumping

need to load some 9.3x62 round Eeker

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi chaps when you get to Heathrow you will find another party of guns going to Croatia on the same flight as you and i will be one of that group. I would like to say hello and wish you good hunting in Croatia. The weather looks mild and dry for the time of year over there as well.

Bob.

Ps.
I will be the big geordie in the que for check in dont be shy say hello

Posts: 37 | Location: Cumbria, England | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Eatie
posted Hide Post
I have just realised, both trips are going in roughly the same area, not at the same time of course.
That may make for better shooting as each group of beaters could end up driving the Boar over a bigger area towards the guns.
If one lot breaks out of the side of one Estate they may end up in the drive of the other Estate and vice versa.
Good luck to both of you but leave some for me when I go on my next trip 3rd Decmber.

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by londonhunter:
We are back !
On train from airport great hunt will repot with pictures

One of Us
Picture of profyhunter
posted Hide Post
We wait. We wait... We wait. Smiler

Phon: +498419819241
Fax: +498419819245
http://www.hunt-club-taiga.de/index.php

Posts: 556 | Location: Germany Kazakstan Kyrgyzstan | Registered: 29 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Here we go

Pity Ghubert could not make it if not the write up would have been spectacular.

Shall I leave that to Boggy since I have done the picture bit :

I hope these pictures will give you the sensation as if you were there ...............