THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 69

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, I can see it now. Little model 70, .375 B&M, Leupold 2.5, synthetic stocked, stainless steel, NECG sights, hangin on my Vero Vellini sling.
The perfect deep woods, super Ninja, swamp crawlin, 300 gr. slingin', Elk and Bear huntin smoke pole!

Then when Capo' get's his .500 finished, I could maybe get him to come on up to God's country, and take him Bear huntin' in the coast jungle. . . . Jim . . .. hint. . . hint. . .

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Hum…bear huntin… I’ve had buffalo burgers and steaks, elk burgers and steaks, deer burgers, steaks and sausages, and boar burgers and sausages…all great to good…but bear??? What are you gonna eat from a bear??? bewildered

Dennis you just want to get a green horn bear hunter up there to be your own personal bear driver! I can see it now, “Jim why don’t you skulk through that group to trees on the left and I’ll work the ones on the right.” Me skulking about half-way through that group of trees on the left I hears…”bang…bang”. And hurriedly skulking my weary butt out of there to find Dennis grinning from ear to ear while standing over his bear…shot I might say about 30 yards out of “my group of trees”. Yep, I can see it all now. animal

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bear steaks absolutely suck! BUT Bear sausage is fantastic stuff.

Nah, wouldn't do that to you Jim, but. . . . . . . . . .
Ahh, hell, who am I kiddin. . . . sure I would.

But, no, I would get you all set up with a thermos of coffee, settin up on a landing overlooking a deep canyon where I've seen lot's of bears, while I take off down one end of the canyon. Maybe chase something out where you can get a shot.

beer

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
We'll talk. I can play bear driver...just nice to know up front that's what I'm doing. Cool

Yep...can do. beer

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just bring a looong range rig. . . or you can use one of my .300s for across the canyons.

BOOM

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DWright:
Just bring a looong range rig. . . or you can use one of my .300s for across the canyons.

BOOM
Just how long range you talking about? No long range sniper here!

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not far, you saw some of the canyons here. You only shoot as far as you want. 500 yards would be plenty. More likely around 200.

My Dad called me tonight. He has a pretty big one that comes up on his back deck every night and eats the dog food. . . . .which is pretty strange, especially when you consider he doesn't have a dog!

Think he plans on trying a Tazer on it. I volunteered to be Tazed at the gunshop when the Tazer rep showed up for a demo. I think they have me on 'You tube'. Takes you right down.
I told them I did it ONCE for free. Will cost them plenty to see it again! Damn that hurt!

nilly

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
yuck I truly don't know why someone would volunteer to be tasered...or for that matter pepper sprayed. Definitely something you’ll not want to do twice.

Yep…seen the canyons…but no 500yd shots for me…the eye sights not as good and the bodies not as steady as it was 20 years ago… maybe 350yds max under optimal conditions…keep it under 250yds and I’m a much happier camper.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Dennis

Ever think of bear calling? Call some of those bears in a little closer!

M

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
Dennis

Ever think of bear calling? Call some of those bears in a little closer!

M

O yeah, haved called in a few. Had one big one come right in on top of me.
It's the best way around here. There's been lot's of them just right out in the clear cuts lately.
Myself, I'd put Jim up on a landing overlooking a large cut; and I like going into the tighter stuff and call them in close to me. Really get the adreneline goin.

Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Dwright

Ohhh, I think this close bear calling is perfect 50-458 B&M Super Short work!

M

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, but the next shot may be at 500 yards.
.375 better. . . . .

BOOM

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I can't see 500 yds, so they are all safe from me! In fact, they are pretty safe at 100 yds too! I have to get close! That's why I say call the bears in to about 5-10 yds, then blast them with the 50 Super Shorts and some of those 375 North Fork CPS!

Like this;

Here Bear, here bear, here bear!
rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
yuck Michael,

Dennis and I did discussed the 50 B&M SS while I was there in May. It would be perfect in the woods were it not for the clear cuts…they’re the killer as they can be narrow and long or both long and wide. I’ve seen deer move through the clear cuts very quickly without being hurried and imagine a bear could/would do the same. Humans though move through them very slowly due to the trash limbs and logs left on the ground after the area was clear cut.

The Oregon forests with their clear cuts dictate something that thumps up close and still has a reasonable reach for the distance shots. Much the same as all other Western states though it may be clearings rather than clear cuts. Unfortunately the little 50 B&M SS runs out of steam to handle the clear cuts/clearings. No idea how the 458 B&M SS might work…would require some testing to give thumbs up or down.

I can see 500yds but rarely can make out what it is without binoculars unless it’s a semi trailer rig… LOL …but then my comfort level stops a few hundred yards short of that. Which is the reason behind my need for a .500 caliber HP spitzer…deadly maxi-thump up close while sufficient BC and velocity from the 50 MDM to reach out for those long range shots with the 50 MDM.

Now Dennis’ 375 Ruger with its 17” barrel is a very handy rifle and works well for the clear cuts even with those 300gr Hornady RN Interlocks that he prefers. He was very accurate with this combo at 325yds and after watching he and Ron shot their rifles and handguns I have no doubt that it would work at 500yds as well…for him…just not with me behind it. Of course long range shooting with hunting loads is something that Ron and Dennis do on a regular year around basis.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Well never fear, there is a B&M for every occasion or scenario! Take your pick from 9.3, 375 or 416 B&M for that hunting I think! I am pretty darn sure that 300 yds or so is not an issue with these, with the right bullet of course. Say a 250 gr North Fork 9.3 at 2750 in the 9.3, a 270 TSX at 2750 in the 375, or a 300 TSX at 2700 in the 416 B&M. That ought to get you there?

John took a 270 Hornady up to 2790 fps in the 375 B&M this weekend. From all appearances it looks safe. Took a 235 TSX to over 2800 with zero signs, and no case expansion. This 235 might go well over 2900-2950? Seems the 375 B&M is doing well, and right now RL 15 is the powder of choice so far. He is taking elk hunting in a few weeks, I think using a 270 TSX at 2700 +. Should do fine.

Other news, Horneber will be doing a run of 500 MDM head stamped brass for us to 500 MDM specs, tentative delivery January 2011, plenty of time for hunting next year. This sorts out nicely, I suspect it will, then 9.3 and 475 B&M will be next. I am particularly pleased with this thus far.

.500 caliber 500 gr brass BBW #13 prototypes are ordered for further tests, along with a 425 gr Copper BBW #13 for the 50 B&M AK. I expect protos next week. Then I will be placing an order for production of these two.

Should not be too long before the new North Fork FPS prototypes in 68% meplats too. Not sure when the CPS production is going to run, but those are very much approved, and looking for them. Dies are ordered already for the new 450 North Fork Bonded core bullet for the 50 B&M AK, but this will also work very good in the 50 B&M and 500 MDM too.

Still lot's going on with the B&Ms! I won't let them rest eh?

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Michael, that's why I say the .375 B&M would be about perfect for my weekly workin's.

The little 9.3 rabbit caliber, not so sure however.

animal

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah Michael, that's why I say the .375 B&M would be about perfect for my weekly workin's.

The little 9.3 rabbit caliber, not so sure however.

animal

Dwright

Well I told you that the B&M family is well rounded! We have everything from Elephant to Jack Rabbits covered! The 9.3 B&M with a 250 North Fork Bonded, backed up with the NOrth Fork 286 solids should work fine on rabbits. I know that sometimes those ears flap back and can get in the way of a bullet, but I have high hopes that someone soon is going to do proper testing in this area and get back to us, the main object is to see if a North Fork 286 FPS can fully penetrate end to end on a big Jack? Time will tell!

M

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
This one was only about 15 yds, pissed and slapping the water.
LOL

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well never fear, there is a B&M for every occasion or scenario! Take your pick from 9.3, 375 or 416 B&M for that hunting I think! I am pretty darn sure that 300yds or so is not an issue with these, with the right bullet of course. Say a 250gr North Fork 9.3 at 2750 in the 9.3, a 270 TSX at 2750 in the 375, or a 300 TSX at 2700 in the 416 B&M. That ought to get you there?
LOL... well I've already stated that I was more than pleasantly surprised with the accuracy of your AI stocked 416 B&M at 325yds! It and your AI stocked 50 B&M are my favorite B&M rifles…to date.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
This one was only about 15 yds, pissed and slapping the water.
LOL

Thank you very much...I'll be very comfortable with a 50 B&M, 50 MDM, or 500 MDM that up close and personal. Though the 416 B&M would likely do nicely.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have to work from 0 to 500 for my use. . . . . . . . Spells .375

That's a nice little Bear!

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Dang Dennis…I don’t know how you use that little 2x scope for 500yd shooting!!! I require a whole lot more than that for 300yd shooting!

Yep nice little Bear whose about ready to be a nice little DEAD Bear if I have gun in hand and it gets that close to me! You sure you want me bear huntin with you!

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now Jim, contrary to popular belief, you don't need high power scopes for big game.
I had better luck on a 8"x8" block at 500 yards with my .375 and it's little 2.5 Leupold, then a friends .280 Rem. with a 14 power Leupold with them stupid little range finder lines in it. That thing looked like a bazooka!
Nope, no big scopes for me. Hell, the highest power scopes I have are the 1.5-5s; that's it. Never felt underpowered. But I have had problems up close and personal with a 3x9 set on just 3x, with animals at about 8 feet. Won't own another one.

Don't get me wrong here Jim, I don't condone loooong range shooting of game at all, and would rather see the whites of their eyes, and the fur fly at the pull of the trigger. But 2-300 yards is a chip shot. With my .300 WM, you put the 5x cross hair on the shoulder at 300 yards and touch her off. Then I'll bring the skinnin knife.

Now I will have to admit, that if all my shots could be under 200, I'd much prefer Michaels .458 or .50 B&M rifles. And I'd mount a light weight matte finished 2.5 leupold on it.
In fact the next rifle I buy will be a B&M of some caliber. But for my use it may very well be the .375.

Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Dennis I don’t think I could hold a 14 power steady from a rest let alone in the field hunting. Me I just can’t go for the fixed power scopes anymore the eyes are too old and tired so I’ll take a variable… give me lens clarity and eye relief, followed by scope weight. If shots are likely going to be up close and personal make it a 1x4 or even a 1.5x5…but if up close and personal is a rarity then make it a 2x7, a 2.5x8 or a newer 2.5x10….sure makes life easier on these old eyes.

LOL…I reckon a 300yd shot is a chip shot for you…if I practiced as much as you and Ron it’d be a chip shot for me as well…unfortunately it’s not that easy in SoCal these days…so until I can permanently get out of this state it’ll remain a long range shot for me.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
John has some samples of the new 375 B&M on the way to me. Can't wait to see them, and will get them posted when they arrive, should be this week. So far it seems to be doing pretty good. At least for a 375, whatever one does with one of those?

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
John has some samples of the new 375 B&M on the way to me. Can't wait to see them, and will get them posted when they arrive, should be this week. So far it seems to be doing pretty good. At least for a 375, whatever one does with one of those?

M

popcorn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO the 9.3 would be perfect for this area and terrain. Zero at 300 yds, and you would be good to go for anything from 50-400+ yds. And the .35 has more than enough thump for any game around here. Except for the rare "Timber Rhino", and ya don't see them very often.

Ron

"Isn't it pretty to think so."

Posts: 148 | Location: Cascade Foot Hills | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D B Cooper:
IMHO the 9.3 would be perfect for this area and terrain. Zero at 300 yds, and you would be good to go for anything from 50-400+ yds. And the .35 has more than enough thump for any game around here. Except for the rare "Timber Rhino", and ya don't see them very often.

Ron

Ya. . . . what he said. . . .

I just like the .375 a little better simply for the bullet selection. But yup, the 9.3 would be a better blend then the big stuff for our game and terrain for sure.

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by D B Cooper:

Ron

Ya. . . . what he said. . . .

I just like the .375 a little better simply for the bullet selection. But yup, the 9.3 would be a better blend then the big stuff for our game and terrain for sure.
You mean I can’t use my new upcoming super duper .500 caliber HP spitzer on your critters??? Frowner

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I got new samples from John today of the new 375 B&M. So I took some photos to update the current B&M Family.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GREAT LINE-UP!!!

Posts: 2833 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
The Current Super Short Family--475 Super Short in the works!

The .500 Caliber Family

And the Entire Family of B&Ms

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
GREAT LINE-UP!!!

Like that bullet in the 500 MDM and 50 B&M. Very quickly becoming a favorite. Between the #13 and the new North Forks, those will be my solids in the future and the North Fork CPS my choice of .500 caliber expanding.

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Noticed that it looks like a 540 #13 in the MDM and so when will we see the results?

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
If I had to guess right now it will be next week before I get back to work on terminals. Boss still has me on "Cleanup Duty". It's been a long week here!

Yes by the way, 540 BBW#13 in the 500 MDM and a 506 BBW #13 in the 50. CEB run may be in next week too. I hope. Received the new 470 and 510 bullets yesterday. Very Excellent by the way. Almost posted them on that thread about double rifle bullets, but was too scared to do so, get my ass kicked out again down there-HEH HEH.

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking line up there Michael. The whole Fam damily!

Looks like everything is covered to. Anything smaller in caliber is useless.

jumping

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Very nice lineup Michael.

Sam your #13s look much better than the Barnes FN style.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim,

You know I was always a RN man and then fell in love with the radius ogive flatnose. Now that #13 is turning my head. I guess there will always be something pretty that will turn your head.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
The new 260 gr Cutting Edge 9.3 bullets have arrived.

Terminals are great.

Accuracy is about as good as I can do.

Available if anyone needs any.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
The new 260 gr Cutting Edge 9.3 bullets have arrived.

Terminals are great.

Accuracy is about as good as I can do.

Available if anyone needs any.

Michael
That should do just fine in the 9.3s...

Jim coffee
John Wayne